Reply To: Tenchi And The 1990s

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Tenchi And The 1990s Reply To: Tenchi And The 1990s

VyseLegendaire wrote:

So in a bunch of ways, the 1990s -the 2000s was an unrepeatable trend that was a one-off time for anime (not to mention manga, and video games just as much so) which can never be repeated, in which a great deal of creativity and ingenuity had to be poured into new properties to try and squeeze profits out of a crunching economy, and overseas licensing was a major part of this effort – which increases today even as anime industry is frankly not very lucrative at all compared to the old days of 1980s (just look at simulcasts, overseas releases of manga picking up steam and being closer to their original than ever before, and this trend is reflected in the gaming world as well with smaller US publishers releasing smaller budget games from Japan at a regular pace, something once deemed impossible).

The way the industry is now is sort of like trying to squeeze blood from a stone, so to speak – desperation for profits at every turn, ingenuity falling by the wayside, and a move toward mobile devices, pay-to-play reading/watching subscriptions, f2p games with in-game purchases, etc. – all new business models to try and counter the loss of purchasing power on the part of consumers over time. And consider how pathetic BD/DVD sales generally are in Japan, and yet anime companies rely on these for profit. Videogames sell alot more #s wise but they also cost more to develop… and expectation levels for a *success* have fallen over the years.

I don’t think so. When early licensors approached Japanese producers and distributors, they were constantly surprised about the overseas popularity and considerations for international releases of series both old (1970s and 1980s, except maybe Yamato and Macross) and new (1990s and early 2000s). Even people involved with the localization of anime were surprised about large fanbases. Of course, I’m referring to Petrea Burchard and all the fan mail she received from the very beginning.

I suppose anime releases have become like video games with more consistent global release dates, but otherwise can’t be compared.

Dagon123 wrote:

So basically everything Ghibli has ever done, including Nausicaa? lol I don’t see how that makes Tenchi look better

VyseLegendaire wrote:

And for why does Miyazaki post-1970 make Tenchi better, maybe he is saying Miyazakis work became watered down? But a funny way to beat around the bush.

Let’s say if Hamtaro was considered the number one best anime ever, with Cowboy Bebop coming in second. Would you consider Cowboy Bebop number one over a petty children’s show? I’m not saying Ghibli films are the latter, but they’re certainly different to conventional anime (shonen, seinen, and many shojo series). I don’t think you can place Tenchi in a standing with Porco Rosso, or Cowboy Bebop with Hamtaro. Each are in completely different leagues.

As for Cowboy Bebop and Tenchi… well I like Tenchi better, so sue me.

Dagon123 wrote:

For shiggles, I decided to do the math and include ANN’s rating numbers, as well as Myanimelist’s, (also a point of note, for the Anime Planet ratings in my original post, I removed the ratings associated with the “Want to Watch” and the “Won’t Watch” category so that much like MAL and ANN, it was only based on user who had actually rated it and not just “seen”)

VyseLegendaire wrote:

It’s funny to note that the ratings and places associated with each anime almost doesn’t change, and in one case identical, so while you may use ANN, it is in no way better or more accurate overall than either of the other 2 sites, in fact really all it does is show that most people don’t use it.

Quote:

I guess youre right about that, I always noticed that ANN had a low amount of scores for many series but an inordinately high amount for certain popular ones. But I do post my ratings on MyAnimeList for personal use. Its interesting to see pretty uniform ratings across the board.

ANN is one of the earliest western anime sites, but the rating system in the encyclopedia came later. As I said, it’s more in depth unlike MAL and AP, where anyone can just sign up and downvote something and automatically count.