Reply To: Pros and Cons of the Tenchi-Verses

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Pros and Cons of the Tenchi-Verses Reply To: Pros and Cons of the Tenchi-Verses

Cardboard Marty
    Participant
    none

ChaudSept wrote:

It’s true that anyone who hate (like really hate) harem stuff shouldn’t like Tenchi that much.. Even though i didn’t have a big harem-feel watching OVA1 or TU.

I think that’s the thing, with OVA1 and TU, it’s a boring dude surrounded by a bunch of females, but I never got the impression that it was about “girl collecting” and eventually “procreate and marry them all”. By OVA3 there are just so many women in the house (and thus characters) that the time is fragmented between them and thus nobody really gets to develop as much as they should.

PROS:

• Strong female personalities (which according to Kajishima don’t exist in real life, apparently!

• …the entire series has been misappropriated by Kajishima (and others) as some sort’ve shitty self-insert fanfic. Somewhere along the lines, the franchise went from being a really neat fusion of action, romance, and drama to what Julia once called “girl collecting”. Look at Ai for instance. We have a ton of new cast members who literally serve no other purpose than to be one dimensional (aka having one specific character trait), and be objects to latch onto Tenchi or whatever. Kajishima’s ultimate endgame for Tenchi is for him to break character, the girls to break character, everybody screws everybody, because I’m sure that’s what pitches Kajishima’s tent. Tenchi went from being a fairly unremarkable nobody who gained super powers thanks to his bloodline, to a literal god who is actually a SUPER god above all other gods because why not?

“But Marty, Kajishima had nothing to do with Ai!”

And I’m aware! The biggest point I’m trying to make is that the series has been shoved into this “harem” genre when it used to be so much more. I didn’t come to the series because “MAN I WANNA BE LIKE TENCHI AND HAVE 12 GIRLFRIENDS”, I was attracted because of the strong, adventurous personalities and fantastic story telling, and hell, even THE ROMANCE. When your newest series opens up with a “panty gag”, you’ve got a problem.

• With that being said, this is a personal point, I really do want them to try to add some closure to Tenchi’s romantic life. Even if it ends in (!!!) a break-up or something drastic, or plain doesn’t work out, why wouldn’t this dude give it a try? On one hand, I understand that the implication is “well if Tenchi chooses, there wouldn’t be a story!”, but I disagree. If anything it opens up a whole new avenue of storytelling that could lead to some really INTERESTING stories for everyone involved!
  • There hasn’t been an animated version of the manga. Seriously, OKUDA WHERE YOU AT BRO
  • I have a bunch more for pros AND cons, but I’m gonna be making a video on them pretty soon. woo?