Reply To: Kajishima Onsen 15.03 + Special – Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki 4

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Manga / Doujinshi / Light Novel Kajishima Onsen 15.03 + Special – Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki 4 Reply To: Kajishima Onsen 15.03 + Special – Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki 4

AstroNerdBoy

Ukinojo92 wrote:

I am exited for OVA 4, as does any other fan, but I also live in fear of it. This is what I think: Kajishima will pick up from OVA 3 and still have Norike, and he is going to gives a story line that doesn’t get explained well.

Well, of course he’s going to have Noike. She’s been around since 1994.

That said, you are correct in that all of the OVA’s have a problem on the explanation front. For OVA 1, it was the limitation of the OVA format (six 30 minute episodes). All of this story that Kajishima-sensei had just couldn’t fit into that format. That’s why we got “101 Mysteries of Tenchi Muyo” to help answer those questions. Kajishima-sensei had a website for a time where he took questions. And he took his background materials and published them in doujinshi form. He also published the three Tenchi novels after OVA 2 ended and OVA 3 was put on the shelf by Pioneer in favor of cheaper retellings in the TV series format (Tenchi Universe; Tenchi in Tokyo; Pretty Sammy).

For OVA 3, I think Kasjishima-sensei’s problem was that he got bogged down in telling the “day in a life” story of the Tenchi household and neglected the main story until the very end. Kajishima-sensei enjoys tat kind of story these days, as demonstrated in his doujinshi.

Quote:

Kajishima has established what Tenchi is in his mind and will not deviate from it, no matter what anyone says.

Well, in all fairness, it is his story. If you were an author and were writing what you wanted to write (and it was selling quite well in the only market you really care about), are you going to care what foreign fans are complaining about? Japanese fans get doujinshi, novels, interviews, etc. We in the West get whatever tidbits we can get, depending on if someone is willing to translate the materials (and translate them accurately). So they get all of this extra stuff that we don’t, which allows them to have a more positive view of OVA 3.

(Indeed, as someone who learned a ton from knowledgeable fans, including English-speaking Japanese fans back in the day, OVA 3 saw many things I’d hoped for brought to life, even if the overall execution of OVA 3 sucked.)

I do believe that Kajishima-sensei worked best when he has a focusing lens, which is what Hayashi-sensei was in OVA 1, but I believe Kajishima-sensei is a prima donna who doesn’t want anyone telling him anything.

As to OVA 4, I’m not getting excited until details from the doujinshi are released.

As to what OVA 4 would be about, I think we have a clue from the -If- doujinshi issues. The old AIC interview from Kajishima-sensei had him asked about an OVA 4 and he too wondered what that would be about since OVA 3 ends the main story. So I think that if there’s an OVA 4, it will be day in the life stuff, and there might be some event that causes Tenchi and company to become engaged at the end.