Reply To: Marriage Equality

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat Marriage Equality Reply To: Marriage Equality

WisperG

SnowQueen wrote:

I strongly dislike it when people use the Bible as a excuse to belittle others or to slam down others that is not what the Bible is meant for at all. People who use it especially to damn gay people is eye rolling to me and very hypocritical. sorry but i had to get it off my chest and i hope this doesn’t offend anybody. That’s not my goal at all.

This is very true. The people who do that are kind of missing the whole point. While the Bible may not approve of gay marriage, nowhere in there does it say to be belittle or condemn others. In fact, it explicitly says the exact opposite. To treat other religions and those who share differing beliefs with respect, even if we don’t agree with them. Y’know, “love thy neighbor” and all that. Something a lot of overzealous religious folk seem to forget. They make the rest of us look bad.

Having said that, and since we’re already on the subject, a lack of respect is a common problem on both sides of big arguments that people have very, very strong opinions about. Not supporting gay marriage for religious reasons does not automatically make you a close-minded, anti-gay bigot. Something a lot of overzealous pro-LGBT folk seem to forget. They make the level-headed supporters look bad.

The unfortunate thing is that these vocal minorities (I hope) from both sides are the loudest and butt heads with the other side the most. Since that’s often what regular people encounter most frequently, it taints the mass’s perception of the other side’s attitude. These types of people are really doing more harm than good to the reputations of both sides of, not just this, but any big argument really.