Reply To: Steven Muyo! A Steven Universe/ Tenchi Crossover

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction Steven Muyo! A Steven Universe/ Tenchi Crossover Reply To: Steven Muyo! A Steven Universe/ Tenchi Crossover

drillmaster
    Chapter Six: Greg Makes a Friend

As the sun started to set on the dark Okayama landscape, a small car made its way through the wilderness and parked itself in its usual resting spot. It’s lone occupant got out of the vehicle, stretched a bit, and made his way toward the house he built.

“Well…the house doesn’t look damaged today…” he told himself.”Maybe the girls had a calm, peaceful day for once.”

He sighed as he walked down the path, clutching his briefcase as he went. The past year had been a crazy one for Nobuyuki Masaki. In that time, he had gained five house guests, saw his house get moved from the suburbs to the area next to his Father In Law’s shrine, and watched his Son grow into a man.

It was also a time of great reflection on his late wife, Kiyone.

Though he had been told of her true Juraian ancestry after they wed, nothing could have prepared him for the dark day she died. It was as if the planet didn’t agree with her. She told Nobuyuki to remarry once she knew that she was going to pass, but the man just couldn’t do it. He liked to play around with the various women in the house and take up the role of the lecherous pervert, but his heart beat for only one woman.

And now that heart beat only for his son’s continued happiness.

“Sounds like there is quite a commotion going on in there,” Nobuyuki observed once he got close enough to the house. “I wonder if Ryoko refilled the sake. Lord knows after the exhausting day I had I could use some.”

As he was about to open the door, Nobuyuki swore he heard…a violin? “Do I even want to know?”

He got his answer when he slid the door to the side and got a good view of his living room. A giant amp was being set up by Washu and a gentleman Nobuyuki had never seen before. While this was going on, a young boy and girl were playing on what appeared to be a ukulele and a violin respectively. They seemed to be putting on a small show while Sasami and another unknown person (with a rock on her forehead?) were bringing out copious amounts of food and liquor.

“What…what is going on?!” Nobuyuki asked in his native Japanese tongue.

The two children stopped playing and observed the mustachioed, bespectacled man. Then the boy clapped his hands and excitedly said “New person!”

“Wha?”Nobuyuki was clearly caught off guard by the change in language. “Tenchi, there are people in our house speaking English…and one of them is purple! Can you please explain things for your old man?”

“Well,” Tenchi started to scratch the back of his head in an aloof manner. “Washu…”

“Say no more. I understand Son,” he closed his eyes and nodded. “Aliens?”

“Some of them.”

“Ah.”

Washu crossed her arms and pouted. “What is THAT supposed to mean?!”

“Sorry for crashing in your pad without you knowing,” the balding man who was fiddling with the amp told him. “I mean, we thought that we were invited. It’s honestly really complicated and I can barely follow along, but I’m Greg. Greg Universe.”

He came up to shake his hand, which Nobuyuki readily accepted. “Nobuyuki Masaki. Make yourself at home. So, what are we celebrating?”

“It’s a welcoming party Nobuyuki,” Katsuhito, who had made his way from the kitchen, told him. “To show our guests how hospitable we truly are.”

Realizing he was not going to get a straighter answer than that, Nobuyuki shrugged and got himself comfortable while the others had their own conversations around them, save the tall woman with the sunglasses and the afro. She seemed to be keeping quiet in the corner. “So Greg, what do you play?”

“Oh, lots of things, mainly guitar. Washu here was going to build one with her computer doohickey so I could jam with my kid and his friend,” Greg said, pointing to the two children.

“Hello!” Steven waved and then went back to strumming his ukulele.

Nobuyuki smiled. “What do you know, another Father around here! I’m used to just women, but I guess it had to happen eventually. I assume one of the other girls here is your wife?”

Greg’s smiled faltered for a second. “The Gems? Nah, my wife’s no longer with us. She gave up her physical form to bring Steven here into the world.”

It took Nobuyuki a few seconds to mentally translate what Greg had just told him, but when it clicked, blank shock appeared on his face. “You are an only Father too?”

“Yep. I mean, Steven has the other Gems looking out for him and teaching him how to use his Mother’s magical powers…”

“…your wife was a magician?”

“Alien Gem actually. I know, crazy isn’t it?”

The elder Masaki looked from the boy to his Father and then to his own Son. “Holy crap. It isn’t crazy at all. I lost my Kiyone when Tenchi was very young.”

Greg suddenly caught onto what he was saying. “And he’s like some kind of alien royalty, right?”

The two men grew silent as the conversations went on around them. In this moment, both of them realized that they were both two of the only people on the planet that experienced the same tragic circumstances.

“Holy crap.”

*SM*

“Let’s play a game!” Washu said after the jam session where Greg, Steven, and Connie performed for a bit. The session had ended after Ronaldo (who had asked Washu to make him a synthesizer and an outfit comparable to Mark Mothersbaugh) attempted to join in and blew up the newly created speaker system and caused Ryoko to spill her drink all over Mihoshi.

“Games! I love games!” Steven clapped his hands.

“Good, then you’ll love this one,” she smirked. “Each of you is going to get a piece of paper. I am going to lock you up, two at a time, and you are going to have to ask and answer any and all questions you might have about each other.”

“Yay!”

Tenchi blinked and sighed. “That’s not how games work Miss Washu. That’s more of…”

He stopped when he saw the death glare that Washu was giving him.

“So…let’s see who’s first…”

*SM*

“So you can fly, walk through walls, shoot your hair like they are needles, create bursts of energy, merge into solid matter, summon ghosts, teleport, shrink matter, send telepathic thoughts, control the little bunny cat thing, balance your metabolism, create a floating hot spring, and can convert water so it can’t conduct electricity?” Ronaldo asked scribbling down everything he could on Ryoko, who could care less. “That’s astounding!”

“Oh,” she shrugged. “I forgot. I can also create an energy sword…”

She stretched out her hand and her gem glowed red. In a moment, the weapon materialized and Ronaldo’s jaw dropped.

“You…you made a LIGHTSABER?!”

“If that’s what you want to call it.”

“You are literally the coolest person I have ever met!” Ronaldo whispered with glee.

*SM*

“So what type of work do you do?” Greg asked Nobuyuki with interest.

“I’m an architect actually,”

“Get out!”

“Don’t tell me you’re an architect too?!”

“Nah,” Greg laughed. “But I DID help design and build Steven’s house.”

“No kidding?” Nobuyuki was floored at how alike the two men were. “Along the same lines, I’ve dabbled in singing from time to time. Can’t say I’m at your level, but I know my way around a karaoke bar.”

“What are you into man?”

“Eh,” Nobuyuki scratched his head, thinking of American music that he enjoyed. “The Beatles, They Might Be Giants, The Philosophy Majors…”

“Dude!” Greg interjected. “I think we just became friends!”

Nobuyuki thought about it for a half second before nodding. “Yup!”

*SM*

“…and then I turned on the weather machine and it started to snow inside! Miss Washu was mad at me for a bit but then she hugged me and we played around in the snow for a while!” Mihoshi could not stop talking. “Do you like the snow?”

“It’s alright,” Garnet gave a short nod. She had tried to be clear that she wasn’t going to get involved in this “game,” but somehow she had been placed with the ever persistent Mihoshi.

“I love the snow! It’s so fun to play in! It reminds me of my home planet where it snowed a lot sometimes! I used to play with my brother Misao before we joined the Galaxy Police and…”

*SM*

Washu and Connie sat down and regarded each other. The girl had impressed the genius with her tenacity and, as such, wanted to know more about her.

“Tell me something, does being involved with magic and aliens ever bother you? Surely it must be overwhelming sometimes,” Washu asked.

“Are you playing psychologist?” Connie rose an eyebrow.

“…and if I am?”

“Just curious. Honestly, I love hanging out with Steven and the Gems! My parents can be really strict sometimes, even though I know they are doing it because they love me, but sometimes I just want to be free! I’ve always read about stuff like this in my books, but to LIVE it?” Connie went on, really showing her passion for her friends. “I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“Do you care if I play Devil’s Advocate for a moment?” Washu asked, sitting back in a chair.

Connie thought about it and nodded. “Only if I can do the same to you if I get the chance.”

“Done. Based on the weapons and up to date fighting styles, I am going to assume that the Gems often get into serious altercations.”

Connie nodded. “Yeah, there are a lot of Gem monsters that seem to attack them.”

“Aren’t you afraid of getting hurt, or getting Steven hurt?”

“Steven and I can handle anything together. I’ve been training under Pearl in the art of swordplay,” Connie smiled.

The pink haired girl nodded her head and gave a look of approval. “Impressive. It’s rare for a human your age to be able to keep up with a Gem. You should talk to Tenchi’s Grandfather while your here. Maybe he can give you some lessons.”

“Maybe I will. Mind if I ask you something?”

“It’s only fair.”

“Why do you stay here? Is it because of Tenchi, to be with Ryoko, or something else?”

The scientist thought about it and shrugged. “Can’t I pick both?”

“You can, but I’d know you were hiding something.”

“The truth is,” Washu sighed. “Tenchi is as much of a mystery to me as my gems. He has so many hidden talents that just don’t add up. I want, no NEED, to know what makes him tick.”

She regarded the confused expression on Connie’s face and smiled. “But yes, I do care deeply for my little Ryoko and dear Tenchi. You happy yet?”

“…maybe.”