Just another old Tenchi fan.

Forums Getting Started Welcoming Forum Just another old Tenchi fan.

• This topic is empty.
    Hey all. CamCabbit here. I’ve been into all things Tenchi Muyo roughly since it first aired on Toonami back in summer of 2000. I had a lot of free time then, as I was pretty much in and out of the hospital a lot because of Crohn’s Disease. After a few months, I eventually got decent internet and started looking for more Tenchi Muyo related stuff. If you’ve been into Tenchi for a while, you’ll probably remember a site called TenchiZone, and it’s forum. Over a few years of being on the forum, I (as my original screenname: camintmier) ended up with admin powers in order to help the owner, Simfreak, fighting spam bots that kept trying to post. Eventually other, better anime sites were popping up, and there wasn’t much activity going on on TZ, so from my knowledge, Sim let the hosting run out on the site. Oh well, nothing lasts forever. I still keep in contact with some of the old TZ members from time to time on Facebook.

Tenchi Muyo was a “gateway drug” for me into the world of anime. Growing up, all I knew of animated shows were what was shown on saturday morning cartoons (Transformers, X-Men, Pokemon, Digimon). Tenchi Muyo opened my eyes to amazing shows such as Evangelion, Full Metal Panic, Cowboy Bebop and more…

Well, that’s enough for now. Any questions?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      Welcome to the forum!

It’s always nice to see older Internet Tenchi fans find their way back to the carnival, especially the individuals who had a part behind the scenes. (and don’t be shy in inviting anyone back!)

Enjoy your stay!

Almael
      Welcome back!

I remember your troubles, and how often you disappeared. I hope you are better these days.

camcabbit
      Thanks. Still got my troubles, but they’re not as bad as they could be. I’ll definitely see if anyone I’m still in contact with wants to join up, though a lot of them have moved on with their lives, so I won’t make any promises.
      Nil Admirari
      none
      TenchiZone is one of the few places I visited online back in the day. I never actively participated in the forums part, but I have memories of visiting the place here and there. Great to have you back!

My first internet friend developed Crohn’s Disease in 2005-2006, sorry to hear that you yourself suffer from such. Though, it is good that things are better! Welcome to Tenchiforum, CamCabbit! kiyonesmile1 Hope you enjoy your stay.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Welcome back to the fold! I’m always especially happy to see older fans find their way back to the party :) Thank you for all of the good work you did for the fandom back in the day, and I hope you will find that the old magic is still going strong here!

Since you invited questions, I will ask you one! :) Have you ever read the Tenchi manga series? It was a really cool, and criminally overlooked piece of the Tenchi franchise, and I think old school fans are especially susceptible to its charms.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you around, and I hope you make yourself at home!

camcabbit

chucklocker wrote:

Have you ever read the Tenchi manga series?

Oddly enough, I haven’t read much of either of the two manga series. I think I’ve probably read about half of the first chapters in each. I guess I’ve never been much of a manga fan, same with comics too.

Currently I have the following Tenchi related items:

OVA 1 & 2 on DVD full series (Geneon Signature series)

OVA 3 on DVD full series (Funimation – The 3 DVD set that comes with the metal artbox)

GXP full series (Funimation – Police Diary dual disc box)

As far as non-Tenchi related items, I have:

RWBY Vol 1 & 2 (both Blu-ray and DVD versions) I’m almost into this series as much as I am into Tenchi Muyo.

Gundam Wing – Dvds 2 thru 5 (Hong Kong “Anime Mac” version that I got at my local thrift shop)

I’m looking to eventually pick up the rest of the Tenchi series’, though I already have ‘downloaded’ versions of them all. For me, money is always tight, so it’s generally a “Do I buy a new dvd or pay this months bills?” situation. Oh well, that’s life.

Edit: Doing some more digging, it looks like the Gundam Wing stuff is in fact a bootleg. According to this forum over on Megatokyo, the email address that’s written on the dvd basically signifies that it’s a bootleg. Weird thing is, it’s a pressed disc, and looks completely professional, outside of it only having japanese audio, and english, chinese, and japanese subtitles…

The Chinese subs are pretty good clue that they’re bootlegs. Kiyofacepalm1

Any way welcome.

Funny thing with me is that I actually saw Dual before I got around to watching the main

Tenchi series with OVAs 1 and 2.Then I guess I do things backwards a lot of the time. 😆

BTW:FWIW:My gateway into Anime was the old Anime Unleashed block on what was then the

soawesome1 Techtv network.Which is why I saw Dual first.

camcabbit
      Yes! I couldn’t get enough of anything on TechTV. I watched the Screen Savers & Call for Help religiously. I still am in a way, as Leo Laporte ended up creating his own podcast network, TWiT. A lot of the old TechTV hosts and staff followed him over. Patrick Norton, who co-hosted TSS currently co-hosts TWICW (This Week in Computer Hardware), and is often on the This Week in Tech podcast. A few others, like Megan Morone, Sarah Lane, and a few others are on various shows too.

I remember watching Dual, Crest of the Stars, Serial Experiments Lain, and a whole host of other shows. I still wish bad things upon whoever decided to turn TechTV into G4. sakuyafinger1 Back when it was all first airing in late 2002, I had just turned 22 and was recovering from a bowel resection surgery because of the Crohn’s Disease, so I had a ton of time on my hands, recovering from getting my intestines cut and spliced like you would a garden hose.

As soon as I saw that the shows were geared more towards mature audiences, I realized these weren’t my normal saturday morning cartoons. I was hooked, and still am to this day. Hell, I’ve wrote or am still writing fanfics, albeit very slowly, about some of the shows, Tenchi included! You don’t do that normally unless you’re a very dedicated fan.

Back in the day, I didn’t even know Dual was related to the Tenchi universe in general. Needless to say, I was surprised when I watched War on Geminar.

Nil Admirari
      none
      TechTV was fantastic, I loved all of the various types of tech-oriented programming. EyeDrops for CG animated shorts was such a great segment. Always tuned in for The Screen Savers, followed Kevin Rose, Patrick Norton, Martin Sergeant and some of the others around after they left. Used to listen to a lot of podcasts when I started college and got really into TWiT and all of the side guests. I still refer to Dvorak as John C. Dvorak.org/blog out of memetic habit. I haven’t tuned in for at least two years now though, just had other interests in mind and not as much time to sit down with it.

I was really sad to see it fall down the cesspool of G4TechTV. Once most of the personalities left, it just wasn’t TechTV anymore. But they’re all on to bigger and mostly better things now. What a time it was, though.

Yes…Techtv truelly was soawesome1 .

Funny thing is I got into anime because Anime Unleashed originally came right after Thunderbirds.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Glad to be a spot where “old fans” can stop by. Welcome!
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.