El-Hazard: The Magnificent Thread

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime El-Hazard: The Magnificent Thread

• This topic is empty.
    none
    You know what’s silly? Though many of us here enjoy it, and it has many connections to Tenchi, we don’t have a specific place for El-Hazard love…or rather we didn’t until now!

Anything related to El-Hazard goes here, like favorite characters, questions about the series, whatever! If the need arises we can always expand and make more threads later.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/el_hazard_group2_zps84946b3b.jpg" />

Since I’m fairly new to experiencing this series (thanks chuck!) I’ll make my first post simply about spreading the good word: see this series! Fantastic setting, fun and engaging plot, and, like Tenchi, populated with an eclectic, memorable cast of characters (easily its greatest strength).

I could go on I will continue later, but for now I’m passing the mic.

Viewing 150 reply threads
  • Replies
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

it has many connections to Tenchi

I’m sure that’s debatable to some, exaggerated to others. ;)

Sure there’s the director, the animation studio, the in-joke crossovers in with Pretty Sammy, Mr. Fujisawa as Tenchi’s homeroom teacher (TiT) and of coursehttp://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/wiki/images/9/9c/Screenshot_3_195.jpg" />

evil blue Kiyone ;)
      … but it stands alone.

That said, I think I like the first OVA more than most Tenchi.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

it has many connections to Tenchi

Sure there’s the director, the animation studio, the in-joke crossovers in Pretty Sammy, Mr. Fujisawa as Tenchi’s homeroom teacher (TiT) and of coursehttp://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/wiki/images/9/9c/Screenshot_3_195.jpg" />

evil blue Kiyone ;)
      … but it stands alone.

Ah, I think I see what you’re getting at: yes, I should have worded that more specifically, as it is entirely stand alone in relation to Tenchi (unlike Kaji’s multiverse approach) but, as you are well aware, in our world the connections are indeed many.

(Debatable to some? Really? Not sure why, because as you just listed, a lot of people who worked on Tenchi OVA1 worked on EH OVA.)

Nobuyuki wrote:

That said, I think I like the first OVA more than most Tenchi.

You know, I’ve heard others on this very forum say the same thing, which was one of the reasons I just had to check it out at that point. Even though Tenchi’s my No. 1 I can’t in any way shoot that down, because it is really, really good.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

is entirely stand alone in relation to Tenchi

By debatable, I meant I’m one of those who don’t relate it to Tenchi. ;)

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

is entirely stand alone in relation to Tenchi

By debatable, I meant I’m one of those who don’t relate it to Tenchi. ;)

Well, if we were to go with theories on how it COULD be related to Tenchi (in-jokes aside)…

Anonymous
      Not really sure what happened here but apparently only the initial run of the Blu-ray box of OVA 1 went out and currently any other re-release has been postponed indefinitely, which is a shame considering that the blu-ray box had the dub.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/GNXA-1060

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I love El Hazard!

I had always heard tell of the many similarities and “connections” between EH and Tenchi, but I held off actually watching it for over two years. Easily one of the dumbest choices I’ve made since getting back into anime! El Hazard OVA 1 is so incredibly like Tenchi Muyo! it’s clear as day that they are both children of Hiroki Hayashi. I agree entirely with Who and Nobuyuki in saying that El Hazard ≥ Tenchi Muyo!, broadly speaking. It’s so refreshing to find another series that radiates all the same qualities that make TM! so engaging and fun. I CANNOT recommend this series enough for fans of Tenchi, or fans of fun and fantasy in general!

Currently, I’ve only seen the two OVA series (of which I enjoyed the first slightly more), and half of the TV series, which is LITERALLY El Hazard’s equivalent of Tenchi Universe. I’m probably getting redundant at this point, but watching this franchise all the way through is like rediscovering Tenchi. Two OVAs, two TV series, released in almost the same order, and each possessing the nearly the same qualities! I just wish that El Hazard had gotten a movie or two, like Tenchi and AIC’s other big 90’s franchise, Ah! My Goddess, did. And boy oh boy, could they have made one hell of a movie!

I’ll wrap up this post (the first of many, I’m sure), with a brief recounting of my favorite characters from the show. First and foremost there is Katsuhiko Jinnai. This guy. He is so hilariously over-the-top evil, and so ridiculously convoluted in his scheming that he unintentionally becomes the most lovable and charismatic character in the show! Plus, his laugh is without a doubt the greatest laugh in all of anime! Next up is the perpetual boozer Masamichi Fujisawa. A history teacher ( 8-) ) and chronic alcoholic, Fujisawa is the ultimate bro. While everyone around him is freaked out about the craziness of the world, he’s just looking for his next drink. He and the MC, Makoto Mizuhara, develop such a great rapport that their banter by the end is legendary. Finally, is the bombastic priestess of fire, Shayla Shayla. Cut from the same cloth as our own hard playing space pirate Ryoko, Shayla is a brash, hot headed tomboy who prefers to charge headlong into a fight. These three are far from the only great characters from EH, but they are the ones that never cease to entertain!

Well, that’s it for now. What about everyone else?

If anything, I’m wondering how it is that the infinite loop gets closed, as El Hazard (OAVs plus the ‘Alternative World’ series) has one of those as a plot point. Is that ever explained in a light novel or manga?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      The loop was closed at the end of OVA 1 episode 7.

Everything in OVA 2 and AW happened before the ending scene in episode 7. :ugeek: (Notice Ifurita proper isn’t in either series.) ;)

CrazyCabbit
      My favorite of all is the first OVA of El Hazard. When I first watched the OVA, It felt like visiting “A whole new world” from the alternate side of this very same world we live in. And my favorite character has to be Mr. Fujisawa because he was a awesome character (and strongest) to be in a magnificent world to grow up… TO BE! And I saw him as a role model, sort of.

Nobuyuki wrote:

Everything in OVA 2 and AW happened before the ending scene in episode 7. :ugeek: (Notice Ifurita proper isn’t in either series.) ;)

Still doesn’t explain events post-‘Alternative World’ into episode 1/7 of OAV 1.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      You’ll have to refresh me.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Still doesn’t explain events post-‘Alternative World’ into episode 1/7 of OAV 1.

I probably shouldn’t jump in here, as I’ve only seen OVA 1 as of this post, but I’ll risk it. If I’m understanding the question correctly, and the fact that apparently OVA 2 events actually take place before events of OVA 1, isn’t a causality loop, by definition, “closed”?

Meaning there’s not a “beginning” or “end” in a strict linear sense, but rather, due to each event (Makoto being sent to El-Hazard, and Ifurita in turn waiting thousands of years to meet Makoto) being a catalyst for the other, and in turn itself, time in this context is cyclical?

I don’t know, i saw it as being neverending, thus “closed” as EH uses a predestination approach to time and history. I also kind of thoughtMakoto had apparently mastered time and/or dimensional travel by the ending of OVA1, but I could be way off; I need to keep watching to get a fuller picture.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I also kind of thoughtMakoto had apparently mastered time and/or dimensional travel by the ending of OVA1, but I could be way off; I need to keep watching to get a fuller picture.

No, you’re right; the scenes in the ep. 7 ending credits are final final.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

Not really sure what happened here but apparently only the initial run of the Blu-ray box of OVA 1 went out and currently any other re-release has been postponed indefinitely, which is a shame considering that the blu-ray box had the dub.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Who%20made%20these%20Tenchi%20pics/807bee6d-b398-4add-b0cf-216ea48a4b5d_zpsdcc3569b.jpg" />

Nobuyuki wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I also kind of thoughtMakoto had apparently mastered time and/or dimensional travel by the ending of OVA1, but I could be way off; I need to keep watching to get a fuller picture.

No, you’re right; the scenes in the ep. 7 ending credits are final final.

But events that lead into that from the final episode of ‘The Alternative World’ are never actually fully explained. The casual loop’s main crux as to how Makoto actually got back to his own time is never actually explained is it??? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

The casual loop’s main crux as to how Makoto actually got back to his own time is never actually explained is it??? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

I just chalk it up to Makoto finally figuring it out a way to return to her after a few years of research and discovery, as he said he would do.

Nobuyuki wrote:

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

The casual loop’s main crux as to how Makoto actually got back to his own time is never actually explained is it??? I HAVE TO KNOW!!!

I just chalk it up to Makoto finally figuring it out a way to return to her after a few years of research and discovery, as he said he would do.

That’s almost as bad a cop-out as the ending to OAV 3…

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Hey, there was a wedding at the end of OVA 3. :P
      Nil Admirari
      none
      I’ll take “random promo materials left over from a bygone era of Anime” for $600, Alex.

http://i.minus.com/iMYafehpHt57D.jpg" />

Anonymous

Nil Admirari wrote:

I’ll take “random promo materials left over from a bygone era of Anime” for $600, Alex.

http://i.minus.com/iMYafehpHt57D.jpg" />

I actually still have those playing cards brand new fyeah1

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Same.

Looks like Right Stuf finally sold out. 😳

Nil Admirari
      none
      That might be my fault. kiyonesmile1

Nil Admirari wrote:

That might be my fault. kiyonesmile1

Don’t tell me you did what I did and ordered about 25 $1 blind bargain box items in a single order.

Wouldn’t buying one $25 blind box have been more efficient?

Any way so that’s where all the El Hazard playing cards went.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Wouldn’t buying one $25 blind box have been more efficient?

Not when the item turned out to be ‘Gasaraki’ on DVD, which wasn’t much of an awesome savings.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Any way so that’s where all the El Hazard playing cards went.

There’s more for $0.99 on the site.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

There’s more for $0.99 on the site.

I was looking in the wrong category, then. blush1

Must be in the bargain bin.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Must be in the bargain bin.

Regular listing, dude.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

* Condition – Bargain Bin

;)

That’s what I thought it be with the .99 price.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

It’s alive!

July 30th. coolguyshades1

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

It’s alive!

Does this mean I can haz EH Blu ray??? soawesome1

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      As well as EH2, OST and drama CD’s. ;)
      soawesome1
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Nobuyuki wrote:

It’s alive!

Delayed again ’til Sept. 26th wth2

jgzinv
      Here’s something we found, but didn’t show off much.

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/f63batchimg.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/2/2/7/8/elmanonline-imgbatch_1403472922/500×375-2014040100323.jpg" />

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/f63batchimg.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/2/2/7/8/elmanonline-imgbatch_1403472922/500×375-2014040100324.jpg" />

Quote:

Description of item

! “Tenchi Muyo” and “El Hazard” “brewery” original drama CD â–  Release Date: 1996/10

â–  Part Number: PAC-N04

It is not for sale drama CD of the fourth phase fan club membership benefits of Pioneer LDC anime “PAC”.

1: “El Hazard world of confusion”

■ Screenplay: Hideyuki Kurata ■ cast Suwon Makotoiwa (OVA version · TV Version): Tetsuya Iwanaga,

Ifurita (OVA version · TV Version): Amano Yuri Jinnai Nanami (OVA version · TV Version): Natsuki Rio Katsuhiko Jinnai (OVA version · TV Version): Ryutaro Okiayu Fatora: HiiragiMifuyu Arere (TV Version): Kozakura Etsuko Fujisawa Sensei : Ishii Koji Meath, Mishutaru: Shimazu Saeko

2: “Years may flow and Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki …!”

■ Screenplay: Yumi Takada 魎呼: Orikasa Ai Mihoshi: Mizutani Yuko eagle feathers: Yuko Kobayashi heavy haze Abe Masami Kikuchi: Tsukimura RyoMamoru ■ cast Masaki heaven and earth

â–  It is a condition new unopened goods. The little thread in the packaging film

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

JGZinv wrote:

Here’s something we found, but didn’t show off much.

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/f63batchimg.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/2/2/7/8/elmanonline-imgbatch_1403472922/500×375-2014040100323.jpg" />

http://auctions.c.yimg.jp/f63batchimg.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/2/2/7/8/elmanonline-imgbatch_1403472922/500×375-2014040100324.jpg" />

Quote:

Description of item

! “Tenchi Muyo” and “El Hazard” “brewery” original drama CD â–  Release Date: 1996/10

â–  Part Number: PAC-N04

It is not for sale drama CD of the fourth phase fan club membership benefits of Pioneer LDC anime “PAC”.

1: “El Hazard world of confusion”

■ Screenplay: Hideyuki Kurata ■ cast Suwon Makotoiwa (OVA version · TV Version): Tetsuya Iwanaga,

Ifurita (OVA version · TV Version): Amano Yuri Jinnai Nanami (OVA version · TV Version): Natsuki Rio Katsuhiko Jinnai (OVA version · TV Version): Ryutaro Okiayu Fatora: HiiragiMifuyu Arere (TV Version): Kozakura Etsuko Fujisawa Sensei : Ishii Koji Meath, Mishutaru: Shimazu Saeko

2: “Years may flow and Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki …!”

■ Screenplay: Yumi Takada 魎呼: Orikasa Ai Mihoshi: Mizutani Yuko eagle feathers: Yuko Kobayashi heavy haze Abe Masami Kikuchi: Tsukimura RyoMamoru ■ cast Masaki heaven and earth

â–  It is a condition new unopened goods. The little thread in the packaging film

soawesome1 Nooo! The beautiful pics! Anyway, an actual EH/Tenchi crossover! That is so cool (and could work given EH’s premise of otherworldly travels).

SnowQueen
      Found this awesome El-Hazard picture I’ve never seen before! Tenchismile
      SnowQueen
      Here’s a fun idea! Which Tenchi member would be who in the El-Hazard universe? mmhmm1
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SnowQueen wrote:

Here’s a fun idea! Which Tenchi member would be who in the El-Hazard universe? mmhmm1

Intriguing!

I think the “snooty princesses” cancel each other out 😉

“Lord god-Emperor” Jinnai has no equal! But the closest Tenchi-verse comparison I can think of personality-wise, on the surface (I’ll get you main character! cuz I’m so jelly!”), I’d say Seiryo? (May Katsuhiko forgive my insolence.)

Shayla Shayla…firey personality, has a crush on main character…come on, it’s gotta be Ryoko.

Nanami’s tough to peg: she’s got the “plain, girl-next-door” appeal of Sakuya, the fun-loving attitude of Sasami, the bashful “what makes you say we’re dating?!” demeanor of Ayeka, and like Kiyone she has a level of professional pride which causes her to lament whenever she’s gotta “do what she’s gotta’ do” to earn a buck (but she doesn’t just give up).

I’ll save the rest and/or additional interpretations for others. *passes mic

Nil Admirari
      none
      There’s plenty which can have dual parallels easily drawn between them. Makoto and Tenchi, Shayla and Ryoko (same with Ifurita and Ryoko, to a degree) are the most obvious. Nanami being a hybrid of Ayeka’s quick-temperedness and Kiyone’s career-driven aspirations (hadn’t thought about Sasami in there – though she’s lacking in representation so we’ll give it to her) is an interesting combo. One can also easily draw the similarities between Afura and Kiyone, including their penchant for headbands.

Miz is pretty much pureblood Ayeka. From her obsession with having an authoritative tone, her vanity in regards to her looks and age, right down to her ability to jump from damsel in distress straight to kicking the person’s ass who dare threatens her man.

Ifurita’s OVA form is very easily a zombified Ryoko in terms of connections, but her The Wanderers persona is almost exactly that of Mihoshi’s. She causes destruction in her wake. On accident mostly, even if her orders from Jinnai are to do exactly that. She can barely remember what she did moments ago and has to keep a notebook with the lessons that Jinnai taught her on her person at all times. Only, it seems she writes down the wrong parts of the lesson in class.

Rune Venus is pretty equal to Tsunami in the OVA, being a very caring and worried motherly figure who overwatches the entire drama unfold. No goddess magic though.

Londs & Dr. Schtalubaugh can be seen as counterparts to Azaka and Kamidake. Knowledgeable guardians of the royal palace, with about as stiff a sense of humor as a plank of wood.

The ones that are less obvious are pretty entertaining to try and match up. Fujisawa doesn’t have a direct connection to any one character in the Tenchiverse. When I look at him, I see a bit of Washu’s goofiness (in the nerdy way she does), Ryoko’s ‘hit first, ask later’ attitude when in a dangerous situation, as well as some of Ayeka’s skill for diplomacy whenever he’s acting as an official representative for his students… assuming he hasn’t had a drink. Alielle, well, I don’t have a clue. She’s physically the closest to Sasami but in personality she’s pretty much the furthest from.

I agree that Makoto and Shayla Shayla are the two most obvious.The others are a bit harder.I would say though that in a way Nanami is more like Sanada Mitsuki than any of the girls in Tenchi.Though it might be because I’m a bit prejudiced in that area.

At least she reminds me more of Sanada Mitsuki.I think it’s the way that both girls express(or fail to express

their feelings).Aeka is more open in how she expresses how she feels.

Now speaking of Shayla Shayla and Ryoko,I wonder who would win in a fight between those two.That would be

one soawesome1 fight to watch!

SnowQueen
      I got beat to the punch again. blush1 But no matter!

I agree with everyone’s opinions so far and I agree very strongly on Nil’s insight so much so that I’m only going to touch up on a couple of characters.

I have to say though that Jinnai kind of gives me a Kagato but also a Z vibe a little bit. Mostly because he’s so power hungry and downright insane when it comes to someone (Makoto) getting in their way that they do anything to do what they have to get what they want.

Queen Diva certainly gives me a Tokimi feel. Seem’s very powerful and mighty with a somewhat calm attitude and also has other’s do her dirty work.

I think Princess Fatora in the OVA anyway has all of Ayeka’s…not so great traits mixed into one person I can’t really say about the other series because I haven’t seen Wander’s and I saw Alternative World so long ago my memory is hazy on almost everything about it.

Anyway that’s a few on my thought’s.

I’ve only seen El Hazard:The Alternative World so all my choices were made based on that.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      While I’m taking pictures anyway…

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20141102_144735_346_zpscce8db1a.jpg" />

…here’s the recent special Blu-ray release of OVA1! I hope you’re not all too jelly. ^^

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20141102_144801_990_zps29720447.jpg" />

Reverse of inner cover. Daaaww!

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20141102_144818_742_zpsede946df.jpg" />

The six episodes are spread out generously on two Blu-ray discs (because we all know a single BD could hold all of EH and then some) and four CD’s are included as well. To date I’ve not yet explored these CD’s, as apart from my immobile desktop computer I don’t possess a CD player that I’d trust to not scratch these babies (I’ll PS3 it one of these days).

In summary, I can’t remember at the moment exactly how much I dropped for this set–namely because I’d rather not remember!–but for me it was money well spent. El-Hazard is a gem, and it’s only appropriate that a rare Blu-ray release of an otherwise OOP work serve as the means by which I treat it as such.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      All of my jealousy. ALL of it. sakuyafinger1

Lol, but seriously, it’s so awesome that someone on here has this set! It looks simply stunning (that reverse liner art!!!!!). I’m seriously considering getting this set myself, but I have a powerful need to eat for the next month… Anyway, thanks for the pics, Who!

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Good jorb!
      I concur.Do you ever reverse the covers on your DVD/BD collection wwwwhhhooo?
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I concur.Do you ever reverse the covers on your DVD/BD collection wwwwhhhooo?

Never bothered to before, but since every inch of this particular cover is gorgeous I might have to start.

Yes,it would be a good reason to start doing so…says the man who doth it all the time.That inner cover is too gorgeous to hide.
      SnowQueen
      it’s so beautiful. soawesome1 i need to get a blu-ray player now.
      I’d say the same thing except I would also need to get a HDTV player as well.
      SnowQueen
      Wasn’t quite sure to put this picture’s since they are crossovers. ^^; So if I need to move them I will but I figured this would be the best place to do so since it features a couple ladies from El-Hazard.
      SnowQueen
      ~
      😆

mmmm1

That one makes me wanna Think Spring!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Check this fanart out!

Thanks for showing me, Dagon!

SnowQueen
      ^ Lovely! Never really see just Makoto without all the girl’s (at least one or two) around him so I really love this and it’s good to see (I’m guessing this is new) new fanart of El-Hazard!
      Yes,it was well drawn and colored.Also seeing Makoto without any of the girls you get to see how really nice a guy he looks,when he’s not being pestered. iloveit1
      Nil Admirari
      none
      Thanks to JG for spotting this guy:

http://i.minus.com/i4AsgWq5lP6yw.jpg" />

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Surely this is the most epic EH cosplay of all time! WANT1 WANT1
      iloveit1

Yep.

Note the VW Bug by the Bugrom…does that mean Bugrom’s drive VWs or have an affinity for

classic ’60s German import cars?

AJ LightH
      I can now fully rejoice with you my brothers and sisters! I have finished EH: Magnificent World Ova 1! soawesome1 Tenchismile Tenchismile

It was gorgeous. A true gem of the nineties.

Jinnai easily became my favorite following Makoto, Fujisawa, and Shayla. The story was more epic than tenchi’s but given that it was a fantasy/adventure series while Tenchi was slice of life/sci-fi, that’s a given. But that last episode was just soooo….god the feels.

Ifurita’s leaving and the shared memories of her and Makoto: dawohki1 dawohki1 .

But then the ending. Good on ya Makoto. Good on ya. soawesome1 badass1

One downside was Fatora: sakuyafinger1

But overall I’m glad to add this show to my finished list. But there was another problem.

IT LEFT ME WANTING MORE!! rageblow1 So other El hazards here I come.

PS: Oh and to that one person who got the blu ray: ALL OF MY JELLY! sakuyafinger1

jgzinv
      Now you can go watch wanderers
      AJ LightH

JGZinv wrote:

Now you can go watch wanderers

Already gotten started. badass1

But I’m trying to divide the time between EH and OVA 3. Tenchismile

jgzinv
      Um yeah… no contest there..
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

AJ LightH wrote:

PS: Oh and to that one person who got the blu ray: ALL OF MY JELLY! sakuyafinger1

Thank you, I do enjoy jelly. badass1

But that’s awesome you’ve experienced EH, it’s a delightful viewing experience (even with Fatora thrown in there lol).

I hope it was strawberry jelly at least. iloveit1

The Alternative World isn’t bad either if you give it a chance.

AJ LightH
      Question: is EH: Magnificent 2 good to view?
      Is that the same as The Alternative World? Because if it is then I would say yeah,go ahead and

watch it,it’s not as bad as some people may want to make it out to be.

Almael
      No. The Alternative World is a sequel to it.

El Hazard 2 – The Magnificent World OVA is the continuation of the El Hazard – The Magnificent World OVA. Here Makoto is still stuck in El Hazard

El Hazard 2 – The Magnificent World is imho better than the first OVA because the story is new.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Is that the same as The Alternative World?

No. There’s a 4-episode OVA that follows directly after the original EH he’s referring to.

Well that’s good to clear up.Though I still say people ought to give The Alternative World

a bit more loving.

Almael
      Well, it’s only the Bugroms are too different from the original. tenchiahhhhhh
      Somewhere there’s a really bad pun that wants out about bugroms. Kiyofacepalm1 sakuyafinger1
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      So the lads and I were in Mumble tonight doing some web archaeology and came across a treasure trove of lost gems from the Magnificent World. The best of the finds, in my opinion, were these GORGEOUS covers from two of the novels.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Linked%20Images/T2eC16ZygE9s7HJ-g5BSGf8yYw60_57_zpsktzovdim.jpg" />

I wish I could get these blown up into poster sized images, because man oh man I would hang these beauties on my wall in a heartbeat!

They are indeed lovely especially the one with Nanami on the cover.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      They’re real, and they’re spectacular. Whoo can attest.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Not sure if this pic is from the alternative novels (even though site I found it says it is)

http://azarashido.sakura.ne.jp/20130912/P2440178.jpg" />

and found a pic of the rest of them (I think)

http://azarashido.sakura.ne.jp/20130815/P2380666.jpg" />

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/744111.jpg" />

http://ci-cdn.23bits.com/213/457/ci-140929235132-960.jpg" />

Found these, although not really sure if these are real

Nobuyuki wrote:

They’re real, and they’re spectacular. Whoo can attest.

Oh yeah! That thar blu-ray set I can personally attest to, and the manga with Ifurita on the cover is legit, indicated by the Viz Comics logo on the front. The author, Hidetomo Tsubura, was allowed to take El-Hazard in yet another direction different than all the animated incarnations. (EH truly is TM!‘s sister series after all!) It has also been translated into English, and I hope to soon experience Tsubura’s take myself (it sounds pretty cool).

The other novels have never been officially translated into English, and…I forget atm where they fit in exactly, if chuck jumps in he could help here (or anyone else, jump in, water’s fine).

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      So, I’ve had a few question my latest avvie (apologies if anyone is reading this at a time when I’ve switched it out).

I got it from here, which is also one of the first places where I really warmed up to the idea of checking out the El-Hazard manga written and illustrated by Hidetomo Tsubura.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20150316_200102_418_zps74fi0e7h.jpg" />

So I did just that! It’s yet another alternate take on EH, and it was quite enjoyable; the previous link gives a good description of the biggest difference: the inclusion of two more demon-gods just like Ifurita. They were formidable antagonists, but I do feel they take away from Ifurita considerably. After all, how unique would Ryoko be for example if there were two more of her flying around? (Though it would lend to some epic battles, as seen with Minagi in Okuda’s work.)

The colored version in the link may be official or fan-made, I’m not sure: I lean towards the latter, as for one thing the same image appears in the manga but, like the rest of it, is not colored. It could have been reprinted elsewhere, I suppose; either way I loved the colored-in version so much I had to ‘try it on.’ ^^

I may elaborate on the manga more later, but perhaps not too much to avoid spoiling everything! But speaking of Ryoko, there’s one thing I can’t help but share:

Towards the end of Volume 2, after the main narrative as part of a special preview/sales pitch (next time, on El-Hazard!), where it’s listing all the cool reasons to check out El-Hazard

…we get this.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20150316_195311_486_zpspd5udf3r.jpg" />

Close-up just in case anyone can’t see it:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20150316_195346_157_zpsf0xlnmoe.jpg" />

I guess that makes not three but four trouble-making demons of destruction in the El-Hazard manga.

I’m pretty new to his work, but I gotta’ say, from what I’ve seen I love Tsubura’s style. Hats off. 8-)

P.S. There’s no Fatora! Hallelujah!

SnowQueen

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Towards the end of Volume 2, after the main narrative as part of a special preview/sales pitch (next time, on El-Hazard!), where it’s listing all the cool reasons to check out El-Hazard…

Lol thank you Who! I tired to explain this on mini-chat and I couldn’t find proof anywhere. Now there is proof. gendo1

Anyway I love the manga! I own the second one (got it at a thrift store) and I went back to get the others another day and they were gone sadly but at least I got one of them! kiyonesmile1

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Note: this link here http://www.ebay.com/itm/EL-HAZARD-THE-MAGNIFICENT-WORLD-VOLUME-2-ISSUES-1-6-SET-VIZ-COMICS-SERIES-/301563391219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636942cf3 if anyone is purchasing looks like it has the right number of installments, so you’d be getting all of Volume 2 but “No. 1-6” might be a simple typo, as Volume 2 has only 5 parts (as it’s pictured).

For reference: Hidetomo Tsubura’s manga has three volumes. There’s the three omnibus versions I got (3 total books) and then like links Z-man’s posted, there are individual parts.

Volume 1: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Volume 2: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Volume 3: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Makes for a total of sixteen individual installments.

Nil Admirari
      none

This album is Private.

Explore Photobucket’s billions of photos & videos.

jgzinv
      should be fixed i hope
      Volume and Page number with the Ryoko cameo please.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Volume and Page number with the Ryoko cameo please.

Did ya not catch where I said that in the post there, ML? 😉 No worries.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Towards the end of Volume 2, after the main narrative as part of a special preview/sales pitch (next time, on El-Hazard!), where it’s listing all the cool reasons to check out El-Hazard…

But for further detail, like I said it’s after the actual story content; it’s after the pages are officially numbered, so I guess it’s around oh, 162-163 if you’re reading the omnibus version of Volume 2 that I’ve got. If you’re looking at one of the separately published parts I couldn’t tell you the exact page number, but it’d definitely be towards the very end of installment Number 5.

While I’m posting, I’ll also share one of my favorite little touches Tsubura had in his version that I wouldn’t have minded seeing in the original OVA: it has to do with LGJ.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/IMG_20150318_163031_589_zpsy14ewxmd.jpg" />

Lord God Jinnai deserves a kingly cape, does he not?!

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/a813267d-dbda-4494-a9d6-b1c7e905a1f3_zpsqw2ywyw6.jpg" />

It’s perfect! A little extra touch that’s right at home with Jinnai’s personality. He’s got a queen, an army, and power…of course he’d give himself a cape to boot.

I tend to just scan the longer posts as I don’t have the patience that it takes to read everything,so I probably missed it.

I think Nanami got all the brains in that family.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think Nanami got all the brains in that family.

And common sense, the ability to make a business from scratch anywhere, and wit to survive in any situation that she is in.

She also has the ability to see through the illusions that that one tribe keep trying to use to trap our heroes with. Though she doesn’t realize it.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      And also able talk with bugrom in Wanderers
      Then again since her brother becomes King of the Bugrom…she does have practice…
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I’m positive that her shorts say SCOTT, but is that a reference or brand, what?

http://roshtaria.tripod.com/graphics/nanamiw.jpg" />

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Yes.
      iloveit1

She looks so nice and sweet like that.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Until she gets into a fight with Shayla
      Or wants to sell you lunch.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I think we need some Shayla to change things up

http://blog-imgs-64.fc2.com/m/a/s/masterbiero/El_Hazard_TV_N4_Shayla.jpg" />

I love a red headed hot headed priestess early in the afternoon! soawesome1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Idk what it is about them–the rarity of it, the fact that it’s Shayla Shayla kind of ‘settling in’ for the evening, clocked out of a hard day’s work of bein a priestess, and/or seeing her more amiable, gentle (dare I say, vulnerable?) side–but ‘oi loikes me some a’ dat twin tails Shayla Shayla a looot. Mmmmhmmmm. 😳 😆

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/whocares/shaylatwintails_zpsdwxvg3xv.jpg" />

Looks good on you, babe! 8-)

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

and/or seeing her more amiable, gentle (dare I say, vulnerable?) side

we also see the shy side about her in original el hazard while drinking

https://krazzykamaali.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/shayla-shayla.jpg" />

soawesome1 iloveit1

Aaaahhh! so kawaii.

The fist OAV of El Hazard was very fun, engaging, and likeable.

I recently re-watched in after a bunch of years in HD/Blu Ray. I noticed that many of the scenes and remarkably well detailed and artfully drawn, and quite a bit of the animation has a great fluidity of the hand-drawn kind that you only got from that period of 1990s animation.

I remember reading a review about how the members of AIC were dedicated to hand-drawn animation when they got their start, but over time realized that the amount of working involved in something like El Hazard was way too much to do on a regular basis. Its a sad fact really with the way things have become so digitized in anime today….

As for whether El Hazard is better than Tenchi? No, lol…. Tenchi OAV 1-2 & the Movies just outweigh the Hazard OVA 1 by way too much in my mind.

So where do you weigh in on the Nanami vs. Shayla Shayla controversy?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I’m on the Shayla side cause she can fight with FIRE.
      Shayla for me…she is hot.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

So where do you weigh in on the Nanami vs. Shayla Shayla controversy?

I didn’t know there was a contest for 2nd place. aquateencarl1

😆 😆 😆

Well if Twilight fans can have their stupid Teams we can have Team Nanami vs. Team

Shayla Shayla!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well if Twilight fans can have their stupid Teams we can have Team Nanami vs. TeamShayla Shayla!

Unlike Twilight, this is fight worth watching: Salesperson vs Fire Priestess

Agreed. I’m on team Nanami because I think she can outthink Shayla Shayla.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Agreed. I’m on team Nanami because I think she can outthink Shayla Shayla.

Shayla Shayla: FIRE

http://chugar1999.com/elhaz/shayla_angel.gif" />

But Nanami is clever and also can cook!
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Shayla: FIRE, plus in the original El Hazard she fought Ifurita
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

in the original El Hazard she fought Ifurita

She lost there, too. colors2

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

She lost there, too.

But she did fight her, twice. What did Nanami do to help?

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

She lost there, too.

But she did fight her, twice. What did Nanami do to help?

She saw the Blue People!!! The evil, invisible blue people!

… uh oh, here come the orderlies with my specially fitted jacket….

jgzinv
      She sold sandwiches… kept up troop morale. Tried to once take over the bugrom empire.
      See unlike Tenchi Nanami isn’t uesless!…see what I did there?
      uhn…who is that?
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

ChaudSept wrote:

I laughed way too much at this.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/24/1434235929-stable-income.png" />

Right?

Government employee?…income!…STABILITY!

U gotta, I said u GOTSTA luv Miz.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I said u GOTSTA luv Miz.

Nice and friendly then she gets angry and wrecks the area and laugh sometimes while she does it

I hate it when people get in my face like that. In any case at least she smiles and laughs when she

wrecks your place. 😆 😆 😆

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Saw this while lurking for Black Heaven pics the other day, and it reminded me not only do I need to re-watch it just because it’s been a while, but also to verify this actually took place!

I remember this scene (this pic is fleeting), so spoiler alert: I’m pretty sure it did!

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/blackheavengirls_zpsghtxtwsy.jpg" />

Anybody look familiar?

And guess who was one of the major creative forces behind Black Heaven? Another spoiler alert: Hiroki Hayashi.

badass1

Incidentally (since some may notice a lil’ something else) the Trigun nods throughout the series are also quite fun.

jgzinv
      Wow I didn’t catch that at all…. course I only went through BH once I think, but still…
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      okay is Shayla suppose to be the one in the back because if not, then she is not there.
      No,didn’t see her.And when are we going to get a Shayla Shayla vs. Ryoko pic.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

*Bump*

And now I think we need a side by side image of a certain teal haired Galaxy Police Detective and

a certain headband wearing Priestess. I just noticed how much I was reminded of Kiyone while watching a certain Priestess.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

And now I think we need a side by side image of a certain teal haired Galaxy Police Detective anda certain headband wearing Priestess. I just noticed how much I was reminded of Kiyone while watching a certain Priestess.

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/chars/char_1246.jpg" /> http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/characters/7/89388.jpg" />

By the way, Shayla and Afura both have headbands.

Thanks Ukinojo…yeah but I was commenting on the fact that Afura looks a tad bit like Kiyone. At least in my mind when I was re-watching that episode of El Hazard:The Alternative World.
      I’m starting up Nanoha again on Sunday. I just mention it because of the fact that Fate’s

insanse mother’s plan involves going to the world of Al Hazard. I think I might have asked this before

but it bares repeating: does anyone here think it’s just probable that the Al Hazard mentioned in

Nanoha might by chance be the same as El Hazard? if so I just hope Fate’s mom

bumps into Jinnai as the two of them deserve each other! 😆 😆

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      http://i.stack.imgur.com/85OU7.gif" />

http://ci-cdn.23bits.com/213/457/ci-140929235132-960.jpg" />

just posters and a picture of Japanese blu ray box cover of El Hazard, that I thought looked cool

If they ever made a live action movie the cover of the BD is what they should use for posters as it is

soawesome1 !

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MLAJcmw5OaY/TI7xSjceuZI/AAAAAAAAAOs/8lyUa0uYBXk/s1600/ElHaz-OAV2.png" />

El Hazard 2 poster since I didn’t know if it was here already, so I put it up

iloveit1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/duckie405/4631490/977031/977031_original.jpg" />

a poster that I have never seen before in this thread, and thought it should be here

iloveit1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      sorry for bump

El Hazard Afura pic

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfcJubPUsAAnBUS.jpg" />

That’s ok it was worth it.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Almael
      Well, artbooks usually don’t have foldouts.
      It looks more like it might have come out of a magazine.At least that’s the way I look at it.

And Almael is correct: art books rarely if ever have foldouts. Just go the Barnes & Nobles and take a look at any of the anime art books they have there.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      the sega el hazard game cover laid out

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn10/elhazard-book.jpg" />

jgzinv
      Need to clip your claw there bud. Giving me Jurassic park flashbacks. I’m going to have to go hide in my kitchen.

Nice set tho.

Viewing 150 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.