Oblivion vs. Skyrim?

Forums Off Topic Video Games Oblivion vs. Skyrim?

• This topic is empty.
    So, I’m about to finish Zelda: Skyward Sword and am going to need a new game to keep me busy over winter break. I’ve heard that, since I’m a Zelda fan, I’ll probably like Elder Scrolls. I really like playing games in order (I loved seeing all of the connections in the Zelda games, even though they were all pretty self contained), but I’ve heard such great things about Skyrim that I’m thinking of skipping right to that one. I don’t have a regular Xbox and have never been a PC gamer, so anything earlier than Oblivion is out anyway.

What do you guys think? Oblivion then Skyrim, or skip Oblivion all together?

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Replies
      Jabberwocky

Quote:

you’ll get many, many hours out of it

Yea, that’s one of the things swaying me toward Skyrim. I’ve heard both Oblivion and Skyrim have a ton of hours, and I’d really only be playing Oblivion to get to Skyrim, so I’m not sure I want to spend 100+ hours on it.

Then again, a used copy of Oblivion is considerably cheaper than Skyrim, and with the holidays around the corner my budget is a bit tighter with buying gifts and all.

I do this with every decision I have to make lol. I seriously don’t know how I get dressed in the morning.

My poor Xbox has been so neglected lately. First I got busy with school, so I didn’t really play it. Then my Xbox Live subscription expired, so I didn’t play it (not that you need that to play, its a crap excuse lol), then I bought Zelda, so that’s all I’ve been playing. I really need to get back on and figure out where I left off in Assassin’s Creed. Guess I could finish that before moving on to TES….

Nahh

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Skyrim imo. I played a little bit of Oblivion prior to it, but I never owned a copy, so I didn’t get the full experience. Skyrim makes some casual references as LW pointed out, such as the Oblivion Crisis, but it’s pretty easy to figure out what they’re talking about. I was able to jump right into Skyrim, & in short time I was engulfed in the fiction of Elder Scrolls & the world in which it exists. Also as LW mentioned, there’s so much going on in Skyrim storywise to keep you engaged–that really doesn’t rely on playing Oblivion.

I hear ya on playing things in order (same with movies for me) but in this case with how massive these games are, by the time you got ‘done’ playing Oblivion if you started from scratch, they’ll be halfway done with whatever comes after Skyrim. That was my primary motivation to just start with Skyrim. All my friends playin it, I wanted to be able to talk with them about experiences, you know be current. I knew with it being an rpg–especially Elder Scrolls–I wouldn’t be able to do Oblivion justice if I tried to rush through it to get to Skyrim.

Plus Skyrim has amazing graphics, Oblivon’s were fantastic in its day, but keep in mind that was 2006(?) ish, kinda’ harder to play that after experiencing Elder Scrolls V.

That’s my two cents

Jabberwocky
      Hopefully you’ll be seeing a lot more of me on Xbox. Depends on how much of my thesis I’m working on over break

Looks like Skyrim is in the lead. I’ll probably go with that and just play Oblivion at some point in the distant future. We’ll see.

Thanks for your input guys!

kulsoria
      skyrim would be good cause you would probably be restarting alot in oblivion cause of the class system which was my biggest urk in oblivion was picking a class in the first 10 minutes of the game which could punish you if you decided thats not what you wanted to do. skyrim’s characters look 50 times better than in oblivion, i don’t care if graphics were in 2006, they were ugly faces, plus no beards.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

kulsoria wrote:

plus no beards.

Thaaaank you, was wondering if that bothered anyone else! My Oblivion Breton wizard needed a beard, dammit!

:umad?:

Jabberwocky
      Update:

I bought Oblivion.

Not because I decided to ignore everyone’s advice (I was actually completely swayed to Skyrim), but because I happened to swing by a used game/dvd place and they had the game of the year edition for $13. I knew I wasn’t ready to dish out $60 for Skyrim, so I figured I’d go ahead and buy Oblivion just to play around with until I have some extra mad money for Skyrim.

Plus, if for some odd reason I just don’t like TES, at least I’ve only wasted $13.

No idea when I’ll get around to playing it, but I’ll let you know what I think soon!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      13 bucks, can’t pass that up. I think you’ll enjoy it, but like LW said, make sure you have some time to devote to it before you get started! That goes double if/when you get Skyrim
      Jabberwocky
      Holy crap guys. Race, class, sign to be born under. I can’t make all these decisions!!!
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Jabberwocky wrote:

Holy crap guys. Race, class, sign to be born under. I can’t make all these decisions!!!

ikr??? decisions, decisions…

*somebody correct if I’m wrong:

High elves & Brentons are good with magic, if you want to go with being a mage. High elves are best with magic, but Brentons are more resistant to magic, so I like that race (only within the confines of a game in a fictional universe should one say which race they prefer lol…serial)

Orcs are good with melee weapons, heavy armor, fighting that sort of thing. Khajiit good with stealth & pickpocketing. Argonians…um, well they look cool & can breathe underwater…

Redguard have high stamina

Darkelves naturally resistant to fire

Woodelves good with archery

But it doesn’t matter which one you pick & what path you end up going down, some, like orcs are going to naturally be better with melee but you can be an orc mage if you want, doesn’t matter.

Anyone else wanna’ say what race/class they prefer/why? Oblivion, Skyrim, heck Morrowind?

I used to be an Oblivion player like you…
      kulsoria

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Anyone else wanna’ say what race/class they prefer/why? Oblivion, Skyrim, heck Morrowind?

khajiit, im a sucker for anthropomorphic races

^Then I took a job as an NPC?
      kulsoria
      the arrow, you just took
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      [BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEuoEJkODE[/BBvideo]

😎

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Speaking of Skyrim…

FYI for anyone who may be still playing Skyrim on the PS3 (this may be an issue on xbox also, idk), you may have noticed that playing the game post 1.05 update, no matter what race or class or level your character is, if you jump into the water–any water–the game will, without fail, utterly freeze up, forcing you to hard restart your console.

blowitallupplz

Sucks right? If you find this unacceptable (like, say, your character is Argonian) 😆 here’s how to fix it!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eekznBSExJQ[/BBvideo]

This nice gentleman’s video shows step-by-step exactly what you need to do to fix this debilitating glitch. Follow it EXACTLY and you should be fine (I only post this after I’ve tried it myself, so I can personally vouch for your game data’s safety, if executed properly). The key is to delete the GAME DATA UTILITY and NOT your SAVED DATA UTILITY! He explains the difference in the video so you can follow step-by-step (for added security, if you really want, you can also use a flashdrive or similar device to back up your saved game data–like, say, the one with +150 hours on it–juuuuuust to be sure).

FUS-RO-DAH!

Kiyoka
      Skyrim. On the PC. WIN isawitplz
      Llwchwr
      Skyrim is an awesome game, large, expansive, funny glitches and loads of content. Oblivion also had many of these things but one thing skyrim has is orcs that actually look like orcs. in oblivion the orcs just looked like ugly people and when i revisited oblivion before skyrim came out my orc went on a rampage. 4 cities besiged, no survivors in any except for invincible people all castles looted. The dawnguard dlc for skyrim is good i enjoy the content but it is nowhere near as good as shivering isles was in oblivion. Fun thing in dawnguard is being able to find a guy to change your appearance so now my redguard has aged with his adventures.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      For me(this isn’t a choice of the two games) I am a VERY avid fan of Morrowind in the Elder Scrolls franchise, and it shall remain my favorite above all the others. However, if it comes to a decision between Oblivion and Skyrim, it is very hard to pick out which of the two is superior.

On one hand we have Oblivion. I beat it in about a week(save the expansions) and did almost every mission. It had a level-scaling from hell; causing things to be your level no matter what you do. In other words, you can beat everything at level 1 and effectively get all the rare artifacts that aren’t Daedric. The catch though, is that the gear itself is your level too. So if you level up after you’ve aquired said rare gear, it will be the lowest quality, protection, and enchantments.

The game did have a great graphics system though, and its expansion The Shivering Isles really made up for some of the original game problems.

Skyrim has a way of pulling you in with immersive combat, a bigger world, and a LOT more in terms of quest and radiant story. Also things aren’t level scaled which means if you walk into the wrong area at the wrong time, prepare for death. The graphics are a lot more textured but that turns out to be a curse as well as a blessing. The graphics were made so well for characters that they literally turned out super ugly. Dark elves are my favorite race, and they really butchered how they looked. The Main quest is a lot more… of a drag out fetch quest sequence in my opinion but then again it makes up for it with the extensive crafting system.

It is honestly a hard choice between the two for me. However Skyrim automatically wins my vote mainly because it got back to its Morrowind roots and need of skill, as well as its soundtrack.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Good post! I like what you said about Skyrim “returning to its Morrowind roots” because although many elements such as graphics and gameplay have been altered with the changing times, one way it really struck me as fulfilling this condition was, as you mentioned, the music–the Morrowind theme in the Dragon-tongue, with a hearty, manly Nord choir shouting a grand chorus chilled my bones the first time I heard it.

You make a valid point about the more textured graphics, and your opinion is valid as well, but I certainly don’t think the Dunmer look ugly. They may have sharp features and perhaps coarse skin, but look at their homeland (and, well, the “curse” put upon them in ye olden days), but all reasons aside I find their appearance holding of a certain elegance; the women in particular look beautiful, with their softer complexion and smoother features (in my several incarnations as Dragonborn, two of my wives were Dunmer). They are also one of my favorite Elder Scrolls races.

you beat Oblivion–not just main quest–in 2 weeks? 😯

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Exactly! The music stuck out to me the first time I heard it. The main theme’s reprise as well as the background music to many situations. I pictured seeing the good old Ascadian Isles region with its massive mushroom trees and the Kwama mines dotting the landscape; finding the city of Vivec for the first time. It hit home for me with its difficulty and less than friendly atmosphere as well, brought me back to when you had to get your face grinded to a wall before you got great at the game.

I do see your point in the sharper features, as do I see the elegance. Dunmer are cursed which does explain the roughness; as well as Boethiah saying they are her people. I too, am an avid Dunmer fan. I do like your point about the females looking more beautiful, as one dark elf in the Thieve’s guild missions who is a Nightingale stuck out to me instantly as a beautiful character.

And yes, I no life-d it for about 2 weeks, and due to the level scaling i did all the normal missions, and then did the daedric missions in my next 4 days of leveling up to do so. This is without expansions of course, since when I got them finally I spent countless hours in the Shivering Isles in Oblivion

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      Fallout 3.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Oh boy, Fallout 3 is a whole different story. I played that game into the ground lol
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

shadowsfall0 wrote:

I spent countless hours in the Shivering Isles in Oblivion

Best. Expansion. Ever.

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

Fallout 3.

Are we doing this? I don’t care that it might be off topic, tell me we’re doing this! I’m not entirely sure, seeing as how I was in some sort of FO3 coma, but I’m pretty sure it constituted my life between 08-09. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever become engrossed with a game as much as I did that one.

I only brought up FO3 was because it changed the very game mechanics of the franchise it was a part of (being an isometric third person franchise before its third entry). Oblivion and Skyrim did some small things here and there with the gameplay and the graphics, versus FO3 which COMPLETELY changed the whole look/feel/play style the franchise had before.
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.