So Disney somehow get’s a hold of Tenchi…

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Worship / Collection / Theory threads So Disney somehow get’s a hold of Tenchi…

• This topic is empty.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Well their are a whole number of theories like

-Would they automatically get rights to ALL properties, superceding the ones owned by the current North American holders?

(My vote is they would be yes to everything currently out of print, the rest would be negotiated, or strait up bought.

-Would we see the end of completely niche titles? Disney loves to push Star power on all Ghibli films, I suspect the titles would either be redubbed, and or, the titles previously not dubbed would be redubbed with at least one big name actor to carry it on the cover like “Tenchi Muyo STARRING LIAM NEESON (as Yosho)”

(This would also be good because the West Coast would actually get work again, lol)

So, lets hear it!

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Replies
      Considering rights to the Tenchi series are principally owned by Geneon Universal Entertainment, a subsidiarity of NBCUniversal and ultimately one of The Walt Disney Company’s biggest media competition, I doubt they’ll pick up Tenchi. But then again, Star Wars was distributed by News Corporation’s 20th Century Fox… Regardless, Lucasfilm has some degree of independence when making films, which is likely what allowed them to be acquired in the first place.

If anything, Rumiko Takahashi’s work is ripe for Disney’s picking. Maybe Osamu Tezuka’s as well, if the company wants to see the founder himself roll in his grave. Concerning studios, one word: Madhouse…

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clFq7xwxV-Q[/BBvideo]

No,they’d probably get Patrick Stewart to play Yosho,which would mean there would give an entire new meaning to “ENGAGE!” 😆

As in:”Tenchi you must choose your bride now:ENGAGE!”

Anonymous

SilverWhisper wrote:

Considering rights to the Tenchi series are principally owned by Geneon Universal Entertainment, a subsidiarity of NBCUniversal and ultimately one of The Walt Disney Company’s biggest media competition, I doubt they’ll pick up Tenchi. But then again, Star Wars was distributed by News Corporation’s 20th Century Fox… Regardless, Lucasfilm has some degree of independence when making films, which is likely what allowed them to be acquired in the first place.

Well of course this was merely tossing around fantasy and ideas, however, if you put the decimal point in the right place, heated competitors will become best friends, so never say never in that aspect, lol.

susano
      Disney is mostly focus on promoting Family orientated films and series. Disney does have an associtation with StudioGhibi. StudioGhibi is consider to be Japan’s version of Walt Dsiney. When it comes to any harem series like Tenchi Muyo, Disney will not dare to touch any of them . Oddly, Disney can show family anime series on the Disney Channel.

Disney is capable of bringing some family anime series from Japan to the United States. By associating itself with StudioGhibi, Disney is willing to promote anime.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Oh God, don’t get me started :-___-:

Although, Liam Neeson as Yosho…hmmmm

Lighthawk93
      Liam would be a rockin Yosho. He was a badass as Ras al Ghul. I hope disney doesn’t even come close to the tenchi series, they would probabley kill it. By that I mean make OVA 3 look like academy award winner
      Ballsmagee01

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Oh God, don’t get me started :-___-:

Although, Liam Neeson as Yosho…hmmmm

i agree neeson would make an amazing yosho.

Tearatone
      For a second I thought you were being serious! Big relief.
      Nerevar
      Participant
      My soul hurts just thinking about this…
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Tearatone wrote:

Yeah, probably should have put a big ol’ “IF” to convey hypothetical. Didn’t even think about how many people we’ve given heart attacks with their first glance at this thread.

It’s funny Kyle Hebet was just joking about this at Anime NebrasKon. One day we’re gonna’ wake up and Disney will be like “Yep. We just bought Japan. We now own anime” *mickey mouse chuckle

Lighthawk93
      Boycott? lol
      Well Disney did create Dreamworks in the ’80s for more PG-13 and R rated fare,so they might do the same

and create a whole new division for anime like Tenchi that didn’t quite fit the G or PG rating.

Personally though I wonder what would happen if they took over GAINAX.IF they took over GAINAX

THEN we’d be in trouble.Can you see Asuka with Mouse Ears? 😆

Seriously though,I doubt that Disney is interested in investing money in acquiring anime series or franchises,which would cost more and mean more of commitment than what they have by simply

bringing over selected Studio Ghibli movies.

So no,I don’t see any possibility of that scenario happening.AND IF IT EVER DOES I WILL CHANGE MY

USERNAME TO AYUKOFAN! 😆 😆 😆

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well Disney did create Dreamworks in the ’80s for more PG-13 and R rated fare,so they might do the same

No, that was Touchstone Pictures, among others.

Dreamworks was founded by Steven Spielberg, David Geffen and and former Disney President Jeff Katzenberg, although Touchstone currently distributes their films for them.

Tearatone wrote:

Nerevar wrote:

My soul hurts just thinking about this…

What’s with the hate? Anime wouldn’t be where it is today without Disney and its influence in the world of animation. Plus, it’s not like Tenchi could get any worse if they actually bought the rights to it. Disney could get worse and create another Miley Cyrus/Demi Lovato, but if they were to buy further assets in classical animation, it might signal a return to their roots.

Seriously, imagine in Kingdom Hearts… Sephiroth versus fucking Kagato! How about Sephiroth killing Noike? Also, with Disney’s said association with Square Enix, who happens to develop and publish RPGs, maybe we actually would have another Tenchi game in sight.

Oh yes! leleleplz

Lighthawk93
      Kingdom Hearts rocks!
      GregTheLion
      I’m suddenly in the mood to draw Tenchi and the girls in Disney style
      Lighthawk93
      pics please

GregTheLion wrote:

I’m suddenly in the mood to draw Tenchi and the girls in Disney style

😆 or should it be rather :WUTH:

Dreamworks,Touchstone,Pixar they’re all a blur to me. 😆

Seriously it’s hard to keep count of all the companies that are Disney subsidaries versus the ones that

aren’t versus all the ones that WISH they WERE Disney that are out there.And now that they acquired

Lucasfilms it’s even messier of a knot.Let’s just say that the Mouse owns every bit of American entertaintment out there and get over it?! 😆

Though seriously I do not want to see Aeka and Sasami showing up on a list of Disney Princesses. 👿

Though if it did,would that mean we would be seeing their live action counterparts sometime later on

in the town of Storybrooke on ONCE UPON A TIME?

Yeah,Sasami would probably be the town baker. 😆

^I imagine Sasami to be the kind of loud outsider girl who accompanies the protagonist, and later realizes she is royalty. LOL, go watch Wreck-It Ralph.
      Ryoko and Mickey don’t mix. 😆

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ryoko and Mickey don’t mix. 😆

Says who? Don’t they both have giant ears?

Lighthawk93
      mickey’s ears are still bigger
      Ballsmagee01
      that and ryoko has powers bth_images45
      Mickey’s a mouse,so yeah his ears are naturally bigger than Ryoko’s.

Off topic slightly a bit:Does anyone else ever read Mallard Fillmore?aka the Conservative Answer To

Doonsebury and much funnier?

Any way today he did one where Mallard(who happens to be a duck btw)announces that Disney has acquired the rights to “make all future episodes of Battlestar Galactica and Dr.Who…”

then the punch line is:”I’m only kidding…I just wanted to see what a GEEKNAMI felt like…” 😆

Seriously though I wonder if Tenchi was as well known as BSG and DW if Mallard Fillmore might have

mentioned it along with the other two.Come to think of it,considering the Mouse still denies ever

stealing ideas from Kimba to make The Lion King,I wonder if one day they’d make something simlliar to

Tenchi without ‘fessing up it WAS Tenchi.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Mallard Fillmore?aka the Conservative Answer To

Doonsebury and much funnier?

What, is there another one? The one I’m familiar with is neither. :P

Lighthawk93
      There is that possibility, I’ve seenit happen before. They say it’s “origininal” because they made it, but the premise or plot could be exactley the same as the original
      Any way,I really rather doubt that Disney would be interested in Tenchi.
      Lighthawk93
      They couldn’t do anything with it anyways, they would have to completley change everything for it to be a kids show
      :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Maybe Sasami’s Magical Girls Club would be more likely choice for the Mouse.

Lighthawk93
      I have yet to watch it
      Neither have I.From what I have seen of the cover art though it doesn’t appeal to me at all,and I’m a big

Magic Girl fan.

Lighthawk93
      Would sailor moon fall into that topic?

Oh god, if disney got their hands on that as well…..

Kiyami
      Participant
      none

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Would sailor moon fall into that topic?

Oh god, if disney got their hands on that as well…..

This is a Tenchi Muyo thread =P Not Sailor Moon. Please stay on topic with the discussion.

On the other hand Disney did air Naruto Shippuden on what is now Disney XD and it didn’t seem to do it too much harm,so maybe if they had Tenchi they’d leave it alone the way they did Shippuden.
      Lighthawk93
      They did that?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Lighthawk93 wrote:

They did that?

Yep… not anymore lately, though.

Mittens wrote:

This is a Tenchi Muyo thread … Please stay on topic with the discussion.

BOT- this isn’t something that would happen anyway, so there’s not much to discuss. 😉

Even if Disney,by some strange occurence,did acquire Tenchi,I don’t think it would be any worse than

what happened when it aired on Toonami.

AJ LightH
      😯 Hoo…I just got chills just considering what may happen if D GETS ITs hands on Tenchi. Liam Neeson as Yosho would be cool but who on god’s green earth could replace Kermit as the voice of Tenchi? Or the wondrous voice of the OVA 1-2 Ryoko?

We must pray it never happens my brothers and sisters. And if it does we can only hope they don’t get rid of the hot springs episodes.

Lighthawk93
      I pray they just over look the tenchi series
Viewing 38 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.