This is (Not) a Fan Thread

Forums Off Topic Other Anime This is (Not) a Fan Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Neon Genesis Evangelion. One can’t go for very long in anime fandom without coming across a reference to it, and one certainly can’t watch very many modern anime that don’t bear its influence. Eva is without a doubt one of the most controversial, most discussed, and most hyped franchises of the last twenty years, and now it has its very own thread on Tenchiforum! There are as many different opinions and theories regarding this series as there are people who have seen it, and this is the place for you to share yours. The title of this thread, while awesomely pun-tastic, is not an exaggeration in this regard, as all opinions related to Eva are welcome here, so long as they are well developed and politely delivered. So whether you think its all overrated neo-freudian hogwash, or the most intricate and meaningful anime ever made, this is the place to come and talk, share, and learn about this unquestionably important anime.

Some ground rules: For the benefit of those who haven’t seen or read all Eva material PLEASE use spoiler warnings whenever significant plot points are being discussed. Please make sure all posts are relevant to either the current discussion or the general purpose of this thread. Finally, no running away, no going berserk, and no starting third impact! 😆

Viewing 453 reply threads
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I’ll go first.

Its hard to believe that I only watched Eva for the first time a little over half a year ago, as it has become such a dominant feature in my existence as an anime fan. When it comes to anime, my preference has always been for shows/movies that are thought provoking, unique, and of great historical importance, and boy oh boy does Eva fit the bill to a tee! I love the seemingly endless layers of complexity in the characters and mythology of the series, but what really makes the franchise stand out in my mind are the subtle (and not so subtle 😆 ) ways in which it turns the attention back on the audience. It’s so easy to lose yourself in peeling back and analyzing the many layers of the show, only to discover afterwards that somewhere along the line it became yourself you were analyzing! That is the beauty of Eva, and its why I have come to regard it so highly.

As for the characters, I felt that each and every one was amazingly constructed and subsequently deconstructed throughout the series, but my favorite will always be Asuka. She’s bold, brash, and self-confidant to the point of annoyance (as many will no doubt make a point of, lol)….. or is she? Asuka’s appeal for me really comes from the secret struggle that she fights to keep inside of her. She desperately wants to be loved by others, so she holds herself to an impossibly high standard, with ultimately damaging consequences psychologically. I see a lot of myself in her, and perhaps that’s why I enjoy her character so much, although I like to think that I’m a bit more developed in my approach to other people lol.

Anyway, that’s enough for me right now, but you can be sure I’m not done yet! Let’s hear from you now. What are your thoughts on Eva?

Anonymous

chucklocker wrote:

Anyway, that’s enough for me right now, but you can be sure I’m not done yet! Let’s hear from you now. What are your thoughts on Eva?

I first heard about Eva through Webrings WAY back in the day, among the many other classics that were all the rage. It wasn’t until early November in 2011 that I finally sat down and watched it, and much like chuck, it has become one of the staples in my existence as a fan of anime.

There is just a surreal feeling you get (or at least I get) when I watch a series and I know it’s going to be amazing. From the moment Eva started it was great, the direction is about as perfect as it gets next to a Miyazaki film. The most important thing that Eva did, and it’s lasting legacy, is the characters that told the story.

I have always been a firm proponent that the plot, the story, and even the setting really don’t have to be original, the most important thing is the characters telling that story, because obviously, they have more time on screen than anything else, they are what gets you emotionally involved, and this is what Eva absolutely knocks out of the park.

There was (and still much to this day) nothing like it. Many people say it’s “Overrated” or don’t understand the appeal, and we take it for granted because its been out for almost 20 years, but that is the important thing right there, Neon Genesis Evangelion came out in 1995 up through 1997 with the release of “End of Evangelion”. What else in 1995 can even hold a candle to it? For that matter, what else came out in the years post End of Eva that can really stand with it? Cowboy Bebop may have been voted by some “The greatest anime ever made” but I truly believe that honor is Evangelion’s, it’s no longer just an animated production, it’s getting up to the point where it’s almost a national treasure.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      The following copypasta has been brought to you from the age of dinosaurs (with applicable updates)

I like Eva.

It was the first series I bought on DVD. Back in the days I was a true n00b and paid full retail price for all 8 discs. I bought the Paul Champagne metal artbox to put them in. I bought both movies. I collected and watched all the “Platinum” editions. I was happy when the Rebuild movies were originally announced and happier still as they’ve been released. Then there’s the spin-off manga and my VOX tin.

And I haven’t regretted any of it. Well… maybe Campus Apocalypse. 😉

That said, I still get more enjoyment out of watching Tylor, Dual!, GTO and Nadesico for the umpteenth time each. Mainly because they’re not as heavy-handed about expressing their main themes as Eva is, so they’re a lot more fun to just drop in the player, sit back and rewatch.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      In watching Eva and the movie, and even up to 1.0 I must say it has become a definite influential show and milestone in anime that I have reached.

For one, The End of EVA has left me close to having psychosis .-.

Secondly, I tend to watch animes for their rich mythos and character development and the constant ties within the show and this show pretty much hit a high note on every single note that can be hit.

It is definitely in one of my all time favorite series after having watched it, if not in my top three. I have yet to watch 2.0 and 3.0 but…soon/eventually I shall.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      I think one of the more controversial issues with EVA has been the entire pseudo-religious symbolism of the

series.This is really a red herring has it makes people who concentrate on it miss what it is about.To me it’s

about coming of age and doing what the right thing is even when you want to run away and hide.

This is what Shinji continually struggles with.

That said,I really enjoy the series and the rebuild movies so far;OTOH,I probably will never watch

EOE because the cover art on the DVD was way too surreal for me.Death And Rebirth,I don’t know,from what I have read it’s rather meh.But then I haven’t seen it just recall what I have read.

Favorite character:I like Misato because when you learn her backstory you can understand why she’s

so f***ked up.Then again you have to admire someone who keeps a penguin around the house!

Though I have to say the character I’m most like is either Rei or Ritsuko’s mom Naoko. 😆

So did anyone here get to watch 2.22 when it aired on Toonami.If so what were your thoughts?

icon_misato icon_pointing asuka icon_rei1

Crazed
      none
      I thought it was very good. Left us on a cliffhanger though. I guess we’ll have to wait and see the third movie on Toonami now, whenever that happens…
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      What struck me on this n-th re-watching was- while 1.11 was like an alternate-angle replay, 2.22 (which had some awesome set-pieces) was more like a highlight reel than a narrative.

Still had a good time.

And Kick-Heart after made me laugh, so mission accomplished. 😉

icon_gendo

Well,I won’t be getting to it until some time around Jan. or Feb.Have to watch Giant Robo first before I get back to EVA.

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Well, I’ll say as much as this concerning Eva:

One of the biggest reasons why I like it is because I get it. All of it. The episodes, the movies… even Instrumentality itself made sense from the first time I saw it.

Nobody so far has really believed me, but hey… you don’t have to.

bth_Kain2-1

I’m in the minority when it comes to the ending,as I always thought it was a good way for the show to end.

Never believed the hype about EOE being based on the “real” script that was trashed.I think that Anno

made that up in order to make EOE a bigger deal than it might have been.

So far enjoying the Rebuild movies and can’t wait for the third and fourth movies to get avaible on DVD here. 😎

Plus: icon_penpen is the king of all mascots!!!!

Crazed
      none
      Figured i’d throw this out there, maybe stir the pot a little for fellow EVA fans and see what you all think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVm65tlhqw8” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVm65tlhqw8

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      I’ve heard the words of Ano about Eva before, and really… I can only come to two conclusions based off of what he’s said:

1: The story accurately mirrored the nature of individuals and unintentionally drew attention (quite astutely) to certain problems that people commonly face.

2: Ano was subconsciously crafting the intricate lace of story and relations that became Evangelion during its production.

This is assuming, of course, that Eva does indeed do an exceptional job of showing human nature and brokenness. I vote so.

And… such is my $.02

o_o

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      ilavplz That’s so cool! Thank’s JG! I can totally see why this was a popular signature back in the day, lol. Also, looks like youve got a dead image link at the end of your post. Don’t know if you meant for a second image to be there or if it’s just a goof, just letting you know cause I’m a nice guy like that. Charmed, huh? icon_ASUKA 1

EDIT: yeah, I can see it now too. I guess it has something to do with my tablet’s browser, because once I looked at it on my computer I can see it. Oh well, so much for my ULTRA witty pun…

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Don’t know if you meant for a second image to be there or if it’s just a goof,

For the 2nd image, I see a colorized version of the first image.

I wonder how that scenario would’ve worked with icon_rei1 instead of icon_ASUKA 1 ?

And does icon_misato have beer flavored popsicles in the fridge? 😆

mitsuki lover wrote:

I wonder how that scenario would’ve worked with icon_rei1 instead of icon_ASUKA 1 ?

And does icon_misato have beer flavored popsicles in the fridge? 😆

More than likely.

My thoughts- it was a well-done series up through about episode twenty. Then it started going in a direction that only Terry Gilliam dare head down. That’s where it became… well… I don’t know how to put it but as this- odd. It was odd to the point where even bth_Washu (the greatest scientist in the whole freakin’ universe) would wonder what the hell was going on.

It was all part of icon_gendo plot!

mitsuki lover wrote:

It was all part of icon_gendo plot!

Personally… icon_gendo should’ve had some form of therapy to alleviate that God complex he had.

Definitely.

icon_pointing asuka otoh needed to resolve her maternal issues as did Ritsuko.

mitsuki lover wrote:

Definitely.

It just occurred to me… was there ANYONE in Eva that DIDN’T have an issue or two???

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

Definitely.

It just occurred to me… was there ANYONE in Eva that DIDN’T have an issue or two???

Um… you just now realized that? :|

For Washuu wrote:

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

Definitely.

Um… you just now realized that? :|

I thought there was at least ONE sane character in there…

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Hikari doesn’t really get to do much, though.
      Yeah and she’s the Class President.So does being Class President make you instantly the Sane One in the

EVA universe? 😆

Actually I would have voted for icon_penpen as being the sanest but that would be like saying fukuu: code

was the straight man for Tenchi or that icon_sailor cat was the real heroine of Sailor Moon! 😆

For Washuu
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Actually I would have voted for icon_penpen as being the sanest but that would be like saying fukuu: code was the straight man for Tenchi or that icon_sailor cat was the real heroine of Sailor Moon! 😆

That… sounds about right to me.

😆

Correct.Ritsuko would’ve seemed to be the sane one until she basically had her breakdown.Then again

it’s not surprising considering the grand gesture her mother made before offing herself.

I think Freud would’ve had a field day trying to pschoanalyzing all of the main characters on EVA.

He would have definitely made a fortune just trying to deal with the maternal issues that icon_asuka attack

and Ritsuko had as well as icon_shinji issues with icon_gendo .

SnowQueen
      For you EVA fans :)

EVA crosses over with Madoka Magicia!

Having not seen Madoka I have to admit I don’t get it,but that’s just me.Then again the only

Madoka I recognize is Ayukawa Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road! 😆

Crazed
      none
      Found these while searching for A Cruel Angel’s Thesis on Youtube.

For the Computer wiz.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTis1nN4ySw[/BBvideo]

And for the retro gamers.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5Wl4JDQjY[/BBvideo]

I also learned that there was an EVA game for the N64 that was released exclusively in Japan (go figure). Good news though is there is a (somewhat) translated ROM out there so we can play it.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJg7axmk_Co[/BBvideo]

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Pachelbel… FFFFFF
      Crazed
      none
      eh, they sound different enough. I see your point though. I was more amazed at the floppy drive version as I didn’t know you could use them for that sort of thing. As for the 8-bit version, who doesn’t love some good ol’ 8-bit sounds (and A Cruel Angel’s Thesis at that)?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Crazed wrote:

eh, they sound different enough.

Naw, the N64 intro is Pachelbel’s Canon, thus the joke. ;)

Quote:

As for the 8-bit version, who doesn’t love some good ol’ 8-bit sounds (and A Cruel Angel’s Thesis at that)?

No objections here.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Lol, after watching the videos you linked Crazed, I was sent down a 2 hour trip through the rabbit hole that is Evangelion videos on Youtube, and I have emerged with nothing to show for it but bleary eyes and Komm, Susser Tod stuck in my head. It was marvelous, thank you! :D

Anyway, how about we change things up a bit? I originally asked your favorite characters, if any, and now I will ask for your favorite episode/s if any. A reminder: If you plan on going into specific detail please use the spoiler button. For me, this one is tough because there are so many fascinating and compelling episodes, especially towards the end of the show. There really is only one that can take the crown though, and for me that is episode 24. By this point in the show poor Shinji was barely hanging onto his sanity and sense of purpose/self by a thread. His friends are gone, his fellow pilots are distant and unapproachable, and he is utterly alone. Into this came Kaworu, whose entire 12 minute presence fundamentally changed the tenor of the show. For the first time in the entire show Shinji finds someone who loves him unconditionally. Unfortunately, fate was not on his side. The revelation that Kaworu is the last angel cuts deeply at Shinji’s psyche, while at the same time re-invigorating his will to fight. Even that small blessing was not to last, however, as Kaworu’s final sacrifice and death at the unwilling hands of Shinji totally destroy Shinji’s morale and faith in himself and the Evas. This episode reached such exultant peaks and such bitter depths. This episode also serves as not only the climax of the entire TV show, but the pivotal platform from which the End of Evangelion movie launches into even deeper psychological terrain.

I have to say that Asuka Attacks had to be one of my personal favorites since it introduces Asuka and she’s a real badass in it.
      Crazed
      none
      One of my favorite moments in the show is in episodes 18 and 19. Misato isn’t around so Shinji had to place his trust in Gendo to lead the operation. When Gendo tells Shinji that EVA Unit 3 is now the 13th Angel and Toji is its pilot Shinji loses his will to fight and says he would rather die than fight. Then Gendo betrays his trust by using the Dummy System to force Shinji to fight and nearly kill Toji. After that Shinji loses all faith in his father and tries to destroy NERV HQ out of his anger towards Gendo. Then Gendo raised the pressure of the LCL inside the Entry Plug to forcibly remove Shinji from Unit 1 and then puts him in hand cuffs. These two episodes show us just how cold-hearted Gendo can be in order to achieve his goals, even to his own son.
      WisperG
      U.S./Canada theatrical release of 3.0 incoming in January. Cities and dates will be announced within the next few weeks.
      Am I the only wondering why they didn’t just send 3.0 straight to dvd?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      The past two were contractually obligated to have theatrical releases, no reason to think this one would be an exception.
      WisperG

The_evil_Genius wrote:

Am I the only wondering why they didn’t just send 3.0 straight to dvd?

Yes, you are. Evangelion is huge in the anime community. Even if they weren’t contractually obligated to give it a theatrical release as Nobuyuki said, they probably would’ve given it one anyways just for promotional purposes.

Plus, FUNi probably has to wait until a certain amount of time after the JP home video release to do theirs. Might as well do some screenings in the meantime.

I thought it had already released to dvd in japan
      WisperG

The_evil_Genius wrote:

I thought it had already released to dvd in japan

Yeah, that’s why there’s a wait period, though they’re more concerned about the Blu-rays than the DVDs. Because the US and Japan share the same Blu-ray region code the Japanese are afraid that, should the much cheaper US release come out shortly after their own, JP consumers would simply import the US release thereby cannibalizing JP sales numbers. Its like this with almost all anime nowadays.

I kinda might get the jap dvd if the wait is long next year for the dvd dub to get out
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      We’ll see. (not set in stone yet)
      Isn’t that odd they already have a link to get it when there’s not a release date yet.
      Note that is says it’s a pre-order and they don’t even have a pic of what the cover looks like yet,so maybe

Wal-mart is just trying to get ahead of the curb.

WisperG
      Rightstuf has it listed now. It’s official. 3.33 is coming in February.

Bluray

DVD

Sweet!
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

Rightstuf has it listed now. It’s official. 3.33 is coming in February.

Bluray

DVD

I know what I want for Valentine’s day! Now to find a girlfriend…

Lol, anyway, after a long conversation in mini-chat a few nights ago I was reminded of one of my favorite Evangelion products: Evangelion Re:Take.

Re:Take is a doujin (a self-published manga or graphic novel) from the early 00’s in Japan. It is completely unofficial, being essentially an illustrated fanfiction, but I thought it did an excellent job at capturing the feel and essence of what made Eva, well, Eva. It functions as a direct sequel to End of Evangelion, beginning moments after the final scene of that movie, but most of its plot actually occurs in the familiar events of the second half of the TV show as Shinji runs away (shocking, I know) from the consequences of Instrumentality and tries to undo the events which led to it. I personally think it’s a fantastic supplementary outing with the characters and stories of Eva, especially considering the authors had nothing to do with their creation! So yeah, if you are hungry for more after watching End of Eva, I highly suggest giving Re:Take a shot!

Being a doujin, there is practically zero chance Re:Take will ever see an official release outside of Japan, but fortunately for us non-Japanese Eva fans, the industrious people of the internet have produced translations. Being a doujin also means that the original release of Re:Take was filled with random porn scenes. Thankfully, however, it proved so popular with Eva fans that the creators released an “all ages” version which removed said smut, leaving only the delicious plot. Here are links to the all ages version for your reading pleasure :D

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/30771/evangelion-re-take-soushuuhen-zen-nenrei-han-doujinshi_v1_by_no-group” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.batoto.net/read/_/30771/evangelion-re-take-soushuuhen-zen-nenrei-han-doujinshi_v1_by_no-group

EDIT: This should be obvious by now, but it can’t hurt to say it again. THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS. As I said above, Re:Take is essentially a fanfiction, complete with all the liberties and divisiveness that come with that distinction. It won’t be for everybody.

WisperG
      To no ones surprise they go with solid blue for the cover. I didn’t have a problem with 2.22 being solid orange, so its fine I guess. I gotta say though, I really do like that black BD banner.

http://imageshack.com/a/img202/5098/f8at.png" />

http://imageshack.com/a/img194/7748/08ib.png" />

I shall order it some time in 2014.Currently I have to go through Giant Robo first before I get to EVA again.

But it should be worth the wait.Plan on watching the first two Rebuild movies and then what I have of the

Plantinum version of the tv series.

No surprise here but Manga about.com uses Asuka as one example of tsundere,the other being Haruhi.
      I wonder how many new fans both of anime and Neon Genesis Evangelion in particuliar the new movies

are bringing in.

So heres what I wonderif the movies are a re-telling of eva with a new ending does this mean we won’t see Rei blowing people up when she and Lilith become one?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      @The_Evil_Genius: Please use the spoiler feature when referring to highly important plot points, not everybody has seen all of Eva after all and we don’t want to spoil it for people.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, did your guys’ opinions of Eva remain consistent from the first episode, or did they change as you watched the show? I know (as odd as it may sound, lol) I actually really disliked the show for the first several episodes during my first watch through. Maybe I just needed some sweet Asuka screen time, or maybe I had to watch the whole show before I could enjoy the beginning, but whatever it was it took quite a while for me to get into it. What about you all? Did your love (or hate) of the first few eps continue throughout, or did you change your mind halfway through?

Well personally for me I hate Asuka because how she treated Shinji from the offset, I mean yeah Shinji is quirky but it seemed to me she was just as quirky and broken as he was
      Crazed
      none
      I never really hated the show at the beginning. I didn’t feel too strong about it at first but after the first few episodes I fell in love with it. The first thing I thought when I started watching was “yep, it’s another typical mecha anime” but man was I wrong.

The_evil_Genius wrote:

Well personally for me I hate Asuka because how she treated Shinji from the offset, I mean yeah Shinji is quirky but it seemed to me she was just as quirky and broken as he was

I agree with you in regards to her brokenness. After her moms contact experiment with Unit 02 split her soul apart and altered her personality to love a doll as her real daughter it definitely left young Asuka with some deep emotional scars that would alter her forever. I think she realizes how truly similar the two of them are which is the reason why she treats Shinji the way she does.

I actually enjoyed the early episodes since Misato’s my favorite character followed closely by Rei,Asuka and

Ritsuko and finally Hikari.

I think the introduction of Pen Pen was one of the funniest moments of the entire series.

Since I am one of those who hasn’t seen EOE I do have a question about it:WasRei’s merger with Lilithpart of Seele’s original plan?

Crazed
      none
      Close, but not quite. Their original plan was to have Kaworu merge with Lilith and to use the 13 EVA units to achieve instrumentality. Because Units 3 and 4 were destroyed and 5 and 6 we’re not yet completed they used the Mass Production EVA units in their place for the project.
      Well Heres something was weird

That gendo wanted rei to be with Shinji even though she was a clone of his mother

WisperG
      3.33’s first English dub trailer, courtesy of Manga UK.

[BBvideo 525,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI8pIQIo6Vw[/BBvideo]

Well that looks epic.Though my one question was who’s feet were those with all the writing on them?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      If you pause the video at 0:21 you should be able to make it out if you tilt your head to the side :D

Anyway, I’m very excited to hear how the cast sounds, especially as this is really the first time they’ve done all new dialog since EoE!

Question I have is why the uk is getting it later than the us
      WisperG
      ^ NICE! There’s a showing right downtown, but they’ll probably screen it super-late… I hope I can make it. I missed 1.0 and 2.0 because of the crap time they played them at >:I

This is in the link, but I’ll post it here anyways for convenience. It’s FUNi’s theatrical trailer for 3.33, which is mostly the same as Manga UK’s trailer, but with a few different scenes. Also, is it just me or did they do some work on the background music? It seems to have an echo-y effect to it. Sounds pretty cool :D

[BBvideo 525,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqvRRjZfJc0[/BBvideo]

You know is it just me or did it seem eva 3.0 try to mix the movie end of evangelion into the story by how the trailer is
      WisperG
      You’re spot on there. The films are alternate retellings of Eva after all. The first movie obviously covered eps 1-6 very faithfully, and while the second movie had a lot of differences it roughly covered events up to ep 19. The third film seems to be a bit of a mix between End of Eva and the Kaworu bits from ep 24.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Without going into spoilerific territory, all I can say is that 3.33 is such a radical departure from the tv show that I don’t think calling a “re-telling” of EoE would be entirely accurate. People who have seen EoE will no doubt recognize many things, but again not in the sense of a re-telling…
      I just wonder in evangelion 4.0 if the series would end as epic as EoE did
      Looks that way.

I’m thinking of getting the final two movies together as a single purchase once the fourth movie becomes

avaible for sale on DVD/Bluray.

WisperG
      ^ Be prepared to wait a LOOOOOOOONG time then lol.
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Looks that way.

I’m thinking of getting the final two movies together as a single purchase once the fourth movie becomes

avaible for sale on DVD/Bluray.

Yea EVA FINAL is set for a 2015 release in Japan, so we can expect at the very least a 2016 release in the US (though it would be quite the achievement if they could release the same year as the 20th anniversary)

SO

Yesterday was my birthday, and I received a figure I had long been wanting, and that is the Revoltech Yamaguchi Mass Production Eva.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131205_131137_zps5a50f399.jpg" />

So I decided to have some fun with him

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_091926_zpsddc82769.jpg" />

He really likes Asuka

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_093153_zpsfa101d3a.jpg" />

I don’t think Misato is enjoying it as much as he is

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_093338_zpscd2b5bb8.jpg" />

….definitely not

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_094159_zps8f299433.jpg" />

Asuka gets all the attention, so he tries to get some too

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_095239_zps23dc34d7.jpg" />

Even if he has to take it by force

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_102042_zps74afa841.jpg" />

“Do you have a moment to talk about Instrumentality?”

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_101217_zps44f60c97.jpg" />

It’s time to go Shinji

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20131206_100346_zps41141ec8.jpg" />

At the end of the day, even though it cost him his limbs, Mass Produced Eva is still happy

Well if it’s going to take that long I might re-think my plan and get the third movie some time next year.

And it looks like someone has a warped sense of humor….lol!

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I’m really digging the Mass Produced EVA! :D

The way Misato is positioned with it made me fall over laughing. lol

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      Funi’s version of FLCL came with a preview of 2.22.So I got a bit of a look at what to expect in another

few weeks once I re-start EVA.

Interesting bit of Seattle sports trivia:on page 13 of volume 2 of Angelic Days the name Kazuhiro Sasaki

appears as one of two students who have special duty for the day.He was of course the Mariners’ ace relief

pitcher during the late ’90s early 00’s.

I think this is one of the few times Seattle sports has gotten mentioned in either anime or manga.

And now the newest entry in the EVA manga family:The Shinji Ikari Detective Diaries!

I still think that Angelic Days is the best of the alternate re-tellings of EVA withThe Shinji Ikari Raising Project a close second.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      http://i.imgur.com/O9fRTij.gif" />

Happy holidays!

Anonymous
      Crazed I am so Jelly of those figures ooohhh , I’ve got the figure bug now that I’ve had my first taste and also that unit 1 jumping knife picture is pretty awesome.
      jgzinv
      so by way of kotaku I found out that Eva 3.0 is playing close by on the 11th for a single showing at midnight for $9.

has there been any indication 3.0 will be showing at ohayocon or should I go see it so I’ll have a leg up on dagon and chuck? :p

jgzinv
      As a young Gendo he tried to impress and be trendy.

http://i.imgur.com/GIWp538.jpg" />

after he was kidded for his new look…

http://i.imgur.com/B9Wieks.jpg" />

No wonder this is now his perferred look: gendo1 .
      Only the final two episodes of the Gin-rei Special and then I get back to what I have of EVA.

Thinking of doing the first two reboot movies and then on to the two volumes of the Platinum Edition that

I have.

Just went over to Rightstuf and they still have 3.33 listed as a pre-order.
      WisperG
      Monolith yourself with with a wierd, zip-up SEELE hoodie!

http://www.cospa.com/images/items/pc/45017.jpg" />

Also, my “review” (if you can even call it that) of Eva 3.0 has evolved into something much more long and detailed than I originally planned, but I’m still plugging away at it. Hopefully I’ll be up before too much longer.

Only one more week before the awesomeness that is Asuka and Rei begins! coolguyshades1 kiyonesmile1
      WisperG
      What happens next week? :?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I think ML is talking about when he is going to start watching some Eva stuff again. I was confused to at first, but he said something a few posts back. Man, I’ve REALLY got to get back to nurturing my precious threads here, lol. Anyway, one thing I know I’m looking forward to this week is your reaction/analysis post to 3.33 Wisper colors2
      Yep,I was talking about my Eva re-watch starting next Saturday.Not this Saturday since I still have the final episode of The Gin-rei Special to see.
      WisperG
      Prepare yourself! By the power of Greyskull! IT! IS! COMPLETE!

[align=center]WisperG’s Extremely Long Impressions on Evangelion 3.0![/align]

[tab=30]Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. Two long years after I was teased by 2.22’s post-credit preview I finally got to see it. Instead of attending a late showing at a local theater I decided to drive to the next town over, mostly as an excuse to check out a newly reopened art house theater. And I must say it was definitely worth the trip. This movie was quite the emotional rollercoaster for many, myself included, and so I’ve chosen to compose my thoughts on it below.

[tab=30]What started out as a few short paragraphs of impressions began to evolve into a full blown review before devolving back into something in-between. A few somewhat disjointed paragraphs lumped into three categories, which a little speculation thrown in for good measure. I realize the Dislikes section may seem a bit bloated but I assure you I did enjoy the movie immensely. Though there were several things I took issue with or thought were strange, most (but not all) of them were more personal preference than stuff I actually thought hurt the film (but there was a bit of that too).

I’ve got a lot to cover here, so let’s get started.

– Let’s start with the amazing animation and visuals. As expected from a theatrical film in one of the most popular anime franchises of all time it looks really dang good. Smooth animation, lots of details, and as expected from Anno, plenty of drool-worthy action scenes and grotesque, ominous imagery. Although the film was rather… grey, I thought it paralleled the darker tone of the movie well (and I can probably assume that was their intention). When color was present (like that of the Eva’s color schemes) it contrasted nicely with the rest of the non-so-colorful backgrounds. In short, Eva 3.0 was pure eye candy from start to finish.

– Animation aside, one of the best aspects of the film was by far the fantastic musical score. Often loud and epic but soft when it needed to be, and that ending theme is simply beautiful. The music really helped amplify the “theatrical experience.” I am going to import this soundtrack. I don’t care how much it costs.

– Even though the new direction the films have taken has rubbed some people the wrong way, taking the series in a new direction was kind of the whole point of the Rebuild movies and I applaud them for taking that to the extreme. It’s pretty cool seeing these characters that we’re so familiar with in new situations and taking on new challenges. Rebuild may not be as deep or thought provoking as the TV series, but if nothing else these movies are crazy entertaining.

– A personal favorite scene of mine (and of many others apparently) was Fuyutsuki’s chat with Shinji. Fuyu’s only significant scene in the movie as well as his only interaction with Shinji had a special sense of artistic beauty to its presentation. The game they were playing combined with the ominous background visuals and Shinji finally getting some of the answers he was so desperately seeking one of the best segments of the entire film.

Mixed Feelings

– I can definitely understand why the writers decided to keep Shinji in the dark on… everything. I think it was pretty brilliant that this movie really makes the audience feel like they’re in Shinji’s shoes and just as lost and confused as he is, but having said that it did feel very forced at times and there really wasn’t a good reason why. The common-sense of the Wunder’s crew was definitely sacrificed for the sake of the plot. Nearly all the events of this movie could have been averted by Shinji receiving a few kind words and a straightforward explanation of what’s going on and why they don’t need him to pilot anything by Misato. Apparently, everyone that knows Shinji completely forgot about his fragile personality and his need to be accepted and needed and decided to treat him the EXACT OPPOSITE. Makes total sense /sarcasm.

– Shinji just can’t get his happy ending can he? He almost got it in 2.0, but then he started to go all 3rd Impact on everyone. And then they try to make the viewers think that Rei2 is gone (though I get the feeling we may get some closure on that in 4.0). And then he gets manipulated into initiating 3rd Impact AGAIN. Holy heck, that kid has been through so much crap. He deserves to get a happy ending (Eva TV’s ending could be considered that, but given its theoretical ties to EoE, maybe not).

Dislikes

– Eva 3.0 had VERY FEW LIKEABLE CHARACTERS. Seriously, aside from Fuyutsuki, Sakura and kinda-sorta Kaworu everyone is kind of a bunghole now. Especially Misato, who was even “supportive” of Shinji’s god-mode rampage at the end of 2.0, seems to have little sympathy for him now. Although she does redeem herself a bit when she can’t bring herself to activate Shinji’s death-collar as he escapes with Unit-00, showing she does still care about Shinji.

– Aside from Shinji (and to a lesser extent, Kaworu), no one really got any significant amount of screen time. Which I guess makes sense as this was very clearly “Shinji’s movie”, but I was still a tad disappointed that nearly all the people that previously played major roles were demoted to barely-there side characters.

– There was practically ZERO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT for anybody not named Shinji. This ties in closely with the previous two points, as the lack of character development is mostly a side effect of the lack of screen time for the entire cast, which in turn made it hard to sympathize with everyone’s new “lets glare at Shinji and not tell him anything” attitudes. This was definitely a plot-driven movie rather than a character-driven one like the previous films (and Eva TV) were.

– The lack of character development wasn’t as big of a problem for returning characters, since the fans already know a lot about them and can fill in some of the gaps themselves with prior knowledge. But they introduced not one, but FOUR new characters in 3.0 that barely got a minute of screen time. I fear they’ll turn out like Mari has, i.e. they really have no good reason to exist plot-wise beyond selling figures and merchandise (at least not yet). But with only one film to go I’m not exactly optimistic that any of Rebuild’s 5 new people will get the development they need.

– Going to Kaworu specifically, we learned NOTHING about him and none of the questions raised by his cryptic appearances in the first two films were answered (like how he already seemed to know Shinji, or why he was asleep in a coffin on the moon). We were teased through two movies by his cameos and what did we learn in the end? Absolutely nothing.

– Rei’s character development and personality took a major step back as well. I realize this is in line with what happened in the TV series but after her significant personality development of the previous film, Rei2’s (possible?) loss felt more like a punch to the gut. Oh, and FYI from here on out, to make things simpler I’ll refer to the Rei from 1.0 and 2.0 as Rei2 (after her Eva TV counterpart), the Rei from EoE and the last few episodes of Eva TV as Rei3, and the Rei from 3.0 as ReiQ (To be fair, I stole that nickname from Evageeks. I was going to call her Rei3, but all those discarded Rei clones on display in Fuyu’s Shogi room seems to imply that she’s not the 3rd, despite having basically the same role as EoE/Eva TV’s Rei3)

– Another issue I had with 3.0, and this is totally subjective, was that in a weird way it didn’t really feel like “Evangelion” to me (EoE notwithstanding), or perhaps I feel this way because of the huge tonal shift from the previous movies. Eva always had this great balance between the Eva vs. Angel fighting and the light-hearted slice of life and school bits. 2.0 upped the amount of slice of life/light-hearted content by a good margin with scenes that wouldn’t feel out of place in The Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga (namely, the aquarium trip and Rei and Asuka wanting to cook for Shinji). And then they just… threw it out the window. The only scene in 3.0 that really compares is Shinji’s piano lessons and his bromance time with Kaworu. Everything else is quite bleak. I desperately hope 4.0 can recapture some of that like 2.0 did so well.

Minor Nitpicks and Questions

– No Unit-01. It’s there, but for something that’s so significant to the plot we don’t even get to see it besides a brief glimpse of its eye.

– Where’s Kaji? One of the new guys knows him and he was fine at the end of the last movie. I suppose he may have met the same fate as his TV counterpart during the 14 year gap, but I REALLY hope he makes an appearance in the final film. He was always one of my favorite characters.

– Why is Asuka mad at Shinji? The fact that it was kind of his fault she was in a coma for a while didn’t really come up. She was pissed at him and wouldn’t say exactly why. Or maybe I’m already forgetting important details…

– Rebuild almost feels like a glorified fanfic (not unlike how Tenchi OVA3 kinda felt to me). With all the inconsistencies, personality changes, crazy plot twists, new (yet underutilized) characters, and (sometimes) mindless action Eva 3.0 really felt to me like a big budget animated fan fiction. I’m… not really sure if that’s a bad thing or not, which is why I stuck it in this section.

Speculation

These next few paragraphs kind of reach across every category a bit, so for the sake of not splitting them up I’ll just give them their own section as they do deal with a lot of speculation on my part.

– I really liked the scene where Rei3 (complete with school girl uniform) appeared to ReiQ while she was floating in her orange tank. It’s a great reference to one of the first scenes of both 1.0 and Eva TV, as well as one of the last scenes of EoE, where Rei mysteriously appears to Shinji for a split second before disappearing. There are several theories about this, but one of them has always stuck out to me (the last 2 paragraphs at that link). Basically, after merging with Lilith and attaining god-like powers, Rei3 could exist everywhere at once, which we see in EoE as millions of Rei’s simultaneously collect the souls of everyone on Earth. Yes, she technically “dies” at the end, but do concepts like time and death really mean anything to a god? Based on this, which we see AFTER Shinji stops Instrumentality and Lilith falls to pieces, I’m going to say no. That seems to imply that Rei/Lilith went back in time, so to speak (or rather, she now exists throughout all of time, or something like that) to observe Shinji and the events of Eva TV as they happened.

– Rei2’s appearance in 3.0, despite disappearing inside Unit-01, opens up a whole lot of potential for speculation. Is it a hint of whats to come? Will one of the Rei’s end up taking on a role similar to her role in EoE? Or perhaps that’s already happened, and it’s hinting at the mysterious events surrounding 3rd Impact that the viewer doesn’t get to see because of the time skip? It’s hard to say, but that opens up another big can of worms regarding Lilith’s resemblance to Rei, despite not having absorbed her like in EoE. She couldn’t have absorbed Rei2, who was already merged into Unit-01. More likely than Rei2 somehow finding a way out of Unit-01, Nerv may have just made another clone, i.e. Rei3, who then goes on to serve her same role as in EoE, fusing with Lilith and bringing about the 3rd Impact. But with Gendo still holding on to that suitcase in 3.0 that seems to have the Adam embryo in it (rather than fusing it with his hand, and then with Rei3 who proceeds to fuse with Lilith), its not possible for things to have happened the exact same way as they did in EoE.

– Argh, my brain hurts after writing that last paragraph, but that flows right into my final paragraph. As someone who LOVED The End of Evangelion, I was rather disappointed that they completely skipped over Rebuild’s equivalent of it. I wanted to see that! Instead all we got was a tease of the crazy shiz that went down during 3rd Impact when Kaworu showed Shinji a glimpse of the Eldrich Abomination the Earth looks like it started to turn into (seriously, I spy TEETH, and part of an EYE 😯 ). It’s especially disheartening that we may never know exactly what transpired during 3rd Impact. Honestly, with all the stuff that was glossed over in the time skip (and I didn’t even touch on a few details in here, like how Gendo is buddies with Seele again despite Kaji suggesting they’d be pissed that he deviated from their plan in 2.0), Khara easily has enough material to make a fifth movie, or a spinoff manga, or a light novel or SOMETHING. ANYTHING. Pretty please, Anno?

[tab=30]In conclusion, Eva 3.0 is an extremely entertaining, albeit flawed, chapter in the Evangelion saga. I hesitate to call it a “great” movie, but it was good and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Perhaps my opinions on it will change a bit upon subsequent viewings, but for now it gets a solid 7/10 from me.

WisperG
      So we’ve got some mixed new here regarding 3.33’s home video release. The UK release (which was previously scheduled for March, about a month after the US release) has been re-solicited for August. FUNi hasn’t given their release a new date yet, but based on the UK date it could be as late as July before we finally see the US release.

Thanks to WTK at The Fandom Post for noticing this.

Quote:

So it’s looking like we may not get an official release date for a while? With Manga UK giving the new release date of August 25, I wouldn’t be surprised if FUNimation eventually change theirs to as late as July.

• US: was 02/18/2014 -> now ???

• AU: was 03/19/2014 -> now ???
    • UK: was 03/31/2014 -> now 08/25/2014
    Is it just me or was that Daft Punk at the bottom?

Ok so this Saturday I start off my Neon Genesis Evangelion viewing finally with 1.01. gendo1

chucklocker
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok so this Saturday I start off my Neon Genesis Evangelion viewing finally with 1.01.

You Will (Not) be Disappointed.

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok so this Saturday I start off my Neon Genesis Evangelion viewing finally with 1.01. gendo1

Is there a reason you’re going with 1.01 rather than the superior 1.11 version?

Nil Admirari
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

It is indeed. I always knew those robots were up to no good!

Human After All. Hmph.

shadowsfall0
    Participant
    none
    Daft Punk is behind it all! I daresay that instrumentality will be the grooviest apocalyptic cataclysm to have ever come into existence.
    Well I did my re-watch of 1.01 on Saturday night. gendo1

Great movie.And this coming Saturday I finally get to 2.22 at long last.Looking forward to Asuka’s appearance

finally.

Anonymous
    http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/20140204_083350_zpsbcc01b53.jpg" />

A little late, but I finally got it in it’s frame gendo1

WisperG
    Wow, sweet picture Dagon! WANT1
    Nil Admirari
    none
    I need this for my Leopold keyboard… soawesome1

http://i.imgur.com/qRO6aXa.jpg" />

EDIT: For $5? A little pricey for a keycap but god damn man, this is too good. Needs an “Instrumentality” backspace key.

Crazed
    none
    Nil, if you put that there, would that make it the “you can (not) escape key”?
    Nil Admirari
    none

Crazed wrote:

Nil, if you put that there, would that make it the “you can (not) escape key”?

hahaha yes, I love it.

I think I have to do it now.

Or it could be the You May (Not) Escape Key. soawesome1
    After my re-viewing of 1.01 I’ve been really wondering if we need a live action movie.What I mean is can a live action movie do EVA any real justice?
    WisperG
    ^ Honestly, I don’t think it could. Unless the whole plot was rewritten and changed to make it start completely different we’d probably just end up with a live-action version of You Are (Not) Alone. Which I guess would make for an interesting watch, but it would otherwise be rather pointless to adapt those same opening events into yet another movie. But at this point its not like that long-rumored live-action Eva movie is actually likely to happen…

Anyways, this video is both heartwarming, funny, and very disturbing at the same time. That means you should watch it. Also, does anyone happen to know where this song comes from? I gotta know!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo5_PFiUMg0[/BBvideo]

Nobuyuki
    Participant

Quote:

does anyone happen to know where this song comes from? I gotta know!

Pete’s Dragon, according to the comments. 😉

WisperG

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

does anyone happen to know where this song comes from? I gotta know!

Pete’s Dragon, according to the comments. 😉

Ah, thank you. One of the more obscure Disney films that I’m not too familiar with. I may have seen it as a kid, but I barely remember it.

And now, the Eva Funny Picture Show! Featuring funny Eva pictures!

http://i.imgur.com/71rY7.jpg" />

[BBvideo 325,250]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI[/BBvideo]

More pictures incoming later…

So finally got around to seeing 2.22 on Saturday.

To begin with I have a question for anyone who saw it on Toonami:Did they saw the epilog following the end

credits and the preview for 3.33?

And now for my thoughts:

1.The comedy in 2.22 was certainly wrenched up.I was pretty much 😆 throughout it.

2.Sakamoto Maaya’s English was spot on.

3.The first time I saw the moon shuttle I had flashbacks to Space:1999.

4.That’s the second time someone has walked in on poor Pen Pen when he’s trying to take a bath!And Shinji is the one who gets it! iloveit1

5.Yes,in the Japanese that is Sailor Moon herself,Mitsuishi Kotono as Misato. kiyonesmile1

6.Certain parts felt like the animators were tripping on LSD.You can guess which ones.

7.Overall I liked it and would rate it about a A/A- . coolguyshades1

I didn’t imply or mean that the animators were on drugs or anything when they did certain sequences,what I meant

was that the feel of those segments when you watch them had a certain hallucinatory effect to them.That’s just how it felt to me.

Any ways now if 3.33 would just get here on DVD….

Re-watched episode 11 on Saturday.Love the expression on Ritsuko’s face when the elevator opens and they find

Misato and Kaji on the floor in a tangle. iloveit1

Nil Admirari
    none
    And almost a month later, the You Can (Not) Escape key finally arrives. Thanks to Crazed for the beautiful name.

http://i.minus.com/iXRXnuhjgk5nP.jpg" />

Hopefully this will help Dagon out with the next part of gendo1

Anonymous

Nil Admirari wrote:

And almost a month later, the You Can (Not) Escape key finally arrives. Thanks to Crazed for the beautiful name.

http://i.minus.com/iXRXnuhjgk5nP.jpg" />

Hopefully this will help Dagon out with the next part of gendo1

All according to plan gendo1

That is awesome! Just need a mechanical keyboard now and you bet I’ll be looking into getting one these

The latest Rightstuf print catalog came in and they have 3.33 listed as coming out this Summer,so we shall see.
    I was just wondering if anyone loved how in 2.0

shinji went beast mode himself at the end when he fought he lost rei

I have to admit I was more focused on what was happening to Asuka at the time.
    Got volume 1 of The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary at B & N today.Could’ve also gotten vol.13 of

The Shinji Ikari Raising Project as well,but need vol. 4-12.

Did anyone notice shinji was less of a wimp in rebuild?
    Well not really,then again I’m waiting to get the third installment.The thing that I really enjoyed about

2.22 was Sakamoto Maaya’s English.One would’ve never suspected she wasn’t a native speaker.

Done with watching what I have for now. I guess you can put me in the minority in that I always thought the tv

ending was pretty good and in fact the best possible ending because of it being optimistic. kiyonesmile1

I like how everyone congraduates Shinji at the end including gendo1 .

That said I still have to go and re-read both Angelic Days and The Shinji Ikari Raising Project in order to

get to The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary. Yeah,I know I don’t have to but that’s the way I read the manga,always start with AD and work to TSIRP.

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    So I was watching a random movie yesterday, and then this happened…

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/V5FmFaK7pMU[/BBvideo]

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Yeah, Robin Williams is apparently a big fan.
    Mork as Gendo? gendo1

Seriously….then again weirder things have happened such as Mel Gibson playing Hamlet.

shadowsfall0
    Participant
    none
    Normally, I’m a Chuck Taylor shoe kind of guy, but damn. :0
    What size are they?
    Kiyofacepalm1

oh God…please no!

WisperG
    You guys… stop pooping on the party.

WANT1

My brain CANNOT CONTAIN THE AWESOME!!!

Assuming its a toy line, I just might have to do some importing.

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    I wasnt trying to poop on any party. I just have no idea what to make of this.
    First off, Transformers Crossover with Evangelion?…Well, only if the story is good. If the story sucks, then I can’t help you.

Anywho, I first saw Evangelion when it first aired on Toonami and had its adult swim run. I only saw the series up to a certain point, but managed to see End of Eva afterwords. My only complaint about the Ending was that all of humanity revered back to ooze and the Sanji and Asuka were the only ones left in the end. It was too depressing for my taste. Beside, I never saw Asuka and Sanji becoming a couple, IMO. Even after reading the Gundam Wing crossovers by Turles (Story 06: Evangundam), it just hold me “no way.”

Anyways, while I don’t believe Evangelion to be the greatest anime in the world IMO (as Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Robotech/Macross, and a few others hold higher regard for me), it is considered one of the greats that defines what anime is overall. Animes like Eva, as well as Tenchi Muyo!, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, DBZ, Robotech/Macross, Voltron, Zoids, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Sailor Moon, Eureka Seven, and even the Gundam franchise – all of them are great animes, as they are what defines the anime culture. But for me, the greatest anime wasn’t Eva, not for me anyways. For me, it was Cowboy Bebop, and not because it was labeled the greatest.

Sorry Eva Fans.

Nobuyuki
    Participant

On the one hand, could be awesome.

On the other hand, could be awful.

On the other other hand, could be both. ;)

Are you one of those Star Trek aliens that has four hands? 😆

I still vote total fail on this not because I hate Transformers but rather because it’s not to me the right series to be crossover with EVA.I could see Dual,RahXephon or Gundam Seed or

Wing or even OO or even Robotech,but Transformers? No!

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    *This time, let it be clearly known throughout the land that I am NOT making any comment regarding the quality or wisdom of this venture*

Well, here’s the first toy in the line…

http://io9.com/the-official-optimus-prime-eva-unit-revealed-1573406190” class=”bbcode_url”>http://io9.com/the-official-optimus-prime-eva-unit-revealed-1573406190

Not what I was expecting, but now I really want to see how theyre going to pull off its transformation into a semi…

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    So… Unit 02 would be Inferno?

I wonder how that would look.

At least the color schemes for the Evas look interesting.

I wonder if they mean to use it as a hook to get people who wouldn’t necessarily watch Eva to watch it.

Then again maybe they’re trying to atone for the last Transformer movie.

I still think this might end up as total: Kiyofacepalm1 picard1 gendo1

Nobuyuki
    Participant

Somewhat more along the line I was originally expecting…

Quote:

Takara Tomy has revealed more information on its Transformers x Evangelion crossover project. The image teased in previous ads turns out to be a “Mode Eva” edition of the Transformers MP-10 Convoy figure.

The figure transforms into “robot” mode and “vehicle” mode. In vehicle mode, Optimus features a NERV logo, while in robot mode, he’s taken on Unit-01’s signature colors. The figure will be released in November but preorders open on June 12 for 25,000 yen (~$250).

That be one expensive toy there.So just be sure to keep away from the kiddies.

But seriously,it does sound a bit better than an actual Transformers/Eva crossover unless Michael Bay

is hiding something from us.

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Here’s some motivation for you fanboys to stop watching cartoons and go make babies! :mrgreen:
    I protest the lack of any Misato related gear.
    Nobuyuki
    Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

I protest the lack of any Misato related gear.

Ehh, I can easier imagine Misato in a babydoll than a baby wearing Misato. ;)

😆
    Mental Floss had a list of Hollywood movies that were influenced or else ripped off from Anime.One of the last ones they mentioned was how Pacific Rim ripped off of several mecha series including Eva.Leading to the usual ‘Shinji-Is-A-Whiner comments. 😆 gendo1
    chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    Apparently Spain really likes EVA. I was strolling through the streets of Bilbao today after visiting the Guggenheim museum (you know, like you do 😆 ), and what do I encounter on the side of a bus stop vestibule?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Spain%20Trip%20-%202014/Basque%20Country/20140712_145952_zpsv5z4p7tg.jpg" />

Also, in case anybody missed my links to the Evangelion and Katana exhibit, here they are again :D

http://s239.photobucket.com/user/chucklocker/library/Spain%20Trip%20-%202014/Evangelion%20-%20Madrid” class=”bbcode_url”>http://s239.photobucket.com/user/chucklocker/library/Spain%20Trip%20-%202014/Evangelion%20-%20Madrid

WOWSERS!

Never knew that Rei could look that sexy before!

*Bump*

So I’ve been re-reading Angelic Days volumes 2-4,and it got me thinking:which of the following

matchups does everyone perfer for Shinji:

Asuka/Shinji or Rei/Shinji?

WisperG
    The answer is Kaworu x Shinji gendo1

Kidding, I hate that pairing sakuyafinger1

Here’s a totally subtle and extremely obtuse hint to my favorite pairing.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/8b/38/5b8b381ff5e224a4b2ad2c9f827abd46.jpg" />

Rei x Shinji 4 LIFE iloveit1

Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

Asuka/Shinji or Rei/Shinji?

gendo1

For me it’s a bit of a toss-up, I love both Rei and Asuka for different reasons

I think Rei x Shinji is probably what Shinji wanted initially and Rei was the first of the girl children who I definitely took to initially.

But lets face it, Asuka x Shinji is just more realistic, plus I think just about everyone on planet earth can relate to the relationship that Asuka and Shinji have.

So I gotta go with

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6hy2dap3F1rz25gno1_500.gif" />

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Let them decide among themselves which one’s the wife and which one’s the mistress. ;)

Plus, there’s still Misato. ;3

Yeah but she still has the hots for you-know-who.(NOT Pen Pen! 😆 )

Well I do think that Rei x Shinji would be a really interesting couple I really do have to agree that the way the

whole franchise is set up that Asuka x Shinji almost seems inevitable.

It’s interesting in both Angelic Days and The Shinji Ikari Raising Project Asuka and Shinji are actually

childhood friends and live in the same apartment complex.

And btw:Does anyone else think that The Shinji Ikari Raising Project sounds less like a name of an

Neon Genesis Evangelion alternate universe manga and more like a ’90s Japanese Folk Rock band? 😆

If anyone wants an idea to name their band while there you have it! iloveit1

One twist that they give in The Shinji Ikari Raising Project is that Rei is supposedly a distant cousin on his

mother’s side.This is the reason they give for her moving in and living with the Ikaris.

Nil Admirari
    none
    The official site was updated earlier today with something quite… odd. Instead of the expected 4.0 movie, whatever is to come is called 3.0 + 1.0.

http://i.imgur.com/0hQZvO8.png" />

EDIT: Anno seems to have placed a paper lantern out during a festival that had already teased this. The subtitle reads “無在原点” or, “There is no origin”, perhaps giving us a hint at the title for the new work.

I would love to blame that on Common Core or the New Math but it just looks like Anno teasing us so the finale will be a BIG SECRET(tm).Considering how critics seemed to have panned 3.0 perhaps he decided to play it safe.
    chucklocker
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Considering how critics seemed to have panned 3.0 perhaps he decided to play it safe.

Not bloody likely if you ask me. The day Anno plays anything safe is the day hell freezes over.

Anyway, as for the whole 3.0 + 1.0 thing, my bet is that it’s the first tease we’re getting in the run-up to Final. Rather than being Final itself, I think it’s gonna be some sort of special or teaser/preview for Final, very much like the 7ish minute preview that appeared before 3.0 was released. As for the message on the lantern, it’s probably just a clever, purposely ambiguous ploy to get the fans ginned up and theorizing. It worked :D All this being said, I’m sure that I’m entirely wrong, because with Anno and Eva you can (not) predict.

You’re probably right about it being a teaser chuck.Unless Anno has gone all New Math on us. 😆

In any case I still need to get 3.0.

Reading the first volume of The Shinji Ikari Detective Diaries on Sunday.Since it’s only two volumes it’ll be a fast read.Especially since I don’t have volume 2 yet.The EVAs in this version have human appearance.

Still not as seemingly bad as the one where they appear to rip off Tokko. Kiyofacepalm1

Read volume 1 of The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary yesterday.Ritsuko and Hikar were the only main characters not included.So Kaiji and gendo1 have competing detective agencies and Rei and Asuka work for gendo1 gendo1

while Shinji is shanghaied into working with Kaworu at Kaiji’s.And of course Misato is also working for him and his

chief investigator is Pen Pen! iloveit1

Great Moment:When Asuka and Kaworu summon their Evas to fight but they refuse and Shinji suggests a staring

contest!

Nil Admirari
    none
    Some big news just dropped.

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Blu-ray box set is due to release in Japan in the summer of 2015. The contents?

The entire original TV show

Death & Rebirth

End of Evangelion

Revival of Evangelion

All in glorious, remastered 1080p. There will also be a DVD box set as well, which will only contain the original show, as well as Death & Rebirth. Pricing and release date are currently not known, but will be announced at a later date.

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/ng.html

gendo1

Anonymous
    See this throws the North American license game into a whole nother universe.

Manga owns End of Eva + Death & Rebirth

Section23 has the series

Funi has the rebuilds (Not any of the contents here, but you know they are going to be trying to low ball bid)

At this point, my money’s on Section23, If Funi couldn’t pony up for Sailor Moon there’s no way in hell that they will put up the money that Khara wants for that whole thing.

Plus it’s going to be a bid war, in much the same fashion as End of Eva originally was, highest bidder wins, Manga and Sentai/Section 23 have A LOT to gain by going after this.

My only real fear, is that one or both of the companies involved won’t be able to acquire the dub for the other companies product (Sentai getting Manga’s EoE dub and or Manga not getting Sentai’s series dub)

I know a lot of people wanted Sailor Moon to happen, but THIS is where we see who the real big dogs of American Anime licensing are.

And considering we are still waiting for Funi to get on the ball and release the third Rebuild movie…

The last I looked Rightstuf still had it tagged TBA.Unless things have changed.

If I had the money and a Bluray player I would definitely gooble this up as soon as it came out.

WisperG

Dagon123 wrote:

See this throws the North American license game into a whole nother universe.

Manga owns End of Eva + Death & Rebirth

Section23 has the series

FYI, Manga and Sentai/ADV’s licenses expired years ago. No Eva animation is currently licensed in North America aside from the first 3 Rebuild films.

In the end, I think this will come down to FUNi and Sentai, unless Viz tries to jump in there. I don’t see Manga as a contender. They’re not really a “company” anymore, at this point they’re barely more than a label for Anchor Bay’s few and far between anime/adult animation releases. And I just don’t see a major American corporation like Anchor Bay paying through the nose for something like Evangelion (which is arguably a hard sell to a general audience beyond anime fans).

I do find this announcement surprising though. The TV show and 90’s movies were basically on lockdown while the new movies were being released. No licenses, no JP releases, nothing, but it seems Gainax/Khara have changed their stance on this to tide people over on the long wait for 4.0

Also, what exactly is Revival of Evangelion?

mitsuki lover wrote:

And considering we are still waiting for Funi to get on the ball and release the third Rebuild movie…

The last I looked Rightstuf still had it tagged TBA.Unless things have changed.

Unfortunately, things have not changed. Just be aware that it’s more the Japanese side that’s holding things up.

Nil Admirari
    none

WisperG wrote:

I do find this announcement surprising though. The TV show and 90’s movies were basically on lockdown while the new movies were being released. No licenses, no JP releases, nothing, but it seems Gainax/Khara have changed their stance on this to tide people over on the long wait for 4.0

Supposedly, Khara has purchased the remaining rights from Gainax. So from here on out, Khara has full control over what happens, which has resulted in this blu ray transfer. There may have been legal issues preventing a release that they no longer have to worry about.

Quote:

Also, what exactly is Revival of Evangelion?

It is a cut of ‘Death(True)’ (itself already a recut of ‘Death & Rebirth’) and ‘End of’ with a few edits made to each film.

Oh so basically we have to wait for Funi to get the word from Japan?
    WisperG
    ^ Something like that, yeah.

I got a good chuckle out of this video ^^

[BBvideo 500,300]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM1TJRbmXwI[/BBvideo]

😆 😆 😆 😆

yeah,as someone who took piano lessons and was in the school band,all I gotta say is his technique,

wait a minute WHAT technique? is awful. Even a cat walking across a keyboard would be an

improvement.

Here’s to you Kaworu: sakuyafinger1

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    http://animatorexpo.com/untilyoucometome/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://animatorexpo.com/untilyoucometome/

Wow. So for those not following Studio Khara’s latest project of producing shorts by up and coming young animators (which I recommend you do, because some of them are really neat!) the latest one was Evangelion related! Directed by the film director of the rebuild movies, scored by the composer of the movies, animated by Studio Khara, and executive produced by Anno himself, this is an honest to goodness Evangelion animation!

Set to an orchestral version of the stirring Irish folk song “Danny Boy,” it’s mostly a series of landscapes and collages, but there is some full motion animation towards the end. The coolest thing though is that it is set after the events of the third rebuild movie! Give it a watch Eva fans, and tell me what you think!

Eva and “Londonderry Air” aka “Danny Boy” sounds like a nice taste treat to me. iloveit1 soawesome1
    chucklocker
    Participant
    none

Must… resist… urge… to… ship!

Er….does this mean that Shinji and Sayaka are now a couple? 😆
    woooo1

er…what?

And Asuka is the offical Red Headed Tsundere of America!
    Apparently there’s a Neon Genesis Evangelion game out there that introduces a new female

character named Mayumi. I only know about it since I got her on a personality quiz I took yesterday.

(Should have written down the url but didn’t think to…sorry…)Any way what makes her so interesting is that for some reason or other she has the Core of a new angel within her.

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

‘Cause I sure don’t! 😆

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

And Asuka is the offical Red Headed Tsundere of America!

Even though she is being German most of the time in the first EVA

I think she’s officially American of German and Japanese descent but she was raised for the most part in Germany and thus thinks herself being more German than American.
    Nobuyuki
    Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Apparently there’s a Neon Genesis Evangelion game out there that introduces a new female

character named Mayumi…Any way what makes her so interesting is that for some reason or other she has the Core of a new angel within her.

Anyone know what I’m talking about?

‘Cause I sure don’t! 😆

*Google-Fu!*

Yep that was what I was talking about.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    http://images.sgcafe.net/2013/08/ah_eva1.jpg" />

And a cake to go with (and no, Rei does not pop out)

Of course we all know the cake is a lie but personally I wouldn’t mind having that Rei figurine on top of my birthday cake. soawesome1
    We need more Misato and Pen Pen pictures for this thread now.
    Yes,but can we have one of her sober?

Or better yet Misato dressed up as Revy from Black Lagoon.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Yes,but can we have one of her sober?

Answer:

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/write.ign.com/167101/2015/02/BE700DCC5.jpg" />

Yeah! Misato’s soawesome1
    She was my fave character from the git go.
    Asuka and Rei are pretty much tied in my estimation for second place.
    😆 😆 😆

Yeah…pretty much so.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Would this tip the scales

http://cassland.org/images/EG/Asuka1.jpg" />

That’s like me on a very very VERY bad day.( Are we sure Asuka doesn’t have any Irish mixed in with

all that German and Japanese?)

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

( Are we sure Asuka doesn’t have any Irish mixed in with

all that German and Japanese?)

I don’t know, I think Misato would count because she drinks breakfast, lunch and dinner.

😆

Misato also drives like Yukari from Azumanga Daioh!

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

😆

Misato also drives like Yukari from Azumanga Daioh!

yep

http://webpages.charter.net/smerrow/posters/reckless.jpg" />

They’re also both slobs…I really think they’re related somehow.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

They’re also both slobs…I really think they’re related somehow.

If they are, Misato is the awesome one

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    This thread has been getting a bit too agreeable for an Eva thread lately. Where’s the bombastic grandstanding, the incendiary theory-crafting, and the compulsive analysis Eva devotees are known for?! Come on, guys, throw a few bombs once and while! Lol, of course I’m exaggerating, you guys have been good contributors, but I would like to spice things up a bit. To that end, here’s a controversial opinion for you all to chew over. SPOILERS FOR THE REBUILD MOVIES AHEAD.

It would have been much better if Asuka had died in the second rebuild movie. That’s right, I wish Asuka had bought the farm when she had her entry plug munched by Unit O1. Now, I know you’re thinking, “Chuck’s been on one too many law school benders,” but hear me out! I’m as big an Asuka fan as anyone, but there are several reasons why the Rebuild movies would be significantly better if the redheaded goddess were six feet under. While you’re going for your pitchforks, allow me to list them for you.

First, the Asuka of the Rebuild films isn’t the “real” Asuka. No, no, no, I’m not talking about the sequel/reincarnation/parallel universe theory, I mean she’s not the Asuka we all know and love. The Asuka of the TV series is a deeply conflicted, psychologically twisted, and ultimately self-destructive character. The Asuka of the Rebuild movies, on the other hand, is little more than your run-of-the-mill modern tsundere. Gone are the abandonment and self-worth issues that made her so dynamic in the TV series. Instead, we’re treated to cooking contests with Rei for Shinji’s affection. Blech. Sadly, this problem persists into the third Rebuild movie, where apparently even 14 years of fighting for her life and living in a hellish, post-apocalyptic wasteland as a fugitive isn’t enough to shake her nauseatingly one dimensional love-hate attraction to Shinji. Finally, even the writers seem to know she isn’t the same Asuka, seeing as they changed her name from Soryu to Shikinami. All in all, she lost everything that made her such an appealing character in the first place, which is a fate worse than death, so she may as well have died and preserved her dignity.

Second, her death would have improved the substance and content of the Rebuild films. Having Asuka’s death on his hands would have been a great boon to Shinji’s character (even if it really was the dummy plug that did the deed), and would have added an interesting new dimension to his antagonistic relationship with Gendo. “But wait,” you say, “Touji survived the same encounter in the TV series. Why is Asuka’s survival any different?” I’m very glad you asked. Touji’s survival is actually quite different in many ways, for example: in Touji’s case, Shinji doesn’t know who’s on the other end of the slaughter until after it’s all over, whereas in Rebuild he knows that it’s Asuka, who he’s lived and fought side by side with, making his mental anguish all that much greater. Also, in the TV series Shinji has to live with the guilt of Touji’s injuries up close and personal for quite a while, while in Rebuild Asuka is promptly swept aside as the plot moves along and the entire incident is basically forgotten (for now at least). Finally, in the manga version of the incident, Touji actually does die, emotionally crushing Shinji and radically changing his relationship with himself and his friends, and that was just Touji! Imagine what wonderful character building could have been accomplished had it been Asuka.

Finally, Asuka’s death would have solved many of Rebuild’s existential problems. The chief complaint levied against the Rebuild movies is that they have been heavy on style but lacking in the innovation and depth of the TV series, and that they haven’t really offered anything new to fans. Killing off the (arguably) most popular character so early on would have been an incredibly gutsy move, and would have gone a long way in negating the claims of unoriginality and accusations of shameless cash grabbing that have dogged Rebuild so far. Another frequent complaint with the Rebuild movies has been the enigmatic nature of the new character, Mari Illustrious Makinami. She really hasn’t done much so far other than steal screen time from Asuka, be the new “sexy” character, and be an excuse to sell more figures. When you get right down to it, the three pilot dynamic is a core element of the Eva experience, and a fourth full-time pilot dilutes it more than it adds to it. It’s clear that Anno (hopefully) has a great plan for Mari, but having to divide her time with Asuka is a drag on his ability to fully utilize her character. This plot ain’t big enough for the both of ’em and they’ve both suffered as a result of it. Killing Asuka would have cleared the way to fully incorporate Mari in a more meaningful way, which is exactly what the movies have struggled with so far.

So, am I all wet? Will I have to change my name and enter witness protection? Sound off with your thoughts below, and if you have any crazy/controversial opinions or theories of your own I would love to read them!

Nobuyuki
    Participant

chucklocker wrote:

First, the Asuka of the Rebuild films isn’t the “real” Asuka. No, no, no, I’m not talking about the sequel/reincarnation/parallel universe theory, I mean she’s not the Asuka we all know and love. The Asuka of the TV series is a deeply conflicted, psychologically twisted, and ultimately self-destructive character. The Asuka of the Rebuild movies, on the other hand, is little more than your run-of-the-mill modern tsundere. Gone are the abandonment and self-worth issues that made her so dynamic in the TV series. Instead, we’re treated to cooking contests with Rei for Shinji’s affection.

http://papiblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Knucks1.jpg" />

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

chucklocker wrote:

First, the Asuka of the Rebuild films isn’t the “real” Asuka. No, no, no, I’m not talking about the sequel/reincarnation/parallel universe theory, I mean she’s not the Asuka we all know and love. The Asuka of the TV series is a deeply conflicted, psychologically twisted, and ultimately self-destructive character. The Asuka of the Rebuild movies, on the other hand, is little more than your run-of-the-mill modern tsundere. Gone are the abandonment and self-worth issues that made her so dynamic in the TV series. Instead, we’re treated to cooking contests with Rei for Shinji’s affection.

I have seen the tv series and EoE movie, but not rebuild movies. From what chuck said, kinda glad I didn’t see the rebuild. It sounds like they shot the essence of characters from eva, eva is not eva if doesn’t have damaged characters that have scars that show. I realize it’s a movie series and not tv series where they can gradually show the characters and flesh out their problems and see them struggle with them.

But you don’t take a character like Asuka with problems that made her who she is, haunt her everyday and make her and make her generic. Eva is not generic, it’s ( and don’t remember who said this) depression in a box. People that have problems that scar them psychologically that they deal with in their own ways, are thrown a fight for survival on the brink of extinction, and have all limits pushed to being wrecked. In what way does this seem like typical anime, Eva is not normal, Eva is where we can actually see humanity in a fictional characters and contemplate one’s own in the world.

I have not seen the rebuild, so I don’t know the direction it’s going. Maybe they’re trying to go a different approach to psychologically damage Asuka or the characters. We to wait till the final movie to see what the characters finally turn out and judge them completely.

My only complaint about the Rebuilds so far is why is it taking them so long to release the third movie on DVD?

I’m not going to comment on anything past the second movie or try to second guess.

The fact is I’m tired of second guessing,especially when people are still second guessing that

final Superbowl play!(Which I say…give it a rest already…)

Now back to our regularly scheduled Asuka Worship iloveit1 : I do think that the ending of

the second movie was traumatic enough as it was in regards to Asuka. I really don’t think

it could have been done any better.

Also I really think you’d get a lot of Asuka fanboys pissed if you killed her off like that.

Now as far as Shinji goes, he’s got enough problems emotionally as it is without killing

off what is in reality his surrogate sister.

I really think if you killed Asuka off at the end of the second Rebuild movie he’d really loose it.

Anonymous

chucklocker wrote:

So, am I all wet? Will I have to change my name and enter witness protection? Sound off with your thoughts below, and if you have any crazy/controversial opinions or theories of your own I would love to read them!

If anything Chuck, as long as you hate on 3.33 enough they’ll make you king!

All (half) kidding aside, I agree 100% that Asuka should have died, why? Because it would have (much like you ascertained) fixed a lot of problems with both her and other characters.

And I’m not going to even worry about where I throw my stones on this point, fans complain about 3.33 being an “accident” and a “mistake” but to me, Mari Illustrious (Really?) Makinami was one of THE biggest mistakes Khara / Anno ever made for this series, because in 8 years time (not counting Sadamoto’s Manga, because it really shouldn’t in this case) we know really nothing about her, and more importantly, we have no real reason to care, other than her existence being a device to make easy money off of.

How does this relate to Asuka? Mari being connected to Asuka has helped effectively neuter Asuka’s character. Everything that Asuka does, Mari can pretty much do better, and she’s so out of place it’s almost painful, 3.0 highlighted this like a fucking pin.

She’s always on cleanup duty, almost as if to say “We know you won’t get it done, or we know you’ll need backup”, making Asuka’s lack of character even more striking.

If Asuka would have died at the end of 2.0, It would not only give a chance to get back to what Eva is (much like 3.0 did) but she would literally be the martyr plot device that could change Mari into a character we could associate with (or at the very least get some understand from).

Often times we scoff at the idea of reading into something as anything more than conjecture because the creator didn’t come right out and say it, but after 3.0 (and really realizing all that Anno and staff put into the original series) I have no other way than to think that Anno may have looked at how he did the first 2 rebuilds as a mistake (as opposed to the other way around which the “fans” like to tell themselves at night), and that Asuka’s line “It’s the curse of the Eva’s” was Anno’s way of showing that, not just about the series, but Asuka in particular.

The curse of the Eva’s of course being a metaphor for the status quo of what the “fans” “want” Eva to be, and not what it actually is or should be.

Great idea for a post chuck, you always seem to have a third eye when it comes to Eva stuff like this.

But does Mari have the same sort of relationship to Shinji that Asuka has?

Like I said Asuka can be seen as being somewhat in the sense of Shinji’s surrogate sister.

They have pretty much a sibling relationship throughout the anime. And in a real sense,despite

appearances, they really do care about each other. Misato and Rei are the only other two people that

Shinji seems to have such an emotional attachment to.

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    [BBvideo]http://youtu.be/n_OC-RAm7Qs[/BBvideo]
    Have you ever noticed with all the talk about Asuka’s mom that we never really learn that much about her father. I mean aside from Gendo, what kind of man allows his child to do something

as dangerous as what the EVA pilots do?

In fact who is Asuka’s dad? Where is he during all this time?

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

Have you ever noticed with all the talk about Asuka’s mom that we never really learn that much about her father. I mean aside from Gendo, what kind of man allows his child to do something

as dangerous as what the EVA pilots do?

In fact who is Asuka’s dad? Where is he during all this time?

In the anime, we simply don’t know. Literally the only official bit of info about her father is that he’s American.

In the manga she doesn’t even have a real father. Her mother had her through artificial insemination.

That’s interesting. So he’s pretty much only a shadow then. I wonder what his ethnic make up was.

And Snow…Asuka really does look like Kyoko in those pics you put up! soawesome1

Nobuyuki
    Participant

Nobuyuki wrote:

Here’s some motivation for you fanboys to stop watching cartoons and go make babies! :mrgreen:

They should be about big enough for these now. ;-)

chucklocker
    Participant
    none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

They should be about big enough for these now. ;-)

Man… the obscure spinoff merchandise is getting obscure spinoff merchandise. When will it end?!

Nobuyuki
    Participant

chucklocker wrote:

Man… the obscure spinoff merchandise is getting obscure spinoff merchandise. When will it end?!

Dude… this is Eva we’re talking about. gendo1

It’s like The Song That Never Ends. 😆 😆

I swear somewhere someone is already writing:The Gospel According To Neon Genesis Evangelion if they haven’t already. I mean it seems inevitable something like that will happen(

IIRC someone has already done The Gospel According To The Simpsons).

ChaudSept
    iloveit1

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqJdjkaL8eQ[/BBvideo]

If I had to choose between killing Asuka in 2.0 and making disappear Mari of the Rebuilds…

I would wipe out the pink one. gendo1

B…but Chibiusa isn’t in Eva!…. 😆 😆 😆

Seriously Mari and Asuka should just duke it out in their Evas to see who survives.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Just throwing it out there if no one has heard of it, there is a Light Novel of Evangelion called Neon Genesis Evangelion: ANIMA. Started 2008 and I think it’s still ongoing

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Anima” class=”bbcode_url”>http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Anima

So far no full translated novel that can be found, only summarized parts

Where’s Ritsuko? Did she not survive the Seele attack in this alternate world?

It’s interesting that the main Rei clone keeps away from Shinji because she fears she might

become Yui in the future.Or did I read that right?

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Where’s Ritsuko? Did she not survive the Seele attack in this alternate world?

It’s interesting that the main Rei clone keeps away from Shinji because she fears she might

become Yui in the future.Or did I read that right?

the parts that are stated are from summed up parts of the text I believe, the LN’s are still ongoing, and there is no full translation of them to confirm.

Ok.But I still find it hard to believe she wouldn’t be even mentioned even if she was killed by SEELE.

I wonder how many versions of Eva exist now,including how the manga versions.

ChaudSept
    There are :

The series, NGE +- the movie End of Evangelion

The manga NGE by Sadamoto

The new films, aka the Rebuild aka NTE

The novel Eva Anima

The manga Angelic Days

There is also a few games :D

That’s a lot of continuities, isn’t?

As for Ritsuko, she has apparently been reported killed in action. It is said in a summary of a chapter.

That’s sad that Misato loses her best friend and drinking buddy. :(

There are actually at least 4 or 5 different manga as far as I am aware.That’s counting the original based on the anime.

I see you excluded the Death And Rebirth movie.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

That’s sad that Misato loses her best friend and drinking buddy.

Ritsuko usually dies at the end of the manga or anime

ChaudSept

mitsuki lover wrote:

There are actually at least 4 or 5 different manga as far as I am aware.That’s counting the original based on the anime. I see you excluded the Death And Rebirth movie.

I don’t know how Angelic Days is organized but as far as the ones retelling the story go, (aka Sadamoto’s mangas), there are I think something like 14 volumes !

The last one is an “after the end of evangelion” kind of story.

Btw I own two omnibus (first and fourth), they have 3 volumes each included in ’em. iloveit1

I excluded Death and Rebirth, because.. well it’s not another continuity like the Rebluids are. But you’re right, it is another version in some ways.

From what I understand it also is the prelude to End of Evangelion.

AFAIG: it must suck to be Ritsuko then:her mother commits suicide after having an affair with gendo1 and then she herself gets killed.

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

From what I understand it also is the prelude to End of Evangelion.

Death and Rebirth? Not exactly. The first half (Death) is a rather odd, introspective compilation film covering all the angel encounters and important events from the TV show, while the 2nd half (Rebirth) is a not-quite-100% finished version of the first half of EoE.

I don’t think the compilation part even works that great to get people up-to-speed so they can watch EoE. It’s too truncated and relies too much on on-screen text for it to really make sense for anyone who isn’t already familiar with the series. It does make for a rather interesting art house-y film though… assuming you’ve seen the show.

I really wonder sometimes how much the story behind EOE is true and how much of it was

Gainax pulling fans’ legs.

Nobuyuki
    Participant

chucklocker wrote:

When will it end?!

Not anytime soon.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/harleybmw/evaundies01_zpsznxuzhch.jpg" />

Who knew that Shinji was such a perv! 😆 😆

kidding.

Seriously though it’s pretty easy to guess which pair belongs to which girl.

Coffee and Misato don’t seem to go together some how.Now if it were beer or sake I could see it.
    BTW: Don’t they have one with Rei on the can? I see one with Kaworu but not with Rei.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

BTW: Don’t they have one with Rei on the can? I see one with Kaworu but not with Rei.

yeah there is

https://bd77.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ucc01.jpg" />

Creepiest plate ever

https://thecajunsamurai.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/tumblr_lcy450u31m1qzk0vno1_500.jpg?w=500&h=261&crop=1" />

Ah! I see even the new gal gets one too.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Yeah and some custom Eva keycaps I found

http://i.imgur.com/FVW9qpc.jpg" />

Sorry but when I saw the key taps I immediately thought: “You Can (Not) Type”! 😆
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    The stuff that people make:

Evangelion spoon set

http://yattarjapan.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/main-eva-500×355.jpg" />

A cool computer Evangelion mod

http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/3700/2_0_547.jpg" />

What I fear is someone writing: The Gospel According To Neon Genesis Evangelion ever since

The Gospel According To Peanuts came out in the ’60s there has been a large cottage industry of such books.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Is there a book or books full of information of Evangelion and related material. Kinda of like the Fallout Bible, a collection of books with info on the Fallout series games.
    No. It’s when some one takes something from pop culture and then tries to put some deep theological meaning to it.Some times it makes sense as in the original The Gospel According To Peanuts and its follow up Parables of Peanuts simply because Charles M. Schultz

was a Christian.

Some times,as in a lot of these other books, it’s just one big stretch of the theological imagination.

Though I could see someone trying to use Shinji to illustrate the sufferings of Job.Which I admit is a bit of a stretch in and of itself.Maybe that makes Asuka Job’s wife? who knows?

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

It’s when some one takes something from pop culture and then tries to put some deep theological meaning to it.

Isn’t that a little redundant with Evangelion since it’s already based on the Bible? Still want to know if there is a collection of books on Eva

Well the literal translation would be something like: “The New Beginning Good News”.

As far as the other: yeah, I think there were some art books that came out a few years back.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

As far as the other: yeah, I think there were some art books that came out a few years back.

Cool, anymore news or anything on the Evangelion novel: ANIMA?

I don’t know if I heard about that. Is it recent?
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I don’t know if I heard about that. Is it recent?

It’s a light novel of Evangelion that’s been going on for a couple of years, I mentioned it before and you discussed it as well

http://www.tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=932&start=220#p29933” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=932&start=220#p29933

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Anima” class=”bbcode_url”>http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Anima

Well this thread has been going on for quite awhile now so I probably forgot all about it.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well this thread has been going on for quite awhile now so I probably forgot all about it.

That can happen a lot in long threads

Is Evastore actually real?

http://www.evastore.jp/pc/images/lib/theme-es-renewal2014/es-re-sttl-r.jpg" />

Nobuyuki
    Participant

Quote:

Is Evastore actually real?

Of course.

soawesome1 iloveit1

I personally draw the line at Rei or Asuka boxer shorts.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

soawesome1 iloveit1

I personally draw the line at Rei or Asuka boxer shorts.

I checked, something called 3RDWARE makes Asuka and Rei boxers

Kiyofacepalm1 Kiyofacepalm1 Kiyofacepalm1

We are doomed! gendo1

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

We are doomed!

Well, there’s other stuff: watches, cups, shoes, etc.

Misato Beer would be a good idea now to chase away the image of people wearing boxers with Rei and Asuka on them.Beer and Misato go together.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Misato Beer would be a good idea now to chase away the image of people wearing boxers with Rei and Asuka on them.Beer and Misato go together.

Couldn’t find it, but found a NERV coupe

https://taylortotokyo.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/evastore6.jpg" />

and to replace the boxer image, here’s this

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/The_Fireballed_Mage/Eva%20works/Together4.jpg" />

I want the coupe.Also is Asuka kissing Shinji or giving him a noogie? 😆
    Nobuyuki
    Participant
    “Chu” is the onomatopoeia for kissing.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    I wants me a Misato plushie is all I can say.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I wants me a Misato plushie is all I can say.

Found one, don’t know where to get it though

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/77712/4da50adf1b195_77712n.jpg" />

soawesome1 iloveit1

And now I have to look up Rightstuf to see if they have any Eva plushies, though the last time I looked it was mainly Pen Pen and Rei.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

soawesome1 iloveit1

And now I have to look up Rightstuf to see if they have any Eva plushies, though the last time I looked it was mainly Pen Pen and Rei.

Could try the Evastore, maybe it’s there, otherwise it might be a custom plushie

They didn’t have any but they do have Asuka and Rei racing nenodroids. Also non- Eva related they still got Homura and Kyubey plushies! soawesome1

I can see if someone had the money and the space they could go nutso on all the merchandise.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

They didn’t have any but they do have Asuka and Rei racing nenodroids. Also non- Eva related they still got Homura and Kyubey plushies! soawesome1

I can see if someone had the money and the space they could go nutso on all the merchandise.

The Misato plush is also called Evangelion UFO Catcher Misato, maybe it comes from a claw machine in Japan.

Found some places that sells it

http://www.bonanza.com/items/like/13980736/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Misato-UFO-Catcher-Anime-Plush” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.bonanza.com/items/like/13980736/Neon-Genesis-Evangelion-Misato-UFO-Catcher-Anime-Plush

http://animetoys.ecrater.com/p/11134812/evangelion-ufo-catcher-plush-misato” class=”bbcode_url”>http://animetoys.ecrater.com/p/11134812/evangelion-ufo-catcher-plush-misato

Are those sites like eBay?
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Are those sites like eBay?

Don’t know them, maybe? I just found the plush there when I looked them up

Did you find anything Pen Pen related as well? Can’t have Misato without having our favorite

Penguin as well.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkeWGLgfY7RKzxlUEpRkTXg.jpg" />

Pen Pen plush, pretty sure it can be found on amazon or ebay

The problem is I don’t have any place to put them if I even got them. Alas I can only dream of such things for now.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

The problem is I don’t have any place to put them if I even got them. Alas I can only dream of such things for now.

Otaku’s find a way (said like life finds a way quote)

But at least nice to get the pen pen plush

WisperG
    Holy crap, two years later and the long-delayed US release of Evangelion 3.33 finally has a release date.

Mark your calendars! February 2, 2016.

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Good. I’ll finally watch it.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    It’s good we get a release for 3.33, but has there been any news or more teasers for the final movie? I really want to see how they are going to end it.
    Finally…I can die now that it’s finally getting released. 😆 😆 😆

For a long while I thought I was going to have to live to the age of Methuselah just in order to get a chance to get a copy.

It had better be worth all this waiting. Also the Cubs better win the World Series this year or I shall be very disappointed, but that’s beside the fact( I thought the Cubs were going to make the World Series before 3.33 was actually released in North America).

Nobuyuki
    Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

It had better be worth all this waiting.

We report, you decide-

From FUNi’s shop:

Quote:

SPECIAL FEATURES

52 page, full color guidebook

Rebuild of Evangelion:3.33

EVA-EXTRA 08

Japanese Teasers and Trailers

TV Spots

U.S. Trailer

Trailers

* opinion of film content may vary.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    This idea was thrown around in the mini chat

Ukinojo92 wrote:

a thought a occured ep 6 of tenchi ova 1 came out 1994, end of evangelion came out in 1997 [ this part in the kagato fight, stop at 1:43 ] reminds me of eva or did eva copy tenchi?

Ukinojo92 wrote:

i also see resemblance when i look at these two pics side by side: 1 and 2

The True Tenchi Muyo Jurai Novel came out in 1997

WisperG wrote:

August, specifically. EoE came out a month before, in July, but was in the planning stages since early ’96 when the TV series finished. It’s too close, I think it’s’ just a coincidence unless Kajishima was EoE and immediately ran to the office to draw that cover.

It is a bit of my theory that Tenchi was in a way influencing or at least just a little, and Kajishima also tried to put some Eva into his works

ChaudSept wrote:

Kajishima’s inspiration of Eva is seeable in a lot of his material, really not just Dual. Like how ova3 ends, thats some big EoE stuff

I went to Rightstuf Monday and checked up and they do have 3.33 finally listed as a pre-order for

February.

And now all we need is the final movie to come out.

For anyone who has actually seen 3.33 already is there any one character we ought to really

root for?

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

For anyone who has actually seen 3.33 already is there any one character we ought to really

root for?

It’s Evangelion how do not like all the characters, each a individual and together make a story. Besides Eva is not really the story where you root for characters. You watch them in situations that go from bad to worse, horrible and then world shattering apocalypse. Everyone is in the same boat.

Well anyone but gendo1 then. Seriously someone ought to do it from his pov just to see how

crazy it be.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well anyone but gendo1 then. Seriously someone ought to do it from his pov just to see how

crazy it be.

Sitting, he is usually just sitting

😆

true, but he hasn’t to get up to go to the bathroom and eat, doesn’t he? 😆 😆 😆

Basically I think it be cool if they did gendo1 like in the manga: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project.

I mean he’s not a douchebag in that manga(probably because his wife is still alive).

Speaking of Yui Ikari I wonder what it would’ve been like if she were the head of NERV.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Speaking of Yui Ikari I wonder what it would’ve been like if she were the head of NERV.

Pretty sure there be no Evangelion since Yui was Gendo’s motivation in the series to cause 3rd impact to happen

That might be, though I think she’d be soawesome1 as Head of NERV. Then again in the

Raising Shinji Ikari Project manga she practically runs the show and also wears the pants in the family! 😆 😆

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Then again in the Raising Shinji Ikari Project manga she practically runs the show and also wears the pants in the family!

Exactly that’s why it would be boring, there’d be no real challenge and no real struggle since she runs the place

Ok…so you want a challenge:Let’s put Asuka in charge of everything! iloveit1
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok…so you want a challenge:Let’s put Asuka in charge of everything! iloveit1

Everyone turns in a resignation form and Asuka blames Shinji

😆 😆

And they all start drinking like Misato!

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

😆 😆

And they all start drinking like Misato!

That’ll only be on Saturdays , when Misato is in charge.

All the rest of the time Pen Pen is in charge of watching Asuka. Well Asuka would be a better choice than Shinji to lead NERV. Shinji would make too angsty a leader always doubting his every move.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well Asuka would be a better choice than Shinji to lead NERV. Shinji would make too angsty a leader always doubting his every move.

True, but I think it would be ultimately Ritsuko in charge since they need an adult, she is probably the only adult out of them.

Nobuyuki
    Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

Shinji would make too angsty a leader always doubting his every move.

If Shinji were a little older, it’d probably be all right with the world:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/evangelion/images/b/b5/Young_Gendo.png/revision/latest?cb=20120317171139" />

Quote:

Ritsuko… she is probably the only adult out of them.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9a/9a32b5fd2e96017c9d8f02162b2fb06caaa83327da49a61274dcba6af038d7d3.jpg" />

Ritsuko though isn’t necessarily stable mentally, I mean that whole thing toward the end of the series when she destroyed the remaining Rei clones. Yeah, I admit they were a bit creepy looking

to begin with in those tubes…still that was one creepy scene!

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Everyone is unstable in EVA

Some sort of EVA ceramic pot or something

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTLRlPAUEAEbRmc.jpg" />

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTLRrtQUYAAykyb.jpg" />

8-)

Are those fish eggs?

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Yeah I guess
    Well you can either eat ’em or use ’em for bait! 😆
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    I tried to look for the light novel Evangelion: ANIMA, but any translation effort has received a cease and desist from author. Also it looks like there is 43 chapters or episodes of ANIMA
    That’s bad.

Oh…I was just thinking…as anyone done the Eva characters as the gang from Peanuts?

I was just thinking about that since the movie is out. I think Asuka would be Lucy, Shinji of course

would Charlie Brown, Pen Pen could be Snoopy or Woodstock, can’t think of the others though..

😆 😆

It totally makes sense actually if you think about it,and Asuka yelling at Shinji to get into the Eva like that! iloveit1 iloveit1

Perfect! soawesome1 iloveit1
    Yes…I can see why that would work. Though is that implying that Jeri is the Rei character?
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Though is that implying that Jeri is the Rei character?

yeah I guess, or it is just convenience to use her

Or else they’re both a bit creepy if you think about it. Especially with Jeri’s sock puppet.

Sock puppets are creepy! On clown level of creepiness!

Maybe I should go back and add Kill La Kill to my list? Thought just jumped into my head.

Anyways I think those two would definitely give Rei and Asuka a run for their money.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Evangelion shaving razors, Gendo’s face just cracks me up

https://thecajunsamurai.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/evashavingdisplay.jpg" />

It give me nightmares. Though I wouldn’t mind Rei giving me a shave. Asuka, I’d be careful about since she might get mad and cut my throat by mistake.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Found the trailer/teaser for the shaver

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDn1QoTVt2U[/BBvideo]

Ok…now I want those three minutes back along with the Mari,Rei and Asuka plushies that come with the razor.
    SnowQueen
    So when Gendo shaves he’s less of a douche bag? Lol

Also in the promo/teaser thing why does Shinji have a collar around his neck? (Only he probably who hasn’t seen EVA)

ChaudSept
    Spoilerless, it’s a device that can stop him from getting in an Eva. He wore it during most of the third movie.
    The Attack on Titan crossover made me think of the Campus Apocalypse manga though

Shinji and Rei look even more badass.

You (Must) Buy Our CD!

soawesome1 iloveit1

FWIW: Asuka is defintely the leader of the band. I wonder what they call their Christmas album?

Whatever it probably has Pen Pen on the cover with a Santa hat.

They look to be from some type of series, but about what?
    SnowQueen
    My first thought was magazine covers but they might be something else. Im not sure blush1
    Almael
    They are the famous out of print (2012)

Gekkan Eva 7 (Book series) (Premium Books)

They cost 495 yen ( $5 ); shipped & imported 5x + rare collection 2x around 50 bucks….

As you can see the covers refer to the remake movies.

My money’s on Haruka and her flying Vespa.
    Almael
    Looking at the price and all for some reason it reminds of those dolls Japanese get for life when they come of age.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

Almael wrote:

it reminds of those dolls Japanese get for life when they come of age.

you mean those Japanese Hinamatsuri dolls

Does it come without the Transformer style Evas? Just wondering because I think just the Asuka

doll by itself would be worth having (as long as she isn’t possessed by a dead female serial killer

and tries to do a Chucky on you! 😆 ).

Almael

Ukinojo92 wrote:

you mean those Japanese Hinamatsuri dolls

Yes.

I’m gonna hate myself for asking but: have there been any EVA/Star Wars mesh ups lately because of the release of the latest film?
    Almael
    Nope, AFAIK but there are weirder things around.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Nobuyuki
    Participant
    I see a likely candidate for the Dark Side. :P
    Actually Eva as Star Wars might even be better than Star Wars as Star Wars!

😆 😆 😆

And yeah….Asuka would make such a cool Sith Lord…er…Lady…Whatever! soawesome1

If only talk Pen Pen we could he make better Yoda that he would!

Plus we wouldn’t have that terrible mistake of Jar Jar Binks…I think Asuka would’ve killed him in

five seconds of meeting him with her Sith Tsundere Powers! iloveit1

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    I tried to find a EVA units steampunk, but all I found was this

http://orig02.deviantart.net/cbcb/f/2011/315/8/f/evangelion___steampunk_by_annuhka-d4ft5wy.jpg" />

Rei looks weirder than normal but Asuka is sooo totally: soawesome1 !

When you do it Steampunk style even Shinji gets to looking a bit cool.

That’s a bit disturbing.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Just wondering, any news on the next Rebuild movie?
    Nobuyuki
    Participant
    ^ None.

P.S.- Happy New Year!

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4lcxvTBsg[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NuFVQk_CCs[/BBvideo]

I just realised something about that final scene, if you look closely Asuka is the only one in the center of the circle with Shinji everyone else is standing on the outside.

More gist for the Shinji/Asuka shippers there! mmhmm1

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I just realised something about that final scene, if you look closely Asuka is the only one in the center of the circle with Shinji everyone else is standing on the outside.

More gist for the Shinji/Asuka shippers there! mmhmm1

Could be a coincidence, I mean in Evangelion it seems to be Rei is closer to Shinji than Asuka is

Yeah but the whole Rei-Is-Really-Yui’s-Clone thing might explain a bit of that.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

it might be it just looked good from a stand point

Though it’s still weird watching Pen Pen clap with everyone else, I mean can penguins clap their wings like that in real life?
    Nobuyuki
    Participant

Quote:

can penguins clap their wings like that in real life?

They don’t get beer from the fridge and drink it, either. ;)

😆 😆 😆

I think Pen Pen was Ein in an earlier lifetime.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

can penguins clap their wings like that in real life?

They don’t get beer from the fridge and drink it, either. ;)

It’s an anime about world ending situation with psychological and theological points, a penguin thrown in seems small in comparison.

😆

But Penguins in anime can be: soawesome1 !

Theologically EVA seems to be a bit all over the place what with taking ideas from Christianity,

Judaism and Buddhism.

Though AFAIG: I would rather take EVA‘s take on the Apocalypse then say Left Behind

any old day.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

But Penguins in anime

In anime, logic gets thrown out the window

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Too true. ;)
    Is there such a thing as logic in the Real World(tm) (aside from Plato?)?

Actually I think EVA is if anything a bit more logical than the real world. I mean gendo1

makes a hell of more sense than The Donald! 😆

Need I say more?

I’d actually vote for a Ritsuko/ Misato ticket if it weren’t that I was already committed to support the

Rally/Lebia ticket from Silent Mobius.

The only problem with Misato being Vice President is that she probably run up the nation’s beer tab!

😆

That be even better if it were Haruko smacking Shinji over the head.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Evangelion: Sherlock holmes edition

http://i.imgur.com/kXQENLo.jpg" />

Pen Pen did it! 😆

Seriously though I love Asuka as Holmes. It some how makes sense.

btw: if anyone hasn’t ,check out: The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary to see the gang involve in some actual detective work.

😆

ummm…. I can’t think of a Pokemon that could beat that.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Actually I would be a bit surprised if they (meaning South Park) hadn’t done an EVA

parody by now.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    pretty sure South Park hasn’t done an EVA parody, they did Akira in one ep but not Eva. Only a short fan made parody is on youtube
    Though it would make total sense if they did do it.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    I believe Evangelion is referenced in one of the eps subtly just don’t know which one
    Can you remember which season of South Park?

That would help to narrow it down a bit.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    9th episode, 17 season, somewhere in the background
    Ok…so I think you mean episode 9 of season 17.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Ok…so I think you mean episode 9 of season 17.

yes

and Eva watches

http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/blog/en/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/evangelion-g-shock-300×250.jpg" />

Cool! Watches!
    Totally weird in a cool sort of way. I mean Hello! Kitty and Eva make for a certain odd

but compelling mixture.

Almael
    It’s eva caneval for cats! :D

It won’t look weird if the Eva mask is lowered.

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Still prefer Sailor Misato.

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80WEPeHuPY0[/BBvideo]

Walmart. :D

Want! soawesome1 iloveit1

I also want to see a fight between Asuka and Ryomou* now. I mean Asuka when she has her eye patch on.

* I just sent in my order for GITS:Arise and Ikki-tousen: Dragon Destiny DVD 2.

Captain Rei and her all girl crew! soawesome1 iloveit1
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    I got more of a Futurama vipe from it, though it’s the same style since Matt Groening created both.
    Ghibli fans just rioted over that one! 😆

Just for the heck of it we need Eva Gilligan’s Island and you can pretty much guess which

one would be Gilligan! (hint initials are Shinji Ikari!) 😆

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Did not noticed this on plastic memories, it copied the scene from Evangelion sorta

https://k46.kn3.net/taringa/2/6/9/3/2/9/85/pelotudo-chan/CC4.jpg" />

Nearly frame for frame. BTW the same thing happens in both episodes 1 and 12 of Please Teacher! as well except it’s Mizuho that ends up on top of Kei!

I think it must be some type of anime trop or whatever.

iloveit1 soawesome1
    Either shampoo or soda would be my guess. If the latter than we can blame it all on Umaru-chan! 😆
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Evangelion rwby crossover

http://i.imgur.com/PDFnhUK.jpg" />

Where was this?
    Oh…so it sounds like you have a year to enjoy it. Best get to Japan fast before March 2017 rolls by.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Evangelion Nerv Pyramid Speaker

http://www.1999.co.jp/itbig19/10199041.jpg" />

You May (Not) Call Pizza Hut On This Speaker. 😆
    Misato should be driving…just saying that the way she drives the pizza would be still hot, as long as you discount the collateral damage on the way. Plus having Pen Pen deliver to the door would be epic!
    Almael
    I think those pizzas are prone to be crisp. 😆

Can anyone see how this involves Devine Gate?

https://lvup.hk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/img_55c977cea1f1b.png" />

What’s Devine Gate? And considering that Sakamoto Maaya got her start as Hitomi in

Escaflowne shouldn’t there be a EVA/Escaflowne crossover somewhere here.

That is if there hasn’t been already.

This thread is getting to the point where I forget.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

Almael wrote:

Can anyone see how this involves Devine Gate?

I guess just the art style

here’s a better one

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/divine-gate/images/b/bb/1396.png/revision/latest?cb=20150813201643" />

Since Mitsihusi Kotono played Misato we should have a group image of Misato with Sailor Moon and Excel Excel and also Miriel from NOIR. soawesome1 iloveit1

just saying how cool that be.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Don’t know what this is but it looks cool

http://i.imgur.com/pdhLRA5.jpg" />

Whatever it is my money is on Rei.
    As usual Asuka looks pissed.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Gurren Lagann Evangelion crossover

http://i.imgur.com/uSZXP8i.jpg" />

Needs Kamina’s shades to really make it work. Also needs Asuka dressed as Yohko and of course the

catch phrase:” Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?”

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Evangelion Gurren Lagann crossover

I think this needed to be done to Shinji from the start

http://i.imgur.com/kRunO9Y.jpg" />

Yup.

Though to be honest he does get punched out in what episode 2 or 3? Also don’t forget that both

Misato and Rei give him a good bit of bitch slapping in the first Rebuild movie!

Actually what Kamina should say is: ” Believe in the Shinji that I believe in.”

:-?

I don’t get that one at all. Is Asuka supposed to be a female version of Frieza?

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I don’t get that one at all. Is Asuka supposed to be a female version of Frieza?

No, Gendo is frieza, Asuka is just in outfit with Rei

Oh!

btw: With Easter Tommorrow we need Bunny Girls!

That’ll do.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    tsk tsk: looks like Miss Rei was cheating at cards there.
    Even for Shinji that’s totally pathetic loosing to a penguin like that.
    Nobuyuki
    Participant
    He’s not so smart, Shinji’s beaten him three games out of five.
    Yeah but that means he still won 2 out of 5. I think Rei could’ve had a sweep against Pen Pen.
    Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    I see that they got Maya in place of gendo1 along with the Usual Suspects(tm). 😆 8-)
    soawesome1 iloveit1

I’d get them even though I don’t have a cell phone.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Eva petit Evangelion@school gendo figure

http://s1.tsuki-board.net/pics/figure/big/110084.jpg?t=1387805402" />

Almael
    Cute!

and looks a bit like candy. *yummy*

I don’t know it just makes gendo1 look even weirder than usual.
    iloveit1 soawesome1

Are the top right illustrations supposed to be Rei in a more gothic loli look?

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    cool illustration I found

http://i.imgur.com/5b6H6oy.jpg" />

iloveit1 iloveit1
    “You May (Not) Jack In.”
    Asuka ftw of course….also Misato and Ritsuko for President and Vice President just ’cause

Rei and Asuka are too young.

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    Finally saw Eva 3.33 or as I like to call it: Shinji-Wakes-Up-And-Goes-Batshit-Insane-After-Finding-Out-He-Caused-

The Third-Impact-And -Nearly-Causes-The-Fourth-While-Misato-Is-Totally-Awesome-And-Ritsuko-Gets-A-Babedelcious-

Haircut-And-Asuka-Is-Even-More-Tsundere-Than-Ever! :-P :-P

3.33 left some unanswered questions especially regarding how many NERV personnel are left and how many joined up

when Misato and Ritsuko formed WILLE.

It seems that all the main personnel wound up with WILLE so the question is who is maintaining the EVAs for NERV and

keeping them running?

• Viewing 453 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.