101 Secrets : Could we acknowledge the existing translation?

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Translation Zone 101 Secrets : Could we acknowledge the existing translation?

• This topic is empty.
    Hey !

Among the pile of untranslated stuff, a few things stands out, one of them is “Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki 101 Secrets”. For those who don’t know, it’s basically a novel in a fake interview form, who explains a shit load of stuff about OVA1 and 2, from Kajishima’s point of view.

While neither an official translation nor a complete fan-scanlation exist, a old fan-translated-transcription does exist and is flagged as a “Summary”.

My point is : We can trust this translation.

But you’re gonna say “Meh, that’s just a mere sum-up skipping too much things to be relevant in any discussion of any kind, just like the Shin Tenchi novels rageblow1 “.

I answer No, I think it is different. My first argument would be that it is a story-less novel, therefore there’s little room for self-interpretation. Secondly, from the 2 scans (quite a sample I know) I translated myself (here and there ) , the output is quite the same. Thridly I doubt that anyone would throw him/herself into a full translation from scratch, knowing that this “summary” exist.

My little project for this thread would be to create a home for anyone interested in the novel, who wants more infos on a specific question, or has doubt on the existing translation. I (or anyone) could provide the scan about the specific question, and deliver more infos if more infos are available.

Note : I don’t know about you guys, but my scans are in awesome quality (Around 2500*4150 pixels, seriously it’s amazing). It makes it really fast to rip, and easy to translate.

In my very personal opinion, I think (with noproof of course) that there are no mistake in the “summary”, and that anyone can reference it as a legit source. But that’s only me that’s why I make this thread.

The actual summary : https://archive.is/4iKRB” class=”bbcode_url”>https://archive.is/4iKRB

I didn’t read it entirely yet, so I guess I may not be the only one.

If anyone wants the scans, well pm me and I shall send a direct download link.

The scans are also on g.e-hentai, in lower quality (Still pretty good). Just search : “Kajishima 101”

This thread could also turn into a general “101 Secrets Thread”.

Who is interest in it ?

Who thinks that the existing summary-translation is bullshit and should be wiped out from the face of the earth ?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      I wouldn’t call it bullshit, but it can’t be verified like anything else.

Whether or not it’s there, I’d do your own from scratch.

A “reference” is different from a “source.”

Shounenbat
      Participant
      Finally got the scans, so I’m working on a translation right now. I have no clue when I’ll be done, as I’m really busy right now. Work is keeping me on my toes, and I’m working on starting a new website geared towards teaching people (especially Tenchi Muyo fans) Japanese, and the planning for it is eating away at the clock.

I’ll probably upload my translation chapter by chapter instead of waiting until the entire thing is complete and totally proofread for accuracy and, well, spelling and all that jazz.

In the end, I think reading the thing instead of a summarizing it is a better option. Just glancing through it without taking the time to read much of it is interesting, especially the question regarding how the characters speak Japanese and if they have their own languages. The language nut in me went “Squee!”

ChaudSept
      Such passion soawesome1

Obviously, knowing that you have the japanese knowledge, you will work way faster than me, or anyone else like me. Nevertheless, if you find it easier to work with rip text instead of scans + dictionary, just say the word I’ll do it for you. Legit ! (The quality is so high, it’s like super easy)

Also I don’t know how far you want to go, but doing a scanlation by photoshoping your text into the raw scans could be the ultimate goal.. No fear woooo1 .

Anyway as a jap-speaker, you are a gold nugget in the fandom.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Shounenbat wrote:

I’m working on starting a new website geared towards teaching people (especially Tenchi Muyo fans) Japanese

cool, we have a Japanese anime fan making a Japanese learning website for other anime fans, awesome.

Although some people have trouble learning new language so it will take some time to soak in, especially kanji.

But those that can learn are the new recruits for the translation crew.

Shounenbat
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Shounenbat wrote:

I’m working on starting a new website geared towards teaching people (especially Tenchi Muyo fans) Japanese

Although some people have trouble learning new language so it will take some time to soak in, especially kanji.

But those that can learn are the new recruits for the translation crew.

Bold by me.

Yeah, but I have some great supplemental material that will make picking up the language a bit easier. Lang-8, for one, and also iTalki. For kanji, WaniKani is an amazing resource. On the spendy side, unfortunately, but very, very good from what I’ve seen of it so far.

Anki is free, and I’m making a ton of flashcards for it using both audio and text from Tenchi material, as well as other anime, too.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.