2015 & Beyond: The Future of Tenchi Muyo! (?)

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Worship / Collection / Theory threads 2015 & Beyond: The Future of Tenchi Muyo! (?)

• This topic is empty.
    none
    Many of you have likely been speculating about the current affairs of the Tenchi Muyo! franchise. As of yet, there is still no official word from the franchise’s parent company AIC (the production company that basically went belly-up not so long ago). But despite this, we–as in we the general fandom, we as fans, and also those of us in administration–have known of some telltale hints for some time regarding the current state of affairs and the likely future of the series.

The sources of these telltale signs are both major creative forces behind various incarnations of TM!, and are on ‘both sides of the aisle’ (if you will): Hiroshi Negishi and Masaki Kajishima.

First, courtesy of our own superman Crazed, here are a few of Negishi’s recent tweets regarding his future plans, involvement with AIC, and the future of TM!:

(Post-TMiL Screening)

“The doubleheader of Ai Tenchi Muyo! & Tenchi Muyo! in Love went very well. After watching all of the works, it’s like the fans got a shot in the arm. However, the next Tenchi Muyo! that I want to watch is Mr. Kajishima’s. Everyone, please be excited. The Tenchi Muyo! carnival will still continue!”

As Negishi has always done in the past, he is acting professionally and tactfully by attempting to promote enthusiasm for “the carnival” (i.e. Tenchi at large) even though the next installment down the pike is not his show. Whether this is just to be professional and save face, or he is genuinely excited for more of Kajishima’s work is up for some debate, perhaps, but given the fact that he previously wanted to meet Kajishima in-person because he admired him for his role in creating Tenchi lends credence to the latter.

Original tweet here.

He also mentions he will be moving on with his own future projects via his own production company Zero-G (info on that here), meaning not Tenchi for the forseeable future. He mentions teaming up with one Mr. Akahori, whom we can reasonably assume is Satoru Akahori due to the two’s shared past on projects such as Tekkaman Blade.

“Well, I’m heading off to bed now as it is slowly approaching midnight. Even though I’m tired, a big event occured today. Tenchi Muyo‘s revival! Now that this particular project of mine is done it’s time for me to move onto my next project. For my next project, I am teaming up with Mr. Akahori. “

Original tweet here.

The impetus for this change in priorities is anyone’s guess: was he used as a patsy by AIC to garner interest in the Tenchi franchise only to be assigned the impossible task of working with five-minute increments (instead of his previous desire for TMiL 3) and then, if by some miracle was able to pull it off (which he and Ai did: that is to say, revive interest in the franchise), was meant to be tossed aside to serve as a foothold for Kajishima’s proposals? Or has the recent interest in reboots in general lately given Negishi hope for reviving another aged series such as Tekkaman Blade? Having his own company to fall back on, has Negishi done as Hayashi before him and more or less washed his hands of the Tenchi name? Is he displeased or at least at odds with the direction AIC as a company is taking and has decided to cut his losses and move on? All of this is speculation, but as per Negishi’s own words, the fact stands that he intends to definitively cut ties with AIC (on amicable terms).

“My involvement with AIC will end following the next event. The way that the five minute anime was released was not the best… especially since it seemend to have been stimulated best through the smartphone media. Sazae-san has been planning a new broadcast format of 3 titles at seven minutes. It is gradually being shifted from its broadcast format to this new form of delivery.”

Original tweet here.

Now, as for Kajishima’s side: you’ve likely already seen the awesome scans of 15.03 Crazed put up recently here.

And apologies, we haven’t translated and localized the entirety of Old Man Kaji’s afterword (let’s just say the desire isn’t exactly there at the moment lol), but here’s the key part along with a simple breakdown:

“As of now, the planning for the Tenchi Muyo OVA is under way. How should I put this… I have been given informal consent to leak this information to you here, however, this is not the official announcement. As for the subject matter, I am going for a ‘Night Before the Carnival’ type feeling. Even though the decision has been made, there are still many hurdles left to overcome…….”

The reason we didn’t put this out sooner was twofold: one, dispirited translators (hard to fathom why the company that went bankrupt would go crawling back to one of their biggest liabilities in recent history); and two, hearing this from Kajishima, you can’t blame us for taking it with a pillar or two of salt. This is the same man who for years has said ‘AIC’s not letting me have my way,’ (alluding to the fact that OVA 4 would not be happening) and lest we forget ‘hey fans, lied about Tenchi’s mother lol’ so like him or don’t, worship him or loathe him, he’s a troll to his fan base through and through, so forgive us if we thought it was another case of ‘the boy who cried OVA 4.’

As for the breakdown? Well, you can definitely look it up with your own eyes, but basically here’s the highlights:

1) Noike is now a full-fledged member of the household (rolls eyes).

2) Noike helps Sasami cook (because she clearly couldn’t do it on her own; sarcasm aside, okay fine, give her some assistance she certainly deserves it).

3) Ryoko used to not be okay with Noike, because she interfered with the group dynamics…but now she’s decidedly okay with it…because reasons….

So there you have it, folks: there’s the facts as they stand right now. Negishi’s out, Kajishima’s in, and AIC’s repeating decisions they made years ago verbatim. Has anyone learned from their past mistakes, or is history doomed to repeat itself? Will the finished product be Kajishima’s – IF – or will it be reworked to actually be marketable? Will they go with high-end OVA budgets of yesteryear, or opt for adapting to the times? Two things are certain as of this moment, and I will separate them into categories of objectivity and subjectivity:

1) Objectively speaking, in the end if OVA 4 gets off the ground those of us involved in the Tenchicast podcasts will be proven right: Ai Tenchi Muyo! opened the doors for more Tenchi to be made. Period. It’s a great irony to those who spurned it from the onset for not being “canon” or any other number of superfluous criteria, and those hoping for more OVA story-line should be grateful to say the least (don’t worry though, I won’t hold my breath).

2) Subjectively speaking, I personally am less than thrilled about the purported direction of the franchise to say the least: commercially, it doesn’t make sense. Economic reasons aside, it should be no mystery to anyone by now that as a fan I am no lover of Kajishima’s work, especially in recent times; so the idea of him being handed the reigns to definitively drive the franchise off a cliff yet again and probably bury it once and for all makes me cringe. I’ve eaten crow before (not literally, but hey survival mode that’s a different ballgame), and I’ll do it again if I must: I’ll also take a dosage of my own medicine, and say that should OVA 4 do well it will only be a good thing for the franchise as a whole and open yet more doors for more creators and their visions to shine through on a multi-facted work that could paradoxically use a return to its roots and a reboot proper (a diverse need which one miserly old man cannot fulfill alone).

In summary, am I a bit miffed that the man who shoehorned Sasami’s mother into being an antagonist, created the mother of all Mary Sue’s to trump the established cast, made Kagato a member of the harem, relegated the strong female characters like Ryoko and Ayeka to ancillary positions under a hegemonic patriarchy, had Sasami go through menstruation to make her a viable candidate for the harem, had Sasami present in the room to witness Tenchi and Noike consummating their arranged marriage, and had “Tenchi-Kami” sire children with every female member of the household–including our favorite cabbit mascot Ryo-Ohki–as though it were a polygamist compound all while his half brother is in a completely separate yet annoyingly attached-at-the-hip alternate world earning not only his own harem of young women but a ‘super harem’ of all their mothers so they can all have sex to contribute to the “Seikishi breeding program” is not only getting more of what he wants but at the same time will likely be lauded for it?

………..

Maybe…you know, just a bit. aquateencarl1

A lot more to wait and see on, but my final words to you are this: support any or all branches of TM! you want, it’s your prerogative; but if you’re jumping up and down with enthusiasm for a Kajishima-fueled continuation of the OVA, then know what (and whom) you’re supporting. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

Viewing 64 reply threads
  • Replies
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

A lot more to wait and see on, but my final words to you are this: support any or all branches of TM! you want, it’s your prerogative; but if you’re jumping up and down with enthusiasm for a Kajishima-fueled continuation of the OVA, then know what (and whom) you’re supporting. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I think at this point any new Tenchi content, whether liked or hate will be accepted in the coming future. We talk of new stuff for Tenchi. Any new, reboot or continuations will have eager watchers, because waiting for probable soon to be made content is better than waiting for novels and other content that has never been translated that just sitting there for the past decade. I don’t want to make it sound like that but it’s true, I waited more eagerly for Ai when it was first mentioned, than the other novels to be translated.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/284/922/0e3.png" />

Unlike the cartoon I am not ok with this. I’d rather eat Ryoko’s cooking then suffer through having to watch Tenchi be made into a joke,which it would be if any of the suggestions/rumors

listed ever came true.

My feeling can be summed up thusly: sakuyafinger1

ChaudSept
      So that’s what you called “putting up to speed” huh ? Fine with me mmmm1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Whether this is just to be professional and save face, or he is genuinely excited for more of Kajishima’s work is up for some debate, perhaps, but given the fact that he previously wanted to meet Kajishima in-person because he admired him for his role in creating Tenchi lends credence to the latter.

My guess would be simply that he loves TM! to death, and will never in his right mind spitt on anything Tenchi related that didn’t came out. (Or spitt on anything at all). After all, in a tweet I believe he said after the event that “tears were behind the stage”. Believe me or not, I don’t want to dig the tweet, i’m no superman qt1 .

Either he’s acting (I don’t think so), or he is really excited to see one of his baby growning up, whoever with.

Meanwhile, a few months earlier, Kajishima : “Huh, the animation coming out next autumn has nothing to do with me, meh, huh”. Source : don’t remember, a doujin maybe, sue me.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

So there you have it, folks: there’s the facts as they stand right now. Negishi’s out, Kajishima’s in

Before I saw this post, I’ve never realized that it was this clear. It kinda breaks my heart. Where is the TMiL3 project ? Where is the TMiL1 re-relaease with a new ending.

Never gonna happen ? Snif snif …

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

The impetus for this change in priorities is anyone’s guess: was he used as a patsy by AIC to garner interest in the Tenchi franchise only to be assigned the impossible task of working with five-minute increments (instead of his previous desire for TMiL 3) and then, if by some miracle was able to pull it off (which he and Ai did: that is to say, revive interest in the franchise)

With a few steps back, and it become kinda obvious that Ai was a advert serie for both Takahashi City and the carnival.

I too, now laugh when I ear that Ai Tenchi Muyo! killed the franchise. It was the damn Tenchi Muyo! Revival Project ! Too bad Negishi isn’t in it anymore.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

1) Noike is now a full-fledged member of the household (rolls eyes).

2) Noike helps Sasami cook (because she clearly couldn’t do it on her own; sarcasm aside, okay fine, give her some assistance she certainly deserves it).

3) Ryoko used to not be okay with Noike, because she interfered with the group dynamics…but now she’s decidedly okay with it…because reasons….

Well.. As much as I don’t like Noike, don’t you think it’s kinda pointless to flame her now ? She is now settled thanks to ova3, it was kinda obvious that she was sticking around :|

I believe those 3 lines of yours came from the rest of the after word (the text whom we don’t see the begining), because it matches with what I have poorly translated. So yeah, Ryoko accepting Noike scares me. But Noike helping, cooking, cleaning, doesn’t.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Objectively speaking, in the end if OVA 4 gets off the ground those of us involved in the Tenchicast podcasts will be proven right: Ai Tenchi Muyo! opened the doors for more Tenchi to be made. Period. It’s a great irony to those who spurned it from the onset for not being “canon” or any other number of superfluous criteria, and those hoping for more OVA story-line should be grateful to say the least (don’t worry though, I won’t hold my breath).

I like that point of view :).

If I may add something, you didn’t talk about one of Kajishima’s point, and I consider it quite interesting. :

“I’m gonna go with a “Night Before Carnival type feeling”” ! We can’t say that Ryoko and Ayeka were lazzy in that, where they ? nee ? Maybe we won’t have a Marie-sue Ryoko, who knows …

Even though ova2 is very slice of life-ish, and I don’t like that rageblow1

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

In summary, am I a bit miffed that the man who shoehorned Sasami’s mother into being an antagonist, created the mother of all Mary Sue’s to trump the established cast, made Kagato a member of the harem, relegated the strong female characters like Ryoko and Ayeka to ancillary positions under a hegemonic patriarchy, had Sasami go through menstruation to make her a viable candidate for the harem, had Sasami present in the room to witness Tenchi and Noike consummating their arranged marriage, and had “Tenchi-Kami” sire children with every female member of the household–including our favorite cabbit mascot Ryo-Ohki–as though it were a polygamist compound all while his half brother is in a completely separate yet annoyingly attached-at-the-hip alternate world earning not only his own harem of young women but a ‘super harem’ of all their mothers so they can all have sex to contribute to the “Seikishi breeding program” is not only getting more of what he wants but at the same time will likely be lauded for it?

God damnit Wwwhhoo, stop playing with the UV lamp ! I forgot my sunscreen :(

I’m gonna play naïve for that one. Of course, just like you, I’m disgusted by everything you said (Kajishima’s actions) … Wait ! Did I said of course ? Hell no it’s not obvious that I am.

I’ve seen people said that they’d “like to see ova4 like ova1 […so far, me too..], a new girl at each episode !” Kiyofacepalm1

Whitout being judgmental with anyone opinions, that make me think that ova4 will be an economic success anyway.

To conclude.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

The reason we didn’t put this out sooner was twofold: one, dispirited translators (hard to fathom why the company that went bankrupt would go crawling back to one of their biggest liabilities in recent history); and two, hearing this from Kajishima, you can’t blame us for taking it with a pillar or two of salt. This is the same man who for years has said ‘AIC’s not letting me have my way,’ (alluding to the fact that OVA 4 would not be happening) and lest we forget ‘hey fans, lied about Tenchi’s mother lol’ so like him or don’t, worship him or loathe him, he’s a troll to his fan base through and through, so forgive us if we thought it was another case of ‘the boy who cried OVA 4.’

Come on guys ! You’re always doing an amazing work ! Even though most of you are Universe-fan, just try to be naïve like me, and be excited for anything Tenchi related !!

What happens in a doujin, stays in a doujin…No ? Meh, Ok…

This lead me to my second conclusion :

Ukinojo92 wrote:

I don’t want to make it sound like that but it’s true, I waited more eagerly for Ai when it was first mentioned, than the other novels to be translated.

To maintain the scale balanced, I’ve got to comment that !

From this point, the fandom is so old, every question had already been answered, or at least asked. Every new thing is a new thing to talk about ! Eternal Memory, Shin’s novel..

Gosh I would sacrifice Ai for Hasegawa’s novels (sue me).

I’m currently at least equally excited for both ova4 and any new fan-translated stuff.

Final word : I’d gotta say that even though I often look up to twitter to find some infos myself, I didn’t get in any way close to Crazed’s quality of Translation. Good job man !

Shounenbat
      Participant
      I want to hold off on judgement, but I’m just a little worried about this. I think a lot of it is because, while I think Kajishima is excellent at world-building and has done a fine job in the past, I don’t feel that he can write characters all that well. He really needs other people on his team to flesh out the characters, as they get too simplified under his sole command. It makes Tenchi feel more like a cheap, knock-off harem anime than the series that I always saw it as: namely, a wonderful story with harem aspects that I could overlook because the characters were so rich.

Clearly, the Tenchi series is trying to make a comeback. There’s a new RPG game coming out (sounds like a dating game and is called Tenchi Muyo! Bride Profusion!), Ai! Tenchi Muyo has aired, there was talk of more Universe stuff, and now this. Perhaps any amount of successful Tenchi will get us new shows.

Some of it will probably not meet the fandom’s standards, but surely some of it will. I mean, you’d have to try really hard to make nothing but duds from here on out!

As for Noike, I dislike her being part of the household, but this is just because I can’t see how the character would fit in. When we got Mihoshi and Washu, they fit perfectly. They had a role to fulfill in the house and manage to blend into the general weirdness with ease. Noike doesn’t do this. We’ve already got the “sane” peace-maker character who holds the household together in Sasami, so we really don’t need Noike to function as a more mature Sasami. She has no place where she easily fits in, and since we already have Aeka, Sasami, and, you could argue, Yosho to represent Jurai and its interests, we still don’t need Noike. I just can’t see how she adds to the dynamic.

If anything, she takes away from it! As I said, she seems to take over Sasami’s role in the group, and also seems to take over Ryoko’s at times as well. I think the conversation at the end of OAV 3 regarding Tenchi’s mother should have been reserved for Ryoko, who has been there from the beginning in Tenchi’s life, rather than Noike, who still feels like a political pawn being forced into the cast.

Perhaps there’s a disconnect between American fans and Japanese fans, since I know that the Japanese tend to view the characters somewhat differently than Americans just because of differences in values, so maybe Noike is more accepted there (I haven’t actually asked about it yet)? Maybe we’ll grow to like Noike more if she’s written as a more normal character instead of as a Super Woman who absorbs all the best traits of the established cast and is only made vulnerable by her back story.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Shounenbat wrote:

As for Noike, I dislike her being part of the household, but this is just because I can’t see how the character would fit in.

I think what Tenchi would need to have is characters that actually “work” for their place. Kiyone worked for her place by putting up with Mihoshi, dealing with the family and actually working. Sasami works for her place by being the crazy glue: the stable part of the family that has to deal with the family members while growing up. Even the Ai character with very short time for development worked for their places and became characters we enjoy.

Noike, to me, was the parent that was put in the middle of everything. She made everything basically hers without really much development or work put into it. I think that people want to see in Tenchi in the future is to see the reckless irrational fun without “Adults”. We want to see the fun of common sense thrown out and embrace the unreal adventures that Tenchi made for everyone.

Anonymous

Shounenbat wrote:

Some of it will probably not meet the fandom’s standards, but surely some of it will. I mean, you’d have to try really hard to make nothing but duds from here on out![

As much as I admire your optimism Shounenbat, I decided to make some graphs

http://www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Giraffe-Tongue-Orchestra.jpg" />

eeehmmm “Graphs”

of the Tenchi series because I want to emphasize a few very important details to some people who may share your enthusiasm for OVA4 and or any future projects from now on.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/90s%20Tenchi_zpseuxu8uwz.png" />

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/00s%20Tenchi_zpsgjvzhxup.png" />

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/10s%20Tenchi_zpssydhpw7c.png" />

These are the “Main” Tenchi series from the last 20 years and the decades they are in.

There are 3 types of Tenchi fans

The “Original” Tenchi fans, who came in during the 90’s

There’s the “Toonami” generation, who came in during 2000 – 2002

And the “Post Toonami” (IE Harem) fans

The first 2 sets of fans make up the vast majority of Tenchi fans, they were born and raised on Space Adventure, Crazy Antics and Cute Cabbits.

The last set mentioned, came in primarily through the internet, are the minority, and are your proto-typical internet anime fan.

The reason I make this point is because the 2 sets of fans are radically different and radically disproportionate to one another in size and taste.

I’ve found, that the harem fan, can look back at the original 90’s Tenchi and kind of get into it, and some cases even like it, because it resembles kinda sorta what they are watching.

The original and Toonami generation fans, are mortified by what is coming out.

And what is coming out now is what is going to come out for whatever the foreseeable future is.

You say ” They’d have to try really hard to make duds from here on out”, They’ve been making duds for the last 10 years. It’s been a generation, there are more people who said that they “were” Tenchi fans, then there are active Tenchi fans now, and the phraseology is all over the place, but the important thing is they’re not here and they aren’t waiting anymore.

Hiroshi Negishi didn’t recently leave AIC and its partners because Tenchi was heading in the right direction, Negishi leaving is symbolic of the fact that this show has no hope at ever being made for “Tenchi” fans ever again.

The “creative” mind behind OVA4 aka Masaki Kajishima, said in the first paragraph of his latest doujin, that “Everyone loves Noike now, and Ryoko finally accepts her”

Tenchi Muyo is dead.

A show with the “Tenchi Muyo!” name will continue to be made in some capacity until AIC or Kajishima or both die and or new blood can come in and play with it and make their own story and timeline with Tenchi.

But until that point comes, every show is going to be OVA3, again, and again, and again.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

The original and Toonami generation fans, are mortified by what is coming out.

Not everyone, of course.

segaman4
      Oh boy not noike. But thats kajishima for you. I really hope its an impro ment from the 3rd one.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

segaman4 wrote:

Oh boy not noike. But thats kajishima for you. I really hope its an impro ment from the 3rd one.

Considering it is Kajishima, the same one that is making the doujins of War on Geminar and the original gang, more than likely: No. Every time, every time that I get excited for something new by Kajishima, like the doujins, I hope it is like a new continuity, reboot, or retcon. But it never happens and continues to build on the same continuity that everyone mostly do not like anymore.

Someone entirely new, preferably a fan, director would have to make a new take on the Tenchi story. Hiroshi and Okuda, the few people that actually had good stories of the Tenchi franchise are gone. It is a risk to bring in someone new, as they could make Tenchi into a modern fanservice generic harem show, that is the norm now, mostly. But one guarantee that we can rest on, no one is going to make a storyline where the guy is doing everyone’s mom rageblow1 .

If or when a new story is made, the everyone is going to pick at it regardless, so the only thing we can hope for is that the story is palpable enough to endure the migraines of watching new Tenchi stuff.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

[…] so the only thing we can hope for is that the story is palpable enough to endure the migraines of watching new Tenchi stuff.

In my humble opinion, this is the most astute point you have ever made, good sir; it concisely sums up my complicated feelings on the matter.

You’re absolutely right, and that’s the problem for me personally: the ONLY thing we can HOPE for is that it’s palpable enough TO ENDURE…ever since OVA 3 I’d been coasting on hope. Hope was the only thing that kept many of us going, and it’s the reason this forum ever existed in the first place. After Ai became a reality–concrete fruit of our labors, it seemed–I genuinely thought the wheels were in motion for this rig called Tenchi Muyo fandom to get back on a track I could identify with and actually support: but as it stands now, apparently I was wrong. Negishi surprised me, AIC flat-out let me down, and Kajishima stayed in-character to continue diving further down whatever rabbit hole it is he’s created for himself. I formally renounced my interest or involvement with Masaki Kajishima’s vision after I first saw ‘Cabbit-patch kids’ (protagonist literally screws the beloved animal mascot and has hybrid offspring…yeeeah okay, if you’re having trouble noticing a crazy old man getting crazier after that, God help you)…I just didn’t think it would end with me having to turn away from the main attraction of future Tenchi animations but c’est la vie.

After 10+ years of dark ages, I’m sorry to say that hope alone is not enough for me anymore; as a certain blockbuster film once put it, “sometimes people need to have their faith rewarded.” When the only solution is to stick around for another 10+ years and “endure” (no, not enjoy, not revel in, not even tolerate at this point, literally “endure” as though it were some sort of trial) and “hope” (not rely on any facts, not looking at a light at the end of the metaphorical tunnel, just wish and click those heels together three times ), well…that’s when priorities get called into question. I’ve told several good friends over the years in the context of participating with this very forum, various projects, etc. that “it’s a fandom, it’s just for fun: and if it’s not fun, then why do it at all?” and now that I’m confronted with taking my own proverbial medicine, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Tenchi used to be fun for me, but miracles notwithstanding to vastly improve the OVA continuity and/or get Old Man Kaji outside in the 21st century to get some fresh air, it’s not going to be anymore. I’ll still be around (as will Tenchiforum, of course), and I’m always down for reminiscing about a title that’s been so near and dear to me for so many years…but much like El-Hazard, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, or any other nineties staple I fondly remember, Tenchi will be just that: a fond memory. And you know what? That’s okay. I’m proud of the community I’ve helped create and am happy to have been a part of it, and I’m sincerely thankful to all the people I’ve met along the way. The recent craziness of this personal emotional roller coaster has made me remember that through all these years it’s not been Tenchi that’s kept me afloat and optimistic: it’s been YOU, reading this now or in the future–you who’ve been in casts with me, or posted in your favorite threads, or stayed up late chatting in mumble, or have otherwise opened up and shared your own reasons for why Tenchi has been so special to you–that has made this all worthwhile. It’s actually kinda funny Tenchi’s lasted as long as it has…kind of a fluke, really, and I guess expecting it to come back with even an ounce of its former glory was asking for the moon.

But I’ve got Ai, I’ve got my memories, and I’ve got my friends…if I gotta’ give up “enduring” something that I don’t even want to associate myself with anymore in exchange, well…that’s a steal.

Didn’t expect to get so sentimental at the end there, but anyway, thanks everyone! We’ll see you around!

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/cowboybebopbang_zpskhypdlnm.gif" />

Bang!

– Your Friendly Neighborhood Who

Shounenbat
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

Shounenbat wrote:

Some of it will probably not meet the fandom’s standards, but surely some of it will. I mean, you’d have to try really hard to make nothing but duds from here on out![

You say ” They’d have to try really hard to make duds from here on out”, They’ve been making duds for the last 10 years. It’s been a generation, there are more people who said that they “were” Tenchi fans, then there are active Tenchi fans now, and the phraseology is all over the place, but the important thing is they’re not here and they aren’t waiting anymore.

Hiroshi Negishi didn’t recently leave AIC and its partners because Tenchi was heading in the right direction, Negishi leaving is symbolic of the fact that this show has no hope at ever being made for “Tenchi” fans ever again.

The “creative” mind behind OVA4 aka Masaki Kajishima, said in the first paragraph of his latest doujin, that “Everyone loves Noike now, and Ryoko finally accepts her”

Tenchi Muyo is dead.

A show with the “Tenchi Muyo!” name will continue to be made in some capacity until AIC or Kajishima or both die and or new blood can come in and play with it and make their own story and timeline with Tenchi.

But until that point comes, every show is going to be OVA3, again, and again, and again.

…You just peed on all my optimism… (Sobs silently in a corner)

In all seriousness, you’re probably right, as much as I hate to admit it. Kajishima really, really needs someone to reign him in. Left to his own devices, he manages to to turn everything he touches into a bizarre sexual fantasy of his, which really sucks.

My vote probably doesn’t count, but instead of taking the OAV continuity on the fast-track to death, I would, personally speaking, like to see the manga animated. Something along those lines would be a great way to revive the series.

susano
      I strongly do believe that there is going to be a sequel of the TENCHI MUYO: RYO-OHKI OVA series. The tentative title of the sequel is TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION. While a sequel to RYO-OHKI will help the franchise, I am starting to like the ideal of a new continuity. Basically, the new continuity is a spinoff like TENCHI: UNIVERSE and TENCHI IN TOKYO .

I have some ideals for a new continuity. Unfortunately. all of them are strictly fanfiction. I do like the ideal of a new continuity and a sequel for the RYO-OHKI series. AI : TENCHI MUYO had turn out to be a honest attempt. It should have been anime series. Yet, the series had given the franchise a fifth continuity. The movie TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE- DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS[/b] is a part of the fourth continuity.

tuxedodouche

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Probably will not see anything in the near 2-4 year future any time soon. Ai is taking it’s run this year and is going to take it’s soak up it’s time. Even if Kajishima announces something new being made, it’s going to take awhile because it’s Kajishima. Anything that he makes is according to his mind and when it’s made fast, that means he did half-*** job with it like OVA 3 and GXP.

Ultimately, if Kajishima is still wanting to do Tenchi for the rest of his life, then that is how it will be. What he wants to make to satisfy to his mind and what other people want of it and want to cut out to fit them. My Knowledge of what I heard on the podcasts is that Kajishima is only focused on Tenchi storylines and nothing else. There’s nothing new from him, he is trying to make an old dog which he put down do new tricks that no one likes and makes them not want to watch anymore. I know that sounds bad, but to me that is how it is, Kajishima is not letting go of Tenchi and everyone else, like Hiroshi Negishi, did what they could and jumped ship.

The only way for Tenchi to get a chance and possibly be saved from Kajishima is if someone wrestles for it and makes it theirs. Everything is usually judged on appearances, if someone states that it is them doing Tenchi and not Kajishima whatsoever then there will be no association. The other thing would be for said someone to make a story passable enough that gets a “Okay-ish” response. After everything Tenchi has been through, “okay-ish” is at least a good sign of it. Of Course then there is one variable that needs to be taken in to account: most of the new generation has never heard of a 20 year obscure franchise, so the series gets a fresh start by default.

For everyone that is still a fan of Tench, once we hear something, all of us will come and be all over, kinda like the old people that say to the kids that their generation was the best, over and over again. Most likely Kajishima would try and come out when the new series not made by him would be out, and try to introduce his Tenchi. If someone actually sees him do one thing only to stop him: TACKLE HIM.

ChaudSept
      I’m still optimist, even though I understand very well the fears and opinions of anyone here. The stress of watching OVA3 repeating itself over and over again is a very legit and sound sensation. However I base my optimism on one single feeling : I liked War on Geminar.

GXP was bad, OVA3 had many many flaws, but I enjoyed WoG. So is Kajishima’s creative mind always bad ? I would say no. Of course, I’m kinda avoiding the thought of what he did in his doujins, maybe I should not.

However there is something that everybody says, and I don’t understand. And it’s actually a real question I’m asking, because I think my knowledge should be updated.

All people are talking about Kajishima saying he should not be alone on any project. I’m saying he never was.

Are declared as “Director” (maybe K is Co-director with them, don’t know…) :

GXP : Shinichi Watanabe

WoG : Koji Yoshikawa (Kajishima stated as Chief Director)

OVA2 : Kenichi Yatagai, Kenichi Yatani, Koji Masunari

OVA3 : Kenichi Yatagai, Kenichi Yatani

OVA1 (which I’m dead in love with) : Hiroki Hayashi

Dual : Katsuhito Akiyama

My point is : How good will be OVA4 doesn’t rely on only Kajishima. If someone as good as Hayashi is designated, what could go wrong ?

Unless I’m missing a enormous point, I think talking about K the same way we talk about Negishi (who directed Universe and Ai) is a mistake. Kajishima is certainly responsible of the “story”, but he was never alone on the “how it’s delivered” -part.

Dagon123 wrote:

There are 3 types of Tenchi fans

It’s true that the fandom can be split in several categories, yet I hate generality like this one. Mainly because I’m being selfish and I don’t identify myself with it. Y’know, I’ve known OVA1 (and that’s it) all my life (until a few months ago), however I’m way to young to consider myself as a 90′ Tenchi fan.

About the future of Tenchi Muyo! as mentioned in the title of the thread, it might be silly to say it, but I’ll do it anyway.

Quote:

if I gotta’ give up “enduring” something I don’t even want to associate myself with anymore in exchange

Quote:

Tenchi Muyo is dead

Even if I acknowledge that, there is one thing that to me lies in the future of The Carnival, and it is the translations. What I mean is : You guys, american, are so proud of your dubs. WoG dubbed was a rebirth of the franchise.

What is long passed in the Jap’s fandom could be our future. I say “could”, I should say “is”. I’m talking of course about the novels, essentially Hasegawa’s.. (eventually Kajishima’s).

If you are asking me : Where is the future of Tenchi Muyo if not in OVA4 ? I Would say in the damn Novels !

I’m playing the role of an old man repeating himself and talking about crap nobody cares about, but the idea sould be here.

Shounenbat
      Participant
      I had no idea that Kajishima is working solely on Tenchi stuff to the exclusion of any new projects! That’s almost obsessive, and I don’t mean it in a good way.

I’m kind of odd in that I think the OAV series still has life left in it, even after that awful OAV 3! The characters and their current arrangement can still be fun and engaging, but not if it goes in the direction Kajishima wants it to.

ChaudSept brought up the idea of animating the Hasegawa novels, which would be cool, too. I prefer the Okuda manga, but, really, it just goes to show that other authors have taken the OAV premises and creating fun and engaging stories with it.

Basically, there are still directions this show can go besides Tenchi-makes-babies-with-every-woman-who-has-ever-lived.

susano

Shounenbat wrote:

I had no idea that Kajishima is working solely on Tenchi stuff to the exclusion of any new projects! That’s almost obsessive, and I don’t mean it in a good way.

I’m kind of odd in that I think the OAV series still has life left in it, even after that awful OAV 3! The characters and their current arrangement can still be fun and engaging, but not if it goes in the direction Kajishima wants it to.

ChaudSept brought up the idea of animating the Hasegawa novels, which would be cool, too. I prefer the Okuda manga, but, really, it just goes to show that other authors have taken the OAV premises and creating fun and engaging stories with it.

Basically, there are still directions this show can go besides Tenchi-makes-babies-with-every-woman-who-has-ever-lived.

The Okuda Manga and the Hasegawa novels are honest examples of how other persons can do with the Tenchi Franchise. It seems that Masaki Kajishima is focusing only of the Tenchi Franchise. He did contribute to other series such as Dual. All Masaki K. needs to do is to make a minimum amount of contribution to the franchise. At least to a point where any Tenchi series doesn’t become another example of either a medicore or a bad harem series.

I do believe that there should be another attempt to do a new continuity. Tenchi : Universe serves as an example of another continuity. With the advances of technology since the nineteen-nineties, imagine how Tenchi has to figure out what to do about hiding the truth of his unwanted harem. One ideal for a new continuity is focus on Tenchi staying in high school. An example of a high school based harem is the series Nisekoi.

I do believe that there is still a future for Tenchi Muyo. One of the good ways to revive the series is another continuity. All Masaki needs to do is to make sure that the series becomes a fine addition for the Tenchi Franchise.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      http://io9.com/the-7-stages-of-falling-out-of-love-with-your-fandom-1713828711” class=”bbcode_url”>http://io9.com/the-7-stages-of-falling-out-of-love-with-your-fandom-1713828711

I think I know what Carl’s succinct take on Stage 6 would be…

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ooXotLUac[/BBvideo]

😆 😆 😆 😆

aquateencarl1

I’d like to know where they got the pic for Stage 6 from.

Any way perhaps the next series will be a complete reboot and ignore OVA 3 entirely.

ChaudSept
      @ WhhhOOooOo

Falling out of love with that ?

And this ?

What about that one ?

Moshi moshi

Your departure isn’t in the Light Hawk Script gendo1 .

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

ChaudSept wrote:

@ WhhhOOooOo

Falling out of love with that ?

And this ?

What about that one ?

Moshi moshi

Your departure isn’t in the Light Hawk Script gendo1 .

Thanks for the chuckle, Chaud. ^^ v

Alas, sadly it’s precisely because I love Tenchi (or, rather, what it once was) that I gotta’ pull back for a while (or, indefinitely, I don’t know). I’ve “put in my time” so to speak for some five years, and though I don’t regret it and have had some amazing times, it’s also at times been a source of unnecessary headaches and heartbreak.

A part of me–of all of us–would love to keep translating these works, and perhaps someday we (or, heaven forbid, some others help out or pick up the torch) can return to them and they’ll get their due; but as it stands now, the burden of an entire franchise has long been on the shoulders of only a few hardworking, dedicated souls.

Normally a fandom could endure such trials…but when your only reward is seeing your favorite series bastardized beyond recognition (not to mention unintelligible criticism from people who denounce while simultaneously draw from your research, the fruit of your labors, in lieu of actually doing their own legwork), well…there comes a point when as a human with finite time on this earth you just end up asking yourself “what’s actually the point?”

I’ll put up with such grievances to a point for a good cause, but looking ahead I see it may in the end be a lost cause for Tenchi Muyo!: it seeks to be just another run-of-the-mill fetishistic harem romp for the purpose of squeezing a few nickels and dimes out of patronizing otaku, created by an anachronistic male chauvinist for anachronistic male chauvinists. The funny thing is, that’s what this franchise has been since 2002, and I was just too optimistic to, as The Beatles once said, “let it be.”

Anyone who ever really cared about it on the production side–the people who poured their souls into it–left long ago, and it seems even Negishi has realized that it’s a sinking ship that no amount of hard work or wishful thinking can restore. At least we’ll have Ai Tenchi Muyo! for the history books, because despite its minor changes brought on by modernity, it will prove in the end to be a blip in the long, mangled timeline of this franchise as a last holdout ember of a great flame that once burned very, very bright….

I think my favorite part of aforementioned link is as follows:

Entertainment companies, justifiably, don’t worry when the message boards fill up with declarations of, “I’ll never watch this again!” It’s the slow fade that kills them. As long as you’re mad, you’re still interested. I don’t know anyone who has broken off from a series they love because they’re mad. They break off when they’re tired of paying attention to it.

OVA 3, we were mad. OVA 4? We won’t even be around to be mad. There was a mass exodus in the early ’00s, and that was after a ‘surprise attack’ out of left field that no one (oh, I’m sorry, those of us who weren’t one of the scores of persons who bought exclusive doujins) saw coming. But in 2015, it won’t be a mass exodus because hardly anyone is left, and it won’t be a ‘surprise attack’ this time because that little trick can only work once. We can see it coming.

And the MINUTE the quality of the material doesn’t live up to the already overstimulated expectations of the unsuspecting casual fandom at large, combined with the internet-fostered overly cynical nature of the average viewer these days, that’ll be the end of it: viewers accustomed to instant gratification won’t want to wait around for months (again, OVA’s in 2015? Hilarious!) to see another addition of mediocrity. The fat lady will sing, and Tenchi Muyo! will finally be put to rest: it will truly be dead and buried, something that it has desperately needed for far too long (as much as it pains me tremendously to say it).

Enjoy that “slow fade” AIC! All in all, it was a pretty good run for a while.

I’m moving on, and as I’ve already said previously albeit more eloquently, it’s now become a simple “yes” or “no” question, one that you cannot ignore while still calling yourself a fan: you’re either for Tenchi Masaki fucking the beloved mascot, or you’re not. I choose the latter, and if you do too, some friendly advice from your friendly neighborhood Who: pack up the remaining good memories you have left and move on.

But the carnival always comes back to you, my friends…Kajishima won’t live forever.

jgzinv
      Whhoo my friend, I think yourself and as I am aware, the other die hards here, need to pull up a chair to

the bar and hear my council a moment.

Y’all feel dammed and abandoned, much less that there’s no future for Tenchi. To some extent, and your point of view, that may be the case. But I’d encourage you to awaken to a larger truth. One that I’ve come to, having passed through several fandoms that died, some more than others.

That being that in the scheme of things concerning Japan, we didn’t matter to begin with.

If you believed otherwise, you were eating a lie of our own design. That lie is called entitlement.

When you get involved in anything, you bleed for it, you stick your neck out for it, you’d think it’s right that your

voice have some impact on the outcome, or at least be accepted and understood.

The problem though is that we aren’t Japanese, and even native Japanese, have very little input on the outcome of how Tenchi turns out. The power has always lied with AIC and the publishers. The power has been with Kajishima, and his cohorts in industry. You all know this already, but you’ve been seeing with tinted lenses up until now, when you’ve been smacked in the face hard with how powerless we are. It’s hard to stomach.

Tenchi is not ours. That’s the bottom line. To bring up the oft used comparison with Star Wars, we all thought the fandom won a huge victory when it was forked over (at a price) to Disney. But Star Wars isn’t ours still, its Disney’s and largely the people in charge of it there as well. Whether their vision for it matches up with the vocal majority, has yet to be seen, but it’s the same situation. We can rant rave, get depressed, hate others, hate ourselves, feel loss, lose money, time, friends, and more – but it doesn’t change that we’re not in charge.

The assholes out there, and we know their names, have had to feel the same way you are now when AI came out, and it didn’t match their preconceived notions of how Tenchi would look. This has happened before with GXP and OVA 3, much less Universe and Dual. In spite of it, they’re still around, vocal as ever. I’d venture to say it’s because they just enjoy having something to pick at, and ultimately anything can be picked at. Even a lawnmower can chew up more than grass.

But, why are we letting people that have, and will always be asshats, disturb our way of life and interests?

I’ve been preaching this since ChibiPaw, and Ai’s failure was known, and I really truly beg you all to listen. You’re more important than this. You’re able to be above all this.

Love what you love for the sake of love itself, not because you expect something from it or it doesn’t go your way.

What Tenchi OVA 4 or whatever asinine direction Kajishima takes it, is on his head. Maybe it’ll devalue it so much some other company will pick it up from AIC’s corpse. We don’t know and frankly we shouldn’t care! Don’t get so invested that you’re killing yourself and your relationships over it. The future is an open ticket. Anything can happen.

Here’s the good news, and by now you want some right…?

There’s a community of people with similar interests, who like similar things, that think you’re a pretty cool person, and

we want to talk. No one said you have to agree all the time, or be here all the time. That’s fine.

Value your relationships, not the subject matter. Interests come, go, and change with the seasons, but those I’ve had the pleasure of meeting and doing life with remain a little part of me forever. This is one reason I want to get another convention gathering together. I enjoy talking with the TenchiCast crew.

In sports like basketball or baseball, you know we don’t talk years later a lot about the greats as a series, or sets. We talk about the players. Babe Ruth… Magic Johnson… etc. How about here? Is it the same without the star players?

I’d encourage everyone afflicted by this “fed up” bug, to take a step back and look at why you posted at TenchiForum.

Was it because of a name? Was it because we have the most pictures or most files. Was it because we are the most Universe or OVA centric…? or was it because we built the best damn community of people the English speaking world had to date? It’s like Cheers… where everyone knows your name..

I’ll tell you something. I didn’t learn this till after I lost the Dual community over the course of many years. I fought tooth and nail, I wore myself to the bone, I spent all my money, I went to the conventions searching, I tried everything in my power (during the midst of the most horrible time in my life) to desperately shore up a wall that had already fallen before I even got involved. I was blinded by my self inflicted delusion that I was at fault, and that with more content, with more everything, surely the golden age would return if I held the torch up long enough.

It doesn’t work that way. It never works that way. Communities are built, run, and function because people are there. The quality of those people make the difference. What is accomplished in those communities is due to the strength and character of their people.

Kajishima has no power here, unless you let him influence your mind and mouth (er.. fingers). It’s all about how you choose to be affected or not affected. The power… is.. yours! (Captain Planet reference for you youngins).

This is getting long in the tooth, so I’ll leave it at this. I love you guys (totally in a non homo way, considering recent events) so if you have to leave, don’t let it be under these angry pretenses. If you can separate yourselves from this symbiotic pattern of self inflicting wounds of the fandom…. and just step back and enjoy what parts of it you do like, then I think you’ll find the world is a bigger place with more freedom. You can approach any anime, or series, and take it for what it is, rather than what you expect of it. You don’t have to be chained down. I personally believe = anime is meant to be fun, and a way to experience new things we can’t see in live action or film.

So the carnival is still going on. It’s a place called tenchiforumsign .

There’s still people happy to see you when you show up to the festival, to play a few games and eat some stall food.

Signed JGZ

-Your friend, hoping to knock a little sense into y’all. 😉

(and yeah, I had Love Song ga Kikoeru on repeat when I wrote the letter, screw OVA 3 :P )

Nobuyuki
      Participant

JGZinv wrote:

Love what you love for the sake of love itself, not because you expect something from it or it doesn’t go your way.

anime is meant to be fun

^ These.

The rest of your advice is good, too, Z-man. https://community.nodebb.org/plugins/nodebb-plugin-emoji-extended/images/thumbsup.png" />

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Tenchi content comes in, opinions put out, the one thing that is constant, Tenchi after all these years is almost impossible to forget. There is going to be a content whether finally translated novels and doujins, or new Tenchi series, no can is going to forget. Negishi didn’t, and he made an alternate ending to In Love, the city of Takahashi didn’t and we got Ai, we didn’t and we’re still talking about it. We are going to get new stuff and talk about or not, but we are here and doing what we are doing when we first got here.

A hope is that something like crowd funded project like Ai was ( I thnk), happens again and we get to talk about it change the pace again.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      You had to throw in a reference to my favorite sitcom… dawohki1

I’ve never stopped loving this community, and I never will. My absence, which has been as much due to my own personal circumstances as my… distaste for the state of affairs across the Pacific, has been hard felt on my end. It is not my desire or intention to leave anyone twisting in the wind, and I will do my best to engage more wherever and whenever I can.

What I have stopped loving, however, is Tenchi Muyo!™ the franchise, and that’s a big problem. You are absolutely right in saying that nobody outside of AIC “owns” the franchise, and that the non-Japanese fanbase is the last thing on their minds. Where you’re wrong (in my opinion, of course) is in saying that my disappointment comes from a false sense of “entitlement.” It isn’t entitlement to expect the best from content providers. The minute you cease expecting and demanding the best, it becomes a license for mediocrity. I never expected, even in the best of circumstances, that any new Tenchi would live up to the best of what came before. There’s simply too much time past and too many expectations to ever do it justice. What I did expect was for the producers to deliver the best quality content possible given the limits of resources, talent, and interest. Ai Tenchi Muyo! delivered on both counts, while AIC’s latest direction fails both miserably.

I look back on my time in this fandom as one big game of Texas Hold ‘Em. The “chips” were my time, energy, and love, and I went “all in” with every bet. For a while there it looked like we were on a streak that would never end, and the payoff was better than anything else. Sooner or later though, all streaks must come to an end, and one day the dealer turned over the last card and there was nothing there for me. The game goes on for some, but I’ve got no “chips” left to play with. I could linger around the table, feigning interest in a game in which I no longer have any stake, or I can move on over to the bar with the fine liquor and the flashy showgirls. Okay, the metaphor may have gotten away from me a little towards the end badass1

Everything else aside, at the end of the day you are absolutely right about the only thing that actually matters. It was never about that poker game for me, but the fantastic friends I met at the table (Okay, I swear I’m done now :P). I don’t want to lose those relationships or that community. I may be done with Tenchi Muyo!™, but not with TenchiForum. That much is easy, the hard part is the when and how of it all. I simply can’t be as active as I once was, both for the reasons I described above and the unavoidable restraints of beginning a career. Even in my distance I will never be far away though. I will always respond to PMs. My Steam info is public knowledge and I always talk back on there. For my closer friends Facebook and even texting and calling is always a welcome option. Last but not least, I doubt I’ll ever stop actively following my precious threads, as I’ve put far too much effort into those sweet babies to let them go to waste 8-) As for being around and engaging on the forum, I can’t promise much but I’ll do what I can here and there. This franchise never deserved such good people as you, nor any of the other wonderful comrades we’ve had over the years, and for them alone this place is worth sticking around for.

jgzinv
      Maybe you can get KM in a few years for gross misconduct Chuck… badass1

I do get where you’re coming from.

Hopefully in 10 years we’ll all be able to kick back and laugh.

susano
      I have written this reply after the announcement of OVA 4 being made. When it comes to the future, I want to see a sequel to the series TM: WAR ON GEMINAR, and another sequel which I call TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION. TM: TNG’s male protagonist is Tenchi’s and Ayeka’s oldest son Kazuki Masaki. Kazuki was named after his maternal grandfather’s father.

kain2-1 Tenchismile

BrilliantBill
      Participant
      If they’re going to make another series at least make it an action one because Tenchi in Ryo-Ohki had superpowers and I want him to be able to show them off throughout the entire series.
      Almael
      Maybe

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar (aka Isekai no Seikishi Monogatar)

and

Tenchi Muyo! GXP

is more to your liking if you haven’t seen them yet.

BrilliantBill
      Participant
      They don’t feature Tenchi as the main character so I don’t know.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      I’ll second War on Geminar. Tenchi’s overpowered little brother gets sent to another world, gets caught up in national power play, but still has time for school (filled with beautiful girls that love him). ;)
      BrilliantBill
      Participant
      Overpowered?

Explain to me how Kenshi has God-like abilities.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

BrilliantBill wrote:

Overpowered?

Explain to me how Kenshi has God-like abilities.

He is overpowered. Kenshi just does stuff without having really any difficulty.

super strength: Got it

Fight a lot of guys: done

Run for a long time and never tire: easy

Have women automatically fall for him: have them take a number

beat an unstoppable ancient machine with powers coming out of nowhere in less than a minute:

check

Tenchi had to somewhat work to hone his power, Kenshi is just written as perfect do it all guy.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Kenshi is just written as perfect do it all guy.

All the work and training was behind the scenes.

BrilliantBill
      Participant
      Ditto the post above.

And as Tenchi gets older he’ll be more powerful eventually.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      True, Kenshi’s not (yet) literal “God-mod” (Kami-Kenshi?), but he was considerably OP. He encountered a genuine struggle literally once in the entire OVA (once with Babalun: spoiler alert, Babalun tries to mind control Kenshi or something due to his maternal heritage, Kenshi says “no” and breaks free in all of two minutes, Bablun’s like “Inconceivable!” and that’s that).

Though I haven’t been keeping my finger on the pulse as I used to (and admittedly, I’ve been enjoying my quasi-retirement from being the forefront of the TM! fandom for the time being), I recently heard through the metaphorical grape vine (courtesy of the latest GXP novel, if I recall) that Seina and company are basically now “immortal” because (Kami) Tenchi “willed it” more or less, so it’s not a huge leap of logic or faith to consider the possibility that it will happen in due time for Kenshi as well (as long as he stays on his older brother’s good side, I guess).

Tenchi and the girls (and probably dad, sis, grandpa, heck second-grade teacher): immortal

Seina and his harem: immortal

Kenshi and his “harem”(?): immortality application pending approval? Only time will tell!

Attaining godhood: much like luxury boxes at sporting events and cushy job promotions, it’s who ya’ know. 😉

jgzinv
      Until I have a more legit in hand version of that… I can see Tenchi/KM doing the cop out I don’t wanna see anyone suffer, but then that retcons the counteractor problem. Short of Washu, Jurai, or the GP doing enhancements, I don’t see anyone just giving out immortality like party favors.
      BrilliantBill
      Participant
      The immortality thing sounds too nuts. wth2
      jgzinv
      GXP 13 doesn’t go digital till the 18/19th, which granted there’s no way I’m translating it in a day, but maybe the pics will shed some light on stuff. Too, consider that 13 is a rehash of the episodes from the series concerning the battle with Shank, with extra stuff here and there… we can’t be talking about a massive change.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

True, Kenshi’s not (yet) literal “God-mod” (Kami-Kenshi?), but he was considerably OP. He encountered a genuine struggle literally once in the entire OVA (once with Babalun: spoiler alert, Babalun tries to mind control Kenshi or something due to his maternal heritage, Kenshi says “no” and breaks free in all of two minutes, Bablun’s like “Inconceivable!” and that’s that).

Though I haven’t been keeping my finger on the pulse as I used to (and admittedly, I’ve been enjoying my quasi-retirement from being the forefront of the TM! fandom for the time being), I recently heard through the metaphorical grape vine (courtesy of the latest GXP novel, if I recall) that Seina and company are basically now “immortal” because (Kami) Tenchi “willed it” more or less, so it’s not a huge leap of logic or faith to consider the possibility that it will happen in due time for Kenshi as well (as long as he stays on his older brother’s good side, I guess).

Tenchi and the girls (and probably dad, sis, grandpa, heck second-grade teacher): immortal

Seina and his harem: immortal

Kenshi and his “harem”(?): immortality application pending approval? Only time will tell!

Attaining godhood: much like luxury boxes at sporting events and cushy job promotions, it’s who ya’ know. 😉

So umm…who was Tenchi’s second grade teacher, not that that matters. Also does that mean Bablun is actually

Sicilian since we all know how Sicilians love to go around saying ” Inconceivable!” all the time! 😆

Seriously though is there any difference then between Tenchi Moyu and Dragon Ball if everyone is turning out to be immortal? I think that would make it rather boring after awhile.

BrilliantBill
      Participant
      Any other updates from the company? I do hope they come up with something good after all of what they have been through.
      jgzinv
      Nothing obvious. Most of your info is going to come from comiket releases, or twitter notes.

DBS has already discussed aging and death for the saiyans, so I wouldn’t say they are immortal.

It’s a matter of the dragonballs being used so often to prevent unnatural death that’s the issue.

If you had a “get out of death free card” and your friends who were super strong and been with you since childhood died,

you’d probably use it too.

I think you mean DBZ. But I was just pointing out that if you make everyone on Tenchi

or at least the main characters immortal, then there isn’t much of a difference. Though I think you’re right about the whole ‘get out of death free card’ .

Of course the only other thing is nobody on Tenchi has died as often as Krillin.(The dude

must’ve the equivalent of Frequent Flyer Miles by now when it comes to Death.)

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

BrilliantBill wrote:

Any other updates from the company? I do hope they come up with something good after all of what they have been through.

Tenchi is considered kinda dead as a franchise after gxp and ova 3.

BrilliantBill
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

BrilliantBill wrote:

You mean that they’re forgotten basically?

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      More like old and busted.

Kids want the new hotness.

They want nice and shiny things. Ai was supposed be something along that lines.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ai was a thing for fans that are still fans by Hiroshi Negishi, and he is doing his own projects now
      jgzinv

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think you mean DBZ. But I was just pointing out that if you make everyone on Tenchi

or at least the main characters immortal, then there isn’t much of a difference. Though I think you’re right about the whole ‘get out of death free card’ .

Of course the only other thing is nobody on Tenchi has died as often as Krillin.(The dude

must’ve the equivalent of Frequent Flyer Miles by now when it comes to Death.)

DragonBall Super = DBS

Oh? Is that the new version?
      ChaudSept
      ^Need a little update it seems http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-28/dragon-ball-gets-1st-new-tv-anime-in-18-years-in-july/.87608

For your defense, it isn’t broadcast on crunchy or anything like it.

susano
      The fourth OVA series is finally coming out. I had wanted the fourth OVA to be a sequel to the Ryo-Ohki series. It had turn out that OVA 4 is a part of the Ryo-Ohki series. From I notice, OVA 4 may be the final OVA series in the Ryo-Ohki series. There are only four OVA 4 episodes . Still I am still eager to find out what is going to happen in the show.

For a new Tenchi Muyo series, I want the series to be focus on Tenchi’s oldest son. The ideal title for the series is TENCHI MUYO! THE NEXT GENERATION. While TM! TNG is still a harem, my ideal for the series is allowing the female protagonist of the series to be the main protagonist. So far, I am not aware of a harem series as seen from a female’s perspective of a harem. There are the Reverse Harems in which the female protagonist is the main protagonist, and has her own male harem. One of the best example of a Reverse Harem is Fruits Basket. It seems to be a good ideal to have a harem series in which the main protagonist happens to be one of the members of the male protagonist’s harem.

We know that Tenchi is going to married all of his female roommates. We have learn to accept Noike as a member of Tenchi’s harem. Tenchi’s half brother Kenshi has his own harem. Unfortunately, Kenshi seems to have a lot of girls wanting to be a member of his harem.

I think that there is going to be a future for Tenchi Muyo. The Ryo-Ohki series has to come to an end , so there can be a sequel to the series. The time for Tenchi Muyo! The Next Generation for me is around the year 2020. Tokyo Japan is hosting the 2020 Olympics. I want the oldest son of Tenchi to be going to high school somewhere in the Tokyo Prefecture.

I don’t mind if he goes to high school in either Kurahsiki or Okayama City.

I hope that OVA 4 is a success. I have to tolerate the number of episodes to be four. So far, OVA 4 is likely better than OVA 3. Despite of its flaws, OVA 3 was still a good series.

sakuyafinger1 kiyonesmile1 kain2-1 picard1 tenchiahhhhhh

The idea of having one of the girls being the main protagonist sounds rather interesting.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

BrilliantBill wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:

BrilliantBill wrote:

You mean that they’re forgotten basically?

Yup. Either that, or people try to forget lol. But as surprising as it seems, that’s exactly what’s going on. I went to a convention recently, maybe a year ago, where it was Tenchi-themed and the guy running it put on a great con, he was cosplayed as Tenchi, had a little Ryo-Ohki, was a huge fan. In his excitement, he wanted to show me his entire TM! disc collection which was respectable (had a lot of the new FUNi releases), but he had NEVER seen OVA 3 or GXP. Like most other fans, his last memories of Tenchi are fond, because they’re literally from either Toonami or 1999 (the second Tenchi in Love movie).

On the one hand, I’m still somewhat surprised that people, even enthusiastic fans, haven’t seen or sometimes even heard of Geminar, GXP, and/or OVA 3…yet that’s the missing piece to the puzzle of “Why are so many people actually excited for OVA 4?”: It’s because they don’t know what they’re likely in for.

OVA 3? Early 00s, and we all remembered Tenchi from Pioneer (not FUNi) and Toonami with either the original OVA and/or Universe, so it caught us all by surprise…what’s more, when it comes to either good or bad publicity, word didn’t really get around all that well. Why? Because it wasn’t soon enough to be in that golden spot on Toonami, but not late enough for things like social media to really evolve to where they are today.

Fast forward to today, 2 important things to keep in mind: 1) most people’s last memories of Tenchi are, as I said, either Toonami or Negishi’s films, so they’re set up for disappointment just like most of us were a decade ago; 2) social media: when that thing hits, EVEN IF it makes much of a ripple in the news (ANN and internet will help, but it’s being released straight to disc, even Ai had a tv run), as soon as word gets out that it’s “Meh” then that’s it. Tenchi will really, truly, pretty much be a dead franchise (as it’s more or less has been) only this time you probably won’t have dagon123 and company to lead the way, keep it somewhat alive, make con appearances, do podcasts, translate works, etc. etc. etc. and I don’t think anyone will go through the trouble to pick up that Herculean mantle all for “Meh.”

If DBZ is having a tough time riding on its nostalgia, you think Tenchi has a better chance? Me thinks not. AIC had literally one last death-star-destroying shot to salvage themselves and the franchise a la Ai, but for some reasons they/Miura blew it. OVA 3/GXP/Geminar bankrupted them once; I wouldn’t be shocked if OVA 4 did so once again.

mitsuki lover wrote:

The idea of having one of the girls being the main protagonist sounds rather interesting.

Indeed, there are half a million ways to save this franchise…one day. But akin to Star Wars, that will not happen until the “George Lucas” of TM! no longer has sole creative control of the reins.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Star Wars

Try, try again?

jgzinv
      The problem is more a power vacuum around here. There’s not enough people with the background, the skillset, and the time to pour into doing something. The novels are plentiful, but no one would want to take on that task, even though we’ve long since learned what not to do. I’m partially into 4 or 5 books trying to translate, but I’ve only gotten more burried, not less this last year, to spend the time like I used to.

Ai wasn’t what it was cracked up to be, you’ve got a very polarized divide on those who think it was great and those that don’t. The bottom line is that it wasn’t what was needed right then to reinvigorate the franchise, and neither is OAV 4. The canon is still bull****, and will continue to be so until course corrected. That was the case before Ai and still remains so.

A community is as I’ve preached in the past, built on the quality of it’s members. If people are tight knit and enjoy the company of others, then it doesn’t really matter if the subject that brought them together is front and center all the time or not. As we used to say, the carnival may leave for a time but it will always come back around again.

AIC, AFC, DualFans, PWCF, Seto’s Fan, Sanctuary, Tenchiboard, Abh Nation, and many others have fallen over the years, but there is still a small community. Is it all good? No. But it’s sitll there and as long as fans exist to enjoy something, to see the good and not just the bad, there will continue to be a fan community around the world, even if it’s one person here or there.

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Star Wars

Try, try again?

The parallels to Star Wars are made because you don’t even need to spell them out, they are so blatantly obvious in so, many, different, ways that your actively contrarian attitude, though not unexpected, makes you look like a fool.

JGZinv wrote:

Ai wasn’t what it was cracked up to be, you’ve got a very polarized divide on those who think it was great and those that don’t. The bottom line is that it wasn’t what was needed right then to reinvigorate the franchise, and neither is OAV 4. The canon is still bull****, and will continue to be so until course corrected. That was the case before Ai and still remains so.

A community is as I’ve preached in the past, built on the quality of it’s members. If people are tight knit and enjoy the company of others, then it doesn’t really matter if the subject that brought them together is front and center all the time or not. As we used to say, the carnival may leave for a time but it will always come back around again.

Except that when the “endgame” to Tenchi literally disgusted the silent majority almost unanimously, they just left, because without something that doesn’t suck to look forward to, there is no “reason” for a community, and that’s just it, we’re “fans” we don’t owe anything to anyone. If a series sucks, we have no obligation to make excuses for it or hold on “just because”, and that’s obviously happened, because the hundreds and hundreds of people who -used- to be a part of the community are long gone and haven’t been replaced, and the few stragglers who pop there head out every once in awhile, much like Berserk fans, just want to see if we’re still on the slowboat on shit river, and until good ol Kaji croaks, we will be, hence why so many people have just said “Nah” and moved onto other fandoms and series that don’t flagrantly abuse them and insult their intelligence and faith.

My favorite line from The Dark Knight goes “Sometimes…the truth isn’t good enough….sometimes, your faith deserves to be rewarded”

Well it’s been 15 years of garbage, 10 years since OVA3, and OVA4…is going to be a 4 episode filler, *pay to play* series connecting between OVA3 and Geminar? And that’s going to be the *last* OVA?

How can you expect us to just roll over and go “Well it sucks, but we gotta keep putting money into it, because THAT will teach them”, how can you call us *entitled* for not wanting to be a part of a fandom where the show hasn’t been objectively good in a decade and a half? There’s a difference between “quitting” and “knowing when to quit” and JG, I knew when that time was.

The funny thing is, Ai is the REASON we are getting OVA4, because it was that good, it was the first time in 15 years where somebody at AIC gave half a fuck about writing and directing, and I learned after Ai that a lot of fans are never going to be satisfied, because the Tenchi they want is 15 years into the past on a prime-time slot at 5:30 on Cartoon Network, and if you’re one of those people, you need to move on to greener pastures.

[BBvideo]http://youtu.be/Jj4nJ1YEAp4[/BBvideo]

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Star Wars

Try, try again?

The parallels to Star Wars are made because you don’t even need to spell them out, they are so blatantly obvious in so, many, different, ways that your actively contrarian attitude, though not unexpected, makes you look like a fool.

I’m talking about Star Wars. They should try another reboot that isn’t retelling Episode 4 again.

Quote:

contrarian … fool

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/767/223/ec7.png" />

Quote:

we have no obligation to make excuses for it or hold on “just because”

This is true.

Quote:

How can you expect us to just roll over

I don’t & you shouldn’t.

Quote:

the Tenchi they want is 15 years into the past on a prime-time slot at 5:30 on Cartoon Network, and if you’re one of those people, you need to move on to greener pastures.

Also true.

Quote:

silent majority

http://33.media.tumblr.com/9c54dfb803945c05102d00c0e913f578/tumblr_inline_niiamgxftd1rnnsez.png" />

Sorry, it’s just that “silent” isn’t one of the first adjectives that springs to my mind. ;)

Oh, and Nixon, too.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

I’m talking about Star Wars. They should try another reboot that isn’t retelling Episode 4 again.

At least people are looking forward to future installments of Star Wars again.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

looking forward to future installments of Star Wars

So was I.

Only if it’s done by the people behind Star Wars Rebels or Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures.

But seriously nothing they do to Tenchi can reek as badly as The Phantom Menace.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

But seriously nothing they do to Tenchi can reek as badly as The Phantom Menace.

See, you say that…and yeeeeeeeet…

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/kagato_abomination_zpsm4ubqact.png" />

Tell you what: you scope out the new Tenchi, Imma be over here enjoying a rebooted Star Wars franchise…the minute they retcon Darth Vader into a hermaphroditic loli, I’ll be sure to letcha’ know.

Well at least we haven’t yet gotten the Tenchi version of Jar Jar Binks! 😆

Or have we?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Well at least we haven’t yet gotten the Tenchi version of Jar Jar Binks! 😆

Or have we?

If it hasn’t, wait for it, that’s basically what we are doing, waiting for something else horrible to go wrong.

Maybe they’ll do one with special guest appearance by Chibiusa! 😆
Viewing 64 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.