4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki Announced After 10 Years

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime 4th Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki Announced After 10 Years

• This topic is empty.
  • Replies
      WisperG

Alex Morgan wrote:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-16/4th-tenchi-muyo-ryo-ohki-announced-after-10-years/.94304

Hopefully they find someone who sounds like Ryoko and stop abusing her character.

Seriously… I’m exited that their is a possibility this might not be total shit. The first 14 OAV’s where canon.

With Kajishima at the helm it really could go either way depending on how much creative control he was given, but looking at his recent doijinshi, probably not the way we want it to go. His last foray into Masaki-household-starring material was OVA3, which wasn’t exactly looked upon favorably my many.

I’m not sure what you’re last comment means though. OVA3 (i.e. OVA episodes 14-20, or 15-21 if you’re counting the Here Comes Jurai 2 short), GXP and Geminar are also canon to the OVA timeline.

AstroNerdBoy

Alex Morgan wrote:

Hopefully they find someone who sounds like Ryoko and stop abusing her character.

Well, ORIKASA Ai is returning to do the roll, as she’s done from day 1. Oh wait, you meant the English dubs. ;-)

WisperG wrote:

With Kajishima at the helm it really could go either way depending on how much creative control he was given, but looking at his recent doijinshi, probably not the way we want it to go. His last foray into Masaki-household-starring material was OVA3, which wasn’t exactly looked upon favorably my many.

If you are referring to the -If- doujinshi, I think this was always the way he was going to go if he did an OVA 4. As I recall it, even as OVA 3 was being created, he basically stated that when it came to a 4th OVA, it would be a story akin to what happened after World War II. OVA 1 through 3 were the “war” story and OVA 4 would be aftermath. That’s why I never believed he’d actually do it for years, but I guess the urge to tell that aftermath story is what is driving OVA 4.

I liked what I saw in the -If- doujinshi, but that’s just me.

Quote:

I’m not sure what you’re last comment means though. OVA3 (i.e. OVA episodes 14-20, or 15-21 if you’re counting the Here Comes Jurai 2 short), GXP and Geminar are also canon to the OVA timeline.

Yeah, those are all canon.

I was thinking of the Japanese original too when I read that. Though even there I wonder how many of the original cast they could get.

So what don’t they consider canon would be a better question.

AstroNerdBoy

mitsuki lover wrote:

I was thinking of the Japanese original too when I read that. Though even there I wonder how many of the original cast they could get.

Aeka’s original seiyuu (TAKADA Yumi) retired, I think. So she was replaced in Ai Tenchi Muyo and her replacement, NANAO Haruhi, did a really good job of capturing Yumi’s performance as Aeka.

Quote:

So what don’t they consider canon would be a better question.

Anything not written by Kajishima-sensei is not considered canon.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I feel like this thread needs to be merged with Nil’s thread to save time, one thread instead of two threads on the same subject.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Aeka’s original seiyuu (TAKADA Yumi) retired, I think. So she was replaced in Ai Tenchi Muyo and her replacement, NANAO Haruhi

This is true, the 4th OVA will have Nanao Haruhi, as the voice actor for Ayeka since her original seiyuu (Takada Yumi) retired.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Anything not written by Kajishima-sensei is not considered canon.

It really doesn’t matter if it’s canon or not, it’s Tenchi, we just want a new series, Universe wasn’t canon but it was still great.

I always thought Universe was canon..oh! well…a fun ride any way. And it did give us everyone’s favorite bounty hunter not named Spike Spiegel.

My main question about the cast of the new series/ova would be whether or not Yokayama Chisa

would be returning to do Sasami again.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

it did give us everyone’s favorite bounty hunter not named Spike Spiegel.

But I don’t recall Rally in Universe:-?

jgzinv
      Canon is a sad word, particularly when Kajishima creates doujinshi.

Hasegawa – better

Okuda – better

Negishi TMU – better

Seeing a pattern here…

Maybe Disney will buy AIC.

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

I always thought Universe was canon..oh! well…a fun ride any way. And it did give us everyone’s favorite bounty hunter not named Spike Spiegel.

So, you never noticed all those details that didn’t match up with the OVAs, like Washu being in the cave instead of Ryoko, Kagato being the villain again, but looking completely different and having a completely different evil scheme, Tenchi having a different mother in TMiL vs OVA3, or the fact that Kiyone is even there at all?

I’m almost sorry we corrected you. I wish Universe was the “main” continuity. So much potential there.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Seeing a pattern here…

So am I.

Opinions are fun! ;)

susano
      I am glad of the announcement of OVA 4 happening. I do hope that one of the main antagonists happens to be a member of the mysterious Airai. Another choice for a main antagonist is Ayeka’s and Sasami’s father King Azusa. I speculate that Azusa will be merely testing Tenchi to see if he is worthy to married Ayeka and Sasami. Even strangely, Katsuhito, Ayeka, and Sasami will be learning that they may be having a little sibling or two.

kain2-1 Kiyofacepalm1

highgear56
      Since OVA 3 and Ai were terrible I’ll just set my expectations super low. Hopefully I’ll be wrong, but I don’t expect Kajishima to do this the way we’d want.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

highgear56 wrote:

Since OVA 3 and Ai were terrible I’ll just set my expectations super low. Hopefully I’ll be wrong, but I don’t expect Kajishima to do this the way we’d want.

Ai wasn’t terrible, it was just admittedly average, it was nostalgia for fans. Though it is a good idea to not think of the previous OVA’s and keep an open mind, so whatever OVA 4 is, can be enjoyed.

Maybe OVA 4 will have more Kiyone. kiyonesmile1

We can only hope.

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

Maybe OVA 4 will have more Kiyone. kiyonesmile1

We can only hope.

Man, you really didn’t know the OVAs and Universe weren’t connected despite all the discrepancies, did you? I pointed a few of them out to you on the previous page, but I guess you didn’t see that.

GP Kiyone doesn’t exist in the OVA continuity. So there’s no chance of that happening.

What about the Mihoshi Special ? I thought that was connected to the OVAs.
      WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

What about the Mihoshi Special ? I thought that was connected to the OVAs.

That one is kinda hard to place. I’ve always thought it was more likely in the Hasegawa continuity, assuming Kiyone was real and not some fictional partner Mihoshi created for her story, though it doesn’t fit cleanly there either.

Regardless of it’s intended canonicity when it first came out, Kajishima had little involvement in the Mihoshi Special, and as such doesn’t acknowledge it, or Kiyone, who was not created by him.

He already has his own character named Kiyone in the OVA continuity, Tenchi’s mother, who is completely different than Achika, Tenchi’s mother from Universe and TMiL.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Mihoshi Special is a different continuity as it is a spinoff for the appearance of Pretty Sammy

This is for OVA 4 which is assumed to be under Kajishima until further info comes out in November

jgzinv
      I could cite the blu rays, the LDs, or probably a couple more sources that lumped the Special in with the OVA…

*whistles to himself*

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      It is an OVA itself, after all. Whether it’s in continuity, however… woooo1
      Well it is Mihoshi that’s telling it. So one would think that unless Kiyone is her imaginary friend…
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I hope it’s good…I mean, I don’t have hope that it will be good (ah-haha…a-haaa…ahhh…ehh…sigh) but I hope somehow, someway, it’s good. If it is, somebody gimme a ring.

aquateencarl1

Once again, thank you Ai Tenchi Muyo! for reviving interest in the franchise in a big way.

Hope always springs eternal. And yeah, without Ai we’d all probably be sitting around twiddling our thumbs and making more Mihoshi jokes to pass the time of day.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      we will know in about if it’s a good or bad when it comes out, but for now we wait a day and a half till the production event is held.
      ?

I think you forgot to mention how long we actually have to wait until it comes out.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      We won’t know that until after tomorrow, either.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      To sum up all the info there is currently about OVA 4: It’s in progress. Nothing else just it IS currently being made and going to use the cast from Ai. High probability that he is making it along the storyline of his doujins, he will have make it watered down in order to market to teenage audiences like Tenchi is intended for. Though he will make sure it is as close to his doujin story as close as possible.

Wild outlandish hope: Kajishima actually makes the gang go on an adventure which resets Noike as Kiyone and it is great to watch which somewhat restores his rep and Negishi comes back to work with him again.

To expect: OVA 3 v2.0: doujin edition

This is my (and probably other people’s) grading lines for what’s to come in OVA 4, im keeping loose hope that Kajishima falls somewhat high above the middle between the two so that it is a decent storyline for people. It might not be great, but other people watch Tenchi, even OVA 3 and like it, so might as well make a decent story for them after all this time.

I’m confused about that whole Noike/Kiyone thing, but other than that I get your point.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

I’m confused about that whole Noike/Kiyone thing,

Haters gonna’ hate.

ChaudSept
      ^ Just like they did for Ai.

Not the same haters though.

susano
      The What If doujin does give us a hint that someof Tenchi’s daughters will be married to some of Seina’s sons. Seina is going to have a few daughters. Tenchi will have sons. One of Tenchi’s sons is likely going to be the male protagonist of the probable spinoff which I came to call TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION. TM: TNG will focus on Tenchi’s oldest son and his own harem. Right now, I am waiting for OVA 4.

The only things which I do want for OVA include

1- Tenchi being a ronin.

2- Mihoshi being more like her mother Mitoto, not like her Universe counterpart.

3- The name of the nearest town.

4. Funaho’s and Misaki’s visit to Earth.

5. The main villian being a member of the Airai.

I do hope that OVA 4 is not like OVA 3. OVA 3 does have its own good points, but it seem to be a series meant for 12 episodes plus two specials. OVA 4 can be a sequel to TM: RYO-OHKI. I do want 12 or 13 episodes for the series. 12 or episodes are sufficent to include an episode which focus on Funaho’s and Misaki’s visit to Earth.

The Tenchi franchise is still going to survive. The best which I can hope for OVA 4 is the series to be like War on Geminar.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Haters gonna’ hate.

ChaudSept wrote:

^ Just like they did for Ai.

Not the same haters though.

Yeah, ain’t gonna’ go droppin’ names, but…ain’t that somethin’?

😉 😉 😉 😉 😉

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/scumbag_steve_tenchi_zpscsypg5fj.jpg" />

VS.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I hope it’s good…I mean, I don’t have hope that it will be good (ah-haha…a-haaa…ahhh…ehh…sigh) but I hope somehow, someway, it’s good.

hashtag not sayin’ just sayin’

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/justsaiyanvegeta_zps3y72yrr9.jpg" />

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/funny-old-world-gif_zpsfpq7mxxo.gif" />

ChaudSept
      Oh well, I have enough perspective to know who’s the worst in all those situations.

Hater is just a sarcastic way to call us, Ai Tenchi’s likers and Doujins’s dislikers.

I still have hopes too, but I’m naive, not like you all, you damn worn out old fellows.

We’re spoiled from the first two OVAs and Universe is all.

Seriously why can’t we have a series more like the Okuda manga?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

We’re spoiled from the first two OVAs and Universe is all.

Seriously why can’t we have a series more like the Okuda manga?

Because that’s the way it is most of the time, that or some legal issue or technicality that prevents it from happening

jgzinv
      Because to the Japanese mindset, I’d venture a guess that the Okuda manga is about as hard to get there as it is here.

Compare that to how GXP has been getting novels every year for what 5 or 6 now?

Plus there’s the thing that non-OVA Tenchi doesn’t qualify as canon, so people get a giant burr up their bums.

If you’re wondering where I’m pulling that from, it’s the comments on Ai as it came out.

Anonymous

JGZinv wrote:

Plus there’s the thing that non-OVA Tenchi doesn’t qualify as canon, so people get a giant burr up their bums.

If you’re wondering where I’m pulling that from, it’s the comments on Ai as it came out.

For “hardcore” Tenchi fans yea, but Ai was also made with the intent of getting out to the modern Otaku as well, and if the holy land twitter is anything to go by, the show did VERY well, Yuki and Rui are probably just as popular as any of the other girls at this point.

The perception of “the Japanese like” has always been a flawed narrative.

A small group of hardcore “Canon” fans don’t float a franchise, they’re always the ones that are the most vocal, lets do some math.

126,919,659 is the number of people in Japan

But we’ll be nice and lower that number to JUST the number of people in Tokyo which is 13,185,502.

Now lets cut that in half, again, just because, which is 6,592,751

And hell, lets cut that down by 4, for the people who might be interested in Anime and Manga, but only casually

so 1,648,187.75

Kajishima generally makes anywhere from 200 to 600 doujins.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that the idea that “Well the Japanese know and we don’t” has never held any water. Yea there are novels, but again, those novels aren’t “Tokyo Best Sellers” and I doubt even a fraction of the people who might watch the show will even bother to get them, but that’s just conjecture at this point, what this whole fandom was founded on.

OVA4 was only greenlit because Ai did well, period, Negishi said himself that Miura did not have faith that Tenchi could even go again, not even in 90 second intervals, he wouldn’t greenlit an expensive direct to DVD/BD series “because the fans want it”.

It’s not that that is what the Japanese fans want, it’s that that is all the Japanese fans (and by proxy the world) are going to get.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

that is all the Japanese fans (and by proxy the world) are going to get.

Correct.

jgzinv
      I purposely removed doujins from the equation because as you pointed out, they are few in number, they are not published or distributed in any large organized fashion. However with all of the novels over the years, we’ve seen those in great quantity, they have a mainstream publisher, and they would be meant to be found and bought. Tenchi certainly has had one of the largest book presences out there compared to just about anything else short of modern shonen. On a side note, even the Paradise War novels got picked up through digital distribution, even if by reviews, they weren’t all that good.

You could also have pointed out, that the reason we know so little about the older Hasegawa novels and so on, is because they were largely released in a pre-social media environment, much less it would have been cumbersome to even do much with those novels in an online format in the mid to late 90’s. So going by your logic, it’s not that the material was better or worse than say the GXP novels, it is that we’re in a very different technological era where we can track things better and quite simply that content is ancient by today’s standards, even if the US market never got it.

Whether it was warranted or not, Ai still ruffled feathers Dagon, on both sides of the pond. The dynamic changed. Purposefully, yes. If you rewind time back to when we were at the AICBBS, the whole cycle of events is comparable to when OVA 3 and GXP came out then. Ai (aka the non OVA preferred choice) wasn’t as expected by a chunk of the fandom, and for them it failed. Now it’s back to the OVA timeline to disappoint some segment or people group. If the fandom as a whole, were more educated on what’s actually been happening, instead of picking up from the Toonami era, it might have offset some expectations and not caused such a knee jerk reaction at each interval. But it’s not as though we haven’t tried to be that sign at the fork in the road.

From an outside perspective, you could almost say the Tenchi franchise is a rather amusing game of tennis, except each pass of the ball takes about 7-10 years.

Kalum
      Participant
      As a Tenchi Muyo fan since the Toonami era I can’t help but get excited at news of an OVA 4 but then with me being a huge fan I know exactly where it’s all headed. There’s no way it isn’t going to end up with him marrying all of his harem, and it’s probably for the best because of how OVA 3 was written.

It seems like Kajishima himself doesn’t know what he’s writing anymore. OVA 1 and 2 emphasized the fact that Ryoko is madly in love with Tenchi and will do absolutely anything for him. OVA 3 showed this once again when Ryoko, despite knowing she was completely outmatched went to Tenchi’s aid without batting an eyelid as she has done all along. The OVA series to me was written in a way to make Ryoko stand out and then he goes ahead and introduces Noike (Which I completely understand) to freshen things up and in the process completely pushes Ryoko to the side and now he’s only left with 2 choices to end it.

Tenchi marries Noike because it’s already been shown that no-one would dare go against Seto or he marries everyone including Sasami. Either way as a Ryoko fan the ending is going to be bittersweet because he’s not going to actually choose Ryoko, he’s gonna get the harem ending by default and for Ryoko it’s either share him or lose him and we all know she would rather share him with the rest than lose him and I think that’s a major copout on Kajishima’s part.

You can’t help but feel sorry for Ryoko really. She was used by Kagoto as basically a destroyer of civilizations and then she was locked away for 700 years. During which time the only thing she ever wished for was to be with Tenchi who has basically given her a new life. Then when she does finally get free, Tenchi gets surrounded by women who have fallen in love with him and now she’s probably going to have to live with the fact that Tenchi’s gonna be banging at the very minimum 3 other women besides her. Poor woman.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

OVA 1 and 2 emphasized the fact that Ryoko is madly in love with Tenchi and will do absolutely anything for him.

So will everyone else. ;)

Kalum
      Participant

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

OVA 1 and 2 emphasized the fact that Ryoko is madly in love with Tenchi and will do absolutely anything for him.

So will everyone else. ;)

Well yeah, but Ryoko’s influence and feelings were more emphasized and it genuinely did seem like Ryoko was highlighted more than anyone else.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      http://tenchimuyo4th.com/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://tenchimuyo4th.com/ Twtter: (GoogTrans’ed)

Breaking: Tenchi Muyo! 魎皇 demon fourth period ending theme]

Decision to “Shake the DiCE” in Kozuki Serena’s!

June 28th release is scheduled ♪

jgzinv
      All that’s saying is that the theme song will be released June 28, titled ShaketheDice by Kozuki Serena.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Everyone of heaven and earth uncle of whole world

“Tenchi Muyo! 魎皇 demon fourth period “is the first volume ED songs live video publishing in.

5/5 Let’s go to the immediately support the new song of free LIVE event there ♪ heaven and earth four stage in the Utsunomiya!

https://twitter.com/tenchimuyo20th/status/726362530549911552” class=”bbcode_url”>https://twitter.com/tenchimuyo20th/status/726362530549911552

as far as advertising goes for the 4th OVA, it is not really broadcasting a lot

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

as far as advertising goes for the 4th OVA, it is not really broadcasting a lot

Tenchi Muyo! 魎皇demon four stage official Atto Tenchi4th 5H 5 Hours Ago

[Breaking ①] was renewed the official HP!

Http: // Tenchimuyo4th.Com

Tenchi Muyo! 魎皇demon four stage official Atto Tenchi4th 5H 5 Hours Ago

[Breaking ②] key visual was completed (> ω <) v draw down Masaki Kajishima! Heaven and earth and Leia and becomes the Mizuho or ~ to ♪

# Tenchi Muyo

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/harleybmw/sn_001_zpsuwjbfsoy.jpg" />

[Breaking ③] Tenchi Muyo! WEB radio has decided! “Tenchi Muyo! The secret of the radio? ‘S not at all a secret! (Tentative) “to Kakkokari is the title.

# Tenchi Muyo

Tenchi Muyo! 魎皇demon four stage official Atto Tenchi4th 4H 4 Hours Ago

[Breaking 3-2] the first time will be the Pre times! Pre times of personality is Azusa Sato and Tanabe Tomeyo’s your Futari. Because you listen than radio CM is TOP page of the official HP, but please listen to all means (* ^^) v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0PR1Qx1mPA

Ask, and you shall receive. ;)

jgzinv
      AIC has better info – http://animeanime.jp/article/2016/05/02/28345.html

“The story this time in the story that follows these will start immediately after the end of the third OVA.”

Plot points summary:

All of the Masaki house is winding down after the OVA 3 wedding and Reia and Noboyuki are still working in the architectiural office. (Note that this may actually be preparing up to the wedding, not the post wedding, but I’m going with post here since it’s talking post in context). Everyone from around the galaxy had come and gone. Tenchi and Minaho (aunt) meet for the first time. This will be the first sequel in over 10 years, we hope the fans will be looking forward to it.

“Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki OVA Volume 1” is scheduled to be released in 2016 autumn. In the form of ushering in this volume, single CD of Kozuki Serena sings the ending theme “Shake the DiCE” will be released on June 28.

In addition, “Tenchi Muyo! Radio “Tenchi Muyo of”! Not a radio? At all secret secret! (Provisional) “has also been revealed to be delivered. Pre-meeting of personality Azusa Sato & Rui Tanabe is in charge. Kitai be the first time the personality is responsible to whom it takes. Until the 4th OVA release of, it would be also good idea to check the CD and radio.

susano
      I am suspecting that OVA 4 starts sometime around Rea’s and Nobuyuki’s wedding. If OVA 4 starts around the wedding, there is a slight chance that we will find out what really happen when Shrank had tried to kidnapped Seina’s family.

wtfisthis1 kiyonesmile1 gendo1 mmmm1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      GXP was some time after OVA 3ish, since Seina was already working for GP for awhile, it wouldn’t make sense time wise for the Kidnapping attempt to take place right after OVA 3.

Probably going to get more on June 28, or sometime in between on the radio

susano
      When it comes to OVA 4, I want the series to be a sequel to the Ryo-Ohki series As a sequel, OVA 4 can have a total of 13 episodes. With 13 episodes, OVA 4 can have an episode where Mihoshi’s father Nakita comes to Earth, in order to meet Tenchi and give him the news of the Kuramitsu Familly council agreeing to allow Tenchi to be Mihoshi’s Fiance.

All I do expect from OVA 4 is for Sasami going to school. Sasami’s main reasons for going to school are mostly social.

tuxedodouche Tenchismile

jgzinv
      Unfortunately we can wish all we want but this is Kajishima’s series, and he has next to no connection to the audience outside of Japan. What will be will be, without any input from us.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01HPJOUF4” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01HPJOUF4

Pre-order page(s) listed at Amazon.jp.

Nov. 30th. Tenchismile

jgzinv
      Dig a bit more on Animate and you get a few more things.

Episodes are about 30 minutes. There are only 4 discs, or potentially 4 OVA episodes.

Release dates –

11/30/16

2/22/17

5/31/17

8/30/17

«Cast» Masaki Tenchi: Kikuchi, Masami Ryoko Orikasa Ai Ayeka 7 Mio Haruhi Sasami: CHISA Yokoyama Mihoshi: TBA Washu: Yuko Kobayashi Ryo-Ohki: Kozakura ETSU

Anime character design Takeshi Oda

Initial special edition nets you a 3 way sleeve case, a drama CD, and a booklet with Hitoshi Okuda art.

It unfolds over a 24-year long-term, synonymous work of SF romantic comedy anime “Tenchi Muyo! 魎皇 demon”.

Previous work becomes really 11 years from the (third period), eagerly-awaited Masashi sequel OVA is finally set for release in all four volumes!

★ Beginning with the first volume of 2016 released in November, to release a volume every three months, 4 total!

★ general director, the original author, Masaki Kajishima to sum up the “heaven and earth” world!

★ CHISA Yokoyama, Ai Orikasa returning as original voice actors!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

«Cast» Masaki Tenchi: Kikuchi, Masami Ryoko Orikasa Ai Ayeka 7 Mio Haruhi Sasami: CHISA Yokoyama Mihoshi: TBA Washu: Yuko Kobayashi Ryo-Ohki: Kozakura ETSU

I see the old cast, minus Mihoshi: RIP, but no mention of secondary characters, but with the promotional art that was seen on the Tenchi Muyo 4th site:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d0609110c4d514b6ca21eb69be4422f9/tumblr_nnilo4qJE41skcniqo6_1280.jpg" />

http://anime.astronerdboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TMR04Promo-01-BIG.jpg" />

We probably are going to see them, but they maybe cameoed or not really explained when they appear.

JGZinv wrote:

Episodes are about 30 minutes. There are only 4 discs, or potentially 4 OVA episodes.Release dates – 11/30/16

2/22/17

5/31/17

8/30/17

If it’s potentially only 4 eps that is roughly a 2 hour story, whatever story Kajishima wants, it’s going to be rushed in each ep.

jgzinv
      Or they are 45 minute episodes like Geminar… the last thing he got to direct.

Either way it’s Kajishima, with an IF like setting.

There’s also that wonderful ine – Masaki Kajishima to sum up the “Tenchi Muyo” world!

Purveyors of Google fu would also say sum up could be referencing the end, or it could just be a recap series.

Personally, I’m hoping for Kaji to bomb it so it gets rebooted. Long live the king, the king is dead.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

There’s also that wonderful ine – Masaki Kajishima to sum up the “Tenchi Muyo” world!Purveyors of Google fu would also say sum up could be referencing the end, or it could just be a recap series.

Possibly a bridge series in order to fill in and connect plots and things that he couldn’t when he made Geminar, OVA 3, and GXP.

JGZinv wrote:

Personally, I’m hoping for Kaji to bomb it so it gets rebooted.

It’s kinda terrible to hope for Tenchi, even though it would probably needs it the most. Hopefully the best we can hope for is that Tenchi anime is longer made under Kajishima, and any kind of backing for him to make anime is no longer valid.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Z-Man wrote:

sum up could be referencing the end

By the end it will have been 25 years since the beginning, sounds like a good time to end the OVA series.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

any kind of backing for him to make anime is no longer valid.

That seems a little extreme.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:

any kind of backing for him to make anime is no longer valid.

That seems a little extreme.

Not counting OVA 3’s very flawed failure, considering what he wrote in his doujins on Tenchi children and Seina’s, i think it would be safe for Tenchi if Kajishima no longer had the possibility to make more anime.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

i think it would be safe for Tenchi if Kajishima no longer had the possibility to make more anime.

I interpreted that section of your statement as any anime, not just Tenchi due to the first part of your statement:

Quote:

Hopefully the best we can hope for is that Tenchi anime is [no] longer made under Kajishima

Because it sounded redundant otherwise.

Thank you for clarifying. :)

jgzinv
      I think KM has plenty of potential to work in a certain segment of hentai anime or H-games. I’ll even give him a new title he can run with…

Torpedo Tits from Titan

Knowing him though, he’d attempt to run with it, but someone’d trip cause it’s too floppy. *ba-dum tish*

Yugi12
      I really wish that I could be excited about this but after OVA 3 and GXP I’ve kind of lost interest in the OVA canon.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      A performace of OVA 4 opening Shake the DiCE by Serena Kozuki

[BBvideo]http://youtu.be/W9AlmtSEr2A[/BBvideo]

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Well, it’s no “Tsuki no Tragedy” but it’ll do. ;)

I expect a slightly frenetic ED sequence.

jgzinv
      Well maybe it’d fit for Pretty Sammy…

I kinda want to crawl in a closet and hide under a blanket, with earbuds in playing Yamerarenai after that.

It’s pretty upbeat I guess, but it’s not elegant at all like any of the old openings.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

JGZinv wrote:

Yamerarenai

That wasn’t so bad.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      So far i only found the opening and ending sequences, no full or partial raw ep found yet

Opening

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7jVOcFovGk[/BBvideo]

Ending

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EcPRQuud0M[/BBvideo]

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      And of course they seem to be changing it up with Vol. 2: :/

Bing’d wrote:

Your patronage very much, thank you.

Once again, had to guide you in the notice “Tenchi muyo! Ryohki “4 season, volume 2 OP/ED songs

With regard to representative artists, will change.

Artist and great inconvenience in the animation production team, manufacturers and affiliated offices concerned to apologize.

We had planned to purchase very inconvenience any inconvenience

Thank you for your understanding and please note that will be.

Mars Entertainment, LLC

wth2

So in plain English what does that mean?

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

And of course they seem to be changing it up with Vol. 2: :/

Bing’d wrote:

Your patronage very much, thank you.

Once again, had to guide you in the notice “Tenchi muyo! Ryohki “4 season, volume 2 OP/ED songs

With regard to representative artists, will change.

Artist and great inconvenience in the animation production team, manufacturers and affiliated offices concerned to apologize.

We had planned to purchase very inconvenience any inconvenience

Thank you for your understanding and please note that will be.

Mars Entertainment, LLC

mitsuki lover wrote:

wth2

So in plain English what does that mean?

Yeah Nobs, what does that mean? If you wouldn’t mind elaborating for the rest of us (using proper English syntax, with relevant vernacular considerations taken into account, of course).

Simple Bing or Google translate doesn’t really have the refined edge that a Nil or Crazed translation has, does it?What about that “kindness of strangers” route? The “a.k.a. not these guys” bit? After all, I’m sure plenty of other people are willing to translate and localize stuff for you, for free, backed with professional consultation, all while getting snarked at constantly….

jgzinv
      More or less that the store/entity is apologizing in typical Japanese way, because the item expected (vol 2 of Tenchi OVA 4) will not follow the description that it has been sold under up to this time. There was a change and the OP and ED will be done by other artists, instead of the people that did it initially.

The production team and storefront is terribly sorry for any inconvenience or change of anticipation this update has caused.

TLDR – OP and ED are being performed from someone else from Vol 2 of OVA 4 going forward. Life moves on, very few people cared.

Anonymous

JGZinv wrote:

..very few people cared.

I’d say so, still raw.

[BBvideo]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x54al94[/BBvideo]

hmmm….does that mean that the franchise is running out of steam?
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/twitchy.gif" />

I mean…I’ve literally been saying that for 18 months now, but anyway…were I a “weatherman” predicting the forecast of TM!, I’d say yes, yes it is.

http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1555&start=20” class=”bbcode_url”>http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1555&start=20

Old man Kaji (if I recall) basically said “m’kay done” after this one…but hey, Miyazaki’s said he was “retired” several projects ago, so ya never know….

And as we’ve said in numerous podcasts and in numerous posts, according to Negishi himself (via twitter), Toru Miura (AIC President) literally said TM! was “dead” as a franchise before Ai came out. Negishi pretty much had to convince him to give it a shot, and haggle to even get 5 min length installments (Miura wanted like a min and a half or something like that). Justifiably so, from a business standpoint Miura had no faith in TM!’s viability at that time. It was dead.

Then Ai happened, the impossible was done: fans were galvanized, and enthusiasm was generated for the franchise again…then, instead of having Negishi do more, they bet the farm on another OVA, Kaji’s vision, i.e. what bankrupted AIC in the first place. I’ll probably go to my grave never knowing precisely why, but that’s what happened…and again, I could be wrong, but I think what will happen is now TM! will, for real, be “dead” because we’re going to spend literally our last chance on a continuity that’s painted itself into a corner and that pretty much gives 99% of Tenchi fans shell shock just thinking about the last OVA installment.

When you’re dealing with a (nearly) dead franchise, you gotta’ bring your A-game or anything coming down the pike will be DOA.

Ai came out every day, whereas the shortened attention span of the average anime fan anymore…well, how long between episode installments? It being an OVA, I’m guessing maybe months. That, unfortunately, will hurt its memorability factor as well.

Hey, I kinda’ hope I’m proven wrong, but…how often do you win the jackpot twice in a row?

(I think it was beaglesan, if I recall, who put it best: “wasted opportunity” indeed.)

jgzinv
      The release dates:

Blu-ray release schedule:

Volume 1: November 30, 2016

Volume 2: February 22, 2017

Volume 3: May 31, 2017

Volume 4: August 30, 2017

So yes months. It’ll be nearly the same time next year before it is done with.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      After watching the raw, here is my take on the OVA. It seems really calm, i don’t feel a Tenchi energy really being projected from the gang. Mihoshi seems to be the character that stays herself, everyone else seems to lose something about themselves. Although i do miss Ayeka and Ryoko fighting, there is a thing about seeing them just talk that pleases me. I think it’s actually seeing the get along part of their relationship in the house. I might try to do a few translation sentences of the raw, if i have time and the internet.
      jgzinv
      It appears to be in Chinese, fyi if you go that route. I was having a fit trying to get the last 5 lines.

Aykea and Ryoko having a leisurely conversation probably harkens back the most to TMiL2.

Beagle-san

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/twitchy.gif" />

I mean…I’ve literally been saying that for 18 months now, but anyway…were I a “weatherman” predicting the forecast of TM!, I’d say yes, yes it is.

http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1555&start=20” class=”bbcode_url”>http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1555&start=20

Old man Kaji (if I recall) basically said “m’kay done” after this one…but hey, Miyazaki’s said he was “retired” several projects ago, so ya never know….

And as we’ve said in numerous podcasts and in numerous posts, according to Negishi himself (via twitter), Toru Miura (AIC President) literally said TM! was “dead” as a franchise before Ai came out. Negishi pretty much had to convince him to give it a shot, and haggle to even get 5 min length installments (Miura wanted like a min and a half or something like that). Justifiably so, from a business standpoint Miura had no faith in TM!’s viability at that time. It was dead.

Then Ai happened, the impossible was done: fans were galvanized, and enthusiasm was generated for the franchise again…then, instead of having Negishi do more, they bet the farm on another OVA, Kaji’s vision, i.e. what bankrupted AIC in the first place. I’ll probably go to my grave never knowing precisely why, but that’s what happened…and again, I could be wrong, but I think what will happen is now TM! will, for real, be “dead” because we’re going to spend literally our last chance on a continuity that’s painted itself into a corner and that pretty much gives 99% of Tenchi fans shell shock just thinking about the last OVA installment.

When you’re dealing with a (nearly) dead franchise, you gotta’ bring your A-game or anything coming down the pike will be DOA.

Ai came out every day, whereas the shortened attention span of the average anime fan anymore…well, how long between episode installments? It being an OVA, I’m guessing maybe months. That, unfortunately, will hurt its memorability factor as well.

Hey, I kinda’ hope I’m proven wrong, but…how often do you win the jackpot twice in a row?

(I think it was beaglesan, if I recall, who put it best: “wasted opportunity” indeed.)

You rang? badass1

Now I have to track down what I said about what you said I said… wth2

jgzinv
      well it wasn’t in those exact words on this forum anyway…. according to search-fu.

Hi Beagle… how’s life treating you these days?

hmmm…so from what others have said on this thread so far, this could be it.
      rosadojr
      I don’t undestand I’ve been waiting so long heck guys my account looked dead and now I got so hyped…. no subs nobody going crazy about it…. I thought there was a lot more tenchi fans…
      WisperG
      That’s what happens when a franchise stays borderline-dormant for a decade+, and is of a genre and built on certain sensibilities that were once extremely popular, but now don’t really align with the general tastes of today’s anime fans. All we’re left with are a minority of hardcore fans, and some of them have already been rubbed the wrong way by Kajishima as of late. It’s not just Tenchi though. Harem comedies were once some hot flapjacks, easily one of the most popular anime genres, but are now pretty niche. They’ll never completely go away, but like all popular genres they get dethroned by the Next Big Thing (c) that catches on. And in 2016 that’s definitely not harem comedies.
      SnowQueen

WisperG wrote:

They’ll never completely go away, but like all popular genres they get dethroned by the Next Big Thing (c) that catches on. And in 2016 that’s definitely not harem comedies.

Harem anime is still around for sure but it definitely has changed. They are not gone but they aren’t the same. As of late its seems like most of them are so ecchi and just down right preverted it might as well be hentai. Basically if the girls aren’t some kind monsters,devils,snake or dragon(lol) or if the guy isn’t some total prevert then it just doesn’t get seen.

My personal opinion please don’t chew me out. U_U

jgzinv
      A lot of people were calling Nisekoi both the first resurgence of harem anime and the end of harem anime as well.

It has definitely take a back seat compared to the 90’s era where things were a lot more loose and slapstick.

Would LoveHina survive in today’s era? I doubt it. Around the time the first Negima anime came out is when roughly

the cultural shift sort of said, we’ve had enough.

I’ve always identified as a DualFan first and a Tenchi fan a few spots removed. Part of that was the over the topness of Tenchi

and it taking things too far. Dual while yes would qualify as a harem anime, was a lot more subdued. Like LoveHina there was really only 1 or 2 characters acting as a love interest while everyone else was a distraction or comic relief.

Likewise I think that formula worked for Universe. The only serious competitors were Ayeka and Ryoko from the get go. Sure we had time and space adventures where each of the girls had their fantasy, but it’s just not on the same level. Move again to TMiL2, same thing. Kiyone and Mihoshi, and by extension Sasami are all backup.

Compare that to the direction the OVA has gone… Tenchi screws everything with 2 or more legs, while being a oblivious shut in with no soul… and yeah you do basically have a boring ass H-game. The only thing moving anything along is Juraian politics… which if my rip of the last few lines is right… Jurai decreed that Tenchi should have a child.

My advice though is that we knew the OVA was in a downward spiral since years back with GXP and OVA 3, this is nothing new. You don’t jump out of a plane without a parachute or some conveyance and expect to land perfectly A-OK. Likewise no surprise here. There’s still plenty of novels, other materials to look at. This isn’t new, and the Tenchi community survived 3/4ths of the english speaking fandom washing their hands of it – last time this happened.

Kajishima’s going to do what Kajishima is going to do, we have no say in it. Just wait for someone else to pickup the license or AIC to finally die. Either way, times have changed, don’t expect anything to look like it did in the 90’s. You’ll be happier just accepting everything as spin offs.

susano
      Tenhci Muyo was created as an unique series. There were some harem series before Tenchi Muyo. Tenchi had came out at the right time for a new genre to appear. Some references have stated that the North American fans of Tenchi Muyo have coined the term “Harem series.”

Harem series are clearly divided into several sub-genres. One of the Harem sub-genre is the Reverse harem. A reverse harem series is focus primary of the female protagonist and her own male harem. The members of the male harem don’t have to be in fully in love with the female protagonist. Fruits Basket is one of the finest examples of a Reverse Harem series. The female protagonist finds herself in the middle of a love triangle. A love triangle is a common element of a harem series. The series Aoi Yori Aoshi has a love triangle which is barely noticeable. Tenchi Muyo has one of the best known love triangles.

Harem series will continue to be made. Some harem series are going to be bad. Oddly, there a few harem series are successful. One of the best example of a successful harem series is To Love-Ru. While I like To Love-Ru, I am a little uncomfortable with the excessive fanservice. Some of the bad harem series will likely too much fanservice and barely a plot.

I do want Tenchi Muyo OVA 4 to be successful. Tenchi Muyo is a classic series. I did want OVA 4 to be a sequel to Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki. OVA 4 is a continuation of the TM! Ryo-Ohki series. I have a feeling that there will be a future spinoff of Tenchi Muyo ! Ryo-Ohki series. The spinoff is going to a sequel. I came to call the spinoff TENCHI MUYO! THE NEXT GENERATION.

The Next Generation will focus on one of Tenchi’s sons. Oddly, I think that the female protagonist of the series should be the main protagonist. With the female protagonist as the main protagonist, we will be getting a female perspective of a harem series.

kiyonesmile1 Kiyofacepalm1

It also may be that Tenchi has seen it’s final days. Looking more and more like Ai was the coda to the entire series.

AFAIG. it looks like Monster Musume is the new ‘IT’ series when it comes to harem comedy.Although it’s not the first to feature monster girls: Rosario x Vampire anyone?

I know I know before anyone says it, Ai isn’t technically the coda to Tenchi, but from the response to the fourth ova it really should be.

I think also the reason there may be so much negative reaction here is that most of us here got into anime around the ’90s

or early ’00s when Tenchi was still bright spanking new and one of the “IT” franchises to watch.

ShinjiIkari_FAR
      Participant
      I would plead a case for Highschool DxD. Its a harem anime but a lot more than that and offers more than typical harem ecchi fanservice and fare. Its got some pretty good action, decent of not really good art, likeable characters and the harem members aren’t trying to kill each other like Ryoko and Ayeak over the MC. Its pretty good stuff IMO. While I still love Tenchi and all its spinoffs, harem series and anime in general has just evolved a good deal since Tenchi Muyo! first aired. tenchiahhhhhh
      Agree. But then again, even before Tenchi we had Kimagure Orange Road with the whole Madoka/Kyousuke/Hikaru triangle. I know not quite a harem comedy.

I actually perfer Angel Tales or Rosario X Vampire when it comes to that.

rosadojr
      Too bad the series is like that… does anyone has a link for the subs?

cause I’ve seen it in nyaa torrents but raw.. sadface1

jgzinv
      No subs have been known.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Found a SoundCloud of the new opening: https://soundcloud.com/atsushi-shikamoto/pnk-short

CD singles of the new OP and ED announced for sale on March 1st.

Viewing 90 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.