50 years in February

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat 50 years in February

• This topic is empty.
    February 1964 saw the beginning of a pop culture phenomena as the British Invasion of the U.S. began with the Beatles’ original appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

50 years seems to have gone by rather fast.In the betweentime we’ve seen the Beatles break up and

Paul form his own group,Wings,John get assasinated by a crazed fan who complained of voices in his head,

George die and Ringo somehow keep on being Ringo.

And despite all this they still continue to be one of the most popular groups in Pop Music history.

And it all started when Ed Sullivan took a chance on four nearly unknown Liverpuddlian lads.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      Ringo actually has a house out here in Aspen and one of my co-workers was hitch hiking here when he picked him up. He asked him “Hey are you Ringo Starr?” and he said “Yes I am,” to which my co-worker replied “My great aunt might have helped you guys out in the past.” I forget the details, I’ll have to ask him again.

… I still don’t listen to them though.

Anonymous

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

… I still don’t listen to them though.

I would suggest you give them a chance, the earlier stuff is definitely more poppy, but they have a lot of really heartfelt stuff that just feels good to listen to sometimes.

I can’t really recommend a good place to start listening, but you could always peruse around youtube, “Hey Jude” and “Let it be” being amongst my favorite songs by them.

I should specify; if they are on someones radio or Pandora, I’m not going to fuss about it. But I’m not about to hop on the bandwagon and say “Greatest Band Ever.” They were certainly influential, but I’m not going to line my hard drive or CD shelf with their hits either. I take them as they are; an upbeat act that introduced America to Brit Pop sensations, thus opening the door for other later acts to invade US Airwaves, such as Judas Priest and Bloc Party.
      Cool story.

And as far as it goes I don’t think anyone person or group outside of Elvis has had such a large impact on the pop music scene as the Beatles.

The source was a item in Time magazine that was listing all the various anniversaries for 2014.

The Beatles’ appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show 50 years ago was #1 on the list.

Nil Admirari
      none
      I’ll definitely always have a bit of a soft spot for The Beatles. Memories of little Nil sifting through his dad’s briefcase filled with tapes of all kinds and pulling out the cassettes of 1962–1966 and 1967–1970. Then, popping them into his Talkboy portable tape player and heading out to play at the park with Strawberry Fields Forever warbling over a speaker unable to push that much sound out. It was a strange summer, that year. My first real taste of Psychedelia.

As I’ve grown older I’ve certainly left the Fab Four behind in my frequent listens list but they were an irreplaceable part of my musical journey. I’d like to think it’s no coincidence that The Beatles: Rock Band launched in the states on my birthday. Kinda crazy that it’s really been that long since they started off as the “boy band” of the 60s, before transforming into a creature that defied what anyone could have predicted when they took to the stage on the Ed Sullivan show.

Yep.No-one would’ve have predicted that so much would happen in so little time too.I mean the whole

Beatles thing only lasted less than a decade.And despite that they’re still one of the most influencial musical groups in Pop history and Beatlemania continues to be one of the biggest tribute bands around(they’ve even

played The Price Is Right).

But still one wonders if it weren’t for The Ed Sullivan Show how much of this would have happened.

Yesterday was the official 50th Anniversary.CBS had an interview with the official photographer who took all the

Beatles’ pictures back then.

Almael
      Well, now it’s british TV show invasion. Does that mean a media invasion every 50 years?
      Kiyofacepalm1

I goofed.Sunday is the actual 50th and to celebrate CBS is having a Special featuring Ringo and Paul and guests

singing Beatles standards.It starts at 8:00.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.