90’s Cartoon

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat 90’s Cartoon

• This topic is empty.
    Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread about 90’s cartoons because I felt it would start some good conversation and hopefully bring back some memories. There are really no “rules” to what you can talk about. Just make it a 90’s cartoon or even 80’s cartoons, or even early 2000 cartoons.I myself loved Doug, Hey Arnold, Animaniacs, Recess, Tiny Toons, Rocko’s Modern Life, Ahh Real Monsters, Invader Zim, Dexters Lab, Ed, Edd, n Eddy and many more which I hope you will list. Also, Im not sure if this is the same kind of thread as Mittens, The one where she asked what were were currently watching.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I remember the very first cartoon I watched growing up in the mid 90’s was Megaman. I was obsesses with that show and still have a few episodes of it taped with 90’s commercials and everything. After that it was Beast Wars which was great. Then I discovered the wonders of Kids WB and began my lifelong obsession with Superman, Batman, and the Justice League. Throw in Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, and Pokemon and I was a cartoon obsessed 9 year old primed and ready for the Toonami revolution in 2000.
      shadbomb77

chucklocker wrote:

I remember the very first cartoon I watched growing up in the mid 90’s was Megaman. I was obsesses with that show and still have a few episodes of it taped with 90’s commercials and everything. After that it was Beast Wars which was great. Then I discovered the wonders of Kids WB and began my lifelong obsession with Superman, Batman, and the Justice League. Throw in Pinky and the Brain, Animaniacs, and Pokemon and I was a cartoon obsessed 9 year old primed and ready for the Toonami revolution in 2000.

Very good choices, and i like how you blended it all in to lead you up to Toonami haha. I also forgot to add All that and Amanda Show. I always wanted to be on all that as a kid but sadly…I didnt.

ryokofan21
      My all time favorite 90’s cartoon (most of ya’ll probabaly already know this) is HEY ANROLD. Its just such an amazing show. My next favorites would have to be Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Ed Edd n Eddy, Angry Beavers, Rocko’s Modern Life, Dexter’s Lab, 2 Stupid Dogs, Secret Squirrel, and so many more that I can’t even name them all.
      shadbomb77
      Thinking about it now, cow and chicken actually made me laugh quite a bit. Any now when i look back on it, it had alot of adult humor in it.
      Everything on Nickelodeon, ’nuff said. That includes Nick Jr, which I used to watch when I was sick from school (most of the time faking). I never got into Cartoon Network until Toonami in late Summer/early fall of 2000. Before then, I just thought of it as that weird channel with the guy with the sunglasses, who is of course Johnny Bravo. :D

Oh yeah, and Recess. I also liked re-runs of 80s cartoons that ABC played like The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I never cared for DuckTales… The NES game was fun.

ryokofan21 wrote:

My all time favorite 90’s cartoon (most of ya’ll probabaly already know this) is HEY ANROLD. Its just such an amazing show. My next favorites would have to be Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Ed Edd n Eddy, Angry Beavers, Rocko’s Modern Life, Dexter’s Lab, 2 Stupid Dogs, Secret Squirrel, and so many more that I can’t even name them all.

The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy was from 2000 as Grim & Evil. Yes the OP said you can mention 80s and 2000s cartoons, but I’m just saying because you didn’t mention. 😉

Johnny Bravo was also interesting enough the generic name of a singer that Greg Brady got signed to

front as in an episode of The Brady Bunch.The reason I mention it is that they did a pop-up version of the episode on Tvland and included the bit about the ’90s cartoon character.

Don’t forget Samurai Jack.One of the best action series of the ’90s.

^Samurai Jack was 2001. I don’t have Boomerang, but apparently it airs on there. It’s supposed to a channel for retro cartoons but is now a dump truck for everything Cartoon Network did decent, while the main channel is what really stinks.
      shadbomb77
      Samurai Jack was an amazing show in my opinion. Great series with a great story, and the surrounding characters were hilarious. My favorite was the scotsman.

shadbomb77 wrote:

Thinking about it now, cow and chicken actually made me laugh quite a bit. Any now when i look back on it, it had alot of adult humor in it.

If I recall, there was a “carpet muncher” scene. Also, in Rocko’s Modern Life, someone said “doggy-style.”

shadbomb77

SilverWhisper wrote:

shadbomb77 wrote:

If I recall, there was a “carpet muncher” scene. Also, in Rocko’s Modern Life, someone said “doggy-style.”

You never see stuff like this anymore!

Rocko’s modern Life “Specialty phone operator”

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNa_NsMR_4[/BBvideo]

Cow and Chicken

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0-ognj-UdE[/BBvideo]

^LOL it was this:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbfn_QIaBkM[/BBvideo]

Llwchwr
      Ah nostalgia can’t beat it, has anyone else on this thread now seen connections between the Washu and Mihoshi and Dexter’s Laboratory – a short ‘child’ genius in a secret laboratory hidden away in a house making wondorous machines always to be thwarted by a dumb blonde that can somehow always get into the lab and with the simple push of a button … boom.
      Except Dexter and Deedee were brother and sister.

I must say I hadn’t seen cartoons,except for the occasional Charlie Brown,for decades until we got

Direct Tv and I started watching the Toon Network to see old favorites like The Flintstones and

the Jetsons(back before Boomerang was created to put all the 60s and 70s toons on).

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Except Dexter and Deedee were brother and sister.

Well, technically Mihoshi and Washu are related in the OVA canon….

Anyway, Sailor Moon + new anime = freakin awesome!

I remember just little bits and pieces of it from my youth, but I am currently watching it now and it is amazing! From what I have heard, the new anime is supposed to be along the lines of a reboot/retelling. Nothing wrong with this as long as they stick to the classic art style and story techniques. Should definitely be something worth waiting for, at least until we hear about another anime’s 20th anniversary announcement….

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Llwchwr wrote:

has anyone else on this thread now seen connections between the Washu and Mihoshi and Dexter’s Laboratory – a short ‘child’ genius in a secret laboratory hidden away in a house making wondorous machines always to be thwarted by a dumb blonde that can somehow always get into the lab and with the simple push of a button … boom.

Excellent observation! If I may:

*SUPPOSED to start at 2:42 if anyone actually wants to watch, dern yt link won’t work quite the way I want it to…

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCyVXbe8_Hc&t=2m43s[/BBvideo]

…but I digress.

Great idea for a topic! So many great cartoons from when I was a ‘knee high to a grasshopper’ many of which were already mentioned, and many of which admittedly I would also have difficulty separating whether they were in fact from the 90’s or early 2000’s (such as Grim Adv. Billy & Mandy, & Courage the Cowardly Dog).

Johnny Bravo one of my favs, & while I’m thinking of CN, I loved Ed Edd n Eddy (which again prob 2000’s but oh well). Recess was another good one, kudos for bringing it up Silver.

Ren & Stimpy–classic, yet watching it again recently, can’t believe it was a kid’s show lol

shadbomb77
      So one of my fav 90’s shows is Spongebob, now i only liked it until like 2004. But I feel it had some of the best quotes/lines in a series. I was thinking about making a new thread about pure spongebob quotes. How do you guys think that would do? I mean you have some classic gems like…

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZSXnrbs_k[/BBvideo]

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Interesting you mention that time frame, because I think that’s right around the time the creator of the show quit (or retired, or whatever the right word is) no doubt being set up for life monetarily, leaving some other folks at Nickelodeon to take over coming up with material, which imo has resulted in a deterioration of quality (I don’t watch Spongebob like I used to, but I’ve seen some within the last 5 years, you watch one of those and then one from early 2000’s it’s like night & day)

& if you’d like Shad, no reason you couldn’t start said thread under Chit Chat if you felt like it. Chit Chat is for whatever!

:Tenchismile:

p.s. FINLAND!!! 😆

^I actually liked some of the “recent ones,” as in up to 2008. I see what you mean about the last couple of years, however.

I’ve actually heard a rumor another SpongeBob movie is coming out.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

I’ve actually heard a rumor another SpongeBob movie is coming out.

God help us all…..

Well if Western Civilization survived two Brady Bunch Movies…
      ^Also, every direct-to-video Disney film.
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      I miss the 90s. We had the good Nickelodeon and Disney series/films. Ahhh Real Monsters was my favourite, but I also loved Doug and Angry Beavers. :)

http://img.rp.vhd.me/4513495_l3.jpg" />

I can’t believe all that was 2 decades ago.Then again I’m still not over the fact that the ’80s were

3 decades ago. 😯

At least disco was 4 decades ago.

Thorn
      ^ You know there’s a site called ruinedchildhood.com that’s littered with various adult humor references from 90’s cartoons and movies. I remember a scene from 2 Stupid Dogs where the smaller dog (I don’t remember his name) took a bite of something, spat it out and said “This tastes like caca!” I asked my mom what that meant and she told me and then said I shouldn’t be saying it.

Anyway, some of my favorites

Dexter’s Lab

Courage the Cowardly Dog

Johnny Bravo

Rugrats

Cow and Chicken

Ed, Edd, and Eddy

and several more…

What really stands out for me as much as all the great 90’s cartoons is all the syndicated 80’s cartoons as well as the old ones that our parents grew up with like Looney Tunes and Scooby-Doo. Also, I loved Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Toonami, it’s so good to see the heyday incarnation of TOM and his spaceship back on the air!

What no Samurai Jack?
      Thorn
      It was included when I said “and many more.” As was Power Puff Girls and several others. By the way, does anyone remember Mike, Lu, and Og?
      🙄

Sorry no.

90’s toons eh, ahh the 80’s & 90’s were a great era for Toons & TV, yes the cable boom I remember it well.

:Tenchismile:

I for one to this day still love watching Batman: TAS, Ducktales, and the various Sonic The Hedgehog Toons.

Also can never seem to get the old Megaman theme song out of my head… Super Fighting Robot…. MEGAMAN!!!

Thorn wrote:

It was included when I said “and many more.” As was Power Puff Girls and several others. By the way, does anyone remember Mike, Lu, and Og?

Looking at the show I remember, but I didn’t know that’s what it was called. From the coming up bumps I assumed it was something like Two Stupid Dogs.

Anonymous

SilverWhisper wrote:

Thorn wrote:

Looking at the show I remember, but I didn’t know that’s what it was called. From the coming up bumps I assumed it was something like Two Stupid Dogs.

I always found it hilarious that Sheep in the Big City, The Grim Adventures /Evil Kon Karne and Kids next door were all apart of this push of new content around the new millenium (This was after EEnE and Courage had Premiered) and they held a contest, they would show the pilot, and the show that did the “best” would get a full season, and guess who won? ….Sheep in the Big City iultracameplz I was actually shocked because KnD’s especially was so much higher budget and well done

The irony, considering the other 2 (and Kon Karne too really) all got at least 4 seasons :Cheeks:

Thorn
      ^ Ah! I remember Sheep in the Big City! As I recall, it was a bit odd (albeit, not nearly as bizarre as CN’s current lineup) compared to the rest of the shows at that time. I never did care much for Kon Karne or Kids Next Door.
      I never heard of Kon Karne before now.
      Thorn
      ^ If memory serves, it was a spin-off of the Grim & Evil show. Both halves got their own show. Evil Kon Karne and the Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.
      Oh…I think I remember now.
      OMG, yes!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5OteVk1Qcs[/BBvideo]

ryokofan21
      Okay I should warn you all, i’m about to unleash my inner redneck.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet but…

Can I get an AMEN for the ANIMANIACS!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/dd/Animaniacs.svg/250px-Animaniacs.svg.png" />

I used to come home after school somedays, and before toonami came on I would watch Pokemon and the Animaniacs on TV. As a kid it was just funny slapstick, but with the Hub running the Animaniacs now, all of the jokes are so much funnier. And they have some of the best songs, as I will now show you.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x88Z5txBc7w[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSvJ9SN8THE[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_J5rBxeTIk[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKrwlgiYn-c[/BBvideo]

^Mother fucking FREAKAZOID!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-hUoeHcz0[/BBvideo]

Thorn
      Oh yeah! Freakazoid was awesome! I remember for some reason I only saw it on early in the mornings though.
Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.