A Very Pretty Sammy Sequel?!

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime A Very Pretty Sammy Sequel?!

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    Sauce-age:

A wall advertising for the Japanese crowdfunding platform Campfire and art seller Manga Art lists several “projects in the works” from the anime production company AIC: “a brand-new project in the Megazone 23 franchise, a Megazone 23 remake, a Pretty Sammy sequel, and others.” The advertising in Tokyo’s Akihabara district this week has the tagline, “AIC animates the projects you think of!”

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5L9F8aVcAAl9ft.jpg" />

Two thoughts:

– That’s not Sasami.

– I might be more excited for Megazone 23.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Which Pretty Sammy are they making a sequel for? I get if they are continuing from the recent 2006 to 2007 one, but it says “Pretty Sammy”, so im wondering if they are sequeling the Pretty Sammy TV series which ended in 1997.

Nobuyuki wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5L9F8aVcAAl9ft.jpg" />

Two thoughts:

– That’s not Sasami.

– I might be more excited for Megazone 23.

Well the joke in the Pretty Sammy series is that she can change her outfit when she transforms into a magical girl mode, but not her face, which makes her identity obvious. It’s either they are changing her appearnce when she transforms now, a new girl and have Sammy as a teacher or partner, or they are not using Sasami anymore and using a new character to represent “Pretty Sasami” now.

Also have to check out Megazone 23, sounds interesting.

SnowQueen
      She looks like Ruby Kurosawa lmao. Its probably not the “Pretty Sammy” that we are expecting. They could just using the name and not have the original characters in it at all. tenchiahhhhhh Shes cute though…whoever she is. LOL
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I am taking a guess of Spring or Summer of 2018 for the release or late winter this year. Because AIC said “In the Works” so that mean they are working on it, and if they follow a small 12 or 13 ep season then it shouldn’t take as long as a 24 to 26 ep season. I mean this is suppose to be a sequel and reintroduction of Pretty Sammy, figure they would start small and see if there is still some worth in it before they put everything into it.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I heard about this, so I’ll share my two cents.

First of all, I was surprised to hear a Pretty Sammy sequel (of all the iterations of Tenchi Muyo!) was planned. (Not insulting Pretty Sammy, but it just wasn’t one of the more popular continuities of TM!–there were so many in the 90s–to say nothing of its good quality.)

To me, this is symptomatic of the current state of affairs at AIC, which can be interpreted in-between two extremes: they’re “desperate” in a sense (the crowdfunding aspect alone suggest that, more on that later) so they’re reaching for anything they can think of that they can attach the Tenchi brand to.

But, put another way, they’re also learning (finally). They’ve learned from Ai that there’s demand for more Tenchi (even if it’s not necessarily a “need” har har), and the OVA not having the mileage it once had, they’re trying to tap into some veins of nostalgia while falling back on a model similar to their glory days…diversify the Tenchi brand.

But speaking of glory days…I imagine this anachronistic company has also learned, again primarily via Ai in more recent years, that it’s not 1995. It’s 2018 now, if you wanna’ sell something, you can’t just keep your MO from the 1980s: we’re not buying OVAs on laserdiscs ffs. Ai was short, and each episodic installment was very, very short. As Negishi stated, this was due to the company simply not having the capital to fund anything else–like, say, an OVA–at that point, and as a business person, Toru Miura wasn’t quite sure the gamble of splurging on yet another Tenchi property–after OVA 3 and SKT aka War on Geminar–would have a big enough payoff. But, this also meant that in our screen-saturated present reality, with a jillion other things competing for people’s attention, Ai was consumable. Anyone could find five minutes out of their day to catch a quick ep. It also came out every weekday for months in a row (unlike waiting months for one installment of an OVA), which means people didn’t forget about it easily. And, thanks to some dedicated outlets (*cough cough), it was easy to find on the internet, which means it was accessible.

The other thing about Ai…it was produced in an unorthodox–non-canonical, one might say–way! Students worked on it, Takahashi City put money up in a bid for increased tourism, ergo the risk was minimized to Miura and AIC (who again, only committed with the stipulation that each episode be a very limiting 5 min a piece). The crowdsourcing on Campfire or anywhere else is, again, a sign of desperation somewhat, but it’s also a sign that they’re finally getting with the times: lots of cool stuff is made nowadays almost entirely via crowdsourcing; I’m amazed it took AIC this long to get on the bandwagon (they still need to figure out this thing called “Twitter” and social media and the internet lol, but I guess one baby step at a time).

Now, as of this post, me not being very familiar with Campfire’s policies, the funding date has come and gone and they are well below their target amount of 10,000,000 yen (I think a little over a million)…I don’t know if this means it won’t be happening, or AIC’s just going to cover the rest of it (I don’t think that’s likely, so it’ll probably be in a state of limbo, but I could be wrong), or what, BUT I think it’s cool that a spin-off originally made to capitalize on Sailor Moon’s popularity got some attention. Whether it happens or not (and I hope one day it does), it shows that AIC’s finally realizing it’s the 21st century, and the Tenchi brand still has some mileage…you just gotta’ give people something other than Kaji’s forever-expanding, convoluted family tree of a sitcom once in a while to keep them interested (and to keep AIC afloat…as Ai proved most recently, the OVA needs somebody’s coattail to ride on, after all!).

EDIT: link to the crowdfunding site.

https://camp-fire.jp/updates/26931#menu” class=”bbcode_url”>https://camp-fire.jp/updates/26931#menu

Been over a month, any word on this suppose “Sequel” to Pretty Sammy?
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

captricosakara wrote:

Been over a month, any word on this suppose “Sequel” to Pretty Sammy?

Not 100% sure, but I think this was an “all or nothing” sort of fundraising campaign, and since it fell short of its goal…I don’t think it’s going to happen.

dawohki1

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.