Anime Reviews/Recommendation Thread

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Anime Reviews/Recommendation Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Okay, I wanted to salvage the review thread so I’m going to bring back a couple to start off because this usually helps me with recommendations to hear from someone who’s watched it firsthand!If you wrote a review in the old board and want it revived but can’t access it let me know and I’ll retrieve it and credit it for you ^_^!

The Verdict: 10/10, you NEED to watch this anime A.S.A.P. wink.gif !

Spice and Wolf trailer (Funimation website)

http://www.funimation.com/spiceandwolf/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.funimation.com/spiceandwolf/

Now, I don’t know how many of you have heard of this show, but all I knew before I watched it was the that the trailer made it look mildly amusing. However, I watched a few reviews for the show and my curiosity was piqued, which made me go onto Funimation’s website and watch a part of the first episode to test whether or not it had the substance to grip and entertain me. It did, so much so that I watched all of it and purchased the box set happy.gif!

Spice and Wolf utilizes an animation style that is very fitting to the setting and the tone of the story. Primary colors are used to illustrate the beauty of nature, candles cast realistic shadows, clothes are appropriate for the relative time period (roughly the latter half of feudalism, with Catholicism being the dominant sacred group of the time). Animations are fluid and detailed, and while combat sequences are few and far between, they always have the right amount of “oomph”. I never once felt that the show was going for anything other than a quasi-fantasy setting with, for the most part, realistic action.

The story of the show is excellent. The plot is original, a wolf goddess named Holo (you can call it Horo as much as you want, the Japanese don’t pronounce “L”s properly though so I’ll stick with Holo. Plus the creator specifically wanted the novels to translate “Horo” into “Holo” for the English editions.), meets a traveling peddler/merchant named Lawrence. After the two meet, Holo requests that she travel with Lawrence to the North (her homeland) with him. He decides to go along with her as he is heading in the same general direction for his trading routes. From there onward, the two partake in a journey that is filled with laughing, tender moments, and the occasional bout of danger. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, it managed to remain original with a completely uncommon setting and at the same time felt familiar. Holo being the mischievous and somewhat sardonic wolf goddess and Lawrence playing the part of the ever-serious, shy man. My only complaint with the story is that it doesn’t ever really conclude all that well. Thankfully there is a second season and if we’re lucky a third could be on the way as well!

Perhaps my favorite portion of this show was the audio. It captured my attention and heart in more ways than one. The sound effects (foley artist work) were absolutely beautiful in their realism. There’s actually one point early on where Holo grabs Lawrence’s coat sleeve and you can distinctly hear the faint rustle that one would actually hear if performing such an action. Now if you’re a dub person, you’re in great luck! The dub for Spice and Wolf is absolutely phenomenal. Brina Palencia IS Holo throughout the course of her performance. She effectively conveys every line, but never pushes her lines out into the realm of melodrama. Lawrence and Holo spend a great deal of time conversing, and I found myself enjoying their charming conversations more than their progress towards their ultimate goal of reaching the lands to the North.

Now I can’t give a review without mentioning one key thing. Spice and Wolf incorporates an interesting method, bringing the fundamentals of economics into an anime show. Now before you get all flustered, hold your horses. The economic discussion in Spice and Wolf is nothing too difficult, the discussion pieces are merely economic concepts that actually can be applied to the real-world. I found it interesting because Holo and Lawrence make almost a game of sorts with the discussion, calling each concept a “trick”. It kept my brain partially “on” while watching and allowed me to absorb more of the reasoning behind the actions of other characters. In short, the audio in the show is top-notch, something to delight the ears and bring a grin to the face of anyone that revels in audio excellence (I grinned a LOT ^_-).

I’m sure my final verdict isn’t going to be too difficult for anyone to discern. I enjoyed Spice and Wolf so much that I actually felt it deserved to bump out another show on my top five slot. It surpassed Dual and Evangelion (two mecha animes that I absolutely love) for its own title in my top five. This is actually a pretty rare occurrence, as once I find favorites, rarely do they get replaced so easily. However, I can honestly say, that if you have any interest in the fantasy genre, medieval/European feudalism themes, or perhaps you just dig girls with tails and ears(lol xD). you absolutely owe it to yourself to watch Spice and Wolf, it’s a title that older folks will enjoy, without anything graphic or disturbing really (no sex scenes, rape scenes [thank god, boy are these creepy], or pressurized arterial spray) await you in Spice and Wolf. Instead, you can be pleased to learn that you shall be charmed, you will see character development, and most importantly, you will be entertained ^_-. I give Spice and Wolf, a 10 out of 10.

Spice and Wolf is available from Funimation entertainment and can be purchased from rightstuf.com. Do yourself a favor, pick up a copy. Oh and once you watch it, keep in mind that a second season is already airing over in Japan. The second season may very well be picked up by Funimation also and hopefully will be out around this time next year if we’re lucky happy.gif! Of course this will only happen if it sells well, support the licensed release everyone!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss228/Akawoa/Spice%20and%20Wolf/Spice–Wolf-II.jpg" />

Viewing 124 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      Have you watched an anime recently that you want to just tell someone else about? Why not post it here, give a little blurb and maybe a link a picture so that we can get an idea of what it looks like! Have you seen anything you would like to recommend? Go ahead and let people know your thoughts, this can be a discussion thread as well! You’re also welcome to make a separate thread and write a review in it to get a chance to have other critique your writing style and to give a more in-depth look at whatever anime that you want to spread the knowledge of to others 8-) I’ll get us started!

! Give this one a look for sure if you want a gritty, zombie apocalypse show, and don’t mind the fanservice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=</YOUTUBE&gt;

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss228/Akawoa/high-school-of-the-dead.jpg" />

ryokofan21
      Just wanted to get this out of the way.

5 Centimeters Per Second

A Chain of Short Stories about their Distance

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_O9DNWuISJC8/S-AUGummTiI/AAAAAAAAASY/DfpNJTZcBhw/s1600/affiche-5-centimeters-per-second-byosoku-5-senchimetoru-2006-1.jpg" />

5 Centimeters Per Second is Makoto Shinkai’s latest production to hit the English speaking market. Dubbed first by ADV Films and then by Bandai. This film touches on the harsh reality of first loves that are never truly forgotten. This film is divided into 3 interconnected chapters. The story centers around the two main characters. Akari Shinohara and Takaki Tohno. It begins with the lyrical image of Cherry Blossoms falling at 5 Centimeters Per Second. They meet for the first time in elementary school. Due to being small for their age, they both prefer spending time in the Library as opposed to the playground. Akari and Takaki grow close to each other throughout the school year. However, due to the nature of their families work, they are separated after graduation. They keep in touch over time, and six months later Takaki receives the first letter from Akari. The two continue to write each other and another six months pass by before they decide to meet up in a train station just outside of Akari’s home town. That day after school Takaki heads straight for the station in anticipation of meeting Akari for the first time in a year. Then as if the universe itself is against him, heavy snowfall delays his train multiple times. At one point the train is stopped for 2 hours, putting him far past the time they were to meet. But holding back his tears he continues to head towards the station. Eventually through heavy snow he arrives at the station where he finds Akari still waiting for him long after the agreed time. From then on they spend the whole night just talking and being with each other( they do have a very romantic moment but I won’t spoil it.). The next morning the trains are working again and once more the two find themselves getting further and further apart. And thus ends the first story, Cherry Blossoms.

The second story, Cosmonaut, centers around Takaki’s high school life as well Kanae Sumida. The young lady who falls in love with him. Kanae’s story is that of a love that may or may not be. Ever since she first laid eyes on him she has been head over heels in love with Takaki. Yet, Takaki…doesn’t notice this. And it pains Kanae everyday that she doesn’t tell him how she feels. And it shows, it affects Kanae’s education, after school activities, and other aspects of her life. However, Kanae is not the only one who is silently suffering. All throughout Cosmonaut one thing that never leaves Takaki’s mind is his constant subconscience longing for Akari. But he is not aware of this yet. It happens the same way every time. In his dreams. He dreams of walking in a field on a strange planet with a girl, always the same girl. No matter how many times he has the same dream, he can never see her face. His dreams bring him a sense of nostalgia, a feeling of happiness. Happiness, to combat the pain of loneliness. A pain all too familiar for Kanae. Yet through perserverence, she eventually works up the courage to finally tell Takaki how she really feels. And yet, on the walk home, when presented with the oppurtunity. She can’t seem to find the strength to make the words come out. At that moment she comes to a very cold realization that Takaki is not looking at her. Always beyond her. And so having not said anything they both quietly walk home, and eventually go their separate ways.

The final chapter in this amazing film is 5 Centimeters Per Second. Focusing on Takaki’s adult life. Going through his life day by day he finds that is extremely depressed. Realizing that all of his hopes and dreams that he once held so dear…are gone. Even his current romance isn’t enough to satisfy him. Once again I won’t spoil it too much. Lets just say that life goes on yet Memories linger. Fleeting glances on the sidewalk, at the Theater, in the grocery store. Fragments of a happier time. This is by far my favorite film not only by Makoto Shinkai, but of all time. This is also the one film that has hit closest to home for me on a personal level. This masterpiece is joyfully depressing, wonderously lonely, and the most beautifully heart wrenching film I have ever seen. I recommend this film not only for the amazing story. But also for the fantastic music, the mesmerizing artwork, and the superb voice acting. On that note I previously stated that for this film there are two dubs. One from ADV Films, and one from Bandai. I highly recommend watching the ADV Dub first. The voice acting for that dub seems more, Genuine. Not that I have anything against the Bandai Dub cast. Just the opposite, Johnny Yong Bosch is cast as Takaki Tohno for the Bandai Dub. And I am a huge fan of Trigun. Its just like I said the ADV Dub seems more realistic and genuine. With that being said I highly recommend this great film. It should be seen by everyone. Even people who aren’t necessarily diehard anime fans. It’s a slice of life film I believe all of us can relate to on one level or another. This film truly belongs on the shelves of any and every anime fan.

devilbecka
      Can’t wait til i get this on dvd :D!!! thou it doesn’t come out til August 29
      Anonymous

devilbecka wrote:

Can’t wait til i get this on dvd :D!!! thou it doesn’t come out til August 29

Really? Aww it comes out the 28th of June here and Rightstuf mailed my copy three weeks early =3

devilbecka
      ya lucky sod XD
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I definitely gotta’ make it a point to see Highschool of the Dead. Been highly recommended by some friends of mine, & now on here… plus, I love most anything to do with zombies (waaay before it was “hip” thanks alot hot topic). Did hear there was an abundance of fan service–which even though I’m a guy, can sometimes be waaay overdone–but all-in-all I’ve heard nothing but good things about this anime.
      Anonymous

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

I definitely gotta’ make it a point to see Highschool of the Dead. Been highly recommended by some friends of mine, & now on here… plus, I love most anything to do with zombies (waaay before it was “hip” thanks alot hot topic). Did hear there was an abundance of fan service–which even though I’m a guy, can sometimes be waaay overdone–but all-in-all I’ve heard nothing but good things about this anime.

There’s a LOT of fanservice, but you just have to take it lightly and understand it’s part of the zombie/anime process xD. The action and story are both a lot of fun so I wouldn’t let it get you down. That being said, I wouldn’t consider watching it with family in the room 😆 (unless they’re accustomed to anime in general). That being said, everyone I’ve showed it to has loved it so far. The characters make the show for me, that and the zombies (I LOVE zombies myself so combining them with anime was bliss <3).

Sparkle
      Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8767/anohanav.jpg" />

(Anohana for short)

I can’t really describe this show without spoiling it (its all kinda revealed in the first episode anyways) but basically, it’s about 6 teenagers who drifted apart after being really close as children due to an incident. The series is about them reuniting, with a supernatural twist. Sort of. It’s hard to explain without spoiling anything haha! It’s only 11 episodes (a perfect series to Marathon, like Eden of the East) and it is a complete sobfest <3 Seriously, it’s almost as sad as Clannad: Afterstory, but it also has a bit of humor about it (: It has a really nice nostalgic feel about it, and it’s so easy to emphasise with the characters. If you’re looking for something quick to watch, but want it still to be a deep and compelling story, then this is for you. (:

Anonymous
      Since I just received my set, I figured I would bring back this recommendation, because it truly deserves it

HYPER POLICE

http://www.darkharbor.com/noriko/hyperpolice/images/hpgroup.jpg" />

An overlooked gem from the late 90’s. Hyper Police follows the story of a privitized police company centered in Shinjuku, the mythical city of the beasts. Because of Human folly, Demons, Humans and Beasts all live together, which means the peace is never there for long. This is the first time since Tenchi Muyo where I just couldn’t pick a favorite character, they were all just that cool. This anime has a little bit of everything for everybody so I doubt you won’t find something to like. Whether you’re into Animal people (Catgirls ftw), Samurai and Ninja action, Bounty Hunters, a little bit of slice of life, you name it, this has it (There’s even anime cameo’s like Sasami in episode 16!)

All in all, if you have a chance to get it or watch it, Don’t you dare miss it ^_-

Anonymous

peruano99 wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

Since I just received my set, I figured I would bring back this recommendation, because it truly deserves it

HYPER POLICE

An overlooked gem from the late 90’s. Hyper Police follows the story of a privitized police company centered in Shinjuku, the mythical city of the beasts. Because of Human folly, Demons, Humans and Beasts all live together, which means the peace is never there for long. This is the first time since Tenchi Muyo where I just couldn’t pick a favorite character, they were all just that cool. This anime has a little bit of everything for everybody so I doubt you won’t find something to like. Whether you’re into Animal people (Catgirls ftw), Samurai and Ninja action, Bounty Hunters, a little bit of slice of life, you name it, this has it (There’s even anime cameo’s like Sasami in episode 16!)

All in all, if you have a chance to get it or watch it, Don’t you dare miss it ^_-

Nice show… where is it being sold?

I’d try here first

Anonymous
      There are good anime movies

There are great anime movies

There are classic anime movies

and then there is REDLINE

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/3695/221954-2267435590103358344s600x600q85_large.jpg" />

I was going to wait until the dub was released but thought “Nah I’ll give it a watch” and I honestly cannot describe to you the experience, other then just saying “Redline” over and over again, there is a reason this movie has been hyped for the last 2 years and continues to win countless movie festival and animation awards. The movie was perfect, absolutely 1000% perfect, there is a point where whats on screen looks so good and visually appealing to the senses that you are pretty much in a Euphoric state for an hour and 45 minutes, lol Needless to say, I had to watch a GREAT movie just to get my expectations down to normal again, lol

DO NOT PASS THIS MOVIE UP, and if at all possible, watch it on the biggest screen you can get to, to simulate a Movie Theater screen, just wow….that poster says it all

devilbecka
      HIGH SCHOOL OF THE DEAD!!

okay guys i just recently purchased this and i tell you. BLoody wicked! im not a one for high school anime (thou i do like azumanga dioh) or anything but im loving it im up too episode 5 it has like those funny moments at the right time not too much but serious and psycho times are perfect…i sometimes laugh cause its so amazing XD its crazy yet bloody good! it defys everything you expect to a high school anime i give it a 8/10 for first impressions

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=high+schoolof+the+dead&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1152&bih=763&tbm=isch&tbnid=6ACHve18_aR-ZM:&imgrefurl=http://www.store88.com/high-school-dead-p-526.html&docid=SamB2X_sWdTvSM&w=369&h=525&ei=n5FmTs_WDYbd4QTtt4iZCg&zoom=1" />

thanks for recommending this to me akawoa!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I second that becka! Granted, there is a ridiculous amount of fan service (I’ll leave that up to you whether that’s a pro or a con) but other than that just a great series overall– the plot’s not super original, but it’s a classicl…zombie apocalypse!–fantastic characters, great group dynamic, & like becka said it’s just a blast to watch, great anime for a weekend with friends. Totally worth checking out if you’re into zombies (and/or hot chicks with weapons) ;)

Is there really only 12 episodes? Isn’t there more??? There has to be more!!!

It’s already perfect. 👿
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD!

^It was just getting really good at the end! They were just getting used to being a team, acting as a cohesive unit, now there’s time to strengthen bonds, test those relationships, more character development (which it already has some good, more would be better). Plus, watching all the blood & gore & mayhem of zombie slaying, 12 episodes is enough? Well, not for me, no sir. It left me wanting more (& that’s how I know it was good) :)

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I’ve finally found time to sit down and finish the English version of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, & all I can say is: wow 😯 It’s fantastic; not only is it worth watching, it is worthy of sitting on any anime fan’s shelf, & a must-have for any sized collection.

http://images.wikia.com/fma/images/b/be/Brotherhooddvd.jpg" />

*(I’ll try very hard not to post anything remotely close to a spoiler).

I can’t go into great detail on this first part (because I don’t know details) but if ‘Fulllmetal Alchemist’ rings any bells right off, there’s good reason for that. There was an entirely separate series before Brotherhood around 2005 (don’t quote me on that). It was very popular, but due to the fact that the manga was still being written at the time, the series had to go in a different direction storywise/plotwise than the manga. It was good, but after seeing both series in their entirety, I will say without hesitation that in my modest opinion, Brotherood is superior (even though I’ve not read the manga). It’s better animation, plot, more characters, much more development of characters, just better all around.

If you don’t know the plot/have never even heard of Fulllmetal Alchemist, I’ll leave you to look up a plot synopsis if you wish (or better yet, just start watching it!) but basically it follows two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric, in their quest to get something of theirs they’ve lost (due to their own hubris/strong, genuine desire to bring back a lost loved-one from the grave). Although there are many fantastic elements, & the narrative takes place in a fictional world (it is definitely meant to resemble our world, paralleling perhaps an early 19th century western Europe), the journey we are taken on with Edward, Alphonse and the many interesting and colorful characters they meet along the way is one of a journey not only through these various people’s personal ambitions/struggles/lives, it is also a journey through the human psyche, hitting on almost every major theme out there about human existence: what it really means to be human, how we interact with each other/co-exist as humanity, the existence of God/a higher power (or lack thereof), morality (societal, personal, religious), core beliefs, virtues, balancing the advances of science with ethics, religion/spirituality…like I said, you name it, there’s traces of it in here. By analyzing the main antagonists of the series, huamoid creatures called homunculi we get a rare opportunity to really analyze and evaluate what it means to be human, and all that comes along with it–the good, bad and everything inbetween– from the outside looking in, from the perspective of these inhuman creatures. This inevitably leads us to examine not only humanity in general on all levels (past and present societies, nationalities, etc.) but also humans on an individual level, & ultimately most intimately, ourselves.

& powerful symbolism, thought-provoking themes aside, it’s just a great experience overall: there’s sooo many fascinating characters, all of which are amazingly human (even the non-human ones) whether they be ‘good guys’, ‘bad guys’ something in-between, or the just plain disturbing, the characters are an amazing spectacle all on their own.

Add that to a compelling, very original plot, a believable world in which the events unfold, great settings, and fantastic animation with all sorts of elemental alchemy thrown every-which direction sometimes at a million miles an hour, there are sequences which are sure to leave you on the edge of your seat. There are also times which will make you genuinely laugh out loud, feel every other sort of emotion for different characters–pity, empathy, fear, excitement– & may even make you cry at times. Thanks to awe-invoking visual effects, beautifully developed characters, and an amazing group of VA’s, this experience known as Fullmetal Alchemist will draw you in from the very start right to the adrenaline-pumping and maybe even tear-jerking end. I could not recommend this action/drama/comedy/slice-of-life/thriller/romance/philosophical inquiry-provoking (ok, I’m rambling a bit, but you get the idea) anime any more. SEE THIS ANIME! You won’t be disappointed.

http://www.animemerchandise.net/images/822_fullmetal_alchemist_brotherhood_group_at_rockbells_shop_anime_wall_scroll_53.jpg" />

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

paralleling perhaps an early 19th century western Europe

20th, actually. :geek:

Otherwise, it gets my highest seal of approval. ;)

franzycat
      So, aside from all the shows that were on Toonami at the time, I’d have to recommend..

..Zettai Karen Children. It’s not dubbed, but you can find translations and subs on the internet.

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/2/11629.jpg" />

Essentially, it’s about a top-secret government agency called “Babel” (that’s an acronym for something, but I dunno. Something something backing something labratory), which deals with ESPers (people who have telekinetic powers). The main three characters are 10 year old girls, who are the strongest ESPers in the nation – level 7’s.

There’s Kaoru (the redhead and the pervert of the group), who has a form of telekinesis that lets her pick up objects using her mind. She can throw them around and stuff. When she uses attacks, she tends to tack “Psychic” on the front of it, and the object and action she’s doing, such as, “Psychic airplane stopper!” or something to that effect.

Then there’s Aoi (bluish-black hair and glasses), who can teleport, and Shiho (white hair), who can read minds. All three of them can fly. They’re lead by Minamoto (the brown haired man with glasses, their supervisor and guardian. There are a lot of fun hijinks and shenanigans that sometimes remind me of Tenchi Muyo, in a way (but that might just be me..). You could watch the anime or read the manga.. it’s up to you. I prefer the manga, though. :Yaya:

..I’m bad at summaries. xDD

Anonymous

franzycat wrote:

So, aside from all the shows that were on Toonami at the time, I’d have to recommend..

..Zettai Karen Children. It’s not dubbed, but you can find translations and subs on the internet.

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/2/11629.jpg" />

That’s very interesting, a shounen show, with what looks like an all female lead cast, I’ve been wanting to get into another shounen show that wasn’t well……shounen? xD

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Dagon123 wrote:

That’s very interesting, a shounen show, with what looks like an all female lead cast, I’ve been wanting to get into another shounen show that wasn’t well……shounen? xD

Soon to be easier to see…

kazuki
      Participant
      http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/12/kenshin4.jpg" />

Rurouni Kenshin Live Action

Highly Recommended….. This one will kick ass.

http://74.220.219.70/~critiqu2/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/rurouni-kenshin-shin-kyoto-hen.jpg" />

A little letdown, nothing new, just a remake of the Kyoto Arc, they should have made the Jinchuu Arc than this. But I still recommend it.

jgzinv
      One of these days I’ll finish RK… I heard the ending is where he dies of disease… and I’d rather just

let Kenshin and crew live on in memory.

Last Exile Fam the Silver Wing is just about to it’s halfway point, it’s pretty similar to the original.

Maybe slower than the original in the beginning.

I still recommend Ah My Goddess the movie.

I hear the new Eureka 7 anime is coming out shortly, the first manga chapter is already out. Should be interesting.

Now if we could just get some new Read or Die….

There is a new ROD manga with a entirely different Yomiko.I think I read about it on ANN or some other similiar site.

This one is supposed to be darker than the original.

jgzinv
      Posted to my FB.

I know not everyone enjoys watching animated movies, but having watched Summer Wars I think it’s a movie everyone would benefit from watching. There’s so many things that can be taken from it. It’s about family, even if that family doesn’t get along all the time, you’re still family. It’s about not giving up, you’re not defeated even at the last possible second. It’s about finding that one thing you’re good at and using it to better the world, even if you don’t think it’s that great. It’s about passing on your love to others. It’s maybe even about finding home. It’s stupid and silly, serious and tense. It’s a fun ride. So I recommend it with a resounding Koi-Koi! I suggest the subs from http://www.goodanime.net/summer-wars but you’ll need a full compliment of ad blockers running.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Feh, I bought it at Walmart.
      jgzinv
      I have to say I saw the dub trailers that funi did while trying to find a download…

As usual they screwed it up… among other changes, “Please be quiet I’m trying to concentrate!” got turned into “Shut up!”

which I don’t think fits in that situation. I’d rather stick with the sub.

How is Dance In The Vampire Bund?Anyone read the manga or seen the anime?
      Division
      Participant
      It’s actually really good. A bit extreme on the “loli” side in a few instances, but otherwise great quality.
      I was wondering about adding it to my collection.I still need to get the Hell Girl anime as I have the first four volumes of the

manga.

Well I finished Buso Renkin and except for a few scenes in a couple episodes it’s not bad.If you like Bleach,but not the

whole 100s of episodes worth of filler,try Buso Renkin.

Oh,and on an entirely different note,I am thinking of getting the live action Blood,The Last Vampire.

Sounds a bit like ABC’s Once Upon The Time sans Wicked Queen and Curse.
      I see I need to get some help prioritizing what I should get now.So many good old and new ones around and so little space

to store new purchases.

jgzinv
      This is why we have multi terabyte hard drives…
      Anonymous

mitsuki lover wrote:

I see I need to get some help prioritizing what I should get now.So many good old and new ones around and so little space

to store new purchases.

Well if you list some of the shows you’re looking at and the genres you tend to prefer then I’d be willing to help you out with it if I’ve seen them on the list ^_^. I always trust personal recommendations I get from here more than the ones from random reviewers because you all tend to have interests that fall in line with my own.

jgzinv
      Hand Maid May reminded me of Chobits and Love Hina a little. Lots of fanservice though.

It didn’t really go anywhere… or have any profound meaning, or even tell you “the choice” – but it was ok fluff I guess.

Well you can always look at the list that I posted elsewhere.My tastes tend to be eclectic,though no hentai.

I just sent in my order for Ikki-tousen and Moon Phase to Rightstuf today.(Yeah for Gotanime! :washu: )

Hmmm,well FWIW I like especially: Magic Girl,Mecha,Harem Comedy,Sci Fi,Horror(but not slasher type),Fantasy,Slice of

Life,or a combination of two or more.I’m not offended by fanservice(if I were I wouldn’t have bought Rosario to Vampire or

ordered Ikki-tousen).Before I finish collecting I would like to get a good balance of classic and more current series.

Perfer subs now a days.

Favorite female seiyuus:Inoue Kikoue,Tanaka Rei,Hayasbaria(sp?)Megumi,Doi Mika,Yukana,Yokayama Chisa,etc.

I meant of course Hayasabara Megumi,and I need to add Horie Yui as well.
      Anonymous
      Well just finished it over the weekend and wanted to give it my full endorsement because it was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=</YOUTUBE&gt;

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/Shiki_91/Darker%20than%20Black%20Series/Darker%20than%20Black%20Ryuusei%20no%20Gemini/DarkerthanBlackRyuuseinoGemini14.jpg" />

I finally saw the sub version of Armitage III:Dual Matrix yesterday and it was totally kick butt badass.

I especially loved the irony of how the villian was finally killed.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Whilst shopping this weekend I happened upon dvd of Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos & it is fan-freakin-tastic!!! Having heard nothing about it prior to purchasing it (yes, be shocked at how out-of-the-loop I manage to be) with the art style used and given the absence of ‘Brotherhood’ in the title, I at first thought it was set in the canon of the first series. This is not the case, however, & it is in fact set in the world of Brotherhood sometime after Al retrieved his memories of ‘The Truth’ & is able to transmute without a circle (given Ed’s knowledge of this, it must also be sometime after the brothers’ first encounter with Ling).

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/Fullmetal-Alchemist-Movie-2-The-Sacred-Star-of-Milos.png" />

But I didn’t fuss with the details on when exactly it fit into the timeline because I was too engaged in a fantastic story. New characters, new exotic scenery, same ol’ Ed n’ Al kickin ass, takin names, saving the world, that sorta thing. With Bones behind the animation (& of course the success of Fullmetal Alchemist franchise in general) the animation and effects were spectacular, but as usual with Fullmetal Alchemist, it was the story that kept me engaged, filled with memorable characters we can sympathize with and root for, and set in faraway lands that, as new and exotic as they may be, mirror our world and the follies and shortcomings of humanity all too well. In short, if you love Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood or otherwise) I can’t see anyone not enjoying this edition into the fantastic–and yet familiar–world of Hiromu Arawaka, and if this movie is any indication (in terms of its reception, financial success and the story itself) I think we’ll be seeing more untold stories of our favorite duo of Alchemist brothers in the future. With plenty of room within this world for new characters, more in-depth revelations of familiar fan-favorites, and the prospect of new secrets to uncover within alchemy (and the inevitability that some power-hungry egomaniac will try to utilize such means to their own destructive ends) I think there’s plenty of potential for new adventures for Ed and Al in the future.

For those of us who haven’t been interested in FMA since the original anime ended its original airing on AS would you

still recommend it?

jgzinv
      You should watch FMA Brotherhood as it actually follows the manga precisely.

What CN showed was the first series and split from the manga and ended with the Conquer of Shambala movie.

This Star of Milos one follows Brotherhood, which… I think it took a little too much license or stretching of stuff like

the philosophers stone, the city, some other things. But it had a few good parts too. I wouldn’t necessarily run out to buy it,

it’s a fine rental IMO. Bit on the dark side for kids.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

For those of us who haven’t been interested in FMA since the original anime ended its original airing on AS would you

still recommend it?

I think I agree with JGZinv, I definitely recommend watching Brotherhood series if you liked original FMA series. This film is kind of ‘added on’ so it isn’t entirely necessary to watch any of Brotherhood before hand, but it might make it more enjoyable (they maybe make a slight reference or two to the series in the movie, but nothing essential to the plot).

Chronologically speaking it’s somewhere kind of in the middle of the Brotherhood series, but where exactly I’m not sure, so if you were to attempt to watch the series & movie respectively in correct chronological order, it would be ‘series up until at least when Ed and Al meet a main character named Ling’ then ‘Sacred Star of Milos’ then ‘the rest of Brotherhood.’

In short, it’s kind of made assuming the viewers have seen Brotherhood, so if you haven’t seen Brotherhood series, as Z-man said unless you’ve got the money to burn I wouldn’t say rush out & buy it immediately. Maybe start up Brotherhood to ‘get back into it’ so to speak (I think it’s on netflix streaming now, most of it anyways) & if you find yourself enjoying it & just have to watch more FMAB (as I did lol) go for it.

It all rather depends.

Akawoa wrote:

Okay, I wanted to salvage the review thread so I’m going to bring back a couple to start off because this usually helps me with recommendations to hear from someone who’s watched it firsthand!If you wrote a review in the old board and want it revived but can’t access it let me know and I’ll retrieve it and credit it for you ^_^!

The Verdict: 10/10, you NEED to watch this anime A.S.A.P. wink.gif !

Spice and Wolf trailer (Funimation website)

http://www.funimation.com/spiceandwolf/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.funimation.com/spiceandwolf/

Now, I don’t know how many of you have heard of this show, but all I knew before I watched it was the that the trailer made it look mildly amusing. However, I watched a few reviews for the show and my curiosity was piqued, which made me go onto Funimation’s website and watch a part of the first episode to test whether or not it had the substance to grip and entertain me. It did, so much so that I watched all of it and purchased the box set happy.gif!

Spice and Wolf utilizes an animation style that is very fitting to the setting and the tone of the story. Primary colors are used to illustrate the beauty of nature, candles cast realistic shadows, clothes are appropriate for the relative time period (roughly the latter half of feudalism, with Catholicism being the dominant sacred group of the time). Animations are fluid and detailed, and while combat sequences are few and far between, they always have the right amount of “oomph”. I never once felt that the show was going for anything other than a quasi-fantasy setting with, for the most part, realistic action.

The story of the show is excellent. The plot is original, a wolf goddess named Holo (you can call it Horo as much as you want, the Japanese don’t pronounce “L”s properly though so I’ll stick with Holo. Plus the creator specifically wanted the novels to translate “Horo” into “Holo” for the English editions.), meets a traveling peddler/merchant named Lawrence. After the two meet, Holo requests that she travel with Lawrence to the North (her homeland) with him. He decides to go along with her as he is heading in the same general direction for his trading routes. From there onward, the two partake in a journey that is filled with laughing, tender moments, and the occasional bout of danger. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, it managed to remain original with a completely uncommon setting and at the same time felt familiar. Holo being the mischievous and somewhat sardonic wolf goddess and Lawrence playing the part of the ever-serious, shy man. My only complaint with the story is that it doesn’t ever really conclude all that well. Thankfully there is a second season and if we’re lucky a third could be on the way as well!

Perhaps my favorite portion of this show was the audio. It captured my attention and heart in more ways than one. The sound effects (foley artist work) were absolutely beautiful in their realism. There’s actually one point early on where Holo grabs Lawrence’s coat sleeve and you can distinctly hear the faint rustle that one would actually hear if performing such an action. Now if you’re a dub person, you’re in great luck! The dub for Spice and Wolf is absolutely phenomenal. Brina Palencia IS Holo throughout the course of her performance. She effectively conveys every line, but never pushes her lines out into the realm of melodrama. Lawrence and Holo spend a great deal of time conversing, and I found myself enjoying their charming conversations more than their progress towards their ultimate goal of reaching the lands to the North.

Now I can’t give a review without mentioning one key thing. Spice and Wolf incorporates an interesting method, bringing the fundamentals of economics into an anime show. Now before you get all flustered, hold your horses. The economic discussion in Spice and Wolf is nothing too difficult, the discussion pieces are merely economic concepts that actually can be applied to the real-world. I found it interesting because Holo and Lawrence make almost a game of sorts with the discussion, calling each concept a “trick”. It kept my brain partially “on” while watching and allowed me to absorb more of the reasoning behind the actions of other characters. In short, the audio in the show is top-notch, something to delight the ears and bring a grin to the face of anyone that revels in audio excellence (I grinned a LOT ^_-).

I’m sure my final verdict isn’t going to be too difficult for anyone to discern. I enjoyed Spice and Wolf so much that I actually felt it deserved to bump out another show on my top five slot. It surpassed Dual and Evangelion (two mecha animes that I absolutely love) for its own title in my top five. This is actually a pretty rare occurrence, as once I find favorites, rarely do they get replaced so easily. However, I can honestly say, that if you have any interest in the fantasy genre, medieval/European feudalism themes, or perhaps you just dig girls with tails and ears(lol xD). you absolutely owe it to yourself to watch Spice and Wolf, it’s a title that older folks will enjoy, without anything graphic or disturbing really (no sex scenes, rape scenes [thank god, boy are these creepy], or pressurized arterial spray) await you in Spice and Wolf. Instead, you can be pleased to learn that you shall be charmed, you will see character development, and most importantly, you will be entertained ^_-. I give Spice and Wolf, a 10 out of 10.

Spice and Wolf is available from Funimation entertainment and can be purchased from rightstuf.com. Do yourself a favor, pick up a copy. Oh and once you watch it, keep in mind that a second season is already airing over in Japan. The second season may very well be picked up by Funimation also and hopefully will be out around this time next year if we’re lucky happy.gif! Of course this will only happen if it sells well, support the licensed release everyone!

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss228/Akawoa/Spice%20and%20Wolf/Spice–Wolf-II.jpg" />

I have been thinking of getting this series but the price was a bit too much.However since I now have Gotanime I might

rethink and buy it one of these days.

As far as the economic part of the series goes,what school would it hold to do you think? :sign:

I”s/I”s Pure

2 OVAs with a total of 8 episodes(2 I”s and 6 I”s Pure + 5 minisodes of Ichitaka Delusional Diaries following ep.1-5

of I”s Pure)

Main Characters:Ichitaka,Iori and Itsuki.

Synopsis:Ichitaka is a typical anime teen male.Typical in that he is totally indecisive in which girl he likes better.

Is it Iori,the girl of his dreams whose own dream is one day to become an actress,or Itsuki the tomboy who has been

his best friend since elementary school?

Trivia:I”s and I”s Pure have two different casts even though the characters are the same.

Both the seiyuus who voiced Iori also worked on Blassreiter.

Ichitaka’s parents only appear in episode 1 and 6 of I”s Pure,with his father only appearing in the latter episode.

I”s takes place over the course of a single day,but I”s Pure over the course of a year.

Age Rating M for Mature

Comment:There is some violence in both OVAs and both include storyline invovling obsessed stalkers after Iori.In I”s

it’s a motorcycle gang,while in I”s Pure it is a former schoolmate.In both cases Itchaka tries to do his best to protect

her.There are also the Delusional Diaries that follow I”s Pure episodes 1-5.They are probably the most risque part of the entire series.Though in the end they are all dreams that Ichitaka has.

Who Would Like It:Anyone who likes shows like KOR should give it a try.It’s a bit more adult than KOR and without the

ESPER gimmick or younger fraternal twin sisters.It still has at least one perveted friend though! 😆

jgzinv
      I cried a little on the inside… little manly tears.

http://www.goodanime.net/k-on-movie

Required viewing K-On S1 and S2.

http://www.goodanime.net/category/k-on/page/2

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      For the anime uninitiated (A.K.A. Noobs) such as myself, could you tell us a little about this anime JG? I’m always up for new anime, but I like to know a little about it first.
      jgzinv
      Probably better described over mumble….

But it’s high school girls that come together to make a light music club. It’s very much slice of life or fluff. Sort of the polar opposite of Beck (Anime). The songs used in the series are.. mediocre at least to my taste wise, but they fit the premise/theme. The CD singles and ED’s usually we a lot better/mature sounding.

K-on’s often hated on from the anti-moe type of folk, which is part of the humor and cute element of it.

The series was the first to actually break the barrier to musical instrument companies actually using real instruments in an anime… created a giant wave of kids wanting to get into music. Youtube’s flooded with covers of various k-on songs, some good some bad of course. Music shops across Japan were sold out for a while.

S1 was good, S2 rehashed some things and was disappointing in that they didn’t go where they said they would and ended on a sad note. The movie basically rewrote the end of S2 and made it better, still little bit of a heart puller, but better.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Thanks JG, it sounds like something I would definitely be interested in trying! I’ll add it to the ever growing list of animes I need to watch!
      Any noob should of course try Trigun.Especially if you like Sci Fi Western/Comedies.

For fanservicey types try Omamori Himari.I don’t know if it’s been licensed yet but you can always try

Youtube.

I also finished Tokyo Mew Mew last Saturday,so if there are any other hardcore Magic Girl fans out there who haven’t seen the uncut and unedited version see if you can find it on the ‘net and enjoy. isawitplz

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

you can always try

Youtube.

ughh… why? :P

Better yet buy the manga.I think vol.8 is coming out sooner or later.Now if they would just get around to licensing the series!

My favorite Omamori Himari character would be Himari(got to love a catgirl that fights using a sword).

Lizlet would be up there with TMOHS’ Mirkuru as favorite moe character.

btw the final scene of the series is hysterical:when their teacher and friends discover

all the girls living with Yuuto.

After viewing Revolutionary Girl Utena ep.1 yesterday night and still being in a daze over it,I would highly recommend this classic.Though you should be prepared for some of the wildest and trippingest animation

of all time(and that’s just the OP!) isawitplz

Seriously,this is a must watch.

Since it seems no one here has recommended it yet, I’m going to say it- Baccano! is a hella tight anime spanning three different stories over a course of two years (with a brief jaunt to the 1700’s) covering a large cast of characters, each with their own eccentricities/backgrounds/motivations/etc, and a storytelling style seen once before in ‘Pulp Fiction’- yeah, it’s disjointed, and for the better. It’s a short one relatively speaking (13 episodes broadcast with 3 DVD exclusive episodes, making for a total run of 16 episodes), but one you wouldn’t want to miss out on.
      I highly recommend anyone who has enjoyed Tokko to try Blassreiter.It’s similiar in a way but with motorcycles instead of swords and set in Germany.Plenty of action but the poor XAT have a tendcy to get their butts kicked.
      WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

I highly recommend anyone who has enjoyed Tokko to try Blassreiter.It’s similiar in a way but with motorcycles instead of swords and set in Germany.Plenty of action but the poor XAT have a tendcy to get their butts kicked.

You piqued my interest in Blassreiter… until you said it was like Tokko, one of my least favorite anime of all time. I felt that it was one of the worst pieces of crap I’ve ever wasted my time watching. Anything else you can tell me about Blassreiter or is it so much like Tokko that I just shouldn’t bother with it?

Almael
      Action & storywise it’s your typical evil/massacre anime with scifi stuff like Mospedia. For the most part its about average but it’s about one of the rare animes with the “Tomino kill them all” disease. The last episodes are best. At least watch those. 😉
      Another one to recommend, if someone’s looking for something a little more darker and serious, is Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade. Set in an alternate history 1950’s Japan (where the Nazis invaded them), society is at a critical point where clashes between militaristic police forces and the people are more common than not. The more elite of these groups (the titular Wolf Brigade) are a fearsome bunch- clad in heavy armor and sporting MG42 machine guns, they’re not to be toyed with.

The movie itself focuses on Kazuki Fuse, who at the beginning of the film is sentenced for disobeying an order to kill a female suicide bomber in front of him. After a trial-by-committee, he’s used as a scapegoat and is forced into punitive retraining. Along the way, he meets a girl who claims to be the older sister of the girl who blew herself up in front of him earlier.

To go any further with the plot on my part would be spoiling an excellent movie. Even with all the references that one could try to take from ‘Little Red Riding Hood’, this movie is actually referencing the older tale called ‘Red Cap’, which has Red visiting her mother instead of her grandmother. That tale, after reading it myself (and read word for word in the movie) is dark. The visuals back this up, with lighting only seemingly being in the daytime, and when gunfire erupts in the dark alleyways and sewers of this facist Japan.

Be warned- this is not for the faint of heart.

Yeah,I read about Jin-Roh,it’s one of the most critically acclaimed anime movies of all time from what I understand.
      And understandably so- it’s the brainchild of Mamoru Oshii (who wrote it).
      Oshii is an acquired taste as his movies tend to get complex.
      His stuff’s for the more serious viewer… save for those Tachikoma. :Tenchismile:
      After finishing it yesterday night I would highly recommend Ikki-tousen to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

The one caveat is that this is rated Ma for Mature audiences because of the violence,some sexual content

and it being a bit ecchi and fanservicey.Otherwise good fun series.

mitsuki lover wrote:

After finishing it yesterday night I would highly recommend Ikki-tousen to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet.

The one caveat is that this is rated Ma for Mature audiences because of the violence,some sexual content

and it being a bit ecchi and fanservicey.Otherwise good fun series.

Can I hug you now or later?

I’m not a hugging person.

So I am now two episodes away from finishing what I have of Fushigi Yugi(basically the first 20

episodes),There is a definite reason why this is a classic.That said I think my one complaint of the series thus far is that the VILLIANS(i.e. Yui,Nakago and the Seiryu Seven)are more interesting than the

HEROES(i.e.Miaka,Tamahome and the Suzaku Seven).That said if you haven’t seen it yet and enjoy

fantasy shows along the lines of Inuyasha and Escaflowne,well why haven’t you picked it up yet?

This is something that needs to be on many an otaku’s video shelf.Especially if you love ’90s anime.

I know there’s at least one OVA out as well,but get the original series first.

Almael
      Actually, it’s 52 eps long + 3 OVA. And yes, it has some good eps after 20. Although, I admit it’s not as good at the end or in the OVA. And it’s more along the lines of El-Hazard, Escaflowne and a dozen of other good classics. Some of which are only in manga form.
      glashrine
      i like vintage stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls3x-pBCowo

‘Outlanders’, although just an OAV of 45-50 minutes, is a fun romp. Basic setup- alien princess comes to Earth, looking for a potential mate. Young, nubile Japanese photographer comes up as she’s laying waste to the local military forces left and right. She connects with him romantically almost instantaneously… him, not so much.

Sure, it seems contrived. But this was the 80’s… and this WAS one of AIC’s first projects before doing ‘Tenchi Muyo’.

glashrine
      watching jin-roh now…its fascinating.thank you for the recommendation.

glashrine wrote:

watching jin-roh now…its fascinating.thank you for the recommendation.

No problem, duder.

glashrine
      so much of the content of Jin-Roh, if not all of it, is actually happening as we speak all over the world.so crazy.
      jgzinv
      Having fun watching The Pet Girl of Sakura Hall… or Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

It’s still running as an anime now, last 5 eps haven’t been released. But 19 are.

I’ll write a proper review of it after the last ep, But the first 13 are on Hulu, the

others can be found subbed online.

Disclaimer: some fanservice. Though it’s probably no worse than say Ai Yori Aoshi.

..and don’t go to wikipedia! Freakin spoilers!

As far as Outlanders go I have the 20th anniversary edition in my collection.The fun thing about the dub is that the photographer is actually played by “Goku” himself.Before I switched from dubs to subs and watched

it for the first time it kinda freaked me hearing “Goku”‘s voice.

mitsuki lover wrote:

As far as Outlanders go I have the 20th anniversary edition in my collection.The fun thing about the dub is that the photographer is actually played by “Goku” himself.Before I switched from dubs to subs and watched

Same here- wait… THAT’S GOKU!?!?!?!?

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

Before I switched from dubs to subs and watched

For the second dub, anyway. 😉

It’s the “Golden Boy” himself in Japanese.

This is what happens if you don’t “study, study, study!” 😎

Nobuyuki wrote:

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

Before I switched from dubs to subs and watched

For the second dub, anyway. 😉

It’s the “Golden Boy” himself in Japanese.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Golden Boy.

Any way Kahm is my favorite Outlanders character.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Golden Boy.

😮 😮 😮 😮 😮

You must remedy that.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Op-MtftCyw[/BBvideo]

Almael
      Just a note: Golden Boy is no classic and it’s rated mature so it’s against the rules of this thread.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Almael wrote:

Just a note: Golden Boy is no classic and it’s rated mature so it’s against the rules of this thread.

I can find no such rule (or any rule for that matter) for this thread. As a matter of fact, the very first recommendation made by the OP of this thread (not counting the one recovered from a previous board) is High School of the Dead, which is also rated TV MA. No rules of the forum as a whole have been broken either, as neither the recommendation itself nor the short video Nobuyuki posted were pornographic. If you don’t agree with a recommendation made in this thread you are free to make an argument against it (preferably one more substantial than it’s “no classic”), but double check before you accuse someone of breaking the rules.

Anonymous

Almael wrote:

It’s not against the rules, Ecchi, very, but not against the rules

also

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/24464000/ngbbs510a142b90859.jpg" />

Most people I’ve talked to from back in the day consider Golden Boy a classic (myself included), especially BECAUSE of the dub

Dagon123 wrote:

Almael wrote:

It’s not against the rules, Ecchi, very, but not against the rules

also

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/24464000/ngbbs510a142b90859.jpg" />

Most people I’ve talked to from back in the day consider Golden Boy a classic (myself included), especially BECAUSE of the dub

Hmm… ADV dubbed it. No wonder.

Ballsmagee01
      id recommend Elfen Lied if your not squeamish and can handle ALOT of blood gore language and nudity. its 13 episodes long and intensely great 1111 :D
      I recommend Great Teacher Onizuka. Classroom drama/comedy/ecchi… and it’ll make you break out crying at times. I can’t explain why- it’s just awesome like that.
      I need only volumes 1 & 2 to complete Elfen Lied as I already have volumes 3 & 4.

Live actionwise I heartedly recommend Cutie Honey:The Movie.Though I think I said that before,bares repeating.

Great fun and campy superhero movie.Will give you an entire new view of bubblewrap!!!! 😆 😆 😆

After watching all 24 episodes I recommend Blassreiter.Though be aware it is rated MA for mature.

One thing I have to say after watching a bit of the director interview is that I was wrong,it isn’t

CGI but 3 D but since I don’t have a HDTV set the effect is pretty much the same.

Overall it’s a pretty good combination of horror and mecha with bit of the Apocalypse thrown in for good measure.The religious aspects of the show get more and more pronounced toward the end,so also

be aware of that.

Overall I would have to boost my final grade for it from B+ of my original assessment to an A-.

Ballsmagee01
      hey i got another one for you guys. Fate Stay Night and Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. both are fantastic and probly have the best fights in it as well. also the sound track is also amazing. :D
      Persona 4: The Animation was a lot “funner” than I had anticipated it to be.
      jgzinv
      Okay so it’s been a while since I did any legitimate reviews of things I’ve watched. For whatever reason it’s been nagging me lately to get back at writing a little, so here this be. Some of these I’ve not watched in a couple months, so it’s going to be more fuzzy than others. I left off some shows I didn’t complete, or am not sure if I covered them earlier.

Furthermore, my personal preference comes into play here. I’m very anti-cop out and “ridiculous ending for the sake of crushing ending into 3 eps” or the “kill everything!” type motif. Not too keen on fanservice either. Those are some of my criteria for a poor show. Your criteria may be different. To each their own. I can’t write 300 paragraphs like I used to, so these will be coming out as I can get to them…

Sword Art Online

This was a widely renowned anime (and prior to that a novel series) back actually from a couple years ago, which is finally gaining ground thanks to Aniplex picking it up and promoting it very heavily in the US. The main plot is that a new combat-centric game has been released that is based on total VR (virtual reality) immersion, that game being Sword Art Online. On the inaugural launch day 10K people log in and the creator of the game cuts off everyone’s ability to log out. Any attempt on the outside to tamper with the headgear used for the game, or death in the game world, means actual death in the real world via your brain getting microwaved. Players are told to fight to the 100th floor of the game world tower they inhabit, as if the game is cleared, then they can return to real life.

The story itself mainly focuses on the hero, or anti-hero in some ways of Kirito, a beta tester that starts out trying to work through the game to stay alive and return home, but ends up taking on himself the hate of the player community by being branded a “beater” (beta + cheater) so he becomes a solo player. Along the way he meets and separates from other players, some involving more tragic events than others.

Zinv’s Take:

I’m a pretty big VR / alternate reality / virtual world fan, so this hits a pretty solid sweet spot for me. The animation of the game world and all it’s various seasons and locations is excellent, the battles are excellent, the music is fairly decent.

The story progression and layout is at least done chronologically, which helps, as the novel chapters were originaly all over the place over a period of years on the author’s website.

As far as characters go, if you’re a guy you probably relate in some fashion to Kirito, as he’s designed to be the loaner, the super powered hero, the chick magnet. The other main character is Asuna, the female lead. Due to the nature of the game world, there’s very few female players – so naturally we see her to begin with as a cloak huddled player with little social interaction. Time skip ahead, and she is one of the top players in the game and essentially vice captain of one of the largest guilds. While her character is likable, after a lot of review, I can see where there was a “tsunundre-shift” that took her back to a more meek and home-y personality too. In both cases, there are justifiable reasons why the characters are the way they are, so it gets a free pass. In general the side characters don’t annoy, nor are their inclusion pointless, so everything meshes pretty well.

The series is split as well into two arcs. Essentially Aincrad (the 1st game world), and Alfheim (2nd – recovery arc). More on this below…

Alternative Take:

Out of everything, I have to say my biggest disappointment is that with this coming from a novel series, and a large one at that…. having read everything translated to date… a lot was left out of the anime. A handful of scenes or events in the anime are very or totally different in the novels. As a result, character motivation or reasoning-wise they gave off a totally different impression. We’re also brought to believe that Kirito and Asuna have next to no contact with each other over the period after the first boss fight up until the later floor raids. This couldn’t be any farther from the truth. In the novels they literally talk at the second floor exit, and bump into each other and party up or butt heads anywhere from every couple of days, to weeks. Kirito is less brooding, more vulnerable, and more of an jerk, Asuna less thinly developed, and the game world at large is far more intricately developed at every level.

The anime yes gave it life, but the novels had it’s depth. The anime made it more of a sit back and enjoy, turn off your brain kind of vibe going for it. The animation also as I mentioned before, ordered the various side stories, fit in the Yui chapters correctly, and made it as a tight package. Really with the novels extending from Aincrad, to Alfheim, to Gun Gale Online, then the current Fluctlight arc, there’s enough there to justify saying they can be treated as two separate entities.

While she did get to show she still had teeth in the Yui arc, Asuna’s character really seemed to get… “domesticated” for lack of a better word, and I wish to some extent they’d kept her with a stronger personality. We do get a lot better look at her character in the Mother’s Rosario novel (pretty much Asuna’s book), and it also features a beautiful display of gamer/friend/human comradere, caring, and sportsmanship at the end of that novel. I actually had tears reading it and wondered if we’d ever get to that high a level of honor and respect in out real life games. In the current chapters Asuna has a role to play, but once again she’s chained down by the author to playing 3rd fiddle when she’s got so much more potential. I’m waiting for her to drop the maiden act and beat down a room of armed guards with a broom handle or something in order to reach her partner. Enough woe is me, you’re the sub commander of the Knights of the Blood for peats sake!

Lastly in the “cons” category, Kirito’s sister… in the classic “not really his sister / cousin / et cetera” love interest theme, comes around in the Alfheim arc and plays that angle fairly hard. This was totally not necessary. She’s a weird distraction / excuse to have her virtual form in the game world lead Kirito around a new environment. While she’s a bit more subdued in the novels, she does continue the trend of wanting her “brother’s” attention over Asuna. All it really does is attempt to sully a good thing… so she’s unnecessary, and really replaced with stronger more interesting characters in time via the novels anyway.

Verdict:

Overall – Solid 7.85 out of 10

Anime – 6.90

Novels – 8.0

Zinv Says: “Watch the anime for the entertaining ride, but the real (virtual?) meat & potatoes here is in the novel series, which can be found at baka-tsuki.”

Accel World

From the same author of Sword Art Online, we have a series set 20 years into the future from SAO’s timeline. Here now augmented reality and virtual reality devices have become normal, particularly for young adults and children.

At high school the most socially lacking, fat, slow, awkward, tormented kid is Haruyuki. After getting his typical run in with bullies, Haru is approached by the famous upperclassmen Kuroyukihime (black snow princess) who offers him a chance to install a program in his VR gear that will change his life. The program can accelerate the person 1000 times faster, drop them into a VR realm based off real life structures, and even in limited cases impart special abilities at great risk to the user. The main purpose is a 3D world battle game based on burst points. Every acceleration uses points. Fighting battles uses points. You run out of points and the program is removed and your memories wiped along with it. Kuroyukihime takes Haru as her apprentice, then begins forming her once mighty guild again after years of hiding from other powerful players looking to take her head.

Zinv’s Take:

Accel World by the author’s own admission, was an experiment of sorts to use a unattractive character with real problems, rather that SAO’s Kirito who’s more of a superman type. As a result, the anime here comes off not as widely liked as SAO. Partially too I think due to the animation style, which differs and lends itself much more towards making supposedly 14 year olds look more like 8.

One thing going for this though, is the anime covers a lot of novel territory, and is nearly a verbatim copy of the novel material. While there are nearly as many novels as SAO (the releases alternate now) the ending of the anime in the Dusk Taker arc is a good ways in an you can transition from one to the other without having to catch up much.

AW shouldn’t really be compared to SAO, but they do share a detailed game world and user system. Here you have a tighter focus on a group of about 5 characters around Haru all the time, where SAO is more so Kirito and Asuna. It yields itself to more of a high school anime with a high stakes game and a coming of age story rolled into one. Relationships are pretty well established in the first 4 episodes and develop in those boundaries. Just add about 12 pounds of rosy cheeks and cutesy style animation… and you’d pretty much have it.

This isn’t to say AW doesn’t have it’s serious moments, as there are some twisted characters, but it doesn’t quite get to that level of “you’ll actually die here” drama hanging overhead in SAO. For some that might be a turn off, some a turn on. Your mileage may vary.

Alternative Take:

Probably the thing hurting AW the most is Haru himself. The character was designed to have no self esteem or back bone. He’s designed essentially to be unappealing in an age where we are hyper sexualized and supposedly required to conform to standards. We’re also looking at an art style that just simply makes everything too young. It works fine for doing a stark contrast between the game world and real world, but it just doesn’t help it’s ratings.

Novel wise, I think AW is actually more complex and consistent on almost every level, than the SAO novels. It does more, with less. SAO uses the past history of the death game as a crutch and keeps putting it’s characters in similar situations and changes how they will get out of it. AW tends to change the situation, and then try to have the players bring something new to the table to compete or dig up more history in the game universe to compensate. Unfortunately, this doesn’t translate as well in detail to the anime. Most of the content is there, but you do miss some finer details like Haru or the Hime’s thoughts on matters, or how something intricate works. You don’t get some of the gems like Mother’s Rosario, but it is more consistent with an entertaining story.

The animation and lack of advertising promoting AW as the long term successor to SAO, really hurt it. This is to be expected though, as it was produced and licensed by totally different studios.

Verdict:

Overall – Solid 7.5 out of 10

Anime – 6.0

Novels – 8.4

Zinv Says: “Faster to watch the anime, then start the novels, but there’s still enough to get into here whether you’re a SAO fan or not.”

Infinite Stratos

Pretty much this is the cliche’d “all girls school for flying battle armors, add one male pilot in existence” story. Amazing scientist creates battle armors that can fly around and protect the pilot, gives out only so many to every country to keep the peace. Scientist has a sister at the academy she likes to pamper. Male pilot shows up, his sister is the abusive teacher, seems to know half the school as some kind of childhood friend. Females fall out of the sky for his attention. Trap character appears. Etc etc etc.

Zinv’s Take:

Oh, I could probably stop with the opening sentence, that pretty much explains what there is in the way of a plot.

I’d like to say there’s something unique or good here.. but um… drawing a blank.

The psychotic German pilot calling her squad mates back home for extraordinarily weird and creepy dating advice was slightly funny.

Alternative Take:

The characters are cliche’d and stereotypical to a T. The combat animation camera tracks like a cat chasing a pack of flies. The animation is clean 3D and computer aided, but nothing special. The main male character is air brained. There is a sub plot about some greater evil organization out there that’s creating unlicensed high powered drone suits, but it’s never explored. Male character’s strategy consists of “get shot and get protected,” “I ran out of power,” and “I’ll chop it with my awesome unique giant sword really hard!” Trap character is just another excuse brought out to extend series 4 episodes. Ending and choice of love interest was thin or vapid at best, pointless and developed nothing at worst. Fanservice was loaded into a salt shaker and sprinkled till dish lost it’s flavor.

Verdict:

Overall – 1.2

(It somehow got published as an anime 1, .2 cause it has samurai ladies in flying robots)

Zinv Says: “I’d spend less time and learn more from reading a phone book, without getting as dizzy.”

Toradora!

Ryuji is entering the new school year worried about wasting his youth since he doesn’t have a girlfriend. However thanks to his delinquient eyes, the school body avoids him like the mob. Somehow he’ll have to work up the courage to ask out the most athletic and eccentric girl in school. After running head-on into the “Palm-top Tiger” Taiga, Ryuji gets a thrashing and discovers he’s got a new neighbor. The Tiger’s interested in Ryuji’s best friend, and Ryuji in Taiga’s – they aim to confess to their loves and help each other get the chance. But with the tiger always at his place planning and eating, won’t everyone get the wrong idea?

Zinv’s Take:

I think the most redeeming thing about this series is frankly it’s main element. It takes most every high school love anime trope/cliche out there, and instead of doing the same old typical thing… takes it into more realistic territory or down the “right” path. I’m not sure original is the right word, but compared to the mountains of high school unrequited love stories in anime, this is something unique.

High School Rumble is probably the closest reference for it, but it’s not meant to a comedy at it’s core or have a hundred and one otaku references to find. Ryuji’s a student that takes care of his mother who works at a bar. He cooks, cleans, and has a complex about mold and his father that abandoned them. Taiga’s run away from her own split home, has a complex about her size (short, child like, etc), can’t take of herself, and spews cut downs or explodes at most any moment. Each character has their faults and has to deal with rejection, on a few occasions on a very large and public scale. You get to see them work through that.

If I were to count the common school anime “events” that were used, but turned on their heads, not made into an excuse for pandering to the viewer, or took the easy route out, it’d probably be up around the 70’s.

How about the classic “let’s elope” or run away together schtick? Well there’s consequences there, how would you live, would your friends help you out, what about those you leave behind, what about school credits, how do you travel?

Instead of the parents “of course” showing up to cheer on their child at event X, what if they just texted something came up and won’t make it, and you’re on stage waiting for an answer from the crowd?

What if instead of brushing it off that you tried to scare your love interest in a remote beach cave, she got angry and pushed the issue as to why you did it? What would result then?

It doesn’t pull punches, which is a refreshing change of pace.

Ultimately it’s not any one thing that makes it great, it’s the sum of many well crafted parts. For it’s core material, it doesn’t really do anything original, it’s that it takes overused tropes and spins every one of them differently. The pacing is very good too, just when you’re bored of where the story is at, you get a major game changing twist to go off on another little story arc. It doesn’t lose the “main thing” being the central focus though either.

Alternative Take:

I guess if anything it has as a fault, Toradora isn’t cheap. It only saw 2 releases, a regular and deluxe pair of sets in the USA in 2010 and 2011. In Japan they have a giant Blu-Ray rerelease box set that’s $700. The US publisher was NIS America, which sounds small, because it was never dubbed and released sub only. Doesn’t hurt it any however…

Taiga doesn’t get to use her wooden sword on people more often…

Also if you don’t watch past the credits for the real conclusion of the final episode, your heart may stop out of sheer amazement that the production staff just pulled a complete and utter 180 in the last 2 minutes of the show.

Verdict:

Anime – Solid 8.2

Zinv Says: “I’ve got my vote on the Palm-Top Tiger of Happiness.”

jgzinv
      ChaosHead

From ANN:

Takumi Nishijō suffers from intense delusions as a result of his apparent schizophrenia and the extremely secluded lifestyle he lives as a hikkikomori. One day he accidentally stumbles upon a gruesome murder scene, a part of a chain of events called “New Generation”. After this, his life gets caught up in these events, and he meets a bunch of increasingly insane anime girls with swords.

Zinv’s Take:

Honestly, I couldn’t structure my thoughts together better than the ANN summary, so there you go… Began watching CH since I’d just finished Stein’s Gate.

ChaosHead like the two following reviews, is a chain of Japanese dating sim games that were well received and then adapted for anime. They all have ties to each other, such as character crossovers or cameos. CH may or may not be in the same timeline as the other two.

To their credit, many such games are shallow and vapid in terms of plot. Traditionally you just have to pursue a course after one character and tread a fine line of responses to reach whatever ending has been setup, good or otherwise.

While there are such animes out there, here the production company went farther than the source material and tried to create a story.

The animation is clean and quite bright.

Alternative Take:

In the interest of full disclosure, I started fast forwarding and skipping episodes around Ep. 5, then caught up around the last three. My reasoning being that the main character is constantly having psychotic or lecherous delusions, which really make no sense other than to serve to illustrate he’s a nutjob. As introduced, he lives in a shipping container packed with anime figurines of one character, and envisions her constantly playing the “desires fulfillment” role.

The supporting characters end up being all female stereotypes, that for added “whizzbang” factor, can pull psudeo-real giant swords out of thin air, due to the power of will or imagination. Instead of trying to kill each other as they start out, the group eventually bands together as a evil fighting force/protection squad for the male lead.

The twist here, being that the main character isn’t real, but a delusion himself, created by a far older original. The world is breaking apart and chaos is being caused as the original can no longer maintain he grip on his “reality” since he’s nearing death.

One of the female support team is the primary love interest, who’s completely devoted to both the new and old Takumi for the entirety of the show. She manages to play up the too cute/bloody murderer side of things. Acts like the most powerful of the group, yet fails when it comes to standing against the villain so we can get 2 more episodes of pandering out of the show. The ending pretty much involves Takumi casting multi-delusions on himself inside of a delusion (yes it’s a delusion-ception), in which he gains ultimate power for a minute and creates an impossibility. As everyone crawls out of the rubble, they agree to live in the same shared delusion.

There’s not much if anything in the way of justification given for anything, you’re pretty much supposed to watch, try to survive the no-sense plot, paper thin cookie cutter characters, and pray it ends quickly. If you fed random episodes of power rangers, paranoia agent, and some high school anime through a shredder, then coated it in LSD and ate it.. the result would be ChaosHead.

Verdict:

Anime – 1.6

Zinv Says: “Ow my head… it was all a bad dream right?”

Stein’s Gate

Stein’s also comes from a dating sim style game, however it departs from that formula quite extensively and focuses instead on plot to great effect.

In Stein, we have Rintarō Okabe who goes by the mad scientist name Kyōma Hōōin, going to a conference on theoretical time travel with his childhood friend Mayuri. Kyoma plays at having delusions of a massive evil organization out to get him, and frequently talks to his turned off phone requesting support from a virtual agency helping him to defeat their plans. As an over the top character, he typically makes grand speeches or blows anything he can out of proportion, and pretty much doesn’t know a thing about what science he’s spouting.

After having a heated argument on time travel with the young scientist prodigy Kurisu Makise, he’s near to where a giant object crashes and destroys part of the building. Searching around he finds Kurisu lying dead in blood, panics and leaves. Kyoma sends a text back to his hacker friend who stayed at their rented room “secret base” and suddenly things shift. Once outside he finds that his friends can’t remember certain events of the day, and neither can anyone else. The most surprising of all is Kurisu is still alive.

At their “laboratory” room, Daru the hacker works on things they cook up, the childhood friend Mayuri (Kyoma’s fake-hostage) makes lunch, and Kyoma tries to figure out what happened. Kyoma had mistakenly sent the text back in time via their phone-microwave… which typically produces gel-bananas, and gel-chicken tenders instead.

Given time, Kurisu gets involved and supplies the brains, Daru supplies the code, Kyoma supplies the posturing and crazy, Mayuri gives the tours. They get the future gadget / texting time machine working predictably and start experimenting with texts in more and more complicated ways.

In the process they run afoul of CERN (of Large Hadron Collider fame) and get mixed up in stories of John Titor, a self proclaimed time traveler. CERN being a real, evil organization working on time travel to control the present.

In the course of sending the texts, reality is diverged into more and more variations (butterfly effect), but the only one that remembers everything from the previous histories is Kyoma. More people become involved with the time machine and send texts of their own that drastically change history and the city of Akihabara. The text machine soon gets an upgrade to a memory sending machine, allowing the user to effectively time jump back a short period.

Kyoma finds it’s not all fun and games when the lab is assaulted and people are killed right in front of him. That starts a chain of mad attempts to save lives, but events repeat no matter what he does. In this far darker reality, he has to get each person that sent a text to reveal and reverse it, including one person who’s after his life. In the process of reversing the timeline changes, he’ll have to make the choice of having Kurisu killed again, or seeing others die instead.

Zinv’s Take:

Well if you didn’t gather from the long “summary” I like this one a lot.

The story is very well developed to pull you in, it manages to hide critical plot changes very well, and still connects you to the characters, and even throws in a romance sub plot too.

Even with what I wrote above, there’s tons more to see: You have a time traveler from the future that comes back to see her father and was part of an armed rebellion. There’s lots of tie in’s with internet lore and things like Warner Von Braun, the twist on CERN and them being a far reaching outfit for evil was well done and surprising.

The first third of the show is really setup for the development both in situations and characters of the latter two parts. It does take a very sudden shift into the dark side of things once people start getting killed and Kyoma is desperate to save everyone.

There’s a bit of humorous product placement as well, like Dr. Pepper being the “Intellectual Drink, For The Chosen Ones” among other things. There’s a great couple of scenes regarding lab coats, that to an extent, became memes on their own.

Kyoma and Kurisu’s banter and development pretty much solidified the show to a large degree. There are a couple favorites in their scenes that stand out, but I won’t spoil the fun for you.

Ultimately it’s a very well put together, intricately fitting series, that anyone who is a fan of parallel dimensions, or time travel, or mad science should thoroughly enjoy.

Alternative Take:

If anything I’m a little irritated that the true ending of the show, which is a OVA episode (25) isn’t included with the main series as it should be. The main cast goes to America for various reasons and Kyoma gets arrested about 4 times in as many minutes just getting in the country. It has a good ending. It is required to watch the OVA as long as you see the rest of the series first!

Some of the repeat sections do get a little old (ie. groundhog day style), but they are almost always told from another angle, or done differently. It’s nothing like the infamous endless 8 of Haruhi. To a degree it was done to express desperation, and give you a taste of how many times Kyoma was jumping, in which it served it’s purpose.

Evidently a movie which extends things beyond the OVA has been released in Japan this month, but no subs have come out for it.

So… while I’m sure I could pick at it given another viewing, there are a few places where the foreshadowing is obvious, my only real complaint is there’s not more of it already ready for consumption.

Verdict:

Anime – Solid 8.6

Zinv Says: “Even if the world line changes, as long as you don’t forget me, I’m there”

“El Psy Congaroo”

Robotic’sNotes

Robotic’s Notes takes place 9 years after the events in Stein’sGate

and can be considered a distant sequel, as some of the characters do show up.

The plot ceneters around Akiho, a girl who is dead set on fulfilling the dream of her now largely defunct robotics club at school, that being to create a full scale mobile giant robot.

By her side is Kaito, whom never has interest in anything besides playing the robot battle game Kill-Ballad on his tablet. Kaito frequently will challenge anyone who wants him to do work or expend any effort by saying he’ll do it, but they have to beat him in a game. Kaito being ranked 4th best player in the world, never loses.

Akiho and Kaito both are survivors from a mysterious event on a cruise ship, where each one of them will get weak or stressed, and experience time moving extremely slow or fast in the form of “attacks.”

As time moves on and things get more complex, more characters show up, such as the creator of Kill-Ballad, Nae Tennoji from Stein’s, a karate club member, and Akiho’s sister.

Akiho will move heaven and earth trying to get the club’s giant robot built, made up of mismatched huge parts that have been left behind in an abandoned hanger. So she starts out competing in a small hobby robot competition to strike a deal with the school to get funds. Either they win and get money, or fail and have to close the club.

While they do end up winning and gaining an ally, they are not allowed to keep the money. Essentially set back after set back occurs to try and crush Akiho’s dream.

Along the way, their interest in building a giant robot is picked up by JAXA, where Nae comes into the picture, as they are an outfit which helps supply special interest groups. Akiho initially rejects them and tries things her own way once again, only to create a giant robot that can only move a few feet before failing due to it’s massive weight and old diesel engine.

Meanwhile, Kaito has been traveling around their island with his tablet and using it’s augmented reality program to discover hidden files. These files describe secret plans to experiment on people and cause mass genocide by way of using solar flares and robots. Early on Kaito meets an AI that guards the location of each set of files, although she has two personalities. Each file also has prerequisets that must be completed before the file can be unlocked. So whenever he’s not forced into helping with the club robot, Kaito is wandering about the island trying to find these files, even though certain adults pressure him to leave it alone.

After a key character’s death, they do get to go to the robotics festival with their new and stripped down robot, but it looks like the lead robot of their favorite anime when viewed through augmented reality. At which point the series shifts very abruptly to dealing with Akiho’s dream of getting to the festival, to travel to save the world from a black hole bomb being launched at the sun (yes you read that right).

The cast has to get another robot working with the help of everyone on the island, as their mobile unit was destoryed when the robotics stadium was attacked. Then attack the shuttle lauch platform being guarded by Akiho’s sister (in mecha), who’s been brainwashed by another AI. So you have more of a David vs. Goliath bout.

Zinv’s Take:

Ok so I spoiled a chunk of the plot. For the positives side of things, it does try to take a peak into our future with augmented reality playing a heavy role in the series, as well as motion capture and input controls that we’re just now getting a grasp on. It does take a bit generalized, but practical approach to building robots, which is nice to see.

For such a large cast of characters the show does manage to try and keep it’s focus on Kaito and Akiho, which is a good thing.

Animation throughout was very good and well done.

Nae gets to have a few “bad ass” moments for looking like a 20-somethings field secretary. The little “too-ta-roo!” girl from Stein’s takes out a platoon of armed soldiers on her own in short order.

CERN returns from Stein’s as well, to be a source of problems, still trying to control the world. They remain a threat, but not nearly as direct or involved as Steins portrayed them.

The one main death in the series is done well enough to make you irritated they died in the fashion they dead. So mission acomplished there.

The blink and you’ll miss it final ending, that portrays the future several years after the main ending, is a nice touch.

Story wise, I’m split on, so I’ll cover most of that below.

Alternative Take:

Honestly the story as it goes, I think is paced a little slow, and then it demands that we accept in very short order (as in the span of 2.5 mins) to switch over to the rushed “save the world” plot line that was building up across the series.

Sure there is is foreshadowing, but they keep it so hidden via the secret file unlocks over a long period of time, that it’s obscured. The quick rebuild of their original robot, was probably done to say that when everyone works together, you can make a miracle, but at the same time, when you’ve spent 18 episodes building the last two, amongst many failures, isn’t believeable.

There’s several overly “conveinent” moments where things just happen or fall out of the sky “literally” to solve their problems, which ends up making it feel like a cop out.

The relationship between Kaito and Akiho is pretty much resolved in 3 minutes in the episode before last. If it had been actually given a little more time to be shown or matured, probably would have had more impact, though it was a nice scene. Kaito suffers from being a jerk or too lazy to help for a vast majority of the series, so it’s hard to like the character, even as a gamer myself that loves robots.

While the plot or story was somewhat generic, there have been other “I wanna build it!” animes before, it did play some new angles and is generally entertaining. However just like it’s main character, it suffers from several setbacks that mar the resulting output.

Verdict:

Anime – 5.9

Zinv Says: “If you’ve seen Stein’s Gate, give Robotic’s a shot for the sake of seeing it (if you have nothing else pressing in queue). It’s not a waste of time, but just don’t expect to be amazed either.”

Looking forward to zinv’s reviews of the following:

1.Girls Und Panzers

2.Black Lagoon,are you also going to review The Second Barrage and Roberta’s Blood Trail?

3.You’re Under Arrest

4.NOIR,this is the only one I actually own(ok only ADV’s volumes 1 and 4 but still…)

5.Aria The Scarlet Ammo,been watching the previews every Sunday since Funi has it on vol.1 of

Tenchi Universe.

6.Birdy The Mighty Decode

7.Corpse Princess(not to be confused with the Tim Burton movie The Corpse Bride)

8.Coyote Ragtime Show

9.My Bride Is A Mermaid,ah…yes…Mermen mafiosos!!!! 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

ryokofan21
      YOU GUYS HAVE TO SEE THIS!!! From the mind of Monty Oum and the crew over at Roosterteeth, comes a brand new CG animated series. RWBY (pronounced Ruby) is the latest to come out of Roosterteeth along with season 11 of RvB. This show has everything so far. The music is great, the action is fantastic and wonderfully orchestrated, the animation is superb. I really can’t say enough good things about this show so far. If you’re a fan of Red vs. Blue, you’re gonna love this. bth_IhappyloveItplz_by_IloveItplz

RWBY Episode 1

Enjoy.

jgzinv
      Well I finished Durarara!!, Black Heaven, and Zero no Tsukishima in one day…

Short version-

Durarara – watch. Would certainly hope they get a S2.

Black Heaven- substantial VA pedigree, content is a lot different from the box or opening.

Not sure if I care for the ending though or blondie space temptress. Viva la Mitsuki.

Zero- Anime Planet has this as the #2 most suggested thing for fans of Toradora.

Honestly it’s similar yes, but really it is far less believable and the characters are a lot less relatable.

Mix a watered down harry potter with random annoying tsundere anime.. you got it.

It’s… ok as to being an anime, but easily predictable and ultimately a zero.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Before I forget to mention it, not that I don’t appreciate everyone’s contributions here, but JG mad respect for the in-depth reviews ranging a broad sampling of anime confections, I’ve come to look forward to your reviews.

If it hasn’t been posted here already, I’d throw in a good word for the recent Watamote (No Matter How I Look At It, It’s You Guys’ Fault I’m Not Popular). No, it’s not competing for the prestigious longest name in anime award, but it is worthwhile; twelve episodes, slice-of-life, oodles of gags marked by rewarding buildups and payoffs. But it’s not your run of the mill lolifest; in fact, it’s quite the opposite. Despite its surrealist moments, it aims for a more frank, less glamorous view of the typical Japanese high school experience from the viewpoint of a typical girl (well, okay, maybe not that typical). Definitely worth viewing.

Here’s a segment called “Why the Fudge aren’t you watching?”

Let’s start this right!

Joshiraku

Five raikugo performers debate about everyday life and drop references both American and Japanese audiences are sure to enjoy. Complete with god-tier opening and ending song.

Should you watch it? Why haven’t you? Go do it now! You’ll have a blast!

Watamote!

An unpopular girl in Japan’s high school system wonders why she isn’t popular, despite being extremely shy, introverted, perverted, and socially-inept. Hilarious (possibly cringe-worthy) hijinks ensue as she struggles to find friends and a boyfriend.

Should you watch it? Yes you should, and then read the manga and realize your life isn’t as bad as this.

Shingeki no Kyojin

Humanity must fight against abhorrent abominations that look just like them. Blood, action, humor, and lots of gruesome deaths litter the series that has taken over Bleach as one of the most cosplayed series at conventions.

Should you watch it? If only for Female Titan’s running animation in the second half of the series, then yes. Otherwise yes.

Shinrakyu! Ika Musume!

A squid girl invader from the sea attempts to take over the surface world, but royally fucks up when she is stuck being an indentured servant for blowing a hole in the wall of a local snack shack. She then tries to adjust to life on the surface world and fails for the most part, but that’s the fun.

Should you watch it? Yes and be like me and buy a statue of the title character.

I already have the full first season of Squid Girl and agree it’s pretty funny.Too bad the second season wasn’t licensed though,as far as I know it was dropped.

I also recommend for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet:Rozen Maiden.Think of it as Highlander

done with dolls.It isn’t as bad as it may sound though.There’s a good combination of humor and drama to it.

Also the Dolls really come across as individuals.There’s plenty of good plot and character development and a lot of twists and turns.The original series is divided into two seasons and one two episode OVA:

Rozen Maiden

Rozen Maiden:Traumend

Rozen Maiden:Overture

the Overture OVA takes place in the middle of Traumend and serves as a backstory to the relationship between Shinku and Saigunto and explains why they went from friends to enemies.

Here’s another segment of “Why the Fudge aren’t you watching?”

Kill Me Baby!

A normal high school student is friends with an assassin in her class, and her ninja co-worker shows up to add to the fun. They tackle everyday things such as building snowmen, 2spooky4me abandoned classrooms, and near weekly hits. Don’t be fooled by the opening; it’s not nearly as nonsensical as the actual show.

Yuyushiki

Three friends join the Data Processing Club at school (the what and the why?) and research whatever they find interesting. Funny ass reaction faces, lesbian vibes, and hot Christmas Cake buns are included in the cute-girls-doing-cute-things story.

Ladies Versus Butlers

A young man is accepted into a prestigious Maid/Butler/Ladies academy full of crazy characters, including a drill hair, his childhood best friend, a cross-dressing girl, a very artistic loli, and of course, the typical perverted butt-head. Don’t let Mom watch!

*bump*

Here’s a classic if you can find it:Gin-rei Special episode 3.

Episode’s 1 and 2 are take it or leave it ecchi comedies that you can tell the staff of Giant Robo did to release some pent up energy.The gem of the lot and the one I recommend if you can find it is episode 3.

It’s a more serious episode and has all the hallmarks of Giant Robo except without either Daisuke or Robo

or most of the other regulars.The animation and acting in it are superb plus we get to see behind the mask of

a Big Fire Henchman and find out just how human the bad guys really can be.

WisperG
      Fate/Zero

Rider and Waver together was pure gold. Much like everybody’s favorite GXP officers, Kiyone and Mihoshi, the writers really got the character dynamic between those two characters down to a science. I think I can easily say that Rider was not only my favorite Servant, but probably my favorite character of the show PERIOD.

On to the stuff I didn’t like. The pacing… was often terrible. Type-Moon works are very… talkative. Lots of exposition and the occasional info dump. That’s just their style, and while this series is actually adapted from a novel series written by none other than Gen Urobuchi, it doesn’t stray far from the formula. That means there’s a whole lot of characters just standing around and talking. Not gonna lie, despite my great love for the Fate franchise, it got kinda boring sometimes.

Season 2 suffered the most from the pacing I think. Specifically, there were two back-to-back 100% flashback episodes crammed into the late teens right after a particularly strong episode. They completely killed the show’s momentum, focusing on Kiritsugu‘s back story, which I suppose was necessary for truly understanding him and his motivations, but I dunno, I just… didn’t care. At all. I just wanted to get back to the main plot. I actually dropped the show here for over a year after the first of these two episodes. It really killed my interest in the show for a long awhile.

Being a series originally written in novel form by the Urobutcher himself, this show is rarely a happy one. Lots of death, lots of betrayal, a misunderstanding that ends in tragedy, grotesque vampiric worms, and even a giant, CGI tentacle monster. Sounds like the makings of a great show does it not? Well, that depends on who you ask. As many here on the forum know, I’m not squeamish, but I’m not exactly a big fan of depression, tragedy, feelings of dread, and likable characters being killed off either, all of which this show had in SPADES even though it was apparently toned down a bit from the novels. I found several events, particularly from those flashback episodes and Episode 21 to be rather hard to sit through. They really rubbed me the wrong way. Episode 21 specifically used one of my least favorite plot devices in film/literature OF ALL TIME in its second half. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy to see that. That episode may have even swayed me towards passing on buying this show or even re-watching it at all, just so I don’t have to see, dwell on, or have my memory jogged about what happened in that episode again.

Also, not unlike one of my gripes with Evangelion 3.0, many characters, aside from the select few that could be considered the “main cast”, didn’t get much screen time, and by extension very little character development. A few of the less important characters would barely show up and do… not much of anything really, before they were killed off. I’m not sure if that’s just the way it was written originally or if its an after effect of cramming four plot-heavy light novels into a 25 episode anime series.

Despite me being severely dissatisfied with some of the plot twists in the final stretch (and I’d even go so far as to say I outright hated Episode 21), I must say, that was an excellent final episode. It wrapped everything up nicely, showed the outcomes of all the surviving characters, and gave a nice teaser for the original Fate/Stay Night series by depicting two key scenes that were flashbacks in the original.

The animation alone would get an 11/10 from me, but for the sake of not getting too specific, here’s my final verdict:

Season 1: 8.5/10

Season 2: 7/10

I almost gave Season 2 a 6/10, but the strong finale and the trippy introspective mind shiz in Episode 24, reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Evangelion Episodes 25 & 26, definitely earned it a bonus point.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I finally got around to Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple (dubbed), a title loooong on my list.

I love it. It’s entertaining, the dub is actually pretty darn good, and I love it. Nuff said.

If that’s not nuff said for ya, here’s where I said a lot more about it.
      http://whocaresaboutanime.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/the-mightiest-millennial-kenichi-2/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://whocaresaboutanime.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/the-mightiest-millennial-kenichi-2/

Blood-C:The Last Dark:

Synopsis:Now fully awakened a vengeful Saya follows Fumito to Tokyo.There she meets a group of

youthful hackers called SIRRUT.With their help she tracks Fumito down to his HQ and the final showdown.

Comments:

The Bad: only two things both technical:

1. You can’t turn off the sub if you want to watch it in raw Japanese

2. In the scene where Fumito’s lieutenant is mocking Saya for her inability to kill humans there was about

5-10 seconds of static.

The Good:

1.It was nice to see the homage to the original Blood,The Last Vampire film,especially with the opening sequence on the train.

2.Mana made for a great side-kick and I wouldn’t mind if Clamp decided to make her their next heroine.

3.Yanabi was totally 8-) .

4.The CGI or what there was of it,didn’t overwhelm the rest of the animation and in the scenes where it was used

segued into the rest of the animation effortlessly.

5.The ending was nicely open-ended.

6.Watanuki’s appearance was nice,though I see he’s picked up one of Yuko’s habits:smoking her pipe!

7.Saya’s back to her brooding,moody and near uncommunicative self from the original Blood,The Last Vampire persona to the extent that she’s nicknamed:”Miss Gloomy”.

8.Saya’s line as she attacks Fumito:”FUUUUUMIIIITTTTOOOOO!!!!!” reminded me of Kirk’s famous line:

“KKKKKHHHHHAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!” from The Wrath Of Khan! 😆 😆 😆 😆

9.That was a really cool use for crutches!

10.And finally:That nightmare of Saya’s was rather disturbing.

Additional:

The NONENONE THEATRE was fun way of catching up on the series.I think now having read the manga and seen the movie I really need to see the anime series.Though knowing how it all ends now makes the scenes at

Fumito’s bakery in the manga totally creepy.

Grade:A+

jgzinv
      Going to make this list it’s own post, split from the earlier reviews.

Not a complete list, as I keep finding more as I think about it.

Pick what you’d like to see a review on, and I’ll see if I can do at least one a week.

Key:

Good Stuff Bad Stuff

Neutral

Accel World

A Certain Magical Index

A Certain Scientific Railgun

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero

Afro Samurai (partial)

Ah! My Goddess + Movie Ai Yori Aoshi Android Kikaider Angel Beats

Arakawa under the Bridge (partial)

Aria the Scarlet Ammo

Armitage III Dual + Poly Matrix

Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Attack on Titan

Azumanga Dioh

Baccano Baki the Grappler Banner of the Stars + sequels

Battle Athletess + Victory

Beck Mongolian Chop Squad

Betterman

Beyond the Boundry

Birdy the Mighty Decode

Black Jack

Black Lagoon

Blast of Tempest

Bleach

Blood+

Blue Gender

Blue Submarine No 6

Boogiepop Phantom

Btoom!

Bubblegum Crisis + BC 2040

Bunny Drop

Candidate for Goddess

Captain Harlock

Casshern Sins Castle in the Sky Cat Planet Cuties C Control Chaos Head

Chobits

Clannad

Code Breaker (partial)

Corpse Princess

Cowboy Bebop + movie Coyote Ragtime Show (partial) Crest of the Stars + prequel Birth

Cyborg 009 (partial)

Dai-Guard (partial)

Darker than Black (partial)

Dead Leaves

Detective Conan + movies (partial)

Diebuster

Digimon Seasons 1-3 + Movies 1-3

Dominion Tank Police

Dragonball + Z + GT + most movies

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Durarara!! Eden of the East + Movies El Hazard Magnificent World + Alternative World

Ergo Proxy (partial)

Eureka 7 + AO

Fist of the North Star (partial)

FLCL fractale Fruits Basket

Fullmetal Alchemist + Brotherhood + movies

Full Metal Panic + 2nd Raid + Fummofu

Gad Guard

Galaxy Railways Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Gate Keepers

Gate Keepers 21

Geneshaft

Ghost in the Shell + SAC + movies

Giant Robo

Girls Bravo (partial)

Girls und Panzer

Go Dannar! (partial)

Golden Time (partial)

Great Teacher Onizuka (partial)

Ground Control to Psycoelectric Girl

Guilty Crown

Gunbuster

Gundam 00 + S2 + movie

Gundam 0080 Gundam 0083 Gundam 8th MS Team

Gundam Char’s Counterattack

Gundam F91 movie

Gundam Seed

Gundam Turn A

Gundam UC

Gundam War on the Pocket Gundam Wing + Endless Waltz

Gungrave

Gunsmith Cats

GunxSword (partial)

Gurren Lagann

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Hand Maid May

Heat Guy J

Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat

Hero Tales

High School Rumble Howl’s Moving Castle Iczer-One IGPX + S2

Initial D + sequels

Infinite Stratos

Inuyasha + S2 + movies

Irresponsible Captain Tyler the Series K-ON + sequel + movies

Kamisama Kiss

Karas

Kaze no Stigma

Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple

Kiddy Grade + Kiddy Girl AND

Kiki’s Delivery Service

Kill Me Baby (partial)

Kimi x Kiss

Kodocha

Lagrange the Flower of Rin-ne Last Exile + Fam the Silver Wing

Legend of Black Heaven

Love Hina + movies

Lucky Star (partial)

Lupin the 3rd TV + various movies Macross Plus

Madlax

Madoka Magica

Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Martian Successor Nadesico + movie

MD Geist

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Midori Days

My Bride is a Mermaid

My Santa

Naruto + Shippuden + few movies

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Negima!

Neon Genesis Evangelion + Rebuild 1,2,3

Ninja Scroll (partial)

Niseimonogatari

Noein

NOIR

Nyankoi!

Oriemo + 2

Outbreak Company

Outlaw Star

Pani Poni Dash!

Paranoia Agent

Persona 4 the Animation (partial)

Photon

Pilot Candidate

Please Teacher Please Twins

Pokemon S1

Porco Rosso (partial)

Princess Mononoke

Pumpkin Scissors

RahXephon

Ranma ½ (partial)

Rave Master (partial)

Read or Die Movie + the TV

Red Data Girl

Redline

Rideback

Robotech

Robotics;Notes

Rurouni Kenshin

S-CRY-ed

Samurai 7 Samurai X Trust and Betrayal

Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei

SD Gundam Force (partial)

Serial Experiments Lain

Sgt. Frog (partial)

Shakugan no Shana 1 + 2 + 3

Silent Möbius

Sol Bianca

Soul Eater

Space Battleship Yamato

Spaceship Agga Ruter

Space Dandy Spice and Wolf + S2

Sprited Away

Steins;Gate + movie

Strait Jacket

Strike Witches (partial) Summer Wars Sword Art Online + extra ed Tamako Market (partial)

Tears to Tiara

Tenchi Forever (movie 2)

Tenchi in Toyko

Tenchi Muyo Daughter of Darkness

Tenchi Muyo GXP Tenchi Muyo in Love 1

Tenchi Muyo Mihoshi Special

Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki

Tenchi Muyo War on Geminar

Tenchi Universe

Tenjho Tenge (partial)

The Big O + S2

The Familiar of Zero

The Future Diary

The Galaxy Railways The Pet Girl of Sakura-sou The Place Promised in our Early Days The Slayers

The World God Only Knows

This Ugly Yet Beautiful World Toradora! Trigun + movie Valvrave the Liberator

Vandread

Video Girl Ai

Virus Buster Serge

Voices of a Distant Star

Voltron

Welcome to the NHK (partial)

Wolf’s Rain

X’amd

You’re Under Arrest (partial)

Yu Yu Hakusho

Z.O.E. Dolores,i

Zatch Bell (partial)

Zoids + other series

What’s with all the crossed out ones?

So I finally finished Momo,The Girl God Of Death yesterday and here’s my thoughts:

1.Despite the title Momo and her talking flying black cat Daniel only have a small part in each episode as the episodes revolve around the people that they interact with.

2.It’s a nice slow,quiet,meditative and bittersweet look at life and death,in other words if you like something that makes you think or want a change of pace from the usual then you should try it;OTOH if you’re looking for something with plenty of action and things going KA-BOOM! skip.

3.The main characters change from episode to episode though some show up in more than one.

4.The last ending has a nice surprise twist to it.

5.The OP is in English and fits the mood of the series well.

6. It’s a definite 8/10.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

What’s with all the crossed out ones?

I believe Z-man’s already posted reviews of those titles on-site.

jgzinv
      The Big O (S1 & S2)

[Note this is Dub Only, I’ve never seen the Sub or had a reason to want to.]

Around 2001/2003 Toonami and later Adult Swim first aired The Big O. While originally a 13 episode series (planned as a 26)

it was acclaimed so well in the USA that Cartoon Network (who had alot of clout then) commissioned the remainder of the series from Sunrise. Evidently the S2 did not sell well in the Japan or US and thus no future extensions were made.

So what is Big O? It’s often been compared to Batman meets Gundam. I’d go a step beyond, as it has parallels with Batman The

Animated Series, it’s got influences certainly from Dick Tracy or Giant Robo, there’s Godzilla and other Kaiju movies of the era.

On top of all that, you have a heavy Christian theme which, while better defined and more accurate in some ways, feels particularly reminiscent of Evangelion.

Big starts us in the “city of amnesia” Paradigm City, where 40 years ago, everyone has lost their memories due to a cataclysmic war. Life for most common folk is simply day to day, a drab and hopeless existence. In this setting, a particular man Roger Smith acts as a professional negotiator. Going off his own sense of rules, he conducts trades and tends to do investigations when it suits him. However his actions tend to lead him in the war path of mysterious giant robots intent on destroying the domed city. These being created by scientists with memory fragments, having been compelled for one reason or another.

When the city comes under attck, Roger uses his watch to call forth Big O from underground (usually devastating a few buildings in the process) and going hand to hand with the monsters. He also has a variety of gadgets like a missile and machinegun laden armored car, a quad rail train delivery system, and a underground base below a bank for Big O.

In the first act, Roger negotiates for a wealthy industrialist’s “daughter” who turns out to be an android replica. She will soon join him on contract, to find out her past and purpose. Also within Roger’s inner circle is Norman the butler, who performs the maintenance on Big O and manages the house. Dan Dastan the chief of the military police, Roger’s former boss, who are all too commonly out of their league.

Big O is complex and the ending in particular open to interpretation. You have many characters and plot lines, many different reasons for what they each are doing. There is Gordon Rosewater, leader of the city who eventually moves to destroy it all and rewrite it all in his image. Angel is a mysterious woman, often comparable to Emma Peel or Catwoman, working both sides. The Federation, a large group of loyalists who were forced outside the city prior to the events of Big O to die, and want their revenge.

All the while seeing these character’s slowly revealed, we’re uncovering more about the events and fragments of the past. Perhaps it is all just a fictional stage, perhaps they are all clones, perhaps they all are robots with their former human memories getting reloaded each time the world resets due to a single producer put in charge as a guardian? What are the memories? Can you find meaning in life not knowing where you’re going or have been? Do people latch on to faith even when it is incomplete and only bits and pieces are left? If we’re all actors, are we bound to fulfill our roles no matter what? Does a robot have a soul? Are we doomed to repeat our past?

Zinv’s Take:

If you were to ask me what “is” Big O in one word, I’d have to say classic. Maybe not in the sense of age, but in pure polish. The music is a big draw for me and ties everything together. It’s often reminiscent of film noir, detective/police story, slow jazz, spy fiction, but then switches up into heavy drums and grand entrances with strings/brass that can only add to Roger’s declaration “Big O It’s Showtime!” as the mecha blows out of the ground to do battle. Later on they throw in some rock guitar which to a degree illustrates the split between the S1 and S2. There’s even slower organ and real piano pieces for slower scenes. Overall it’s grand and fitting in all the places it needs to be.

The art style hits in the nail on the head, Paradigm is a town that may not entirely be in ruin, but it is largely slum and a mere shadow of some former glory age. The people are drawn indistinct, barely discernible faces, an indicator of the name less and faceless masses. Both reflecting their own lack of identity without memories and their impact on the grand story that is unfolding. The mecha are all big lumbering heavy machines, not fast like Gundams, lending themselves more towards Giant Robo. The enemies are colorful and distinct, much like Batman villains, eccentric and deadly. In fact if you recall the old Batman: Mask of the Phantasm movie, it’s like that but a bit better and longer.

The voice actors were cream of the crop from the early 2000’s as well. Steve Blum (Spike – Bebop, Tom – Toonami) plays Roger up to the fullest. Both when he’s cocky and in the thrill of battle, when he is angry and dolling out one liners about the rules of his house, or when he’s broken, fearful, and defeated. Other notables: Alan Oppenheimer, Wendee Lee, Lia Sargent, Chrispin Freeman, Michelle Ruff, Mona Marshall, Kirk Thornton, Bob Papenbrook, Sherry Lynn, Peter Spellos, Joe Romersa, Joshua Freedman, to name a few. All this talent shows, there’s not a single voice that doesn’t fit the character.

Some of the side stories are more poignant than the main plotline itself. Such as for the blind girl Laura in Daemonseed, or Dan Dastan’s police story of memory fragments the ends climatically.

Alternative Take:

If there were to be complaints against Big O, it would have to be pertaining to season two. The pacing steps up 2-3 notches in speed and the side stories are all nearly done away with to focus on the main plot line dealing with the fate of the city/world and Rosewaters. The religious tones shift dramatically from an undertone to a much more heavy handed approach that, back in the day, did little more than confuse viewers. To be clear the series is chock full of Christian references right from the beginning. But they were always lurking as a question mark, setting, background item, or terminology. In the second season we’re getting frequent monologing from the New Testament, a lot more imagery, much less that one of the characters is directly alluded to being lucifer.

To be clear, I think in my older self now who’s read through the Bible and is much more cognisant of how mass media treats Christian material in general, I appreciate that they tried to present it legitimately (as possible anyway) and yet use it as a “artifact” of hope. On another level you could draw a parallel that it was an allegory, being that scriptures could be used for good, or distorted and misinterpreted for evil purposes. The series is better for it having been there, it just got over the top and used as a crutch in places of the S2.

The issue is more that Big O, felt that it stopped being “Big O” and became an action anime laden with too many references (at least for the age group watching at that time). With a lot of leeway, I’d almost compare it to the noticeable change between Star Wars 4-6 and the prequels. The fans reacted to some degree in the same way. That isn’t to say you shouldn’t watch it, just that don’t expect more of exactly the same thing. It’s like when a webcomic or manga gets taken over by another author. The cast is the same, the plot is a continuation, but it just feels off. Ironically, ordering the S2, sealed the fate of Big O, as it’s been said that in the companion guide book the ending was different and left the option of a continuation.

If you’re interested in some of the fan base’s theories of the ending (after watching of course), you can jump down to the bottom of this archived page here: http://kiserai.net/bigo/

Both soundtracks are on Grooveshark.

(And yes I was deliberately more vague about the plot this go around, so you’ll get to experience it for yourself.)

Verdict:

Overall – Solid 8.6

S1 – 8.4

S2 – 7.2

Zinv Says: “Vous êtes si gentil”

MangaMan
      Greetings all, MangaMan here! I would like to share with you my latest review: Umineko When They Cry part 3! In the video, I take a look at the third part of the Umineko no Naku Koro ni anime series!

Click MangaMan Reviews Umineko When They Cry part 3 for the youtube verison!

iloveit1

Or Click MangaMan Reviews Umineko When They Cry Part 3 Uncut to watch the uncut Dailymotion version with a brand new theme song and different ending theme song! badass1

If you want to start from the beginning of the Umineko Review saga you can start with Umineko Prologue or you can skip right to the first part of the review: MangaMan Reviews Umineko When They Cry part 1

Enjoy! iloveit1

MangaMan

Dagon123 wrote:

HYPER POLICE

Huh, I’ll have to check it out! kiyonesmile1

WisperG
      Rather than recommending a title, I’m asking for some recommendations on a retro anime Movie/OVA watch-a-thon I’m gonna have. I made a pretty big list of titles that caught my eye, and now I’m trying to narrow it down and prioritize them. The list runs the whole range of classics, to so-bad-its-good titles, to steaming piles of crap, to things I’d never even heard of before last week. Cheesy old dubs are a plus, if one exists, and of course suggestions for other good/cheesy/bad titles from the 80s/90s are welcome.

Here’s my initial list:

Crusher Joe (movie and OVAs)

Demon City Shinjuku

Digital Devil Story

Dragon Half

Elf 17

The Heroic Legend of Arslan OVAs

MAPS (both the 80s and 90s OVAs)

Mask of Zeguy

Mermaid Forest/Scar

Please Save My Earth

Prefectural Earth Defense Force

Project A-ko

Rumik World OVAs

Salamander

Tokyo Revelation

Ultimate Teacher

Wicked City

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I’ll chip in a bit here! You’ve got some titles I’d like to get to someday as well, as many are before my time.

Cheesy dubs, you say? Keep Project A-ko on your list then! (Not saying they’re bad, it’s just Project A-ko itself is pretty cheesy.)

Since it’s kind of a one-and-done experience, Elf 17 OVA might be a good addition for a marathon.

Speaking of one-and-done, if you’re looking for suggestions of something quick, from the eighties, and something you may have never heard of before, maybe take a look at Outlanders. It’s…a little weird, I must say, nothing spectacular but the animation’s nice enough and Kahm is definitely eighties-flared eye candy of the ‘strong gal’ variety with a flair of the oddly eccentric (yes, I mean the horns).

And speaking of shorties, might as well keep Dragon Half on your list: those two episodes fly by, and it’s kind of a fun little romp.

For good measure, you’ve likely seen it but just in case you or anyone else reading this hasn’t had the pleasure, check out the original Bubblegum Crisis OVA. It’s awesome. (And since you said nineties as well, the Tokyo 2040 remake is actually amazing as well, but it’s a much larger time commitment i.e. not marathon material.)

In the mood for Sword & Sorcery circa 1990s that’s not Slayers? Ruin Explorers is a fun (four ep?) OVA experience.

Anyway, there’s a few from me, a motley mix of 80s/90s, short/really short, quality/meh. ^^; Have fun!

(Not to add too many on your pile, here, but while I’m thinking about it, if anyone has an opinion on Wanna-Be’s and would like to share, please do! I forgot until now that it’s been on my list.)

WisperG
      Thanks for the input Who!

A-ko was one a handful I was planning to watch regardless of what anyone said. I’ll definitely keep Elf 17 and Dragon Half on there as well.

I’ll check out Ruin Explorers too. I’ve heard of that one before, but never paid it much attention.

I haven’t heard of Wanna Be’s, but given the title and premise it basically seems like an 80’s version of the recent female-wrestling title Wanna Be the Strongest in the World. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, but I guess I’ll toss it on the pile and give it a fair shot.

Coincidentally, while I haven’t seen a whole lot of 80’s anime, I actually have watched Outlanders. A few years ago I was told it was basically an Urusei Yatsura clone, so I immediately ordered the disc from Netflix ^^; It wasn’t great, but it was a fun title.

You may not know this, but I actually backed Animeigo’s Kickstarter for the Bluray set of Bubblegum Crisis. I haven’t watched it yet, but it’s behind me on my shelf right now, lol. So while that one is on my main list of stuff to watch, I omitted it from this 80s/90s list since I already own it (All of the titles I included are ones I don’t/can’t own, because they’re either rare, VHS-only, or never licensed).

WisperG
      One title down, a whole bunch to go…

#1 Rumiko Tahahashi’s Mermaid Forest (1991 OVA)

There will be blood… and dead mermaids.

This is the dark side of Rumoko Takahashi. Just because she’s most well known for wacky, mostly-family-friendly rom-coms doesn’t mean she isn’t good at writing horror too. I highly recommend the Mermaid Saga manga to anyone with an interest in Rumiko Tahahashi’s works.

The Saga is told through a series of arcs and vignettes that follow protagonists Yuta and Mana as they travel Japan and inevitably end up involved in another series of events involving mermaids and the power of immortality that one has a (small) chance of gaining if they eat a mermaids flesh. Yuta and Mana are both immortals, two of the lucky (unlucky?) few that ate mermaid flesh and didn’t die on the spot or mutate into a hideous, cursed monster, which is what happens to most people that take the chance.

As for the OVA specifically, it’s okay. It’s not amazing, but it’s certainly not bad. The character designs of course have Takahashi’s appealing, trademark look. The animation is fairly good for such an old OVA, but nothing to really write home about. The music works quite well and does a fine job at evoking a specific mood for whatever may be happening in any given scene. There’s quite a bit of blood and gore here, as well as a bit of nudity, all casual and non-sexual though, aside from perhaps one very brief instance, which ends in one of the most satisfyingly loud slaps I think I’ve ever heard in an anime.

The presentation of certain information in the episode itself is where it’s small number of problems crop up. I didn’t realize this before I started watching, but this OVA is actually adapted from the 3rd story arc in Takahashi’s Mermaid Saga. This leaves a number of confusing details completely unexplained to those not already familiar with the manga, which makes it difficult to recommend to those that don’t have prior knowledge. The OVA started off with an anime-only prologue, of sorts, which itself is quite confusing, as it apparently takes place in 1936 as hinted by a newspaper article, with Yuta running from the police and ending up being chased by armed soldiers for seemingly no reason other than as an excuse to have him killed and show the viewer that he’s immortal. This is intermixed with another scene happening at the same time (which was a flashback in the manga) that sets up what’s going to happen in the present day. The jump to the present isn’t entirely clear, just a simply scene change, until a modern car shows up.

Still with me? After panning past the car, we’re shown Yuta and Mana resting under a tree by the road. And therein lies the biggest problem for new viewers with this adaptation of the 3rd arc. Who the heck is Mana? She’s just… there. There’s no explanation given and no recap on how Yuta rescued and befriended her in the first arc of the series. At this point, the uninitiated may not even realize a time-skip actually occurred if they’re not somewhat familiar with a certain event in Japanese history and took note of the signs in the prologue that hinted towards the date in which this event occurred. Otherwise, there really wasn’t anything that I noticed that shouted “1930’s Japan” in the prologue, which just makes Mana’s abrupt presence even more jarring if you hadn’t caught on to the time-skip. This is all cleared up within a few minutes as other characters from the prologue show up with grey hair and wrinkles, but that does little to make this any less confusing and more accessible to those who aren’t already familiar with the manga.

I will admit that I was mildly disappointed that this OVA was not, in fact, the first (and my favorite) arc. The title should have clued me in, as both arcs have different names, but the first three arcs are often lumped together and referred to colloquially as “Mermaid Forest”, which led to some confusion on my part. Despite this, as a reader of the manga I quite enjoyed it and was impressed at not only how well the the creepy and suspenseful, yet entertaining story made the transition to animation, but also the perfect pace at which they were able to streamline the entire arc into a 55 minute episode. I suppose the Forest arc isn’t particularly long, but still, not once did I feel like it was being rushed in any way, which is more than I can say for a lot of modern anime with which I’m familiar with the source material.

All in all, a fun watch and an entertaining look at the lesser-seen side of Takahashi’s catalog.

– It should be noted that I watched this subtitled. While CPM released this on VHS sub-only in the States, it did receive a dub in the UK (I think?) which was… not great. I sampled it, and while I’ve certainly heard worse dubs, the acting hams it up a bit, bringing the whole production too far into campy territory, which is really not the right tone for a serious drama/horror like this.

– As I mentioned in the review, this 3rd arc is really not a good starting point for newcomers. The manga is still the best way to start, or barring that, watching the first arc of the 2003 television adaptation, which covered all but the 6th arc ( which they skipped over for some reason), should be good enough before viewing this. Or just watch this arc in the 2003 series, but I hear it toned down some of the blood and and graphic violence, for better or worse, depending on your perspective. The OVA, like the manga, is dark and bloody (but certainly not tasteless), as it should be.

WisperG
      Two titles down, still a whole bunch to go…

#2 Elf 17 (1987 OVA)

I want your… do do do pin-gu power!

Next on my list is Elf 17, a silly 1-shot OVA from the late 80’s. It stars Ruu, a cute, young elf girl who can sprout magical wings and is crazy strong (which a common elf trait, apparently), who interrupts an intergalactic martial arts tournament hosted by galactic prince Mascot Tyler (or Masukata Taira, as the subs I saw referred to him as. Presumably the former is correct.) She really wanted that prize, which was basically the opportunity to accompany the prince on a galactic road-trip. The whole tournament scene was quite fun, and featured a number of recognizable knock-off/look alikes of iconic movie and anime characters in the crowd.

K.K., a young man who’s always dressed in an armored combat/space suit and one of the finalists who had his match interrupted by Ruu, shows that he’s quite resourceful himself even after initially getting his butt handed to him by the petite elf girl. The prince is impressed and decides he’s going to bring both of them along.

Cue cliche “peeking on the girl in the bath” and “discussion of breast size” scenes. Fortunately, these are the only two scenes that really bring it down in any way. Everything else, while not particularly compelling or original, is quite fun. From there, our crew crashes on a desert-like planet, and hears about some legendary treasure that’s sealed away in some ancient ruins lined with, wait for it… giant tanooki statues, complete with giant stone testicles that Ruu makes sure to ask about.

The animation wasn’t spectacular, but certainly not poor either. Standard mid-range stuff for the era, and everything stayed on-model pretty consistently throughout the entire episode. Ruu and K.K.’s fight scene at the beginning did stand out as being quite well-animated though. The music, while mostly standard 80’s J-Pop, was actually rather catchy, especially the ending theme(see italicized quote under the title) as well as a few of the insert pieces.

Elf 17 was a silly, fun little OVA. Honestly, I kinda wish there was more. It would’ve worked perfectly as an episodic TV series. The OVA is really short too, clocking in at just 30 minutes. It may not have been fantastic, but it’s certainly not a bad way to spend half an hour.

– I watched this subtitled. I don’t believe it was ever licensed for an English release anywhere, so no dub exists.

– It seems this was adapted from an 8-volume manga, so there certainly was more story to adapt if the studio had wanted to. The manga is quite obscure though, and doesn’t even have a fan-translation. I could barely come across any information about it at all.

Please Save My Earth! and Dragon Half are the only ones on the list that I’ve seen and I

highly recommend both.Dragon Half, in case you haven’t gotten around it yet features

Mitisusi Kotono aka Sailor Moon! Considering she also played Excel Excel on Excel Saga

which is something else you might want to add to the list if you haven’t seen it already.

Now AFAIG with Please Save My Earth! unfortunately it’s only 6 episodes and ends midway in the story.

*le Bump*

Aria: The Animation:

In the future Mars has been terraformed and renamed Aqua. Akira travels to Aqua from Manhome(Earth) to learn to become an Undine(female gondolier) in the city of Neo Venezia.

Comments:

This is one of those slow meditative series like Haibane Renmei that makes a good addition to any collection, especially if you need something to use as a respite from all the sex and violence of other anime.

The extras include group interviews with the stars and Sato Jun’s “I’m Sorry Venice”.

If anything watch the “I’m Sorry Venice” extras to see how the crew’s visit to the actual

city of Venice, Italy helped to shape and define the anime to make it the show we know and love

today.

Finally: If you happen to be a dubber you’ll be disappointed in that this is a sub only anime.

That said it does have a high quality cast including our beloved Homura-chan( aka Chiwa Saito*)

and Ohara Sayaka.

* Sorry I always think of Homura-chan whenever I think of her.

Overall I would say this is as perfect as an anime comes.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Recommendation:

Assassination Classroom

The anime follows the manga which is out and can be read in English.

First season is in sub and dub, but not second season yet. The Story is fun and good, and the characters are all interesting it their own way.

WisperG
      I’ve got a few movies and short series that are at the top of my priorities list right now, so I figured I’d have a little fun with them and write up my thoughts. This thread could use a shot in the arm.

A few early Shippuden spoilers are in here, but nothing beyond Episode 114. Those episodes are several years old, but if someone still has a problem with this I don’t mind putting it in a spoiler tag.

Naruto Shippuden The Movie -Bonds-

This is the 2nd Shippuden film and the 5th Naruto film overall. I’d heard some pretty poor things about it and for the most part I’d say they were right. A number of fans even claim it to be the worst Naruto film, and while I wouldn’t go that far, it was pretty blah even by Shonen Jump movie standards. It didn’t quite hit my rock-bottom expectations though.

One of this films biggest issues was that it just doesn’t mesh well with the Naruto canon. Like most of the films, you can place it on the timeline at a certain point, but it fudged too many details to really convince you that this was an actual event that actually occurred in the downtime between arcs in the anime or manga. The other movies did a much better job at making you think it was just another mission they went on. They “fit” and they don’t really contradict anything of significance.

And one of the biggest contradictions here was Sasuke. By the point the anime was at when this movie came out he had been absent for over three years worth of episodes (~90 eps of OG Naruto’s filler hell, and almost 70 eps of Shippuden), with only the briefest of appearances in Shippuden’s first episode and at the end of the previous story arc. The Three-Tails Appearance filler arc (which encompassed most of eps 89-112) did a much better job at treating fans to some Sasuke screentime by showing what he’d been up to and having it actually make sense. This movie just shoehorns him into the narrative, and even has him bump into Naruto and Hinata, with Naruto reacting to his appearance in an uncharacteristically low-key fashion (Whoa, Sasuke? What are you doing here?)

Next, the Hidden Leaf Village itself. Different directors/writers/artists seem to put their own artistic spin on it, with some of the higher-end episode and movies depicting it a little more modernized that usual, but this interpretation was the strangest. It was less “village” and far more city-like than usual, with lots of tall buildings, row-houses and more of a brick aesthetic. It mostly ditched the heavy Japanese feel and felt a lot more European. This isn’t a negative per-se, it was just a really odd artistic decision.

What is a negative was what happened to the village, and this is where the plot just didn’t make any sense. It was attacked by an enemy (movie-original) village, and the damage was quite extensive. You’d think such a thing would be off-limits for a movie, but they did it anyways. The problem is that this obviously didn’t affect the main series at all. During the one point in the anime where this movie could have taken place, the village was obviously completely fine. Again, it’s just another way this movie kills your suspension of disbelief with regards to it actually working as an event in the canon.

Coincidentally, an extremely similar attack happens in the actual show about a hundred episodes after the point where this movie was released, carried out by one of the major series villains. That attack obviously has major repercussions as it’s actually canon. Surely the writers already knew about this event from the manga, which just makes a lesser version of it an even odder thing to include in a one-off movie.

I won’t talk to much about the narrative. It was a pretty mediocre, cliche-ridden plot and it completely squandered it’s one opportunity for a notable plot twist. Animation-wise, it was also a big disappointment. It used crappy CGI for some of the environments and mechanical stuff. On the other hand, the facial animation, dynamic camera-angles and a few of the fight scenes were pretty good-looking. The rest of the fights, and all the rest of the 2D animation wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t up to par with the previous movies. The good points I mentioned earlier aside, it looked like an above-average episode of the TV series.

If nothing else it was still entertaining, and if you like Naruto there’s no reason not to watch it, or any of the films at least once, if only for completions sake, but I cannot call this a good movie. As I mentioned at the beginning though, this still isn’t my least-favorite Naruto film. That honor goes to the 2nd film, Legend of the Stone of Gelel. It’s the most boring, cliche, narratively-flawed Jump film I’ve ever watched. Ironically, more terrible CG aside, Gelel also has the best 2D animation of any of the films I’ve seen thus far, which is it’s one saving grace. A shame that animation was wasted on such a crappy film. It’s a treat for the eyes, and nothing else.

* For the curious, this film would have to take place around eps 111 or 112, between the end of the Three-Tails filler arc, but before Sasuke decides to kill Orochimaru (which happens at the start of the next arc), who is still sick and bedridden in the film

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Again, it’s just another way this movie kills your suspension of disbelief with regards to it actually working as an event in the canon.

Best bet’s to not treat any of them as canon.

Except The Last. ;)

I haven’t seen either Naruto or Naurto Shippuden since the latter aired on Disney DX.

Just wondering if the rest of the Shippuden movies are like that.

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

Just wondering if the rest of the Shippuden movies are like that.

I don’t think so. I haven’t seen them all yet, but Bonds is widely considered to be the worst of the Shippuden films. Most of the others are either decent or even really good. I quite liked the first one (simply titled “Shippuden: The Movie”) myself.

The two that are most worth watching, and are now considered the best by many, are the two that are actually canon to the manga, The Last and Boruto (the 7th and 8th films). Though for obvious reasons they’re best watched after the conclusion of the series (or rather, the manga or the latest video game, since the anime still hasn’t adapted the ending), unless you just don’t care about spoilers or following about a specific viewing order.

Before the two above movies claimed that title, the third Shippuden film, Will of Fire was the one I most often saw pointed to as the best, as it was one of the few that actually tried to pull from the main series narrative both thematically and by referencing a number of key scenes from the last few Shippuden arcs. That one’s next on my list, so I’ll know soon if all the praise is deserved. I may even rank/score all of the Naruto films I’ve seen in my review post for WoF.

WisperG
      Oops, I missed this when I made my previous post.

Nobuyuki wrote:

Quote:

Again, it’s just another way this movie kills your suspension of disbelief with regards to it actually working as an event in the canon.

Best bet’s to not treat any of them as canon.

Except The Last. ;)

That would certainly be easier, but I just don’t think that way. blush1

I’m aware none except The Last and Boruto are actually canon, but are we not supposed to pretend that this is what Naruto and Co. were up to at various points? The movies, like the filler arcs, are just more material that expands and fleshes out the universe, and while many of them come up with pointless new villages, characters and special techniques that will never be referenced again, few of them contradict anything beyond minor details that can be easily overlooked (notably however, Kishimoto has accepted a number of anime-original ideas into the manga canon).

As I mentioned in the review, most movies do “fit” into the narrative (for the most part) and can be placed on the timeline somewhere. It’s basically Star Wars Expanded Universe territory. And if it fits, it might as well be canon, as far as I’m concerned, and honestly, most of them don’t do such a bad job at that. For the most part, they’re just self-contained fluff stories. They resolve themselves by the end and leave no lasting repercussions on the world or characters. It’s not hard to pretend that these movies really were random missions or events that happened between existing arcs without worrying about breaking canon in any significant way, if at all. As such, that psuedo-canonical suspension of disbelief always factors into my impressions of these one-off Jump films.

But Bonds just wasn’t like that. It’s like it went out of it’s way to directly contradict established plot points (like Naruto’s brief use of the Nine-Tails transformation, which should have been sealed) and include major events that would have had lasting repercussions had it been canon (several of which oddly mirroring actual events from later in the manga), but ultimately amount to nothing. It’s really the only movie (of the ones I’ve seen) that breaks canon to this degree without a second thought. It’s like they just said “Screw it! Here’s Sasuke, and the Nine-Tails, and a couple slick fight scenes, oh and lets raise the stakes by decimating the Leaf Village too. That’ll be cool.” In the end, it really was nothing more than a fanservice movie.

TL;DR

Sorry, I didn’t mean to ramble on about this for three paragraphs. Ultimately, it just comes down to canonicity meaning different things to different people. For me personally, as stated above, I’ve always preferred the “If it fits, it might as well be canon” mindset, unless it’s directly in major conflict with canon material, as Bonds was. On that note, is it still called a headcanon if it encompasses official works?

In other news, I watched Will of Fire today and will have that review up within the next few days.

WisperG
      Here’s your spoiler warning. It was hard to talk about someone’s role in this movie without mentioning the death of a certain character from the main series.

Naruto Shippuden[/color] The Movie”>

Can this be? Did a Jump movie rise above the standard of mediocrity set by so many films before it, actually making a concerted effort to tie into it’s parent series in a meaningful way? Yes, yes they did. All of the previous Naruto films (and a good portion of the filler arcs), regardless of quality, were all pretty much the same exact thing. It was always the same story, just with different characters and villages swapped out.

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

Naruto, Sakura and [insert 1 or 2 popular secondary characters here] form a team lead by either Kakashi or Yamato to go on a mission. Along the way, Naruto tears down the walls of a new movie-exclusive character, befriends them, and teaches them to believe in themselves, helping them achieve some degree of personal growth, and inspiring them as he defeats the new movie-exclusive villain (usually with some movie-exclusive, one-time-only, powered-up Rasengan) while making sure everybody knows that his ninja way doesn’t involve giving up.

I just described the plot of all 5 of the previous Naruto films. Except maybe Stone of Gelel? That movie was so forgettable I honestly could not tell you 90% of what happened in it. Fortunately, Will of Fire completely bucks the trend. Gone are the made-up villages and one-off movie protagonists. Sure, there’s still a movie-original villain with a fairly cliche character arc, but by making him a former Leaf ninja he already feels more closely connected to the goings-on in the Leaf Village. And this movie is all about the Leaf Village, and the ninja that live in it.

As the title implies, the Will of Fire is at the center of this (to be clear, this is an important, oft-mentioned aspect of the series. It’s not something made up for this movie). I would suggest reading the main body of the wiki page. It’s not too long, though there are some spoilers in there. But to summarize, it’s an ideal or philosophy representative of the desire to love, serve, and protect the village. It’s also emblemic of the hopes and dreams of previous generations passed down to the next generation.

The Will of Fire (the movie, not the philosophy) is the best kind of filler. The kind that draws on the core themes of the main series and crafts a new tale that truly feels like it adds something to the series, both narratively and thematically. Interestingly, much of the character development goes to Kakashi and Shikamaru this time around, who both play integral roles in the film. Shikamaru even becomes the de facto villain to Naruto’s hero for a good portion of the movie. Not in a “he turns evil” kinda way, but from a conflict of ideologies regarding what’s best for the village and about the hard decisions that need to be made to protect it.

This movie gave many of the secondary Leaf ninja an important (if brief) role to play. The Sand ninja played a role in the story too. The last time the Sand ninja had more than just a cameo in a movie was way back in Stone of Gelel, where they felt very shoe-horned in, and while they no one but Gaara did much this time around, their presence made sense given the context. I was rather impressed they included nearly every secondary character of note, while both giving their presence a purpose and managing to avoid having such a large cast bog the movie down.

The basic story is actually rather simple. Kakashi leaves the village under mysterious circumstances, prompting Naruto, Sakura and Sai to track him down against orders. Meanwhile, the bad guy is kidnapping ninja with kekkei genkai (special powers exclusive to a bloodline) from each nation to rather narrow-minded ends, casting suspicion on the Land of Fire, as they’re the only nation who hasn’t had anyone kidnapped yet, bringing the ninja world to the brink of war.

That might sound pretty dense, but the main plot itself actually feels a bit thin, and mostly exists to create a situation where Naruto’s idealogies clash with those of the other ninja, most notably Shikamaru and Gaara. But it works great for that purpose. As such, the actual villain’s role in the movie feels more like a subplot than something truly important, but he does set the whole story in motion, and his character arc, if rather predictable, did at least tie up in a rather satisfying way that again hearkened back to those “core themes” I mentioned earlier. Still, the story offered a lot of opportunities for drama as loyalties and duties were called into question and fingers were pointed by people without a full grasp of the situation. While the plot could’ve used some more work, taken as a whole this movie feels far more significant than it’s predecessors, and still works as a solid piece of entertainment.

To further the ties to the main series narrative, Shikamaru and Kakashi flash back to a number of key scenes from their pasts. Shikamaru thinks back to Asuma’s death and his final words, which are very important to the role he ends up playing in this movie. Kakashi thinks back to something important his squad-mate Obito told him back when he was young (a very important line that continues to be brought up again and again throughout the series). He also thinks of the test he gave Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura, where he tested whether they were worthy of continuing their ninja training by having them steal a pair of bells from him. He still holds onto the bells as a memento (which is also canon, as we see he has the bells in the main series too. It happened in this movie before the anime series, but I suppose the manga may have been beyond that point already).

On another note, the villain Hiruko and his cronies seem to be quite fond of the leather-and-straps look. I quite liked Hiruko’s design. He looks pretty cool. The others, for better or worse, wore a lot more leather, and really played up the bondage look.

Also, here’s something interesting I was made aware of. We don’t know if Kishimoto provided the designs himself or if he actually pulled them from the movie, but the four kekkei genkai-posessing ninja Hiruko kidnapped (and killed) would much, much, later have look-alikes with small appearances in the manga in flashbacks of ninja from their respective villages and, if I’m not mistaken, these look-alikes were eventually brought back to life by a villain using a resurrection jutsu and played a bit-part in the present. The anime goes a step further and actually has some of these resurrected ninja star as the villains of a filler arc. It’s hard to say definitively if they’re meant be the same people or not. Even though they look the same, their abilities don’t match up perfectly with those featured in the movie, but canonically their manga back-stories stories do match up quite well with the circumstances surrounding their disappearances in the movie. It would be pretty cool if they actually gave some forethought to including these characters in a movie to have some built-in backstory for their eventual manga appearances, even if a few details didn’t quite match up years later. Hooray for pseudo-canonism! This movie definitely gets brownie points for feeling relevant to the main series narrative in ways none of the other films did.

After the animators dropped the ball in the previous movie, this one was quite a sight to behold. Everything stayed on-model and had consistently fluid animation. I didn’t notice any obvious CGI either. The movie also featured some really solid tracks during most of the fight scenes. The ED was a decent pop song by PUFFY (whom I almost entirely forgot stills exists in Japan, as they haven’t been relevant in the US for a good decade now).

Can Studio Pierrot keep this up? From what I’ve heard about the next film, The Lost Tower, that will probably be a “no.” I will, of course, reserve judgement until after I see it, but it’s looking like the movies will have to go back downhill before I can hit the fan-favorites like Blood Prison and Road to Ninja.

I might have a new favorite Naruto movie. I rated it higher than Ninja Clash in the Land of Snow, but I can’t quite decide which one I simply enjoyed watching more. Either way, I hope I’m not overselling it too much, but I really liked the direction they took this movie in comparison to the older ones.

* Given the relevance of Asuma’s death to Shikamaru’s role and the presence of another character who isn’t going to last much longer, this movie would most likely be set right after the end of the Akatsuki Suppression Mission arc, which concludes in episode 89.

* However, the mini-arc where we learn of Kakashi’s past and hear the line from Obito isn’t adapted in the anime until episodes 119 and 120, which was the week right before the movie came out. In the manga, this Kakashi flashback was right in-between the final chapter of OG Naruto and the first chapter of the Shippuden era. So if you’ve read the manga, it should be fine to watch it in it’s “chronological” spot, whereas anime watchers should only watch it after episode 120.

This isn’t relevant to the review, but Hiruko seems ripe for gender-ambiguous fanart. So I’m rather surprised I only came across this one picture while searching for the image of him I used in the review. I guess filler/movie characters just don’t attract the same amount of attention as canon characters. He just feels like the kind of character that would be quite popular if he was featured in the series proper.

WisperG
      I finished writing this over two months ago, but apparently I forgot to submit it. So here it is now…

~~~

Here’s the usual spoiler reminder for the main series. I mention some things about Naruto’s family, the death of an important character, and a significant event carried out by a major villain. You have been warned.

Naruto Shippuden[/color] The Movie”>

I really should stop skimming reviews for things I’m going to watch anyways at some point, it sometimes skews my opinions, though in this case it probably helped. I hadn’t heard great things about this movie, so I went in with pretty low expectations, but came out pleasantly surprised. As expected, it is a step down from Will of Fire, but it was still an enjoyable movie.

This was basically Back to the Future: Naruto Edition. While pursuing this movie’s cliche bad guy, Naruto and Yamato are sucked into a mysterious light after the villain removes a sealing Jutsu from some kind of chakra ley-line or something. Naruto wakes up 20 years in the past. The ruins they were in are now a sprawling city with enormous towers. Something fishy is going on in this city, but unlike Bonds, this movie handles the twist rather well. I was genuinely surprised when it happened, and that knowledge gives a completely different context to a scene from earlier in the movie.

Aside from the time travel gimmick, the plot is the standard “movie bad guy wants power to rule the world/nation/universe, Naruto inspires someone to never give up, etc.” filler/movie formula, but I think it’s one of the better examples of that overused premise.

Since it’s set in the past, Naruto bumped into a squad made up of Minato (Naruto’s father, and the future 4th Hokage), little Kakashi and the fathers of Choji and Shino who happened to be on a covert operation in this same city. It was cool to see the adults (and Minato especially) getting more screentime, though they don’t play a huge role.

Speaking of rolls, I found myself rolling my eyes a bit when it was suggested, for the fourth time, that the Leaf Ninja split up, with Naruto protecting the Queen while Minato and the others would hang back and fight bad guys. It made sense that the Jonin would put the Genin on guard duty, but it was still a rather overused way of keeping Naruto together with the movie-protagonist and to keep the Leaf adults from hogging the spotlight for long.

Speaking of the movie protagonist, Sara, I liked her well enough. She’s the young queen of this city, and although she spends a good portion of the movie in denial about some of the questionable goings-on in the city that her fishy adviser seems to be spearheading, with Naruto’s encouragement she eventually has her “stepping up” moment, and has that “tough princess” thing down, in a similar vein to the likes of fellow red-head Nausicaa (On a basic level, at least. Don’t want to give her too much credit).

One thing the movie didn’t do well was giving a proper sense of how many people really lived in this enormous city. One of the sub-plots (one of the “goings-on” I mentioned in the last paragraph) involved citizens being kidnapped and used as slave labor in an underground factory. Naruto and Sara meet a small, ragtag group of “rebels” made up of a wide age-range of people from the young to the elderly (but mostly consisting of children) who have all had family members taken away. The “main” ones that Naruto and Sara interacted with were actually quite likable, so it’s a shame they basically just played bit parts. Naruto and Co. eventually spring a modest number of people out of imprisonment (couldn’t have been much more than 20 or 30), with almost all of them coincidentally being the direct family members of the rebels, and then act as though there wasn’t anyone else to save. To be fair, they were quickly pursued by the villain, so they didn’t really have the time to save anybody else right then, and presumably the rest of the citizens are tracked down and rescued after Naruto and Yamato return to the present, but the movie doesn’t actually address this. Those 20-ish people and the rebel group are the only citizens we see in the entire movie.

The ending wasn’t “bad” by any means, but a part of it did make me groan. It pulled the “we all know too much, so we have to erase our memories” thing, which is a big pet peeve of mine, and all because Naruto couldn’t keep his big mouth shut and kept talking about a bunch of stuff from the future that the Leaf ninja in the past kept telling him to stop talking about.

One thing I found rather odd was that Naruto quickly suspects Minato of being his father, even though he hasn’t been told about his parentage yet. It could be (and probably is) that he realized the uncanny resemblance upon seeing him in-person rather than just his stony face on the mountain behind the village (that is, assuming he hasn’t seen a normal picture of him before), which could make sense, though while actually watching the movie it just felt rather odd that he jumped to that conclusion on his own so quickly after seeing him without any kind of prompting or hint.

Visually, the film was nothing mind-blowing, but the animation was pretty solid. I loved the city’s architecture in particular. The ending theme was nice, though the rest of the soundtrack didn’t make much of an impression.

* This movie is set sometime after Naruto learns of Jiraiys’s death (ep.152) but before Pain’s assault on the Leaf Village (ep.157).

* However, there isn’t a good spot in-between where the team could have gone on a mission. As soon as Naruto comes to terms with his master’s death, he agrees to help decode a message Jiraiya left behind. They’re successful in decrypting it, but Pain starts his attack on the village while they’re still trying to figure out what the message means.

* This movie only fits if you assume it took several days to decrypt the message, with the characters taking breaks and doing the odd mission here and there in the interim.

* Oddly, they didn’t use the familiar poofing sound when Naruto’s Shadow Clones disappear. I have no idea why they used a different sound effect.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Drifters OVA came out on June 6th

the series is expected to come out in October

Synopsis from wikipedia: It centers on various historical figures summoned to an unknown world where their skills and techniques are needed by magicians in order to save their worlds from total destruction.

The OVA had good animation, as expected from Madhouse and Kouta Hirano anime. The story goes at a fairly fast pace, the OVA covers about 8 manga chapters. Not much is changed from the manga in the OVA, it’s a good watch, only about 40 minutes. I am trying to leave out the story in order not to spoil it for anyone and encourage to see it for yourselves.

Viewing 124 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.