Aplix Sells Anime Studio AIC to AIC’s Founder for 8,000 Yen

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Aplix Sells Anime Studio AIC to AIC’s Founder for 8,000 Yen

• This topic is empty.
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-20/aplix-sells-anime-studio-aic-to-aic-rep-director-for-8000-yen/us%2477

ANN wrote:

Aplix IP Holdings announced on Monday that it has transferred all of the stock of its animation subsidiary Anime International Company (AIC) to Toru Miura, AIC’s current representative director and Aplix’s company director. Aplix sold the 8,000 shares for 8,000 yen (about US$77) total.

Miura established the studio that would become AIC on July 15, 1982, and the studio co-produced Megazone 23 in 1985. The company has since been involved in more than 200 anime titles, including AD Police, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross II: The Movie, Ai no Kusabi, Ah! My Goddess, Tenchi Muyo!, ToHeart – Remember my memories, Solty Rei, Special A, Heaven’s Lost Property, and Oreimo. More recently AIC has produced Wandering Son, Persona 4, Humanity Has Declined, Date A Live, and Persona 3 The Movie #1 Spring of Birth. AIC has a number of sub-studios within itself: AIC Digital, AIC Spirits, AIC ASTA, AIC PLUS+, AIC Frontier, and AIC Takarazuka.

Aplix purchased AIC as a wholly-owned subsidiary for 700 million yen (at the time about US$8.5 million) in 2011. Aplix bought the company from pachinko maker Oizumi, which previously purchased 95% of AIC in 2010 for 530 million yen (US$6.3 million).

Aplix also announced on Monday that it is transferring all of the shares of its wholly-owned subsidiary game development company G-mode (total of 113,183 shares) to the company ONE-UP for 750 million yen (about US$7.2 million). Aplix will formalize the transfer on January 31.

Aplix made G-mode its subsidiary in January 2010, and then made it Aplix’s core company of multimedia entertainment in December 2011. Aplix explained that after the sudden death of G-mode’s president Takeshi Miyaji in 2011, the company’s endeavors in the anime and manga markets did not improve as a result of the merger, even though the company made efforts to restructure. As a result, Aplix decided to sell G-mode even though G-mode’s smartphone game development was profitable. G-mode’s new parent company ONE-UP is a game developer that develops mainly for smartphones.

G-mode produced last year’s Angel’s Drop television anime, as well as 2012’s Katayoku no Khronos Gear video anime.

Well this could be interesting for the future of Tenchi, considering that Tenchi has been exclusive to AIC for pretty much its entire life.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      The-Kaiser
      Participant
      Now what are chances of Funimation buying it from AIC’s Founder?
      WisperG

The-Kaiser wrote:

Zero. They’ve dabbled in co-productions before, but there’s no reason for FUNimation to buy their own animation studio. I doubt they would even have the money to keep it in operation and to pay their employees. Making shows is extremely expensive, but licensing them is much less so. That aside, the biggest benefit to a hypothetical buyout like this is that I guess they’d become the de facto owners of AIC’s properties. $77 would’ve been quite the steal for AIC’s excellent slew of licenses.

The-Kaiser
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

The-Kaiser wrote:

Zero. They’ve dabbled in co-productions before, but there’s no reason for FUNimation to buy their own animation studio. I doubt they would even have the money to keep it in operation and to pay their employees. Making shows is extremely expensive, but licensing them is much less so. That aside, the biggest benefit to a hypothetical buyout like this is that I guess they’d become the de facto owners of AIC’s properties. $77 would’ve been quite the steal for AIC’s excellent slew of licenses.

ahh very good point there mmhmm1

Nil Admirari
      none
      Damn man, if we had any idea this was happening we could have pooled some beer money together and given ’em a better bid.
      NinjaboyMMGN

Nil Admirari wrote:

Damn man, if we had any idea this was happening we could have pooled some beer money together and given ’em a better bid.

Agreed I would of thrown some money at them if I new about it.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      8,000 yen? They were just giving it to him as a present, me thinks (cuz yeah, who wouldn’t scoop it up at that price?).
      I agree with the entire idea that they were giving it back to him as a gift with the 8,000 yen/ $77 being a merely for show.I think if it were anyone else the cost would have been a lot higher and more to what the

actual value of the studio was worth.

Anonymous

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

8,000 yen? They were just giving it to him as a present, me thinks (cuz yeah, who wouldn’t scoop it up at that price?).

It does raise the question then, does this mean we are going to see more or less from aic in the future? Because to be fair, under Aplix, aic had multiple divisions working on things, like aic+, aic wind, or whatever, is he single handedly going to have the budget to keep all those afloat, or are they going to get restructured into a single house under aic again? Lots of questions, time will tell.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.” 😉

Those divisions existed before aplix, so business as usual.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.