Art Evolution

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Art Evolution

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    As promised, I have produced a collage of screenshots from the different incarnations of Tenchi Muyo! to see how the character designs have changed over the years.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Manipulations/comparison_zpsa620ec54.png" />

While the overall designs are fairly consistent, there have been noticeable trends. For example, many have noted that Ryoko’s ears have grown in size over the last 20 years. What other trends have you noticed? What effect has the introduction of CG had on the designs? What are your thoughts?

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • Replies
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      *shrug* Mihoshi’s ears (round vs pointed), Kiyone’s hair style and colouring… Tenchi’s face pretty much always looks the same. I don’t really like what CG has done to the series, from Ryoko’s ears to the backgrounds becoming to… shiny and fake looking. Shading is weird.

Good job, Pii :)

jgzinv
      You can tell after TMIL2 they went to a round kind of bloated cheeks and jaw design for everyone in GXP and in OVA3 they overdid the eyes, but tried to return to the sharper jaw lines. Of anyone, Mihoshi’s the closest to normal from OVA 3. There’s a definite brightness increase too for the new stuff when they left behind hand drawn.

Some of the Pretty Sammy and TiT stuff is the largest departure from the old material, but it’s still respectably close. Ironic it seems that Ryo-ohki’s humaniod form seems to have originated in PS.

Hey Pii… no love for Dual Kiyone from 1999 ?

Thorn
      I actually did enjoy the basic art style that was used in OVA 3 with two notable exceptions: as stated already, the eyes were overdone (sight-gags specifically) and Ryoko’s ears. She sounds like Kyle’s mom and looks like a cow. Anyway, I think the TMiL 2 art design is my favorite because, to me, the characters seem to have the most natural look in that incarnation.
      Jabberwocky
      My favorite(s) are OVA 1 & 2/Universe/TMiL1 (they’re all basically the same). I’m an originalist though, so I almost always prefer the original anything.
      Anonymous

JGZinv wrote:

Some of the Pretty Sammy and TiT stuff is the largest departure from the old material, but it’s still respectably close. Ironic it seems that Ryo-ohki’s humaniod form seems to have originated in PS.

I’m pretty sure the OVA episode was first, so it would be the other way around, especially since Ryo-Ohki’s male form has pale/white skin (which reflects Ken-Ohki as a male cabbit whose grey/white) but I wouldn’t put that thought past Kajishima “Ooo I like that design, I’m going to steal be influenced by it then take credit for it” lol

On the subject of the designs, everything is pretty good, of course until we get into post 2000 Tenchi, then it gets much too sterilized like many other anime for my own good. The one thing you can tell right away is which one had the highest production value, which was the Mihoshi Special. Tri-Shading was something you RARELY ever saw on anything but the most popular stuff (aka if you saw Tri-shading outside of Gundam, there was money), along with the attention to detail

Preferred designs for each character (I like them all but if I had to pick)

Tenchi: Mihoshi Special (he just looks too good)

Ryoko: Universe (TV1, Really tough toss up between that nd TMiL1)

Ayeka: OVA1 (By far and wide, she’s never looked as good as she did then)

Sasami: OVA1 (Mihoshi special was close but this was before she (and many of the crew) became homogenized versions to streamline the animation process, she felt like a living design)

Ryo-Ohki: Universe (Like Ryoko the TMiL1 design was nice but the universe design “kept it simple, stupid” and that helped bring out the character)

Mihoshi: Mihoshi Special (Like Tenchi, no contest, not only did she look the best in MS but it really did her the best justice as a character before she was devolved to become comic relief ganguro)

Washu: TMiL1 (The design just NAILED her personality, when I envision washu in my mind, that’ the one I see)

Kiyone: Universe (Universe again just nailed, in my opinion, the best way to convey her).

Largely I think Universe had the best designs because of how they portrayed the characters in the series, they were very “core” versions of themselves, which lent themselves to design.

Kiyoka
      Kiyone from TMIL was my favourite design. TU but with more funding. It was the same style but near OAV’s quality. So I was a happy fan seeing her with more shading and detail.

TU Kiyone is my next favourite design.

Her OAV design is my 3rd favourite. It’s mostly to do with her eyes. Whilst other characters had black pupils (did I get that right? Usually get mixed up) hers was a dark green and when looked from a distance it looked like it blended in. However I do love her GP uniform in the Mihoshi special. Those shoulderpad things were great. The black under clothes made her look badass, and made the outer uniform stand out alot.

No brainer I find her Tokyo art the worst. Don’t need to explain.

HEr PS TV series artwork is right above Tokyo in worst artwork. Her eyes looked odd here..

Whilst I wasn’t a fan of her TMIL2 artwork, it DID make her look more mature (aka older, but not old old xD). The hairstyle she had on with that suit really suited her too.

However, Pii you forgot the Evil Kiyone from the MS ending credits.

http://www.anime-gift.com/gallery/media/tenchi-muyo/kiyone/492b4a9e-d81e-11df-8228-a8bfc396a36f.jpg" />

Or we could use THIS (its that Evil Kiyone with her normal teal hair) :Tenchismile:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x5/KiyokaMakibi/?action=view&current=EvilKiyone.jpg

Anonymous

Kiyoka wrote:

He didn’t use anything that didn’t have the full range of the cast in it

Kiyoka

Dagon123 wrote:

Kiyoka wrote:

But the MS ending had the same quality as the MS isawitplz

Besides, if you want to be like that then Kiyone wasn’t in any OAV series yet he stil included them :Cheeks:

Anonymous

Kiyoka wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

Kiyoka wrote:

But the MS ending had the same quality as the MS isawitplz

Besides, if you want to be like that then Kiyone wasn’t in any OAV series yet he stil included them :Cheeks:

Continuity didn’t matter, the reason he did it and what show’s he picked were what showed the main cast as a whole, hence why Dual wasn’t included, or any of the other fringes, because they never focused on the main cast and how they changed with each production. :Tenchismile:

Jabberwocky

Dagon123 wrote:

JGZinv wrote:

I’m pretty sure the OVA episode was first, so it would be the other way around, especially since Ryo-Ohki’s male form has pale/white skin (which reflects Ken-Ohki as a male cabbit whose grey/white) but I wouldn’t put that thought past Kajishima “Ooo I like that design, I’m going to steal be influenced by it then take credit for it” lol

On the subject of the designs, everything is pretty good, of course until we get into post 2000 Tenchi, then it gets much too sterilized like many other anime for my own good. The one thing you can tell right away is which one had the highest production value, which was the Mihoshi Special. Tri-Shading was something you RARELY ever saw on anything but the most popular stuff (aka if you saw Tri-shading outside of Gundam, there was money), along with the attention to detail

Sasami: OVA1 (Mihoshi special was close but this was before she (and many of the crew) became homogenized versions to streamline the animation process, she felt like a living design)

Ryo-Ohki: Universe (Like Ryoko the TMiL1 design was nice but the universe design “kept it simple, stupid” and that helped bring out the character)

Mihoshi: Mihoshi Special (Like Tenchi, no contest, not only did she look the best in MS but it really did her the best justice as a character before she was devolved to become comic relief ganguro)

Washu: TMiL1 (The design just NAILED her personality, when I envision washu in my mind, that’ the one I see)

Kiyone: Universe (Universe again just nailed, in my opinion, the best way to convey her).

Largely I think Universe had the best designs because of how they portrayed the characters in the series, they were very “core” versions of themselves, which lent themselves to design.

Alright, I must not have the same artistic eye as everyone else. I look at OVA 1 & 2, MS, TU, and TMiL1 and see basically the same designs…?

The only real differences I ever saw were between all of the above, OVA 3, MNE, and TiT. I do see a little bit of a difference in OVA 2, but really only in terms of coloring. And Tenchi’s design. Sorta.

0n0plz

evilpii
      Participant
      none

Mittens wrote:

Good job, Pii :)

Thanks, Mittens. ^^V

JGZinv wrote:

Hey Pii… no love for Dual Kiyone from 1999 ?

Kiyoka wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

Continuity didn’t matter, the reason he did it and what show’s he picked were what showed the main cast as a whole, hence why Dual wasn’t included, or any of the other fringes, because they never focused on the main cast and how they changed with each production. :Tenchismile:

Dagon’s pretty much right in how I chose images. I was looking for a good, if not great, still of each character from the particular incarnation. The idea was to find an exemplary example of each art style for each character. That’s why there’s no chibi nonsense or wild takes from Shin/TV2/Tokyo, PSTV, or GXP. I realize those art styles got bad often, but that wasn’t the focus of this project.

Also, this collage is biased by my preferences, which is why Evil Kiyone isn’t there. Frankly, I like my teal-dressed GP detective better than the black-haired villainess. ^^;

As for Kiyone’s very brief appearance in Dual!, I honestly forgot about it, but that still isn’t exactly far removed from her design in PSTV, particularly considering Ramia and Misao standing right next to her. Also, the other Tenchi main cast members aren’t there, as Dagon mentioned. I meant no slight to Dual! or its fans. ^^;

To my favorites, I’d have to go with the following. Please note that this is highly biased and probably influenced by characterization. ^^;

• Tenchi: I liked his look in TM!iL1, but the mature look from TM!iL2 trumps it. I’d like to see the latter in combat, like a boss. fyeahplz

• Ryoko: This is easily TM!iL2, except for the damned ears. The leather jacket just works for me. awesomeglassesplz
    • Ayeka: As much as I like OVA1, I dig the detail and shading she got in OVA2. If I could get a blend of her TM!iL2 design with OVA2, I’d be a very happy mathematician. berwaldplz
    • Sasami: Like with Ayeka, I really liked the detail in her design from OVA2, but letting her hair down in TM!iL2 made her actually look older. Honestly, I’d like to see her actually grow up, rather than being eternally typecast as a child. imdarkplz
    • Ryo-Ohki: For the cabbit form, I’d go with MnE’s movie-grade art. For humanoid, I definitely approve PSOVA. Someone should recycle that for Ken-Ohki… oh wait. evulplz
    • Mihoshi: I’m going with OVA1, when she wasn’t a sight-gag. isawitplz
    • Washu: Meet in the middle between OVA2 and TM!iL1, and we’ve got a deal. :Happy/:
    • Kiyone: I like the sharpness of her design in MS, which adds to her no-nonsense personality there. :dexter:
    AIC is the only anime studio that initially releases splendid character designs, only for them to exponentially get worse. While Tenchi’s was more slow and gradual, Ryoko’s hair in TF… looks like the coat of a lap dog.
    Yugi12
    Personally I like the character designs of the first two OVAs, and Tenchi Universe the most.

I also have a soft spot for the character designs of Tenchi in Tokyo, and I feel that the designs get a lot of unfair hate. I also wonder what Yugi would look like in the OVA and TU art styles.

I have mixed feelings on the character designs in Tenchi Forever, and I dislike the OVA 3 character designs.

Thorn

Jabberwocky wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

JGZinv wrote:

Alright, I must not have the same artistic eye as everyone else. I look at OVA 1 & 2, MS, TU, and TMiL1 and see basically the same designs…?

The only real differences I ever saw were between all of the above, OVA 3, MNE, and TiT. I do see a little bit of a difference in OVA 2, but really only in terms of coloring. And Tenchi’s design. Sorta.

0n0plz

the only character I really notice a difference in between the OVA and TU is Washu. In the OVA she’s an adult in the body of a child. Whereas in Universe, she actually appears to be a pint sized adult (note the chest)

I haven’t noticed but thanks for the heads up.When I get around to re-watching Tenchi I will try to

see the difference in Washuu’s *AHEM* assets between the first OVA and Universe.

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    Hey Pii, will you make a version with the Manga versions put in as well?
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

chucklocker wrote:

I could do that, though it’ll have to wait until I get some time to dedicate to it. ^^;

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    While I have not completed a manga comparison table, a discussion in mini-chat a week ago spawned this little image. ^.^v

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Manipulations/ryo-ohki_zps4a795a1f.png" />

Debate was had about exactly what happened with Ryo-Ohki’s ship configuration throughout the OVA continuity. I did not include the other continuities as this image was made explicitly to address the following issue.

Series 1 has the well-known design, which appears in almost every medium of Tenchi, for two episodes. Then, after Kagato appears, Ryo-Ohki grabs onto Ryu-Oh’s core unit and produces a new form in Episode 5. From the climax of the episode, Ryo-Ohki is heavily damaged, as seen in Episode 6. This new form is called “New Ryo-Ohki” in the following piece of production art for Series 1, which I acquired years ago.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/AllShips_zps8736ebda.jpg" />

Now, OVA Series 2 reverts Ryo-Ohki back to her original configuration, both in the opening and in Episode 5 while storming the Shunga.

Years pass, and Ryo-Ohki reappears in GXP episode 15, sporting a CG version of her configuration from the end of OVA Series 1. o.o; This form is used throughout OVA 3 and in her brief appearance in SKT/WoG.

So, exactly what happened to Ryo-Ohki in Series 2? Did she just decide to use her old battleship form for kicks? Was this a lapse in continuity by the artists?

… Oh, and here are some other goodies from my personal vault of production images. ^^v

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/SojaShipDesign_zps597a117a.jpg" />

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/tenchimuyosupermanual2_zpsd2810383.jpg" />

That red ship in the last group of images reminded me of the Shadow Ships from Babylon 5.
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

chucklocker wrote:

Sorry for the delay, but here you go. ^^v

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Manipulations/comparison2_zpsd67183b9.png" />

Kiyoka
    Eww the Pioneer comics. They don’t deserve to be inbetween the real Tenchi mangas/novels.. bth_Ihateitplz_by_IloveItplz
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

Kiyoka wrote:

Eww the Pioneer comics. They don’t deserve to be inbetween the real Tenchi mangas/novels.. bth_Ihateitplz_by_IloveItplz

Considering that the books by Kajishima and Negishi are doujinshi, they aren’t exactly “real” either. http://evilpii.50webs.com/forum/sagami1.png" />

Tsushomei

evilpii wrote:

Considering that the books by Kajishima and Negishi are doujinshi, they aren’t exactly “real” either.

Negishi’s isn’t a doujinshi. It’s an official piece of Tenchi merch in Japan.

evilpii
    Participant
    none

Tsushomei wrote:

evilpii wrote:

Considering that the books by Kajishima and Negishi are doujinshi, they aren’t exactly “real” either.

Negishi’s isn’t a doujinshi. It’s an official piece of Tenchi merch in Japan.

Ah. I stand corrected. ^^;

evilpii wrote:

chucklocker wrote:

Sorry for the delay, but here you go. ^^v

http://evilpii.kicks-ass.org/comparison2.png" />

The chart is missing a series thou, the 3 volume Pretty Sammy manga by Yasuhiro Makino. ebay

http://azarashido.sakura.ne.jp/20130627/P2300630.jpg" />

Anonymous

shades of blue wrote:

The chart is missing a series thou, the 3 volume Pretty Sammy manga by Yasuhiro Makino

I don’t think the chart was meant to include everyone, just the more important people associated with Tenchi and the main cast (otherwise every doujin author on the planet could be here) and Yasuhiro isn’t one of those people, nor does his work encompass that criteria.

SnowQueen
    I really like all the styles :) (yes even the pioneer). I never seen the Negishi one before. Anywhere online I can read it or see pictures of it?
    I suppose, however without it there’s nothing to represent Pretty Sammy on that chart and the first chart did include Sammy TV. Also while if did not occur to me, Kuroda Yosuke is missing too. Unlike Yasuhiro, Kuroda had very extensive involvement with Tenchi & Sammy.
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

shades of blue wrote:

The chart is missing a series thou, the 3 volume Pretty Sammy manga by Yasuhiro Makino.

Dagon123 wrote:

I don’t think the chart was meant to include everyone, just the more important people associated with Tenchi and the main cast (otherwise every doujin author on the planet could be here) and Yasuhiro isn’t one of those people, nor does his work encompass that criteria.

shades of blue wrote:

I suppose, however without it there’s nothing to represent Pretty Sammy on that chart and the first chart did include Sammy TV. Also while if did not occur to me, Kuroda Yosuke is missing too. Unlike Yasuhiro, Kuroda had very extensive involvement with Tenchi & Sammy.

Actually, Dagon’s correct in my initial purpose. I had no idea that Kuroda Yosuke existed before you mentioned the artist just now. I went with those five mainly as they were the ones I knew the best and could easily obtain. I meant no slight to any particular artist or series. ^^; If you have scans of other works and would like to contribute, feel free. ^^v I certainly do not have a monopoly on this thread.

However, I would like to raise the point that Okuda actually has done adaptations of both Pretty Sammy (NNFT Vol. 3) and TM!iL1 (NNFT Vol. 7), so both do have representation if not solely or directly.

SnowQueen wrote:

I really like all the styles :) (yes even the pioneer). I never seen the Negishi one before. Anywhere online I can read it or see pictures of it?

As to the “Eternal Memory” companion manga to TM!iL2 by Negishi, it was said earlier in this thread that the manga is officially licensed in Japan, rather than a doujin. Hence, free versions are a bit harder to find. The images I used were old scan-lations done by Punistation shortly after the movie was released. However, Punistation’s site is now defunct, and a quick search shows that her scans are not immediately visible. Getting this manga might be harder than the others. ^^;

Anonymous

shades of blue wrote:

Not to keep shooting down what you’re bringing up, but it doesn’t look like Kuroda has done anything on his own in regards to Tenchi. Kuroda has been screenplay for the majority of the OVA line OVA2 onwards, but not an actual content creator himself, which is the emphasis on these, his style at best would just be a reflection of Kajishima’s and somewhat redundant to add, at least in my opinion.

Dagon123 wrote:

shades of blue wrote:

Not to keep shooting down what you’re bringing up, but it doesn’t look like Kuroda has done anything on his own in regards to Tenchi. Kuroda has been screenplay for the majority of the OVA line OVA2 onwards, but not an actual content creator himself, which is the emphasis on these, his style at best would just be a reflection of Kajishima’s and somewhat redundant to add, at least in my opinion.

While it is true that Kuroda was just the co-author of OVA2/OVA3/GXP/101/TTM/GXPGaiden, Kuroda also adapted Photon to lightnovel and wrote a set of lightnovels about Pretty Sammy. So he has created his own Tenchi related content, just that his own material is just not about the core series. Which is why I bought him up, while talking about Pretty Sammy.

highgear56
    I think OVA 3’s art style looks hideous, what is up with Ryoko’s ears?

I always preferred OVA 1 & 2 and TU’s art design. The movies looked good except for MnE in my opinion but acceptable. TMIL2 looked radically different like a more realistic design but looks good.

Basically I’m old school

chucklocker
    Participant
    none
    Thanks for the hard work pii! It really turned out great, and will be a nice resource to turn to in future Tenchi art style conversations :D

Thanks to everyone else for chiming in too with suggestions and clarifications about other artists who have worked on Tenchi, some of whom I hadn’t even heard of before! It just goes to show that Tenchi really was a huge and highly collaborative entity in its day! Personally, I think I prefer Okuda’s style the best, although that may just be my personal bias peeking through 😉

Anonymous
    Another correction, or I guess bring to light is the artwork in the first Hasegawa novel was done by Hiroyuki Horiuchi and Hiroki Hayashi, Kajishima only did the front cover of the first novel

We’ll have to update on the latter novels as we go along Tenchismile

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Now that we have some images from Ai Tenchi, I have taken to making my comparison collages to show how things have evolved. ^^v In particular, notice the design of Tenchi’s house in throughout the years.

http://i.imgur.com/LNc4IPm.jpg" />

Notice that in all OVA-related continuities, the roof of the house is blue, but in the TV and movie continuities, the roof is red. This may well be due to Achika’s influence. After all, in Tenchi Muyo! in Love, she suggests to Nobuyuki that the roof be red, a suggestion he considers quite bold. ^.^

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/tmil1_1_zps5599e838.png" />

Also, notice that in OVA series 1, there is no extension to the third floor next to Tenchi’s room (i.e. the one with the skylight). One wonders if that was added due to the extra tenants. qt1

Interestingly, Ai Tenchi is using the design and coloration from “Night Before the Carnival”, rather than the larger post-series 1 OVA design or the red-roofed TV series design. What are your thoughts on the design choices? Tenchismile

Another point of interest is Washu’s door in different incarnations of the series.

http://i.imgur.com/vzUwgsn.jpg" />

Overall, the designs are nearly identical. Notably, all the large post-series 1 OVA design have the stairs descending to the left of Washu’s door. However, the more classical design has a mix. Universe/iL1 both have the stairs descending to the right like “Night Before the Carnival”. Yet, Tenchi in Tokyo and Ai Tenchi both have the stairs descending to the left, like the large post-series 1 OVA design. This is odd as it would imply that those two are using the classical exterior with the newer interior. Are those compatible? wth2 What are your thoughts?

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    With Ai Tenchi now concluded, I believe it is time to update the anime comparison image. Unfortunately, the full resolution file is far too large for Imgur, so I put it in Dropbox. blush1
    Unfortunately the sign up for Dropbox obscures the Ai Tenchiart work.
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Unfortunately the sign up for Dropbox obscures the Ai Tenchiart work.

You can close the signup dialog and right click on the image to download the full rsolution image. You don’t have to sign up. I checked to be sure of that before I posted the image.

Nil Admirari
    none
    I’ve rehosted the image to flickr, in order to allow for full viewing in-browser. It is a 24MB file though so, keep your memory leaks in check.
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

Nil Admirari wrote:

I’ve rehosted the image to flickr, in order to allow for full viewing in-browser. It is a 24MB file though so, keep your memory leaks in check.

Thanks, Nil. mmhmm1

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    As I’ve been reviewing the Ai Tenchi manga, I decided it was time to update some images. In particular, here is the manga comparison chart, now including Haruna Nakazato’s manga. I also included Momo and Beni because, if you’ve read the manga or watched the show, they are main characters in their own right. ^^v

https://i.imgur.com/950oyTd.jpg" />

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    And, let’s also give the anime comparison a little love as well. ^-^

https://i.imgur.com/zID9yMA.jpg" />

• Viewing 41 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.