Book Cover for first release?

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat Book Cover for first release?

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Hey everyone, as some of you know I have been working towards becoming a successfully published author, and now I have a few connections to make my book come to light, my first story I may self publish and was developing a cover for the book itself.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/527949_392124477512018_1726713971_n.jpg" />

Its not the best picture in the world but this was my general idea I had for it. Tell me what you guys think ^.^

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      I personally like it, but I have a word of advice, try and do something that looks cool and sticks out, but is also semi-original, for instance, don’t make the front cover of someone standing as a silhouette to a lighter background casting a shadow, WAY too many book covers have this, look around at other professional covers of released books and see if the cover you want is relatively close. I know you may really like a certain design, but then again, so do book publishers and editors so, lol. Just my 2 cents
      I agree that the cover does look good.However I am a bit confused as to wheter you are writing a horror or

sci-fi thriller.The title and front cover could go either way.I take it this is the first in a series.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I of course don’t know about the content of your work (whether the cover is “fitting” or what have you) but it looks good. Interesting how the back and front look completely different; I think with crowded book shelves, the important thing with a cover is that it sticks out, and this probably would.

p.s. best of luck on getting published!

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Now my turn to reply to you all, lol.

Dagon, I completely agree, the silhouette with the bright background is very overused, but it seems publishers have a say-so in the cover, since they want to use the formula that works, thats why this is only an experiment for if I end up going through self publishing. I tried to create an original looking background, as well as keeping to an eye-catching cover, which Who pointed out; in a crowded bookshelf, you want something to basically perplex you to read it and the cover is the easiest way.

As for content-wise, for Mitsuki, it is a sci-fi and dark fantasy mixture, as well as throwing in some horror elements into it, so in a way its a unique combination(or at least semi-unique). Also yes it is so far a planned 5 part series. I even have a vague concept of a multi-verse.

Who, I guess I should give a synopsis for you and everyone else of the story. As of this(and here is some stuff for getting your work noticed, some stuff that helped me) I planned out a well-written synopsis that is meant to intrigue you, and to entice you read it.

“A boy named Gavin living as a high school student on the cusp of graduation. Everything changed the day that a mysterious demonic race laid waste to the planet. The next thing after this “Reaping” Gavin wakes up in a world overran by these beings. After being found by what is to be the Remnants of normal humanity, he learns of an old prophecy that these beings, these Borgia, have. A savior will rise from the wastes to reclaim the world, or to annihilate humanity. Gavin must fulfill this new burden. Now he learns he is followed by a group of new age knights called the Seraph and must find this group and find out more about his past; his mother the Purifier and his true bloodline and power…”

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      My one problem with the story is that it sounds a bit too much like several anime I can think of.I think it would be more interesting if you had a twist where the Borgia turn out to be the good guys at the end.At least that is the way I would have done it so it doesn’t sound too generic.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      That in truth is something I planned ahead on. I had something set up that way to where they havent been the “bad guys” after all. The book overall is to show that humanity has its darkest moments and can be monstrous, also it represents the concept that there is always dark amongst the light and vice versa. There are many underlying themes other than that of course, including ignorance to what is different(via the war in the first place). The first book wont tie it all in since its a series, however as it progresses, it will bring everything to full circle.

It also brings in a time-travel aspect as is indicated in the actual first chapter itself.

Also this isnt the only series I have had in mind, however its the one I’ve established completely concrete.

Good to know.

I really like unexpected twists like they always did on The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.Of course the most

famous being the:”It’s A Cookbook!A Cookbook!” finale at the end of the TZ episode ‘To Serve Man’.

Now the idea of time travelling will make it even more interesting.Will it be like a Mobius thing where the

main character goes back to the beginning of the story?

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      It is very similar to that aspect actually. ^^

It starts with a transcendence to the future with the main character and as he discovers himself, he ends up going back in time to figure out the pieces, due to what his being really is and such. I know it sounds kindof odd at the moment, however it explains itself and fleshes itself out as the series progresses and comes to completion. I tend to set up questions to be answered and interlink ideas as writing continues forward, essentially twisting the plot and such. ^^

I’m not trying to brag or boast, I’m not the best writer on the planet whatsoever, but even my possible publisher finds the concepts I’ve brought up an interesting thing to bring.

Well you don’t have to worry about being the best writer when it comes down to it,as long as you have an interesting idea.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.