Clothing styles in Tenchi

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Clothing styles in Tenchi

• This topic is empty.
  • Replies
      I think it depends on what the styles were in Japan in the late ’80s.I’m no fashion expert,but it’s probable that they were based on what was in style at the time.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Excellent observations high gear, i thnk you’re onto something there. Films and the like are products of their time, and tenchi’s no exception (i have a similar theory regarding dbz lol). Sure, tenchi released in 92 but its conceptualization occurred long before any production (plus its not like once another decade starts on the calendar *snap fashion senses and tastes in music change, it’s gradual). Thus asserting ryoko’s wild locks are a hearkening to 80s sensibilities of beauty (which heck yes im a fan of! 80s joan jett? Eat ur heartout) isnt out of place at all. While the creative minds behind the garb of the more out of this world clothing in tm were very original, another source of inspiration–particularly for kajishima personally–can be found in oh my goddess.
      highgear56
      Something else I noticed was how virtually every female character in TM has an elastic belt (I think that’s the correct term; the belt/strap just below the breasts)

Tenchi definitely has some creative fashion designs

Anonymous
      https://web.archive.org/web/20110705220145im_/http://www.aicanime.com/about/images/kajishimaryoko.gif" />

I really wish Kajishima would have stuck with his old style, because it’s stuff like this, as well as the PAC Exclusive pic that are just fantastic

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I LOVE LOVE LOVE his designs from back in the day! The man had a great eye for taking the fashions of the day and giving them an “alien” look. Even to this day I think his clothing designs are very distinctive, but I wish he would do more than 15-layer kimonos or paint on swimsuits 😆
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      http://i.imgur.com/AMNf6me.jpg" />

So, we’ve already talked a bit about the new character designs themselves, now lets talk about their clothes!

They’re certainly very “revealing,” which is what it is, I suppose. I can like it so long as the clothes don’t lend to the characters themselves being over sexualized.

On the whole, I think Yasuda has shown a great eye for color in these getups! I particularly like the stark duo-chromatic theme for Ryoko’s outfit. Ayeka’s outfit does a good job of maintaining the elegant look of her previous wardrobe, but with a lighter and more fluid feel. That open side goes awfully far up though… 😳 . Sasami’s pink and blue dress is pretty par for the course, and the short length feels like its trying to evoke one of her Pretty Sammy getups. I really dig Washu’s lab coat! She looks like she’s ready to hit the clubs, or the labs, whichever comes first! 😆 . Finally, Mihoshi’s outfit doesn’t look terribly practical for police work, but I’m happy they kept the white cotton ball tail thing.

Anyway, what does everybody else think? Oh, and feel free to toss in the the new characters and Tenchi if you want.

NinjaboyMMGN
      Can I just say that Sasami’s outfit gives me a Pretty Samy feel, I mean it has the same dang colour scheme.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

NinjaboyMMGN wrote:

Can I just say that Sasami’s outfit gives me a Pretty Samy feel, I mean it has the same dang colour scheme.

I notice that now, I’m sure that’s no coincidence (throwing old school fans a bone).

Now, Mihoshi definitely pulls off her new outfit, she’s adorable, but I really hope that’s not the official GP uniform!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.