Con Complaints/Ideas

Forums Fan Stuff Convention Stuff Con Complaints/Ideas

• This topic is empty.
    Granted I’m probably a couple years out from being able to do what I want, but thought I might as

well start early hearing what people find to be in error or a failure of cons. What could cons be doing

better? What are some event ideas you wish cons would do? Who are some VA’s we never seem to see

east of the Ohio / Mississippi? Within reason, what’s your ideal con look like?

Sound off!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      SnowQueen
      I wish there was more notice. Someone like me who doesn’t have internet 24/7 and doesn’t have anime fans around them its hard for me to know when conventions are coming around. I just saw this on Adult Swim just a few minutes ago about a local con but it’s next week so its to late to save up money. I think they should advertise local con’s on TV more often and a couple months in advance. Its a good idea but not when its a week before the con. So I say more public broadcasting. :)

Edit- I also find the price of the conventions a bit ridiculous as well.

Anonymous

SnowQueen wrote:

I wish there was more notice. Someone like me who doesn’t have internet 24/7 and doesn’t have anime fans around them its hard for me to know when conventions are coming around. I just saw this on Adult Swim just a few minutes ago about a local con but it’s next week so its to late to save up money. I think they should advertise local con’s on TV more often and a couple months in advance. Its a good idea but not when its a week before the con. So I say more public broadcasting. :)

Not to shoot you down or anything Snowqueen, but most cons simply can’t budget getting to people who aren’t on the internet. Paying to be on public broadcasting is far too expensive for the turnout you may get, the internet can be a far cheaper avenue of advertising AND it can be aimed directly at anime fans who DO go to cons.

That’s why you see other anime cons in your state (or even close out of state) setting up booths in Dealer Rooms of other cons so they can give out flyers, because they have a better chance of getting people who actually go to cons.

While I do think Otakon or AX prices are definitely too inflated, you also have to remember that small cons are the only places you’ll see 20 dollar prices for badges, if that, I went to Glass City Con up in Toledo, and they charged 35, and they maybe broke 1000 people, why? Because it is INCREDIBLY expensive to rent out buildings and hotels.

Now onto the question

JGZinv wrote:

Granted I’m probably a couple years out from being able to do what I want, but thought I might as

well start early hearing what people find to be in error or a failure of cons. What could cons be doing

better? What are some event ideas you wish cons would do? Who are some VA’s we never seem to see

east of the Ohio / Mississippi? Within reason, what’s your ideal con look like?

Sound off!

I have 3 things I wish cons would do.

1. Make sure the staff is on the same page.

This has always been my biggest complaint, some cons can pull it off marvelously (like Matsuricon) others just have no idea.

I’d like to think that before gate, and or the day before, that the main dude and all the staff could get in a skype session or in person and say “Look, lines need to be like THIS, and like THIS”, When someone asks THIS stereotypical querstion THIS is the answer, now obviously you can’t account for everything, but I’d like to see more well oiled machines.

2. A mix of new and old voice actors.

I’d say when you make a website for the con, and inevitably make a forum (or a facebook group or whatever), ask people who they want to see, and then look at the less popular answers (or maybe some of your own personal ones) and then budget out.

I think that’s honestly one of the reasons we ever only see LA voice actors out east at like Otakon is because the end has to justify the need.

You definitely don’t want to only have old voice actors, but on the same token, you don’t only want new.

One of the things I think more smaller cons (or just cons in general should do) is get more single show casts and use that as kind of like the theme of the con. For instance, Chibi Pa is getting Matt and Petrea, so they are running with the Tenchi theme.

So lets say you get your J. Michael Tatums, and your Todd Haberkorns, but the THEME of the voice actors, could be getting 3 or 4 voice actors from an older show like Slayers, and then using that as the theme, you still get the people coming for the new guys, but you are also having older voice actors who don’t always showing up, and still not making it exclusive to either.

Oh and

3. Don’t jampack 1 day with everything, and then the next 2 days are fluff

Granted, this will be somewhat subjective to the person, and maybe its a crossover of same con organisers, but both Matsuricon and Ohayocon this year were EXTREMELY busy (and awesome) on Friday, and while I do believe in putting your best foot forward, I left early-ish on Saturday because there was just not anything as nearly as good on Saturday, and Sunday was just small anyway.

jgzinv

SnowQueen wrote:

Dagon is correct in both his responses to you, cons are actually terribly under funded for what they try to pull off.

Fans want more content, and larger convention centers, but it’s extremely expensive. That’s one reason many of them beg for

volunteer panels or volunteer staff. If they can’t get staff, it may be part of the venue’s rules they have to hire staff from a certain company at a pre determine (read: extreme) rate. It tends to be too that cons barrow equipment from each other just to get by. Which by the same token is why you see cons pushing Funimation, or whomever their sponsor is, because without that backing, you’d get a fair bit less con. Is it right? No… but it’s the cruel reality of a fan based event.

Getting back to the point of the thread though, if con prices are too high, what is your opinion of a reasonable rate for

cons of various sizes? I’d also be curious in hearing if you’d prefer a mailed con badge, even if that meant a extra cost for shipping?

Some cons would go under if they actually had to absorb the shipping costs. Think about Anime Expo at 80,000 attendees.

Even if you got reduced mass mail rates of say $2 a badge (optimistic), that’s $160,000 right there in just shipping, not even having

made the badges, lanyards, or the massive mountain that is volunteer mail packet packing, and shipping label printing.

SnowQueen
      I never really thought of it that way. Now I feel kinda rude (and foolish) for what I said. I just thought it would be a good idea but I never thought into detail as to the cost of everything that takes place. Yes I wish it was cheaper so I can actually go to conventions but I guess realistically it probably can’t be any cheaper because they would loose profits and I can see smaller conventions being more expensive because of that because they probably don’t have as much funding as something like Comic-con or other big con’s around.
      jgzinv
      A lot of smaller cons don’t put much or nearly as much as they should in the way of planning into their finances

before the con ever gets started. Many of the older cons began just by the staff footing the bill for everything, then

hopefully having enough left over to cover it. If they didn’t bankrupt themselves, they tried better the next year.

Then you have the small cons that think they’ll charge a lot up front, like $45 for a small con, and get the funding so

they can pay the staff, volunteers, and expand everything. But these implode because they didn’t put that money into

the con events, and most of all they have no following or fan base, so few show up… then there’s nothing worth the cost

to see, and they die right there.

In the same way, some cons will try to be more reasonable, and not have a con if they can’t get the funding. There was

one up north Indiana, I think around Santa Claus or thereabouts. Sounded like they had some good ideas, but they we’re a

few thousand short of making the target amount because they had nearly nothing in the way of advertising. So they died

and “hopefully” refunded the money they got before it even started.

I’m trying to think, but really the only money you having coming into a convention is the dealers hall spaces, artist alley spaces, and

backing from sponsors (which is usually prizes or promo stuff like banners, not typically money for mid and lower cons). There’s also stuff like con-branded t-shirts and special prints like limited posters. Everything else, is from badges/registration.

But still, what’s your ideal range of a con badge? Would you pay for the convenience of shipping?

SnowQueen
      When I went to come I would pay for a weekend pass which would be around 30-40 dollars with badge included so that’s a pretty good deal. I would pay for it to be shipped though if I had to but I much rather just get it at the door it saves a couple of dollars and I’m sure it saves them time and money as well. I’ve only been to a couple of con’s and the people I went with usually bought everything for everyone at once so I’m not 100 percent sure how everything works. ^^;
      jgzinv
      Well, it’s complicated. On one hand shipping it means the con doesn’t have to deal with more bodies coming

through registration. On the other, they may have more people that lost their badges which takes longer to fix,

and there’s the extra cost and man power needed to pack them.

Group discounts are a good idea, forgot about those.

SnowQueen
      yeah that’s what I did when I went is have someone trust worthy and good with managing money and they would buy everything earlier months in advance at once for the whole group. Its a little easier that way. And yeah sounds like a loose-loose situation with the badge scenario. So either way they’ll loose money along the way.
      jgzinv
      I’m thinking kickstarter or something similar may be a route to try.

Only real issue there is kickstarter taking their piece of your pie at the end.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.