Conventions

Forums Fan Stuff Convention Stuff Conventions

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Here is a place to discuss the conventions you’ve been to, are going to, the loot you’ve acquired and anything else (Unless you want to make a thread just for that con).

These are all the cons I’ve been to:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i410/kitteascone/A303F8A4-BE3D-41DD-9130-80EB7C566931-364-00000078449AEF80_zps6a3b7051.jpg" />

In order, MangaNext 2008, Otakon 2009, New York Anime Fest 2009, Kotoricon 2010, AnimeNext 2010, New York Anime/ComicCon 2010, Otakon 2011, Ayacon 2011, MangaNext 2012, Otakon 2012, Kotoricon 2013, Katsucon 2013, Zenkaikon 2013 and Otakon 2013 :) Fourteen cons, a few different places.

Huge rainbowbolded paragraph:

As already mentioned, MangaNext was my first con in 2008. A sweet little con where I made friends and played Mahjong. Otakon I’ve been to four times now. It has only gotten bigger since 2009! I thought it was big then. I always have fun in Baltimore though, and have met a ton of friends there from online and school (also see the Otakon thread in Tenchi Projects). AnimeNext is the sister con of MangaNext, usually in the same area but a little bigger. Kotoricon is 10 minutes away, a small one-day con at a college. I go every once in awhile to support it. New York Anime Fest/Comic Con was fun when I went to it. If you think Otakon has crowds, try NYCC. Of course it is comics/entertainment and then a smidge of anime, so of course it’s busy and sells out now. Ayacon =) My one and only UK convention. Stairs.. Another small con which I really enjoyed. Katsucon.. I went to it for the first time this year (see the thread I made) and am planning to go back next year. Zenkaikon– My second meeting with Chuck in lovely Lancaster, PA. Richard Epcar =D

As you can see, my badge name is usually Kiyami if I can write it in =) I go by that name several places online, on some other forums or games. At some point I tried to change it but just couldn’t so I’m stuck with it for badges.

I like conventions! Obviously. I only just started to cosplay, so I am bad at it, but will get better if I stick to it! And I can sew now :).

I plan on going to Katsucon again, as I mentioned, in 2014, maybe Otakon if money/work allows me by then. I would love to try some new cons, like Anime Boston or a Canadian con… or if I get to Japan again, Comiket.

*passes the pen*

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      I’ll be representin at the Louisville Comic-Con Friday, handing out cards and sporting the Zero shirt.
      Nil Admirari
      none

JGZinv wrote:

I’ll be representin at the Louisville Comic-Con Friday, handing out cards and sporting the Zero shirt.

Aw yes, spread the love!

Anonymous

JGZinv wrote:

Make sure you take lots of pictures!

jgzinv
      Unfortunately, I must say the showing of anime at comic-con was neigh nonexistant. There were a handful of people as pokemon, one booth for plushies with a maid/cat girl attending, one shop that sold pocky, and maybe a little anime here or there in the artist alley.

While it felt like they had all the space of a medium Otakon, just hardly was anything there to do besides tour the dealers room, go to a overpriced signing, or go to some indie films. So I spent all of an hour and came home. No one openly flagged me down for an awesome shirt.

So I’d rank it a *meh* unless you are into expensive 60’s comics, signings from sci fi people, or 90’s era toys, there’s no reason to go.

TheFrieza
      Ah wonderful, I’ll be going to MCM Comic Con in London in May, not sure how many people on here are British. Though its always very busy its always so much fun to see every ones cosplay and of cause looking for the merchandise and meeting the guests.
      jgzinv
      It seems the non anime specific cons around here are throwing anime in as a tag word to just try to grab more people.

Some are partnering with anime cons to just get exposure.

Since it’s a con thread.

I have done:

PMMI Pack Expo (3-4 years)

Ohayocon

Anime Central

Anime Expo

Lanwar (it had AMV Hell)

Ohayocon

Otakon

Chiisaicon

Aoi Uma Con

Kami-kon Alpha

Ohayocon

Louisville Comic-Con

Kamikon Omega

EvilleCon

OMG!Con

Ohayocon

OMG!Con

Yosho24
      I will be attending the Asbury Park Comic Con on April 12th down in Asbury Park, New Jersey. This is the second year in a row that I’m going and I’m planning on taking a lot of video footage and compiling it into a video that chronicles the whole weekend. I’ll be posting it on my youtube channel so if you want to see it feel free to subscribe. I’m also attending AnimeNext up in Somerset, New Jersey in June. This will be my first anime convention ever, so if anybody from the area is attending, let me know so we can meet up, represent tenchiforum and perhaps have a few cold ones together! Tenchismile I’ll also be making a video about that one too. Lots of exciting stuff ahead! If you live near me and are going to some cons, let me know. I’d love to meet up with some fellow tenchi fans.
      I’m going to ACEN down in good ol’ Rosemont, IL in May. First time going to a con ever… is there anything I need to be aware of?
      jgzinv
      Yeah there’s a tenchi panel friday at 4:15 pm and a different one saturday at 2:45 am.

I can give you some tips when Im not on my phone…

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

I’m going to ACEN down in good ol’ Rosemont, IL in May. First time going to a con ever… is there anything I need to be aware of?

Yeah. Me.

jgzinv
      Well there is of course – http://tenchiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=765

Have good walking shoes. It’s all concrete floor there.

Try to go with friends, going alone cons can be fairly boring.

Expect that if you want in a event room, a signing, to see anything, go eat… whatever, add 20% “be there early” time to whatever your first thought was… because everyone else already thought that too, and seating is always limited.

Generally ACEN was hard to get around between the dealers hall and event rooms, as they had it years past split over the

skybridges from the convention center and hotel. Those bridges are absolutely packed non stop. They also are not air conditioned.

Bring more money than you initially think, cause you’ll probably want to buy stuff, but don’t show it off either. Remember a lot

can be bought online cheaper than at Con. You should be looking at stuff like clothes, where you don’t get to try it on online… or rare items like limited prints, signings, out of print DVDs or books, or stuff that you just can’t get easily.

Pictures! Video! Whatever you can take. There’s two Tenchi panels! Schmooze! Promote! Conquer! Win!

If you get winded or bored, need to catch your breath, find a video room. They’re always about 60% full and you might find some new ridiculously awesome show to check into. People generally aren’t being jerks and talking in there either.

Go to the AMV contest, same reasoning as above.

Go to panels you know nothing about, learn something new! If it sucks, you can leave!

Get a current programming sheet and all manner of booklet stuff from info booths if registration didn’t give it to you. The schedule changes last minute, better know about it.

Keep all things in your pockets… if you set it down it’s gone. If it’s not physically tied to you in a secure way, it’s gone.

Oh yeah, if you shoot me an address, I’ll send you 25 of the forum cards so you can toss them at people at the panels.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Be prepared for large crowds, long lines, and overpriced food and merchandise. You will see and smell things that will make you question the value of human life. You will wonder if there is a single anime fan in the world who hasn’t cosplayed as a character from Hetalia, Attack on Titan, or Sword Art Online. You will encounter bullshit at every turn, and madness around every corner. Most importantly, however, you will have a wonderful time!

My serious advice is to always have a plan. Always know where you need to go before you need to get there. Find out where the cheapest and fastest food is before you get hungry. Always know how to get back to wherever it is you are bunking. Give yourself a budget, but be prepared for it to be blown wide open if you find that must have item in the dealers room.

WisperG
      Dunno what they mean exactly by Miho/Kiyo artbooks, but I just saw this retweeted by the Hasegawa Translation Project on Twitter:

http://instagram.com/p/mygoHPqHXQ/

Nil Admirari
      none

WisperG wrote:

Dunno what they mean exactly by Miho/Kiyo artbooks, but I just saw this retweeted by the Hasegawa Translation Project on Twitter:

http://instagram.com/p/mygoHPqHXQ/

In some of the artbooks there’s drawings of the two of them dressed up in elaborate outfits singing into microphones. I was able to find one but I know there’s at least one other where they’re on a stage and their outfits are sparkly/metallic.

http://i.imgur.com/lMCW6pR.jpg" />

Ah, great… now this means I’ll have to buy a t-shirt from here (along with that Fuko backpack i keep seeing on the interwebz) justto get noticed by Ryoko’s Stepdad-senpai.
      jgzinv
      Might I suggest a shirt by a certain someone.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/tenchiforum/works/11381886-zero

Ohki/fuku backpacks are a dime a dozen….

JGZinv wrote:

Might I suggest a shirt by a certain someone.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/tenchiforum/works/11381886-zero

Ohki/fuku backpacks are a dime a dozen….

Can it at LEAST be paired with the backpack?

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Z-man and chuck speak much truth in their words, I would take heed.

Quote:

Generally ACEN was hard to get around between the dealers hall and event rooms, as they had it years past split over the

skybridges from the convention center and hotel(s). Those bridges are absolutely packed non stop. They also are not air conditioned.

Actually, they are A/C’ed; you just can’t feel it sometimes. ;)

Quote:

Get a current programming sheet and all manner of booklet stuff from info booths if registration didn’t give it to you. The schedule changes last minute, better know about it.

If you have a smartphone, get the Guidebook app. ACen has published the full schedule to it the past two years; you can plan your day, as well as receive push alerts and last-minute updates on the go.

Now on the pricing of those DVDs… how sticker-shocked should I be?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Very. Almost everything you find will be priced at least $10 higher than you can get it at Rightstuf or Amazon. They don’t care because they know people will impulse buy anyway. What you really need to keep an eye out for are the rarer items that you cant find online very easily. Those are your best opportunities to get a decent deal.
      jgzinv
      Generally a good idea is to try to get into the dealer’s hall early ish as you are comfortable doing, and then

do a once over of everything there. Then go back through and get the things that are only one of, or you

absolutely must take home.

After that, you can come back when you feel like it or on the last day to see if they price dropped anything.

Sometimes the dealers will haggle, but it’s getting to be more and more rare.

Generally though for “regular” stuff, the stock doesn’t change on the tables. The dealers just have boxes

of the same things under the tables.

So that’s why you look for the rare or out of print first, as those they do only have one or two copies of.

Good rule of thumb too, is check eBay listings by phone if you’re split over something. That will give you

an idea of availability and pricing on some things, as well as resale value.

Another question- are free concerts worth waiting in line for?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      That I can’t help you with, as I’ve never gone to one at a con. I imagine if you like the band(s) that it would be worth it. Try youtubing the groups to get a feel for if you like their music, or read some of their reviews. Another consideration is what you might be giving up by going. If there’s a really cool looking panel at the same time as the concert you will have to decide which is more worth your time.

chucklocker wrote:

That I can’t help you with, as I’ve never gone to one at a con. I imagine if you like the band(s) that it would be worth it. Try youtubing the groups to get a feel for if you like their music, or read some of their reviews. Another consideration is what you might be giving up by going. If there’s a really cool looking panel at the same time as the concert you will have to decide which is more worth your time.

Did I forget to mention one of the people headlining this concert was none other than Nobuo Uematsu himself?

julia
      TMR was worth every second I spent preparing and getting to the con, waiting in line, worth the money spent on the pass and lodging, everything! :P

I had never heard of the opening act though, Home Made Kazoku. If I were already at a con and knew they were playing, I’d def go see them again though. Concerts in general are pretty fun,so if you know you like the music then yeah, it’s worth it.

jgzinv
      HMK did a song or two for Bleach. That is about all I could tell you.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

I imagine if you like the band(s) that it would be worth it.

What chuck said. All of it.

FWIW, I enjoyed the pillows concert way back when, and heard nothing but good things about last year’s Kalafina concert.

Just over a week to go… who is it that I should be worried about again?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Got Soap?

Oh, and your towel.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.