Could the other characters pull off their own show?

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Worship / Collection / Theory threads Could the other characters pull off their own show?

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Sasami is invalid, she already got three magical girl spin-offs. The other characters have their own personalities and strengths, which begs asking, could they make their own show? Ryoko is a space pirate, Washu a genius, Mihoshi and Kiyone are space cops, and possibly make show out of Ayeka the princess. Tenchi is plain and needs the girls to make him interesting. Who would be good to make a show out of, state reason and settings of it.
Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Replies
      Kiyone and Mihoshi seem to be the most natural to me to have their own show.The obvious reason is the way that they play against each other.Of course it would have to be a bit more comedic in nature.

In short it would essentially be a Tenchi meets You’re Under Arrest type series.Of course

we would get not only the Tenchi gang but also the gang from GXP making guest appearances.

The highlights would be a sort of Gilligan-Skipper or Laurel and Hardy thing where Kiyone always

threatens to do in Mihoshi for her latest goof.

But seriously wouldn’t a show featuring our two favorite Galaxy Police Detectives be fun to watch and also soawesome1 soawesome1 soawesome1 ?

Anonymous
      If anybody could have a spin-off show it would be Mihoshi and Kiyone, they are made for one.

I think Ayeka could be in a show in the same vein as Utena. Where Sasami was all about little girl shoujo magical girl stuff, Ayeka and co. could be in a more teenage/adult oriented magical girl show.

If you switched Ryoko and Ryuko from Kill la Kill, you wouldn’t see a terrible difference, IE Ryoko could easily be in a show all her own.

I think Katsuhito and Nobuyuki could, but it’d have to kind of like The Blues Brothers I think, with just a bigger gap in the ages.

Really most characters “could” have a show of their own with the right genre.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

Dagon123 Wrote:

If anybody could have a spin-off show it would be Mihoshi and Kiyone, they are made for one.

I think Ayeka could be in a show in the same vein as Utena. Where Sasami was all about little girl shoujo magical girl stuff, Ayeka and co. could be in a more teenage/adult oriented magical girl show.

If you switched Ryoko and Ryuko from Kill la Kill, you wouldn’t see a terrible difference, IE Ryoko could easily be in a show all her own.

I think Katsuhito and Nobuyuki could, but it’d have to kind of like The Blues Brothers I think, with just a bigger gap in the ages.

Really most characters “could” have a show of their own with the right genre.

Hey Dagon you should check out this thread

SnowQueen
      I agree with Dagon ^^ Ayeka having a show about her with a Utena twist is a great idea as well as Ryoko having a show would be very Kill la Kill like.

I think Ryoko and Ayeka having a show together would be awesome ^^ maybe have Washu in it too as well and having it in the similar vein as Vividred Operation.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ifurita, Ryoko, Washu, Sonata, and Dr. Clay, In my head see a Techno-Noir-Thriller, for these characters. For Ifurita and Ryoko I see them In a gang war or conflict between themselves, during a conflict between the scientific minds in the city for total control: Washu, Sonata, and Dr.Clay.
      The only question I have about an Aeka/Ryoko series is what would they do if there’s no Tenchi to fight over?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

The only question I have about an Aeka/Ryoko series is what would they do if there’s no Tenchi to fight over?

Whether there is or is not Tenchi, they are natural opposites they will find a reason to fight. In Tenchi Universe they already didn’t like each other before meeting Tenchi

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Ryoko could absolutely have her own Space Western/Odyssey TV series: constantly on the lam from the law, scrounging up adventure and leaving heartbroken men and women in her wake as she scours the galaxy looking for her next drink of sake!

Put Ayeka in something by Rumiko Takahashi and I think you’ve got something there; with regards to something set in feudal Japan (Inuyasha-esque), the time and space adventures of Universe made me realize Ayeka looks quite natural in such a setting.

Can we put Nobuyuki in a hard SF thriller? Or maybe cyberpunk? Just for goofs and giggles.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ayeka as a space warrior princess with her sister Sasami, as a sidekick. For some reason the idea of Xena-like role keeps popping in my head either for Ayeka or Ryoko. I think Ryoko would fit the bill because of ridiculous strength and forward attitude.

Quote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Can we put Nobuyuki in a hard SF thriller? Or maybe cyberpunk? Just for goofs and giggles.

I think a geeky accountant or some corporate suit being used would be the role he plays.

Kiyone would be perfect for a mecha anime role.

Kiyone is the Clint Eastwood of Tenchi,Just put her in any Western or Dirty Harry type

cop show.

Mihoshi would into any classic style American sitcom like I Love Lucy or Three’s Company as either the zany lead character or the wacky side kick.

Washu would be great in a series like Eureka as the Henry like character,the unassuming genius.Ok she’s not that unassuming.

Ryoko, I see as more in something like Burn Notice as something on the lines of the Fiona role.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I see Ryoko, Ayeka and somehow Kiyone in a fight school. Washu and Mihoshi in some mecha storyline.
      Maybe a Tenchi version of Ikki-tousen?

I mean for Aeka,Ryoko and Kiyone.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Washu and Mihoshi in a science show shorts for kids. The smart one and goofy one, a perfect pair to teach.
      Washu pwns Bill Nye The Science Guy when it comes to doing a science show since she’s been around

a heck of a lot longer and actually dated Darwin! 😆 😆

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ryoko and Ayeka in some sort of samurai feudal era show or a fight club.
      Anonymous
      Nobuyuki and Ukinojo made me think of the ultimate question for this thread over in the Ai Merchandise thread

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:

where is Tenchi?

No need for him.

Not if they want to sell more

What if there was a show JUST about the girls? Do you think it could work?

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Dagon123 wrote:

Mind blown WANT1 . I think everyone knows the show is about the girls, but I don’t think everyone would just get rid of Tenchi first thing. The one problem would be, who would be the main protagonist or center-ish person. And yes everyone would say Ryoko, Sasami already had her shows, but I think the story would need to be written to make them a little more relatable to each other rather than having one person being the glue like Tenchi was. I think this would give a chance to see character building relationships stronger, cause in Tenchi-verses everyone was just thrown in and got along, sort of.

SnowQueen
      I think it could work depending on the premise of the show. Simular to wait Ukinojo said Tenchi is tbe glue that holds the girls together thus all of them live together. If some sort of plot hole or situation made them all stay together and of course knowing how anime sells now a days if it had sexual antics and fan service without a male character promote it then i think it could sell. Hell i would watch a show with just Ryoko and Ayeka (reasons) without the other girls and Tenchi around but not everyone would accept that then the whole “canon” crashes but really its kinda done for anyway OVA wise.((personal opinion))
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Some sort of metamorphosis-humanoid characters, kind like Aisha from Outlaw Star, in some sort of Supernatural show. Ryoko as a cat or puma I guess, Washu: Crab, and Sasami as a rabbit.
      How about a series like Lucky Star? We could have the girls hang out together and do absolutely nothing all the time. Hey if it worked for Seinfeld
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

How about a series like Lucky Star? We could have the girls hang out together and do absolutely nothing all the time. Hey if it worked for Seinfeld

If all else fails, we can just put them in a highschool together, the safe generic answer.

WisperG

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Kiyone would be perfect for a mecha anime role.

Uh oh. I somehow missed this before. Now you’ve done it Ukinojo. You got me brainstorming brainstorming stories I’ll probably never write again.

A cup of Dual. Two tablespoons of Gundam. And a sprinkle of Star Wars. Mix it all together and you get WisperG’s wacky fanfic idea #323

Picture it…

Jurai, the GP, Earth, and a number of other alien worlds have formed an alliance to combat the tyranny of an evil empire, who’s influence continues to increase at an alarming rate despite the alliances best efforts to repel them. Kagato is the Vader to Tokimi’s Emperor Palpatine. Clay, Shank, Kain (in a humanoid form perhaps?), among other noteworthy Tenchi villains are high-ranking imperial officers.

Kiyone is a mecha pilot assigned to work at a newly-opened Alliance base on Earth. She’s joined by fellow pilot… Misao. Yes, Mihoshi’s brother. Mihoshi can pull an Asuka, transferring in later, much to everyone’s chagrin. Gotta have a loli pilot, so maybe Sasami joins later too. Nobuyuki is the goofy Gendo of the series. His wife does… something. Head of the medical team perhaps? Katsuhito is the high-ranking Alliance official who drops in frequently to oversee base operations. Washu is the head mechanic and Naja works under her. Mashisu, Hakua, Seiryo and other minor characters can staff the command center and and/or account for the rest of the mechanics and medical team.

Don’t know what to do with Tenchi, Ryoko, Ayeka and Noike. If Sasami is a student, maybe they could be involved with the school in some way. Other mecha teams that might work with them from time to time could be comprised of the main casts of Dual and GXP.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

Ukinojo92 wrote:Kiyone would be perfect for a mecha anime role.Uh oh. I somehow missed this before. Now you’ve done it Ukinojo. You got me brainstorming brainstorming stories I’ll probably never write again.A cup of Dual. Two tablespoons of Gundam. And a sprinkle of Star Wars. Mix it all together and you get WisperG’s wacky fanfic idea #323

Ok, whatever. An idea, Ryoko being a undercover cop with Kiyone

WisperG

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Ok, whatever.

You don’t like it? sadface1

Just so we’re clear, in case it wasn’t obvious from all the humorous quips I threw in, that paragraph was composed entirely of sarcasm. ‘Twas all in jest.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

You don’t like it? Just so we’re clear, in case it wasn’t obvious from all the humorous quips I threw in, that paragraph was composed entirely of sarcasm. ‘Twas all in jest.

Actually I didn’t read the rest of it, though if you wanted to put that in a idea thread I wouldn’t stop you.

Well, really if you want to mesh up Tenchi, Dual and Star Wars like that you really

ought to make the Big Bad turn out to be…ta ta ta ta TA TA….DUM!: JAR JAR BINKS!

And in the final confrontation it’s our heroine Kiyone versus Jar Jar and then in the decisive moment

when she has him off balance and is ready for the kill she takes off the mask( yes in reality Jar Jar

is actually wearing a mask) and the Big Bad actually turns out to be:WESLEY CRUSHER! who

Kiyone then kills and takes the misery of the past 28 years finally away! iloveit1 😆 😆

yeah I know that was one long run on sentence, but still Kiyone killing both Wesley and Jar Jar

in one blow would be literally killing two birds.And no-one would mourn for either one.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Ayeka going through a Fight Club experience
      She pwn it since she does have her Juraian powers. And even if she didn’t use them she still be a

formidable opponent if you got her mad enough.

Washu on something like House with Kiyone and Mihoshi as her assistants.

😆 😆 😆
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I’m starting to wonder what shows the characters wouldn’t be able to pull off.
      Well you don’t want Mihoshi doing a Mr.Wizard / Bill Nye,The Science Guy type of show

that’s for sure! Kiyofacepalm1 😆

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Sasami doing a cooking show like Gordon Ramsay
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Ukinojo92 wrote:

like Gordon Ramsay

I’m laughing softly just thinking about it. :)

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Actually I didn’t read the rest of it, though if you wanted to put that in a idea thread I wouldn’t stop you.

These threads aren’t twitter, they are for insightful dialogue between fans not just 4 word responses that add nothing to the topic at hand, Wisper had a really cool idea and he shared it in detail.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

The one problem would be, who would be the main protagonist or center-ish person. And yes everyone would say Ryoko, Sasami already had her shows, but I think the story would need to be written to make them a little more relatable to each other rather than having one person being the glue like Tenchi was. I think this would give a chance to see character building relationships stronger, cause in Tenchi-verses everyone was just thrown in and got along, sort of.

There are actually a number of instances throughout each series where Tenchi is really only a sprinkle on the cake, so to speak, the girls are fine without him, and in fact have no problem doing their own thing (or want to do their own thing) Such as the girls watching the drama show on TV and eating crackers.

Since it is a Tenchi series you’d have to throw the fans a softball a little and say he was predisposed or something to let them go on their own adventures and what not, but it could definitely work because lets ask ourselves the question?

Who is your FAVORITE character? The majority of people aren’t going to say Tenchi, we don’t hate him obviously, but he’s not the reason we love the show, and he’s certainly not the reason we’re still here, it’s the girls, if anything, an all girl cast show would probably be lauded amongst the best the franchise has ever done because it would rely on the characters personalities we love to shine above everything else.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      What compliment characters would be suited for the Tenchi Characters? They could each pull of their own shows, but what about the other characters that would surround them? In the Tenchi series we had balance kind of, Ayeka and Ryoko, Mihoshi and Washu, it would be interesting to see a development of interacting with different types of people.
      We should discount Sasami since she has her own couple of series and OVA. Of course Tenchi is well

Tenchi,so that leaves the other girls pretty much plus Ryo-Ohki and Ken-Ohki.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

We should discount Sasami since she has her own couple of series and OVA. Of course Tenchi is well

Tenchi,so that leaves the other girls pretty much plus Ryo-Ohki and Ken-Ohki.

Didn’t mention them, but characters like them being around the Tenchi characters would be interesting to see. Unfamiliar, new and outside the group.

You know how Pokemon as some mini-movies featuring either Pikcachu or some other

Pokemon? It could be like that for Ryo-Ohki and Ken-Ohki.Maybe have one where they meet

one of the Mokonas from either Magic Knight Rayearth,Tsubasa River Chronicle

or xxxHolic.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

You know how Pokemon as some mini-movies featuring either Pikcachu or some other

Pokemon? It could be like that for Ryo-Ohki and Ken-Ohki.Maybe have one where they meet

or xxxHolic.

I actually thought that Ryo-Ohki would be getting a mini-series during Ai, to explain what happen.

It would be nice but don’t hold your breath.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Tenchi in a gang war anime
      SnowQueen
      Like Black Lagoon?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

SnowQueen wrote:

Like Black Lagoon?

Not that kind of gang war, Japanese street gang war

Darn…I wanted to see what would happen if Ryoko went up against the soawesome1 that is

Balalaika. mmhmm1 mmhmm1

Now as far as a Yakuza version of Tenchi would go…I can see Washu as a female mob boss.

Just give her the suit and dark glassses,and she’s ready.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Now as far as a Yakuza version of Tenchi would go…I can see Washu as a female mob boss.

Just give her the suit and dark glassses,and she’s ready.

http://www.paradigm-city.com/forums/attachments/attachment-4984.jpg" />

How about Sasami

I have to admit I just got a picture of Sasami as a badass gothic loli! blush1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

I have to admit I just got a picture of Sasami as a badass gothic loli!

How about this

http://orig10.deviantart.net/3251/f/2015/100/2/2/sasami_mean_by_yukinojo92-d8p7015.jpg" />

now we know she can do it

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

or xxxHolic.

I actually thought that Ryo-Ohki would be getting a mini-series during Ai, to explain what happen.

That’s a cool idea! Seeing a somewhat recent episode of Stardust Crusaders featuring events from a less serious perspective a la one Iggy’s point of view reminded me of this. It’d be fun.

Dagon123 wrote:

As crazy as some may think it, and as painfully obvious as it seems, to me this sounds like the best idea in recent memory if aiming for a fun, new angle for a spin-off; No Need For Tenchi: Really! or something equally facetious comes to mind. Though it’s been brought up in passing for various reasons (chiefly of what I’ve seen has been for lesbian shipping ranging from humorous to semi-serious ends), a serious approach at this setup would yield gold that Tenchi fans of every stripe and color could enjoy.

Though there’s nothing wrong with this forthcoming approach, I would fear for it becoming a cliche “cute girls doing cute things” modern creation where nothing actually happens because of all things out there, between the length of time it’s been around and its characters’ straight-up potential for emotional exploration, development, slapstick comedy along with heartfelt heartache etc., we all know Tenchi girls have potential for more. We’ve seen the girls fighting over Tenchi, and honestly in a way it really does never get old; but after getting a small taste of ‘what could be’ courtesy of Tenchi Forever, time away from Tenchi for the girls to focus on themselves individually and collectively would do them worlds of good while giving us time to focus on them not as love interests but purely as full-fledged characters entirely standing on their own. (Ironically, though convenient, I just called ‘the girls’ what we all usually do: “The Tenchi Girls” so see how unintentionally or otherwise they’re all accessories for, or at best ancillary to, “the main man” Tenchi? It needn’t be so!)

A Tenchi series without Tenchi Masaki…I LOVE it! (No offense Tenchi, we still like ya.)

Since we already have The Gender Bending of Haruhi Suzumiya why not the same with Tenchi?
Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.