Discussion: Episodes 21-25

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 21-25

• This topic is empty.
    Discussion episodes 21-25

NOTE*Do not discuss the promotional spoilery material without the use of spoiler tags as well as a forewarning on what the spoiler contains.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Replies
      Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ibjmvnaVsMKwcF.png" />

Episode 21 is now subtitled and available!

http://i.minus.com/ilfgRSOpHFGJz.gif" />

Episode 21:

Let the games begin! Each of the girls brings a little bit of themselves to the competition through their outfits. Though, I don’t really know what Yuki was going for, there. And I guess now we know which manga Beni was reading while they were stuck in the school’s warehouse, huh? As expected, Tenchi’s feminine form dominates the room and brings home the gold medal. What’s his secret? Oh, nothin but a little Jurian royalty. Fun episode!

Also, I wonder what’s up with Hana’s notebook at the end? She has a sketch done of herself and what looks like Tenchi’s female form. But is it Tenchi? Or is Tenchi reminding Hana of someone else she once knew?

julia
      It reminded me of the diary of ~destiny~ from Mawaru Penguindrum! lol

http://leap250.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/momoka-and-the-fate-diary.jpg?w=584" />

(Also the original owner’s name in MP is Momoka XD)

SnowQueen
      Looks like Fem-chi already has a secret admirer. Tenchi just had to target at everyone’s heart didn’t he/she? ;)

I have to say though seeing Momo as well…..a Momo was so cute! And Rui was super kawaii as well. I wish everyone wasn’t so mean to her. dawohki1

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      This episode certainly brought a lot to the party. blush1 The entire episode has throwbacks to earlier Tenchi, as well as references to different anime. Tenchismile By my count, here’s what I noticed.

• Hana and Touri are the announcers, so not directly participating. Their commentary is not unlike that of Nobuyuki and Katushito in Universe episode 20, and gives some insight into each character.

• Momo is dressed as a giant peach creature, very cute. This could be referencing many shows, but the first that comes to mind is Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. mmhmm1 Then again, there were those cabbit-suits from Tokyo episode 11.
    • Hachiko, naturally, just keeps her costume from the play, which is a European-style military formal uniform. This easily could be poking at shojo series like Utena.
    • Yuki dons a gym class swimsuit, which is a staple in high school anime, even showing up in a couple early episodes of Evangelion.
    • Rui, likewise, is in a bloomer gym suit, another high school anime trope, much like Achika’s in Tenchi Muyo! in Love.
    • Beni, however, breaks the mold a bit by wearing a male gakuran school uniform. I doubt anyone can question what trope she is. jotaro1
    • Ukan steps out representing… well… let’s just say someone had better “Call [Her] Princess”, or maybe queen. I’m looking at you, Ayeka. qt1
    • Tenchi, on the other hand, is more simple and refined, dare I say, like his mother or Ayeka would normally. soawesome1 Of course, this is not the first time Tenchi has crossdressed, the first time I recall being Universe episode 21.
    • I loved all the little nods as well: Hana turning toward camera and saying they “shouldn’t waste time”, Yuki’s glasses acting as a scouter (breaking OVER 9000!), even Tenchi’s sparkles. iloveit1 As for the ending, I am a bit worried of Ukan’s rather fiery interest in our young student teacher. He might want to keep himself out of her sight for a while. woooo1 However, I think Hana might cause him more misunderstandings with his mentor. No luck for you, Masaki. Kiyofacepalm1

Also, Ryoko and Ayeka’s reactions to Ukan were delightful. While I am disappointed in them not getting directly involved, I wonder what they might do now that they have seen all of those around Tenchi’s job. gendo1

WisperG
    That was a very fun episode, although I still find all these girls fawning over each other to be extremely cliche for a show set at an all-girls school :/

I will definitely be basing Femchi’s hair on Tenchi’s new hairdo gendo1

And Hana seems to have gone full fangirl mode. That book she has is strange though. What are the odds she already wrote, and illustrated the cover of, a FemchixHana fanfic by the time Tenchi and Momo walked halfway across the school grounds? Kiyofacepalm1

evilpii wrote:

Hachiko, naturally, just keeps her costume from the play, which is a European-style military formal uniform. This easily could be poking at shojo series like Utena.

I would think more Rose of Versailles, than Utena. But I guess they’re all “classical European uniforms” in the end.

Quote:

Beni, however, breaks the mold a bit by wearing a male gakuran school uniform. I doubt anyone can question what trope she is. jotaro1

Although most Westerners immediately associate that look with Jojo, I would imagine most Japanese viewers probably just see it as more of a generic Bancho/high school delinquent look, which does kinda fit her personality.

Quote:

Ukan steps out representing… well… let’s just say someone had better “Call [Her] Princess”, or maybe queen. I’m looking at you, Ayeka.

I know it’s probably not based on Dead or Alive, but that’s the first thing I thought of when I saw her dress. There are two characters in DOA with costumes that look practically identical to Ukan’s dress. I guess it’s a specific type of dress, although off the top of my head I don’t recall actually seeing one outside of DOA before.

Nil Admirari wrote:

Also, any fan of Rumiko Takahashi should instantly recognize Hana’s hand gesture here. I don’t know if it actually originated from Takahashi, but she uses it frequently in her manga.

GaianKnight
    Participant
    What I wana know now, (if this series is OVA continuity based,) is that: would Rea and Noby come and chastise Tenchi for cross dressing, or would they join in?! Could almost see such a heartwarming (or brain melting,) scene of all three together, in some fem-slash sing along, or worse: a cross dress fem slash Pretty Sammy sing along!

Mind need a mind wipe, after that one, if it happened. =..=;;;

evilpii
    Participant
    none

WisperG wrote:

evilpii wrote:

Hachiko, naturally, just keeps her costume from the play, which is a European-style military formal uniform. This easily could be poking at shojo series like Utena.

I would think more Rose of Versailles, than Utena. But I guess they’re all “classical European uniforms” in the end.

I could buy that. Tenchismile

WisperG wrote:

Quote:

Ukan steps out representing… well… let’s just say someone had better “Call [Her] Princess”, or maybe queen. I’m looking at you, Ayeka.

I know it’s probably not based on Dead or Alive, but that’s the first thing I thought of when I saw her dress. There are two characters in DOA with costumes that look practically identical to Ukan’s dress. I guess it’s a specific type of dress, although off the top of my head I don’t recall actually seeing one outside of DOA before.

I think I’ll let my fanboy show a bit, and reference one of my favorite fighting games. When I saw Ukan, I was more inclined to think of Battle Arena Toshinden, which does have a two-episode OVA set between the first two games. In particular, I was thinking of Sofia and her dark counterpart Zola.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100312081015/battlearenatoshinden/images/3/3f/Sofia_bat3.jpg" />http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100313040135/battlearenatoshinden/images/1/1c/17.zola.jpg" />

WisperG wrote:

Nil Admirari wrote:

Also, any fan of Rumiko Takahashi should instantly recognize Hana’s hand gesture here. I don’t know if it actually originated from Takahashi, but she uses it frequently in her manga.

I respectfully disagree. ^^v

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/136/4/3/Ronnie_James_Dio___In_Memory_by_JeremySaffer.jpg" />

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none

julia wrote:

It reminded me of the diary of ~destiny~ from Mawaru Penguindrum! lol

http://leap250.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/momoka-and-the-fate-diary.jpg?w=584" />

(Also the original owner’s name in MP is Momoka XD)

There just might be something there, Jules ^^

GaianKnight wrote:

What I wana know now, (if this series is OVA continuity based,) is that: would Rea and Noby come and chastise Tenchi for cross dressing, or would they join in?! Could almost see such a heartwarming (or brain melting,) scene of all three together, in some fem-slash sing along, or worse: a cross dress fem slash Pretty Sammy sing along!

OMG Nobuyuki in drag!

“This is the traditional attire for…beauty pageants!”

GaianKnight wrote:

Mind need a mind wipe, after that one

U got it

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/tumblr_ndwryxKwIO1skcniqo4_400_zpsys1my3sg.gif" />

GaianKnight
    Participant
    Too bad they don’t have black suits like Ryoko was wearing, that’d make the scene more in line with AiTM:MIB, as a sequel.
    WisperG

That of course crossed my mind, but the Rock handsign is more of an Western thing, I’d be surprised if that’s what it was actually intended to be. The Takahashi handsign, while technically identical, isn’t really “thrown” in the same context as it would be at, say, a rock concert. Hana doesn’t appear to be telling anyone to Rock On, she’s just kinda… doing it. Sort of like the Jojo/Bancho distinction, I wonder if the average Japanese viewer would even associate it with music? Aside from Rock music, the only times I’ve ever seen it significantly used in any other context was in Takahashi manga, where it doesn’t actually mean anything beyond being a recurring visual gag characters would randomly do under certain circumstances, usually when surprised.

Then again, maybe I’m overestimating the cultural impact of Takahashi’s manga, and vastly underestimating the popularity of Western Rock culture in Japan. I fully admit that’s not an area I’m well-versed in blush1

Nobuyuki
    Participant
    Hook ’em, ‘Horns!

http://www.longhornskidsclub.com/images/activities/coloring-page-hookem-thumb.gif" />

piiguy wrote:

I am a bit worried of Ukan’s rather fiery interest in our young student teacher.

“Be afraid. Be very afraid.” gendo1

GaianKnight
    Participant
    We of course all realize that because it’s Tenchi in an all girls school, that by the end of the series, every girl there, will want to marry Tenchi. It’s the Geminar problem, transferred to Tenchi now, which means another school will be obliterated by Ryoko, at the end. Okayama’s gonna have a school shortage problem, at that rate.

Course Tenchi may turn into Tenko, and then it really will be an all girl’s school. Wonder if Yosho will join as ‘Yoshi’, look over (participate,) in the school, at the end.

And I’ve had too much Halloween candy, before posting, so I’ll stop now. =xX=;;;

Kinda curious what the next ‘alternate world’ story episode, will be like there. =oo=

WisperG
    OH. MY. GOSH. wth2

She DID speed-write fanfiction! Kiyofacepalm1

WisperG wrote:

And Hana seems to have gone full fangirl mode. That book she has is strange though. What are the odds she already wrote, and illustrated the cover of, a FemchixHana fanfic by the time Tenchi and Momo walked halfway across the school grounds? Kiyofacepalm1

Did I call that? Or did I call that? tuxedodouche

Hana’s personality has basically done a 180* from how we saw her before, now that her googly-eyed fangirl switch has been flipped, and I’m not sure I like that :/

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    After the school’s festival has concluded, Tenchi goes home to relax and get out of his crossdressing outfit.

Or, so he thought. butts1

Wow. Just… wow. wth2

I thought the M.i.B. neuralizer was a meta-reference, but I think this one tops it. Doujinshi and fan fiction… in my Tenchi? Why do I have the sinking suspicion this was a double pun? blush1 Negishi, are you trying to tell us that you know what the fans do? woooo1 Are you telling me you know about the doujins? gendo1 I do get increasingly more impressed with this show every episode. kiyonesmile1 Hell, might the speedwriting be a reference to the novel competition this month? WANT1

WisperG wrote:

Hana’s personality has basically done a 180* from how we saw her before, now that her googly-eyed fangirl switch has been flipped, and I’m not sure I like that :/

I agree with Wisper. I did not peg Hana for the “rabid fangirl”, but I will say that it makes for some funny situations, particularly when Ryoko and Ayeka overhear. tenchiahhhhhh If glares could kill, Tenchi would be dead… again. blush1 I do love Sasami’s over all innocence in the matter, contrasting Ryoko and Ayeka’s initial scorn and later, shall we say, interest in the material. wth2

Also, is that Yuki and Rui on the back cover of the doujin? qt1

… I might need the memory worm to erase seeing Tenchi as a cheerleader… … Hana also has her own self-insertion character… wth2

Nil Admirari
    none
    Episode 22:

Who knew that Hana was competing in NaNoWriMo this year, and decided to use her fantasy with FemChi as the basis for the plot? Damn, that girl can write fast. I’m honestly surprised that Ryoko, Ayeka and Sasami (the former two mostly) even let her leave the house alive. And then there was the three of them, all fawning over the FemChi doujin! Another fun little episode, though also with some slight plot towards the end. We see the three camps preparing for the next stage of the battle. We’re almost halfway through the show now!

Nobuyuki
    Participant

evilpii wrote:

self-insertion

I was wondering if we could classify her doujins as that… http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/aflory2000/smile/rimshot.gif" />

GaianKnight
    Participant
    Yeesh, anyone notice that the next competition might actually destroy the school? (Or where ever it’s held?) Might be raining blood, at the end of it all there. =oO=;;;
    Nil Admirari
    none
    http://i.minus.com/ibpGM4xAO7LTBt.png" />

Episode 23 is now subtitled and available!

http://i.minus.com/iPIxcFHtMSz7A.gif" />

Episode 23:

After the past week’s episodes being nothing but fireworks, we finally have a slower episode to soak in. Each of the clubs is preparing for some big competition happening during this school day, and apparently Ukan’s got some big stakes in mind this year. Tantalizing the clubs with additional funding as well as giving them Tenchi for a day, she sure knows how to get the crowd fired up! Also, I believe we had caught a reference to the red oni and blue oni in the past, and now we’ve visibly seen the two in front of the school.

Looks like Washu’s ‘teaching equipment’ will come in handy!

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    A lull before the storm, this episode gives a little breath between the zany craziness of last week, and the upcoming insanity for this next competition. Evidently, this competition will determine the club that will lead the student body for the academic year, so both the Council and the Club are preparing for battle. gendo1

While not as action-packed as the previous several episodes, this episode had a more gradual rising tension: watching the Council and the Club ready themselves, Ukan’s allusion to larger schemes, the group chanting for the gathered students. Something big is about to go down. badass1

This episode also had a couple nice visual allusions as well.

Nil Admirari wrote:

Also, I believe we had caught a reference to the red oni and blue oni in the past, and now we’ve visibly seen the two in front of the school.

Indeed, there were two statues standing with the banner at the school’s entrance, both holding a club like Beni’s. mmhmm1 Moreover, during Ukan’s little speech to Tenchi, she references a legend that is the basis for the competition. The image shows an ogre terrorizing people, and then decapitated by a young man accompanied by a dog, a monkey, and a pheasant. I wonder what she could be referencing. butts1 What might we encounter in the next few days? kiyonesmile1

Too bad Tenchi’s getting dragged along as a prize. tenchiahhhhhh However, I have a theory. I bet, despite the legend of Momotaro, the Student Council loses. Thus, Tenchi would be forced to work for the Science Club for a day, giving those characters more screentime and depth. We’ll have to see how it goes. Tenchismile

GaianKnight
    Participant
    A dog, a monkey, and a pheasant? Sounds like a bad bar joke.

“A Dog, A Monkey, and a Pheasant walk into a bar, the Horse says, why the long faces…”

Anywho… ‘will’ the school be standing, when this is all done… mmmm1 …and kinda worried what else will happen to Tenchi later. He’s not teaching much so far, in this series. Tenchismile

WisperG

Nil Admirari wrote:

Looks like Washu’s ‘teaching equipment’ will come in handy!

Oh, you’re right, that is the equipment Washu mailed him! With how Tenchi was questioning it’s necessity while talking with Ukan, he seemed to be acting like it was something the school provided him.

That does make me wonder when’s the next time we’ll see Washu in full. Her backside cameo last week was all we’ve seen of her for awhile, and we haven’t seen any surveillance crabs either for that matter. You’d think they would continue sneaking them into the background, but I haven’t noticed any recently.

And Mihoshi has been MIA too. Is she ever going to make a proper appearance at the school? Fuedal Japan episodes aside, we haven’t seen her since her cameo at the Science Club’s dig site. Hopefully she didn’t die in the cave in… 😮

SnowQueen
    Don’t forget Mihoshi has a career! (believe it or not lol) So she’s probably just busy doing Galaxy Police things. ^^;

Anyway I’m wondering if the Red Oni, Blue Oni if Ukan is the Red one and Rui is the Blue one (just making this theory based off hair color mostly and what I’ve read in past replies on here) Guess we will find out today and see but has anyone noticed Hachiko isn’t so hand and foot and lovely towards Momo? That makes me kinda sad. T^T

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none

GaianKnight wrote:

He’s not teaching much so far, in this series. Tenchismile

That’s actually a funny point. Tenchi’s a student teacher, so will we ever see him teach?

I believe Episode 23 is indeed foreshadowing major events, but perhaps more dire ones than immediately apparent. This episode created a stark change in how I view Ukan, though I’m not entirely sure why. I think the weather at the announcement–too perfectly suited for the mood–hints that Miss Kurihara is in control of more than just the day-to-day affairs of the school.

Warning: fan-based theorization ahead!

I think Ukan may in fact be not only the primary antagonist of the series, but also the person Washu has been alluding to this entire time: the common factor between the overlapping dimensions. It would make sense, therefore, for Tenchi to be close to her (teacher’s assistant) for the purposes of his mission.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/vizzini-princess-bride_zps1b8feab4.jpg" />

But wait! I’m not done yet!

Connecting back to the school, there’s also the possibility that it may be a projection perpetuated by Ukan herself. Notice the overhead longshot of the school in this episode: the terrain looks very similar to the wooded scenery of the feudal-era episodes’ setting; then of course there’s the legend alluded to in both timelines, as pointed out by pii.

What’s more, this mysterious warping of reality (space and time), or perhaps realities, would also serve to explain how or why Hachiko, Hana, Touri, Momo, Beni and even Tenchi end up at the school: not only does it serve as the epicenter of the apparent ‘dimensional crisis’ premise and the catalyst for the plot to follow, but perhaps also for whatever plans Ukan has been harboring.

Not only is Ai still entertaining with its high-school high jinks (Tenchi is a prize? Well, of course he is!) but now I’m very intrigued with the overarching plot.

Nil Admirari
    none
    http://i.minus.com/ibkwvxObHfUXKA.png" />

Episode 24 is now subtitled and available!

http://i.minus.com/ibgnBowcWrIRdc.gif" />

Episode 24:

This school’s complete and blatant disregard for the safety of their own students continues. With the various clubs competing in the first major event, an obstacle race, the only rule seems to be to stay in the lanes and no sharp objects. Plenty of leeway there! Hachiko ends up a weeping mess yet again, though it seems with Momo there, she’s able to break herself out of sobbing uncontrollably. Perhaps there’s still a spark in her for Momo after all!

Great episode, score 1 for the Student Council!

SnowQueen
    Hachiko dawohki1 She’s so cute….
    evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Today’s competition starts off with a foot race through some strange obstacle course, and a lot of outside interference. butts1 Despite Tenchi’s plea for fair play, Yuki summons Goriki to take out her competition, including Hachiko.

This episode got to focus heavily on Hachiko and Yuki, showing again Hachiko’s “little girl mode” as well as Yuki’s scheming determination. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that the Science Club is not simply the whipping boy of the Student Council. When Goriki took Hachiko’s bokuto, Yuki pretty much had a clear shot at victory if she had rushed to the finish. She seems a more viable threat for a change. badass1

However, Hachiko had some character growth today. Momo’s cheers broke through some of her “little girl mode” and got her running again, just long enough for Tori to gain control of Goriki. woooo1 Hachiko even had “success sparkles”. iloveit1 Naturally, Goriki gets taken out again, but I bet he will return soon enough. blush1

I can relate to Tenchi’s concerns, and I note again that there are no other faculty or administrators here besides Ukan and her “toy”. Ukan does seem to be running the whole show, and enjoying what she sees. Might there be something about her we don’t quite know yet? qt1

What contest lies next? gendo1

GaianKnight
    Participant
    The next event will probably involve landmines, with the way this is all going. dawohki1
    Nil Admirari
    none
    http://i.minus.com/ibndHdcvb4hoHJ.png" />

Episode 25 is subtitled and ready!

Episode 25:

5th recap. Momo goes on tangents about how much she loves chocolate (I’m with ya there, girly) and how it makes her happier than winning contests. She also gives us a listen in to how Hana reacted before she caught up with Tenchi at his temporary home. She even has some rather mature thoughts of her own for a moment. What about Tenchi’s future plans, eh Momo?

The Super Cut is currently rendering and will be available as soon as it is done cooking!

Nil Admirari
    none
    http://i.minus.com/i1lyAy5d4CIBb.png" />

Week 5’s Super Cut of episodes 21-25 is now available!

GaianKnight
    Participant
    Some seriously good work going on folks.

…and also, were at the halfway point now. Not much plot movement. Anyone a touch worried the plot will get rushed and squeezed, in the latter half of the series here?

SnowQueen
    Hopefully after the cultural festival episodes are over will dive in back into the plot.
    evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Momo brings us to a close this week with another recap episode. She does tend to get distracted with other random thoughts, doesn’t she? blush1 I think she spends more time talking about chocolate and how she feels about Tenchi than she does recapping the plot. Kiyofacepalm1

However, there is a nice little allusion to Sasami using “magic” on Tenchi. Might Sasami have dug out a baton and said some magic words, like “Pretty Mutation Magical Recall”? badass1

Thanks again to the translation team for bringing us this episode. Keep up the good work! Tenchismile

Nobuyuki
    Participant

evilpii wrote:

However, there is a nice little allusion to Sasami using “magic” on Tenchi. Might Sasami have dug out a baton and said some magic words, like “Pretty Mutation Magical Recall”?

I noticed Momo did mention the “pi po pa”. ;)

evilpii
    Participant
    none

Nobuyuki wrote:

evilpii wrote:

However, there is a nice little allusion to Sasami using “magic” on Tenchi. Might Sasami have dug out a baton and said some magic words, like “Pretty Mutation Magical Recall”?

I noticed Momo did mention the “pi po pa”. ;)

That is, she is referencing the TV series version of the Pretty Sammy opening, Magical Project S. Nice catch, Nobuyuki. Tenchismile

• Viewing 35 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.