Discussion: Episodes 51-55

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Discussion: Episodes 51-55

• This topic is empty.
    NOTE*Do not discuss the promotional spoilery material without the use of spoiler tags as well as a forewarning on what the spoiler contains.
Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Replies
      Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ixUTRg6x8mLRL.png" />

Episode 51 is now subtitled and available![/url][/size]

http://i.minus.com/iIXhEM4BOo5Hs.gif" />

Episode 51:

The Galaxy Police are quite lax on their restraint here, having apparently already been in contact with Earth to make an agreement in the event that their intervention was deemed necessary. If the situation is as dire as they make it out to be (a new dimensional rift opening in 24 hours?!) then what is Washu’s plan here, exactly? She’s been curiously absent since the shit started hitting the fan, I’m very interested to see what tricks she has up her sleeve as everything starts coming together.

I’m not 100% sure on it, but I feel as though the two animal-aliens seen aboard the GP ship could be throwbacks to the design/race of the Operator from Tenchi Muyo in Love! It’s not exact, but the hair and fur colors are extremely close to each other, as well as the general design of feline features. Figured it was worth a mention, since there’s been plenty of callbacks to the other shows and movies left and right.

http://i.minus.com/iosW3KtcfGqyj.png" />

http://i.minus.com/ibbfDoSw2yiiW3.png" />

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      I do not believe we have ever seen the GP quite this aggressive, particularly considering the amount of collateral damage possible here. The SWAT division doesn’t seem to mind body count, do they? blush1

I am tangentially interested in the politics here. The United Nations seems aware of extraterrestrials to the point of having treaties with the GP. Considering Sasami has a neurolyzer, one wonders if there is/was an actual Men-in-Black-like organization that served as intermediary. Hmm… where have I heard that idea before? Then, one could go into the fun questions about the first contact. tuxedodouche

I am impressed that the GP have this sewn up as well as they do. They have plants as military officers on site, just like the Operative in TM!iL1. Might one of them get discovered much like he was? WANT1 The sciency bits seem pretty well set too, opposing frequencies and the like. I’m really digging this episode, and I’m waiting for it to fall horribly apart in the next two. iloveit1

That energy barrier idea reminds me of BBL Hatoful… What are you telling me, Negishi? wth2

Nil Admirari wrote:

I’m not 100% sure on it, but I feel as though the two animal-aliens seen aboard the GP ship could be throwbacks to the design/race of the Operator from Tenchi Muyo in Love! It’s not exact, but the hair and fur colors are extremely close to each other, as well as the general design of feline features. Figured it was worth a mention, since there’s been plenty of callbacks to the other shows and movies left and right.

Oh, I think there’s some precedent. Check out these screen caps from Universe and TM!iL1. gendo1

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/gisho_zps7015a5e9.png" />

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/tmil1-1_zps45b7e6d9.png" />

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Our plan is flawless.

Famous last words there, buddy.

Nobody likes a smartass robot.

GaianKnight
      Participant
      The ‘dog faces’ as referenced in Tenchi GXP, are the Wau. The android race, I don’t have a name for, but seen them around as well, including the Okuda manga. There’s also a ‘vulcan’ race, made infamous from the White Rock Fleet incident, from TM ep. 3, so it’s nominal for alien races in TM to be ripped from other sci fi, and be counted as normal now.

Oh gee, a big ol super-ego filled governmental group that thinks it knows better than anyone else, shows up to take charge of the show, and think they can solve everything with essentially, a big ol Wave Bomb. Good concept on holo-paper. Guess what folks, won’t work. Certainly not the way that the GP envision it.

And it sure won’t capture Washu. Anyone worth a grain of salt as a fan. knows that Washu already knows, and has a counter. Like they’d capture her anyway, ’cause, unless I’ve missed everything entirely here, Washu isn’t even in the same dimension as the crew. Not even in the home dimension the Masaki’s live even. It’s called a subspace Lab, for a reason peeps.

And because Tenchi is essentially at ground zero, unless Washu or something else acts, I bet the bomb won’t be cozy to be within. An artificial singularity, focused on the school, likely won’t be fun to deal with, especially since the GP are using one to stop a singularity that hasn’t officially formed yet. More like, they’ll tear the original one open early, or do who knows what else to space-time. If Washu isn’t gonna act, Tenchi himself may have to. With nine episodes left, someone has to, against something of this magnitude.

And gee, nice of that soldier to nearly pop Tenchi in the back like that, for just going after some missing students. Someone give that solder a handbook on being a reservist already. wtfisthis1

And we’ve seen the GA act this aggressive before, I wonder if the GP is doing something below the belt with this all too now, since what with the treasure that ‘may’ be behind this bomb. Something has to dig it all up, one way or another. mmhmm1

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

evilpii wrote:

A dimension-oscillating bullet… That sounds familiar… qt1

Oscillation = Hado (japanese)

Hado = Wave Motion

Where have I seen that before? Oh yeah… badass1

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/318/2/d/uchuu_senkan_yamato_wave_motion_gun_by_seekerarmada-d5kyz4i.jpg" />

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ipt1TdIQ6bGmS.png" />

Episode 52 is now subtitled and available![/url][/size]

http://i.minus.com/ikJuGgLkeMwiP.gif" />

Episode 52:

So, Ukan’s got herself armed and ready for battle. I’ll uh, I’ll just be over here doing some calibrations

Washu’s finally shown her face (I guess she saw my post from yesterday – can you make Kiyone appear next Washu-san? ) and is taunting the GP with their foolish attempt to use her own tools against her. Tenchi’s escaped with the science club and student council, I wonder if they’re going to make a B-line back towards the dig site to try and beat out the GP now?

Some fun with today’s episode title. The first two characters represent a heavenly demon, most often used to refer to the “Demon King of the Sky/Sixth Heaven”, a temptation spirit (Hello, Ryoko) who tried to trick those passing through into doing wrong. Oda Nobunaga, a samurai warlord from feudal times, used the name to refer to himself on the battlefield. Perhaps referring to Ukan and her prideful take of herself, now on a battlefield of her own. And/or even our GP leader above, raining down fire and brimstone from orbit. And to throw more fun into the mix, the phrasing is “Tenma”, which was the name of a Japanese satellite that was decommissioned in 1989. An obvious wink and nod to the Government’s MIB-style coverup for the dimension-oscillating bullet.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Wow, threw this together months ago as a joke in chat, something about riding the current hype/big names involved/name dropping left and right, etc.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/PhotoFunia-11e36a59_zpsf55e3354.jpg" />

“Talk of the recently-announced Tenchi series has created a clamor across the nation, even unto the highest echelons.”

And then today:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/8ec475bb-2764-4f3c-bea4-e081a3ecabaa_zps1ecd25d6.png" />

Relax, honorable Mister President Obama-san sir, Washu’s got it under control.

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Today’s episode only continues the escalation of the situation surrounding Junai Academy. butts1 I do find it ironic that Yuki’s spewing crazy talk about governmental conspiracies, considering she is completely right.

I did enjoy today’s reveals very greatly. Ukan pulls a spiked energy saber and rips her clothes off to show GP SWAT armor underneath. No wonder she was playing with Tenchiken when she saw it so many episodes ago. She knew what it was! gendo1 One soldier also addressed her as captain (close enough to “commander” for Nil? Tenchismile ). How much combat do you think she’ll bring in the next few episodes? badass1 Ryoko also brought some hurt as well. Everything is ramping up, and I’m stoked. iloveit1

I am very interested in the GP commander’s little vendetta with Washu. What did she do to piss him off so? qt1 With Washu herself on the field, everything is likely to get more out of hand soon enough. fyeah1

GaianKnight
      Participant
      Episode summary: WHEE!!!

And I thought it was sixty seconds, not sixty minutes, on the projectile. My bad. blush1

And now it feels like they are connecting AiTM with TU, more and more. I really now am having a hard time now seeing all this as a Tenchi Universe sequel series. The lack of either Kiyone though… Kiyofacepalm1

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/iySLLuidJZ1lk.png" />

Episode 53 is now subtitled and available![/url][/size]

http://i.minus.com/ibvmVJxWQfk61g.gif" />

Get out of here, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Episode 53:

The chess pieces are all moving into place. The GP SWAT has surrounded and begun to open fire on the ruined school building which sits upon the digsite. Washu’s got her pawns, Yuki and Rui, doing the grunt work of holding off the attacks, while the rest of the crew gets diggin. The GP seems to be somewhat prepared for some of Washu’s toys, but she’s got something up her sleeve for them soon.

Loved seeing weaponized Kumo-kun show up again. Truly the most powerful tool in the Science Club’s arsenal.

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Yuki and Rui were rather surprised to put a face to their mentor finally. mmhmm1 The two of them get to have a blast, and we also get another chance for people to notice KUMO-KUN! I noticed that Yuki’s cannon is named the “S.Star”, for “shooting star” or “superstar”? soawesome1

However, this episode is building Washu up some more. She apparently destroyed an entire star system, and even the SA’s founder can’t monitor or control. Rumors float around the GP SWAT members about her, like a ghost story around a campfire. badass1

Tenchi also drops some bombs of his own. Momo and Beni are now aware of their extraterrestrial origin. They seem to be taking it rather well under the circumstances. blush1 This will likely affect some decision they make soon.

One does wonder why Ryoko does become incorporeal and phase down to the key. The first film does put a limit on her teleportation ability, that she has to have already been in a place to teleport there. However, I don’t recall her having a limitation on her phasing ability. Actually, has she used that power in this series? She has flown, teleported, and used energy weapons. Has she phased at all in Ai Tenchi? qt1

Also, Ukan’s weapon apparently is dual purpose. It was a solid blade-like implement yesterday, but today it has a flexible whip-like feature. That could give her an interesting fighting style when she is actually in combat. fyeah1

And, someone wanted to see Mihoshi in her new costume? I think this show is psychic. woooo1

Lastly, the probe the GP shot into the building looks familiar.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-12-17-15h18m25s18_zpsb5df9aa3.png" />

It’s also from Universe episode 19! iloveit1

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/probe1_zpse7251be7.png" />

GregTheLion
      So with all the current evidence shown, it’s safe to assume that this show either takes place in the Universe timeline or is a parallel of it. which begs the question, what ever happened to Kiyone and Ryo-ohki? Kiyofacepalm1 dawohki1

The most likely reason I could think of is that the writers never found a purpose for them in the plot and they would otherwise be a waste of budget (much like Andy’s father in the Toy Story films) which in itself makes no sense; you’d think they’d at least TRY to put Ryo-ohki in the show! (Japan and their 3rd-world countries love freaky creatures, and would pay good money to have more of them!)

Also, these last weeks have sort of… crooked… my thoughts on Ukan:

From the beginning I thought she would end up becoming a Kagato-esque mastermind villain, but now I find she was a spy for the GP, but she still has tones of villainous tendencies. It’s like the writers knew we’d come to that sort of conclusion and decided to mess with our heads. I mean, I want to hate this character, like really want to, but I can’t find a good enough reason!

She’s messing with my head!! rageblow1

Then again, if the last year has taught me anything, it’s that just because you have a badge does not excuse you from being a homicidal monster “Hands up, don’t shoot” am I right?

Nil Admirari
      none

GregTheLion wrote:

Also, these last weeks have sort of… crooked… my thoughts on Ukan:

From the beginning I thought she would end up becoming a Kagato-esque mastermind villain, but now I find she was a spy for the GP, but she still has tones of villainous tendencies. It’s like the writers knew we’d come to that sort of conclusion and decided to mess with our heads. I mean, I want to hate this character, like really want to, but I can’t find a good enough reason!

I think this is part of the charm of her character and the writing of the show. Honestly, there’s no real “Big Bad” type character we can pin anything on. Ukan was the closest we had to that, and many fan theories stuck with her being the eventual Kagato. We saw her scraping for Tenchi’s sword (both of them) several times, and assumed there was a villainous motive behind it. They always gave her a dramatic appearance and stark lighting to further push forward the idea that she was going to be the great evil.

But honestly, she’s just a cop doing her job. Which is to stop Washu from tearing the universe apart with her experimentation. That’s hardly blowing up priceless artifacts, buildings and planets or staging a coup of the Jurai Royal Family. Likewise, the Galaxy Police Officer we see aboard the station has many dramatic poses and is taking drastic measures, but he’s really not evil. Neither were Washu’s intentions when she started all this, it just happened to go to shit as science is known to do.

So there’s not really anyone we can pin it on, but there’s still a lot of conflict. Who are we supposed to cheer for, if at all? Though, there’s still a week and two days worth of episodes left where someone could pull a really evil move. Then we’d be talking.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

GregTheLion wrote:

So with all the current evidence shown, it’s safe to assume that this show either takes place in the Universe timeline or is a parallel of it. which begs the question, what ever happened to Kiyone and Ryo-ohki? Kiyofacepalm1 dawohki1

The most likely reason I could think of is that the writers never found a purpose for them in the plot and they would otherwise be a waste of budget (much like Andy’s father in the Toy Story films) which in itself makes no sense; you’d think they’d at least TRY to put Ryo-ohki in the show!

As much as I don’t want to admit it yet because I reeeeally want Kiyone and Ryo-Ohki, I think I have an explanation for the former at least. In Kiyone’s case, it’s probably not that they didn’t want to (Negishi certainly knows how to utilize her character) it’s probably that they couldn’t. From our delving into the Hasegawa novels and the circumstances of their creation (thus into the history of Tenchi itself), we confirmed something that was long postulated by a few fans: Kiyone Makibi is the brainchild of Hasegawa herself. Ai supports this because as far as we can tell, Hasegawa was not involved in its production in any capacity; nor does her name appear in the credits for, say, use of her characters (like Kajishima’s does), thus no Kiyone in Ai (I am leaning towards this is simply because, again, budget: getting Negishi back was the priority and took the most doing; though there’s no direct evidence for this, there is even less evidence to suggest that Hasegawa would not want to work with Negishi and/or allow her character to be used in a new series, but for whatever reason(s) this could indeed be the case). However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason why you will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

Ryo-Ohki, unfortunately, has me stumped. She’s been in every incarnation, and for that reason alone (other than we all love her!) she should at least make a brief appearance. I’ll keep holding out hope until the 26th!

At any rate, there may yet still be hope, albeit a slim one! If Ai–a mini series with a mini production budget–can garner enough interest in Tenchi again, it’ll show producers the Tenchi franchise is still viable, and could pave the way for more projects with other members of the “old guard” on the staff (meaning Hasegawa, thus Kiyone). Why not? Before May of this year, I would have thought a new Tenchi series AT ALL was merely wishful thinking.

GregTheLion wrote:

(Japan and their 3rd-world countries love freaky creatures, and would pay good money to have more of them!)

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/infernocop_zpsd692e796.jpg" />

Nil Admirari
      none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

As much as I don’t want to admit it yet because I reeeeally want Kiyone and Ryo-Ohki, I think I have an explanation for the former at least. In Kiyone’s case, it’s probably not that they didn’t want to (Negishi certainly knows how to utilize her character) it’s probably that they couldn’t. From our delving into the Hasegawa novels and the circumstances of their creation (thus into the history of Tenchi itself), we confirmed something that was long postulated by a few fans: Kiyone Makibi is the brainchild of Hasegawa herself. Ai supports this because as far as we can tell, Hasegawa was not involved in its production in any capacity; nor does her name appear in the credits for, say, use of her characters (like Kajishima’s does), thus no Kiyone in Ai. However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason why you will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

While an interesting theory, Hasegawa was not involved in Shin Tenchi Muyo!/Tenchi in Tokyo to any degree and her name does not appear in the credits there either. Yet we still got here there. kiyonesmile1 <-- see? She’s also not directly credited in Universe for anything but the script of the ghost ship episode, as well as neither of the two movies.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nil Admirari wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

As much as I don’t want to admit it yet because I reeeeally want Kiyone and Ryo-Ohki, I think I have an explanation for the former at least. In Kiyone’s case, it’s probably not that they didn’t want to (Negishi certainly knows how to utilize her character) it’s probably that they couldn’t. From our delving into the Hasegawa novels and the circumstances of their creation (thus into the history of Tenchi itself), we confirmed something that was long postulated by a few fans: Kiyone Makibi is the brainchild of Hasegawa herself. Ai supports this because as far as we can tell, Hasegawa was not involved in its production in any capacity; nor does her name appear in the credits for, say, use of her characters (like Kajishima’s does), thus no Kiyone in Ai. However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason why you will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

While an interesting theory, Hasegawa was not involved in Shin Tenchi Muyo!/Tenchi in Tokyo to any degree and her name does not appear in the credits there either. Yet we still got here there. kiyonesmile1 <-- see?

Maybe once the wheels started spinning production-wise, it was a case of too little, too late? Assuming that, as some of us once upon a time seemed to uncover, Tokyo was going to be a continuation of Universe? I don’t know, it’s all mostly conjecture.

Nil Admirari wrote:

She’s also not directly credited in Universe for anything but the script of the ghost ship episode, as well as neither of the two movies.

Still, it’s something. The fact she worked on it in any capacity is a seal of approval on some level. Maybe even with Tokyo, though not actually working on it, said approval was given for use of Kiyone? (Which only brings up the quandary of “if Tokyo, why not Ai under the same circumstances?”)

On second thought, I quite like the idea of you shooting me down here because without the hangups I’m trying to postulate, that would mean we could get Kiyone!!! Yes pleeeeease!!!

jgzinv
      The reason for Ryo-Ohki not being in Ai is kinda obvious if you consider something… kinda the inverse of the Kiyone situation.

It’s not meant to be Tenchi Muyo “Ryo-Ohki”…. it’s kind of a obvious smack against Kajishima without being verbalized.

lol

gendo1

GaianKnight
      Participant
      I really hope that isn’t the case. That’d be a real low-balsy move to pull, that’s just gonna piss off us Tenchi fans. Call me as such, if this all be the case. wtfisthis1

And yeah, they are making Ryoko rather ‘neutered’ if they are not using her phasing abilities, for the sake of plot. Please writers, give us back the full bad arse Ryoko we all know and love/fear/cry/laugh at?

EDIT: Oh, uh….and does this mean if Ukan calls for it, the gang might have to fight Mihoshi down there? Mihoshi works for Ukan, unless I missed that whole report bit Mihoshi did for Ukan, that one episode. I mean, Mihoshi is Mihoshi, might get ugly. mmhmm1

Crazed
      none

JGZinv wrote:

The reason for Ryo-Ohki not being in Ai is kinda obvious if you consider something… kinda the inverse of the Kiyone situation.

It’s not meant to be Tenchi Muyo “Ryo-Ohki”…. it’s kind of a obvious smack against Kajishima without being verbalized.

lol

gendo1

GaianKnight wrote:

I really hope that isn’t the case. That’d be a real low-balsy move to pull, that’s just gonna piss off us Tenchi fans. Call me as such, if this all be the case. wtfisthis1

She’s appeared in Universe, Tokyo, and the Movies before, so I really don’t think this has anything to do with them trying to “smack” Kajishima. If he’s involved with her not being there at all it’s because Kajishima own’s the rights to her name since he has control of the “Ryo-Ohki” continuity, which means I could see him acting like somewhat of a man-child and not allowing them to use her because he owns the rights to her name due to the continuity he has control over.

I could be wrong, but Negishi did talk about an “old man” who’s been obstructing him and his young teams progress on his twitter. Again, I could be wrong but in 14.08 he admits to having nothing to do with this new series which is something he’s never done before. Once again, I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that if anybody he’s the one doing the “smacking” as far as Ryo-Ohki’s not being there is concerned.

Look at it this way as well. What would Ryo-Ohki do in this new series if she were here? Just sit and look on Sasami’s shoulder all the time and look cute? Sure, she’s done that before, but in the end they always use her for something else, mainly space travel. With the way things are going now it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if we see her here soon since now we’ll actually have a use for her gendo1

GaianKnight wrote:

And yeah, they are making Ryoko rather ‘neutered’ if they are not using her phasing abilities, for the sake of plot. Please writers, give us back the full bad arse Ryoko we all know and love/fear/cry/laugh at?

I fail to see how her not phasing through the ground makes her “neutered”. As far as her not being a “bad ass” she told Ukan that if she kept on going that she would “kill her where she stands” to which Ukan responds with “As expected of the space pirate, Ryoko”. Her reputation as a fearsome space pirate precedes her which is clearly proven as she attacks the GP S.W.A.T head on. In my opinion this show has has never once “neutered” any of the old girls. In fact, I believe it’s done it’s best to paint them in very positive way by any means necessary, including using the new girls to do it. This is probably the first time in 10+ years that we’ve actually seen any of the old girls acting like bad asses as opposed to sitting around on their asses and getting bitch slapped by everybody (OVA 3).

tldr: Thank you Ai, for being here!

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ivIdKgRlDjSAD.png" />

Episode 54 is now subtitled and available![/url][/size]

http://i.minus.com/ibmRHO2i7mKq32.gif" />

Episode 54:

Time’s running out, Momo is quickly fading from the picture. Miss Ukan’s starting to get a little power hungry, demanding two members of the Jurian Royal Family be restrained while she runs her little ground operation. Meanwhile, Washu’s plan is to harness the power of a black hole to counteract the Dimension-oscillating bullet’s travel and effects. She must have gotten the idea to have Goriki-kun knock it back using a baseball bat from Wisper’s Smash Bros addiction. kiyonesmile1

Beagle-san
      It’s been a fun show so far, but it unfortunately brought the worst thing of being a Universe offshoot with it: Washu as mad-scientist. 6 episodes left to go: We’ve gotten really good stuff for Ryoko, Aeka, and Sasami…not so much Mihoshi. now It’s Washu’s turn to shine.
      evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Many wheels are turning at this point, so many cogs in motion. gendo1 The GP seem content to sit and wait for the d.o. bullet to do its job.

Tenchi and Ryoko are with Momo and Beni after the pink sword key. Momo starts fading out of time, just like Tenchi did in TMiL1, but Tenchi uses his sword to stabilize her. This is a use of the sword that has never been used to my knowledge. Mainly, the sword has been a weapon, and occasionally as a command totem for Juraian ships, namely Funaho and Ryu-Oh (OVA 1). However, stabilizing a dimensional event with Jurai energy is not without precedent. In TMiL2, Haruna was using Tenchi’s energy to maintain her illusionary world. One does wonder if this incarnation of Tenchi has had those experiences and learned from them. qt1

Another point of fact is that Ryoko can touch the pink sword. A well-established fact from OVA 1 was that she could not touch Tenchiken, nor could Kagato. In Universe, the issue never came up as the only ones to touch the sword were Yosho, Tenchi, Achika, and Ayeka. Also, Ryoko is quite flexible, isn’t she? blush1

Ayeka and Sasami confront Ukan, demanding that the GP cease its aggressions. However, Ukan orders them arrested. I don’t think Jurai will stand for their princesses being manhandled by GP goons. wtfisthis1

Washu, on the other hand, just attacks straight on. fyeah1 With the force of a black hole, Goriki-kun gets to be a badass. iloveit1 I wonder what the animators could be referencing. gendo1

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-12-18-17h22m05s75_zps5098e344.png" />

This episode also clearly confirms that Goriki-kun is capable of mass shifting, which explains why he was so large when first introduced and human-sized in later appearances. Tenchismile

What’s going to happen next? Will Momo survive? Will Ayeka’s demands be met? And, will sempai notice Kumo-kun? mmhmm1 Tune in tomorrow! kiyonesmile1

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Beagle-san wrote:

It’s been a fun show so far, but it unfortunately brought the worst thing of being a Universe offshoot with it: Washu as mad-scientist. 6 episodes left to go: We’ve gotten really good stuff for Ryoko, Aeka, and Sasami…not so much Mihoshi. now It’s Washu’s turn to shine.

I definitely agree with more Washu-oriented action! And if you mean Washu as mad scientist being a bad thing as in “Watch out, Universe! Washu’s on the loose!” well…Ozone-depleting cannons, space/time converting tachyon ray…yeah, can’t argue with that. Hide yo atoms, hide yo laws of physics, cuz Dr. Washu’s in town.

WisperG
      Wow, things really ramped up in 52 and 53. The GP set their plan into motion. Washu made her first non-flashback/cameo appearance. The Science Club gets to kick some butt. Not to mention tons of nods to Universe.

Although I did find it odd that when they knocked out that soldier so they could go after the missing girls no one else seemed to react in any way even though there were plenty of people around, until that other soldier eventually decided to aim his gun at them.

Here’s my 2 cents on the missing Kiyone/Ryo-Ohki debate:

I’m seeing a lot of assumptions on why Kajishima and Hasegawa might be the reasons for Ryo-Ohki and Kiyone’s absence, but that’s not typically how these kinds of rights usually work.

AIC is the rights holder to Tenchi, not any specific person. That should include all characters tied to the franchise as well. They respect and acknowledge Kajishima as the original creator, which I assume is why they pretty much let him do whatever he wants with “his continuity.” But they can also do whatever they want with their own IP, as we know based on all of the non-Kajishima-involved Tenchi ventures they’ve done.

I really doubt Hasegawa has any creative control over how characters she created for a non-original work are used by the IP holder of said work. At the end of the day, Kiyone is still a “Tenchi character.” Perhaps, because she wasn’t involved with ATM, they chose not to use Kiyone as a courtesy of some sort. But I have a hard time believing there was anything preventing them from doing so if they wanted to. I would assume they simply didn’t want any extraneous characters, so even though it would’ve been nice to see Kiyo and Ohki, they didn’t need to be there… so they weren’t. For a series with barely a 5-minute runtime, the cast is already crowded as it is.

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason whyyou will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

*cough*Dual*cough*

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

WisperG wrote:

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

However, as Hasegawa was involved with Universe on some level, it makes sense that Kiyone could appear there (for those following along, this is also the precise reason whyyou will never see Kiyone Makibi, i.e. the original Kiyone, in any series helmed by Kajishima).

*cough*Dual*cough*

mmmm1 Yeah, yeah, okay, quick unofficial b.g. character “cameos” like “Photon” making an appearance in Tokyo, I guess ya’ got me. 😆

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Hi, Beagle-san!
      Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/i62RA9q4ODy9r.png" />

Episode 55 is now subtitled and available![/url][/size]

http://i.minus.com/ieDeVbFbSW7m1.gif" />

Episode 55:

Washu, having apparently seen Alien recently, devised a hilarious new use for her Mini Washu units. Miss Ukan’s more of a Star Wars kinda gal, slicin and dicin her way through the army of oncoming “Hair-Band-in-a-bottle” traps. Washu’s confidence always comes with a slight side dish of hubris, as she overlooks our favorite ditzy double-agent. Mihoshi’s played very slyly this series, managing to spoil Washu’s plans by actually slapping the wrist-irons on her!

Of course, Washu being detained isn’t going to bring an end to the gang’s mission. While everyone’s busy upstairs, Momo and Tenchi are using some serious Jurian power. In the final moments, it seems as though they’ve managed to activate the ship. Who knows what awaits them when they finally arrive on Toshika?

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ib1YdVy6LK5pbm.png" />

Super Cut of episodes 51-55 is available now![/url][/size]

drillmaster
      This was probably my favorite episode yet. Washu and Mihoshi were used PERFECTLY! I have no idea what this final week will bring but it is looking like there really wasn’t a clear cut villain afterall. Both Washu and the GXP are kinda morally grey right now.
      Beagle-san

Nobuyuki wrote:

Hi, Beagle-san!

Hiya back at ya!

I really do wonder why they picked this format. As to how the gals are making out…I was hoping this was a project largely independent of the existing continuities, given that for the most part Aeka, Sasami & Ryoko could’ve easily fit into either the OVA or the Universe continuities. Washu and Miho, however, blew it, being all too much their Universe versions.

Even with their Universe versions, however, I have problems with the notion that Aeka and Sasami would be that easily neutralized by the GP. 5 episodes left to see where it goes.

Nil Admirari
      none

Beagle-san wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

Hi, Beagle-san!

Hiya back at ya!

I really do wonder why they picked this format. As to how the gals are making out…I was hoping this was a project largely independent of the existing continuities, given that for the most part Aeka, Sasami & Ryoko could’ve easily fit into either the OVA or the Universe continuities. Washu and Miho, however, blew it, being all too much their Universe versions.

Even with their Universe versions, however, I have problems with the notion that Aeka and Sasami would be that easily neutralized by the GP. 5 episodes left to see where it goes.

The format seemed to stem from the show starting life as an advertising series for the city of Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture. Though, one could certainly wonder why the recap episodes were included in lieu of just providing all 50 episodes as a straight shot. It’s still considered an “advertising” show, even though it’s really not been about the town proper since the first few weeks in.

That being said, there’s been quite a bit of stuff pulled from both the OVA and Universe, as well as a few nods to Tokyo. While Washu’s mad-scientist persona certainly calls to mind her Universe counterpart, I feel as though the phrase “Celebration of the franchise”, which was used by the director Hiroshi Negishi as well as some of the ad copy, perfectly describes it. In that way, I see it like Tokyo. It assumes the viewer knows things about the girls already from the other shows and could bounce off of such things, but is its own timeline entirely.

Also, Welcome to TenchiForum! Though I see you’ve been registered a bit, I’m glad you’ve decided to post and throw in some thoughts on Ai.

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Today’s episode was full of action and betrayal! wth2

Just when the GP SWAT thinks this is a stand up fight, they find out… it’s a bug hunt. gendo1 I loved the entire scene with the Washu puppets. Talk about nightmare fuel! woooo1 Ukan seems to handle them well, and seems to be a dual-wielder as well. iloveit1

Washu, however, owns the GP. Just like Universe episode 25 and Pretty Sammy OVA episode 2, she infects the GP systems and gains control of the d.o. bullet. Goriki-kun is still in the fight! fyeah1

But then, the betrayal! Mihoshi cuffs Washu! wth2 Has anyone screwed Washu this bad? Mihoshi, why? sadface1

Momo’s apprehension about the pink sword key was interesting, and I am very curious where it will go. Will she revert to her child self, or become aware of her Juraian nature? Today did confirm that the key can indeed be used as a sword, just like Tenchi’s. When they had their blades out, I assume they were trying to contact the tree below. If so, they might have succeeded. WANT1

As a point of fact, Tenchi has stepped into a mentor role, a teacher, showing Momo how to use her key. I wonder if this might persist to the end of the series, or perhaps beyond? tuxedodouche

Also, what was the “sphere” in the tips of Tenchi and Momo’s blades? I don’t think that’s been there before this episode, and the angles of this episode certainly seemed to focus on them.

While Beni punching Ryoko caught several people’s eyes, it is interesting that Beni did that in the first place. Beni has become suddenly protective of Momo. Apparently, the flashbacks and Momo’s charisma might have won over the belligerent student. blush1

Notably, the pillar of light turns blue where Beni punches it. Is that because of Beni somehow, or some other reason? qt1

Now, the cliffhangers really start! (I’m fired, right? blush1 ) What happened to Momo and Tenchi? Where are Ayeka and Sasami? Why did the d.o. bullet split the Earth, or is it really the cause? gendo1 What about Goriki-kun and Kumo-kun?

Ryoko and Beni, you are our last hope. butts1

Beagle-san wrote:

As to how the gals are making out…I was hoping this was a project largely independent of the existing continuities, given that for the most part Aeka, Sasami & Ryoko could’ve easily fit into either the OVA or the Universe continuities. Washu and Miho, however, blew it, being all too much their Universe versions.

Nil Admirari wrote:

That being said, there’s been quite a bit of stuff pulled from both the OVA and Universe, as well as a few nods to Tokyo. While Washu’s mad-scientist persona certainly calls to mind her Universe counterpart, I feel as though the phrase “Celebration of the franchise”, which was used by the director Hiroshi Negishi as well as some of the ad copy, perfectly describes it. In that way, I see it like Tokyo. It assumes the viewer knows things about the girls already from the other shows and could bounce off of such things, but is its own timeline entirely.

Until proven otherwise, I am agreeing with Nil that Ai Tenchi is a separate entity from the OVA, Universe, and Tokyo continuities. As an admitted “celebration of the franchise”, it has borrowed liberally from each of these at some point. While lots of visual cues have been lifted from Universe, the OVA has been used rather extensively as well. Most notably, Washu’s surname is the same as used in OVA 2 Episode 6.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-07-12-22h51m50s174_zps571164af.png" />

As shown in Nil’s screen cap from Ai Tenchi episode 54, Ayeka and Sasami are wearing their costumes from the same OVA episode. More importantly for the plot, Ai Tenchi is the first time since OVA series 1 that the keys have been used to communicate with or control a Juraian ship. While Mihoshi might be playing the airheaded blonde, she has arguably more sneaky than any other incarnation since her OVA series 1 incarnation. Even the promotional and background information on the official Ai Tenchi website, most of the cast have backgrounds very close to their OVA incarnations.

After chatting with Nil tonight, I’d say Goriki-kun himself could be a nod to Ryo-Ohki’s mech form in Tokyo. kiyonesmile1

Notice that this series is set about five years after the Masaki household as we know it was established. Moreover, the feudal era segments were set about 500 years before any incarnation of Yosho set foot in Japan. I do not believe this was coincidence. This allows the lore of Tenchi to be used without tying the series down to specific dates or events, much like Tokyo. We all know who Tenchi and the rest are. Now, let’s have our adventure at Junai Academy.

Again, this series does seem to be an independent continuity. One doesn’t need to know about Tokimi, Clay, Nagi, Ken-Ohki, Sakuya, or Yugi to follow this series. It does draw heavily from each continuity to create its web of characters. I am sorry you have not enjoyed this incarnation of Washu and Mihoshi.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Nil Admirari wrote:

http://i.minus.com/i62RA9q4ODy9r.png" />

A real meeting-of-the-minds in this episode, eh?

Quote:

http://i.minus.com/ieDeVbFbSW7m1.gif" />

You’d think she’d learn. :P

GaianKnight
      Participant
      Well, down to a last week. As such I’ll be refraining from further commenting on this series, until it is finished. I’d please ask any other that do so wish to further, please place comments into spoiler tags without fail.

I.O.W. I wana finish this series with as clean a slate as possible, before commenting further. I wana enjoy the series remainder as such. mmhmm1

Let’s enjoy the end of the ride. Tenchismile

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Point of fact, notice that the GP headquarters seems to be running the LCARS operating system from the TNG era of the Star Trek franchise. Tenchismile The displays are numerous in the background, but here’s a clear screenshot from Episode 51. kiyonesmile1

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-12-20-15h08m14s45_zpsfa910430.png" />

SnowQueen

evilpii wrote:

While Beni punching Ryoko caught several people’s eyes, it is interesting that Beni did that in the first place

Am I the only pissed by this? I mean yeah sure its just a anime but that really rubbed me the wrong way. Not trying to start a argument over this but wtf it was totally unnecessary.

Anonymous

SnowQueen wrote:

evilpii wrote:

While Beni punching Ryoko caught several people’s eyes, it is interesting that Beni did that in the first place

Am I the only pissed by this? I mean yeah sure its just a anime but that really rubbed me the wrong way. Not trying to start a argument over this but wtf it was totally unnecessary.

Not well liked by some maybe, but not totally unnecessary.

The planet is split in half, Momo is phasing out of reality, people are getting snatched by the Galaxy Police, and tensions and emotions are on high. Ryoko shoots her mouth off (like she loves to do) and Beni, being both Momo’s protector and one more to talk with her fist instead of her mouth, finally had it and punched her.

If it were Ryoko in Beni’s shoes, she would have done the same thing (and I’m sure Ryoko knows that). We actually talked about this a little bit in the podcast today, which will be up sometime tonight/early tomorrow.

SnowQueen
      I agree with that to a certain degree but even so it wasn’t just this so to speak it was that throughout the whole show everyone was using Tenchi as a punching bag (and yes Ryoko is guilty of this as well) which was not making me very happy either but hey its anime. If you can’t handle people punching each other for the sake of humor then don’t watch anime. This was just the last straw when seriously I know the situation is intense but to punch her like that and then Momo having the sword that Ryoko was trying to give her two fucking seconds later…. I don’t know. I just hate it when anime almost glorifys abuse and other really terrible things and it always gets under my skin. And good lord don’t get me started on DoD. That movie pisses me off to no end. So I’ve said my piece. Feel free to agree or disagree but I just couldn’t keep it to myself anymore.
      Anonymous

SnowQueen wrote:

This was just the last straw when seriously I know the situation is intense but to punch her like that and then Momo having the sword that Ryoko was trying to give her two fucking seconds later…. I don’t know. I just hate it when anime almost glorifys abuse and other really terrible things and it always gets under my skin. And good lord don’t get me started on DoD. That movie pisses me off to no end. So I’ve said my piece. Feel free to agree or disagree but I just couldn’t keep it to myself anymore.

I agree with you there that they have definitely glorified “abuse” as it were (mainly early on with Tenchi) but this instance isn’t glorifying abuse, and the reason that Momo didn’t want to take the sword, was that she was afraid that she might transform back into her 5 year old self, hence why AFTER Beni punches Momo, Beni says “I’ll protect you no matter WHAT happens”.

I can understand why you (or anyone else) might not like that scene, but ultimately, the show is doing nothing wrong here, there is precedent for it, you can like or dislike what you choose (we all do!) but you really can’t hold that against the merit of the show.

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      So, I was skimming through Tenchi materials today for the Keys of Jurai thread I just started, and I noticed something. I had been curious about the orbs that appeared in Tenchi and Momo’s blades yesterday.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-12-20-18h22m06s173_zpse91c957c.png" />

Notice that the orb is in the same place as it would be in the Light Hawk Sword! wth2

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/lighthawksword_zps83c4407c.png" />

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-12-20-18h29m08s28_zps27e7261a.png" />

While some have made fan speculations at a connection between Tenchiken and the Light Hawk Sword, could this be an official connection? WANT1

SnowQueen

Dagon123 wrote:

I can understand why you (or anyone else) might not like that scene, but ultimately, the show is doing nothing wrong here, there is precedent for it, you can like or dislike what you choose (we all do!) but you really can’t hold that against the merit of the show

I still as a whole appreciate the show because well its new Tenchi material but I wish they did things just a tad better then just having people used as punching bags just for the hell of it more than half the time but that being said there are still parts I really like and even parts I love but this is certainly not one of them and it made my opinion of the show go down quite a bit. Maybe the finale can save itself and I really hope it does because I really don’t want to dislike this series.

I believe now will be a good time to bury the subject (at least on my part) because of made my point already and I don’t want to taint the thread with it so if you want to here more of my thoughts of it into detail then PM me. And thanks for hearing me out a respecting my opinion Dagon. ^^

Anyway I was wondering what those orbs were and I wouldnt have ever made that connection but what actually do they do? Is it just a source of stored energy?

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

SnowQueen wrote:

I believe now will be a good time to bury the subject (at least on my part) because of made my point already and I don’t want to taint the thread with it so if you want to here more of my thoughts of it into detail then PM me. And thanks for hearing me out a respecting my opinion Dagon. ^^

Always, Snow. Thank you for contributing to discussions with your opinions, we appreciate it and we appreciate you.

mmhmm1

(I was the odd one out when they basically made a dildo joke the first time Tenchi-ken was produced in this series; I still don’t completely agree with it, but fortunately the series saved itself in my eyes after I moved past it…and at any rate, I didn’t get put in a corner for feeling that way, so kudos forum folk.)

Anyway, on the note of “orbs” and a possible nod, if not direct connection to, lighthawk wings: very acute, pii, I wouldn’t have even considered it, but it sounds valid and rather plausible.

Anonymous
      https://tenchiforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/tenchicast30-card.png" />

Tenchicast 30: No Need for Ai Tenchi Muyo! PT.7 | Latest Tenchicast

[BBvideo]http://youtu.be/4kkWBcD3KqQ[/BBvideo]

(VERY big thanks to Who for editing the cast)

WisperG
      The references. They just keep coming! soawesome1

Fooly Cooly, Aliens, and the return of Washu’s puppets/mini-robots from Universe as… some equivalent to Facehuggers. Like, seriously. Can they cram any more nods to other series in there? I sure hope so.

DANG. Dat punch. Beni layin’ the smackdown on Ryoko.

Ayeka and Sasami try to lay down some Royal authori-tay, but don’t really get anywhere…

Washu ends up being captured by Mihoshi, whom she apparently forgot about. Now that’s irony if I’ve ever seen it. Although she didn’t try very hard to get away…

Now that I think about it, this is only the 2nd time we’ve seen Mihoshi in her new GP uniform. We sure didn’t get to see much of it.

So… Tenchi and Momo are touching swords and he says…

tenchiahhhhhh

“That’s right, keep it up just like that.”

Kiyofacepalm1

And I was wondering what’s up with those orb things on each sword, but I see Pii has already made his analysis and a thread for it.

Nil Admirari wrote:

She must have gotten the idea to have Goriki-kun knock it back using a baseball bat from Wisper’s Smash Bros addiction. kiyonesmile1

badass1

Although I personally interpreted it as a Fooly Cooly reference, as mentioned above. I think people here know what scene I’m referring to 😉

evilpii wrote:

Notice that this series is set about five years after the Masaki household as we know it was established.

I’m curious. How did you come to this conclusion?

evilpii
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

evilpii wrote:

Notice that this series is set about five years after the Masaki household as we know it was established.

I’m curious. How did you come to this conclusion?

In Ai Tenchi episode 1, Tenchi’s identification card states that he is aged 22 years.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-10-06-17h52m40s196_zpsc2c9636a.png" />

Traditionally in every continuity to date, Tenchi first encounters the girls when he is 16-17 years old, which would place this series at 5 years after an initial encounter. Moreover, he has been acting more mature than the “country boy” persona he usually has in other series, especially now as he is guiding Momo. He seems to have more experience, particularly with Juraian abilities as illustrated this week.

Admittedly, Washu did forge his records, so it is possible that he is still the 17-year-old country boy. However, his characterization and skills for Ai Tenchi seem to contradict such an assumption.

GregTheLion

evilpii wrote:

In Ai Tenchi episode 1, Tenchi’s identification card states that he is aged 22 years.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2014-10-06-17h52m40s196_zpsc2c9636a.png" />

He looks quite young for being 22, no wonder the girls go for him iloveit1

The-Kaiser
      Participant
      Anyone else notice the GXP computer displays are running Star Trek TNG-Voy era style of display known as the LCARS ?

Library Computer Access/Retrieval System :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LCARS

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/LCARS

http://lcarscom.net/databank.htm fan site for them

http://www.lcars.org.uk/Adges%20Welcome.htm another good one :)

http://www.lcarsmania.com/ Japanese fan site :)

evilpii
      Participant
      none

The-Kaiser wrote:

Anyone else notice the GXP computer displays are running Star Trek TNG-Voy era style of display known as the LCARS ?

Actually, yes, we have. kiyonesmile1

evilpii
      Participant
      none

evilpii wrote:

The-Kaiser wrote:

Actually, yes, we have. kiyonesmile1

Actually, the GP seem to have been using Star Fleet’s OS for a while. While I was checking out a reference Snow gave me in another thread, I found this still in episode 11 of Tenchi in Tokyo.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p661/evilpii/Forum/vlcsnap-2015-01-04-14h12m54s122_zps0a3b20a1.png" />

This episode aired in 1997, 17 years before Ai Tenchi.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      spoiler for ep 54

this is late

in ep 54, Sasami and Ayeka go confront Ukan in Royal Juraian clothes as in Here Comes Jurai. But it is not just the ceremonial clothes they were wearing, they were also wearing the exact clothes they did in Here Comes Jurai. Sasami was wearing her pink carrot apron and Ayeka in her blue yellow pink and purple clothes.

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.