Discussion for episodes 6-10
Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Replies
      julia
      Momo no
      Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/iIaEwNyHetHGx.png" />

Episode 6 is now subtitled and available!

http://i.minus.com/iNA52xggLdMEF.gif" />

Thoughts, Episode 6:

I’ve been waiting for a fight between Beni and Hachiko since the beginning and I’m glad it only took me about 23 minutes to get that. It was a short fight sequence, but very well animated. Zero time was wasted, stuffing jokes right next to serious banter and peril abound. Plot itself didn’t go anywhere but that’s fine. Great way to start off the week, with a bang!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      So, the dog, the monkey and the pheasant make their move…. Tenchismile

Boo-yah! Some action! & what a way to start things off with the two bodyguards dukin it out (still wondering if there’s more to Beni’s character than that; I think there is, but we’ll see).

The premise has pretty much been established, factions identified, lines drawn: now for some plot, backstory and gags to fill it in. I actually wholeheartedly enjoyed this episode.*

*Well, okay, I would have liked Mihoshi featured just a lil bit more, but grrrr they’re teasing me!

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Episode 6 had a nice spurt of action and adventure, in both the exchange between Beni and Hachiko and in the cave-in. Bravo, gentlemen, also on catching the pun in Momo’s introductory line. gendo1 I did enjoy the overdone drama between Momo and Hachiko. Again, one wonders about Momo, and Hachiko for that matter. qt1 Notably, the crab symbol is emblazoned on the wall, so I bet Washu’s watching all this and laughing her ass off. kiyonesmile1

I have, however, noticed that there is a big emphasis put on Tenchi’s boxers. He was stripped down in episodes 2 and 4, and now it happens that somewhere in episode 2, the Council got a tracker on his boxers. Do I really want to know how? Kiyofacepalm1 I assume this is some shtick for high school anime, but it is not my taste.

In the end, the cave was buried, so is the object of Yuki’s quest still there? Will we be revisiting this pit in the future?

Notice that all of the students have now been introduced and given some time in the limelight over the course of episodes 1, 2, 4, and 6. Washu got a good bit of screentime in episode 3, and episode 5 was a recap. Perhaps another main character will get the focus in the next episode. Tune in tomorrow! Tenchismile

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      I uh…I’m still feeling that this is some weird crossover with some other anime I haven’t seen, featuring Tenchi.

Which I suppose is cool if this leads up to something. The best part of the series so far was the brief snapshot of the Masaki household and the conversation with Washu. Not that this is super bad or anything, it’s just kind of “eh”. I think the reason all the wacky stuff with the OG girls worked so well was because they’re aliens, these are just a bunch of normal high school girls who are way too out there for any sort’ve believability.

Nil Admirari
      none

Marty Kirra wrote:

I uh…I’m still feeling that this is some weird crossover with some other anime I haven’t seen, featuring Tenchi.

Which I suppose is cool if this leads up to something. The best part of the series so far was the brief snapshot of the Masaki household and the conversation with Washu. Not that this is super bad or anything, it’s just kind of “eh”. I think the reason all the wacky stuff with the OG girls worked so well was because they’re aliens, these are just a bunch of normal high school girls who are way too out there for any sort’ve believability.

Well, seeing that Hachiko and Beni are both very talented with their weapons and the two school clubs have massive torture chambers of their own, I’d say they’re anything but normal high school girls. Hana having a record for fastest ability to extract ‘information’ from her subjects, too. The most telling however was the brief sequence at the start of Episode 3 where we see Momo and possibly Beni in a spaceship. There’s more to these girls than meets the eye, it just hasn’t been made as apparent what that is yet. We’re still under 25 minutes in to the entire story so I’m sure there’ll be plenty more on this all before the final credits roll.

Anonymous
      Man this episode was fantastic, classic Tenchi in every sense of the word.
      julia
      I was happy with episode 7! I wasn’t CRAZY about it because I’m still kind of hesitant about this series. I am looking forward to the original girls roles and how often we’ll see them/their relationships with the new girls.

Big part of the reason I was hesitant about Ai was because of the girl collecting. The original girls are vital to Tenchi Muyo. They really make the show to me, and I don’t want to see them pushed a bit to the side to make away for a pretty big cast of new girls.

Someone mentioned a “Tenchi vibe” earlier, and… I agree to an extent. To me, Tenchi series as a whole (well, what I’ve seen) is separated as such;

OVA1&2/Universe/All 3 movies

and

OVA3/Tokyo/GXP

and to me, each group has their own vibe… and Ai so far has been giving me the vibe of the latter. There are small aspects of the second group I do like, but as a whole I don’t like them. I feel kind of like a shit Tenchi fan because I guess I am kind of close-minded about new groups/girls being introduced. It still has group #2 vibe, don’t know if that will change with coming episodes, because I do plan to watch it more.

My first post for episode 6, “Momo no”, was because of the blushing near the end. My little alarm came on and thought “oh no”… I guess it was inevitable at least one of the girls would fall for him or develop a small crush… but it doesn’t make me any less frustrated. I’m hoping Momo doesn’t overshadow the original girls. She seems to be the ~most important~ one of the new crew so far. on a side note I also don’t like the panty shots, I didn’t like the group of high school girls stripping Tenchi and trying to go in his underwear.

It was great we finally got to see Ryoko, Ayeka and Sasami. It seemed very natural, not like a novelty of seeing an original Tenchi character (oh LOOK AT THIS SPECIAL GUEST IT’S PRINCESS AYEKA! etc). I wish we had seen the house full of girls, having Mihoshi, Washu and Ryo Ohki there too. I guess I’m wishing for a series that Ai isn’t, though. I’m kind of conflicted on Ryoko’s new outfit… I’ll have to see her in action more! :) Ya know if Washu didn’t have that garter or the lace-up on the top, it wouldn’t look so lingerie-y…. I’m also liking the animation style a lot more than I thought I would.

Just hoping our ladies get the spotlight and attention they deserve in the future!

highgear56

julia wrote:

I was happy with episode 7! I wasn’t CRAZY about it because I’m still kind of hesitant about this series. I am looking forward to the original girls roles and how often we’ll see them/their relationships with the new girls.

Big part of the reason I was hesitant about Ai was because of the girl collecting. The original girls are vital to Tenchi Muyo. They really make the show to me, and I don’t want to see them pushed a bit to the side to make away for a pretty big cast of new girls.

Someone mentioned a “Tenchi vibe” earlier, and… I agree to an extent. To me, Tenchi series as a whole (well, what I’ve seen) is separated as such;

OVA1&2/Universe/All 3 movies

and

OVA3/Tokyo/GXP

and to me, each group has their own vibe… and Ai so far has been giving me the vibe of the latter. There are small aspects of the second group I do like, but as a whole I don’t like them. I feel kind of like a shit Tenchi fan because I guess I am kind of close-minded about new groups/girls being introduced. It still has group #2 vibe, don’t know if that will change with coming episodes, because I do plan to watch it more.

My first post for episode 6, “Momo no”, was because of the blushing near the end. My little alarm came on and thought “oh no”… I guess it was inevitable at least one of the girls would fall for him or develop a small crush… but it doesn’t make me any less frustrated. I’m hoping Momo doesn’t overshadow the original girls. She seems to be the ~most important~ one of the new crew so far. on a side note I also don’t like the panty shots, I didn’t like the group of high school girls stripping Tenchi and trying to go in his underwear.

It was great we finally got to see Ryoko, Ayeka and Sasami. It seemed very natural, not like a novelty of seeing an original Tenchi character (oh LOOK AT THIS SPECIAL GUEST IT’S PRINCESS AYEKA! etc). I wish we had seen the house full of girls, having Mihoshi, Washu and Ryo Ohki there too. I guess I’m wishing for a series that Ai isn’t, though. I’m kind of conflicted on Ryoko’s new outfit… I’ll have to see her in action more! :) Ya know if Washu didn’t have that garter or the lace-up on the top, it wouldn’t look so lingerie-y…. I’m also liking the animation style a lot more than I thought I would.

Just hoping our ladies get the spotlight and attention they deserve in the future!

Good points, I agree completely.

edit: I’m thinking of splicing some random OVA sound clips (dubbed) to episode 7 just to visualize and see how it’s like if the original VAs would voice this new series.

susano
      If episodes 1-4 and 6 were the first episode of a typical series, it will seem that AI was just another harem series. Yet, the episodes have to focus on why Tenchi is a student teacher at an all girls’ high school. I like episode 7. It introduces Sasami, Ayeka, and Ryoko. Ryoko and Ayeka are a lot like her Ryo-Ohki and Universe counterparts. While Sasami smaller than Ayeka, she is her early teens. More likely, Sasami will be in Grade 3 of Jr. High School.

Kiyofacepalm1 tuxedodouche

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ii8x9URCbiPX7.png" />

Episode 7 is now subtitled and available!

http://i.minus.com/iItiy9SXImKix.gif" />

Episode 7:

Ahh, there we are. A new apartment, a few years later and still up to the same old same old. Ayeka and Ryoko are still at each others’ throats, Sasami trying to be the peacekeeper. I loved all of the written instructions on the walls about how long the TV can be on, how experimenting is prohibited (like that’d stop Washu, at any rate), reminders of how long to use the bathroom. Not only is Tenchi out of his element at this school, the girls now have to contain themselves now more than ever. We saw their inability to keep their explosive hands to themselves in Universe, though there was a temporary ceasefire in TMiL2. This is spun off of the OVA continuity though, so those rules may not always apply here.

This felt like a classic Tenchi scene. Bathhouse, Ryoko being ultra-touchy, Ayeka shrieking (fantastic work by Ayeka’s new Seiyuu, who nailed the subtleties of her character) and Tenchi as fed up with it as ever. Welcome home, Tenchi.

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      Ah there we go! Finally, some classic goodness. That’s all I’ve got!
      Anonymous

julia wrote:

I feel kind of like a shit Tenchi fan because I guess I am kind of close-minded about new groups/girls being introduced. It still has group #2 vibe, don’t know if that will change with coming episodes, because I do plan to watch it more.

You or anyone else who feel the way you are, are not in any way, shape, or form shit fans! This does, however, highlight something that I think needs to be addressed.

The Tenchi brand name has been drug through the mud the last 10 years or so, and it has turned people very, VERY, cynical of anything that has the Tenchi name on it, and that is a perfectly normal response, but I think a lot of people need to understand a few things here.

This is not an OVA, this is not a traditional TV series, in fact it is a format that Tenchi has NEVER done before, in fact the 5 minute format demands changes to how plot, characters, and production are introduced, going into the episode expecting it to play out in the same way as an OVA or Traditional TV length episode is fundamentally wrong.

Many people, especially in the west who say “Well this doesn’t FEEL like my Tenchi” are also the same people who are watching it not in their preferred language and even without english subs, and making comments about how the episode wasn’t good or “not good enough”,

How can you honestly pass judgement on an episode when you don’t even know what’s being said?

And hell, we’re not even 30 minutes into the show yet, it’s one thing if you sat down and watched the whole thing and then made a critical analysis, but how can you write off an entire show as garbage when you’ve only seen a 10th of it?

I’m not defending the shows faults, I’m merely highlighting the completely unrealistic nature that people have gone into the show with.

The cast and crew have obviously shown that they know what they are doing, give it time.

julia
      I’m definitely going to still give it a chance, things change and I could end up loving it. You can’t really cast such a judgement with only seeing the beginning. I kinda brushed up on that, saying I’m going to watch more means I was still giving it a chance since we havent even really seen all of our girls importance to the story (I gotta see that! :) )

I still stand by the “vibe” thing, though. It’s just how the first episodes are making me feel. I am totally aware that can change though and that’s the reason I am going to keep watching it and not drop it for now :) It’s just reminding me of the Tenchi anime I don’t like, and it is very literally giving me the same feelings I had when watching group #2. We’re introduced to good sized cast of new girls, that Tenchi is around and they’re in the spotlight together(and so much Momo). They’re going to play an important role in this story, and oh Momo stop blushing LOL. but I do understand, that we need to be introduced to them and actually get to know them a bit so the story makes sense and theyre important, and since they’re so short it makes sense as to why we’re focusing on them. but so far, it’s just starting out reminding me of the stuff I don’t like.

I also don’t like the excessive fanservice. I don’t think I’m going to get used to that. You can make a damn good Tenchi story without dedicating so much time to panty flashes. (and some of those outfits…ugh)

I did like how in episode 7, it just felt like home. Tenchi is interacting with the girls the way he normally does and I just want to see more of that. Honestly, part of me wonders why they didn’t just came up with a new adventure centering on the main cast, but we’ll see how this series goes. It may end up being fantastic and I might be frustrated with some parts for nothing :)

I don’t blame people for being cynical about the series, though… Of course you can’t judge any particular one without seeing it, but if there are more people who categorize Tenchi series like I do, there hasn’t been anything to get really excited about since Forever. I was excited to watch every single one on list 2 (I was in middle school when I watched em… and I think maybe 9th grade for OVA 3?) and I felt let down, they just weren’t my taste. As much as I adore list 1 (I consider Tenchi my favorite series next to Utena :) ) it’s hard to get myself excited,and it feels like we’re starting off on a wobbly foot :/

and while I am giving it a chance to see if it will get better, I still feel kinda shitty that so many of you seem so excited about it and I’m just here, not AS much, lol.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I haven’t been this happy for the last two years. I haven’t been this happy for something Tenchi-related for over four; I’d almost started to forget how it felt.

soawesome1

Everything from here on out is gravy: my girls (ahem, I mean, Tenchi’s girls) are back, Ryoko and Ayeka are bickering, Sasami’s there to greet Tenchi after a long workday…with the original seiyuu returning and sounding and behaving as if it were still the 1990’s, even these few minutes with them has made all these years of waiting patiently worth it. I sincerely mean it. I even “forgot” about the new designs for a while, and I saw the characters purely for who they are and always have been: it’s like linear time quickly faded away…no past, present, or future…only Tenchi as it was meant to be.

Thanks to everyone who’s been on the ride with me *sniffle the buildup to arriving “here” has been so much fun that like everything from here on out on this romp of Tenchi-esque feelgood wrapped in a new-anime packaging we know as Ai Tenchi Muyo!, everything in the future with my fellow fans and friends is just icing on this not-always-sweet cake I call my life. I’ve already been blessed with more than I deserve. Cheers to ALL of you! (mad-scientists, princesses, GP operatives and pirates alike)

author’s note: I was stone-cold sober when I typed this spew of emotions up, i swear 😉

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Episode 7 is exactly what every long-running Tenchi fan has been waiting for. Tenchismile We’ve already had an episode dedicated to Washu and a glimpse of Mihoshi, but this episode brings us all home to Ayeka, Sasami, and Ryoko. However, this is not quite the home we remember. From what it seems, Tenchi has moved into a large apartment in Takahashi while he finishes his student-teaching. Naturally, Ryoko and Ayeka follow right along, with Sasami in tow. Considering the signs on the wall about experiments, no doubt Washu calls this home as well. qt1

As one might imagine, Tenchi and Ryoko fall right into place. Sasami seems and sounds older, but this is natural, considering she has likely been on Earth a while now. Moreover, Ayeka’s new voice actress performed smashingly. fyeah1 Considering how beaten up Tenchi was when he returned, I am already expecting one or both of Ryoko and Ayeka to end up on campus by the end of the week. gendo1

Now, on the other had, there are some notable absences. Ryo-Ohki has not been mentioned yet in the entire series or its promotional material. dawohki1 Also, no reference to Nobuyuki or Katsuhito back at home has been dropped either. While it is unlikely that either of the two men will play a heavy role, one would expect that Ryo-Ohki might, considering Momo and Beni being pictured in a spaceship in episode 3. We will have to see how that plays itself out. woooo1

While Washu is not present this episode, her presence is certainly felt in a few of the background signs (thanks and props to the translation team! kiyonesmile1 ). She also arranged for the package of miscellaneous riot gear to be delivered. No doubt as a professor, Washu knows how dangerous that first semester of teaching can be. butts1 There were days early on in my own career, about 23-24, when I thought a helmet or a shield might be good to protect me from a room of 18-year-old freshmen. wth2 In many ways, I think I will vicariously reliving my early teaching career through Tenchi. Ganbatte, Tenchi-kun! kiyonesmile1

What new hijinks await Tenchi on his second day at the office? tenchiahhhhhh

julia
      Ok so I think episode 8 is my favorite so far iloveit1 !!!
      SnowQueen
      Oh my goddess my wishful thinking was actually right!? soawesome1
      Anonymous

julia wrote:

Ok so I think episode 8 is my favorite so far iloveit1 !!!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/7bcuH_KrLBc[/BBvideo]

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2j7rgJIN31rr0hazo1_500.gif" />

Nil Admirari
      none
      http://i.minus.com/ibXuOhc88mSn9.png" />

Episode 8 is now subtitled and ready!

http://i.minus.com/ioHtSo0NHwQP7.gif" />

Episode 8:

So in this alternate timeline, Beni was working for Momo instead. Beni also refers to Momo as “Princess“, so it makes you wonder which kingdom she hails from. It obviously isn’t Jurai. Hana, Hachiko and Touri have new names in this timeline, referring to pieces of Okayama history as highlighted in the subs (at least the two we hear, Hana’s name is never spoken). I laughed out loud when they cut from the sinister shot of the demon to Ryoko chowing down and giving a confused look to the camera. Some more quick but excellently animated battle shots, and overall major callbacks to the first episode of Tenchi Universe. Ryoko doesn’t even know who Tenchi is, so it makes you wonder what’s going on in this timeline exactly. Why is everyone dressed in traditional garb but Mihoshi arrives as a Galaxy Police officer on official business? I mean, that’s how it went in Tenchi Universe, but it makes you wonder how things are going to go from here.

highgear56
      I miss her old hair.
      SnowQueen
      I like how they made Ryoko look more curvy and like she actually has some weight on her vs how anime girls usually look like stick figures. lol
      Nil Admirari
      none
      I also wanted to make a comment about some of the negative comments I’ve seen about the show. Everyone is, without question, entitled to feel however they may about anything. But something strikes me as odd about how many have perceived this show up until the past two episodes – they’re judging every episode as though it were a full length episode and barely gave them anything to chew on. If anything, Negishi has crammed more info into the standard length of an episode than the series previous to this.

Tenchi Muyo! OVA 1 Episode 1: (28:50)

• We meet Tenchi Masaki, learning that he lives with his father and grandfather who operates a Shinto shrine.

• There’s an underground cave with a demon that Tenchi has been wanting to sneak into.
    • Tenchi breaks into the cave, meeting a demon and finding Sword Tenchi.
    • The demon escapes in the collapse, later meeting him on the roof of the school. Enter Ryoko.
    • The two of them fight, resulting in the destruction of part of the school.
    • Tenchi flees, finding Ryoko lying in his bed.
    • Tenchi Universe Episode 1: (23:46)

• We’re introduced to Tenchi, while Ryoko gives a voiceover about the Carnival and how she wishes it could stay like that.

• We get our first look at Ryo-ohki, which Tenchi hallucinates instead of the normal cat there.
    • Tenchi lets us know that scene has started in medias res.
    • Suddenly, we’re taken to a space fight between Ryoko and another ship, resulting in Ryoko crashing to earth and Tenchi meeting her.
    • Ryoko falls in love with Tenchi at first sight, and helps him run from the well-armed pursuer.

We get introduced to Mihoshi, an officer of the Galaxy Police who has been sent to apprehend the space pirate.

• Tenchi brings Ryoko home to his father and grandfather, who are beside themselves at the lovely young lady Tenchi has with him.
    • Mihoshi arrives at the house again later, causing another fight to break out which ends with Katsuhito destroying the mecha-suit.
    • After the situation defuses, Ryoko and Mihoshi now formally introduced, they now take residence with the 3 men.
    • Ai Tenchi Muyo! Episodes 1-7: (25:02~)

• A dazzled Tenchi arrives on the scene, physically assaulted by several groups of people before he can even figure out what’s going on.

• Tenchi arrives at Junai Academy, we learn that he is due to be a teacher at the school and that he will serve under another teacher for two weeks as training.
    • Each of the girls Tenchi ran into earlier happens to be in this class, and he formally introduces himself as Tenchi Masaki.
    • Tenchi is taken on a tour of the campus by Momo, the Student Council President. They’re followed by Hana, Hachiko and Touri, the Vice President, Bodyguard and Treasurer respectively.
    • Tenchi recognizes the peach on Momo’s panties, which leads to confrontation with Hachiko.
    • We catch a glimpse of Washu spying on Tenchi via crab insignia on the walls.
    • The girls toss Tenchi into the Student Council HQ and begin to restrain him with a muzzle and other toys.
    • Touri comments that his school record not existing was very suspicious to them, and Hana decided they had to investigate why their new teacher was so mysterious.
    • We’re cut to a sequence where young Momo is aboard a spaceship of indeterminate origin with Beni, commenting on the beauty of the planet Earth.
    • We get a shot of the Masaki compound, a hybrid of styles from series’ past, and Washu’s lab. Washu has a job for Tenchi to do involving someone who exists in every single dimension. She sends him off to another dimension.
    • Tenchi arrives at this new dimension and is pounced on by young Momo, both of whom are dressed in more traditional-era garb. A Peach is featured prominently on Momo’s dress.
    • Momo tells Tenchi she’s looking for someone with eyes like “this”, and the two formally introduce themselves to each other.
    • Meanwhile, back at the timeline we first joined in on, Tenchi-sensei runs from the Council room almost buck-ass naked, and takes cover in a building adjacent to the main school building which is covered in warnings not to enter.
    • Tenchi falls into a trap door and comes across a massive digsite being helmed by Yuki under the Science Club’s name.
    • Yuki reveals that what she’s looking for will allow her to have some influence over the Student Council and perhaps join it/take over it herself. Rui protests, but is shot down.
    • Tenchi hears a familiar voice, Mihoshi, and almost gives away his hiding position. Beni tracks him down anyways and drags him to the Science Club’s underground HQ.
    • The Science Club is equally as confused as the Student Council as to why Tenchi is there, and decides to launch their own au-natural investigation.
    • Momo gives us a recap of the previous events.
    • Arriving just before Beni can Run The Jewels on Tenchi, the Student Council arrives and a fight breaks out between Beni and Hachiko as the digsite collapses around them.

Momo, Touri and Hana help Tenchi escape, with the Student Council making it out just as the roof of the dig finally caves in.

• An exhausted, beaten, naked Tenchi rests his weary bones at a new house. Sasami and Ayeka rush to his side and try to get him feeling more at ease after an insane first day at work.
    • We learn that the group of them have just moved in to this new apartment, with Washu shipping a crate of riot police gear and a pre-emptive tombstone in the event that Tenchi doesn’t survive his task.
    • Tenchi goes to wind-down in the shower and prepare for his second day as a teacher when Ryoko invades and a fight breaks out between Ryoko and Ayeka.
    • So, already in Ai Tenchi Muyo!’s first 25 minutes, we have double the events and a ton of information crammed into densely packed 3 minute long bite-sized snacks. 6 vs 8 vs 22 in terms of bullet points, even more when you consider the information in each bullet point. I’m not even counting the effort they spent in Ai to give us callbacks and references to the other shows.

What’s frustrating me about some of the negative reception is that every episode is treated as though it is a dog-year, yet people are ready to drop it because “Oh where is so-and-so? Dropped!” It took Tenchi OVA 1 14 minutes before we saw a glance of Ryoko’s human form. It took Universe 4 minutes. While Ai Tenchi took 22 minutes to show us Ryoko, it also contained way more information packed in before she showed up and introduced a large cast of characters it took those shows 6-8 episodes each to get to. Granted, Ai Tenchi has the benefit of everyone knowing who the main girls are.

The highschool thing threw me for a loop, I don’t like the panty shots and overt fanservice and the recap episodes are somewhat excessive, but so far I’ve really enjoyed this series. The new girls could end up being interesting characters by the end, the plot is entangled in several webs we’re being exposed to at the same time, and when the girls are on screen it is as if they haven’t missed a beat since the early 00s. And honestly, with the way some people are still convinced this show is a monster-of-the-week, episodic series with no actual plot, I think some people need to have those recap episodes. Negishi is running this show at a hyperspeed pace and I think it shouldn’t be treated so negatively from episode to episode. Which I think is truly messing with some peoples’ ability to pick up on and understand all of what is going on.

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Switching from the home life of Tenchi in episode 7 back to the spacetime craziness of episode 3, episode 8 returns us to space, where we are confirmed that the second person on the vessel is indeed Beni, or at least some incarnation of her. gendo1

Interestingly, Beni is quite concerned with Momo’s well-being, and even calls her “princess”. Similarly, Momo does not want to leave Beni. One could speculate that Beni here is Momo’s guard or caretaker, given “high school Beni” has the role of bodyguard for the science club. While Momo is dressed in what looks like a kimono, their ship does not seem to be the usual Juraian make. I doubt Momo is from the Jurai royal family, which means she might represent a different faction in space. That would be quite refreshing. Tenchismile However, as a princess, that might imply that Ayeka may know of her in some fashion. qt1

Beni’s dialogue references a “him” and “his trials”, as well as a “Sou-sama”. Whether or not “Sou-sama” and “him” are the same is not made immediately clear, but one does wonder if these incarnations of Momo and Beni are running from or to someone. Then, one asks why. butts1

Washu’s brief dialogue mentions that “she died”, but since the genius likely does not know either girl’s name, which one she means is left open. Considering Momo is shown with Tenchi in episode 3 and 8 during this feudal era sequence, one could surmise that the “spaceship Beni” may have died due to the rift.

On Earth, Tenchi and Momo encounter alternate versions of the student council members: Inukai (Hachiko), Tomomi (Tori), and ??? (Hana). Considering the double versions of Momo and Beni, one wonders if this trio are the original incarnations of these girls, or parallel doubles created from the rift.

Point of fact, Momo is wearing a similar costume as she did on the spaceship, but since it is a kimono either way, one might not be certain that this Momo and “spaceship Momo” are the same. However, I would bet that they are. blush1

Tenchi and Momo are accompanied by the trio, who are planning to confront a demon. Their description of the demon is a throwback to Ryoko’s introduction in OVA series 1 episode 1 as well as Washu’s in Universe episode 4. Apparently, said demon rules over everything. Upon arrival, we encounter a version of Ryoko, dressed as she was in OVA series 1 episode 3 or many episodes of Universe. Notably, this Ryoko proclaims herself to be a space pirate, aware of bounty hunters, and with no knowledge of Masaki Tenchi. Moreover, Tenchi recognizes her immediately. Likely, since alternate universes seem to be the shtick, this Ryoko is an alternate universe double of the one Tenchi knows. After a brief exchange with Inukai, Mihoshi arrives driving the mecha suit from Universe episode 1 (and episode 5) and wearing her combat uniform from OVA series 1 episode 6, OVA series 2 episode 5, and Universe episode 1. She announces herself as a Galaxy Police officer (and as 1st class detective, if I’m hearing the Japanese right).

The entire sequence with Tenchi running across Ryoko and Mihoshi appearing in the mecha suit is completely a direct reference to Universe episode 1, where both are introduced for the first time in that continuity. That alone makes me fall in love with this episode of Ai Tenchi, and the series as a whole. The entire episode feels like Tenchi to me, much like episodes 3 and 7. mmhmm1

However, what has happened? Considering Washu is playing with multiple universes, the versions of Ryoko and Mihoshi seen here could certainly be homages to, or incarnations of, the Universe Ryoko and Mihoshi. Since Momo and Beni were dragged into the rift and presumably deposited in this “feudal universe”, perhaps Universe Ryoko and Mihoshi were as well prior to their crash landing on Earth in Universe episode 1. That would explain their equipment, costumes, and lack of knowledge of Tenchi himself. This is, of course, speculation. We’ll have to see how it plays out over the next few episodes. gendo1

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    First off, since I don’t toot my own horn all that often….

“In another time, another place, Beni sits at the controls of a spaceship mere seconds from being swallowed whole by an interdimensional rift.”

Called it (actually, rtil’s got honors I believe)

Second, as a series “for the fans” I would say the multiple universe/timelines/dimensions/whatever it ends up being is a subtle acknowledgement that Tenchi over the years has had many wonderful incarnations, and these larger-than-life, truly timeless characters really can’t be held by one universe alone. So, as if we haven’t said it enough by now, “celebration of the franchise” blah blah blah. We’ve all waited long enough, and we’ve all bickered enough. It’s 2014: it’s time for everyone to just enjoy Tenchi again.

& Third, OMG!!! colors2 It’s 2014 and I’m loving a new Tenchi series. I don’t wanna wake up if this is a dream. Nobody pinch me! rageblow1

julia
    Her old outfit looks SO much better <3 It was so nice to see her in it iloveit1

While I still stand by a lot of my previous comments at the moment, I will say this episode made me feel much better about the direction of the series. (as soon as I heard oni I knew, ah I KNOW WHO’S COMING UP iloveit1 it made me happy) but yeah, hopefully this trend will continue and the important of all the original girls is front and center!! The pessimist in me though isn’t letting me get too excited ;3; Like how it’s too early to judge it as being “bad”, it’s too early for me to get excited … but like I said, I HOPE THIS CONTINUES Tenchismile

SnowQueen
    though I do dig the new outfit I LOVED seeing her in her old outfit too! It made my feels scream with joy. Lol Now hopefully I can find some nice Ai screencaps of the girls. They are quite hard to find. Anyone know a good website were there would be good Ai screencaps? blush1
    Nil Admirari
    none

SnowQueen wrote:

though I do dig the new outfit I LOVED seeing her in her old outfit too! It made my feels scream with joy. Lol Now hopefully I can find some nice Ai screencaps of the girls. They are quite hard to find. Anyone know a good website were there would be good Ai screencaps? blush1

I don’t have a spot set up but I could probably work out a gallery page for Ai Tenchi. Are there any shots in particular you’re after?

highgear56
    I think it would take longer for me to read some of your guys’ recaps than watching the episode itself haha

Also the comment about Ryoko being curvier and a little more meaty, couldn’t agree more, she looks great. Not that she never did.

SnowQueen
    Yes to no thigh gaps. ;)

anyway I wouldn’t want to trouble you with that Nil! blush1 You guys are busy enough! Just wanted to know if there was already a site that I didn’t know about that had them ^^

WisperG
    I’m not sure what I can say about episodes 7 & 8 that hasn’t already been said. They’re the closest Ai has gotten to feeling like classic Tenchi so far. It was great finally seeing all the old girls again. I especially loved episode 8 because of all the references and nods to the Tenchi series of old, also Mihoshi. These two are, by a landslide, my favorite episodes thus far soawesome1

Fingers crossed for more like them in the future!

SnowQueen
    After the amazing episodes we got the last few days…going back to the school with the new girls again for some reason now feels more…meh. I know I know…not saying I hate it or that it’s bad but I want more of what we got the last couple days. Going back and forth and teasing me with the original girls and then switching back to the new girls again I don’t know…I still like a couple of the new girls of course but now the don’t seem as great for some reason…and now I’m just rambling. lol blush1
    Nil Admirari
    none
    http://i.minus.com/ibc229JpjjoAtJ.png" />

Episode 9 is subtitled and available!

http://i.minus.com/i2iVSgjUfC4ht.gif" />

Episode 9:

Back to school again, Tenchi’s confronted about Sword Tenchi. He barely escapes with it under Ukan’s prying eyes, interesting that he’d need to bring it along. Whatever it is that both clubs are looking for, it seems like it could be pretty damn dangerous. The two clubs have a brief clash, and we get to see how influential the Science Club truly is. Though, if this is so, how come they haven’t already overtaken the Student Council? I highly doubt Yuki is holding back out of the goodness of her rotten little heart.

Interesting to note is that in the preview images seen for this week’s run, there is at least one that has yet to occur. Perhaps tomorrow won’t be a recap after all?

wwwwhhhhoooo
    none
    – Episode 9 –

Spoilers ahead, ye be warned!

Now that we’ve been given a dose of the good stuff, i.e. the main girls, returning to the school knowing there’s over forty-something more episodes to work with was fine by me.

What was not fine by me was how far they went with using Tenchi-ken for a lewd sexual joke. It was completely unnecessary, and had I not already been on board with Ai by this point for a number of reasons it would’ve been a deal breaker for me. I didn’t like it when Kajishima basically did the same thing in a hentai setting (caveat: explicitly, in his case), but at least in that instance he kept that level of vulgarity separate from an actual Tenchi series. 😡

It’s not even the “vulgarity” that bugs me, and even then that’s a matter of personal preference (in fact, I quite enjoyed the various “naughty” bits of the OVA, especially during “The Night Before The Carnival”). But in this case, in a “celebration of the franchise” for long-time fans, the fact that they used what by this point is an icon of the series at large for a quick dildo joke is tantamount to sacrilege.

Hey, I tells it like I sees it folks, because as per the course we allow others to do the same.

On another subject, one of our “Gif Master’s” gifs stirred a thought in me:

http://i.minus.com/i2iVSgjUfC4ht.gif" />

Just as I remembered and is to be expected, Tenchi’s a farm boy, so even though he doesn’t boast about it, he’s fairly strong in a workman’s sense. I don’t know what kinda superpower/superstrength heat these new girls are bringin to the table, but it can’t be anything worse than Tenchi’s accustomed to, which means….

Tenchi might not have been all that unwilling of a participant during his “interrogation” encounters: Tenchi likes the bondage scene. 😳 That’s right, I said it! New series means crazy theories, after all. 😆

chucklocker
    Participant
    none

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

What was not fine by me was how far they went with using Tenchi-ken for a lewd sexual joke.

Well I’ll be damned… this is the first time I’ve ever actually disagreed with you regarding something Tenchi related, Who. And it’s even fanservice related at that! 😆

In all seriousness though, I actually thought the gag with the Tenchi-ken was really funny, and refreshingly done. Let’s face it, this isn’t the first time the connection has been made, not by a long shot. Probably since its very first appearance fans have snickered at the unintentional (or maybe not so unintentional…) phallic imagery associated with the Tenchi-ken. I thought the way that Ukan teased Tenchi by implying that it was something he was into was a refreshing and novel iteration of the gag. It seemed, to me at least, that Negishi was giving a wink and a nod to a fan in-joke that’s as old as the fandom itself, and he did so with more subtlety and craft than certain other Tenchi creators have in the past… Reasonable minds can certainly differ though, and I certainly wont hold it against anyone for finding something like this to be against their taste.

Nil Admirari
    none
    I kind of agree with Chuck on this one, I laughed at the insinuation that Ukan was making. Maybe it was just Tenchi’s reaction to what she was saying and how she was smushing Sword Tenchi against his cheek.

http://i.minus.com/inXwO3LPhYoVY.png" />

Episode 10 is now subtitled and available!

Episode 10:

Another recap episode. http://i.minus.com/ijLzuoI8FpZhr.jpg" /> Sad to see we’ll be losing an episode’s worth of time a week for it, but at least Momo throws in some stuff unrelated to simply recapping what’s happened. She sure loves her peaches! Will be interesting to see how the Festival goes and if we’ll see the old girls attending to spy on Tenchi. Could we see the first clash between the old girls and new girls in this timeline soon?

Nil Admirari
    none
    http://i.minus.com/ibktq8dCHFiPMZ.png" />

Also, the Super Cut for week 2 is now available!

GregTheLion
    Well with this week gone, I can safely say, Ryoko is looking fine! iloveit1
    wwwwhhhhoooo
    none

GregTheLion wrote:

Well with this week gone, I can safely say, Ryoko is looking fine! iloveit1

Awww yeah! (p.s. hi Greg!)

Lookin like, as guessed, end of the week equals recap episode. Now, given their short length, one might logically think “Why? What’s the need?” Well, part of what actually allowed this series to be produced in the first place was the stipulation that it promote tourism and local culture, so the fact that the plot recaps recount the week’s plot is actually a secondary purpose to divulging trivia. (They did a good job of intertwining them, didn’t they?)

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Now that I have some time away from work, and being unconscious, I can write my thoughts on episodes 9 and 10. blush1 Episode 9 brings Tenchi back to, presumably, his second day at work while episode 10 is Momo’s weekly recap. As such, I will focus on episode 9 primarily. Tenchismile

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

What was not fine by me was how far they went with using Tenchi-ken for a lewd sexual joke. It was completely unnecessary, and had I not already been on board with Ai by this point for a number of reasons it would’ve been a deal breaker for me. I didn’t like it when Kajishima basically did the same thing in a hentai setting (caveat: explicitly, in his case), but at least in that instance he kept that level of vulgarity separate from an actual Tenchi series. 😡

It’s not even the “vulgarity” that bugs me, and even then that’s a matter of personal preference (in fact, I quite enjoyed the various “naughty” bits of the OVA, especially during “The Night Before The Carnival”). But in this case, in a “celebration of the franchise” for long-time fans, the fact that they used what by this point is an icon of the series at large for a quick dildo joke is tantamount to sacrilege.

chucklocker wrote:

In all seriousness though, I actually thought the gag with the Tenchi-ken was really funny, and refreshingly done. Let’s face it, this isn’t the first time the connection has been made, not by a long shot. Probably since its very first appearance fans have snickered at the unintentional (or maybe not so unintentional…) phallic imagery associated with the Tenchi-ken. I thought the way that Ukan teased Tenchi by implying that it was something he was into was a refreshing and novel iteration of the gag. It seemed, to me at least, that Negishi was giving a wink and a nod to a fan in-joke that’s as old as the fandom itself, and he did so with more subtlety and craft than certain other Tenchi creators have in the past… Reasonable minds can certainly differ though, and I certainly wont hold it against anyone for finding something like this to be against their taste.

Admittedly, the insinuation with Tenchiken did surprise me, but it was more subtly stated than I expect it would be with another writer. The entire exchange between Tenchi and Ukan is 30 seconds long, about the length of the panty shot from episode 1. Most of the scene was dialogue, primarily Ukan teasing Tenchi. Admittedly, I think this scene serves a couple purposes. First, Ukan is a sultry woman, even from her first moments in the show. She teases Tenchi and seems to put him in compromising positions. Whether or not these are serious overtures or not remains to be seen, but the scene serves to show more of her character, tasteful or not. Second, Chuck is right that the Tenchiken was a phallic metaphor in the OVA: a sword with two gems that a certain woman (Ryoko) could not touch. While the point has not been overtly stated in the anime until now, it has been subtext since the beginning.

Moreover, the point of the scene is likely to bring attention to the fact that Tenchiken is in this anime, the first time since Katsuhito used it to end Haruna in TMiL2 (1999). Also, notice that it is the Universe continuity design for the key. That means a bud-like pommel with no gems. Evidently, his first day’s experience showed Tenchi that he should be armed. The “talisman” excuse was inventive, but naturally backfired. However, in that backfiring, notice that Ukan can hold the key. The OVA continuity made it clear that only certain people could wield or even hold the key. Notably, Ryoko always was shocked or knocked back when she came into contact with it. While the Universe continuity only had Jurai royal family hold the key (Katsuhito in Universe episode 23 and TMiL2, Tenchi in Universe episodes 23-26 and TMiL1, Achika in TMiL1, Ayeka at the end of TMiL1), one might expect a similar defensive mechanism. So, I will ask the obvious question. Why can Ukan hold Tenchiken?

The little exchange between Beni and Hachiko felt good, showing more action and conflict between the Council and Club (yes, I pun, dammit). badass1 But, Tenchi also showed that he is a boss by catching Beni’s fist in mid-swing. That’s “Tenchi-sensei” to you, dear student. fyeah1 I second Wwwwhhhhoooo’s implication that Tenchi is holding back, probably for the sake of simplicity and camouflage in his mission, but not so much that he is into BSDM. That’s Ayeka’s domain. Right, princess? tuxedodouche I was amused at Yuki and Rui grovelling at Tenchi’s feet. Keep in mind that Tenchi is a teacher now. He does have authority, however little a student teacher has. blush1 Naturally, Ukan has more authority, being permanent faculty, as demonstrated by her halting Beni and Hachiko’s renewed aggressions. Still, I enjoyed seeing that Tenchi is not merely complacent after his first day. He can take action when necessary, such as stopping Beni and Hachiko the first time and bringing them to the Council for judgment.

Now, the student politics are interesting. Apparently, the Club could take over the school if they wanted. I second Nil’s question as to why they have not already done so. Moreover, what is this treasure Rui nearly divulged to the Council? The earlier theory that it was Tenchiken is now shot to hell, which reopens the discussion on what it could be. My bet is still on it being Momo and Beni’s ship, but we will have to see. gendo1

Thanks again to the translation crew! You have given us another week of new Tenchi to enjoy and piece together. Keep up the good work! kiyonesmile1

Anonymous
    https://tenchiforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/tenchicast25-card.png" />

Tenchicast 25: No Need for Ai Tenchi Muyo! PT.2 (Episodes 6-10) | Latest Tenchicast

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/2yEqxGo4l-E[/BBvideo]

Kerbs
    Participant
    Aaaand the exact moment when Ryoko fans lose it and make embarrassing happy noises:

http://i.imgur.com/5sQLqi2.png" />

Yukinojo
    Participant
    none
    All fans went into nostalgia shock and needed medical attention when their hearts stopped and minds went blank.
    wwwwhhhhoooo
    none

Kerbs wrote:

Aaaand the exact moment when Ryoko fans lose it and make embarrassing happy noises:

http://i.imgur.com/5sQLqi2.png" />

Guilty! mmhmm1 I’ll never forget it: when it just started out, introducing new characters, people were looking under rocks and shaking their rafters looking for reasons to hate Ai…then the moment Ryoko shows up *SNAP* everyone pulls a one-eighty and rejoices. Much anxiousness happily withered away on that day.

Kerbs
    Participant
    Haha, I had pretty much the same reaction with GXP. We really aren’t that difficult to please j ^j
  • Viewing 46 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.