Do You Ever Get Burnt-Out On Anime!?

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Do You Ever Get Burnt-Out On Anime!?

• This topic is empty.

But yeah do you ever just have times where you just get tired of anime &/or the fanbase in general. I can honestly say I do, honestly more so the modern community over anything else. *Thus the reason it does my heart good to find GOOD communities like you guys here at TenchiForums*

But yeah as I get older I really can’t get hardcore into anime like I used to *outside a small number of favorite series that is, like Case Closed, Tenchi, etc*

SO how about you guys, you ever have days where you just look at the anime world and question why you even still care, or just find yourself face-palming repeatedly!?

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Replies
      WisperG
      Not anime in general, no. I’ve been burned out on specific titles, but if that happens I’ll just drop it and move on to something else. I might go back to it later, but usually not.
      Watching too much for too long of anything can burn a person out.I think when that comes the solution if to take a break and then come back to it later when you’re refreshed.

One of the main reasons I prefer watching on DVD now is that I can control how much I watch and when I watch what I watch of anime.Right now I only watch an episode per day,which means only half hour before I go to bed at night.Unless of course I’m watching an OVA that’s 45 minutes in length or a 1 or 2 hour

movie.

And yes,you can also get burn out from fandom as well.Lurking around a lot of forums you can sometimes

get the feeling that anime fandom consist mainly of hormonely 14 and 15 year old boys who have a limited

vocab.

Thorn

mitsuki lover wrote:

Watching too much for too long of anything can burn a person out.I think when that comes the solution if to take a break and then come back to it later when you’re refreshed.

One of the main reasons I prefer watching on DVD now is that I can control how much I watch and when I watch what I watch of anime.Right now I only watch an episode per day,which means only half hour before I go to bed at night.Unless of course I’m watching an OVA that’s 45 minutes in length or a 1 or 2 hour

movie.

And yes,you can also get burn out from fandom as well.Lurking around a lot of forums you can sometimes

get the feeling that anime fandom consist mainly of hormonely 14 and 15 year old boys who have a limited

vocab.

My thoughts exactly. Anything, be it American, foreign, film, tv, animated, or live can get old if you immerse yourself in it for too long. I never get tired of any one genre, just a few titles here and there that I have a tendency to over watch. When that happens I just move on to another anime series or tv show. I don’t imagine I’ll ever tire of anime completely.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Glad you brouth this up. As mentioned before, the potential for burn-out exists for anything you spend a great deal of time in; but I think the more crucial factor is not rather a certain quantity, but rather when something feels like an obligation, or it feels like work that’s where the tendency for burnout originates (imo).

I myself don’t really feel this with anime, but honestly it’s because I pace myself and don’t watch a whole lot in succession partially because I’m attempting to prevent myself from getting jaded to it. I have several friends that have ‘schedules’ encompassing almost 200 series! They have them listed in order they’re goint to watch them, and set out to watch a certain amount of anime every day based on adhering to the schedule (and if you recommend an anime to them, they have to somehow fit it into their pre-planned ‘curriculum’); if that’s the way you like to do it, go right ahead, but watching anime is not my job, so I’m not going to treat it as such. I know how much burnout sucks, which is why I’m attempting to prevent it happening between me and anime! 😆

But hey the good news is burnout isn’t permanent–it will fade if you distance yourself from [it] for a while.

You guys all make pretty good points, pacing yourself is indeed a smart thing to do.

Anywho yeah overall I would say its the modern anime fanbase I get burnt out on the most easily to be honest. I hate to say it, but in many ways the internet has hurt communities just as much if not more then it has helped them.

As for anime itself, well speaking personally, I can watch older titles (late 70’s – early 00’s) and never really get burnt out, but a decent chunk of anime made the past oh.. 7 or so years, all the fan-service & otaku-centric shows that have been pumped out, well most of them just rub me the wrong way, an also cause me to burn-out and rage rather quickly. Not that there all bad mind you, theres a small handful of ecchi & more niche anime I enjoy, but I’d say most of it, well it has the same adverse reaction as Reality-TV…it makes my braincells cry! :(

But ahh yeah, Overall I guess it all depends on how much you indulge, where you go to chat about it, etc,etc, & so on.

Oh also, NEVER let anyone trick you into watching this 👿 … *I won the bet, but at what cost..AT WHAT COST!!! 😥 *

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/anime/2/12946l.jpg" />

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I can watch older titles (late 70’s – early 00’s) and never really get burnt out

Ah, a man after my own heart! I LOVE older anime! heck, my second favorite anime of all time after Tenchi is Space Battleship Yamato, the ultimate in classic anime! As for getting burnt out, it’s more on a show by show basis. I just don’t have the stamina to power marathon my way through a show like Sailor Moon that has 200 episodes. For me it comes down to pacing, just as the others have said, and spreading out what I want to watch.

Also, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY concur with your criticisms of modern anime. I really don’t enjoy the heavy use of fanservice (except in shows like High School of the Dead, because sex and zombies/horror go together like peas and carrots 😆 ), and I swear the designs and personalities of most modern characters are all pretty much limited to a small collection of stereotypes.

As for the anime fanbase, I really have no exposure outside of Tenchifandom. I have kept myself out of it all for the very reasons you mentioned above.

Thorn
      ^ I used to spend hours and HOURS watching Speed Racer and Astro Boy!
      @chuck & Thorn: RETROSITS UNITE!!! But yeah, Honestly i’m pretty slow at actually buying anime so I still haven’t gotten around to adding Astro Boy or Speed Racer *although those are 60’s anime I believe, but yeah their on my to buy list* But I do find myself marathoning some of my favs a couple of times a year, on top of my recent Tenchi Universe marathon I usually re-watch Big-O & Trigun at least once a year, and I have Case Closed Marathons during the summer & Christmas. * Theres just something about a kid solving murders….It entertains me.*

Oh and Utena is always fun to pop in, so glad Nozomi/Rightstuff put it back out on the market!

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

Glad you brouth this up. As mentioned before, the potential for burn-out exists for anything you spend a great deal of time in; but I think the more crucial factor is not rather a certain quantity, but rather when something feels like an obligation, or it feels like work that’s where the tendency for burnout originates (imo).

I myself don’t really feel this with anime, but honestly it’s because I pace myself and don’t watch a whole lot in succession partially because I’m attempting to prevent myself from getting jaded to it. I have several friends that have ‘schedules’ encompassing almost 200 series! They have them listed in order they’re goint to watch them, and set out to watch a certain amount of anime every day based on adhering to the schedule (and if you recommend an anime to them, they have to somehow fit it into their pre-planned ‘curriculum’); if that’s the way you like to do it, go right ahead, but watching anime is not my job, so I’m not going to treat it as such. I know how much burnout sucks, which is why I’m attempting to prevent it happening between me and anime! 😆

But hey the good news is burnout isn’t permanent–it will fade if you distance yourself from [it] for a while.

My idea of schedules must be different from your friends.I simply made a chart and put down

what shows I will watch on what day,but not at the same time.For example under Thursday right now

I have Utena and below it Rosario & Vampire and below it Moonphase.This means when I am done with

what I have with Utena and put it away I will go next to Rosario & Vampire and watch it on Thursday

nights,etc.I also keep a list of the anime I’ve already watched.

Now as far as more recent anime,well there are too much of the kind that people have described there are also gems still out there but that don’t get too much noticed.The thing is to find the gems that are out there and not worry about the other stuff that will be forgotten 5 years from now.

Thorn
      I just kinda make my way through whatever’s on Netflix and borrow from my friend’s walk-in closet full of anime. When I’m not watching anything new, I just enjoy the old classics.
      Yeah,the classics are always good.I love ’80s series like Dirty Pair,KOR and Bubblegum Crisis. 🙂

I came across a blog today called Let’s Anime that’s geared toward older anime.

Thorn
      Those, and the old Toonami favorites! :D As far as older anime goes, I’d have to say that Speed Racer is still my favorite…along with Fist of the North Star.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Ahem, *cough cough, points to Star Blazers/Yamato thread, cough cough* yeah old anime is the best! :Cheeks:

Anyway, there are certain shows that I really don’t get burnt out on. Shows like Tenchi and Yamato that maintain a high level of quality throughout and that I have deep feeling for, I just keep finding myself coming back to.

Thorn
      ^ True. I feel that way about Tenchi, Outlaw Star, Black Lagoon and a few of the old Toonami series that make me feel nostalgic. I’ve been watching Tenchi alot for the past week and it’s still awesome!
      It’s not that there aren’t any good new anime out there either,it’s just that a lot of the newer ones seem to be repetitious of their themes.

Remember the Classics are the ones that will still be watched decades from now.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      ^True, true. & while I’m sure Soundmonkey is referring more to anime overall and the practice of watching series after series as a hobby (or extending to certain levels, a lifestyle) there are of course those special series that I will always be able to go back to, because not only are they well-crafted, but I’ve so many personal connections and memories associated with them, it’s comforting, nostalgic, and fun to experience them over and over again. Plus, there’s just a timelessness to the good ones that makes them transcend the period in which they were created. Like you said ML, they’ll stand the test of time.
      Anonymous

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

You guys all make pretty good points, pacing yourself is indeed a smart thing to do.

Anywho yeah overall I would say its the modern anime fanbase I get burnt out on the most easily to be honest. I hate to say it, but in many ways the internet has hurt communities just as much if not more then it has helped them.

As for anime itself, well speaking personally, I can watch older titles (late 70’s – early 00’s) and never really get burnt out, but a decent chunk of anime made the past oh.. 7 or so years, all the fan-service & otaku-centric shows that have been pumped out, well most of them just rub me the wrong way, an also cause me to burn-out and rage rather quickly. Not that there all bad mind you, theres a small handful of ecchi & more niche anime I enjoy, but I’d say most of it, well it has the same adverse reaction as Reality-TV…it makes my braincells cry! :(

But ahh yeah, Overall I guess it all depends on how much you indulge, where you go to chat about it, etc,etc, & so on.

The points I bolded partly highlight my overall problems. Anime Fandom while still niche, I think is starkly different then to what it was before. Most contemporary anime fans don’t get into anime the way most of us do here or did in the mid 90’s and into early 2000, it’s less about the show itself and more about how much you’ve seen and how up to date you are, and this is because the infinite content is in front of you a click away, so you have no reason to re-watch something again unless it blew you away. It’s a quantity over quality problem, sure you’ve seen 3 or 4 hundred anime, but have you really “seen” them? Obviously not every show is going be an all time fave, and I’m not about to debate who’s a fan and who’s not, that’s all subjective to a point, but do you go to a baseball game and just go to watch baseball? Generally you have a favorite team right? “No I do it just to watch baseball” You really can’t enjoy it as much if you have no attachment to a team right? I think you can see where I’m going with this.

As far as being burnt-out, I can’t say I get burnt out anymore because I rarely have time to finish full series, let alone marathon multiple ones, lol (Though I do keep up with a few new series) but I find that it’s much easier for me to get into older shows because I much prefer cels to new shows (gives them a much less sterile feel) but also because they are less Otaku-Centric, if anything I’m burned out on seeing Generic Harem Romantic Comedy in a School with Supernatural/Sci-fi/Fantasy variable #483919293 and those aside I haven’t seen anything I really had any interest in watching, I’m more of a Sci-fi/Fantasy/ Swords and Sorcery type guy, and whens the last time we had a show like any of those without having to pander? Guin Saga? The New Yamato stuff? Its extremely few and far between

I think most older otaku got into anime because of blocks like Toonami,or in my case Anime Unleashed.
      Thorn
      Most of the self-proclaimed “otakus” that I know personally are quite irratating. They have this attitude that they’re somehow superior to other anime fans and “Oh, you’re not really a fan because you don’t eat/sleep/drink anime, manga, and doujinshi.”
      Yeah,that can be irritating.
      I never got burnt-out per se. I just gradually stopped caring until I was introduced to a new anime or two by one of my friends.
      It’s interesting but I actually enjoy anime more now that I watch it primarily on DVD and occassionally on the internet than I did when I was watching it a lot of the time on tv.I think that this has to do with

being able to watch what I really want to when I want to and not being at the mercy of the network

schedules.

El Gonzo
      I’ve been an anime fan since 1962, when the theatrical release of “Magic Boy” came to a local drive-in. The next year “Astro Boy” hit TV, and I kept up carefully with just about every anime title I could lay my hands on until about 4 years ago. I finally got bored. I’m not so sure that “burnt-out” is the proper phrase, but maybe.

I guess it’s part of being really, really old for the genre, and the feeling that I can’t sit for hours any more when there are so many things left I want to do with my life. When you’ve seen as much as I have over the decades much of it seems to run together, and similarities seem much larger than differences. Most of the stuff that’s come out the last few years is little more than tweaks and recombination of old material, though a few gems shine through occasionally. In the last four years, there have been only about a dozen shows with any spark of originality (at least that interested me). I also find that as I age, I have less tolerance for pandering, useless gore and violence, and silliness past a certain point. I don’t want my time wasted with shallow characterization and pointless plotting.

I became immensely interested in manga about the time that I was getting bored with anime. Plot lines that take hours to watch animated can be read through in mere minutes. I now spend hours poring over recent releases and rarely get bored. I began to keep a list of titles read or reading (or started and dropped). I started with a list of 184, and I’m currently up to nearly 1900. Even so, I feel that Sturgeon’s Law applies to manga, and only a small percentage of what’s out there interests me; I pick and choose.

I’m hoping that some spark of real originality will return to anime. As it is, I watch a few oldies here and there, but spend most of my free time on the computer. Not to mention that I dream of a new, epic Miyazaki film or new animated additions to the Tenchiverse, but I’m not going to hold my breath. 😉

1962,El Gonzo you are now the official oldest member of the forum! 😉

I was only 3 back then.

Now as far as it goes there are a few of the more recent titles that I would like to see.

The one that stands out is a show about a Japanese girl who goes to France in the 1880s or 1890s.

El Gonzo
      Well, I was 11 then. 😉 And I’m usually the senior citizen of any anime or manga group.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

El Gonzo wrote:

Not to mention that I dream of a new, epic Miyazaki film or new animated additions to the Tenchiverse, but I’m not going to hold my breath. 😉

That’s a dream worth having! Miyazaki, in my opinion, has always utilized and pushed the medium of anime to its fullest. Even film historians (when referencing Japanese film history) that are reluctant to make reference to [contemporary] anime for obvious reasons (you think the hordes of Naruto fanatics annoy us?) always have to make reference to Miyazaki. His work has gone beyond the limited scope of anime/anime enthusiasts and has expanded and spilled over into broader circles and genres. I always enjoy when that happens in any genre (literary or film) and I hope it happens more in the future with anime.

El Gonzo
      Yeah. You can see a lot of Miyazaki’s influence at Pixar and Ilion Animation, the Spanish studio that did Planet 51. It’s a shame that Miyazaki’s age seems to be keeping him from doing the depth of films that he used to make. He’s not just a great animation director, he’s a great director, period.

Any word anywhere about Kajishima’s next project?

Nobuyuki
      Participant

El Gonzo wrote:

Any word anywhere about Kajishima’s next project?

The most recent word was there is no word.

El Gonzo
      Thanks. I need to get back to more of the Tenchi sites again. I’ve been away long enough to lose track of what’s out there.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I recently have had trouble gathering the stamina to start watching animes that I haven’t seen before. It’s probably because I’ve been watching so many back to back for the last few months (Outlaw Star, Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion), but at least some of it is due to just how good some of what I’ve seen is! I mean especially after coming off of Trigun and Evangelion, I have had a real hard time getting up the courage to try more anime mostly because I have this feeling of “How can it possibly be better than what I’ve just seen?”. I don’t know if any of you guys have had the same problem ever, but I certainly can relate to El Gonzo in that I have a hard time seeing how the “modern” anime can top the greatness that has already been achieved.
      Thorn
      ^ I can certainly relate to that. It takes me quite a while to make myself start the next series on my Netflix queue because, even though it may sound interesting, whatever series I happen to be on at the time has big shoes to fill. I do have to say, though, that almost every anime I’ve watched in the past few months has been amazing! I would ALMOST put Gun X Sword on par with Cowboy Bebop if it didn’t seem like it was having a genre identity crisis every other episode.
      One thing to do is not to watch so much at a single sitting or at a time.I think that marathoning,while it isn’t bad can lead to a lot of burn out if you’re not careful.I think burn out is a simple way of being told you need to take a break from so much watching and concentrate on something else for awhile.Slowly get back into it when you can.

An analogy for me would be Star Trek or Dr.Who.While I enjoy both equally there are times I just can’t

watch because I’m tired.I just started to re-watch Star Trek:TOS on Metv.And as far as DW goes,well

I haven’t seen anything for a longish time,just a few clips on Youtube from ClassicWho and none of

NuWho.

Getting back into watching anything wheter live or animated takes time.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      My process to control or avoid burnout

From years of watching tv and marathoning anime,cartoons and movies

*Control Environment

– find a comfy place or make the place that you watch anime comfortable

– allow enough light to make easy on eyes, but not too much that it creates glare or disturbs screen

– adjust volume so that it is loud enough, but does not cause noise complaints

*Control Psyche

– be in the “feel anime watching mood”

– have beverage of choice chosen, preferably one that relaxes or energizes you at anytime

– have snack or food prepared for consumption during watching

– stretch once in awhile to avoid stiffening muscles

*Control Viewing

-usual length of anime episode time (not counting OVA’s, movies, specials, which have different lengths) is 20 to 30, cutting off intros and outros and sometimes previews, its closer to 20 minuites

-in an hour it’s possible to watch 2 episodes in one hour (3 eps if watched immediately one after another)

– Time watching (without specials, OVA’s, or Movies)

A season of 12 eps is approx. 6 hrs

A season of 13 eps is approx. 6 1/2 hrs

A series of 24 eps is approx. 12 hrs

A series of 26 eps is approx. 13 hrs

– Split up the episodes you watch a day if not all in one sitting

-watch:

during a free period of time

when you have a day that you have off or the day before so you have a rest

This is how I broke down my process and is hopefully useful to anyone thinking of anime marathon

I can’t marathon without getting bored,which is why I seldom do it.

OTOH: I’ve begun to re-watch selected episodes of anime on Mondays either subbed or dubbed,

to keep things interesting.

As a matter of fact I’ve decided from now on when I first view a series it will be raw, the second

time around subbed and the third time I watch dubbed(unless it’s sub only).That way I ought to

be able to not just keep burn out at bay but also be able to compare and contrast the original

Japanese with the English language version.

Also it goes with my philosophy that it don’t matter if you watch sub or dub as long as you enjoy what you watch.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.