Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Thread

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    There wasn’t an exact thread for this, just side stuff. Here, talk about all things about the series Dual!. Characters, plot, analysis, your take, anything.

Links to other threads:

Dual CDs

Dual Video Links

Dual Female Seiryuus

Zinv Capabilities

Idea for New Dual OVA

Time in Dual

Dual Collection

Mitsuki Fan Thread

Dual Crossovers

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Replies
      It’s one of those anime where the dub is just as good as the original.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      This is just my opinion but, Mitsuki was terrible to Kazuki. He was seeing things from a parallel universe which could have got him thrown in a sanatorium. He writes about it like a fiction and it gets him ridiculed and ousted by his peers, while still getting freaked out by mecha battles.

She said she wanted to help, brought him to her house, got him strapped to a chair by her father and was sent to a parallel universe (by the easy to sit on lever). She follows him and gets in a month before, joins a military mech unit and gets cozy with a man that’s not her father and tells Kazuki to go with it when he gets there. So then he fights in the battles he had only seen himself and is told when his side wins, he’ll go home, even though in the series they always defended and didn’t look like they had the advantage to win outright.

My thing is, why isn’t Kazuki even a little angry or enraged at anything? He asked for help and got sent to a parallel world away from his family, and had to fight in the military just to get a deal home. And the girl that supposed to help him just says go with it and acts like she owns the place and him.

This is my opinion, though if you look at the series objectively this is how it is.

jgzinv
      It’s late so I won’t wall o text us…

I’d look at it from Mitsuki’s angle too. She’s a girl who was abandoned by her lazy and manipulative mother. She had to take care of her less than stable father who’s emotionally a mess. She’s idolized at school and lusted after by the majority of the male population. She’s self conscientious about her image, but stalwart in dealing with other’s feelings (love letters). She does the shopping for the house, the laundry, cleaning, things that her parents would not.

This paints a picture of someone who’s been abused, and latching on to self image in her original world. She gets attention from her father by participating in his “work” with him. She gets by day to day. But she’s still thinking, not street smart per say but not caught up in frivolous teenager things. She’s had to become more adult due to her circumstances.

So drop a young man, whom she doesn’t have time for relationships with anyway, who’s totally dependent on his parents, seems pretty flakey – into her daily routine where she’s got yet another person to take care of. She understandably is easily set off.

Now switch gears and think about the fact she arrived a month ahead of Kazuki in the parallel world. She had no one that recognized her, her own “father” doubted her existence and treated her as an alien as she was taken into military custody. The world is enveloped in a war. She has no way to get home, and even her house doesn’t have her own belongings in it. She’s truly alone in every sense, doesn’t even know if Kazuki will be showing up. She went from bad to worse by getting dumped into the parallel world.

..and yet, after the month, we pick back up where Kazuki enters the picture (to us almost instantly), Mitsuki seems well acquainted with the world. She fits in as a pilot. For her the new world is a clean slate, with a man acting as her father’s role who’s relatively successful and more reliable. She’s got a job of sorts. She can vent her frustrations on the battlefield and is part of a team of pilots. She has purpose. The relationships at school have been reset, even if she still is idolized. Overall, for Mitsuki in World B, things are actually better.

So in drops Kazuki, a reminder of her not-to-distant past. He can’t take care of himself. He wants to go home.

He’s a burden. An eyesore. Then he’s suddenly moved from the base dorms to Mitsuki’s “home” along with an unrelatable weird alien glowing eyeball thing-girl-android – and she’s expected to just deal, change her routine, and take care of more freeloaders. Imagine any time relatives or guests have stayed at your house, things get upturned pretty quickly. Even Mitsuki’s diary in World B getting tossed out and replaced with new blank book is a illustration of how everything she knew had to be started over, a blank slate, when Kazuki entered her life.

Mitsuki simply doesn’t deal well with changes in her life and routine. She’s got a certain way of doing everything because that’s how she’s gotten approval and acceptance in the past. You can see she’s thrown for a loop when Kazuki and D become self sufficient in doing their chores, and when more experienced females such as Yayoi, Reika, and MitsukiR all come into the house. She loses her place in the dynamic and roles she’s used to. She didn’t have a mother role model, she had to become that role on her own. Her authority, her world, her relationships, everything is upturned due to one boy having weird visions…

But… she doesn’t stay this way.

A lot of examples of her personality changing are found in Ep.11 Real. Once upon a time it was said in the fandom that Dual was nearly as much Mitsuki’s story as it was Kazuki’s. It depends entirely on how much you dig into it.

So I wouldn’t go quite so far as to say she’s just an abusive tsundere character. There’s a bit more to her backstory than that.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

JGZinv wrote:

It depends entirely on how much you dig into it.

Actually there is a point there. I mean if you look at each character carefully, they are deep and their world setting can enrich that fact. Still in the anime I felt like they skimmed over some parts quickly, like D’s backstory or the real point of the war, because when I first watched it, it felt like two scientists fighting over whose better, but with mechs.

jgzinv
      Well D’s backstory was sorta explored or more revealed via the Dual doujins, like most all things Kajishima….

The who’s better with mechs thing.. yeah I can see that. The UN was involved, and Rara had really already won and taken over most of the world before Dr. S got involved with the EDF though. They were almost always on the back foot. Reika nearly provided all the funding for the EDF, which is why it was a private army.

How much of it was scheming of Ayuko and Kumu is another question. If they had conquered the world, what would have come of it? There was a short part where Dr. Rara claimed that he took the artifact to keep others from fighting over it… and yet we know how that turned out.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

The who’s better with mechs thing.. yeah I can see that. The UN was involved, and Rara had really already won and taken over most of the world before Dr. S got involved with the EDF though. They were almost always on the back foot. Reika nearly provided all the funding for the EDF, which is why it was a private army.How much of it was scheming of Ayuko and Kumu is another question. If they had conquered the world, what would have come of it? There was a short part where Dr. Rara claimed that he took the artifact to keep others from fighting over it… and yet we know how that turned out.

I can’t really see conquering the world when they’re fighting for just sections of cities at a time. And the EDF I think always defended while RaRa attack which never made sense to me. I mean, they have mechs too, why not go on counter strike and reclaim territory and for some reason they couldn’t, it felt like a one sided war. The protecting of scientific discoveries from being fought over is admirable, but no one will know that unless you say it and not use them to conquer cities and blow parts of them up.

Don’t forget that the war was fought under the U.N.’s jurisdiction which is why you have Akane

at the EDF with Commander Sanada.

It wasn’t so much about world conquest as it was about who got the right to the alien tech.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

It wasn’t so much about world conquest as it was about who got the right to the alien tech.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

The protecting of scientific discoveries from being fought over is admirable, but no one will know that unless you say it and not use them to conquer cities and blow parts of them up.

The whole right of alien tech was really the motive of Sanada and Rara. Ayuko, however was basically for the use of technology for her personal gain. She didn’t care for the politics or bigger picture of what was going on, just getting the finer things. Akane’s backing was I guess to win for the peace from Rara’s conquest. Akane is all about rules and probably felt all the tech should have been under the UN’s control. Easy to forget the women behind the leaders.

jgzinv

Ukinojo92 wrote:

I can’t really see conquering the world when they’re fighting for just sections of cities at a time. And the EDF I think always defended while RaRa attack which never made sense to me. I mean, they have mechs too, why not go on counter strike and reclaim territory and for some reason they couldn’t, it felt like a one sided war. The protecting of scientific discoveries from being fought over is admirable, but no one will know that unless you say it and not use them to conquer cities and blow parts of them up.

They are battling for chunks of territory at a time, not just cities. Check Sanada’s map in the ep where he’s trying to decide on what to do when the kids come in late at night.

You’re forgetting why the EDF was always on the back foot, sheer power and tech level. The EDF had only 3 earth made knock offs of the robot tech, developed from an incomplete copy of the core unit data Sanada stole from one of the crash sites. Compared to Rara who had all original mecha in various sizes and designs, with a huge number of them.

In comes Kazuki who’s boosting his power a couple hundred percent in Hartzenen, and even more offensive in Zinv, and suddenly they shifted the balance of power and started winning regularly. Before that every battle was tooth and nail.

That’s why when Kazuki went back to his world, the EDF was totally overthrown and forced to escape in the warship.

It didn’t help that the UN gave up on the EDF and embraced Rara, so they lost any official sponsorship to continue the war.

You can see the EDF made progress in the section where Kazuki and D are defeating robots one after the other. Ken comes on later when Kazuki is with the Rara’s and says they’ve been pushed back to where they were 3 months prior.

In addition, the EDF was made of of scholars and untrained personnel. Only one guy, Officer Shibata, had actual combat experience. Yayoi took over as a robot instructor after she couldn’t be a pilot anymore. Though the Rara Army wasn’t much better, it’s cited that they got most of their grunts from want-ads. EDF pilots besides Mitsuki, Yayoi, and D weren’t much to speak of – the one that filled in for Kazuki while he was at Rara HQ was a total flop and was crying to mommy.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Akane’s backing was I guess to win for the peace from Rara’s conquest. Akane is all about rules and probably felt all the tech should have been under the UN’s control. Easy to forget the women behind the leaders.

Akane was the Inspector liaison between the EDF and UN as a sanctioned private army under Article 39 of the UN charter. Basically stating that in times of distress, the Military Council can appoint a recommendation to the UN to restore peace. In this case that the EDF be given resources, land, and authority to fight the aggressor Rara Army on behalf of the world.

Akane is there to keep Commander Sanada in check, report back to the UN. Which is how Ayuko got the UN report on Kazuki in a roundabout way. Akane, going by her comments during the Kazuko incident, also didn’t personally approve of Rara. Saying he was an ugly old coot that shouldn’t be the representative of the human race.

The questionable thing, is why did Akane stick around at the EDF after it was abandoned by the UN? Instead of being branded as traitors, she should have jumped ship. Could be that it was part of the deal that everyone involved with the EDF was targeted… but we don’t know that. Could be she stuck around due to some sense of attachment, but that’s conjecture.

It’s also worth noting that the Ken’s EDF full title is Earth Defense Force Far East HQ. So there may have been other EDF bases that got wiped out before it got to the Japan branch. We simply aren’t given more info there.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Is there translated Dual novels? If there’s a site to look them up or download, is it safe and how much is there?
      jgzinv
      There are no novels, sadly.

There’s a fair bit of manga, there’s the US fan guide, the Japanese Data File (guide), two doujinshi, insert

booklets with the LD’s and DVDs, and some digital notes, but that’s pretty much it besides the series itself.

Other supporting information can be gleaned from GXP and the OVA timelines, as well as references in Geminar.

There was supposed to be a CD-ROM as well, but it got sent to the trash heaps after production. Never made it to

Japanese stores.

But that’s mostly it besides the series itself. The rest is just trinkets, figures, posters, stuff.

The reason I know as much as I do was along with MitsukiLover we’re some of the last active members from the DualFans

board back from 2003. I spent a lot of time and money importing stuff trying to dig for answers, but various

circumstances led to the demise of the community, though fans are still out there.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      sadface1

The show had potential of a spinoff or second season

jgzinv
      I’d encourage you to read Spaghetti or Curry by COhugh at the dualfans link (fanfic section).

Depending on your Mitsuki alignment, might find it fitting. But it was sequel worthy at the time.

There was quite a bit of fanfiction back in the day, not all of it is gathered there.

One of my favorites (plot wise) was this one, https://www.fanfiction.net/s/253901/1/Everything-In-Its-Right-Place

Sequel wise, Kajishima evidently didn’t think highly of Dual, his “original vision” was closer to Geminar.

So I wouldn’t hold your breath. It’s George Lucas syndrome…

AJ LightH
      Still trying to get those Dvds. Come on, Funimation. woooo1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Re-Mastered episodes if they want to sell them.
      jgzinv
      Amazon has the individuals used it looks like, combined for not more than about $40.

eBay, – nope.

All of Craigslist – nope

Sadly it’s not one of those things where you can import the JP version as they still have 2-3 box sets floating

around since the Rondo Robe collections were mass produced.

I really seriously doubt anyone would remaster Dual. Funi would be the most likely, but I don’t think the spin offs

have been that profitable for them. Can you imagine the horror of Funi re-dubbing the show? It’d be way way different

considering how much of it was ad-libbed by the US VAs.

Sully Sullivan was the con manager and a big Tenchi fan that had all the LDs. She didn’t even know Dual existed.

So I doubt their Tenchi brand manager at Funi is any better. We never could get in direct contact, though we tried several times.

Noizimi and Discotek would be the best chance of getting Dual back again. I doubt Funi would be much interested.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

Noizimi and Discotek would be the best chance of getting Dual back again. I doubt Funi would be much interested.

I think Noizimi is the one, they did El Hazard Wanderers, they could do Dual Re-mastered release

You can never tell though. But yeah Noizimi would probably be the best bet.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      HD it, higher resolution, maybe some old covers or concept art for extras. Any Dual fan would feel revitalized by the re-mastered release.
      jgzinv
      Really the {dash} limited edition box was great on it’s own…

http://www.ny.airnet.ne.jp/kenrow/diary/img2005/p4111705.jpg" />

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

Really the {dash} limited edition box was great on it’s own…

Yeah, emphasis on the “Limited”….

jgzinv
      You can still import em… not a lot of them, but here and there.

I have one. badass1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      From where? I really don’t know where to import from anything.
      Zinv can help you there.
      jgzinv
      Before I go looking at estimates and pencil work… are you fine with it being Japanese only and

a region 2 DVD? The JP sets don’t have the US audio and you have to be able to set your DVD player

to a different region for it to read, typically that can be done a few times before it locks.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I prefer English dubs. I like subs, but I want to enjoy the video without having to read the dialogue every other second. I likely find a dvd here or download the eps, but let me know what you find.
      jgzinv
      Rare still sealed DVD box set for $70

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231955158292

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      sounds awesome, and also understandably expensive, would be great if i could afford it.
      jgzinv
      These retailed at $80 originally, and typically go for $110-120. So 70 is a steal really for one originally shrink wrapped.

I’ll actually be out in Owensboro in June for OMG!Con, ironically enough. Found several loose DVDs in the local area in the last month too…. craziness.

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.