Dubs and Subs Monday

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Dubs and Subs Monday

• This topic is empty.
    I feel a bit like having gone full circle here almost,but starting next month I’ve decided to make

Monday nights Dub/Sub night.The rest of the week (Tues.-Sun.) I will continue watching my anime

in raw Japanese.

The decision came after watching the dub outtakes and in the studio extras for Princess Tutu.

For starters I plan on watching those series that I’ve only watched raw or subbed.In the first case

it will depend on whether it’s hybrid or sub only.In case of the former then I’ll probably try the dub.

In a sub only I’ll keep the sub on.

It should be fun. iloveit1

Viewing 53 reply threads
  • Replies
      Reasons why I plan on doing this:

1. I don’t want to get burn out on the Raws and figure this is one good way of avoiding it.

2. I don’t want to turn into a Language Snob.

3. If I really think what matters is enjoying and having fun watching Anime and language or language format doesn’t matter I should practice what I preach.

4. It gives me a chance to compare the original Japanese with the English version.

5. I think it’s just time that watch some of these shows dubbed to just give me a new perspective.

For April I have planned to watch the following:

Diebuster (subbed)

Full Metal Panic:The Second Raid (dubbed)

Moonphase (dubbed)

Madlax (dubbed)

I am especially eager to compare the Japanese and English versions of my favorite loli Vampire,

Hazuki.

My main plan then is to continue to watch what I have scheduled raw and then when I re-watch

on an episode on a Monday to do it either subbed or dubbed.The only time I plan on watching more than one episode would be if it’s a)short episodes with only 15 or less minutes or b) only 2-3 episodes

long.

For example when I get to re-watch Dragon Half subbed I plan on watching the entire thing.

One series I am eager to re-watch dubbed now is Inuyasha:The Final Act to see what the new

Kagome sounds like.

Monday I re-watched Full Metal Panic:TSR dubbed. I now wish I had watched one that had more Tessa in it so I had a better chance of actually judging Hilary Haag in the role. Christ Paton as

Sousuke was well…Chris Paton. Alison Keith’s Melissa was passable except she seems to keep

mispronouncing Sousuke and Kaname’s names,or else it was her accent.

Overall not bad.

Next Moonphase dub and we shall see my reaction to our favorite loli vampire.

Moonphase:Elfriede was pretty badass,though she’s that in any language. Monica Rial I thought was a bit overly bratty as Hazuki though.Not as subtle as in the original Japanese version.

Though she did have a couple of great lines,especially addressing Kouhei:

“Did all the blood suddenly climb up to your brain and choke it to death?” after he wonders if

Elfriede wouldn’t mind modeling for him.And:

“This is underwear!” when he gets overly curious about the packages that Hiromi has sent over

for her.

Next week the dub of Madlax.

I give the dub of Madlax a B not too bad but could be better.

Luci Christian’s Margaret Burton sounded a bit too young and Nancy Novotny sounded a bit petulant

as Madlax,though she did get some great lines including: “It’s ok..I’m back to my old self now.” before

going up against Enfant.

Mike Kleinhenz’ Friday Monday was solid enough for the time he was on screen,though Vic Mignona sounded like he was phoning it in as Carrossa Doon.

Kira Vincent-Davis did a good job as Eleonore Baker as did Cynthia Martinez as Laetitia;though I think the best job in the dub was done by Kelly Manison as Vanessa Rene.She certainly hit the mark and is the main reason I give it a B.

I was hoping to watch an episode with Lt. Limelda in it but unfortunately this wasn’t one so I couldn’t tell how good or bad a job Christine Auten did.

Next: the dub of Devil Lady

Devil Lady for the era in which it was dubbed wasn’t too bad actually. I really enjoyed it,though like Madlax I happened to select an episode that didn’t have one of the main characters in it.In this case it was Lan Asuka.Too bad as I would have been interested in a comparison

between her VA and her seiyuu.

OTOH,I thought that the VA who did Jun did a wonderful job of it. Just the right amount of gentleness

to capture her overall character.Kazumi’s VA also did a pretty good job.

Next week I go back to the subs with:Ghost Sweeper Mikami.

I chose episode 7 to watch the sub of Ghost Sweeper Mikami because of it’s the one that introduces Dr.Chaos and Maria plus more of our favorite ditzy Ghost Sweeper Meiko and her

menagerie of shikikami pets. Also it’s one of the few times you’ll ever see a ghost so scared she

faints! (Poor Okinu!)

What I like about Maria is she is such a literal android.For example when Dr.Chaos tells her not to let

Tadao go, he forgets about the body swap and she literally won’t let him go once he’s in Tadao’s body until he tells her who he is! 😆 😆 😆

Next week the dub of Geneshaft

Geneshaft wasn’t like the previous ones I watched dub since I had already seen the entire

series on the late and lamented Anime Unleashed on the late and lamented Techtv.Still it did give

me a bit of a shock to hear Mary Elizabeth McGlynn’s voice coming out of Sophia after being so used to her playing the Major on Ghost In the Shell.

Love Amanda Winn Lee as Mika.She gives her the right balance of naive innocence and spunk.

Cutie Honey subbed on Monday.This was a sub only series.The first time around Raw was fun enough but the second time helped to clear things up.Especially why Sister Jill was after that picture.

It was also one of the sadder episodes since it comes after the destruction of St.Chapel’s and the death of Natusko.

Next week we do something Revolutionary 😆 , the dub of Utena. I hope to watch the episode where Utena and Anthy switch bodies.

Utenaepisode 8:This was the one with all of the elephants in it! iloveit1

Poor Nanami didn’t have to go through all that trouble after all! 😆 😆

As far as the dub went,I think it was about average,the only real thing to mention about it was that no-one in the entire cast could say either Utena or Anthy’s name right.

Now repeat after me everyone: U-Tin-Ah not OO-Ten-Ah.

Next week the sub of Dragon Half

Dragon Half is pure silliness.Mitsuishi Kotono is really goofy as Mink,and then the whole

ED where she sings as Mink.Some how she really does a good job playing ditzy or goofy characters

although she can play a serious one when she needs to.

Next the dub of Murder Princess.

I forgot to comment on the Murder Princess dub. It was not too bad,especially the two leads.

Though the main problem is figuring out which played which because of the body swap in episode 1.

Overall though I think whichever one was the Alita/Falis character managed to show her gentle and kind nature quite well. I think Colleen Clickenbeard was the Falis/Alita,if I’m not mistaken. I have to say I enjoyed her work since she’s been playing Rachel on Case Closed.

This Monday I watched episode 2 of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The sub helped to clarify

a lot of things,but it also just made both Homura and Mami even more soawesome1 .

Watching it after watching the entire thing raw gave it a bit more irony. Especially true knowing who

it that the same person who asked Homura what her wish was when she became a Magic Girl was the same one who had her promise not to tell anyone when she made her wish.Also the same person who made her promise to stop Madoka from becoming a Magic Girl in the first place.

Next Monday more MG goodness with the dub of Pretear.

The good news was that I picked episode 4 to watch which was one of the most comedic.

The bad news was that not enough Mikage or Mawata.Of what there was Mikage showed her

gentle and kind side(yeah this is before the Big Reveal(tm)of her being The Big Bad(tm)).

Luci Christian’s Himeno reminded me of her Duck from Princess Tutu.

I also watched the interview with Luci Christian on the Behind The Anime extra. kiyonesmile1

I really love watching those types of extras as you get to see the people behind the voices.

Next week the sub of some show you’ve never heard about because this is a Tenchi forum and no-one here has ever heard of:War on Geminar……. 😆 😆 😆 😆

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      ’bout time.
      Yeah…well I’ve been taking my time.

I ended up watching episode 6 the one with the infamous Pillow Fight! 😆 😆

In short Chiaia and Aura are still up there but Yukine’s stock has slowly risen.And Queen Flora

is totally insane. 😆

Though it did have a serious part when the resort is attacked.

The only downside was no Doll/Mexiah,although as Lashara and Maria admit if Mexiah and Flora were in the same place it would be disastrous! iloveit1

Next week I am going to watch the dub of Ai Yori Aoshi.

The dub for Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi was not bad but rather average. I watched episode 8 because

of the sheer terror that Taeko’s driving gives poor Kaoru,Chika and Tina.Overall it was a fun

episode and Wendee Lee really seems to have got into the role of Tina. iloveit1

The Good:Michelle Ruff as Aoi and Wendee Lee as Tina. soawesome1

also they keep the Japanese honorifics in!

The Bad: Dave Leylyveld as Kaoru keeps pronouncing Chan as Chun all the time.

Everyone pronounces Aoi as Owwie as in “Mommy I got an owwie!”

The Ugly: The look the monkey gives Tina in the hot springs.

I’m taking next Monday off and will be watching an episode of Eureka,so next up will

be the sub of Bubblegum Crisis in 2 weeks.

I’m finally getting around to watching the dub of Inuyasha:The Final Act next month.
      Bubblegum Crisis on Monday and some good old classic ’80s anime. soawesome1

Next week the dub of Blassreiter.

As I said previously I watched the dub of Blassreiter on Monday night.As I also said on

KinoftheStars I think I chose the wrong episode to watch as it was episode 12,the cliffhanger for

Season 1.

It had plenty of action but was one that was hard to judge the overall merit or demerit of the dub by.

As I also said at KinoftheStars forum I will have to watch the whole series dubbed to really get a good

idea of how good or bad it is.

That said fwiw I really thought the female VAs did a rather good job especially Amanda’s. soawesome1

next week: the sub of Pumpkin Scissors.

Finally saw the dub for Inuyasha:The Final Act.I have to say that it took a few minutes to readjust to

hearing the English dub after watching the Japanese for so long.Kelly Sheridan,Kirby Morrow and

Richard Ian Cox sounded like their normal selves and Kira Torey as the newcomer did a good job as

Kagome picking off where Moneca Stori left off.

I’m also glad that Ms Torey didn’t try too hard to play her like she was doing a Moneca Stori imitation

but rather trying to make the role her own.

To be honest it took a while to recognize Morrow and Sheridan’s voices but Cox’ was recognizable off the bat.

Ok so I’m biased since it is my second favorite anime. iloveit1

Next week the sub for Girls Und Panzer.

I saw the sub of episode 4 of Girls Und Panzer on Monday for two main reasons:

1.the Oorai girls doing the goosefish dance after the battle with St.Gloriana is so fun to watch(and

note that it comes down to only a nano-second in firing the cannon that makes the difference between which school’s Shan-do team does the goosefish dance.)

2.The awesomeness of Darjeeling! soawesome1

My favorite character not on the Oorai team and not a member of Anglerfish.(Mako and Hana are my two favorites on that team.)

Next Monday with a bit of dread I approach the dub of Wedding Peach I wanna watch one of the ones with Potamos in it.

WEDDING PEACH dub on Monday wasn’t as bad as I expected,though the girls were rather OTT when it came to their Transformations and Attacks. I also half expected Larissa Woolcott to shout out:

“Hail Ilpalazzo!” at times since she also played Excel from ep.14-26 of EXCEL SAGA.

Other than not not much to complain about,though I still would stick to the Japanese version.

Next week: BLACK LAGOON subbed.

Black Lagoon episode 21 on Monday. I think the only difference between watching the raws and the sub is when there’s English being spoken by the characters the subs can be a bit

annoying.

Then again even though Revy is supposed to be a native English speaker she does have an accent from living in Southeast Asia for so long.

Anyhows this was the one that showed Balalaika’s background and also continued the final arc that centered around the poor ill fated Yukio(probably the most suitable match for Rock).

Next week the dub of Chobits which means Michelle Ruff as Chii. iloveit1

Chobits was fun. It reminded me of why Michelle Ruff is one of my favorite VAs. I jokingly

think sometimes that she and Tanaka Rei are the same person since they have a tendency to play the same characters a lot.

The episode I watched was Chii Finds episode 5. It’s the one where Hideki finds the book:

The Town With Nobody and gives it to Chii.One of the positives about it is that Pioneer kept

Sumomo’s name and didn’t change it to Plum as in the manga.

Also Crispin Freeman’s in this dub. So altogether not too bad (except maybe Yumi’s voice sounded a bit too high).

Next on to the sub of everyone’s fave underwater inkvader:Squid Girl on next Monday.

Saw episode 11 of Squid Girl on Monday. The part where they go on the hike to the top of the mountain and then Squiddy gets pissed when she learns they could’ve taken the tram instead

was hysterical!

And next the dub of another little known series around here called El Hazard,The Alternative World. I wanna see the Hot Springs episode.

El HAzard: The Alternative World was average but fun. And yes indeedy I did watch the hot springs episode. A lot of the usual hot springs goings ons. Plus that idiot Jinnai finds himself back on El Hazard having to come face to face again with his ‘bride’.

Overall great lot of eye candy and nonsense from the gang.

Next week the sub of Escaflowne.

Watched episode 23 of Escaflowne sub on Monday. This is the series I was watching when I began my journey into watching anime Raw and was the first one I watched Raw. The episode I selected was the one where Hitomi finally gets disgusted with all the fighting and wants to go home,and then vanishes in front of everyone.

It was great fun. And next week everyone’s favorite Harvest Goddess dubbed in Spice And Wolf.

The Spice And Wolf dub was pretty fun and well done. I saw episode 00 aka The OVA, which is set between Season 1 and Season 2. Holo needs to work on her jealousy as her feelings for Lawrence

come out full throttle in the episode.

Next the sub of the Sakura Wars movie.

Sakura Wars:The Movie was enjoyable again and of course Yokyama Chisa, our beloved

Sasami as Sakura. soawesome1

The only annoying thing about it was when they had English dialogue with the subs. I wish there was a way of eliminating that part but keep the subs when it reverts back to Japanese.

Any way Maria’s seiyuu did an excellent job with her English ( remember Maria’s half-Russian, so

English isn’t her native language) and showed her total badassery again. iloveit1 soawesome1

Next week being the week of Halloween I’m watching the dub of Blood-C:The Last Dark.

Blood-C: The Last Dark dub was pretty good actually. Of course when watching the movie one has to spend some time in the Nono Nene Theater and enjoy our favorite ditzy twins.

AFAIG with the actual movie the only disappointment was that they didn’t get Kari Wahlgren to

revise her role as Saya. That said the VA who did play her did an excellent job.

The only other thing I have to say is that the way the movie ends one expects a further series, OVA or movie.

Next week everyone’s fave Goddesses in the sub of Ah! My Goddess. I want to re-watch the season 2 episode where Belldandy looses her Goddess license and is issued a Demon license instead! iloveit1

Made a tentative list today splitting my collection between Raws. Subs and Dubs. Basically anything new or I haven’t seen Raw before goes under the Raw category and the rest under Subs or Dubs.

A few like Silent Mobius I’ve already seen all three ways.

Ah! My Goddess Season 2 episode 21. I watched this episode in particular because I enjoyed watching Belldandy running around doing what she thinks is ‘bad things’ which considering how

innocent and sweet she is isn’t that bad. And of course this also had Peorth, Marlier and Hild in it as well as our regular Goddess Sisters. Which made it three times as fun! soawesome1

Next week the dub of Moribito. I haven’t seen it dubbed since it was on Adult Swim on

the Toon Network.But from what I remember it was pretty decent.

Forgot how 8-) Moribito was. Watched episode 5 dubbed on Monday. In this one Balsa spends most of the time in bed from the wounds she acquired at the end of episode 4.

Next week is the sub of Kaliedo Star. soawesome1 iloveit1

By this time a lot of you know how high I am on Kaleido Star, so needless to say I enjoyed the sub of The Princess Without A Smile Ova. This centered on Rosetta and the Fool.

Next week the dub of Buso Renkin I want to do the episode where Mahiro and Kazuki’s friends find him and Tokiko practicing because that’s just so hilarious when they try to bluff their way out by claiming to be siblings (much to Mahiro’s surprise! 😆 😆 😆 )

I just want to see if her response in the NA dub is as funny as in the Japanese: “Big Sister!”

The Buso Renkin dub wasn’t too bad, though everyone mispronounced Kazuki’s name as

KAZOOKIE! Kiyofacepalm1

That was the worse part,other than that the VAs were mainly spot on especially Papillon and

Tokiko. Though Kazuki’s VA sounded overly melodramatic when he called up his Buso Renkin.

As I said I watched episode 2 because of the reaction of Mahiro when Kazuki and Tokiko ttry to

convince everyone they’re brother and sister! 😆

In any language this is utterly confusing for poor Mahiro who actually is Kazuki’s sister! iloveit1

Next week the sub of Rozen Maiden: Traumend.

Saw episode 6 of Rozen Maiden: Traumend which of course features the soawesome1

Suigunto; which meant of course the also soawesome1 Tanaka Rei being featured.

Next week The Wolverine with Hugh Jackman (hey at least it’s set in Japan and has a great

heroine) so my next Dub/Sub will be the dub of All Puprose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku Tv.

IIRC this one has the American voice of Misato in it.(Need to look it up for sure.)

Well I ended the year of watching subs and dubs with Sailor Moon SuperS. As I said at the

KinoftheStars forum I give it a B-/C+ for the dub. The VAs for Queen Nehelenia, Amy, Mina and Raye

were the best IMHO. And the worst was Rini. Can we just kill her now and get her out of our misery? 😆

So now looking forward to when I get around to see the ViZ version of season 1 of Sailor Moon

because Michelle Ruff as Luna and Stephanie Sheh as Usagi. Though I am now quite fond of the original Japanese cast. iloveit1 iloveit1

This year I begin with the sub of Princess Tutu.

It’s interesting to note that if you count the fact I watched the sub of FLCL twice (and how can you not with the Pillows and Ride On Shooting Star?) I’ve watched 18 subbed and 19 dubbed in

2015 on Mondays for a total of 37.

The number of anime I’ve watched raw on a regular basis has been 24 (counting the fact that I just

started Ikki-tousen yesterday night.

So the grand total of anime watched in 2015 was around 61.

btw: my one anime resolution this year is just to be able to sit back and relax and enjoy what I watch each night whether raw, subbed or dubbed. mmmm1 mmmm1

Princess Tutu subbed episode 5 began the new year of watching anime subbed and dubbed

on Mondays. Rue is awesome of course. soawesome1 iloveit1

Next week the dub of Armitage III: Dual Matrix.

Armitage III:Dual Matrix dubbed on Monday. Juliette Lewis does a good job as Armitage.

I don’t know but wasn’t the role made for her? In any case she really kicks butt.

Of course this is one of my favorite anime movies so I am a bit prejudiced here.

Next week Momo Girl God of Death sub.

Watched Momo, Girl God of Death episode 1 subbed on Monday. I was surprised to see that

it’s also dubbed. IIRC there was a English language option in the language menu.

Next week everyone’s favorite buxom gunslinger in Grenadier dubbed.

Grenadier episode 6 dubbed Monday. This was basically Mikan’s backstory though a lot of time was spent with a literal running gag about Rushuna loosing her panties in mid-battle.

Wendee Lee plays Rushuna in the dub and was as always: soawesome1 !

Next week I start February with the sub of Cat’s Eye.

Cat’s Eye was interesting as the main antagonist in it was a female thief nicknamed:

“Lupin’s Bride” which was an obvious reference to everyone’s favorite gentleman thief

Lupin The Third . I doubt if the character herself was actually Fujiko, but the homage was

obvious.

Next week is going to be interesting since I watch the dub of Kiddy Grade on Monday then

start watching what I have of it on Wednesday.

I just love Eclaire to death.

Kiddy Grade watched episode 22. Colleen Clickenbeard did a good job as Eclaire and after awhile I would have to say that Moica Rial did a fairly good job as well as Lumiere. The one disappointment was Tweedledee. I thought her VA gave her too low a voice. Fortunately she and

Tweedledum were only in it for about a minute or less.

The entire episode dealt with Eclaire’s past history with Chevalier. Overall I have to give the Funi

dub an C+ for that episode.

Not too average but still not good enough for even a B- . Though I think watching the Japanese

version has spoiled me a bit. Also despite rating it a C + I still want to get the complete series one of these days since I have only Cases 3 and 8.

Next week a break as I watch everyone’s favorite Time Lord, but after that another try at the dub

for Haibane Renmei

Haibane Renmei episode 9. I haven’t watched it for awhile so didn’t have to worry about

comparing the sub with the dub this time around. As a result I enjoyed it more than the last time that I tried watching the dub.

I think the only disappointment I had at first was with Rakka’s VA but then I realized further on that they were probably trying to portray her overall innocence and naivity.

Though in any language the entire lecture that the Speaker gives Rakka on the meaning of being

Sin Bound is confusing unless you have a PHD in Philosophy of Religion or are really into studying

Eastern Religious thought.

Next week Vividread

Saw episode 6 of Vividred Monday night. Since this was a sub only series…

The episode was a fun excuse to get the girls in swimsuits. It also showcased the eccentricities of the

girls. For example whilst Wakaba is the tomboy of the group, she is such a girly girl when it comes to bugs.

OTOH Himawari is one of those people who can’t just help but push buttons, especially when there’s a sign that says:don’t push this button!. 😆

Also Aoi can be brave when she needs to.

No need to mention that Rei is again the one of the coolest characters here.

Well now I’m more embarrassed than Maria at the end of episode 14 of Hayate The Combat Butler. I had thought it was hybrid but it turned out to be sub only. Ah…well…. blush1

Onward and upward and next Monday the sub of Bleach. Need me some Rukia! soawesome1

Bleach watched episode 11. This series has gone on like forever now. So it was interesting to see the introduction of Uryu and his initial duel with Ichigo over who could kill the most Hollows.

Next week the dub of Boogiepop Phantom one of the better dubs of the early 2000s.

Re-watched the dub of episode 8 of Boogiepop Phantom on Monday. This is one of the anime in my collection that I first saw on the late lamented Techtv’s Anime Unleashed block.( I have to wonder if they hadn’t been forced to merge with G4 if they would still be around.)

Any ways this episode was about Nagi and gave a day in the life view through the eyes of Koruda’s

‘Double’.

I noticed this is on my list of anime to view dubbed the next time I watch.

btw: Rachel Lillis did a wonderful job of Nagi which is why she’s my favorite character. soawesome1

Watched three episodes of Bottle Fairy subbed on Monday.

Next week the dub of Kaliedo Star. I plan on watching the second OVA: Flight of the Phoenix:The Layla Hamilton Story for to reasons:

1. Layla is my second favorite after Sora and

2. She’s also : soawesome1

Kaleido Star:Flight of Phoenix:The Layla Hamilton Story was subbed only which was alright

because Ohara Sayaka= soawesome1

This Monday I watched the sub of the Dirty Pair OVA episode 8. Kei and Yuri are assigned to

look into a cold case from twenty years ago after they rescue a girl who is the only living witness.

The girl was drifting in space in suspended animation.

The irony of course is that she’s actually older than the Lovey Angels/Dirty Pair.

*Bump*

FWIW: I decided to switch things around and so from now on I will be watching Raws on Mondays and the rest of the week

either Dubs or Subs.

The first of the Raw Mondays was this week and I watched an episode of Gundam Seed Destiny. I think this is going to be the month of the Mecha since I am also watching Yukikaze and Full Metal Panic:TSR on Monday.
Viewing 53 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.