English "Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen"

Forums Off Topic Video Games English "Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen"

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    No, it wasn’t a chicken, it was an SNES game released in the mid-to-early-90s, based on the Tenchi Muyo OVA continuum.

My question is: Has anyone played this, and, if so, does anyone have some favorite frames or quotes from it?

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Replies
      Anonymous
      Played it? How about own it complete in box :duke2:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/IMG_20110817_231305.jpg" />

Also, Stepdad that screenshot isn’t from the 100% translation mod, which fixed 90% of the problems the original had, lol

Dagon123 wrote:

Also, Stepdad that screenshot isn’t from the 100% translation mod, which fixed 90% of the problems the original had, lol

Would have been fixed if they just brought it over here instead of hoarding it ;_;

Anonymous

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

Dagon123 wrote:

Would have been fixed if they just brought it over here instead of hoarding it ;_;

It really would have (Fist of the North Star and Bastard’s SNES games made it over, and honestly they both suck, lol)

All 3 of the Banpresto RPGS (Sailormoon, Slayers and Tenchi) were all huge franchises, but it was either

1.) AIC / Nintendo didn’t think there was enough profit in it

2.) Or there was some really odd licensing problem (Which wouldn’t surprise me why the Sailormoon one didn’t make it)

In the back of my head getting a copy of the game itself would be a nice trophy. That’s something at least, but I ain’t got no Super Famicom or Japanese skills.
      Anonymous

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

In the back of my head getting a copy of the game itself would be a nice trophy. That’s something at least, but I ain’t got no Super Famicom or Japanese skills.

Honestly, getting a super famicom isn’t all that hard to do, getting one that isn’t yellowed will run you about the same as a Super Nintendo of the same shape, as well you can just use your Super Nintendo chords and controllers for (I would highly recommend this for the AC because lord knows you want to plug it in and turn on and Fry your 80 dollar investment, lol)

GregTheLion
      Hey Guys!

I just found, and collected a series of music from the Tenchi game Hen.

These were all put up on Youtube by SUTOruin

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC4CE492CBAA49411&feature=viewall” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC4CE492CBAA49411&feature=viewall

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Awesome, man.

[listens to tracks]

:hero: ALL HAIL GREG!!!

GregTheLion
      Thanks Washuu ^^’

Also, while looking around, I found some sprite rips from the game

Tenchi

Washu (ironic)

Ryo-ohki

If anyone can find anymore, that’d be fun ^^

Edit: I found a website that has the most rips for the Ryoko sprites, but they’re not in a sheet together,

So i’ll send a link to the website here

Edit2: Found some Ayeka sprites, but they’re incomplete

And in the same site, I also found sprites for:

Mihoshi

Sasami

Aaand some of everyone else

I’ll be sure to keep looking for more and – wait…?

SAKUYA!?

NO!! PURE EVIL!!

Enjoy

jgzinv
      Might be from other games… but oh well.

http://www.gsarchives.net/index2.php?category=all&system=snes&game=tenchi_muyo&type=sprites

http://tsgk.captainn.net/?p=showsheets&t=sr&sr=352

http://ggurlz.la-soldier.net/adopt/anime.htm

We used to have a lot of people at the AFC that used these animated for signatures…

We’ve got some leftovers here: http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff307/AyekaFanClub/Forum%20Avatars/

Be sure to take a look through the different folders on the right side menu.

GregTheLion
      One thing I don’t get about these sprites…

Why the hell aren’t these in TSR!?

Crazed
      none
      Want to play Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen and be able to understand it? Well lucky for us all there is a way to enjoy the game without learning all the Kanji and here’s how you do it!

Note: Sometimes your anti-virus software will recognize emulators and/or ROM’s as a virus but this is almost always a false alarm. If your’s does this it is up to your discretion to continue. I am not responsible for anything that happens. I have already downloaded and played/tested this and everything worked fine.

First you will need to download a Super Nintendo emulator. Think of this as the “console”. You can download the emulator here http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/” class=”bbcode_url”>http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/ If you have Windows it is recommended that you use ZSNES and if you have a Mac use Snes9x (I have not tested the Mac one as I have Windows). Click the blue download link on the bottom to start the download (the other ones are just ads and don’t give it to you). After you download it click on the download and a page on should pop up with two things on it; one should say “docs” with a folder beside it and the other should say ZSNES. Double click the ZSNES one and a screen should pop up; when it does hit the button that says “extract all”. Once you do this another screen will pop up only this time the ZSNES’s icon will have the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom logo. When you see this drag that onto your desktop. Double click it and a screen will pop up asking you to run or cancel the software, hit run. After you hit run you will now be able to use the emulator! Now all we need is the “game” aka the ROM to play.

Type http://www.emuparadise.me in the search bar to get to that webstie in-order to obtain the ROM. On the website search for Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen. Go down to where it says ROM’s and look for a link in orange that says “Tenchi Muyou! – Game Hen (Japan) [En by BorderLine + LNF v1.0] ROM” and click on it. Click on #6 download links. Then click the orange link again. Click the orange link yet again. It will then download the ROM. After downloading it click on it and a screen should pop up with the name of the ROM, it will also tell you that the file type is an SFC file. Now go back to your downloads. You will then see the name of the ROM with an icon of a compressed zip folder beside it. Drag that folder into the desktop icon of the ZSNES. It will then start the game on it’s own.

Congratulations you can now enjoy Tenchi Muyo! Game Hen without guessing your way through it! Now go and enjoy the wonderful game that you could normally never understand!

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Thanks for the time and amount of input here crazed! I can’t verify your process for the good people of the forum because I’ve already had my english game hen rom for a while now, but I’m sure your instructions are good. I hope this thread helps more people get their hands on this awesome, and otherwise completely unattainable game! It’s super fun and a great way to waste a good couple of hours unlocking and maxing all of the characters (Azaka and Kamidake are tanks when maxed out)!
      WisperG
      I can vouch for his instructions. He helped walk me through it on the chat last night. Thanks again Crazed :D

Just keep an eye out for those stupid ads that look like Download buttons. They’re all over those pages, and I *almost* clicked a few :?

Crazed
      none
      No problem Wisper I hope you enjoy it!

Just to specify the ads look like giant blue or green “download now” icons, so if you see one DO NOT click on it!

Anonymous
      It’s sad that Borderline dropped off the grid considering the great re-work of the original translation he did (He’s the guy that did the 100% version of the game back in 09)

He actually asked me if there were any other Tenchi games, and as soon as I showed him that they were completely untranslated and on much harder platforms like the PS1, his enthusiasm to work on them disappeared quickly, lol

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

JGZinv wrote:

Might be from other games… but oh well.

In a similar vein:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HheaqmwQ9I[/BBvideo]

The youtube uploader requested this be passed along to other Tenchi fans (and I think it would also be nice to have additional info from knowledgeable folk here as well) so I said I’d help them out. This particular link is from a Pretty Sammy video game, though I am unsure of its exact title and system.

This channel has a lot of other playthroughs as well, including visual novel Tenchi Muyou! Toukou Muyou (Playstation) so check it out if you’re interested in seeing Tenchi gameplay.

jgzinv
      We should talk at some point in mumble who. While I don’t believe I can split myself yet again to head up another team, I do think we have the translation resources at hand to work on a game if that’s something you want to do.
      WisperG
      That would actually be really cool if we could work on some of those super-obscure Tenchi games. But you’re right JG, we shouldn’t bite off more than we can chew. We should remain focused on the dojinshi for now, but this would be a sweet long-term goal to have. I’d offer to help in any way I can if we ever get to that point.

Also, that Sammy video shows a loading screen with an image of a PS1 memory card, so I’m gonna go out on a limb and say its a PS1 game 😉 . Possibly MGPS Part 1: In The Earth. Actually, scratch that. I did some more digging and I was close, but it actually appears to be from Part 2, the sequel.

Jurai
      Participant
      I beat the game entirely in Japanese. Since I didn’t understand Japanese at the time (still don’t, but know some basics). I don’t have a favorite frame. It was excellent. I would love to play it again!
      The-Kaiser
      Participant
      Best SNES game shame it wasnt Ported here to USA prolly would have been a best seller then and now :)

The-Kaiser wrote:

Best SNES game shame it wasnt Ported here to USA prolly would have been a best seller then and now :)

I find this hard to believe as anime was still pretty niche back in the early 90’s and the game played very slow. Tenchi didn’t explode here until the late 90’s or early 2000’s, and by then the SNES/Super Famicom was considered ancient. Even if it was released here, I think it would have been easily overshadowed by Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG and whatever Final Fantasy was released at the time, all games with much more depth and appeal than the Tenchi RPG.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Yeah, gonna side with Stepdad on this one. I don’t think it would have exploded onto the scene or anything, but maybe, just maybe it could have raised interest in Tenchi a few years earlier over here. That would have been cool, especially if it helped lead to a slightly earlier anime boom. Conjecture, I know, but either way it’s ALWAYS good to have more Tenchi brought over!
      Yosho24
      You guys are absolutely right, Tenchi Muyo Game Hen would have been a massive flop if it were released stateside. RPG games were a very niche market here in the good ol’ U-S of A , and unless RPGs had a recognizable name such as “Final Fantasy” or “Dragon Quest” (Called Dragon Warrior here at the time) they were mostly ignored. This was a time when platformers reigned supreme and the RPG was still in its infancy in the states. It wasn’t until 1997 when Final Fantasy VII was released that RPGs gained a following. Secondly, RPG games were very expensive to produce because of battery back-ups inside the cartridges and strategy guides (which were a necessity in the days before internet.) It wouldnt make sense for a publisher to invest all that money into a game that didn’t have name recognition at the time. Tenchi Muyo Game Hen was released in 1995, the same year as another forgotten RPG gem that nobody seemed to care about at the time of its release called “Earthbound” (maybe you’ve heard of it) and that was published by Nintendo itself, not to mention had a huge marketing strategy. The Sony Playstation was also released in late 1995, so interest in the SNES was dwindling. Maybe it’s best that it wasn’t released here because it would probably end up being one of the rarest and most valuable titles on the SNES, like most other forgotten RPGs at the time.
      The-Kaiser
      Participant
      Well i hope someday we get some sort of official ported to English NA or EU Tenchi Game or a collection of games on a disk or some such. mmhmm1
      I wouldn’t hold your breath. Especially since games like that rarely get an official release, let alone 20 years after their release.
      Yosho24
      Definitely snagging one of these. It would look wonderful on my shelf
      TheFrieza
      Just bought one of the boxed ones :) and wow I see only 1 is left now. Some one who wants this had better hurry WANT1
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      I get paid Tuesday. Someone please do me a big favor and don’t buy that last boxed one…

… I can’t believe I’m actually planning on paying more for that fan English release then I would for the OVA DVD Box.

butts1

Edit: well gimmie a good butt-raping. They’re All. Gone. In the first day.

jgzinv
      there were only 5 box copies… once it hit facebook there was no chance. I think they lasted a half hour.
      WisperG
      Ouch, only 10 more copies of the cart and an increase of $10? I was hoping they’d take a while to sell out so I could pace myself on my spending. I just bought several expensive items recently and can’t justify spending much on games right now.
      Anonymous
      2 single carts remain so if you are a little strapped for cash, act fast!

Also, everyone who bought a boxed copy will also receive a mini 12×12 SNES style poster of the game! Tenchismile

TheFrieza
      Hope those who missed out on the first wave managed to get there game this time Tenchismile
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      My bank account gets filled with money in the morning. There had BETTER still BE a BOX left IN STOCK at that time.

fyeah1

Nil Admirari
      none
      2 more left to goooooooooo~

http://i.minus.com/i4C3qmE4J1ovA.gif" />

WisperG
      La copia en caja definitiva, ’tis mine! kiyonesmile1
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      I got the second-to-last copy.

woooo1

Anonymous
      First runs have shipped, those who bought have been sent an email with shipping confirmation
      jgzinv
      Interestingly enough I found you can play the Game Hen in browser

Not sure which translation is which…

http://www.letsplaysnes.com/play-tenchi-muyou-game-hen-english-v0-98-online/

http://www.letsplaysnes.com/play-tenchi-muyou-game-hen-english-translation-online/

jgzinv
      Looks like the boxed game hen I got (1st release copy 3 of 5 ho ho ho ho)

works at least up through the middle of the space ship and the saves work, so all should be good.

Some reason I didn’t get Azaka and Kamidkae outside the ship with Ayeka in my party…

went all over the map but I didn’t play the lower bridge, went all the way back around the top

and I dunno…

For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      Shipping already, hmm? I hope I’m home when mine arrives. (there are a lot of road trips on my calendar coming up…)
      rtil
      i played this on a rom a long time ago. i died at the part where you only are allowed to fight with Ryoko because i neglected leveling her up and there was no way i could win the fight. i should give it another run because i remember it being a lot of fun.
      Nil Admirari
      none
      If you missed out on the first run, we’re currently taking a tally for interest in a second shipment of the Game Hen carts. Click here and let us know if you want to get the drop on a second set of them!
      The-Kaiser
      Participant
      I plan on buying a copy if i can with my income tax check in 2015 mmhmm1
Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.