Favorite Non Anime Cartoons

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat Favorite Non Anime Cartoons

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    For most of us born in the 90’s, we didn’t get to watch anime until the later years, when it was on a national network like toonami. Here, say your favorite cartoon that wasn’t an anime that you watched.
Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Replies
      Since I was around in the ’60s some of my favorites were already classics in the ’90s:

*Archie

*Josie And The Pussycats

*Scooby Doo

*Roadrunner

*Bugs Bunny

*Quickdraw McGraw

*Atom Ant

*Secret Squirrel

*Tennessee Tuxedo

*Mr. Magoo

*Rocky and Bullwinkle

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Scooby Doo

Sherlock Holmes 22nd century

Carmen San Diego

Cybersix

*Underdog

Of course if we’re talking about the ’90s here we must include:

*The Simpsons

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Megas XLR

King of the Hill

Spiderman

Batman

Superman

And don’t forget Futurama. I think that was the ’90s…wasn’t it?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

And don’t forget Futurama. I think that was the ’90s…wasn’t it?

Started in 1999

mitsuki lover wrote:

*Underdog

*The Simpsons

’80s actually, especially if you count the segments on The Tracey Ullman Show.

We already have an almost identical thread called “90’s Cartoon.”

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

SilverWhisper wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

*Underdog

*The Simpsons

’80s actually, especially if you count the segments on The Tracey Ullman Show.

We already have an almost identical thread called “90’s Cartoon.”

This is for all non-anime cartoons from any year. The early 2000’s, 90’s, 80’s, whatever.

Also:

Transformers

Batman Beyond

Totally Spies, one of my favorite ‘Toon Network vices.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      X-men
      SnowQueen

mitsuki lover wrote:

Totally Spies, one of my favorite ‘Toon Network vices.

I loved Totally Spies! Also the earlier seasons of Winx Club and W.I.T.C.H (read it more than watched it but I remember being on TV years back)

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot

can’t believe I forgot this

SnowQueen
      Seeing the word’s Boy Robot reminded me of “My Life as a Teenage Robot” a show I also loved. lol
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Men in Black animated series

The Real Ghostbusters

Never saw Men In Black but would love to have seeing as IIRC Jennifer Lien was in it and Kes

was my favorite Voyager character before Seven of Nine arrived on the scene.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Cubix
      Code Lyoko
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Justice League
      The Tick.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Starship Troopers
      Star Trek:The Animated Series.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Game Over
      Tom And Jerry
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Beetlejuice
      Star Wars:Clone Wars the minisodes.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Magic School Bus
      ChaudSept
      Sponge Bob !
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Animaniacs
      segaman4
      invader zim,teentitans,ren and stimpy,jhonny bravo,powerpuffgirls,courage the cowardly dog
      segaman4
      samurai jack,edd ed and eddy
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Xiaolin Showdown
      Yogi Bear
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Godzilla
      King Kong, I think there were at least 2, the last one had Kirby Morrow in it.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Alienators
      Sabrina, The Teenage Witch and yes Virginia there was a cartoon before the 1990s

live action series starring Melissa Joan Hart.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Young Hercules
      Was there a cartoon? I know there was a short lived live action series.
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Sorry, I meant the Disney Hercules animated Series
      ok.

And I forget if this was mentioned or not but one of the greatest if not the greatest Disney

cartoons of the past 20 years: Kim Possible.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Freakazoid
      Teen Titans
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Back to the Future cartoon series
      Almael
      Geez, how could anyone missed the Flintstones!

Galaxy Rangers

Brainiac mouse

Quote:

“Pinky, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Yes, Brain, but isn’t that dangerous?”

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Almael wrote:

Geez, how could anyone missed the Flintstones!

Galaxy Rangers

Brainiac mouse

Quote:

“Pinky, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Yes, Brain, but isn’t that dangerous?”

Yeah, I did forget Flintstones and Brainiac Mouse

and for some reason I think I remember seeing Popeye cartoon when I was young, but I don’t know when or what it was

The Flintstones had two openings did you know? The original one had Fred driving on the highway with a different theme music,the second is the more familiar one.

And speaking of Hanna-Barbara: The Jetsons,who can forget this vision of the 21st century featuring George Jetson,his wife Jane,daughter Judy,son Elroy and dog Astro.Or their robot maid

Rosie?

Yes this was the series that has disappointed so many of us who grew up back then for one reason and one reason only:How come we don’t have no friggin’ fllyin’ cars today like we’re supposed to?

Avin And The Chipmunks:

I just thought of this one as I was lurking at a classic cartoon forum this past week and they had a

clip from the Alvin And The Chipmunks BD/DVD combo that ended with Dave and the boys doing:My Friend The Witchdoctor probably the only pop song in recorded history to ever

have the name of Walla Walla, Washington being used as a part of the chorus.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Sonic the Underground
      Gargoyles one of the best American made cartoon series ever!
      Almael
      Never seen Gargoyles, but I darkly remember something like that existed.

Muppet Babies and the Thunderbirds iloveit1

Brave Star

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Archer, even though it’s in an adult taste, it’s still a cartoon.
      How many seasons as it been on FX now?
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

How many seasons as it been on FX now?

There’s been 6 seasons

Almael
      How come it has more than Ugly Americans? sadface1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Bob’s Burgers is also good, 5 seasons and renewed for a 6th
      Thunderbirds
      Almael
      Extending it further into the puppet area:

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons iloveit1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      something I grew up with: Captain Planet
      How’s about a shut out to our favorite web slinger?:Spider-Man. soawesome1
      drillmaster
      I am a huge fan of Non Anime animation. If I had to do a quick list off the top of my head, I’d probably choose the following as my favorite shows:

Beast Wars: Especially Season 2, which was the tightest storyline for Transformers for a LONG time. Seriously, Code of a Hero may be THE best episode of any Transformers show ever.

The DCAU: Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League, JLU, Static Shock, Batman Beyond (I have never seen The Zeta Project and really don’t intend to): Probably the greatest animated universe of all time. These shows are so much better than nearly everything DC puts out right now. Kevin Conroy IS Batman. Mark Hamill IS The Joker. Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor. Michael Ironside IS Darkseid. Special points to the following episodes: The Grey Ghost, Heart of Ice, Almost Got Im, Joker’s Favor, The Man Who Killed Batman, Two-Face, The Last Son of Krypton, Apokolips Now!, Injustice for All, Wild Cards, Starcrossed, All of JLU Season 2, Alive, Destroyer, and Out of the Past. In addition, the movies Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker are amazing.

G.I. Joe Renegades: A show killed before its time. Charlie Adler is the best threatening Cobra Commander ever (though Chris Latta is the best comedic. Seriously, Chris Latta was perfect in everything he did from Transformers to his cameo in Roadhouse). The Destro storyline is fantastic. My favorite episodes were probably The Enemy of My Enemy, Knockoffs, and Cutting Edge.

The Spectacular Spider-Man: Another show killed in its prime. This is probably the best interpertation of Spider-Man ever. I love the 90’s cartoon, but it was too heavily edited for broadcast. The X-Men cartoon had similar issues, but got away with a bit more. Both of those are great, but this is better. This is a fantastic distilling of the Spidey mythos and Josh Keaton IS Spider-Man. The Green Goblin storyline was probably my favorite, but special mention goes to Catalysts, Intervention, Identity Crisis, and Final Curtain.

Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes: The Marvel version of JLU. Wonderful acting, great distillation of years of comics. Each episode built off the previous. It made the Wasp a fantastic character, and I never found her character to be interesting in the comics. My favorite episodes were probably Meet Captain America, Living Legend, Ultron 5, Hail HYDRA, A Day Unlike Any Other, and Winter Soldier. The X-Men version of this show is Wolverine and the X-Men, which is set in this continuity.

Batman The Brave and the Bold: Unless you are a stickler for grim and gritty Batman stories, this show is perfect. This IS the Silver Age reborn. Seriously, just watch it. We get an animated adaptation of the Bat Manga, a new adventure with Scooby Doo, a short with Space Ghost, a song about how Batman is better in bed than any other hero, animated Superdickery, Joker and Harley Quinn doing the Time Warp, an episode that is a love letter to Grant Morrison, Booster Gold, AQUAMAN, Ambush Bug, and, for those who prefer your Batman sour, a perfect adaptation of the Silver Age story where Batman confronts Joe Chill, complete with cameos by Adam West, Julie Newmar, Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, and Richard Moll. Between this and BTAS, we have a perfect animated representation of The Dark Knight.

Transformers Animated: The best Transformers show. Just watch it. Mission Accomplished has a montage of Starscream Dying. It is glorious. Plus, more Waspinator.

Transformers Prime: If Animated was too kiddy for you, this is almost as good. Frank Welker is back as Megatron and Peter Cullen is back as Prime. The best character is, again, Starscream. He steals the show and Steve Blum is clearly having a ball with him. Special props for making Arcee an interesting character. It helps that her voice work is top notch.

The Simpsons: Seasons 4-8 are the best. Stick to them and you will be fine.

Archer: Best cartoon in general airing right now.

Steven Universe: Best cartoon aimed at a younger audience right now. I seriously wish this was on as a kid. It is so good.

I have heard great things about Gravity Falls, but haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. I plan to though. I know I haven’t touched on any vintage cartoons like the Hanna Barbera collection (shout out to Where’s Huddles) or Looney Tunes, but what I included here is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think Kevin Conroy has played Bats/Bruce Wayne longer than any other actor now.

Interesting trivia note:X Men:Evolution included just about the entire main cast of

the North American dub of Inuyasha. Other than that the 90’s cartoon was better overall.

Space Ghost was another old favorite from the ’60s.Most of the episodes of course start off with one or other of the twins or their monkey getting into trouble.Then Space Ghost as to bail everyone out.

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.