Favorite Novels Thread

Forums Off Topic Chit Chat Favorite Novels Thread

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Hey guys, here is a thread for discussing any novels anyone may be able to get into or have been thinking about as well as comparing our opinions of such.

I myself being an author will probably refer a few ideas of my work on here but not in direct copy and paste.

So to start of, why not with two books that seem pretty prevalent amidst the fiction community shall we?

Lord of the Rings series

Also the book by Petrea Burchard herself, Camelot and Vine.

Any other reads you all may have ideas to read or have any preferred read that you have experienced, feel free to post them :D

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      I used to be a big fan of the Star Wars Extended Universe novels, particularly the ones by Timothy Zahn (Thrawn Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Douolgy) Kevin J Anderson, and the X-Wing series. I have all of it pretty much up from Shadows of the Empire through the end of the Vong war.

Tom Clancy’s NetForce was a neat look at a virtual world anti cybercrime unit, sort of like an americanzied GitS SAC section 9, without the cyborgs. The Jack Ryan novels were all pretty good as well.

Clive Cussler, I read several of the Dirk Pitt adventures.

Read all the Halo related novels.

In the light fluff category, I’ve read nearly all the Sword Art Online and Accel World light novels, not particularly brain stretching, but enjoyable to expand the story and see how drastically the anime departed from the original formula.

Back in Dual’s heyday, I read a lot of black hole theory and related matieral on time and space, from folks like Brian Greene, Michio Kauku, and Stephen Hawking. Hawking I think had most of it closer to right, the other two I figured had issues….

Lately haven’t done as much paper reading. Did Bible in 90 days, worked some into Systematic Theology. Radical, couple other small books…

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I wanted to get into the Star Wars extended series a bit more to see how expansive it could be.

Also I never read NetForce, though I am a big fan of Tom Clancy’s work; Hunt for Red October in particular.

In terms of anime-related novelistic items I have only read into the Tenchi Manga, and some unofficial excerpts from the Code Geass Light novels.

For books dealing with more scientific pursuits I have to give it to Hawking on Black Hole theory, while not reading the official sources, his name often comes up when I go back to black-hole related sciences and many notes and paraphrasing from what he has written.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      jgzinv
      Well far as the SW books go, I would read anything from the time of the original series, up through the Hand of Thrawn, and if you want the Skywalker wedding, then Union the comic book set. By no means read Outbound Flight Project (by Zahn) or anything after that in the timeline (starting with the Vong invasion).

Basically Del Ray force fed Zahn a book to try to connect the prequiels with the EU, and it was trash. You can clearly feel it’s forced and many grades below his normal writing. Vong series and after they mutilate so many characters and kill off ones established across many of the prior novels… it’s senseless. Basically Del Ray and Lucas felt that the universe wasn’t dark enough, too positive, so they slaughtered it. For an example, they have Han and Leia’s kid’s kill each other, but not before killing Luke’s wife with a poison dart, which she was specially trained against as an assassin, and spent nearly a whole series of books at death’s door fighting poison off with the force. Zahn who designed her character, and is honestly the most well known, offered Del Ray to write a book for free, just to close out her character so to speak… Del Ray told him to shove off.

Zahn started the EU, it might as well be it’s George Lucas, but actually good. So there you go….

So… stay within that zone if you want good books. As of now the EU is basically it’s own thing. Disney is doing their own reboot with elements from it… and that scares a lot of traditionalist fans.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      ^Dude, spoilers! Use that spoiler button, it’s there for a reason! (Lol, I’ve already read all of the EU and pretty much concur entirely with your appraisal, but others might not want to know the grisly details…)

Anyway, I guess I’ll be “that guy” and go with The Great Gatsby. Okay, maybe it isn’t my FAVORITE novel of all time, but it stands out as the prime example of everything I love in a novel. I also love Moby Dick, yes the middle portion of it is basically a collection of essays about whaling, but the story burried underneath is one for the books (especially that ending…)! American novels in general tend to top out my list, but I do have an extreme fondness for the novels of Charles Dickens, with my favorite probably being David Copperfield. I just love the amazing, and seemingly endless, stream of vibrant and compelling characters that populate his stories.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Dude, Dickens won me over in A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield :D But yeah, I never read Moby Dick, but have planned on eventually buying it to read and have as part of my growing collection. I tend ot enjoy American literature quite a bit(not the old 1700s diaries) Even some plays in the early 1900s such as Death of a Salesman and The Crucible.

However, in being a novel thread I must say, The Princess of Mars is an AMAZING read. ^^

Well my paperback copy of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court is rather well thumbed and I also

enjoyed The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Bunnicula was always a worthy read. A dog and a cat come to terms that a vampire rabbit is now sharing their household and winning the hearts of their owners. Good light read, great for kids too.

No I’m serious.

Stop laughing.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      No hate on kids stories, RS. It’s all good lol.

I never read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, though I have heard many good things about it.

Twain basically satirizes the Gilded Age of late 19th century America in it.I read the Classic Comics version before the actual novel.The irony of course is that in the course of ‘modernizing’Arthurian Britian the Yankee

imparts some of the worse aspects of the Industrial Age on the people.Though the opening chapters are all

light and comical.The part where the Yankee goes on a Quest is specially funny.

julia
      I love Kamikaze Girls by Novala Takemoto. If you like Nana, you will probably like this book! I love Takemoto, but I do admit sometimes the fashion history lessons can be a bit too much, especially if I go in to read parts again or something. I also love Missin by him.

I read the novel Howl’s Moving Castle because I love the movie so darn much, they’re pretty different but I freaking loved the book! It was really fun to read.

Villians By Necessity by Eve Forward is a really fun quest fantasy where the roles are reversed and the

Bad Guys become the Heroes and the Good Guys are the Villians!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.