none
    15: Break Out of the Trance

Static. Stasis. Equilibrium.

Static. Stasis. Equilibrium.

Static-

“Tsunami.”

Well, so much for stasis.

‘What is it, Shayne Andrews?’

“Do you think we could talk for a minute? Out of this static-TV-globe-thingy? With, you know, WORDS?”

‘Is it truly difficult for you to communicate in thought, Shayne Andrews?’

“Heck if I know. I just think it’s weird to ‘talk’ like that after using my mouth to communicate for sixteen years.”

“I see.” sighed the goddess as she manifest them both in her chamber of trees. One of the trees shimmered, bringing forth a tea-table set for two. Tsunami sat.

“Uhm… when… how did that get there?” inquired the boy. No reply was given. “Okay. Nevermind, I guess.”

He sat opposite of the goddess and examined his cup.

“You’ve caused quite the stir in the palace,” began Tsunami after a sip of tea. “The trees still murmur about it now.”

The teen simply stared into his cup as the goddess poured him tea. “Sounds like I’ve been in here a while.”

The figure opposite of him smiled, knowing how different one’s perception is from within time.

“You don’t need to be concerned about that. We are within myself; here time does not run out.”

A moment of silence passed over the waters before the goddess spoke again.

“You said you wanted to talk.”

Finally the scowling teen took a sip of the tea and found his voice again.

“Yeah. You mind telling me what happened back there? In the palace I mean.”

“What can you tell me?” the goddess rebutted.

“That’s my point – I don’t remember all of what happened, and I don’t like what I’ve seen in your… static. Whatever that is.”

“It is all the trees and all the time of Jurai,” Tsunami explained. “What you saw is what happened and no more.”

“So, let me get this straight,” began the Texan, “I went to the palace with Mikumo, saw Lady Seto, recognized her… and bolted?”

“You ran, yes. That is what the trees saw.”

Again Shayne scowled and mumbled. “Yay. I’m a coward.” He took another drink of the strange brew. “So I ran, right? And I… fell? Into a tree?” He smirked at his last words.

“You found me -or rather I met you- in the hall of Jurai’s royal trees.” she conceded before pouring more tea for herself. ” The Lady had become quite angry and you were helpless to escape her – even though you could do her no good.”

She raised her cup to drink again.

“The Devil Princess was angry. And so you imprisoned me.”

Tsunami looked over the rim of her cup. “How so?”

“Well, I’m stuck here, aren’t I?” the teen barked.

Tsunami did not answer, but finished off her tea in one pull.

“…I seriously fell into a freaking tree??” The teen hissed through a grimace.

The goddess’ cup clinked onto its plate and she opened her eyes again, forcing Shayne back into the static.

[a/n: the song quoted henceforth in this chapter]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOcWdce_OFQ[/BBvideo]

Who’s in charge of this program here?

Break out of the trance

Again Shayne stood trapped in an endless scene of static. With a tea-cup.

“Seriously?” he raged. Looking down at his tea, the boy paused and soon found himself becoming more patient. He took a sip and thought aloud.

“I fell into a tree. Wow.”

Another sip.

“But… That doesn’t change the fact that I’m here. Now.”

I can’t get anywhere advancing to the rear

Break out of the trance

“But falling into that tree somehow led me here. To Tsunami. To this… place, I guess. Could a tree lead me out? Couldn’t it? But… what tree is there…” he trailed off, again drinking his tea.

He pondered, and, thinking back to his conversation with the goddess, one thing she said stuck out to him – “It is all the trees and all the time of Jurai,” Tsunami had explained to him.

“Hey, yeah! ‘What you saw is what happened,’ she said… so, this static can actually be everything that’s going on right now? Really?”

We all know you haven’t lost your mind

But if you close your eyes, it’s the same as being blind

Shayne finished off his tea and slipped the cup onto his pinky before mentally trekking ‘over to’ one edge of the static.

“Still wish I knew how that happens.”

He reached out his hand and arbitrarily poked at one static ‘flake’, steadying it. He ‘pushed’ at it, forwarding carefully through all of the years’ sights of the tree he had chosen until it stopped.

“So it comes to the end, which is… now? I guess.”

We’re under the stupor of the ritual we keep

He looked for a second before letting his train of thought wander. “So… what next? What I’m seeing is what’s happening now, okay. So I know what’s going on. Maybe if I could fit through it, it

would work the same way that got me stuck in here.”

He stopped, realizing he could be on to something. Staring at the view he had chosen, Shayne reached his other hand out, the teacup falling from it, and tried to toy around with the bit of static he was keeping stable.

“There’s got to be a way. I can do this.” he muttered to himself.

He soon found a sort of grip on the view for each hand, and he found it had some give to it. Forcing himself to be patient, he began to pull the image toward him, enlarging it as it approached, arcing toward him. The view became quite clear – looking out of a Jurian’s tree and through a shallow woods. Beyond lay a road, passing and turning away to the right into the outskirts of the capitol.

The routine is comforting

Don’t want to face the unknown

And so we give up our shot at the freedom we’re shown?

Shayne twisted his grip on the image-gate around him, turning his hands backwards. He slowly let the image shrink behind him, passing him fully out of the static place in Tsunami and into the tree. He looked back at the image as is shrank as much as he let it, until he felt it stop pulling, and Shayne noted how it remained as large as he had left it.

“Looks like getting back won’t be a problem,” He rolled his eyes. “IF I ever would want to go back.”

He was, truly and completely, in a Juraian’s tree. Yes, the boy was clueless as to whose is was, but he was there nonetheless.

Go and take what you’ve been taken for

You can’t miss it, there’s only one real door

“Okay, okay. I can see this tree’s… space. And outside. Cool.”

Break out of the trance

“Let’s go, Shaynester.”

Break out of the trance

He wasn’t even sure how, but when he tried to step out of the tree… he stepped out. He walked from the dim atmosphere of the tree’s interior into the sunlight filtering through the leave above, and he smiled.

Break out of the trance

Then he looked back at the tree. The very solid, unopen, un-enter-able safety of the tree he had just left.

Wait… what trance?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Replies
      For Washuu
      Participant
      none
      I’mma bumpin’ this with a draft of the next half a chapter, ’cause it’s just… flakey? I dunno, it just seems weak. Thoughts and criticism requested.

16: The weasel

Washuu is new to the idea of Fuku, especially her ability to merge with a Jurai tree ship.

“Okay, let me get this straight.”

Elliot was once again in The Lab talking to its resident genius scientist. He sat on the floor of that same section of the lab they had been when the topic of “Seina” had first arisen.

“I designed and built an “Ohki” type spaceship capable of merging with a Juraian core, and then…”

“Gave it away to Captain Seina Yamada of the Galaxy Police. Yes.”

“Really.” She deadpanned, tilting down on her hover-pillow.

“Yup.”

There was a moment of quiet as the scientist tried to justify in her head what ‘she’ had done. Well, according to a human teen slider, that is.

Washuu exhaled in consternation. “Maybe I just need to get out more.”

“Hah!” the boy snorted. “What makes you think you’d be any different out there around people after twenty thousand ye-“

“Time.” she interjected.

“Oh, yes. Sorry.” He had forgotten that they were potentially going to be in a bit of a time crunch. “Back to work.”

“Yes. What details can you tell me?”

“Oh, goodness.” Elliot bit his lip and reclined on the floor. “Nothing. Nothing much. You made it. It had a form like young Ryo-Ohki, but was named Fuku-Ohki. Um… the core unit was affected by the emotional support of the crew? And Tarant tried to clone her.”

That caught the scientist’s attention.

“Mm? What’s that?”

The boy looked at her. “Tarant Shank. He kidnapped her -the Fuku unit, that is- and unsuccessfully tried to clone her so as to make more ships.”

“The same Shank that captains the Didalos?”

The boy didn’t recognize the name, so Washuu pulled up an image of the ship on a consol screen.

“Oh…”

The redhead turned back to her notes. “‘Oh,’ you say? I thought I had noticed some correlations.”

“With what?”

“With your appearance.” She replied. “And, of course, the missing time-space that is now cleared up… almost…”

Washuu continued to type as she trailed off.

Now you see me, now you don’t

And look for me – now you won’t

Elliot was about to ask when the scientist cut him off. “Hang on. Just a second, there, cutie.”

He closed his mouth, suppressing a blush at the off-hand flirt.

Again a moment of typing passed before Washuu paused. When she stopped, a portal hole opened and the genius retrieved from within the void a small, cylindrical object. Elliot stared, not minding the scientist’s grin.

“Um… it’s a… aluminum toothpick case?”

Washuu suppressed a sweatdrop. “No, no. It is, in fact, a high-density data storage device.”

The boy’s eyes widened. “Cool! What’s it hold. Compared to, oh, my laptop?”

“Incomparable!” Washuu laughed.

“Oh”

Again the redhead gave off a short laugh before turning back to her computer.

I’ve secured my name in the book,

But if you’re in doubt, take a second look

“In a minute I’ll be severing the last ties to the broken continuum -from before Tokimi worked with the info you gave her- but this news of “Fuku” is interesting. Though…” She paused for a moment. “It’s also a little concerning. Ryo-ohki wasn’t made on a whim or for anyone in particular; I wouldn’t do that.

## except tenchi line, and groan reaction? ##

I’d rather be overly cautious about this “Fuku” data, so I’m making a copy of the old “Fuku-less” data, to keep safe in case something goes awry once the last ties to that continuum are severed. We can’t just have a creation of mine running around if I don’t know everything about it, right?”

“I guess.” Agreed the teen. “At that point, it’d be better if it hadn’t have been made.”

“But,” Elliot wondered, “what’s that mean to me?”

Holding off a giggle, Washuu held her hand over a pleasantly bright, red button.

“Nothing, I’d guess. You’re not one of the Goddesses, so I doubt you’ll even remember.”

She pushed the button.

The boy waited.

And… waited a bit more.

“Ah, sorry to ruin the gag, but I still remember everything, Washuu. I mean, I’m guessing that dramatic button-pushing was ‘severing the last tie’ or whatever it was you were doing?”

“Well, that’s too bad,” Washuu snarked. With a shrug, she tossed the data capsule over her shoulder, into a portal that closed a second later.

“Oh. For safe-keeping. I see.” remarked the boy.

Washuu stretched and hopped off her cushion. “Indeed! I couldn’t even predict what would happen if someone like Ryo-Ohki accidentally absorbed all that info.”

She strolled past the now-nervous teen boy and waved as she continued to the door.

“Dinnertime, Elliot. You’ve been cooped up down here long enough.”

The boy knew better than to argue. While he liked it better in the lab, he recognized the virtue in not giving the scientist any opportunity to mother or correct him – it preserved his dignity.

Note: The data capsule is a Chekov’s gun for the second third of the story.

Edit: Ch 16’s song is Matrix’s “Now You See Me, Now You Don’t”

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.