Future Ideas: OVA4 / TU2 / Reboot Thread

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Worship / Collection / Theory threads Future Ideas: OVA4 / TU2 / Reboot Thread

• This topic is empty.
    I myself really like the universe storyline and would prefer to see this than an OAV4 for many reasons (OAV3).

So if Tenchi Universe were continued (and not half heatedly like TiT) what would you like to see in it?

Well first of all there would have to be a direct sequel to episode 26 where all the girls return to Tenchi but apart from that there are no loose ends storyline wise that i can think of.

So what do you think should be in a continued Tenchi Universe?

Viewing 203 reply threads
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      In reply to the title of this thread rather than its intended purpose: My head would explode with joy!

Actually as we know Tenchi Universe did in fact continue after its run in the form of the two Tenchi Muyo in Love movies (just thought I’d clarify). This raises the issue of just what is left to do in that storyline. Personally I feel that the storyline/character developement reached its logical and fitting (and awesome!) conclusion. So in my mind any Universe “sequel” would have to take place between the end of the show and the beginning of TMiL2, preferably between the two films.

As for ideas for this new series, I would say that it should stay true to the format established by TU, in that the main story of the season wouldn’t begin until perhaps a third of the way in. Since all of the characters have been thouroughly introduced and familiarized there would need to be a greater focus on their pasts. I for one would love to see Ryoko’s space pirate past come back and play a big role. Also THERE MUST be more focus and info on Kiyone and Mihoshi’s past! we have seen the Jurai side of this universe, so a deeper look at something like the GP or some other new galactic entity would be good. *Passes mic*

p.s. Just putting it out there before someone else does. I don’t think TiT wasnt “halfhearted” like you say. As we’ve noted elsewhere here TiT was a different approach to Tenchi than previous efforts. They did’nt schluff off or anything, it was simply went for a more slapstick approach. Just sayin :)

Llwchwr
      To clarify chuck i didn’t mean that TiT was half hearted i do like it (haven’t watched it in a while) but the way it starts of is a sequel to Tenchi Universe, well in my mind anyway before they go and change the whole backstory.

Ryoko’s backstory would be good and maybe some clarification over the whole Ayeka and Ryoko backstory differences thing (the way they were always the exact opposite of what they other said).

To be honest i forgot about the movies so if it were continued it would have to be before the movies or at least the second.

Hopefully a mishohi backstory wont turn into what it is in OVA3 where there is her brother and a certain ‘incident’. Kiyone backstory would be fun, her before Mihoshi. Plenty of idead are there to choose from in the manga as well.

Thorn
      If we were to follow in the continuity of Universe alone, I’d like to see what became of Tenchi and Ryoko after that final scene, though it would probably be more fighting over Tenchi and teasing the audience. I don’t remember it being covered in the anime, so I’d also be interested in seeing a glimpse into how Kiyone and Mihoshi met and came to be partners. What became of Nagi after the final few episodes? How–if at all–has her dynamic with Ryoko changed after her last encounter with Tenchi & Co. I think we’d all like to see a new villian in Universe, and not one that’s over the top like the major villian of OVA 3.
      Ballsmagee01
      Well I’d start to cry tears of joy if they did make TU continue. And as stated before it would have to pick up right after the third movie. I’d also would like to see if Tenchi would fall for one of the girls also.
      Thorn
      *cough* Ryoko *cough*
      Anonymous
      Discussion of reboot remake thread. This topic is very interesting and multi-faceted and elicits different emotions and personality, don’t cross any personal lines.
      Thorn
      I think most of OVA 3 could probably go. As for cast, I don’t really know. I wouldn’t mind Brian Drummond on cast, although I’m not sure as which character.
      Lighthawk93
      The only problems to me for OVA 3 were the pile of new characters too soon, the sudden change in the art form, the unanswered question throught it, and of course Ryoko’s sudden voice change.
      Thorn
      Oh, God! I love Mona Marshall on South Park, but that voice just doesn’t work for Ryoko.
      Lighthawk93
      I’m not dissing on her, but her voice was not fit for Ryoko’s
      Thorn
      I agree, it’s like Tenchi and the gang took a trip to South Park and Washu did an experiment that permanently switched Ryoko’s voice with Kyle’s mom’s.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      This is a good thread! (like “ova4”, “ova3”, & “who could replace who” threads combined!) 😎

Everything already listed by you two are valid points that I agree with myself:

I’ll try not to rant, but my opinion(s) regarding ova3:

Didn’t like favoritism showed to new characters instead of focusing primarily on main cast,

Didn’t care too much for the animation style (alot of features seemed too exaggerated)

&, of course…replacing Petrea as Ryoko wtfusayplz that is unforgivable (and you’re right, it’s not Mona’s fault, it’s whoever cast her)

Thorn wrote:

I agree, it’s like Tenchi and the gang took a trip to South Park and Washu did an experiment that permanently switched Ryoko’s voice with Kyle’s mom’s.

exactly, Tenchi in Southpark…but not in a cool way like the totally kew “South Muyo” mash-up vids

:washu: hi becka!

jgzinv
      Y’all need to read the manga…. :Cheeks:
      Thorn
      Indeed, I probably do. I’m one of those people who watches the anime first, and then, if it’s a series I’m really into, I read the manga, especially if the series is still in progress. I’ve read some Tenchi, but I’m not current on it. blushingmadplz
      Llwchwr
      Well Lamango I’m not sure about that but I think Nagi would come back once she finds Ryoko has returned to Earth and probably try and capture her again, the only reason she refrained from at the end of universe was she didn’t see it as fair to capture her when she was already mortally wounded. Then that could lead to a continuation of the ryo-ohki ken-ohki romance subplot :ryoohki: .
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      Please keep this clean. ^_^

What would I want for a continuation of Tenchi Universe? Oh the possibilities… (inb4 Kiyoka: Evil Kiyone). I would def. like to see more Mihoshi/Kiyone spin-offish episodes, and more challenges meeting the Masaki household. What would be the fallout from the Kagato incident? Everyone ran away and went back to Okayama, but surely Ayeka will have to face her responsibilities eventually unless she wants another issue to happen. We’d need to find out why Mihoshi and Kiyone are back; Vacation time? Demoted back to resident officers? Ryoko seems set with Tenchi, which would cause the usual tension with Ayeka. Nagi would figure out she’s still alive, and hopefully become more of a series regular. Washu… crazy as ever after getting kicked out of the Science Academy. I could see TU:2 being very slice of life, but then there always needs to be conflict… maybe something happening to the GPHQ or Jurai, or a gang of pirates taking over and threatening to wake Earth up. I want adventure :D

~Mitts.

I definitely would love to see a Mihoshi/Kiyone spin off.Or would it be a You’re Under Arrest Tenchi style

the way Dual is something of a Eva Tenchi style?

I think it would also be nice if they did some of the story lines from the manga.For example the one about

the girl who could see Tsunami or Sasami and the wolf.Those would be interesting to see on screen.

But of course I would love to see more screen time between Tenchi and my faovrite Juraian Princess.

😎

Nobody but Yokoyama Chisa plays Sasami.Hands down no-one! 😆

I know you mean the dub,but still no-one played Sasami the way she did.

btw:I was at the Tenchi Wikipedia and noticed that Wendee Lee was credited with playing Kiyone,makes sense.(Again the dub.)

Thorn
      ^ Only in TiT as far as I know. I can’t recall of the top of my head who voiced her in Universe. I know any hypothetical reboot would most likely be done by Funimation; however, I don’t really feel that many of Funi’s regulars can truly capture the feel of the original Tenchi (as much as I love Funimation’s VAs). That said, here’s a list of VAs in general that I’d like to see in a Tenchi reboot. I may be way off here.

Beau Billingslea

Kyle Hebert

Sonny Strait

Lisa Ann Beley

Wendee Lee (Let’s face it; if she had to, she could play most of the female characters.)

Brian Drummond (Dang it! I like the guy)

And from there, I’m lost.

Lighthawk93
      i have not heard of those VA’s before, can you tell me which shows they voiced in please?
      Anonymous

Lighthawk93 wrote:

i have not heard of those VA’s before, can you tell me which shows they voiced in please?

Thorn wrote:

Beau Billingslea

Kyle Hebert

Sonny Strait

Lisa Ann Beley

Wendee Lee (Let’s face it; if she had to, she could play most of the female characters.)

Brian Drummond (Dang it! I like the guy)

Beau Billingslea – Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop), Narrator (Outlaw Star), Oji Tanaka (Black Heaven)

Kyle Herbert – Gohan & Narrator (DBZ), Kamina (Gurren Lagann)

Sonny Strait – Krillin (DBZ), Tom 1.0 (Toonami)

Lisa Ann Beley – Chi Chi (DBZ), Relena Peacecraft (Gundam Wing)

Wendee Lee – Everything, lol – Faye Valentine (Cowboy Bebop), Kiyone (Tenchi In Tokyo through Tenchi Forever), Haruhi (Haruhi Suzumiya), Yahiko Myojin (Rurouni Kenshin)

Brian Drummond – Vegeta (DBZ), Benny (Black Lagoon), Zechs Merquise (Gundam Wing), Allen (Escaflowne)

To name a few, lol

Thorn
      ^Lisa Ann Beley also played Eda in Black Lagoon :Tenchismile:
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Thorn wrote:

^ Only in TiT as far as I know. I can’t recall of the top of my head who voiced her in Universe.

That would have been Sherry Lynn, of course! 😉

Sherry also covered Kiyone in TMiL and the Pretty Sammy OVA’s, while Wendee also played Kiyone in the other 2 movies as well as Tokyo.

Debi Deriberry played Kiyone in the Mihoshi Special.

Thorn
      Ah, yes. Sherry! Thanks Noboyuki!

Also, I’d like to add Emilie Brown (Melfina from Outlaw Star) to my list. She’d make a great Sasami.

Lighthawk93
      I watched most of the shows that the voice actors did, and I never knew who there names were. Thank you
      Lighthawk93
      So what is the deal with OVA 4? Is it a rumor, a concept, or in the works? I have been hearing about latley and I am just curious.
      Thorn
      I don’t really know, myself, but since most everyone on the forum is pretty up to date on these matters when it comes to Tenchi and I keep seeing the word “if” floating around in regards to OVA 4, I’m gonna say rumor.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Indeed rumor might even be too strong of a word for it. Currently nothing that we know of is being done in regards to Tenchi Muyo! main cast activity. There are many of us, however (myself included) who hope and believe that this, the 20th anniversary year of Tenchi Muyo! will yield an annoucement regarding new material pertaining directly to the main cast Tenchi Muyo!.
      Thorn
      I know my fingers are crossed for a return. :Tenchismile:
      Kiyoka

Nobuyuki wrote:

Debi Deriberry played Kiyone in the Mihoshi Special.

No she didn’t. I’ve seen that error before, but its quite clearly Sherry Lynn voicing Kiyone in the MS. Tell me, did you find that info here? http://tmau.fateback.com/chara/tenchi/kiyone.html

No idea why the guy has Debi as voicing her.

I don’t really wish for a reboot. Except OAV 3. I think we can all agree too much happened and made people think of bad fanfictions when watching it 😆

Re write it without noike in, and have Petrea do Ryoko again. All will be well then :Tenchismile:

Kiyoka
      Well I’d rather have a prequel! I’ve said countless times I’d love to see a MihoKiyo series spin off. It’d be nice too seeing how the others fared before they came to Earth. In Ryoko’s case we’d likely see her and Nagi again. Washu would be in the science academy, and Ayeka/Sasami would be.. on Jurai? Not sure how that could be humouress/action like the other characters pasts. fyeahplz

^ An idea for this could be whilst they are on their way to Jurai they all sit around a table and tell each other their pasts? It’d make more sense I reckon rather than starting with scenes from their past.

Of course I wouldn’t say no to a sequel. Its just.. how could they do it right when we had such a nice closing to the series? What would be worth revisiting it all for?

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Kiyoka wrote:

An idea for this could be whilst they are on their way to Jurai they all sit around a table and tell each other their pasts? It’d make more sense I reckon rather than starting with scenes from their past.

Canterbury Tales….. IN SPACE! I love it :BigSmile:

Lighthawk93
      One thing I noticed with OVA 3 was that they made so many refrences to GXP, but only a few characters were shown, and some just had their names mentioned. If they did do a reboot, they could at least give those characters a cameo or something.
      I haven’t seen either OVA 3 or GXP but will take your word on it.
      Of course there is always crossover possibilites with say Dual! 😎

Yeah,I want to see what would happen if Tenchi and Aeka went on a double date with Kazuki and

MS. 😎

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Good observation Lighthawk, imo it really felt like ova3 was primarily used as a conveyor/transition into GXP (thus introducing all these new characters that are prevalent in GXP) while at the same time giving the core cast of ova we were all familiar with the short end of the stick; it felt like “yeah yeah, Chousin, Tenchi = god, oooh! wasn’t that neat? Okay, done…moving on, check out my new series GXP!!!”

but of course, just my opinion

Lighthawk93
      You would have thought if they really wanted people to know about the upcoming series, they would at least give them a cameo for a little bit before they had to go.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      It’s even weirder because GXP actually came out a few years BEFORE OVA 3 was made! Seeing GXP before OVA 3 does help a little with understanding who all these new characters are, but unfortunately it had relatively little exposure and so most fans end up watching it all backasswards and getting (more) confused.
      Lighthawk93
      I see what you mean. I found that odd too that gxp came out before gxp. When i watched the all of gxp, i saw why it never came on in america, and to be honest, it’s funny as hell.
      WisperG

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

But yeah can’t wait for them to get around to re-releasing the Movies & the original OVA’s as my copy of Tenchi In Love no longer works properly and I never owned a copy of the last volume of the OVA series.

Looks like *insert Winter holiday of choice here* will be coming a little early this year. Both the Movies and OVAs were just solicited as BD/DVD combo pack with a date of December 4th.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/o31CJ8ffjln2=iAunw/browse/item/96387/4/0/0

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/o31CJ8ffjln2=iAunw/browse/item/96386/4/0/0

Kiyoka wrote:

Well I’d rather have a prequel! I’ve said countless times I’d love to see a MihoKiyo series spin off. It’d be nice too seeing how the others fared before they came to Earth. In Ryoko’s case we’d likely see her and Nagi again. Washu would be in the science academy, and Ayeka/Sasami would be.. on Jurai? Not sure how that could be humouress/action like the other characters pasts. fyeahplz

^ An idea for this could be whilst they are on their way to Jurai they all sit around a table and tell each other their pasts? It’d make more sense I reckon rather than starting with scenes from their past.

Of course I wouldn’t say no to a sequel. Its just.. how could they do it right when we had such a nice closing to the series? What would be worth revisiting it all for?

I agree. While I consider Universe superior to the OAV in most aspects, I never liked that Ryoko’s back story was relatively unknown. I’d like to see it all emphasized, even if it’s manga form.

If we’re going with prequels,how about expanding more on Washu’s background,especially the time she was

married and had a child?Another idea,if they didn’t do it already,might be to introduce Washu’s child as a grownup.That might be interesting.

Anonymous
      Looking at the question, I thought of few interesting ideas.

Tenchi Universe 2 is a retelling of OVA2-OVA3

Now at first this may not make a whole lot of sense, but remember, Universe was an alternate retelling of the first OVA, so if we kept with that nature, we could make some really awesome things happen, but we would have to retell/rework some events in OVA2 onward.

Well after some time I feel like I should put this thing out here, this is a brief overview of how I would continue Tenchi Universe (It is ambiguous enough that it can go right after the first series or after TMiL1)

*This outline took me all of 7 minutes to come up, if you’d like to read a much more in-depth version of what I have so far, go here *

ARC 1: Seiran and Z arc aka “Space Pirate Homecoming”

– Gang back on earth, Tenchi grabbed without warning

– Kiyone and Ryoko know it’s Seiran, Space Pirate Queen

– Find out Ryoko’s past with Seiran and partly Kiyone’s

– Go to Confront Seiran, find Zed (Z) had control of her

– Find out he knows the location to the Goddess of Darkness and her “treasure and wealth”, Tenchi is the key

Arc 2: Goddess of Darkness and End

– Learn the story behind the Goddess of Darkness (Tokimi)

– Meetup with Nagi at a Space Pirate “Hangout” to get leads on Zed, Chaos ensues of course

– Finding Zed and the space “El Dorado”, only to find out he was waiting the whole time

– Tenchi unlocks the power of Tokimi, only for her to destroy Zed

– With the combined power of the now “awakened” Tenchi-ken, Seiran, Nagi AND thew crew Yagami, the “Universe” is saved”

Ballsmagee01
      Wow that realy be a cool continuation of universe!
      bkev
      I think someone mentioned earlier how TiT felt like it could have been a sequel to Universe continuity things aside. Honestly, I would love to see a retooled version of it that works in the Universe universe. I was going to write a fanfiction like that myself, but things happen. Meaning I’m lazy.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Very cool stuff Dagon! I LOVE bringing more back story to Kiyone’s character, and using the Space Pirate material from the Hasegawa novels is an excellent touch! I also approve of the idea of having it be a loose retelling of OVA 2, just as Universe itself was a retelling of OVA 1. If I were to continue Universe, I would also have it focus on the space pirate side of the universe, as we’ve already seen the Jurai side of things. I’d also like to see more of the GP/Galaxy Academy aspects, as we really only saw tantalizing peeks at these organizations in the show and the two Universe movies.
      Aura34
      Participant
      Okay so like many of us out their the third OVA of Tenchi muyo did not satisfy us fans at all. So i wanted to ask if Kajishima is working on a new tenchi OVA (OVA4) what type of story would you like to see in it.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Welcome to the forum Aura34! Feel free to introduce yourself over at our “introductions thread” if you want!

As for the question, I seem to recall us having a thread about this very topic before the switch to 3.0 that had lots of good discussion, but it seems to have been lost in the transition. As for me, I’d like to see a return to a more character driven story. I felt that OVA3 focused so much on the massively intricate plot elements and the characters were “just along for the ride.” I’d like to see a return to the balance of plot development and character development that we saw in the first two OVAs. Also, I’d like to see a good villain again. I couldn’t stand Dr. Clay, and I thought Z had great potential but missed the mark.

Anonymous
      Indeed there was a topic on this at some point but I’d really like to see the Jurai arc tied up.

I know that Jurai plays a big role in Tenchi but, there’s a whole universe out there, why are we only really going between 2 planets? I’d like to see the Throne of Jurai finally come into play (as was hinted at in the end of OVA2) But then I’d like for their to be a fresh adventure on the horizon. New planets, new races of people to know, heck I’d even like to see the OVA tackle time travel, but definitely something that distances itself from the Chousin/Jurai centric plot that we’ve already seen.

I agree it would be nice to see what really messed Mihoshi up.On the other hand what I would really like to see would be more of an Earth based OVA that would follow some of the stories in the manga and lean more towards comedy.
      Kiyoka
      For starters I want to SEE a story. Not the mish mash of a bad fanfic that was OAV3.
      Lighthawk93
      Who tenchi chooses to marry
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      No, that’s already been decided. :P
      Anonymous

Kiyoka wrote:

For starters I want to SEE a story.

This is the most important thing right here, whether or not it happened outside of the OVA, we should at least SEE it happen.

343 Studios, the developers who now are behind the Halo franchise, at the DICE 2013 Conference said something very important. They said that the Halo universe is vast and rich in story. But no matter where you come in from, whether you are a super fan or some who just casually plays the games, you will get a complete experience each time in each medium. They referenced the novels behind Halo 4 and said these came out a few months prior to the game launching, and while they do contain a few more backstory tidbits then the game, both of them compliment each other and that you don’t need to have seen or read one to get or understand the other, and that “that was the key to great rich storytelling”

And that is what Tenchi really needs right now.

Lighthawk93

Nobuyuki wrote:

Fine, who has his first kid

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

We already have a pretty good idea of that, too. 😉

Anonymous

Nobuyuki wrote:

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:

We already have a pretty good idea of that, too. 😉

Um? lol

http://www.oni-hime.com/doujinshi/nontan/images/nontan_01.jpg" />

glashrine
      id like to see less random characters popping into the household…a few are ok but too many is a trainwreck…then again it would be kind of funny to see a mob of curious japanese folk rally outside of the masaki residence demanding answers.so maybe after everything is exposed everyone would have no choice but to relocate.

I do want to see some kind of fresh slate and classic character developement like the good ol days…thats asking for a lot out of such vast franchise…but you know we want more always!

susano
      Orginally, OVA 3 was focus on learning about the Chousin Sisters. Kajishima had made some mistakes in the Kuramitsu Family subplot. He had forgotten to confirm the identity of the Galaxy Army General who was talking about the Marshall allowing his grandson to burrow the Chobimaru. The G.A. general is oddly Mihoshi’s fahter Nakita Kuramitsu. Nakita would convince Mihoshi’s great-aunt Mikami to change the nature of his son Misao’s punishment to serving with him on a secret mission. This secret mission was focus on exposing a rogue group of Galaxy Army Generals.

If there is an OVA4, I will like to see Mihoshi’s parents and her grandparents coming to Earth for a visit. The main reasons for the visit by Mihoshi’s parents and her grandparents are to examine Tenchi to see if he is worthly to become Mihoshi’s fiance, and to see Washu. Before the visit, Tenchi has been already accepted by the Kuramitsu Family to be Mihoshi’s fiance. Misaki and Funaho have express an interest in visiting the Earth, too.

About the girl whom Tenchi will choose to marry first, Kajishima may give us a few hints who will become Tenchi’s first wife. Oddly, I do believe that Time travel should be part of the OVA 4 series.

bth_images45 bth_kiyone5

I think it be nice to have an OVA that focused on Sasami finally becoming Tsuname and how that

results in any change of relationships with the rest of the cast.

Lighthawk93
      Oh, that’s a good one!

Dagon123 wrote:

Kiyoka wrote:

For starters I want to SEE a story.

This is the most important thing right here, whether or not it happened outside of the OVA, we should at least SEE it happen.

343 Studios, the developers who now are behind the Halo franchise, at the DICE 2013 Conference said something very important. They said that the Halo universe is vast and rich in story. But no matter where you come in from, whether you are a super fan or some who just casually plays the games, you will get a complete experience each time in each medium. They referenced the novels behind Halo 4 and said these came out a few months prior to the game launching, and while they do contain a few more backstory tidbits then the game, both of them compliment each other and that you don’t need to have seen or read one to get or understand the other, and that “that was the key to great rich storytelling”

And that is what Tenchi really needs right now.

That’s the problem Tenchi has at this point. It has PLENTY of things in which it could go off of for future storytelling, but it doesn’t for fear of pissing off the fans of the franchise or newcomers who’re wondering WTFOMGBBQ when they just jump in at that point. Sure, the first part of OAV 3 did people a nice bit of service by recapping everything that’s already happened, but there were WAAAY too many characters given just a few seconds of screen time and no other explanation for their appearance other than “Hey! I’m here for my cameo!”

Hell, if it wanted to it could build a series off of the non-canon manga and MAKE it canon for heaven’s sake. But would it be derivative at that point? Maybe, maybe not. I guess it’d all depend on whether or not some of the plot lines work and no original stories are made for TV.

This is the general problem with any franchise as big as Tenchi.You look at franchises like Dr.Who and Star Trek that have been going on for decades and there are way too many characters and plotlines to keep

track of.This is also why in DC ended up doing CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS,to streamline everything(obviously didn’t take long for that idea to crumple).

Perhaps another idea for OVA 4 would be to streamline everything then and get back to basics.Have something like CRISIS ON INFINITE JURAIS sort of thing where all the various plotlines and extra-characters are dealt with once and for all and there’s only one main Tenchi timeline.Of course we must do so in such a way that Dual is inviolated. 😆

mitsuki lover wrote:

This is the general problem with any franchise as big as Tenchi.You look at franchises like Dr.Who and Star Trek that have been going on for decades and there are way too many characters and plotlines to keep

track of.This is also why in DC ended up doing CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS,to streamline everything(obviously didn’t take long for that idea to crumple).

Perhaps another idea for OVA 4 would be to streamline everything then and get back to basics.Have something like CRISIS ON INFINITE JURAIS sort of thing where all the various plotlines and extra-characters are dealt with once and for all and there’s only one main Tenchi timeline.Of course we must do so in such a way that Dual is inviolated. 😆

But then the continuity streams would cross and El Hazard would have to be involved somehow as well.

Almael
      In a way, GPX is already the continuation. But if you mean Tenchi focused then it must have something to do with Kenshi. So I guess it will be close to the “boy takes care of baby” genre.
      Anonymous

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

But then the continuity streams would cross and El Hazard would have to be involved somehow as well.

It would be great if they animated some of the aicLove stuff where all the aic properties crossed, we probably wouldn’t see it over here (due to the huge licensing associated with most of those shows together, however, Geneon Universal still owns most of the home video rights so maybe a package deal? who knows) but it would be nice to see El-Hazard and a few others again

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

Hell, if it wanted to it could build a series off of the non-canon manga and MAKE it canon for heaven’s sake. But would it be derivative at that point? Maybe, maybe not. I guess it’d all depend on whether or not some of the plot lines work and no original stories are made for TV.

We actually talked about this a bit in the Mangacast, they could just cut out the intro which recapped the OVA into the Manga and just go forward and make movies or short one off arc OVA’s based on certain arcs of the Manga, it wouldn’t interfere with Kajishima’s Canon and it would be nice fresh new stuff coming out consistently.

Almael wrote:

In a way, GPX is already the continuation. But if you mean Tenchi focused then it must have something to do with Kenshi. So I guess it will be close to the “boy takes care of baby” genre.

We already had an episode like that, and it helped explain why it is Washu’s trying to get Tenchi’s pants off so often… well, as often as Ryoko (please refer to ‘Hello Baby!’ for this). What needs to happen is more of a connection needs to be made between the series other than the occasional meet-up episode (similar to what happened with ‘xxxHolic’ and ‘Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle’, minus the different animation studios).

Lighthawk93
      Tenchi really needs some one on one time with the girls
      rosadojr
      What we need is a series like focusing on Tenchi’s and his role in the harem he’s got. I would be nice to know more of the rumours of Tenko and the son of tenchi.

BTW we need to see a development on Ryo-oki :ryoohki: from what I hear she will have an adult form and a daughter.

What we SHOULD get is an omake series similar to what Black Lagoon and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had- humorous looks at everyday life in the Masaki household or GP daily routine… or even a day with a nefarious space pirate or princess!!!
      rosadojr

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

What we SHOULD get is an omake series similar to what Black Lagoon and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had- humorous looks at everyday life in the Masaki household or GP daily routine… or even a day with a nefarious space pirate or princess!!!

I hope so!! :D

rosadojr wrote:

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

I hope so!! :D

Or we could see the release of some of the Tenchi games stateside on the Blu-Ray sets made specifically for PS3/PS4. And that’s not going to happen.

Lighthawk93
      We knowwho the mother is to his daughter, but what about his son? I heard either Washu or Ryoko because of the spiky hair. Also who the baby daddy is for Ryo-Ohki’s baby.
      WisperG
      Since when does Ryo-Ohki have a kid? Thats the first I’ve heard of that.
      rosadojr

WisperG wrote:

Since when does Ryo-Ohki have a kid? Thats the first I’ve heard of that.

http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/Images/Ryoko%20&%20Daughter.jpg" />

When the picture of Tenko was out on the the cover of the doujinshi Tenchi Sokuhou says that is Ryoko several decades later with her daughter (fans named her Tenko) and the one with her is not Ryo-ohki but rather her child.

Anonymous

rosadojr wrote:

Ryo-ohki but rather her child.

See I always thought this, but I don’t think it’s a literal “child”

In the show, they refer to Ryo-Ohki in her egg after the bridge incident “as the child of Ryo-Ohki” even though it’s just Ryo-Ohki phoenix-ing back to life, so I don’t think it’s Ryo-Ohki’s literal “child”,

because Ryo-Ohki isn’t the same type of life form as the rest of the gang, she isn’t even close to human, despite her form (Remember: Washu’s Ovum + Masu = Ryoko, Mineral life (hence why Ryo-ohki has crystals) + Masu = Ryo-Ohki)

So unless Washu added in some reproductive organs that nobody knows about, that’s the same Ryo-Ohki.

rosadojr

Dagon123 wrote:

rosadojr wrote:

Ryo-ohki but rather her child.

because Ryo-Ohki isn’t the same type of life form as the rest of the gang, she isn’t even close to human, despite her form (Remember: Washu’s Ovum + Masu = Ryoko, Mineral life (hence why Ryo-ohki has crystals) + Masu = Ryo-Ohki)

Well you got a point there but I think theres more to Ryo-ohki and Fuku than we think, because we see her developing and looking more as a humanoid…

this is fuku in the future in a doujinshi

http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/Images/ozy_gxp4_adult_fuku_340x480.png" />

and Ryo-ohki

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5216/omake09.jpg" />

Anonymous

rosadojr wrote:

Well you got a point there but I think theres more to Ryo-ohki and Fuku than we think, because we see her developing and looking more as a humanoid…

Keep in mind that just because something has humanoid features, that is is human or is even remotely genetically human, things can also grow older and larger and not be human, lol.

Now like I said, there’s always a good chance that Kajishima scribbled in something in his Doujinshi to make it work (because that’s how he’s always fixed a problem without explaining why)

But look at the animal kingdom for an example. You know what a spider is right? It’s an arachnid. You know what a Camel Spider is right? The ones found in the Middle East? Those aren’t actually spiders at all, they are actually insects and not arachnids, and are most closely related to ants.

Ryo-Ohki looks the way she does because of the Masu NOT because she’s human.

rosadojr
      Good point dragon… It would be really messed up to see a cabbit having a child with a humanoid!! :WUTH: hehe Though I can’t wait to see what there gonna do with ova 4 and war on geminar.
      Lighthawk93
      Washu could have made Ryo-Ohki a boyfriend
      rosadojr

Lighthawk93 wrote:

Washu could have made Ryo-Ohki a boyfriend

hahaha that would be interesting… having a fleet of Ryo-Ohkis :ryoohki: that would make a lot of fuzz

Lighthawk93
      has it been explained how many babies ryo-ohki could produce?
      rosadojr

Lighthawk93 wrote:

has it been explained how many babies ryo-ohki could produce?

as far a I know it hasn’t… but who knows what kajishima will come up with!!

spokethewind

susano wrote:

If there is an OVA4, I will like to see Mihoshi’s parents and her grandparents coming to Earth for a visit. The main reasons for the visit by Mihoshi’s parents and her grandparents are to examine Tenchi to see if he is worthly to become Mihoshi’s fiance, and to see Washu.

i would also like to see the kuramitsu family come to earth for a visit but i don’t think they’d have a keen interest in washu. even if that were the case, i honestly don’t see washu being entirely comfortable with them, given the history that went down. it would be really cool to see her reaction and interactions with them tho.

jgzinv
      Probably be more reclusive and hide in her lab, until Mitoto started cleaning in there and had a chat.
      rosadojr

JGZinv wrote:

Probably be more reclusive and hide in her lab, until Mitoto started cleaning in there and had a chat.

That would be an interesting plot

Or have it end like NEWHART ended and have the whole thing turn out to be a dream that Tenchi’s having.
      susano
      Another ideal of mine for OVA 4 will focus of a plot involving Airai. Airai is the planet where Airi-san was from. Airai is the central world of the most popular religion in the entire Galactic Union. Before Ryoko’s attack on Jurai, Airai and Jurai had an estranged relationship between them. Airai had thought that the Jurians were keeping Tsunami to themselves.

It has been seven hundred years since Ryoko had attack Jurai. With the help of the Seniwan Empire, Jurai and Airai were able to settle their disputes. Jurai and Airai have become friendly rivals in the Galactic Union.

The events for OVA 4 begin after the last episode of GXP. Airi and her daughter Minaho begin to hear their biological clocks ringing. Both decide to take maternity leave. For Minaho’s husband, her decision to have more children was expected. For Katsuhito, Airi’s decision to have more children is a shock. Katsuhito is not able to convince to change her mind.

Because of the events in GXP, Airai becomes more interested in what’s happening on the planet Earth as well as the Galaxy Academy. Airi’s parents decide to ask permission to visit the Earth. They want to see their great-grandson Tenchi and for other reasons like diplomatic reasons. Airi is a little upset over her parents’ decision to visit the Earth. She had long reconciled with her parents after the birth of her daughter Minaho.

Mihoshi’s parents, her grandparents, and her Great-Aunt Mikami Kuramitsu plan to make a visit to the Earth. Their main reasons are focus on examining Tenchi to see if he is worthly to be a candidate to become Mihoshi’s family, and for some other reasons. Before Mihoshi’s parents, grand-parents, and great-aunt Mikami visit to the Earth. The Kuramitsu Family Council had already accepted Tenchi to become Mihoshi’s fiance.

For Tenchi, he is starting to have dreams in which he finds one of the girls in bed with him. Tenchi starts to figure out that the dreams are a sign of his feelings for most of the girls are slowly starting to change. Strangely in each of the dreams where Sasami is sleeping with Tenchi, Tenchi continues to see Sasami as a little sister.

Tenchi is spending the life of a typical ronin. He plans to go to Tokyo University. One of Tenchi’s reasons for going to Tokyo University is that it is one of the Earth Universites which have a branch of the Galaxy Academy. Tenchi knows that he will be able to get into Tokyo University very easliy. Still he is studying hard to get a higher score on the entrance exams.

For the main villian, it is not going to be very easy to figure how the main villian be like. There is a chance that the main villian will appear as a result of Airi’s and the Kuramitsu family’s visits to the Earth.

bth_Kain2-1

“I want to be the main villian.”

rosadojr
      Wow susano where you got all of this??
      Lighthawk93

rosadojr wrote:

Wow susano where you got all of this??

If susano made all that up, I would say that would be a damn fine story.

WisperG
      Thats some good stuff. You should expand on it and turn that into a full fanfiction. I’d read it.
      rosadojr

WisperG wrote:

Thats some good stuff. You should expand on it and turn that into a full fanfiction. I’d read it.

yes indeed 🙂

susano
      The details in my reply are one of the baackgrounds of a fanfiction series which I am writing. My fanfiction series is focus on the Next Generation. Oddly, the same details do form the base of a series of OVA 4 fanfiction stories. I need to print a copy of my last reply for future reference.

:Tenchismile:

I somehow see the next OAV being a lead-in for ‘Geminar’, just as OAV 3 was a lead-in for the already-made ‘GXP’.
      Lighthawk93
      That could be a distinct possibility
      rosadojr

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

I somehow see the next OAV being a lead-in for ‘Geminar’, just as OAV 3 was a lead-in for the already-made ‘GXP’.

yes that seems logical and convenient :Tenchismile:

So it would be centered around Kenchi before he’s taken to Geminar?Or would it be centered around

the events on Geminar before he arrives?

rosadojr

mitsuki lover wrote:

So it would be centered around Kenchi before he’s taken to Geminar?Or would it be centered around

the events on Geminar before he arrives?

Well it could be based on kenchis training

Lighthawk93
      Hopefully it will give us a insight on tenchi’s love life. Who knows he may already have a kid at this point
      susano
      Before Kenshi was sent to Geminar, he was already an uncle. According to the timeline in Astronerdboy’s blog, Tenchi’s first child or first two children would be born during the year 2003. To me, the timeline had a few problems, esp. with the GXP timeline. It was wriiten by a fan. It is still a relable source of infromation.

I decided tio add the link in this reply.

http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/Articles/Timeline.html

rosadojr

susano wrote:

Before Kenshi was sent to Geminar, he was already an uncle. According to the timeline in Astronerdboy’s blog, Tenchi’s first child or first two children would be born during the year 2003. To me, the timeline had a few problems, esp. with the GXP timeline. It was wriiten by a fan. It is still a relable source of infromation.

I decided tio add the link in this reply.

http://www.astronerdboy.com/tenchi/Articles/Timeline.html

It could be but I think that timeline might be a little off, but who knows is up to kajishima to decide. I hope he keeps it up.

Do we know who the mother(s)of Tenchi’s first two children are?

That could be something that could also be revealed in OVA 4.

rosadojr

mitsuki lover wrote:

Do we know who the mother(s)of Tenchi’s first two children are?

That could be something that could also be revealed in OVA 4.

We dont know yet, but the boy some say looks like ryoko and others say he looks like washu. I got a feeling one is from washu and a girl is from Ryoko…

Lighthawk93
      if Tenchi did have kids before WOG you would think Kenshi would have said something about them while off on another planet. The daughter is definatley from ryoko. The son is still being disputed as to whther ryoko or washu is the mother.
      rosadojr

Lighthawk93 wrote:

if Tenchi did have kids before WOG you would think Kenshi would have said something about them while off on another planet. The daughter is definatley from ryoko. The son is still being disputed as to whther ryoko or washu is the mother.

Im with you all the way thats why I think the timeline might be off we should have heard something on wog

Lighthawk93
      I agree. The only thing we do know is that Ryoko, Aeyeka, Sasami, Mihoshi, and Washu are the only girls living with Tenchi as Kenshi mentioned in the show. I’m not sure about Noike though. Of course Ryo-Ohki is around to, but she’s not having kids with Tenchi.( At least I hope not :WUTH: )
      rosadojr

Lighthawk93 wrote:

I agree. The only thing we do know is that Ryoko, Aeyeka, Sasami, Mihoshi, and Washu are the only girls living with Tenchi as Kenshi mentioned in the show. I’m not sure about Noike though. Of course Ryo-Ohki is around to, but she’s not having kids with Tenchi.( At least I hope not :WUTH: )

Well with the hentai canon I wouldnt be surprised about a kid with Noike almostem

Lighthawk93
      Why did you have to bring that up bth_Ayeka2

That’s worse than Ryo-Ohki having a child of Tenchi’s

rosadojr
      lol man you crack me up I didnt take that to account!! 😆
      Lighthawk93
      I’m glad I was able to make you laugh :Tenchismile:
      That’s Kajishima’s latest title, Paradise War, which was released a couple weeks ago.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      And so a thread has to be started for this one topic. Succession. Who could succeed the throne in the OVA if Tenchi was not to ascend. With Kajishima being the writer he is and putting himself in the corner with not much room, it makes the question a lot harder to answer. We do have some main candidates.

Ayeka

Sasami

Yosho

However we also have Seina and some miscellaneous family to take the throne.

What would be the best choice? Who would have the most influence in terms of pros, and what cons would be set depending on each one in that place?

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      Sasami, because what the hell makes you think that Tenchi’s got ANYTHING under control? Same thing with Ayeka- all she’d do is send every army/fleet out to get Ryoko’s head on a royal platter, all at the expense of the galaxy’s taxes. You’d have revolt in no time thanks to her shenanigans.

Oh, and Yosho? He’s made his opinion CLEAR AS FINELY-BLOWN GLASS on the matter- a big ol’ NOPE.

Nil Admirari
      none
      Ayeka is the only one of the three listed there that I see actually taking the role. Even though it’s in a different continuity, we see her willing to give up Tenchi’s love for the greater good of things and goes through a lot of maturation by the end of TMiL2. I don’t see any reason why OVA Ayeka would be any less capable of developing as such. At this point in the game she’s already let Ryoko half off the chopping block for the crimes she committed 700 years ago and has severed her emotional connection with Yosho so I don’t think either of those issues would cause any further irrational actions by her.

Tenchi is the only thing keeping her on earth so if he picks another one of the girls, either she can stay there as a third wheel or get her ass back to mars so to speak. She’s very proud of her heritage and loves her family. Take Tenchi out of her future and i’m sure she’d eventually take her seat on the throne. As we also discussed, if she did end up with Tenchi or was particularly tenacious she could have the option of ruling by proxy – having a collective of trusted people (though really, putting trust in anything Juraian is a huge mistake) make decisions for her while she lived abroad. I believe the term we used was Maternity Leave earlier in the night. This also leaves room for dramatic development as she is unable to control what actually happens back home like this.

If big sister refuses the throne, I don’t see Sasami agreeing to take her place for some reason.

On the other hand, I still think that Seiryo could be an option for gnabbing the throne. He’s very obviously rather high up on the food chain back at the ol’ wooden shitsville and even without Ayeka’s hand in marriage may be able to get that spot on the throne. Guess it would be less of a succession since he’s unrelated to the Masaki bloodline and more of a usurp, but it could give an out in the event that an OVA5 would be desired.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

Guess it would be less of a succession since he’s unrelated to the Masaki bloodline

It doesn’t have to be a Masaki, since the throne is decided by political meritocracy among the 4 royal houses. gendo1

Quote:

How are rulers chosen on Jurai?

Via election from the four royal houses. Before Azusa was elected emperor, the previous emperor was from House Amaki. When he died, the heads of the four royal houses come together to choose a new emperor. Various factors (including normal politics) go into whom is elected, but having a 1st-gen tree as a partner all but assures your election since only five (not counting the 1st-gen seed that bonded with Seina) have chosen to bond with Juraians.

AstroNerdBoy
      As I understand it, Seina is first in line after Tenchi. Kajishima-sensei has stated that Sasami would not take the position. I’ve always presumed that part of this decision is based on the fact that Sasami is Tsunami.
      susano
      Katsuhito or Yosho is his father Azusa’s choose of successor. So, Katsuhito is first in line to the throne. Tenchi is second in line to the throne while Seina is third. Of course, the four royal houses of Jurai must agreed to who will become the Emperor.

If all of the four houses learn of the real truth about Tenchi, all houses may agreed to elect Tenchi to become Emperor. Unforuntatley like his grandfather Katsuhito, Tench is not interested in Jurain Politics at all. If Tenchi is going to Jurai sometime in the future, he will likely be Earth’s ambassador to Jurai. As Earth’s Ambassador, Tenchi will have a good reason to move to Jurai with his family.

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      If Seina is the after Tenchi in terms of succession. Does that mean that Ayeka is in that line also? I mean granted it seems the Juraians prefer male leaders, but it seems that the princess being Yosho’s sister would give her a significant standing when the Juraians decide who would be on the throne.
      "For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

JGZinv wrote:

Tis a good reason why so many of us think the series needs a reboot….

I’d like to know who said this, because most people I speak with found this fascinating and exciting, even if it was just a glimpse of a possible future.

I’ll own up to liking the idea of a reboot, but for the record I also find this latest material as fascinating and exciting as most people. It’s exciting in that it’s the first significant main cast material Kajishima (or anybody else for that matter) has put out in almost a decade, and that it offers a glimpse further into the future than we have ever seen before. Plus, nobody can deny those babies are adorable. The best thing about this material though is that it’s probably the first and best way so far for Kajishima to write himself out of the box he’s been in since OVA 3. Now that we know for a fact that Tenchi is/will be a god, and that eventually the whole family will move to Jurai and rule the universe, it pretty much limits the storytelling potential to the slice of life happenings of the infinitely powerful Masaki household. Interesting, sure, but hardly the stuff of OVA 1, 2, and heck even OVA 3 excitement. I could be completely wrong of course, and Kajishima might have a dozen plans for future galactic life and death conflicts for the main cast, but in all of his many doujins he hasn’t once suggested anything of the sort. War on Geminar/ISM was proof he can still tell a reasonably exciting story outside the bounds of the Masaki house, and I hope that by showing Tenchi’s kids he is laying the groundwork for more such stories. We already know at least one of his kids runs away from the house to make his way in the universe, so I see no reason why we can’t expect others to do the same. It’s that potential to get out of the overpowered Masaki house and back into compelling storytelling that I find so exciting about this new doujin, because without it Tenchi’s story is as finished as it was ten years ago, and that would be very sad.

Tl;dr – I’m excited by the potential this material brings, but if Kajishima continues to focus nearly all of his effort on the already pre-determined plot of the main cast Tenchi will continue to be an exclusively conflict free, slice of life show instead of the grand romantic space opera it once was.

jgzinv
      darn it I was just about to post these… lol, good finds.

Looks like we now have an age progression for ryo-ohki and sasami… as she really isn’t much different from the omake in the last pic on the one page.

Looks like we’ll have a bunch to rip too.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

highgear56 wrote:

I guess I’m not as hardcore of a Tenchi fan here because although I love the manga, anime, characters and whatnot, this continuation of an incestual polygamy just doesn’t strike a chord with me. I’d rather see him get one of the girls.

This doesn’t make you less of a hardcore fan than anyone else highgear, and I happen to agree wholeheartedly with your stance. There never has and there never will be a list of required likes and dislikes in order to be a “true” Tenchi fan. Since the manga series ended, Kajishima’s Tenchi has been the only game in town, hence the big reactions whenever he puts out new material. The excitement over this particular doujin is because it’s the first time in almost a decade he’s given fans something (relatively) big to chew on. Trust me, I think Tenchi as a franchise and as a story could be in a much better place than this, but compared to ten years of next to nothing, this is at least a glimmer of hope for new and exciting adventures to come.

As for my reaction to this, aside from my extensive comments in the posts above lol, I’m growing more and more convinced that we are getting closer to new animated Tenchi material! It’s obvious from the increase in main cast material in the last year that either Kajishima finally has something planned, or somebody is riding his ass to gin up excitement in the fanbase in anticipation of something. My bet is that there’s some sort of deal in which we’ll get an original anime, probably Paradise War, paired with an animated continuation of main cast Tenchi!

I’m definitely excited to see what’s in this, and I will be willing to commit big time to the translation effort once we get our copy in a few weeks! Great job JG and Crazed, and I look forward to working with you on the big one!

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Oh sure, she’s in line, but with a 2nd-Gen tree, she’d be down below Seina.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

It’s obvious from the increase in main cast material in the last year that either Kajishima finally has something planned, or somebody is riding his ass to gin up excitement in the fanbase in anticipation of something.

Or he’ll just retire. 😈

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I’m just now taking serious note of the title: “If“…if this ends up being one huge leg pull…strangely enough, I don’t mind in the slightest. It’s been fun to be THIS excited about something Tenchi-related again, and it’s been equally amusing to see similar reactions from Tenchi faithful, old and new, casual and “hardcore.”

Reboot, continuation, more “what if’s?” or outright merciless fan teasing (well, okay, there’s only so much I’ll be able to take after a point) I’m up for it all. Pretty much anything that gets Tenchi fandom buzzing again, I’m all for!

I do enjoy these Geminar pics as well, and I particularly like how, it would seem, Sasami and Ryo-Ohki are forming a bond with Kenshi moreso than his older brother and his “older sisters.” Well, maybe “moreso” is poor phrasing; they’re a bit younger (Ryo-Ohki relatively, being very childlike in behavior) so they’re more “on his level” so to speak, whereas the age gap between Kenshi and Tenchi would undoubtedly make their relationship more along the lines of mentor/parental figure.

AstroNerdBoy

susano wrote:

Katsuhito or Yosho is his father Azusa’s choose of successor. So, Katsuhito is first in line to the throne. Tenchi is second in line to the throne while Seina is third. Of course, the four royal houses of Jurai must agreed to who will become the Emperor.

If all of the four houses learn of the real truth about Tenchi, all houses may agreed to elect Tenchi to become Emperor. Unforuntatley like his grandfather Katsuhito, Tench is not interested in Jurain Politics at all. If Tenchi is going to Jurai sometime in the future, he will likely be Earth’s ambassador to Jurai. As Earth’s Ambassador, Tenchi will have a good reason to move to Jurai with his family.

Technically yes, Yosho is first in line. I apologize for the confusion. Yosho would not accept the throne, which was his whole reason for planning to send Tenchi to Jurai in his stead with Ryoko in tow. As such, I tend to move passed Yosho and move to Tenchi, then Seina.

Still, if Tenchi’s power of Light Hawk Wings become known to all the Houses (it is known to House Masaki and House Kamiki for sure), then in my mind, he’d move to the top of the list because he doesn’t need a Royal tree. So that’s what I did, which was incorrect. Thanks for the correction. ^_^

I do disagree with you about Tenchi possibly becoming Earth’s ambassador to Jurai. Earth is classified as a colony of Jurai. Further, there’s nothing to indicate that Jurai’s nor Galaxy Police’s presence is known by any nation on Earth. Yosho does have some connection with the Japanese emperor, but how much the emperor knows, I could not say. Earth would have to have a single world government and be declared independent from Jurai before they could have an ambassador.

As to the line of succession, I suspect that Kajishima-sensei has a line in mind, including exactly where Aeka is in that line. I suspect she’d be pretty high though.

AstroNerdBoy
      Regarding the canon franchise, when asked about the potential of a 4th OVA series, Kajishima-sensei has stated that if he did such a story, it would be like a post-war tale, implying that there would only be stories like what is hinted at in these doujinshi.

As to a reboot, I can’t see that happening. The Japanese seem very loathe to do reboots, though it is not unheard of (obviously). (I’m not considering Tenchi Universe or Tenchi in Tokyo to be “reboots” but spinoff reimages.)

I would like to see the novels “Jurai”, “Yosho”, and “Washu” in anime form.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As to a reboot, I can’t see that happening. The Japanese seem very loathe to do reboots, though it is not unheard of (obviously). (I’m not considering Tenchi Universe or Tenchi in Tokyo to be “reboots” but spinoff reimages.)

I would like to see the novels “Jurai”, “Yosho”, and “Washu” in anime form.

I agree. Though, like I said, it’s whatever for me at this point, a reboot, as in “remake” entirely, I personally would not favor either (I was actually thinking more along the “spinoff” route, separate canon, etc., thank you for clarifying), and certainly not any tampering with the originals in any fashion (like Ghost in the Shell 2.0; don’t need no Tenchi Muyo 2.0 thank you very much). Let the original retain its integrity (with the revamped art style, heavily utilizing flashbacks as seen in OVA3 comes too close for comfort to infringing on this in my opinion).

Anonymous

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As to a reboot, I can’t see that happening. The Japanese seem very loathe to do reboots

Uh…

Yamato 2199

Evangelion Rebuilds

Berserk

Sailor Moon

I don’t think you can speak for the japanese when every single time anything is released in the form of a reboot, it sells better than most contemporary series, especially those first 2, which dethrone anything as soon as they are released, lol

Now that being said, I think the premise of a doujin dedicated to completely one off or “what if” situations has lots of potential, it means we could explore avenues we haven’t seen for awhile, or maybe even characters that haven’t been around kiyonesmile1

AstroNerdBoy

Dagon123 wrote:

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As to a reboot, I can’t see that happening. The Japanese seem very loathe to do reboots

Uh…

You removed the rest of my sentence, which clearly stated, “…though it is not unheard of (obviously).” ^_^;;;

Oh, and Evangelion Rebuilds may end up being a sequel, not a reboot. We won’t know until the bloody thing ends. ^_~

Quote:

Now that being said, I think the premise of a doujin dedicated to completely one off or “what if” situations has lots of potential, it means we could explore avenues we haven’t seen for awhile, or maybe even characters that haven’t been around kiyonesmile1

I was just reminded that years ago, Kajishima-sensei put out the same kind of caution about his doujinshi as he has in -If-. Basically, the caution is to give himself wiggle room to change his mind, thus the doujinshi are canon until that happens.

Look at “Tenko”. When the character of Ryoko’s daughter was introduced years ago in the doujinshi Tenchi Sokuhou she had a different character design than what Kajishima-sensei has introduced in -If-. Take a look.

http://tenchi.astronerdboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ryoko-Daughter.jpg" />

“Tenko’s” character design today is MUCH better than it was back in the day, but that’s why Kajishima-sensei has always put out a cautionary note about his works not being official (or whatever he actually says). I bet if Kajishima-sensei actually told the story from Tenchi Sokuhou, “Tenko” would look as she looks today.

Anonymous

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

You removed the rest of my sentence, which clearly stated, “…though it is not unheard of (obviously).” ^_^;;;

Oh, and Evangelion Rebuilds may end up being a sequel, not a reboot. We won’t know until the bloody thing ends. ^_~

I removed the rest of the sentence because you tried to legitimize your own personal bias against a reboot by saying that the Japanese people don’t like reboots, but covered your butt with that line because you know that’s bull, just like I said, they wouldn’t be paying tens of millions of yen to see Reboots if they didn’t like them.

You’re not going to get castigated here if you have a bias or want something to happen a certain way, but don’t make things up to try and make your point look stronger. mmhmm1

AstroNerdBoy
      Well, we are getting way off topic. That being said, there are several series that people would LOVE to see reboots of, but which will NEVER happen because the Japanaese don’t do a lot of reboots. Negima! and Love Hina are two that I’m aware of where there’s not going to be any reboots despite them both being highly popular (the reboots would allow them to accurately cover the manga rather than what they ultimately did). Ditto Fruits Basket or Kara Kano, though in fairness, the manga-ka for both series refused to allow reboots, sequels, or anything else. There are other titles where folks have wanted reboots to “get it right,” but have been denied, or at best (as in the case of Negima!), some OVA’s/movies were tossed their way.

I have NO bias against reboots. I loved the FMA reboot except for the fact that they rushed through and cut some elements from the beginning, apparently out of fear of boring an audience who’d seen the first FMA.

As I see it, when the Japanese, who are very set in their ways about things, make a decision about a reboot, they mostly go with “no” because they don’t believe that the cost required to do a reboot is justified in what they think they’ll get in returns. Instead, they’ll keep milking money from old stuff, which in the case of TM!R, was an impressive Blu-ray release, and an ultra-expensive LE one at that.

jgzinv
      Well whether it happens or not, far as the state of Tenchi goes outside of Japan… it would benefit from a reboot or universe esque spin off.

I’m more inclined with this newest material to be more forgiving, but I still firmly believe it is time for KM to complete his emulation of George Lucas and bow out gracefully.

Speaking of the doujins, it might be that he’s aware of the backlash from OVA 3, not abroad of course… so he’s doing the testing of the waters with IF. Novelists tend to do the same with short stories on blogs before going to a novel format.

julia
      Man Tenchi’s daughters are so cute!!

Tbh, I kinda came face to face with the fact it ends with a harem again, and maybe I am not as accepting as I thought. While I was excited to see those ADORABLE CHILDREN (and I gotta admit pregnant Ryoko and pregnant Ayeka are p cute!) it kind of made me not so happy at the same time to just see it reinforced that Tenchi picks them all.

JGZinv wrote:

Well whether it happens or not, far as the state of Tenchi goes outside of Japan… it would benefit from a reboot or universe esque spin off.

It would benefit better with new content released in the West. At this point, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki is both not only a closed novel with the bookmark near the end of what we have, but also a novel that isn’t complete. It’s that novel I’ve been dying to finish but can’t right now, so I’ve been reading others (metaphorically of course.)

Let me ask you though; if they did reboot TM!R, what is to say they wouldn’t mix around the characters designs and personalities? They might just turn Ryoko into something you hate, and change Ayeka into your favorite character. Always be aware of this when you go asking for such drastic measures.

jgzinv
      I know that going in and was prepared for it many years ago. As even Julia said…. this harem ending has put off a large chunk of the fans and evoked wtf’s from those coming from toonami.

It needs to be refreshed to this decade.

Tsushomei

JGZinv wrote:

Calling it now, if we got a reboot you would all be complaining about it being “moe-fied”.

http://i.imgur.com/yslBbOo.jpg" />

“T-Tenchi-kun, d-daisuki yo…”

I’m curious though, if there actually was a reboot/remake/whatever-you-wanna-call-it and it ended with let’s say, Ayeka, as the single choice for Tenchi, would you all be okay with that or is it only okay if it goes exactly as you want it to go? I am genuinely curious about this.

Anyway, those books are looking SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!

Can’t wait to see them in glorious not-super-crappy-low-res photos!

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

It would benefit better with new content released in the West. At this point, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki is both not only a closed novel with the bookmark near the end of what we have, but also a novel that isn’t complete. It’s that novel I’ve been dying to finish but can’t right now, so I’ve been reading others (metaphorically of course.)

I think everyone agrees with you about this. I mean, the number one thing which has kept so many people excited about Tenchi is probably the fact that we still haven’t got the end of the story after all these years. I don’t think that wanting to finally get that ending and liking the idea of a reboot are mutually exclusive things. What makes me think a reboot might be a good idea at some point is the way in which we’re getting, or more often than not, NOT getting that ending. By revealing that most of the cast are essentially gods, and by setting the “they all go to Jurai and rule the universe forever” ending in stone I fear that Kajishima has severely hampered his ability to make the final journey to that conclusion compelling or meaningful in any significant way. As I said a few posts back I could be totally wrong about this, but I think the fact that we’ve seen almost nothing in the way of conflict or growth in the main cast from the doujins is very telling. This latest doujin is certainly a big improvement, but it still hasn’t done anything to address the larger problem facing the main cast story, which boils down to a simple question: Where can they go from here? With the ultimate ending already known, and with the household so powerful that nothing can touch them, the conclusion that we’re all yearning for is likely to be nothing more than a “Then Tenchi did such and such. Then his second child was born. Then Ryo-Ohki did something cute, etc., etc.” type of ending, and for me, personally, that just doesn’t cut the mustard. If there’s no way for Kajishima to escape this, and again I don’t know for sure that there isn’t, then I see no reason why starting from scratch in order to get it right would be a bad idea.

All this being said, neither I nor anyone else is advocating totally getting rid of the current continuity. There’s plenty of really exciting things outside of the landlocked main cast story left to explore. Like ANB mentioned above, the Shin Novels would make excellent “prequel” animations, and as I talked about in a previous post there’s great potential in the story of Tenchi’s extended family like Kenshi and now these new children.

tl;dr – I think we’re all on the same page with wanting the conclusion to the story, the difference simply lies in how we’d like to get there.

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

Let me ask you though; if they did reboot TM!R, what is to say they wouldn’t mix around the characters designs and personalities? They might just turn Ryoko into something you hate, and change Ayeka into your favorite character. Always be aware of this when you go asking for such drastic measures.

You’re absolutely right, and this is something that should definitely be weighed when considering a reboot. It’s always a crap shoot in the remake game, and you never know what you’re going to come up with. Sometimes the changes they make ruin a beloved story, but other times they end up being strokes of genius that breathe new life into moribund concepts. I reference the 00’s remake of Battlestar Galactica and all the other classic franchises which have seen renewals after being remade. Remaking a legend is never an easy task, and it would be bound to turn off some older fans, but I think the infusion of fresh ideas would do Tenchi a world of good, and I’d be willing to accept the risk of them screwing it up if it meant “righting the ship.”

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Tsushomei wrote:

Calling it now, if we got a reboot you would all be complaining about it being “moe-fied”.

If they indeed went with a moe style I would certainly be upset, however I think the trend of “moe-fying” everything is rapidly falling by the wayside. There are, of course, plenty of moe shows still being made, and as long as there is a market for them there always will be. That being said, for shows that aren’t aimed at that particular audience, which I’m almost certain a Tenchi remake wouldn’t be, then the moe art style is hardly used any more.

Tsushomei wrote:

I’m curious though, if there actually was a reboot/remake/whatever-you-wanna-call-it and it ended with let’s say, Ayeka, as the single choice for Tenchi, would you all be okay with that or is it only okay if it goes exactly as you want it to go? I am genuinely curious about this.

If it were written in a compelling and believable way I wouldn’t have a problem with it. The reason many people here choose to ship one particular pairing (mostly Ryoko/Tenchi, but there are plenty others here) is because they believe that their character, as portrayed in the show, has the qualities that objectively make them the best fit for Tenchi, not some Waifu obsession or “rabid fanboyism” as has been alleged in certain other corners of the internet. If the writers were to make a convincing case for Ayeka, or any other character for that matter, there’d probably be some disappointment, but I’d have a much easier time accepting it than the harem ending, which has always seemed like a cop out to me.

jgzinv
      Assuming there’s not a 3rd and 4th choice as well… ie. Tenchi picks no one, and Tenchi picks someone else entirely. There’s also Tenchi dies…

All valid options.

Thinking about it on the drive home, realistically, Dualfans already got served a platter of “did not want” with Geminar. Granted it’s not particularly bad per say… the fanservice is well beyond a lot of tastes… but it’s Kajishima’s work, not ours. We had to deal with it. Though why KM keeps dropping MitsukiS in every conceivable media is beyond even me at this point.

AstroNerdBoy
      Ultimately, the person for the canon TM!R line to decide on a reboot or not is Kajishima-sensei, and I just can’t see him wanting to do one. He’s wanting to do Paradise War, but was denied until the powers that be see how well his novel line does.

Sadly, Kajishima-sensei has never even expressed a desire to have his three Shin Tenchi Muyo novels put into anime form. He’s been reluctant to do an OVA 4 because the stories would be as they are glimpsed at in -If- (as I understand what he’s said).

AIC would be the one to allow new Tenchi titles. I never knew why they didn’t adapt all of Hasegawa-sensei’s very popular line of spinoff novels that branch out from OVA 1. They just did the one movie. The last spinoff AIC did was the Sasami: Mahou Shoujo Club anime series.

My ultimate reboot fantasy is to have massive funds to do a proper, live-action adaptation of the TM!R story, incorporating all of the elements into the story, thus making things flow better, especially into the OVA 3 part of the story. However, that too will never happen. ^_^;;;

julia

Tsushomei wrote:

JGZinv wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/yslBbOo.jpg" />

“T-Tenchi-kun, d-daisuki yo…”

Anyway, those books are looking SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!

Can’t wait to see them in glorious not-super-crappy-low-res photos!

Just my reactions to thinking about the two Qs presented xD

If you gave me the exact same story but with “moe” animation, I don’t know. It’s hard for me to take horror stuff seriously when it’s drawn too cutesy, but on the other hand I didn’t think any less of Madoka Magica for the animation. So I don’t know how I would feel xD

I’ll be honest, if they did something like that and made him end up with anyone other than Ryoko, I wouldn’t be happy. They would have to make it pretty convincing in that series that he was more suitable with another girl (if they made it that way, it’d be easier to watch). It would be really surprising though if they made a reboot and he chose a girl have it not be Ryoko. It’s not just out of fangirl or fanboy-ness towards this character(I think what Chuck was saying), but I feel there is a reason that it seems most fans prefer Ryoko(at least ones I’ve encountered). I don’t know that for a fact, though… I get the vibe that most people here prefer her, and I have an old Anime Insider mag where they were asking about favorite girl, and I know she got the majority vote, I forget the exact percentage but I am pretty sure she got 51%.

I really do sometimes think about this, why do people prefer her? It really has to be how she’s presented in the show. I must not be the only one who thinks this way, but the way Tenchi acts with the other girls or their interactions and relationships, they just don’t feel as strong as his with Ryoko’s. and I don’t know about the packaging in Japan, but doesn’t it seem that on covers of releases and stuff, if it’s him and one girl as opposed to a group shot, it’s her with Tenchi. Maybe it’s simply the fact she’s the first one we meet, but she’s also nearly always the first girl on the cover if it’s not a group shot.

Huh I wonder if I went a bit off topic xD but I was just trying to say, I’d be really surprised if it weren’t her. and having this be my favorite show and my personal absolute OTP, I would not be happy with any other ending honestly. Like JG was saying, if it were written well enough and convincing… well, personally I guess I could tolerate it. but again, I question that too because it’s the way I feel about Tenchi in Tokyo, we already have these characters and relationships established by previous series… and completely changing things? Maybe I am just a crazy Ryoko fangirl xD but I really do think there is something special in that pairing.

(oh man, I am excited for scans, too)

Also, I was going through that derpy noike meme page, and one of them was something like “like harem anime, don’t like harem ending”… still kind of torn, because once I thought about how the loving family would be torn apart I was beginning to be ok with it, but it can certainly be written that if he picks one girl, they all find happiness in the future. I also just love shojo and love triangles, so as a young girl, that drew me in to Tenchi, not necessarily the harem-y-ness? lol So if there were a remake/reboot, again… I don’t think I would like a harem ending ;A; but then…. I also think about the characters, and in that doujinshi they all look so happy and loving and ahhhh ;A;

More Tenchi wouldn’t be a bad idea if done in the right way.I don’t mind having a rebuild or remake,especially if they decided to base it on the manga stories.It would definitely stress the comedy more,which I think Tenchi could use a bit more of at times.

As far as the whole harem thing goes:personally I think it really all comes down to Aeka vs. Ryoko and keep the other girls out. kiyonesmile1

It’s not Tenchi unless those two are fighting over him.

Actually what I would love to see would be a series that would include the characters from Dual as well.

Now that would be fun! mmhmm1

Aeka has to be at least third or fourth or close that would be my guess.And wouldn’t Sasami take herself out because of being merged with Tsuname?
      AstroNerdBoy

mitsuki lover wrote:

Aeka has to be at least third or fourth or close that would be my guess.And wouldn’t Sasami take herself out because of being merged with Tsuname?

Yes, Sasami takes herself out of the running, otherwise she’d be first in line as the partner of Tsunami-ki.

julia wrote:

“like harem anime, don’t like harem ending”

The more I read this line the more I realize it was probably a criticism. And the more I like itdespite the fact I think it’s a shite macro.

So after much deliberation in my war room, I’ve come to a conclusion on the following points on a reboot;

-A one choice ending (heavily pro-Ryoko from the sound of it)

-Less fan service/sexy antics

-More focus on humor, possibly fourth wall breaking

-Inclusion of lesser known/non-OVA characters

In a sense, this is to be a continuation of the Universe storyline, something that has even less of a chance of a fourth OVA storyline at being created. Not so much a reboot/remake (which in a way Universe was of OVA continuity only dumbed down slightly) but a sequel of the TV series. Have I missed something here or have I covered the basics?

chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

So after much deliberation in my war room

Did it go a little something like THIS? 😆

Lol, anyway, I don’t know where you got those points in the previous posts, but they certainly are NOT what I had in mind when I was talking about a reboot, and are definitely not all things that that I would be keen on having in a reboot.

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

-A one choice ending (heavily pro-Ryoko from the sound of it)

-Less fan service/sexy antics

-More focus on humor, possibly fourth wall breaking

-Inclusion of lesser known/non-OVA characters

The first point is not something that is all-important for me, although I do very much prefer a one choice ending, and I do lean on the side of it being Ryoko. As I said in a previous post, I would be fine with having the choice be one of the other girls if it were well written, and JG even listed at least three other possible endings that don’t involve a single choice which I would be perfectly satisfied with if done correctly. My only real demand in this regard is that whatever ending it would end up having be compelling, well written, and not only make sense plot-wise, but character-wise and quality-wise as well, which the harem ending simply has never been for me.

I don’t agree with the second point at all. Sexiness has always been one of Tenchi Muyo!’s greatest features, from Tenchi running headlong into Ryoko’s bazoombas in episode 1 to the legendary Nurse Washu scene. For the most part I’m actually ok with how the sex appeal/fanservice is in the OVA currently. It’s not overbearing, and it certainly is much tamer than a lot of other shows these days. My only wish would be that Kajishima, or whoever would helm this hypothetical remake, look back to the subtler, more creative (and in my opinion sexier) fanservice of the first two OVAs, and not just rely on big breasted women and bath scenes.

I’m not for the third point either. Again, I think this is something the modern OVA continuity has decently well together, but I think there is plenty of room to improve. Instead of wanting more humor, what I really want is for Tenchi to get back to its roots and be a grand space fantasy/adventure story again. For me, Tenchi was never better than in OVA 1, which certainly had great comedic moments, but really dazzled when it came to telling an exciting story about aliens, deities, and a regular boy’s coming to terms with his destiny. Tenchi Universe took this concept and tweaked it for the TV medium (to great effect in my opinion), but for a hypothetical straight remake of OVA, I would absolutely prefer the classic, purer high fantasy over a more comedic show. As for fourth wall breaking, I assume you’re referring to the manga series, which I think is fantastic, but I think that is something better suited to its own medium and wouldn’t transfer well to an anime.

As for the last point, this one I agree a bit more with, but with qualifications. It would undoubtedly tickle me greatly to have Kiyone Makibi and a few other characters from other continuities, and I’m positive the writers would have no trouble at all working them in in a compelling and sensible way. However, it’s not a deal breaker for me if they choose to stick with established OVA characters only in this hypothetical remake. In fact, I would be perfectly happy if they included all of the much maligned new additions of OVA 3, all I would ask is that this time they be properly introduced instead of just appearing, and that most importantly they give me a reason to care about them and get invested in them this time. All I’m really trying to say is that outside of the main cast, they can add or remove whatever characters they want as long as those characters we get are well written, dynamic, and growing.

tl;dr – I think you’ve seriously misread at least my conception of a hypothetical remake. I don’t want to change the DNA of the OVA continuity or turn it into something else entirely, I just want it to get back to what made it so damn good in the first place. The little details are nothing to me as long as the writing and direction tracks with that goal.

julia

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

julia wrote:

“like harem anime, don’t like harem ending”

The more I read this line the more I realize it was probably a criticism. And the more I like itdespite the fact I think it’s a shite macro.

That’s how I took it, I thought it was making fun of us who enjoy it but would prefer he picks a girl :P

Nil Admirari
      none
      I don’t think I’d want an OVA remake to follow in Universe’s footsteps. Universe was a great re-imagining of the story built for a TV audience and crafted itself more in line with a sitcom than a serial drama. It allowed us a look at some situations with the characters we know and love that otherwise would never have happened in the OVA. I love Universe dearly as it was my first exposure to the series and was the US debut of my favorite character in the entire hud that is Tenchi. But OVA 1 and even most of 2 hold a charm that none of the other Tenchi media has been able to capture since.

I would agree to having a single choice ending instead of going with every girl in the group, and I absolutely feel like Ryoko is the one who fits that bill moreso than any character as far as OVA 1 and 2 are concerned. If a compelling argument is made in the remake for Ayeka, Mihoshi or hell even Washu, I’d be all for it. It would just have to be handled as well as the slow but masterful way they handled the development between Tenchi and Ryoko that we have now. As it is I already have a Tenchi and Ryoko ending in Universe with how the movies went, so I’m pretty satisfied with that.

Fanservice and Sexy Antics I always felt the OVAs handled well, so I wouldn’t mind seeing it return. Universe was a bit dry in that regard except for the Swimsuit episode. If anything I’d like to see more serious, sensual sides of the characters explored more. I’m talking about TMiL2 stuff, breaking down the genuine desires of the women and Tenchi himself. Even Okuda’s manga explores this somewhat in the TMiL issue where Tenchi-bot embraces Ryoko and sucks on Ayeka’s finger wound in a passionate moment. It’s more personal and touching, but would still leave some room for goofball stuff like, well…

http://i.minus.com/ibsaZ0sJ1UvoIl.gif" />

I think fourth wall breaks are best suited for the manga, I wouldn’t want it in the mainline Tenchi OVAs or a remake of them. I agree with Chuck in that it’s more suited for print than animation for this series. Humor is ever prevalent in character interactions and situations that occur even as the drama moves along. OVA 1 and 2 maintain a perfect balance of this. I wouldn’t want to see it go towards Universe’s more loosey-goosey attitude, that’s a distinct characteristic of Universe because of its TV origins.

I would like to see Kiyone Makibi, the Jurian Knights, Nagi and others get added to the mix. Other than Kiyone, many of the other non-OVA characters never showed up again outside of 2 or 3 Universe episodes and it’s a damn shame since they were all mostly well written and interesting characters. Would it be needed if a remake/reboot was to happen? Absolutely not. But it would be nice to see them included. The characters introduced in OVA3 could return as well, just so long as they were handled a bit better. Many prefer Mihoshi’s OVA1 self to every other iteration of her character because of dumbing her down. Who is to say that the opposite can’t happen here, and that characters whom some of us feel were not the best can’t become well written and dynamic characters?

I think OVA 1 and most of 2 are where a remake should aim for and wouldn’t require pulling much in the way of its attitude from Universe, NNFT/ANTM or Tenchi in Tokyo. Well, except maybe dropping Clay and giving us more compelling villains to work against like Yakage.

I think most of the points stated are valid but I would again point out that it wouldn’t be Tenchi if there wasn’t the entire Ryoko vs. Aeka thing going on.Agree drop most of the harem as for me it has always been about Ryoko vs. Aeka to see who gets Tenchi’s affection.The way I would love to see it end though would be in an all out dual with the winner getting Tenchi.That be epic fun! mmhmm1

Yes..of course more Kiyone well we’re at it as well.That make a lot of us very… kiyonesmile1

Of course we don’t want Tenchi turning into FLCL but breaking the fourth wall wasn’t primarily what I had in mind to begin with,although it would be fun every once in awhile.

In the end this is all fun to speculate and as fans we can only hope that something like a Tenchi Reboot or

Remake could come our way before some of us get buried six feet under.

susano

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

susano wrote:

Technically yes, Yosho is first in line. I apologize for the confusion. Yosho would not accept the throne, which was his whole reason for planning to send Tenchi to Jurai in his stead with Ryoko in tow. As such, I tend to move passed Yosho and move to Tenchi, then Seina.

Still, if Tenchi’s power of Light Hawk Wings become known to all the Houses (it is known to House Masaki and House Kamiki for sure), then in my mind, he’d move to the top of the list because he doesn’t need a Royal tree. So that’s what I did, which was incorrect. Thanks for the correction. ^_^

I do disagree with you about Tenchi possibly becoming Earth’s ambassador to Jurai. Earth is classified as a colony of Jurai. Further, there’s nothing to indicate that Jurai’s nor Galaxy Police’s presence is known by any nation on Earth. Yosho does have some connection with the Japanese emperor, but how much the emperor knows, I could not say. Earth would have to have a single world government and be declared independent from Jurai before they could have an ambassador.

As to the line of succession, I suspect that Kajishima-sensei has a line in mind, including exactly where Aeka is in that line. I suspect she’d be pretty high though.

I will have to agreed with you about Tenchi not becoming the Ambassador of Earth. Tenchi’s reason for not wanting to become Earth’s ambassador is the fact that he is not interested in Jurain politics. Still sometime after contact, Tenchi and most of his family will move to Jurai.

When it comes to Earth’s ambassabor, Kiriko Masaki Jurai will be the best choice. She knows what does go on Jurai esp. with the Jurain Royal Court. Kriko will convince Jurai that Earth will need to become a semi-autonomous colony of Jurai after contact. At the present moment, only a few people on Earth are aware of the fact that it is a Jurain colony.

Tenchismile

That last is an interesting point since I don’t know anyone outside of the Masaki household that would be aware of this fact…that Earth is actually a colony of an alien planet that no-one else has ever heard about.
      CrazyCabbit
      I like to see a device that Washu creates that changes the character’s personality. Tenchismile
      ookamilord
      Participant
      i would like to see washu do more than just a simple mind swap. i dont know if she has done this one yet. make a pill that alters the characters gender for a while. that would be funny
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

CrazyCabbit wrote:

I like to see a device that Washu creates that changes the character’s personality. Tenchismile

Like Ryoko being prim and proper and Ayeka slamming down sake and belching? That’d be pretty funny, at least for an episode.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/wwwwhhhhoooo/Tenchiforum%20Banners/ryokofancy_zpsea77e987.jpg" />

ookamilord
      Participant
      that would be funny who. or what about this one tenchi is in washu’s body and washu is in tenchi’s body.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

tenchi is in washu’s body

^ Tenchi would never leave the lab.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

ookamilord wrote:

that would be funny who. or what about this one tenchi is in washu’s body and washu is in tenchi’s body.

Nobuyuki wrote:

^ Tenchi would never leave the lab.

Sounds about right 😆

ookamilord
      Participant
      then that leaves nobu and yosho switching bodies and i bet that there will be a lot of old people jokes.
      I really think they ought to do the manga story where Mihoshi has an accident and her personality switches to a more…shall we say…competent one.That be like doing a body swap story without the body swap.

Either that or one like the Gilligan’s Island episode where Maryann thinks she’s Ginger but instead have it where

Mihsohi thinks she’s actually Washu! 😆

hello_Tenko
      Participant
      I actually think that one of the only stories left is Mihoshi’s, which I believe can make for a great OAV 4. (Speculation mode) if the trauma concerning a fiance is true then we can have another personality in Mihoshi, a vengeful one.

The reason can stem from a lost fiance, which made her an anomaly herself. So the target would be Tokimi. I think it would be a great premise as the fourth Oav can have a ‘Usual suspects’ scenario as ‘Dark Mihoshi’ sets into motion certain events to take revenge on Tokimi where no one, even Washu can deduce because of Mihoshi’s outer personality, and her power to stump Washu’s genius (like entering her lab). A perfect ruse.

I started speculating this when I read from the Tenchi wiki that Kakishima for some reason cancelled the novel Mihoshi. So I believe he maybe saving the info as a plot device for Oav4.

Also Tokimi at some point might join the Harem. What better way than for Tenchi to save her and for that to be a trigger for her affection for him? At the same time, Tenchi can serve as a way for ‘dark Mihoshi’ to move on and get her much needed emotional time with Tenchi that even Noike beat her to.

The fiance could be some new character or could have been Z before he became an anomaly. Mihoshi might just have been got caught in the crossfire trying to get to him and became an anomaly herself without the knowledge of the Choushin.

I say Z is a possible fiance candidate as I read that his mother was into an engineer (Noboyuki) during his academy days, having there descendants possibly be similar ages.

‘Dark Mihoshi may finally stop her vengeance when she realizes that Z has been reborn and will be happy, at the same time considering outer Mihoshi’s genuine feelings for Tenchi as Zeros feelings did. Eventually have her personalities merge – a common theme (Ryoko/Zero, Sasami/Tsunami, Noike/female Kagato etc etc)

End speculation

Man, I miss speculating the shiz out of Tenchi. Tenchi -if- brought it back, especially seeing Mihoshi’s hair down since her hairband served as some sort of mental device.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      First off, welcome to the forum hello_Tenko! :D We’re always thrilled to have passionate people join up and share their thoughts! Feel free to look around and make yourself at home here!

Now that that’s out of the way, WOW. You’ve got some really neat thoughts going on right here! You’re definitely not alone in speculating over Mihoshi’s backstory in the OVA. She really is one of the great enigmas left. I really like your theories regarding Mihoshi’s possible relations to Z and Tokimi. We already know that she has a familial relationship with one Chousin goddess already (Washu), and it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility in Kajishima’s continuity to think there might be more to it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone speculate about Z’s past in quite the way you have, but I could see it potentially working out the way you describe it. Goodness knows Z is mystery himself, and quite a few of us here have come up with some interesting theories about him as well! Good on you!

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your theories with us, and feel free to join in the fun wherever you find something interesting on the forum! We’re glad you found us, and I hope to see you around the boards!

susano
      Here is another ideal for body swapping. Ayeka finding herself in Ryoko’s body while Ryoko is in Ayeka’s. Of course, body swapping makes a prefect plot for an Universe story. The Universe’s Washu is likely the type to develop a body swapping device.

For OVA 4, the events are likely take place after the end of GXP. Tenchi is spending a year as a ronin. He wants to go to Okayama Prefecture University. Tenchi is able to figure out what he hopes to do. He will tell his father about not wanting two persons to be going to college with him.

An ideal for OVA 4’s top villain can be KAIN. KAIN will be the perfect villain for Tenchi and the gang. The KAIN for OVA 4 is different from the Universe’s one.

hello_Tenko
      Participant
      Thanks chucklocker. I used to lurk the forums up until Oav3. Before then, I used to enjoy the speculations most of all. I had a feeling Kajishima wasn’t done.
      To be honest ever since the infamous final episode of Classic Trek:Turnabout Intruder I’ve been a bit gunshy

of the whole bodyswap idea.

The Dark Mihoshi idea OTOH sounds interesting though I been thinking rather of a Dark Pretty Sasami one.

susano
      For my OVA 4 version, OVA 4 is a sequel to the Ryo-Ohki series. In the first episode, Tenchi has become a ronin. His decsion to become a ronin is based on his need to learn how to control his first Kami powers. As the first episode continues, Tenchi has a vist by two representatives from the Kuramits family. The two representative are Mihoshi’s father Nakita and her kid sister Sayuka Kuramitsu. Nakita and Sayuka inform Tenchi about the Kuramitsu Family Council’s decision to accept him as Mihoshi’s fiance. Tenchi is not thrill to learn the news. For he hasn’t proposed to Mihoshi.

Nakita and Sayuka do inform Tenchi that some members of Mihoshi’s family are going to visit him. Nakita, Sayuka, Mitoto, Misao and his wife, and Mihoshi’s paternal and maternal grandaprents are the members who are visiting Tenchi. Nakita teases Sayuka over Tenchi being her fiance. Tenchi joins Nakita.

Nakita’s and Sayuka’s visit is part of Episode One. The first episode does includes a description of OVA 4’s main antagonist. OVA 4’s main antagonist has a link with the Airai. His or her interest in Tenchi is assocaited with his mission to exposed the members of a rogue secret society.

kain2-1 kiyonesmile1

That would be fun since it would give Ryoko and Aeka another reason to get pissed at Mihoshi.
      greenthumb30
      Participant
      My idea is highly unoriginal. Rather than introduce a 4th OVA, I would have “Hexagram of Love” modified to fit an episodic format and use that for OVA II.
      Ok,I admit it I don’t know what “Hexagram of Love” is.
      Nil Admirari
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

That would be Miss Hasegawa’s First Tenchi novel.

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Nil Admirari wrote:

mitsuki lover wrote:

That would be Miss Hasegawa’s First Tenchi novel.

Unfortunately, a LOT of Tenchi fans don’t know about it. Crazed and Nil here have done a lot of work to translate/localize the first novel, and not only is it and the rest of the novels being worked on worth supporting, it’s worth the read.

& on that note, Greenthumb, I totally agree. It would be awesome to get to see it.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Would the Tenchi Muyo Ai verse could be considered a reboot? It is much it’s own continuity, and all they would need to do is make a prequel or sequel to it. Ai refreshed Tenchi after all these years, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they started building off that series for the coming future.
      Deathsight
      Participant
      This is a consensus of the general thoughts and ideas after reviewing numerous forums and polls these are what most fans agree on that they would want to see in a next OVA. It is quite a read but it is worth it especially since quite a few on this forum had input into this, so please read all of it and give your thoughts.

The vast majority of fans agree that there are certain things that they want to see in OVA 4 to save it from the disaster of OVA 3. These are what the vast majority of fans say that they want to see in OVA 4. First off the art style. A lot of fans said that they absolutely hated the art style used in OVA 3, that the characters looked weird and expressions were too exaggerated. Most fans say that they need to return to using the old art and animation style, but use a modern graphic style which is similar to like saying in HD, that was used in the previous tenchi muyo series, namely tenchi universe as most agree that the old art style used in that series had the best detail and colouring along with how the characters were drawn making them look their best and all they need to do is just replicate that.

Second get rid of Noike, seriously there is no point to her even being there, her character is bland and has no real significance. There is no significance to adding a new girl this late in the game. She just takes up unneccessary screen time in trying to make her character work when it doesn’t and ends up subtracting screen time that could be more valuabley spent on the main characters and developing their characters further. Many say that one such instance is the scene at the cave should have been Ryoko and not her since it was Ryoko’s cave and she knew his mother more than Noike did as she watched over him from there when he was growing and comforted him when his mother died and could have comforted him again, making it a really touching moment. They need to find some way to get rid of her either make it that she has to go away because her mission is complete and she finds that Tenchi and the others are not a military threat and she has another mission that she has to do for Lady Seto. Or that because she was sent there to spy on them it causes her to become an antagonist and causes a conflict involving the Jurian Emperor or something, but most fans just agree that they want her gone.

Thirdly what many fans say that they want is for them to have more character development with the main characters leaving out unneccessary or new characters for more favourable storyline development. They say they want the fourth OVA to be more like the previous tenchi series. To have in-depth detailed storyline that like the first two OVA’s and also all the fun, action, adventure, romance and wackiness that was in Tenchi Universe, especially the fun and adventure. That way you combine the best of both worlds.

Fourthly want many fans also say that they want is for the OVA’s to be longer. To get rid of this notion that they have to be just five or six episodes instead what most say they want is for them to make them more like 20 episodes long like a series like Tenchi Universe. That way you will get more story content, more adventure, fun and action and have more quality and quantity have more of a satisfied feel when you have finished watching it

Fifthly and very important almost every single fan agrees that they hate Ryoko’s new voice actress. That voice does not suit her at all. All fans agree that they need to get back Petrea Burchard no matter the cost, they need to get her back no matter what, no one else can voice Ryoko like her, they need to get no one but her. They also need to get back as many of the other original voice actors as well most fans prefer those over any other.

Sixthly and probably most importantly the vast majority of fans say that they want to see Tenchi choose a girl, with an overwhelmingly most of them saying Ryoko. The polls show that overwhelmingly vast majority say that they want him to choose Ryoko with internet poll percentages ranging between 60-85%. The vast majority of fans want him to choose Ryoko and Ryoko alone as his wife, as they see more development and a deeper bond between him and Ryoko than with the other girls, and say that she loves him the most because of her reasons for loving him when compared to the other girls. Most fans in their responses in internet forums said the reasons for all the girls loving him and their was a general consensus between their statements.

For Aeka: Because he is descended from royal Jurai lineage and is Yosho’s grandson, making him more or less a Yosho replacement.

For Sasami: More like a childhood crush than actual love.

For Washu: First interest was becuase he could produce the lighthawk wings

For Mihoshi: Because he caught her by accident when she was falling out of her ship.

But for Ryoko it is much more deeper than that her love for him is not shallow but from a genuine reason she watched over him for years as he grew up getting to actually know him. She looked over him in the good times and in the bad, both when he was happy and when he was sad. She would give up her life for him and has offered to do that before and has quite literally risked her life to protect him and he has done the same for her at least twice without hesitation. The fans see that in the most critical moments in the OVA it is always about the two of them, when things are their most dangerous it is always the two of them that are at risk either one or the other and they always come to each others rescue and share a significant moment together that shows a deeper bond between them. This is why more fans want to see more development between these two specifically, ultimately leading to him choosing her.

Internet polls and most forums show that most fans don’t want a harem ending but that they want him to man up and choose, showing further character development on his part and they want him to choose the one who he has the deepest bond with and who loves him the most Ryoko. According to the polls those that want Tenchi to choose a girl rather than a harem ending numbers fluctuate between 70-80%, showing that most fans are against a harem ending. Most fans feel that a harem ending is just a cheap cop out to prevent him from choosing one of the girls and as a way for the creators and writers to avoid offending the fans but most fans find it even more insulting than if their favourite wasn’t chosen, because it is what they have been waiting on for so long a definite, singular decision as to which girl did he would choose, not a broad cheap cop out statement that he chose all of them. That is the biggest insult to fans that have been waiting to find out which one for so long, and shows that he hasn’t grown at all as a character if he couldn’t choose. It would show the most character growth and development if he finally decided and choose one of them. That he can make clear choices now and is no longer indecisive, and finally put to rest the question after all the fighting and arguing and trying to get his attention which one finally won. Otherwise it was all for nothing. There are harem animes where the guy chooses one girl at the end so the notion that he can’t choose is just ridiculous. If he chooses all of them then the whole thing would be pointless. There would be no point to all the arguing and fighting over Tenchi’s affections if in the end he just marries all of them. It makes it all pointless, if there is no definite winner. No Tenchi has to man up and make a decision and actually choose. Most fans say that they should have him reflect on who loves him the most and for the genuine reasons. Some fans make the arguement that if he chooses it would break up the family which isn’t true. Tenchi Universe shows that this isn’t true where in the end he chose Ryoko and the family unit still is together. It even showed character growth where Aeka accepted that Ryoko truly loved Tenchi and that he loved her back and all the other girls accepted that he loved Ryoko and still remained together as a family. It was one of the most beautiful endings to the series and will certainly be a lot more beautiful than a cop out harem ending. This could work in the OVA where he chooses to be intimate with Ryoko and the others no longer look at him or live with him not as a love interest but as a family member, which most are anyway. That is not to say that there still would not be fights along the way with them still fighting over Tenchi, but some suggest that halfway through the OVA he finally chooses say Ryoko and the other half shows the progression and the growth of the rest of them coming to accept his decision and still live with him not as potential love interests but as family members. Because honestly the only one of them that truly could not live without him as a love interest is Ryoko.

This is not just my idea here but one that I also agree with and I’m going to expound on. It is to remove Zero from Ryoko but do it in a way that ties into the story and allows Ryoko to still express her emotions whenever she wants. The idea of a robot assimilating with Ryoko never quite sat well with me, honestly it didn’t seem necessary as in previous episodes especially episode 10 it showed that Ryoko was starting to be able to express her true feelings on her own. The addition of Zero is like it is forced to express her true feelings. So it is almost as if it is no longer the true Ryoko, so it is not natural character development that she has learnt to express her feelings it is being forced. Before the assimilation it was like when you see her crying for Tenchi it was like oh she is learning to show her true emotions she is progressing as a character, but after it is like is she showing these emotions and acting like this because of development of her character and she has learnt to do this on her own or is it because of Zero. The thought that she is like this only because of Zero and not because she has become like this on her own is what bothers me and other fans it is like everytime you see her it is like is she like this because of Zero is she doing this because of Zero the thought of her being forced to be like this because of assimilation that affects her emotions instead of her being like this on her own is what gets to me. Whereas in other series like say Universe we know that she is like that because of her own growth that she becomes who she is at the end because of her own character development, that that is really how she is and has changed this much on her own and not because of some added factor or assimilation so you get to see the real Ryoko which is what I meant when I said that in the OVA it is like it is no longer the true Ryoko, but just her being forced to be like that and not really on her own.

A solution to this and also an excellent plotline that would tie in to what other fans have said about her getting together with Tenchi halfway through the OVA would be to have through the OVA you see that she is growing as a character becoming kinder and expressing her emotions and getting closer to Tenchi, but there is a problem because she assimilated with Zero, Zero is now getting jealous that she is getting close to Tenchi, and feels that it is because of her that she is getting so close and wants to escape Ryoko but not before fully extracting Ryoko’s life energy and become the only Ryoko and have Tenchi to herself. Washu realizes this when Ryoko begins to get weaker, and after analysis realizes that the only way is to remove Zero in order to save Ryoko’s life. She either uses her goddess powers or some scientific method to remove Zero from Ryoko, but she has already absorbed half of her life energy and assumed once again her form as Zero Ryoko. Since she looks exactly like Ryoko no one can tell them apart no even Washu. A battle between her and the real Ryoko ensues with no one being able to tell them apart and are so unable to help. This is where that supposed psychic link that Tenchi has with Ryoko that was shown in episode 11 which could signify a deeper bond comes into play. At a point during the battle when the others want to help but can’t tell them apart Tenchi steps in with his sword but with eyes closed. Through his psychic with Ryoko he is able to tell them apart and attacks one of them revealing it to be Zero Ryoko. Because of his attack she reverts to her robotic form. Giving Ryoko enough time to attack Zero Ryoko destroying her. But Ryoko collapses from lack of energy. They take her back to Washu’s lab where upon analysis Washu determines that all traces of Zero have been completely removed from Ryoko and that her life energy will replenish with some rest, but she is not sure about her emotions as she may just go back to how she was before the assimilation. Washu says that they should leave her and let her rest but Tenchi asks if he can stay and watch over and take care of her. Washu agrees and she and the rest leave them alone. While she rests Tenchi began to think back on how she was from the start of this OVA of how she had become and starts to wonder about his psychic link to her and his bond with her. He starts to wonder if she will still be the same but then thinks as long as she is alive that is all that matters. She awakens and they exchange a few words, he says that Washu says that she will be alright but, and she stops him mid sentence and says she heard all that she said and tells him not to worry, because she will still be the same, because she has learnt to express her emotions on her own through all this and doesn’t need Zero anymore to do that. She then asks how he knew that she was the real one and he states that he can always tell who is my Ryoko, they hold hands it becomes a very romantic moment and goes to end credits. After this it progressively leads to where he realizes his true feelings towards her then halfway through the OVA he chooses her, by this time the others see that he truly loves her and she truly loves him and have come to accept it and the rest of the OVA is spent showing them coming to accept it and deciding to live with him as family members while Washu investigates and explains the psychic link between the two of them. I wouldn’t mind one bit if the creators and writers used exactly this or something like this for the fourth OVA in fact they should. I wouldn’t ask for one bit of credit I would just want to see it help make a good OVA and that would be enough for me.

While some fans have been drastic and said to scrap the entire third OVA and rewrite it over which I am only half for. But if they were to do that I know the vast majority of fans would want them to use these changes

So what do the rest of you guys think what are your thoughts on how the fourth OVA should be, what would you want them to fix what went wrong in the third OVA and how?

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Would the Tenchi Muyo Ai verse could be considered a reboot? It is much it’s own continuity, and all they would need to do is make a prequel or sequel to it. Ai refreshed Tenchi after all these years, it wouldn’t be a surprise if they started building off that series for the coming future.

I think there’s a lot of validity to that line of thinking. Of all things out there, Tenchi has precedence for just starting from scratch: we know these characters, throw them into another slightly different setup, you’re pretty much golden.

There’s also reason to believe they’ll attempt just that with Ai, because as many on this very board have said for a long time (and we’re just now having confirmed more or less by Kajishima himself), AIC (or any big producer, I’d reckon) isn’t biting; they’re not buying what Kajishima tried to sell via IF. There’s nowhere to go after OVA 3 that’s commercially viable: story-wise and format-wise (long OVA’s are not the format of choice anymore). Rather than put the burden on some would-be director and writers to try and work with the corner Kajishima has painted himself in, it’d make more sense to just start with a clean slate yet again.

I certainly don’t mind seeing ideas for OVA 4, but unfortunately (and yet fortunately) I don’t think it will ever happen.

WisperG
      Didn’t you already make this thread? And then it got merged with our other OVA 4 thread? Although I see it’s gone now…
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

WisperG wrote:

Didn’t you already make this thread? And then it got merged with our other OVA 4 thread? Although I see it’s gone now…

Yeah, even though we could throw it here we’ll let it stand as a separate thread, as long as it’s specifically related to aforementioned “consensus” and OVA 4. General ideas on OVA 4, TU 2, TMiL 3 or anything else can still go here.

Deathsight
      Participant
      So wwwwhhhhoooo and WisperG what do you think what are your thoughts.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      1. Art

I agree very much with this sentiment, didn’t like the art style (if Kajishima’s art style changed unintentionally over the years, I can’t blame him there, but if voluntary, I don’t see the reasoning). One could easily say “but Who, you praised Ai for its updated character designs” to which I would say yes, but the reason Ai ‘gets away with it’ is simple (and why it can ‘get away with’ other stylistic changes): it’s not connected to the OVA, it’s yet another ‘fresh start’ like Tenchi in Tokyo. Tokyo is allowed to be comical and zany because it’s its own beast. If Tokyo-style, super-deformed animation were used in OVA or Universe, then I’d take issue.

2. Noike

Yup. Not only did she not need to be there (at least Sakuya was central to the plot, and there was reasoning behind her ‘blank slate’ personality), the way she (and others, particularly Lady Seto) was presented was too ostentatious to be redeemable (sure, fans will bite the head off any new girl, but in every other instance–Mayuka, Sakuya, Momo–the character is redeemed by the end, earning the right to be a ‘Tenchi girl’). Top that with her ‘oh gee, your mom died Tenchi? Well, if you think you have it bad, listen to my sob story’ attitude, combined with the uncharacteristically subservient demeanor of the classic girls towards the mail-order fiance, and you’ve got a target of fan ire for decades to come.

3. Character development

I think this was sadly another weak point for the OVA 3 (I’m sure it’s hard to try and emulate Hiroki Hayashi’s masterful pacing as per OVA 1). A lot of ‘new’ characters were thrown in for the sole purpose of unwanted GXP tie-in’s. Oh, and what’s this? Flashbacks of the first OVA? The main events, no less? Oh, thank you! Just what I needed! I had completely forgotten about that whole thing! (Said absolutely no one going in to view OVA 3 with bated breath.) Buildup? Further development? These are not words used to describe something of Kajishima’s vision: from the Emperor’s big reveal in Photon to Ryo-Ohki‘s “Counteractor” Kajishima’s style has consistently been ‘I’m going to throw something literally out of nowhere because you won’t see it coming because you couldn’t possibly ha ha ha I’m so clever.’ I like that you brought up “fun, action, adventure and romance” when describing what any incarnation of the franchise should be, and the overall reason OVA 3 received the response it did is it removed all of these in one fell swoop, plain and simple:

– There’s no way I’ll know what direction the plot is going, because Kajishima will just pull it out of the ether. What’s more, even after he does eventually show his hand, he might go back and change it years later to wiggle out of an inconvenience like plot continuity (he’s done it, people). So why would I invest my time in the work? Umm, gee, what fun? Nah.

– The fight with Z was action, as was the interaction with the Chousin, but it was extremely brief, and again ultimately meaningless when the Chousin can go into “God Mode” and undo literally anything that’s happened. Not much suspense knowing that, is there?

– The ‘adventure’ is dead when your protagonist finds out he’s God. Nothing can challenge you, nothing can hurt you, ever. The end. Tah Dah?

– Romance? A foreign concept to Mr. Kajishima. Tenchi grow up and pick a girl he’s had a relationship with for years? Screw that, Mama Seto swoops in and says ‘here’s your bride’ and ‘oh gee, well okay, I mean tradition and all.’ How you have a character be GOD and somehow not have a spine is beyond me.

4. Episode Length

I can’t relate too much to this one. If people want it, fine, but OVA’s (as they truly once were, I’m not talking about a one-off ‘throw the fans a bone between seasons’ stuff we have now) are a thing of the past. War on Geminar exemplifies this quite well: it lagged numerous times (I was literally checking my wristwatch at times…and I don’t wear a wristwatch) and it’d take a small miracle for its continuation (if it ever happens, which I’m not opposed to) to have a budget allocated for 40-something minute episodes. Glad I brought up Saint Knight’s Tale (sorry, couldn’t help myself), because it’s a perfect example for my view on the matter: it’s not that OVA 3 didn’t have enough time, it’s that it wasn’t used properly (as we’ve hashed out already). Look at Geminar: extra long run time for episodes, plenty of time to work with, and what do we get? Almost a whole episode devoted to Kenshi doing laundry, and then a rushed climax (the deus ex machina moment was, you guessed it, virtually out of nowhere, but at least there’s some precedence for it via Tenchi).

5. Ryoko’s Voice Actress (English)

Amen to that! Though not a fault of the Japanese production end, it’s a valid complaint for an English-speaking listener. Funimation really, really, really dropped the ball there, and I can only hope the lack of DVD sales made them realize that.

6. Pick a Girl!

Apart from the aforementioned sci-fi adventure and fantastic elements, what made Tenchi alluring to most people is quite simple: who’s he gonna’ choose? Who’s going to “win” Tenchi? If you look at other works of the original director (Hayashi), like El Hazard, it’s not hard to see that this was in fact his (and likely writer Naoko Hasegawa’s) vision. It’s simple but brilliant: people cheer for their ‘team’ the fans are in their little camps, and you’ve got an invested viewership, suspense, and rom-com gold without having to try that hard. You can have a vibrant cast of characters, even fun flirty moments, ecchi fan service, and real relationships all with an uneven boy-to-girl ratio: it doesn’t automatically make it a harem. It’s called life, interacting with other human(oid)s; doesn’t mean ‘oh gee, girl talked to me? I got some!’

The magic of Tenchi is they’re all after him, but you’re always kind of left wondering ‘who’s it going to be?’ I think that would probably be the best solution (what was once called ‘the Tenchi solution’), but in reality, if you continue with Tenchi and the Masaki household for a length of time, over the years the natural progression of things would lead him to be with one of the girls, and interactions with the others would, sadly, fade over time (think post-high school or your college buddies from back in the day…if you’re not there yet, you’ll get there). As Tenchi matures from being a teenager to an adult, he would have to “man up” so to speak and either take the relationship to the next level, or it halts altogether; all the while making your intentions known. If Tenchi in ANY of its incarnations continued, the natural progression would be something akin to Keiichi and Belldandy in Ah My Goddess! There’s other girls around, but it doesn’t mean Keiichi’s going to have children with them for goodness sake.

Kajishima’s vision was not this at all (this is largely what instigated the eventual split between Hayashi and himself before OVA 2) and one need look no further than GXP. Same dynamic: awkward teenage boy who wouldn’t normally get a second glance from girls is all of a sudden candy to a whole troupe of females. What’s different between it and most versions of Tenchi? Surprise! Seina doesn’t choose one, he marries them all! When things go ‘polygamy fest’ my reaction (and many others’) can unfortunately be little more than ‘cool story bro’ at best, because at the end of the day, you can’t help but ask yourself something that is a basic component to storytelling: why do I (the viewer, or reader) care? you have to make me care, and having characters as–or worse, turning well-established characters into–notches on a nonexistent belt of oppressive patriarchal stereotypes is not how you do it.

Ryoko is who Tenchi ‘ought to’ end up with imho, because that’s how it was structured initially, it’s how it was built up, and it’s how it was interpreted by the likes of director Hiroshi Negishi with his canon. But I can see why one could make a case for Ayeka (it’s fun to make cases for the others, but there’s no real candidates other than Ayeka and Ryoko; not bashing, it’s just how it is, the others don’t show romantic interest beyond a little bit of flirtatiousness). So I won’t even advocate I get ‘my way’ and he gets Ryoko (in OVA canon, at least, because in most of the others I get my OTP hehe). In El Hazard, I love the character Shayla Shayla, and my ‘favorite girl’ is Nanami…but the director made it clear that his heart isn’t set on either of them: Makoto’s heart is set on Ifurita. I’m not saying ‘never question sensei!’ but rather we have to see what’s actually there, and not try to fulfill our own fantasy at the source material’s expense (but playful ribbing is what fans do after all, I don’t want to eliminate that…heck, the more I think about it, Nanami and Makoto would be cute together! But oy, the bride’s family at the wedding…uh oh).

The ‘fulfill our own fantasy at the source material’s expense’ btw isn’t aimed at us as fans (fan fiction can be whatever you want) it’s aimed at those involved with the subject matter, like Kajishima: turning the Masaki household into a polygamist compound and saying ‘remember your mother? Yeah, you were wrong because I say so’ is not ‘seeing what’s actually there.’ I don’t care who you are. You’re shoehorning and it shows.

I got on a soapbox a bit at the end there, so sorry if I wandered here and there, but that’s my two cents. I can’t take part much in the ‘how to fix OVA 3’ part of this post, as imho it is beyond repair or recall.

Peace. ^^ v

Deathsight
      Participant
      Thanks for the great response wwwwhhhhoooo. Actually in a way you did participate in how to fix OVA 3 part of this post. The things that you listed can be used to help remedy the mistakes of OVA 3 by using them in OVA 4. I completely agree with most of what you said.

Yeah the art style was terrible in the third OVA. They should use the art style that was used in Tenchi Universe, as most fans agree that, that art style was the peak for the Tenchi series. All of the characters looked their best in that art style and it had much more detail all around just looked better. They just need to replicate that and make the characters look exactly like that.

They definitely need to get rid of Noike. I have seen fans come up with ways to get rid of her that were way better than what was used in the third OVA.

On your third point this is why I have said and will continue to say Tenchi Muyo was not made by just one person. Unlike other animes where just one person basically puts together the whole thing and has control over every part of it, Tenchi Muyo was unique in that it was a whole team that put it together in way that no other anime had been. That is why they need to get back the original team in order to make a successful fourth OVA.

I wouldn’t mind him changing what he has shown, but on only one occasion. They should remove GXP and War on Geminar from the continuity. This would allow them to remove unnecessary characters who they try and make fit into the plot line but quite simply don’t. These stories also limit the potential for new plot lines and adventures to occur by trying to make the plot of the main cast fit into their stories when they don’t. Removing them would allow for multitudes of new stories and adventures within Tenchi Muyo. It would not be a problem to remove these two stories as they are just spin offs and especially since they don’t really have anything to do with Tenchi. Like you said he has done it before and this would be the only time it is beneficial.

To bring back the adventure and fix the whole god problem, they could say that he is not really a god, he just has godlike powers and has very small control over them. Or they could do what they did with Thor in the Marvel Comics, where he is a god in mythology, but he really isn’t a god and just has amazing powers, but he can still be hurt or killed. They could do that with Tenchi.

For the romance that is why they need to get back the original team, let somebody else handle it. I just watched a video where he made a statement saying ‘there are no strong female characters like that in real life’, which explains why they are so horrible in the third OVA. They need someone else to handle it and make them strong female characters again like they are in the other series.

On your fourth point actually a lot of fans do want this, but not longer episodes. They can still be 30 minutes long but what they want is more number of episodes, like 20 episodes more like a series. Like how it was in Tenchi Universe, but with more action and adventure and without boring menial tasks. That way you get more quantity and quality for your money.

They definitely need to get back Petrea Burchard as the voice actress for Ryoko no matter what. Is it true that funimation didn’t use her because she missed her plane to the recording session, because if it that is lame. They need to get her back no matter what that is a must.

On your last point they may not actually go with a harem ending. I don’t remember the name of the company that owns the right to Tenchi Muyo and produces all the stuff, but they are in a financial problem right now and serious losses due to financial disasters such as GXP, War on Geminar, OVA 3 and even Ai Tenchi. Right now they are desperate for a hit. Which is why they are no longer keen to listen to the ideas of the co-creator as they are responsible for the disasters of the first three, and especially since those ideas are not popular with the fans. They are more keen to listen to the ideas of the other members of the original team, which is why it is likely that they will get the original team back together to work on the future OVA’s giving them more influence than they had before or total control. They are also more keen to listen to the fans now more than ever on what they want. That is why they are likely to give a Ryoko and Tenchi pairing as that is what most fans say that they want , and especially since it was structured that way for so it will make it easier to make new plot and story lines for future OVA’s. Fans have more power now than they ever had before. Which is why forums such as this are important, but it is for us as fans to post what we want from OVA 4 and future OVA’s because they are very keenly listening to us.

P.S What did you think of that idea for character development for Ryoko by removing Zero, but doing it in a way that still allows her to express her emotions and what did you think of my idea on how to do it and allow her to get closer to Tenchi. Do you think they should use it because it sound like a good plot line to me.

DragonLord
      Participant
      I completely agree with everything you said Deathsight, the old art style was way better in Tenchi Universe imo, plus they definitely have to fix the character development issue and make them back to what it was in the other series. Like I said in the other thread I love that idea with Ryoko fighting Zero again and they should definitely use that idea in OVA 4.
      shadowstorm
      Participant
      I agree as well I prefer the art style in Tenchi Universe they need to change it back to that and make them look exactly like that in Tenchi Universe. I really do want more episodes in each OVA as well with like 20 episodes in each OVA, so each one is like a series or a full season. They definitely need to get back Petrea Burchard back as the voice actress for Ryoko nobody else can do her. Nobody else will do it is either Petrea Burchard or no one at all! I also do really like that idea for Ryoko fighting Zero and removing Zero from Ryoko because she threatens Ryoko’s life and wants to have Tenchi all to herself, but letting Ryoko still be able to express her emotions because she learnt how to on her own. That is an excellent plot and they really should put in the fourth OVA. I would really want to see that. They could call it the Return of Zero Ryoko.

I never liked that they made Ryoko assimilate with a robot just to express her emotions. It’s like she is no longer the true Ryoko. Everytime I look at her your wondering is she being like that because she has learnt how to or is it because she is being forced to because of Zero. You always keep wondering and guessing. They should get rid of the guess work and just remove Zero from her, but still let her be able to keep her emotions. That way she will be 100% Ryoko, with no robot added to her, they should have never made her assimilate with a robot in the first place. That would make her feel like the real Ryoko again when you see her. Like I already said the way Deathsight explains it would make an excellent plot for the story.

So who is this new VA for Ryoko that ‘everyone’ hates?

I put everyone in quotes because I don’t know if that’s an actual consenus of all the fans who’ve seen

OVA 3 or simply the opinion of a few fans such as the OP.

Perhaps OVA 4 should be a sub only concern,which would solve the whole Ryoko voice question and simply have Orikasa Ai do her. soawesome1

AFAIG:with Tenchi choosing a girl,I think you’re missing the whole point of the franchise,if he were to actually choose one that would be the end of it for a lot of us.Also according to Tenchi In Tokyo

didn’t he make his choice and it was None of the Above?(Someone remind me if I’m wrong here since I’ve never seen TiT.)

Personally I think he should choose Aeka or Kiyone but that’s just me,if he had to choose a single girl.Otherwise I would go with a trio of Aeka,Ryoko and Kiyone.

Anonymous

Deathsight wrote:

Is it true that funimation didn’t use her because she missed her plane to the recording session, because if it that is lame. They need to get her back no matter what that is a must.

No one knows why as Petrea has never spoken about that matter publicly, although she has come close recently.

The current prevailing hypothesis (made by yours truly), if we were to follow what happened publicly between the original cast of Trigun and Funimation for Badlands Rumble, then one can surmise that Petrea was asking for a respectable amount of money which Funimation was unwilling to pay, and instead dubbed it without her with Mona Marshall.

Adding to this is the fact that Matt Miller, a proud SAG member, had no problem alluding to the fact his performance in OVA3 was because Funimation were paying him next to nothing “You get what you pay for”, as he said.

Naturally I think after the overwhelmingly negative response that Mona got in GXP and OVA3 (Which even FUNi staff have admitted on the Anime News Network Podcast) if anything, they’ll sign Petrea before they sign anyone else at this point.

Mitsuki Lover wrote:

So who is this new VA for Ryoko that ‘everyone’ hates?

See above

I’ve said it multiple times on here and in podcasts, but I think I can speak for most fans, in that we do not hate Mona Marshall as a voice actress, she does what she does well, but as a replacement for Ryoko, she was one of the worst calls and choices they could have picked (which lends somewhat credence to the idea that maybe Mona was a last resort and they just couldn’t seal the deal with Petrea in a timely manner and just doubled down)

Deathsight
      Participant
      I have to disagree with you mitsuki lover, no most fans want English dub so doing it only in sub wouldn’t do. That’s why they say they want back Petrea Burchard. With Tenchi choosing a girl I am not missing the point of the franchise. As I and wwwwhhhhoooo stated before the story was originally structured to be just about him and Ryoko, which you can still see in the OVA’s with the major developments in terms of relationship between them. I am not saying there isn’t any for the others but most of it or at least the most significant ones happen between him and Ryoko. People have to remember that Tenchi Muyo was not created by just one person but by a team, namely three people, which is why they are all still referred to as co-creators.

If he doesn’t end up choosing a girl then the whole thing was pointless with all the arguing and fighting over him was all for nothing if there is no definite outcome in the end as to which one he chooses. It would be what was the point of the whole thing if in the end he just ends up with everyone. No there has to be a definite winner.

It is like wwwwhhhhoooo stated above the natural progression of things would lead to him choosing one of the girls. Also where wwwwhhhhoooo said

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

what made Tenchi alluring to most people is quite simple: who’s he gonna’ choose? Who’s going to “win” Tenchi? If you look at other works of the original director (Hayashi), like El Hazard, it’s not hard to see that this was in fact his (and likely writer Naoko Hasegawa’s) vision. It’s simple but brilliant: people cheer for their ‘team’ the fans are in their little camps, and you’ve got an invested viewership, suspense, and rom-com gold without having to try that hard. You can have a vibrant cast of characters, even fun flirty moments, ecchi fan service, and real relationships all with an uneven boy-to-girl ratio: it doesn’t automatically make it a harem. It’s called life, interacting with other human(oid)s; doesn’t mean ‘oh gee, girl talked to me? I got some!’

As Tenchi matures from being a teenager to an adult, he would have to “man up” so to speak and either take the relationship to the next level, or it halts altogether; all the while making your intentions known. If Tenchi in ANY of its incarnations continued, the natural progression would be something akin to Keiichi and Belldandy in Ah My Goddess! There’s other girls around, but it doesn’t mean Keiichi’s going to have children with them for goodness sake.

Ryoko is who Tenchi ‘ought to’ end up with imho, because that’s how it was structured initially, it’s how it was built up, and it’s how it was interpreted by the likes of director Hiroshi Negishi with his canon. But I can see why one could make a case for Ayeka (it’s fun to make cases for the others, but there’s no real candidates other than Ayeka and Ryoko; not bashing, it’s just how it is, the others don’t show romantic interest beyond a little bit of flirtatiousness). In El Hazard, I love the character Shayla Shayla, and my ‘favorite girl’ is Nanami…but the director made it clear that his heart isn’t set on either of them: Makoto’s heart is set on Ifurita.

It is also like I said before there are many harem animes built up in the exact same way with almost identical situations in which Tenchi is in now, but they end with the guy actually choosing one girl. So there is nothing wrong with Tenchi actually choosing a girl, since that is what most fans want to see, and most want to see him choose Ryoko. If he chooses her it would not be the end, it would be a way for fans to see how the rest progressively come to terms with his decision as their relationship grows, which is something most wanted to see at the end of Tenchi Universe. It would open new possibilities and storylines on how Ryoko’s and Tenchi’s relationship grow, while still living just as a family with the rest. This would actually be a more interesting concept and plot line. Some fans have even suggested on how during their future adventures in new OVA’s they travel through space and the others meet up other people who become allies to Tenchi and who become love interests to the other girls, ending with all of them living together in maybe a huge imperial villa. That would be way more interesting to see how the different families interact with the girls arguing and dragging their poor husbands into it, and going off on adventures together.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      This is just ideas for new Tenchi, in my head and would not be offended at critique:

The Tenchi Household goes against an Evil Parallel Washu that already conquered her universe with her genius.

Ayeka and Sasami are targeted by pirates that used to work for Ryoko in her previous pirate life.

The Tenchi household traveling among the galaxy

Someone erases the Tenchi Household memories making them estranged, except for Tenchi.

These are just random ideas thrown around, but also sound like good fanfic material.

Deathsight
      Participant
      You know I have been thinking a lot about this today. The only way to fix this whole OVA 3 problem is to recall the whole thing. Just have them recall the whole thing and rewrite the whole thing, they could say ‘we made a mistake’ and they just remove the whole thing. There were just too many mistakes, too many things gone wrong and too much weird stuff that happened that just made the whole thing terrible. It wouldn’t be unprecedented to recall the OVA, anime companies have done this before where they release a season for a series or an OVA and recall it back because it was just terrible and because of viewer and fan response.

They could just do the same thing, that would be the easiest thing to do and best way to fix the whole thing. They should use the things we have said on what they got wrong in OVA 3 and how to fix and make a good OVA 4, and just rewrite the whole thing in order to make a new better version of OVA 3. They should definitely use what fans have said that they want to see in future OVA’s and use what fans said that they got wrong, was missing, should get rid of or want changed, like most of the stuff listed in this thread, to make an even better one. They could call it Tenchi Muyo OVA 3 version 2.0.

That would be the absolute best way to fix it.

Anonymous

Ukinojo92 wrote:

This is just ideas for new Tenchi, in my head and would not be offended at critique:

The Tenchi Household goes against an Evil Parallel Washu that already conquered her universe with her genius.

Ayeka and Sasami are targeted by pirates that used to work for Ryoko in her previous pirate life.

The Tenchi household traveling among the galaxy

Someone erases the Tenchi Household memories making them estranged, except for Tenchi.

These are just random ideas thrown around, but also sound like good fanfic material.

I really like these 2 because they have the potential to expand some areas we rarely see.

Ayeka and Sasami are often times put into the background, and having THEM be the targets would be interesting because they are going to be in the spotlight more, thus seeing more emotion.

The idea of essentially reversing the plot of Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 would be awesome because it would force Tenchi to show real emotion, and less “reactive” emotion, who is he going to try and get to remember him first? How would he go about making each of them remember? Who would be the first?

Great ideas Ukinojo.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

Quote:

Dagon123 wrote:

The idea of essentially reversing the plot of Tenchi Muyo in Love 2 would be awesome because it would force Tenchi to show real emotion, and less “reactive” emotion, who is he going to try and get to remember him first? How would he go about making each of them remember? Who would be the first?

My guess, if the erasing memories story was took up, it would be Washu first. Hypothetically, if they were all in the house when they woke up with no memories, except Tenchi, Washu would be the first to notice and ask. Ryoko would probably fight or fly off and resume piracy, Ayeka would be bewildered and resume princess role and try to leave or talk down to everyone. Mihoshi would probably just eat or say hi and be friendly, but then realize Ryoko is a pirate then chase her. Sasami would most likely be the most friendly to Tenchi, like in OVA 2. Out of all of this, Washu would question, “Why am I in a house, on earth with: princesses, a pirate, a space cop, and a earthling boy talking like he knows me?” and take initiative to find out. Washu would question Tenchi and examine him and herself, and find out what happened, then move on to the others.

Next would be Ayeka and Sasami, them being princesses on earth they would probably call for a ride home or demand a explanation from Tenchi. Having Washu explain with her science, Ayeka would be skeptical at first but then reason why would she be with her sister on earth in a house with a boy and a genius scientist and cautiously follow them, Sasami would just follow along her sister.

Washu would eventually track Mihoshi because she is a cop and isn’t trying to hide or run like Ryoko. My guess after they meet with her she trips and hits her head and then remembers, or Washu uses a frying pan to hit her, or a piko hammer. Ryoko, the best for last, with all the gang almost back and remembered, they would do their best to convince her, while not being shot at by her. My hypothetical is that when she left, she would “feel” something amiss in herself. And when she meets Tenchi again, hearing him naturally talk to her would spark something, a feeling of comfort or place in the group that came to her.

The reason I say Ryoko would be last because it would be like the roles or In Love 2 reversed, Tenchi coming to Ryoko to bring her back, the same way Ryoko brought Tenchi back.

Totally my thoughts on what Dagon said

My point I was trying to make was that you have to be careful when you say ‘everyone’.I mean who

really is this ‘everyone’ of which people speak? I’m sorry but it does get on my case whenever I read

something where a writer uses ‘everyone’ without properly clarifying their meaning.I think the

wording should have been:”Everyone I have talked to about it…” or “Everyone who is a dub

fan…” or “Everyone who was asked in a poll…”

As far as the whole thing goes,the best thing to do is to entirely ignore OVA 3 then and consider it the

Tenchi version of Star Trek 5.

susano
      My ideal for OVA 4 is focus on it being a sequel to TM: RYO-OHKI. The series starts sometime after the events of GXP. Tenchi will be ronin. His reasons for becoming a ronin are a result of his need to learn how to manage and to control his emerging Kami powers, to study for his university entrance exams, and to decide on what college to go to. Tenchi helps his grandfather Katsuhito as an associate priest.

Before OVA 4 begins, Tenchi had learn that he has another older sister and two kid sisters. Tenchi’s two kid sisters are identical twins who happen to be polar opposites. Tenchi’s younger sisters play an important part in the series.

During the first episode, Tenchi finds out that the Kuramitsu family Council has agreed to allow Tenchi to become Miihoshi’s fiancé. Strangely, Tenchi has only gone on two dates with Mihoshi. Also, he hasn’t proposed to her. In the same episode, Tenhci learns from his father that he is engaged to a daughter of one of his Galaxy Academy friends. Nobuyki informs Tench that the engagement was a result of a promise which his mother and he made with their Academy friends. Tenchi’s unexpected fiancée is one of his two kid sister’s best friends. She is very similar to Tenchi in Tokyo’s Sayuka. She is determine to fulfill her parents’ promise.

Tenchi does go out on dates with Ayeka, Ryoko, Washu, Noike and his new fiancée. Ryoko, and Ayeka have learn to tolerate Tenchi’s unexpected fiancé. Tenchi’s new fiancée is persistent in helping her future co-wives.

The antagonist of the series is connected to Tenchi’s new fiancée. He happens to be a member of the Airai. His reasons for being the antagonist are focus on exposing the plans of the rogue secret society which he is a member of. Also, the antagonist is one of Airi’s brothers.

Airi and Minaho have decided to take maternity leave. Katsuhito is a little upset over Airi’s plans to have another child. Funaho and Misaki have a surprise for Aykea, Sasami, and Katsuhito. Azusa agrees to allowing Tenchi to married Ayeka and Sasami under specific conditions. One of his conditions is for Tenchi and Ayeka to name their first son after his father Kazuki.

As usual, Tenchi does his best to accept what is happening to him. He contimues to focus on his year as a ronin. During the series, Tenchi is able to make his decision on what college to go to. Strangely, Tenchi is a little upset since Ayeka and Ryoko want to go to the same college.

Kiyofacepalm1

picard1

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      OVA 4, you say? qt1

[BBvideo]http://youtu.be/Co2Zt615P5M[/BBvideo]

Quote:

We must rebuild. But, who will lead us in the rebuilding process? Man, it’s got to be someone with the know-how and the elbow grease to lead us to a new land. No, not evilpii, he doesn’t have the cognitive capacity to lead.

Alright, I’ll do it! gendo1

After the Renza Federation girls are integrated into Seina’s crew, Yuzuha breaks into the OVA reality via the Tree of Darkness since the dimensional fabric is still weak after Tenchi’s esoteric spasm in OVA series 3. She wrecks Jurai’s fleet, as well as the GP and the Galaxy Army. The Chousin swoop down to take her down and get wrecked just as much. Tenchi breaks 100 dimensions, killing everyone except Tokimi. The chaos goddess then uses the last of her life force to reset the universe one last time. However, now this universe will have no god, not even Tenchi.

Where’s my check? aquateencarl1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

Quote:

evilpii wrote:

“We must rebuild. But, who will lead us in the rebuilding process? Man, it’s got to be someone with the know-how and the elbow grease to lead us to a new land. No, not evilpii, he doesn’t have the cognitive capacity to lead.

Alright, I’ll do it! gendo1

After the Renza Federation girls are integrated into Seina’s crew, Yuzuha breaks into the OVA reality via the Tree of Darkness since the dimensional fabric is still weak after Tenchi’s esoteric spasm in OVA series 3. She wrecks Jurai’s fleet, as well as the GP and the Galaxy Army. The Chousin swoop down to take her down and get wrecked just as much. Tenchi breaks 100 dimensions, killing everyone except Tokimi. The chaos goddess then uses the last of her life force to reset the universe one last time. However, now this universe will have no god, not even Tenchi.

Where’s my check? aquateencarl1

At your real job, lol. But seriously, the idea sounds like you would need to marathon or cut parts from every continuity to explain it. Also the last part sounds like the ending to Space Dandy. qt1

Deathsight
      Participant
      In terms of using the phrase everyone it is specific enough in the context it was used so does not require explanation. For the rest of the posts, this is a thread about correcting the mistakes of OVA 3 or removing it all together by in making a better OVA 4 or OVA 3 version 2.0 and rewriting it completely with the mistakes corrected.

Future ideas can be posted as long as they deal with correcting these mistakes (such as more development in terms of relationships, example Tenchi and Ryoko, or some of the other girls finding other love interests in the end as suggested in the post above) or finding solutions for plot points or events that you felt were mistaken or wrong. Those posts for future ideas specifically that don’t already involve some event or plot point that you feel was mistaken that has already occurred in Tenchi, there is another thread for that.

evilpii
      Participant
      none

Deathsight wrote:

In terms of using the phrase everyone it is specific enough in the context it was used so does not require explanation. For the rest of the posts, this is a thread about correcting the mistakes of OVA 3 or removing it all together by in making a better OVA 4 or OVA 3 version 2.0 and rewriting it completely with the mistakes corrected.

Future ideas can be posted as long as they deal with correcting these mistakes (such as more development in terms of relationships, example Tenchi and Ryoko, or some of the other girls finding other love interests in the end as suggested in the post above) or finding solutions for plot points or events that you felt were mistaken or wrong. Those posts for future ideas specifically that don’t already involve some event or plot point that you feel was mistaken that has already occurred in Tenchi, there is another thread for that.

I apologize if the sarcasm of my previous post was not well-received. The video was the source of the quote I paraphrased. However, I do believe what I have proposed is feasible and satisfies several of the criteria you have set forward. Allow me to elaborate.

First, the OVA continuity is overflowing with characters that serve little purpose than background, and yet have entire series dedicated to them. One way to trim the fat of the series would be the cull them. I claim a powerful adversary could easily achieve this.

Second, most of the cast in the OVA are nearly untouchable (e.g. Tenchi, Washu, Seto). Even Seina seems to have a guardian angel being saved by Ryo-Ohki, the Chobimaru, Mikagami, and the Zinv idol. I have already explained at length my issues with OVA 3 and GXP in terms of plot and characterization, so I will not repeat myself here. The protagonists need to be hurt, shown to be lacking. Without a struggle or journey, there is no story. An adversary seen destroying much of the universe’s military might would establish this very conflict, much like Kagato’s massacre of the White Rock Fleet in OVA 1 episode 4.

Further addressing the untouchable aspect, the deity of the cast should be removed, along with the “universal reset” option. Why have any plot or development if it can be just washed away with the literal wave of a hand as in OVA 3 episode 6? Admittedly, Hexagram of Love did this also, but only after every one of the main cast lay dead. In fact, this is the very vein I have proposed. Hurt the protagonists, even kill them. Make the cast vulnerable, fallible. Make the audience feel for those characters as they suffer. Put them into a desperate position where the reset is the only option left, but at a price. Use it once and then never again. I believe having Tokimi reset the universe with her last breath would endear her more so than as a flying chibi. I envision this much like Crisis on Infinite Earths from DC Comics, where many incarnations of famous characters died to be reborn in a new fused universe.

In short, as we have stated before in other threads, whatever incarnation the series takes, it must evoke some emotion from the audience to be successful. The audience must care about the characters. As such, they need events to make them grow, change, and most importantly, mature. Conflict is necessary for this, whether it is man-vs.-man, man-vs.-god, or man-vs.-self. These events should not be a farce, like Misao and Masishu’s fake predicament aboard the Chobimaru in OVA 3 episode 5, where the event was openly staged. Make it real drama, where someone can lose and be defeated. Give a crisis to be resolved.

I resubmit my proposal for a dark force (e.g. Yuzuha, Kain) entering the OVA universe via a fissure caused by Tenchi’s spasm in OVA 3 episode 6. This adds continuity with the existing works, as well as gives them consequences. I chose Yuzuha because she arises from Hasegawa’s novels, the tenth specifically. Since her novels follow OVA 1, one could adapt more easily than from, say, Universe or Tokyo. A display of power by offing many of the military powers would establish the villain as a significant threat, particularly if core characters started dying in the process. Tenchi breaking dimensions was an exaggeration from OVA 3 episode 6, but him killing everyone in the process was straight from Hexgram of Love. I chose Tokimi to resurrect the universe with her last breath since, unlike Washu and Tsunami, she has not had time to be endeared to the audience, even in the doujinshi or novels. This final act of salvation would give a reason to care about her, the last Chousin standing, watching her sisters and friends die, the one to save them all. Notably, this is in opposition to how I would usually write her.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

Also the last part sounds like the ending to Space Dandy. qt1

Yes, Ukinojo, this would be like the ending of Space Dandy, by design. Dandy realized being a god is not fun. Where is the adventure or drama or passion of the finiteness of life when you are omniscient and omnipotent? This is a main theme in most fiction that being eternal has negative effects, not happiness forever. Unless a god-like storyline can be made compelling, it should not exist. Hence, erase it from existence.

Ukinojo92 wrote:

But seriously, the idea sounds like you would need to marathon or cut parts from every continuity to explain it.

This is false. Except for Yuzuha, my proposal relies only on the OVA series 1-3 and GXP. The Galaxy Army is established in GXP, the Galaxy Police in OVA 1, and the Chousin are a point on OVA 3. I took ideas and inspiration from Hasegawa’s novels, but not explicit events.

susano
      While writing a fanfiction story ideal for episode I, I remembered that the Airai religion has one of its origins in religious relics. Most of the relics seem to have originated from some lost ancient civilizations . The main antagonist for OVA 4 can be searching for some legendary relics. It turns out that the legendary relics are on the planet Earth. One of the relics happens to have been found by Washu. The rogue secret society whom the antagonist belongs to have learn about the discovery of some of the legendary relics. The secret society will do anything to retrieved the legendary relics.

The main antagonist and the other villains have learn about Airi’s secret marriage to Yosho. According to one of the Airi’s bios, the discovery of Airi’s marriage to Yosho by the Airai can lead to serious troubles. The Airai’s present Hierarch is well aware of Airi having two daughters.

The rogue secret society will used the information as a way to disrupt any further attempts by Jurai and the Airai to improve relations. Strangely, the information about Airi’s marriage to Yosho turns out to be worth nothing at all. While some of the hardcore Airai are offended by Airi’s marriage to Yosho, the majority of the Airai seem not to care about the matter.

kain2-1

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Some more ideas rattling in my head:

-meet Mihoshi’s previous partners

-average day in the city with the gang

-earth anti-alien group vs the Tenchi household

-Ryoko temporarily deputized in the gxp due to Mihoshi

-the household deciding on whether to stay together or not

-Ryoko gets framed for a crime

-Washu experiment throws the gang into parallel universes

-the gang save a planet independent of Jurai

thoughts?

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      I would be so down for a reboot or a new universe. A continuation of Universe would be nice, hopefully without a bunch of new characters with one dimensional personalities if at all possible. I think when Tenchi tries to go too far into the “lol fanservice” route it really loses it charm, but Universe hit a really good stride towards the end and especially with the movies. It’s crazy how great Tenchi Forever is, real talk.

Or you know, just animate the manga because Okuda knows his shit.

Shounenbat
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think it be nice to have an OVA that focused on Sasami finally becoming Tsuname and how that

results in any change of relationships with the rest of the cast.

I’d be really interested in that as well (I wonder if Misaki would have a heart attack on the spot?), but it would involve one crazy time skip.

susano
      While working on an ideal for a fan fiction project based on events after OVA 3, I noticed what will happen if Tenchi is allow to travel to the past in order to solve a mystery. The mystery invovles some events which play a part in the future. For Tenchi, solving the mystery is going to be difficult since it plays an important role in the death of his mother Kiyone.

Tenchi is not the protagonist in the story. The protagonist happens to be Tenchi’s first fiancee Hotaru Masaki. Hotaru Masaki is still a granddaughter of the present Head of the Tatsuki House. Except for a couple of visits to the planet Jurai, Hotaru had live most of her life on Earth to date. Hotaru happens to be a female descendant of Katsuhito’s first wife Kasumi Maskai. Also, she he happens to be of Kiriko’s first cousins.

Hotaru and Tenchi do know that traveling back to time is going to be tricky. They are not going to be alone. Noike and one of Hotaru’s male friends are coming with Tenchi and Hotaru. The timeline for the trip is between April and November. The year is likely 1925.

As part of the plans, Hotaru is pretending to be a girl who is slightly frail. Hotaru has to travel to a town located outside Kurashiki City Japan. The town happens to be the one next to the Masaki Shrine. Hotaru is staying at Hotaru Manor as a part of the recovery from her illness. Despite of being slightly frail, Hotaru is healthy enough to enjoy her favorite exercise, Swimming. Tenchi and Noike are pretending to be two of Hotaru’s servants.

Hotaru, Noike, Tenchi, and Hotaru’s male friend know that they can’t avoid any form of contact with people like Tenchi’s sister Tennyo and Katsuhito. Tenchi’s oldest sisters Tennyo and Ami are staying at Hotaru Manor. Both sisters play a part in the mystery. Since Tennyo and Ami are staying at Hotaru Manor, Tenchi and the other know that they will be running into Tenchi’s own parents and Hotaru’s own parents.

The plot of my story follows the parallel world theory. The events which play leading up to Kiyone’s death are somewhat familiar to the events of Tenchi: Universe, and the first Tenchi movie.

Kiyofacepalm1

susano
      Since there is the news of OVA 4 being made, most of my ideals for OVA 4 are going to be limited to fanfiction, Still, I am curious over what will be in the new series. I have written a list of what I am expecting in the new series. Only the number of episodes and the arcs which I want will not happen.

– The number of episodes to be fourteen.

– Two arcs

– Tenchi becoming a ronin.

– Some of Tenchi’s feelings for Ryoko and Ayeka are becoming intimate.

– The series’s main villian being a member of the Airai,

– Tenchi meeting Mihoshi’s father General Nakita Kuramitsu.

– The reasons for Nakita’s visit to Earth are to meet Tenchi, and to formally inform Tenchi that the Kuramitsu Family Council has agreed to allowing him to become Mihoshi’s fiance.

– Funaho and Misaki making their plan visit to Earth. Both have some news which will suprised Katsuhito, Ayeka, and Sasami.

– The name of the town near the Masaki Shrine and Residence finally being given.

– Azusa allowing Tenchi to become Ayeka’s and Sasami’s fiance under some specific conditions.

– One of Azusa’s conditions for Tenchi is naming Ayeka’s and his first son after Azusa’s father Kazuki.

picard1 Tenchismile

susano
      OVA 4 is finally being release. It is going to have a total of four episodes. I do wished that OVA 4 had the typical six episodes and the special one. The special could have focus on Tenchi focusing on the past before a special day in his life. The special day can either be Tenchi’s wedding or the birth of one of his first children.

I am starting to wish that there is a spinoff of the Tenchi Muyo Series which is sort of a reboot. I will call the series TENCHI MUYO: ANOTHER UNIVERSE or TM:AM. TM:AU starts out with Tenchi going to school on the first day of a new school year. Tenchi will entering high school at the age of 15. Tenchi has two female best friends. The name of his best friends are Ryoko and Hotaru. Hotaru is one of Tenchi’s cousins. Ryoko is the only daughter of Washu Habuki. Washu Habuki is one of the galaxy’s greatest scientists. Her reasons for being on Earth are rather different from WAshu from the OVA series. Oddly TM:AU”S Washu has a lot more in common with the Chousin Washu.

TM:AU will include Kiyone and Miihsohi. Kiyone is a Gallaxy Police officer who was born on Earth. Her parents and her family are Terrans. Terrans are people who are either born on Earth, or descended from a Terran who was an immigrant.

Mihoshi is a member of the Kuramitsu Family. She is not totally like her Universe and Ryo-Ohki counterparts. Strangely often as a result of her behavior and lifestyle, Mihoshi will seem to be an airhead. Mihoshi has a carefree view of life. As a Galay Police Officer, Mihoshi is very good at her job. Often, some people will mistaken Mihoshi to be like her Universe’s and Ryo-Ohki counterparts. She will often act as an airhead as an act of deception.

Kiyone and Mihsohi have been assigned to be two of the bodyguards of Jurai’s Princess Ayeka Masaki Jurai. Ayeka Maski Jurai is one of the girls who is betrothed to Tenchi. Kiyone finds her duties as one of Ayeka’s bodyguards hard to accept since she will have to become a high school student. Mihoshi will become a physical ed. teacher at the high school where Tenchi, Hotaru, Ayeka, and Ryoko are attending.

For Sasami, she comes to Earth with her sister Ayeka. Sasami is working for Washu on a simple study of Japanese Elementry’s schools. Sasami will treat Tenchi as a big brother. There is a chance that Sasami will develop strong feelings for Tenchi. Ayeka is coming to Earth to help Washu in a study of high school life in Japan. Ayeka does have strong feelings for Tenchi. She will become Ryoko’s rival for Tenchi’s affections.

TENCHI MUYO: ANOTHER UNIVERSE is one of my fanfiction ideals. Its primary plot focus around Contact. The type of contact is going to be a result of an accident. Oddly in the first chapters, Tenchi finds himself in the situation which causes Earth to learn of the Galactic Union much earlier than expected. Kiyone, Ryoko and Ayeka likley find themselves becoming locadols. Locadols are local idols. Oddy, the three find themselves becoming national known idols.

Kiyofacepalm1 Tenchismile kain2-1

Yeah four episodes does seem a bit short.
      SnowQueen

susano wrote:

Kiyone, Ryoko and Ayeka likley find themselves becoming locadols. Locadols are local idols. Oddy, the three find themselves becoming national known idols.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/200/acb.jpg" />

That idea is: soawesome1

(btw: I finally saw the episode of Futurama where that whole meme began.)

Viewing 203 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.