.hack

Forums Off Topic Other Anime .hack

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-18/funimation-adds-4-.hack-anime

Discussion pertaining to the .hack series, including: Sign, Liminality, Roots, Legend of the Twilight and others, as well as the games. Please no spam/double posting.

It was just announced that Funimation acquired the rights to a lot of the .hack// titles I listed above. Wonder how they’ll treat it… If you’re a fan of Sword Art Online, then do watch .hack//sign, as it has…. some… similarities and is just a great series. I was a big fan of it when I saw it years back, and have since borrowed my friend’s boxset. Maybe this means I can get my own… or trade her hehe. I didn’t really watch the other series, Liminality (not part of the deal) was a mini-series with amazing English dubwork (Sherry Lynn, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn) and Sign is fantastic as well. I’ve played bits and pieces of the games, and want to acquire used copies of said games.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43O7Dyd3QtU[/BBvideo]

Comments, speculation and memories?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Replies
      I loved both .hack//sign and .hack//legend of the twilight bracelet when they ran on toonami years ago.

The great Amanda Winn Lee played Mimiru in sign,and this was after I had seen Geneshaft on Anime Unleashed on what was then Techtv,so I immediately identified her with Mika Seito. :D

As it goes I do have one volume of Bandai’s .hack//sign.

Overall my favorite characters would have to be Mimiru,Bear and Tsukasa.

I think I liked Tsukasa the most as their character was the most… intriguing, seeing as they were not physically connected to The World, but more psychologically and psychically connected. If ANYTHING, though, I’d like to see FUNi team up with Namco-Bandai games and have HD remasters or a PSN release of the original quadrilogy, complete with the OAVs that tied into it.
      WisperG
      I’m seeing alot of love for this series here, and I don’t want to be a party pooper but I’ll go ahead and share my mixed opinion on the franchise.

I don’t exactly hate .hack, but I was never really a big fan. I played the original game and liked it enough (though I never did finish it). I didn’t make it all the way through the bonus OVA either. It bored me, for some reason. I watched Sign, and I really liked it for awhile, but the ending just completely killed it for me. I really, really hated that ending. Thats basically what killed my interest in the whole franchise. Thats why I didn’t finish the first game, why I never checked out the GU games, and why I never really bothered with any of the other anime or manga. I did watch afew episodes of Roots on Cartoon Network afterwards, but it never really caught my interest.

However, now that afew years have gone by I’ve started to regret not at least trying the GU games before they went OOP and used prices skyrocketed. Would anyone recommend those? Or the GU movies, now that FUNi has them? For that matter, I wouldn’t mind giving the original games another shot either, if they were to get an HD collection. But I think I’m just… done trying to get into most of the anime. I refuse to watch Sign again, and I’m still iffy on Roots, but I guess I wouldn’t be against trying some of those other spinoffs/movies.

WisperG wrote:

I’m seeing alot of love for this series here, and I don’t want to be a party pooper but I’ll go ahead and share my mixed opinion on the franchise.

I don’t exactly hate .hack, but I was never really a big fan. I played the original game and liked it enough (though I never did finish it). I didn’t make it all the way through the bonus OVA either. It bored me, for some reason. I watched Sign, and I really liked it for awhile, but the ending just completely killed it for me. I really, really hated that ending. Thats basically what killed my interest in the whole franchise. Thats why I didn’t finish the first game, why I never checked out the GU games, and why I never really bothered with any of the other anime or manga. I did watch afew episodes of Roots on Cartoon Network afterwards, but it never really caught my interest.

However, now that afew years have gone by I’ve started to regret not at least trying the GU games before they went OOP and used prices skyrocketed. Would anyone recommend those? Or the GU movies, now that FUNi has them? For that matter, I wouldn’t mind giving the original games another shot either, if they were to get an HD collection. But I think I’m just… done trying to get into most of the anime. I refuse to watch Sign again, and I’m still iffy on Roots, but I guess I wouldn’t be against trying some of those other spinoffs/movies.

Come on- it might’ve been over your head at the time, as the initial series itself is more of a look into why it is some people decide to basically dive their entire beings into online characters in a digital world constructed as a form of amusement.

WisperG
      Oh, I definitely understood all that. Thats one of the parts about it that I really liked. I just didn’t like the yuri pairing. Not really a yuri/yaoi fan. I admit, I probably wouldn’t care as much now if I were to go back and watch it again, but back when I was in high school that was a huge turnoff.
      When did Cartoon Network air roots?I know they aired both sign and legend of the twilight bracelet but didn’t know they aired anything else .hack related.And speaking of legend,I’ve seen the manga around but never

bothered to buy it.Also has anyone ever read the novels,if so were they any good?

WisperG

mitsuki lover wrote:

When did Cartoon Network air roots?I know they aired both sign and legend of the twilight bracelet but didn’t know they aired anything else .hack related.And speaking of legend,I’ve seen the manga around but never

bothered to buy it.Also has anyone ever read the novels,if so were they any good?

They didn’t air Twilight. Sign was part of Toonami (as well as the short-lived SVES block), but they gave Roots the short end of the stick. It aired in 2006-2007 at like 5AM. I had to get up REALLY early to watch it.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

They didn’t air Twilight.

Yeah, they did.

It aired at 1 AM Friday nights (Saturday morning) in 2004.

WisperG wrote:

Oh, I definitely understood all that. Thats one of the parts about it that I really liked. I just didn’t like the yuri pairing. Not really a yuri/yaoi fan. I admit, I probably wouldn’t care as much now if I were to go back and watch it again, but back when I was in high school that was a huge turnoff.

Ah, but I thought you would’ve seen that considering that they were somewhat implying that Tsukasa may not have been a guy for a bit before that point.

Which then brings me to this- what about the supposed incestuous relationship in Legend of the Twilight?

I think you have to remember that in the Real World they were living apart because of their parents’ divorce.

It might have had an effect on their relationship in the World.

On the other hand what about the way Twilight seems to turn almost into a harem comedy?

mitsuki lover wrote:

I think you have to remember that in the Real World they were living apart because of their parents’ divorce.

It might have had an effect on their relationship in the World.

On the other hand what about the way Twilight seems to turn almost into a harem comedy?

Pretty hilarious, since it was Shugo’s sister doing most of the cock blocking.

WisperG

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

WisperG wrote:

Ah, but I thought you would’ve seen that considering that they were somewhat implying that Tsukasa may not have been a guy for a bit before that point.

Which then brings me to this- what about the supposed incestuous relationship in Legend of the Twilight?

Naw, I saw Tsukasa being a girl coming from awhile away. Now, its been years since I’ve seen it, but they actually did hook up at the end right? Or it was at least implied? Thats what caught me off guard at the time. I was expecting an awkward “Oh. You’re a girl too…” kinda scene. But that didn’t really happen.

I actually haven’t seen LotT, and wasn’t aware it had implied incest. My interest in it has just dropped slightly… isawitplz

Nobuyuki wrote:

WisperG wrote:

They didn’t air Twilight.

Yeah, they did.

It aired at 1 AM Friday nights (Saturday morning) in 2004.

Well, I stand corrected :D

I had skimmed CN’s program list on Wikipedia beforehand. Seems that page could do for an update 😉

WisperG wrote:

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

WisperG wrote:

Naw, I saw Tsukasa being a girl coming from awhile away. Now, its been years since I’ve seen it, but they actually did hook up at the end right? Or it was at least implied? Thats what caught me off guard at the time. I was expecting an awkward “Oh. You’re a girl too…” kinda scene. But that didn’t really happen.

I actually haven’t seen LotT, and wasn’t aware it had implied incest. My interest in it has just dropped slightly… isawitplz

Which makes me want to question your Tenchi fandom… but we ALL know which girl wins it there.

Still, incest-like relations aside, ‘Legend of the Twilight’ is a fun little series to watch.

Yes,but the art and animation styles are so different from sign that you have to get used to them a bit at first if you come to it directly after watching sign.

Oh…and the fun thing early on about legend is that Rena always reads the manual but Shugo doesn’t so he’s always having problems.

WisperG

Makoto_Mizuhara wrote:

WisperG wrote:

Which makes me want to question your Tenchi fandom… but we ALL know which girl wins it there.

Still, incest-like relations aside, ‘Legend of the Twilight’ is a fun little series to watch.

Yeah, Ryoko wins, of course :Cheeks:

But seriously, I’m not really a fan of the harem hookup from Kajishima’s dojinshi (although Ayeka and Sasami being related to Tenchi never bugged me very much, for some reason). Which is why I don’t really mind that that part of the story hasn’t seen an anime adaptation (yet…)

Also, I have heard Twilight is a pretty fun show before. So I do still plan to watch it once FUNi spits out their DVD release.

The early parts are the most hilarious but it does get a bit more serious toward the later parts.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.