Homecomings, a fan fiction project

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction Homecomings, a fan fiction project

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    Submitted for your consideration, Homecomings is a Tenchi fan fiction project that I’ve been progressing in fits and starts since my undergraduate days. It is a sequel to my first story Dark Energy Trilogy, though I am attempting to write Homecomings to be accessible without prior knowledge of its predecessor. We’ll see if that works. ^^;

For those interested, I maintain a wiki for my fan fiction projects, where you can read summaries and notes for each story, as well as view some fan art I’ve made through the process. I apologize in advance that it is still very incomplete. ^^;

The concept for the project is to follow three households in Tenchi Universe following a climactic battle, which forced “The Choice”. Likely the most familiar, Homecomings: Masaki is set in Okayama Japan in the late ’90s and focuses primarily on the Masaki household. Main characters include the following.

• 1) Tenchi and Ryoko, who have begun growing intimate,

2) Nagi, who has moved into the home to train with Katsuhito,

3) Sasami, who is alone after Ayeka’s departure.

• In parallel, Homecomings: Jurai follows Ayeka to Jurai, where she comes to grips with “The Choice”, as well as her own past and future. Major players here are as follows.

• 1) Ayeka, who struggles with a broken heart and broken memories,

2) Sagami and Ramia, both friends and supporters of Ayeka in this transition,

3) Azaka and Kamidake, the two knights of legend who guard and aid the princess.

• There will be a third parallel story, which will focus on some original characters, but it has not begun as I have some other stories to complete first. ^^;

At present, I have the Prologue and Chapter 1 of both Masaki and Jurai completed and am writing Chapter 2 of each. The previous chapters can be accessed readily on FF.net and my personal site, which features PDF versions of each. The current progress in Chapter 2 is available on DeviantArt, though I could post snippets here as well if interest exists.

I hope you enjoy reading these works as I have enjoyed writing them. ^^v Please feel free to comment and critique if you find something you like or dislike. ^_^

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Replies
      Kiyoka
      Mmm!

I simply planned to read a fraction of the latest one you posted, but I felt intrigued by it. It was not the normal love story, but something darker, something that broke the peace. I felt curious to read more. My eyes drifted along the torrent of words. I saw no stumbling. The words flowed as they should.

One particular sentence caught my eye. “Her face was twisted with a sick glee that was far outside her character to possess.” Very interesting, I will put that in my note file that houses inspirational sentences for my story!

Good job, I’ll read the rest in order this time!

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Thanks for the comments. ^^V I hope you enjoy what preceded it as well.

Yes, something very dark did indeed happen that broke the peace. 😈 You can probably see why I had interest in your Evil Kiyone and the similarity to my Dark Ayeka. ^_-

I also shift some of the thanks to my editor. ^^v She keeps me in line when I slip up. ^-^;

As to your Tenchi Muyo! in Love 3, I’ve slated some time to read it on Saturday. ^^v

evilpii
      Participant
      none

Kiyoka wrote:

It was not the normal love story, but something darker, something that broke the peace.

Speaking of that, the last segment for Homecomings: Masaki speaks to the other side of the coin. ^^

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      After much delay, the third segment of Homecomings: Jurai Chapter 2 is complete. ^^v At present, I expect to start writing the next segment tomorrow. m/
      evilpii
      Participant
      none
      My editress has replied, and Part 4 of Homecomings: Jurai Chapter 2 has now been completed. ^^v

At present, one segment remains for Homecomings: Jurai Chapter 2 to conclude the chapter, and the introductory arc. It should be elementary to write, once I start. ^^; I should begin work on it soon.

As to Homecomings: Masaki Chapter 2, I’ve been debating inserting a scene for either Washu or Sasami before the climax of the chapter between Ryoko and Nagi. Part of me thinks it would detract from the momentum of the chapter, but then again, that might be needed. If I don’t add this segment, only one segment remains, and this chapter too will be finished. Decisions, decisions… ^^;;

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      For those who have been waiting, here is the duel between Ryoko and Nagi. ^^V I hope you all enjoy the climax of the chapter. The denouement has already been written and is awaiting editing. How long before Chapter 2 of Homecomings: Jurai is completed, and Chapter 3 of both begins? :Tenchismile:
      evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Two updates?! Within 24 hours?! What insanity is this?! o.o;

Officially, Chapter 2 of Homecomings: Masaki is complete and posted for consumption. ^.^V The finale includes a tender moment between Tenchi and Ryoko, which I expect to have some consequences by the end of the next two chapters. ^_-

For those who would like to see the entire chapter, the FF.net URL is a quick way, but I also have a bookmarked PDF document available as well. ^^v

Meanwhile, Chapter 2 of Homecomings: Jurai lacks a conclusion. I should fix that. />_>” title=”>_>” class=”bbcode_smiley” /></r></div>

</div>
    </div>
    </div>
</div></li>
<li>
<div id=

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      After five months, Chapter 2 of Homecomings: Jurai is now completed. ^^V This chapter concludes with some severe thickening of Ayeka’s story and a brief discussion between the knights. I hope you all enjoy. ^^VV

Since I’m currently in transit to a conference, I will not be able to post the PDF version until I return in a week. ^^; However, I have already started work on Chapter 3. ^^V In between the mathematics, I’ll be hammering out new segments and post them as they get approved. ^^v

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      Now, Chapter 3 has begun. [nagi1]

For Homecomings: Masaki, we have a private moment between Tenchi and Ryoko. I tried to keep this tasteful, and hope I managed to succeed. bth_images13-1

For Homecomings: Jurai, Ayeka’s troubles from Inheritance are reviewed, mostly from her and Ryu-Oh’s point of view. Yes, Ryu-Oh becomes a focus. bth_Ayeka

I hope you all enjoy. ^^V

evilpii
      Participant
      none

evilpii wrote:

Since I’m currently in transit to a conference, I will not be able to post the PDF version until I return in a week. ^^;

And now, the PDF version of Homecomings: Jurai Chapter 2. ^_^V

evilpii
      Participant
      none
      After a rather long time, I have an update! ^^v I have been writing and speculating on Yosho’s life, as well as that of his tree Funaho, which generated a rather long segment. o.o; So long was this that I had to cut it into two segments to post on Deviantart. O.o;;

• Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Part 2a (Funaho’s story)

• Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Part 2b (Yosho’s story)
    • For those who are not familiar with Homecomings, worry not. While these segments do tie into my overarching story, they only depend on the what is said in Universe continuity and can be read independently. ^^V I hope you all enjoy. ^^VV

segaman4
    yes! updates,will definitly read!
    ookamilord
    Participant
    i enjoyed masaki and at times i felt like a movie or some new episodes to the series. neat idea on nagi and ryoko’s history. cant wait to start on jurai right after i get rid of this migraine. lol
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

ookamilord wrote:

i enjoyed masaki and at times i felt like a movie or some new episodes to the series. neat idea on nagi and ryoko’s history. cant wait to start on jurai right after i get rid of this migraine. lol

Thanks for reading. ^^v I still give a shoutout to my former coauthor for the idea of making Ryoko and Nagi sisters. Admittedly, I did lift a lot of motifs from the series proper, particularly the tone of TMiL2. I’m glad that this story seems successfully in-line with the main series. Tenchismile

I’m eager to hear your thoughts on Jurai. ^^v

ookamilord
    Participant
    i enjoyed it even though i wanted to finish it a few days ago. lol what can you do when its a time for cleaning. i like the aspect of a dark inner self it feels like a fighter game in a way. with the whole mental battle it also felt like a spirit quest in many ways.
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

ookamilord wrote:

i like the aspect of a dark inner self it feels like a fighter game in a way.

I do really like The King of Fighters Orochi Saga (KoF 96-97), so I likely drew from it subconsciously. blush1

The dark persona serves two main purposes. First, it is an echo of the invading entity that threatened to consume her in Dark Energy Trilogy. Facing who she was in those few hours serves as her dealing with the trauma done to her psyche. Second, it is a mental block to her full potential. Personally, I have always believed that Ayeka has held herself back. In the series, we see her fight with Ryoko often, and the two always seem to be tied. However, when Ayeka faced Kagato in Universe episode 25, Kagato says that Ayeka “finally evoked Jurai’s power”, as if she never really had. If Ayeka had not really been using Jurai’s power, what was stopping her? Much like Tenchi in the OVA, I theorize that Ayeka is preventing herself mentally, mostly likely due to her royal training or some other trauma.

ookamilord wrote:

with the whole mental battle it also felt like a spirit quest in many ways.

A “spirit quest” is probably the best way to describe Ayeka’s journey in Jurai. My interpretation of Universe‘s conclusion is that Ayeka vacated the throne to be with Tenchi on Earth. What becomes of her then if Tenchi does not choose her? She always defined herself as “the crown princess of planet Jurai”. What is she without that title or the prospect of Tenchi’s affections? Essentially, who is “Ayeka” without reference to Jurai or Tenchi?

I also admit to being inspired heavily by Literary Eagle’s Confess to You, where Ayeka goes on a harrowing journey to find herself. If you want a very good Tenchi Muyo! story, I would read this one. Lita is an excellent author, and you will get the FEELS. soawesome1

ookamilord
    Participant
    neat the whole reason i said spirit quest of sorts is because depending on what tribe depends of what the purpose is. lol but the one ayeka went thru sound more like the enlightenment and acceptance to find who you are. i went on a quest like that but mine was more of a spirit guide/animal more than what i said up top. lol
    evilpii
    Participant
    none

ookamilord wrote:

but the one ayeka went thru sound more like the enlightenment and acceptance to find who you are.

I would certainly agree with this. mmhmm1

ookamilord wrote:

i went on a quest like that but mine was more of a spirit guide/animal more than what i said up top. lol

That must have been a hell of an experience. Do you think my interpretation here does the real thing justice?

ookamilord
    Participant
    i wouldnt know about justice after all each tribe has different customs beliefs and mytho’s. writing a report of this was a pain but i would say you got it pretty close. but i could be wrong im not very experience on the spirit aspect i kinda stepped away from it for a few years due to low self esteem. lol
    evilpii
    Participant
    none
    In honor of the forum’s birthday, here is a segment of passing the torch from one generation to the next. ^^v

Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Part 3

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    How would you react to Ayeka’s plight, watching her systematically torn down, unable to help her?

Homecomings: Jurai – Chapter 3, Part 2

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    This segment is a character study of the knight Kamidake after his resurrection in the modern era. Sadly, the segment is longer than DeviantArt allows in a single post and head to be broken into three different posts. ^^;; I apologize for the length. ^^;;;

Nagi and Ryoko’s history

Juraian politics

The Huntress’s Heart

Primarily, this is a summary of his involvement in Tenchi Muyo! Reunion, but it is written from the crimson knight’s point of view, considering heavily his opinions and thoughts on the events. This is in contrast to the opening of Homecomings: Masaki Chapter 2, which is Nagi’s point of view of the same events.

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    How has Ayeka been under the instruction of the two knights?

Homecomings: Jurai – Chapter 3, Part 4

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    One does wonder how Ramia would react to Ayeka’s fall. gendo1

Homecomings: Jurai – Chapter 3, Part 5

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Some lessons are hard to learn, even for a princess of Jurai.

Homecomings: Jurai – Chapter 3, Part 6

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    So, who wants to heist some Juraian relics? badass1

Homecomings: Jurai – Chapter 3, Part 7

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Ayeka confronts herself, all the darkness and trouble throughout her life.

Homecomings: Jurai – Chapter 3, Part 8

This segment is one for which I have been building the entirety of Homecomings: Jurai, and it signifies the end of the first major story arc for the violet-tressed princess. In particular, this is the end of Chapter 3, so I now compile the Prologue and first three chapters into a single document. For those who want Ayeka’s entire ride so far, here is a PDF document of everything for Homecomings: Jurai up to current.

Homecomings: Jurai – Prologue, Chapters 1-3

Also, for those who like leaving comments, the story up to current is also available on FanFiction.net at the URL below.

Homecomings: Jurai – FanFiction.net

I hope you all enjoy Ayeka’s journey to this point. I am certainly not finished with her, but this is a good stopping point for a while. kiyonesmile1

Meanwhile, I believe it is time to get some closure for Homecomings: Masaki as well. My next mission will be to complete Chapter 3 of Homecomings: Masaki, which lacks about three more segments. Let’s see what will come of it. butts1

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Being a teenager is awkward, even for the younger princess of Jurai.

Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Part 4

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    When should another culture be approached? Should one meddle in their development? Here, Washu and her colleague Naja continue to debate these questions, and their own biases.

Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Part 5

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Part 6

Homecomings: Masaki – Chapter 3, Complete

Quote:

Ryua Ryoko sat at the edge of the bed, taking long, deep breaths. She straightened her back, her amber eyes focusing onto the wall before her. Distantly, she thanked Tenchi’s grandfather for teaching her those breathing techniques when another wave of nausea smashed into her gut. She gagged, keeping her mouth shut as she tried to breathe through her nose.

During that ill moment, she wondered if she had eaten a bad piece of sushi, perhaps had caught a bug, or was just anxious. She had been worrying about going to Jurai, seeing Ayeka again.

As the feeling passed, she glanced back to Tenchi, who still slept beneath the sheets. Since their relationship started, she had learned that little could wake him, short of maybe a pirate raid. Half of her was glad that he would not see her this way, sick, weak. Ever since she left the Ryoan pirate guilds, she had always been alone, just her and Ryo-Ohki against the universe. Surviving numerous daring heists and vile double-crosses, she had constructed her proud persona of bravado, learning to cheat and deceive to get her way. In the pirate’s life, weakness was not an option.

At the same time, the other side of her wanted him to see her, to comfort her, to care for her. The affection that burned bright and hot in the depths of her chest wanted to be close to him, to be happy with him, to be honest with him. She was no longer alone. She did not have to cheat or deceive him. He would stand with her because he loved her, not because of what she could do for him.

Moments like this one brought the conflict to the surface, the young brigand she had been versus the wiser woman she was becoming.

But, she asked herself, who am I becoming?

A chunk of Ryoko’s soul would always be the feared space pirate. That title was forever tattooed into her karma, and while she knew it would cause people to question her loyalties, she would never regret it. In every battle, she tapped that part of her spirit, the viciousness and ferocity only learned from a misspent youth and fighting for every coin she took.

Yet, piracy was only half of the legacy laid before her. Her father was the dread pirate Ten Akuno, but her mother was Ryua Ryoshu, a woman of both intelligence and passion. Ryoko had heard rumors of her mother’s younger days, helping Akuno to unify the Ryoan pirate guilds, scheming against the Matronic Temple, against her own family. However, the cyan-maned woman never saw that side of her mother, instead only seeing her as the teacher of the guild’s children and orphans.

Ryoko smiled to herself. I wonder what Mom would think of me now.

Another wave of nausea suddenly struck her. Covering her mouth, she rushed out of the bedroom and into the nearby bathroom. Automatically, the lights gently brightened around her as she rested her hands on either side of the sink basin, her body convulsing, wanting to purge the empty contents of her stomach.

As the queasy feeling passed, Ryoko calmed her pounding heart with several deep breaths. Staring down at the sink, her feline eyes traced the grain of the Juraian wood used to construct the fixture. Most days, she forgot that her lover was descended from Juraian nobility. In being with him, she could be regarded as his consort, perhaps even a princess.

The Ryoan woman chuckled to herself. God, Ayeka would love that! Me, a princess of Jurai!

Yet, Tenchi did not dress or act like an arrogant, haughty royal prince. Like his grandfather before him, he has long since tossed that responsibility away, preferring to stay the normal and kind person he has always been.

And besides, she admitted, what the hell do I know about being a princess?

Ryoko did love lounging around the Masaki estate, whether napping in the rafters or sleeping spooned with Tenchi. Of all the places she has lived through her travels in the stars, this place felt the most comfortable, the most familiar, the most right. She enjoyed dancing with him, talking with him, even sparring with him. As she thought about the future, she could picture herself nowhere else but at Tenchi’s side.

Feeling better, the ex-pirate waved her hands under the faucet, spurring it to pour water into her hands. Splashing the liquid in her face, she woke herself up more and helped push that vile digestive nonsense out of her mind. After rubbing her face with her hands for a few seconds, she took a towel from the counter and dried her face.

Yet, as she looked into the mirror, she saw another person standing in the shadows behind her. There stood her half-sister, Jurai Nagi, wordlessly gazing back at her. Ryoko could see a conflict in her sibling’s eyes, but she could not recognize it right away.

“What?” the cyan-maned Ryoan asked. “What’s the problem?”

“Sick,” Nagi asked rhetorically, “this early in the morning?”

The former pirate had heard plenty of different tones from the huntress’s words in their various exchanges, mostly negative. However, her inflection was new, not completely negative but also not really positive. Likewise, her expression was cryptic, confused, unsure.

Nevertheless, this was the feared bounty hunter, so Ryoko replied nonchalantly as she usually would.

“Yeah. What about it?”

At this, Nagi’s brows furrowed into a scowl, her eyes dancing with a volatile blend of emotions, before storming away without a word. Standing there in the washroom, Ryoko blinked as she considering Nagi’s reaction. True, the elder sister had snared the younger into this trip to Jurai, but she had been more civil a week ago.

Even then, Ryoko wondered, why would me being sick this morning set… her…?

And, the realization seeped into the cyan-maned woman’s thoughts. Her amber eyes widened as Nagi’s implication became increasingly more obvious, a fact that if true, would change everything. Stunned into silence, Ryoko’s eyes slid toward the floor as she leaned against the nearby wall. The fun joy she had been enjoying slipped away, exchanged by something far different.

Fear.

She never planned this. She had always avoided it, this greatest responsibility of all. Now, the prospect weighed heavily on her heart.

As a tear rolled down from her eye, her heart also jumped at the possibility. If true, this would be part of Tenchi, and part of her, joining them forever.

Hopes and worries started to fill her head as she wrapped her arms around herself and turned to look into the mirror again. She now could see the expression Nagi wore a few moments ago in her own: fear, worry, uncertainty, but hope as well.

Then, she shook her head.

You don’t know anything, she chided herself. Hell, she doesn’t know anything. Don’t get worked up because of Nagi’s suspicions. Besides, she’s got plenty of mother issues.

As she walked back to the bedroom and slid back into Tenchi’s arms, she consoled her lingering worries as misplaced speculation. However, as she laid their in her beloved’s embrace, her mind continued to play with the notion while her mind returned to dreams of what may become of them.

Mic drop. gendo1

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    Now that I am back at my writing station, I have amended the compilation PDF of Homecomings: Masaki with the new third chapter. This file should allow ease of reading for the work to current. I hope you enjoy. Tenchismile

Homecomings: Masaki – Prologue, Chapters 1-3

Surveying the two stories at present, both are at a good stopping point, so I will be taking a break from them to work on other projects. In particular, I hope to have a first chapter of a new (mostly) unrelated Tenchi project out in the next two weeks. Let’s see how that goes. blush1

evilpii
    Participant
    none
    These past few months have been a roller coaster of emotions and work, but I am still here. blush1 Writing as continued, but slowly. I have gotten a research article written and submitted for publication, but I hope to return to story some time after the semester ends. fyeah1

For the moment, I would like to drop a snippet from the end of Homecomings: Jurai. Enjoy. gendo1

Quote:

And now, as before, Ayeka was bathed in azure light.

The clasps holding her hair in place were burned away as a wave of power coasted through her, infusing her once more with her birthright. However, Jurai’s might was far more intense. So much power flowed through her that it sparked down her mane of hair, shifting its natural violet color to azure, the color of the goddess herself. Her hair curled and flowed around her, a shimmering ocean as her locks fanned behind her. The princess’s eyes widened as she could feel the immense force at her command, overwhelmed.

“Awaken at last, Princess Jurai Ayeka,” Tsunami had said to her, “daughter of Jurai.”

Holding her side, Dark Ayeka spun back to her counterpart and stood in awe at the sight she beheld, Jurai Ayeka once more empowered. The thunderheads above were parted by her transformation, shining sunlight down upon the first daughter of the last great emperor of Jurai. Her hair glistened in the bright rays, curling around her face as she hung her head, taking a deep breath to calm herself, to adjust to this new might surging through her. Her mane cascaded down her shoulders and back while she listened and her distant words from the lingering memory.

“As your powers grew,” Tsunami had told the beast, “so did hers. As you tortured cruelly, she endured nobly.”

“Sasami…” Ayeka whispered, “… what do you…?”

“It’s a power you never wanted,” Dark Ayeka declared, “that you don’t deserve. You pushed it on me just like all these damned memories, another piece of psychic refuse.”

“And, I’m sorry that I did,” the lady answered, raising her ruby eyes to meet those of her opponent. “This is my responsibility, as are you and all you represent.”

The twisted vision shook her head gravely. “No one can fully accept what they are, not even a Juraian princess. You couldn’t live with what you really are.”

Sliding into a defensive stance, Ayeka replied, “I aim to see for myself.”

The black-clad woman raised her hands at her side, summoning her scarlet energies to her palms. Her onyx mini-guardians gonged into existence, encircling her while the thorned tiara on her brow blazed hotly and fiercely.

“I am everything you have denied yourself, Jurai Ayeka,” she vehemently declared, “all your anger, passion, hate, jealousy, and power. You can’t defeat me.”

As Dark Ayeka began to levitate from the ground, the azure-haired princess manifested her own tan-colored mini-guardians, each topped with a simple Juraiji for “guard”. A gentle blue aura enveloped her while she retorted, “We shall see, won’t we?”

• Viewing 31 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.