How did you rediscover Tenchi?

Forums Getting Started Welcoming Forum How did you rediscover Tenchi?

• This topic is empty.
    I owe my rediscovering of Tenchi Muyo to one person. Petrea Burchard. My first encounter with tenchi came in the year 2000, when i was just 10 years old. I was a big fan of DBZ at the time and would go home from school and watch it on toonami everyday after i finished with my homework. One particular day I came home and set about my daily routine. I finished my homework early that day and flipped over to cartoon network and I remember it was the final episode of tenchi universe, and i just remember hearing ryokos beautiful voice and thats what stuck with me for all these years. It was about 8 months ago when i was thinking to myself…”what was that show that used to be on toonami?” I didnt remember the name of it i just remembered Ryoko, so a quick google search for ryoko reignited my nostalgia. It was her voice that I remembered after all these years, so i started watching the show from the beginning. I started with universe and i fell absolutely in love with the characters and the show itself. Now as an adult I can proudly say that although im not the biggest anime fan in the world, I am a huge Tenchi Muyo fan and i owe it all to you Ms. Burchard…We’re all here for our love and appreciation of this amazing series, please share your story! :D
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Replies
      julia
      Aw :D

My “great rediscovering” happened a couple years after I saw it on Toonami xD I saw it originally on there like many others, but one day I was at the library… I had to be like, 9 or 10 perhaps? I got it on VHS tape at the library and was like OH YEAH THIS IS THAT SHOW I LIKE WHERE ALL THE GIRLS LIKE THE ONE GUY xD but it had been a little while since I had seen it (not that long, though, since I was still p young xD). and then it just always stuck with me and I never took any big breaks from it after that *^^*

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      “Rediscover” is the wrong word for me ;) .
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none

Nobuyuki wrote:

“Rediscover” is the wrong word for me ;) .

Indeed, you are one of the Great Old Ones from the Before Times 😆

Anyway, my story is very similar to those already given above. I watched Tenchi when it first came on Toonami in 2000. I was very lucky, actually, that it premiered on TV that year, because that was the year my parents finally got satellite to follow the election, and before we just had local TV. Anyhow, Tenchi rapidly became my favorite show throughout my early and middle elementary school years. Unfortunately, I dropped out of anime watching around 2003-4 when they started taking all my favorites off Toonami, and I all but forgot about Tenchi. It got so bad that literally the ONLY things I could remember is that my favorite character had a spaceship that turned into a cat thing, and that in the last episode they cut the bad guy’s ship in half (Kagato, OVA episode 6). Through the years I was always haunted by the lingering memories of that great show of my childhood, but I never got around to actually seeking it out.

Flash forward to Thanksgiving weekend in 2011. I was in the middle of a semester abroad in Glasgow, Scotland, and I was feeling quite homesick and nostalgic. I was once again bothered by the nagging tug on my memory and FINALLY decided to throw the only two things I could remember about the show into google and see what I came up with. Five minutes later I found myself watching the first episode of Tenchi Universe on this forum’s old YT channel. It was an extraordinary moment in my life! It was like the floodgates in my mind had suddenly opened! Within the first few seconds of watching that opening I remembered every little detail of the show that had stubbornly defied my memory for almost a decade. Over the next few weeks and months I devoured every single piece of Tenchi material I could find on the internet, until finally, desperate for more and enticed by warmth and energy of this forum I finally joined up here and it’s been a whirlwind of discovery and excitement ever since!

Well, as they say down here: That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! The Tenchi franchise and I have had a wild ride so far, and I hope it continues for a long time to come!

Crazed
      none
      My rediscovery of Tenchi happened once again through Toonami. Like most people I grew up watching it as a kid (I was only eight or nine when I first saw it.) I’d go home from school, do some homework, and then go straight to the TV to watch Toonami. Once Toonami was on it’s downhill slide I quit watching it and anime all togehter, for the most part. Fast forward to 2012, Toonami gets revived, and one of the shows they end up airing is GXP. I had almost no recollection of Tenchi at that time; which is why the name “Tenchi Muyo” right before GXP didn’t ring any bells. I watched GXP every night until it got to episode 17 when Seina goes to Tenchi’s house and as soon as I saw Ryoko I said to myself “That character looks REALLY familiar, but I don’t remember her sounding like that.” (And yes she was my first anime crush also, lol.) I wound up searching for Tenchi on Youtube and ended up rewatching all of OVA’s 1 & 2, Universe, Tokyo, and I actually saw all three of the movies for the first time at that point. After watching all of that I had the biggest nostalgia trip of my life soawesome1 Then I watched OVA 3 for the first time, and let’s just say I was left very confused once I finished watching it. I frantically searched the internet for more material to try and help me better understand OVA 3. I ended up finding this place and decided to join, and am I ever so glad that I did! I have met truly awesome people whom I now call my friends. The rest, as they say, is history.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I’ve shared my tale many times here, so I won’t hog the mic too long. Same song and dance for many, Toonami originally, dropped it (why?!), found it again via teh internetz.

I’ll just list some people I have to thank for my return:

TLF, cyberdarkwolf, Akawoa, ryokofan21, everyone involved with early Tenchi casts (including first youtube presence at TrippFM), and to save time pretty much everyone involved with this forum (special thanks to a number in particular, “older” and “newer” I think you know who you are). Thank you all!

p.s. good thread idea, I like to hear others’ accounts and I’m sure there are those who wish to share.

Yosho24

wwwwhhhhoooo wrote:

p.s. good thread idea, I like to hear others’ accounts and I’m sure there are those who wish to share.

Thanks Who, I was really surprised that this wasn’t a thread already. I love to hear about how others joined the fandom. From my experience, Tenchi fans form a very close-knit community and its interesting to hear the stories of others who share the same passion. Tenchi has the best fans!

Ryoko_sp
      Hi everyone! I want to share my Tenchi experiencie with you.

Well, I’m from South America and TM! was dubbed in spanish in my country, something I’m really proud of :D

I watched Tench for the first time when I was like 10 years-old but when I trully felt in love with the series was when I was fourteen. I’m not a big anime fan but I absolutly love TM!

(this is like my second post here, I’m really shy when it comes to posting but I love the forum!!!)

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Yosho24 wrote:

Tenchi has the best fans!

I like this. Yes. 8-)

Thank you as well, Ryoko_sp (post as often or rarely as you like). What a coincidence that I was just discussing with some others here that I’m very interested in hearing more about the Spanish dub for Tenchi, and specifically which series aired in Spanish-speaking countries and what it was like watching it (if ever you want to say more, please do, but you don’t have to, of course).

tl;dr: Me gusta a estudiar español, y me encanta Tenchi, por eso Tenchi en español es muy interesante a mi.

Yosho24
      Don’t be shy, you’re among friends here :D You’re from Chile huh? I’m Puerto Rican, I remember watching spanish dubs of voltron on telemundo when i was a little kid and having my older cousins translate for me
      jgzinv
      I uh… poured my 25K word essay on my origins into that “History of Tenchiverse Forums” thread, but

it’s nice to see many people getting back into the fandom and finding a nice place to camp out.

soawesome1

Nil Admirari
      none
      It all started with a joke.

Or, well, my return to the show and its fandom anyway. Like many fans I had become enamored with Universe as it aired on Toonami in 2000. I loved the goofiness, the sci-fi aspect and the unique personalities of every lady in the household. I had a group of local friends whom all loved the series as well and we watched together. As the OVAs and Tokyo aired over here as well, I came to realize just how large the series was and took to lurking fansites and message boards but never posting. Around 2004-2005 I found myself too busy with schoolwork and my interests were taking me elsewhere and I left the fandom.

In the time between then and now however, Tenchi as a whole has remained a part of me. I would recall a piece of art, a powerful scene, a voice, a line of dialog. Often times I would envision a scene of my own creation when listening to music. Certain tunes will forever be associated with Tenchi and the crew, despite them having nothing to do with the show at all.

Last October I was throwing ideas around in another group for my book I was going to write in the following month. I spitballed a few, until at the apropos of (almost) nothing I decided to mess with them. For a while I upheld the joke that I was in fact writing a Ryoko x Kiyone lemon fanfiction and even pasted several (edited for readability) clips from various pieces over at TMFFA. It drove them crazy and I loved every minute of it.

I had not intended to get back into the series but a part of me kept saying I should rewatch some episodes instead of just torturing the others with bad fanfiction. Once my free time cleared up upon completion of my novel that month, I sat down with Universe and chained through it. I was in love again. It was all coming back to me, from the scenes and lines to some memories of the good old days with the local fandom crew. I’m so glad I gave in to my inner self that pushed towards hitting the Play button.

And to think, I have low-grade smut fiction to thank. kiyonesmile1

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I have to say my rediscovering was more or less bound to happen at a certain point, it was just a matter of when.

About two years ago I finally got back around to rediscovering the shows from the old Toonami days. I found the assortment that I remembered most of all and then branched off for a while until a name kept coming up. Tenchi Muyo. I honestly had no idea what the hell it was(never remembered the name) and I had a friend of mine who was rather shallowly into it recommend it to me. I watched the first OVA opening and the nostalgic floodgates opened and torrents of fond memories filled my mind.

I had always had in the back of my mind the theme to the first OVA opening, I just never knew where it was from. I’d hum that melody constantly throughout the several years before even rediscovering my old Toonami shows and never know where it came from, but it felt familiar. I always remembered something about a blue spiky-haired female character, too.

The main things I remembered were the first OVA and Universe. I was quoting a few lines before they would show up in the first episode upon not having watched it in YEARS. When I got to Kagato and his pipe organ piece, I was humming along with it and remembered it completely.

I don’t think I ever watched OVA 2 when it was on toonami, but Universe I remembered when I got around to it. It always confused me when I was young that the story start over.

Tl;dr I found it towards the latter half of 2012 during the end of my Toonami nostalgia trip and have since been a huge fan of it and it will always be a part of who I am.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      Kiyami
      Participant
      none
      Rediscover? I knew it was there, I just walked away from it for a few years. I was a big fan 2000-2005ish, then I fell out with Tenchi and all of anime really for the next two years. It was sad. I gave away 80% of my collection. The Tenchi films, Mihoshi special, some of the manga… gave them away for free to a friend that I no longer see. However, I kept my OVA DVDs, brought them to college and one of my friends was interested in watching it so we did, and I loved it all over again… and there were cool Tenchi fans like Kiyoka who pulled me back into Anime, and I joined a forum that wasn’t this one but is no longer around before finding this one. Now I have tons more Tenchi stuff than I ever did, take part in podcasts, go to conventions and Mod at the greatest forum ever.

kiyonesmile1

The fandom missed me and my muffins.

soawesome1

Here I am Mittens, there I was Kiyami/Mihokiyo/Minsam/Mihoshicasey. Been around since the AIC Forums, RIP.

SnowQueen
      Well I never really had to “rediscover” Tenchi. I never got to watch it on Toonami sadly and I didn’t discover it until I was a early teenager and I found the manga at the library (it was Sasami Stories ^_^) but that was the only manga they had and so I searched it up not knowing if it was a show or not but I found it on YouTube and sure enough I got hooked on it and the first episode or episodes I watched was the OVA episodes 5 and 6 (my favorite episodes evar in anything anime) and I held Tenchi Muyo! close to my heart since and for 7 years my love for it never slipped away.
      tachi-nii
      re-discover? well it had popped into my mind several times after not seeing it for so long. but I’ve gotten truly attached to it again when I had gotten in a tenchi role play group, just last year.
      opiemuyo
      Participant
      I discovered Tench Muyo! when it came on after Sailor Moon on Toonami, and really enjoyed the show. Later on my spouse and children moved away to my spouses country, where we thought were going to live when I got our things settled. During this time away from my spouse and children, I discovered that I had no hobbies to occupy my time whatsoever, and a friend who knew I enjoyed Tenchi encouraged me to rent the videos from a local comic book shop (we are talking VHS here, young ones) and this started a severe anime addiction.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Welcome to the forum, Opie! Toonami is what brought so many of us into the fold, and I’m glad to see you’ve found your way back!
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      My earliest memory of Tenchi was waiting through Sailor Moon when it was on Toonami in 2000 or something. It was one of the show full of girls that seem awesome being from space and living in one house with a guy. Then it faded it from me and then after a decade when surfing youtube, I caught a glimpse of a clip of Ryoko and then it sort of started creep back in to me. I started finding all that I could of the OVA’s, series, manga, and movies and got back in and now waiting for more.
      segaman4
      Well I watched it on toonami in 2000-2001 and I liked it. Then after it was cancelled I forgot all about it because dbz was a part of my life. Then in 2010 I had the urge to look at it again and I found it on YouTube and became a fan ever since
      OfficeLady
      Participant
      Hmm… Well one day I recalled the story of Azusa and the naming of his ship, Kirito. So I wanted to reread it and discovered this site and it reignited my passion for everything Tenchi! I’ve always been a fan, casual for the most part, but every few years I’d see something that would catch my eye and I’d go into a Tenchi craze again. I’m glad to have found you guys!
      Jameron4eva
      Like most, those early days of toonami, though i didn’t get too much into it, as i had choices between toonami (with Tenchi, DBZ, etc.) and Fox’s lineup of “ANIMATION DOMINATION” King of The Hill (I tell ya huwat)Simpsons, Family Guy and so on, and others spread around, plus i had DVD’s of South Park, and games Including south park’s knockoff mario kart game for ps1. If i could go back. dawohki1
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.