Is Ai Tenchi Muyo a sequel to OVA1?

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Worship / Collection / Theory threads Is Ai Tenchi Muyo a sequel to OVA1?

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
    Participant
    none
    Some time has passed since my last thrust of speculation, but today, I have a special case of comparison and alignment. One could make a case for Ai to be a sequel, or side-quel, to OVA1. Observe that

• the historical episodes of Ai were set 1300 years before present, 500 years before Ryoko was imprisoned;

• Azaka and Kamidake announce Earth as “colonized planet”, and Ai shows Beni and Momo clearly establishing residence on the world;
  • in the Ai manga, Tenchi broke the seal on Ryoko, just as he did in OVA1;
  • Ai is the only continuity other than the OVA to have Washu’s surname, “Hakubi”, be given;
  • several visual keys are nearly identical, such as Ryoko’s energy blasts;
  • the Masaki house itself has a blue roof, which is only in OVA;

[glow=red](side note: OVA3 contradicts OVA1 in a flashback, where the roof is red, like in Universe or Tokyo)[/glow]

• the orbs that appear in Tenchi and Momo’s swords are in the same location as the disc in the Light Hawk Sword, which has only been shown in the OVA used by Tenchi and Kenshi.
  • Below are some screen captures of these items, shown side-by-side for comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/IVJFmFW.jpg" />

The similarities continue. As Momo and Beni are establishing themselves on Earth, note that

• Momo’s sword rests in a little enclosure, not unlike Tenchi’s sword in Ryoko’s cave;

• their shrine is arranged much the same as the Masaki shrine;

• the shrine itself is constructed nearly identical to the Masaki shrine in modernity.

• Considering the final scenes of Ai fade from Momo’s shrine to Tenchi standing outside the Masaki shrine, this could be a hint that the two are the same building. Here are some side-by-sides to illustrate each point.

https://i.imgur.com/uSzcL91.jpg" />

For a couple other connections without visual evidence, please note that Kiyone Makibi is sadly absent from Ai, much like she is in the OVA. Moreover, please observe the emphasis on the tree/ship Toshika, much like OVA1 placed emphasis on Ryu-Oh and Funaho.

Now, I admit that some flaws exist in this connection.

• Washu’s door in Ai, and the interior of the house by extension, does not match the house in OVA1/NbtC/Universe. Instead, it’s designed like the interior of the house in OVA2-4 or Tokyo.

• The pommel of Tenchi’s sword in Ai matches Universe+iL1+iL2, rather than the OVA, where the gems are embedded.

https://i.imgur.com/pYVb24z.jpg" />

Despite the discrepancies listed above, Ai Tenchi Muyo does seem to share a good bit with the first OVA series. Is this enough for it to be considered a sequel from the defeat of the Ruins Buster, Kagato? What are your thoughts on these similarities and connections? Tenchismile

Rogue Thoughts

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.