Kajishima on Sasami and Tsunami – Better Translation

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Translation Zone Kajishima on Sasami and Tsunami – Better Translation

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    I was happily browsing the Internet (2ch, to be precise, which isn’t exactly a great place to be…) when I came across an “interview” with Kajishima regarding the relationship between Sasami and Tsunami. Needless to say, this goes against a lot of my previously held convictions regarding their assimilation. What do you guys think?

It’s a pain to translate. Internet speak in other languages is always a huge pain, and I can’t tell what the interviewer’s name is supposed to be… I’m going to call him Namakame, which is one way to read the kanji.

EDIT: I’ve re-translated this interview so that it’s easier to read. I also realized that I accidentally skipped a bit of it the first time around when I lost my place…

Namakame: So, I’m looking, and I was wondering if Sasami and Tsunami’s assimilation was pre-ordained from the beginning?

Kajishima: No, it was not pre-ordained.

Namakame: You’re saying it was completely a coincidence? As for why I thought that,

it’s because the shadows of the three Choushin distinctly make the shapes of Washu and Tsunami.

Kajishima: But, you couldn’t see her face, could you?

Namakame: But, to have taken that sort of face, then from the beginning, wouldn’t they have planned on taking those forms?

Kajishima: No, because the shapes are a little bit different.

Namakame: So, in the place of the original Tsunami there is a shadow, but prior to assimilating with Sasami, her face and form were likely different?

Kajishima: She probably didn’t have a face! She’s a discarnate entity.

Namakame: So, due to her form being fixed, this is the first time she’s had a face? So then why does Tokimi have a face?

Kajishima: See, Tokimi needed to be recognized by her peers.

Namakame: Ah, yes, yes! When she tries to hold contact in the third dimension, she deliberately takes that form.

Kajishima: So the gods there were in a sense seeing Tokimi in a different form.

Namakame: So what about the people standing like pillars in front of the three gods? There are ten of them?

Kajishima: Right. Those priests are also discarnate entities, in terms of form.

Kamakame: Is there meaning in Tsunami’s appearance being that of 15-year-old Sasami?

Kajishima: None. I thought that there should be a deliberate balance with their ages. It’s just that really. If Sasami’s mental maturation were to hasten, Tsunami’s appearance would probably change. In that sense, her appearance is not fixed. If their assimilation were to complete by the time Sasami was 14-years-old, then Tsunami’s form would gradually change to that of a 14-year-old.

Kamakame: I thought that was nonsensical. If I think about the difference in Tsunami’s face between episodes 6 and 9…

It’s not that you hadn’t considered it, is it? (LOL)

Kajishima: No, let’s just say, tentatively, that that was something that we didn’t intentionally change. (Sly smile)

As for my thoughts on this, I guess that’s not the theory I had in my head. I always assumed that Tsunami looked the way she does in the show, and I had placed her age as looking close to Aeka instead of teenaged. Poor Sasami must not have much of a childhood left. How old is she in Ai! Tenchi Muyo! ?

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

Here’s the original thread if you want to read it yourself: http://toro.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/magazin/1422774197/86” class=”bbcode_url”>http://toro.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/magazin/1422774197/86

EDIT: I just discovered the links to the entire AMA on 2ch! toro.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/magazin/1422774197/” class=”bbcode_url”>toro.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/magazin/1422774197/

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Replies
      jgzinv
      As with all things in the Muyo, source please?
      Shounenbat
      Participant

JGZinv wrote:

As with all things in the Muyo, source please?

2Chan thread. I have it bookmarked on my other computer, so when I get back on it, I’ll post the link. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be part of a large AMA-style thread or not, but I have a hard time navigating that site.

When I get back on, I’ll go through the interview again and strive for a more natural translation (some of the vocabulary tripped me up, and I didn’t have my dictionary with me blush1 ) and I’ll also post the link.

ChaudSept
      Meanwhile you get a smooth translation…

In Ai Tenchi, Sasami appears to be something like 13 or 14. Since Tenchi go from 16/17 to 22 ! And Sasami was (like) a 8 yo in ova1 at least.

Also gimme your name on Lang-8 wth2

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      In the Okuda No Need for Tenchi manga vol 10, it states Sasami is a 9 year old girl. In the All New Tenchi manga vol 5, technically she is 709 years old.

In Ai it doesn’t even mention Tsunami once, though I think at around 14 or 15 is when her appearance starts to really mature into Tsunami’s.

So we’re looking at what? A 6 or 7 year gap between the original ova and Ai?

Makes sense if Tsunami is starting to not only look more like Sasami but also take on some of her

personality.

Shounenbat
      Participant

ChaudSept wrote:

Meanwhile you get a smooth translation…

In Ai Tenchi, Sasami appears to be something like 13 or 14. Since Tenchi go from 16/17 to 22 ! And Sasami was (like) a 8 yo in ova1 at least.

Also gimme your name on Lang-8 wth2

ハヴネス is my Lang-8 name. I don’t post often on there, since I do most of my practice on iTalki, but I’ve got lots of great penpals there!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

mitsuki lover wrote:

So we’re looking at what? A 6 or 7 year gap between the original ova and Ai?

Makes sense if Tsunami is starting to not only look more like Sasami but also take on some of her

personality.

Well Ai is a separate continuity on its own, created by Negishi, not Kajishima. Negishi’s Tenchi does not have Tsunami in Sasami in the Universe cannon or Ai. Tsunami is present however in Kajishima cannon and Okuda Manga, which bases itself on the OVA’s: 1, 2, 3. But if we are just talking about if she will look like Tsunami when she is older then it is possible. Her body is generally growing into the proportion if she would develop into Tsunami’s body type, her hair is she can tie in the back.

ChaudSept
      Thank for posting the source and the smooth translation !

As for the guy you named “Namakame”, is it possible that he is Namakame Nobuyuki (生亀信幸) ? I found that website http://tenchi.org/dou_no.htm , and it seems to be a list of doujins (I read words like Souran, Nontan…) with the satff who worked on it. And his name ( 生亀信幸) appears !

If a remember correctly, some of the character were named after the crew. Maybe it’s said in 101 Secrets btw.

For the interview, I think it’s kinda weird, because Sasami merged with Tsunami 700 years ago during the attack on Jurai. And we see Tsunami wery well. So saying that the shape behind Tokimi is different than the shape of Tsunami we see in at least ova2 seems a little bullshitty.

jgzinv
      The Tenchi.org list has been around a long time. The nontans are fairly thick doujinshi that Kajishima did early on like in the OVA1 era. The Souran is part of that group and is sort of a collection of parts of the others.

I used to have a near complete set of the nontans, sold them off here and there.

Shounenbat
      Participant

ChaudSept wrote:

So saying that the shape behind Tokimi is different than the shape of Tsunami we see in at least ova2 seems a little bullshitty.

That’s Kajishima for you!

I actually went over that bit of dialogue a few times to make sure I was interpreting it correctly, since the shadow is still distinctly Tsunami as we know her after her assimilation with Sasami. I suppose, as Kajishima said, we didn’t see her face…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.