Kajishima Onsen 15.03 + Special – Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki 4

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Manga / Doujinshi / Light Novel Kajishima Onsen 15.03 + Special – Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki 4

• This topic is empty.
    none
    Breaking:

http://i.imgur.com/sgdzfD5.jpg" />

Japanese fans are alit with excitement as Kajishima’s latest doujin pair has apparently announced OVA4’s production. Details are scant at the moment. More as we get it.

Released at Otaku Summit (Comiket Special 6) 2015, Kajishima has dropped two new Doujins. The first is the aformentioned Omnibus he spoke of in the afterword of 14.12. The second appears to be a book giving a peek at some potential OVA4 material. The afterword of the Omnibus is where Kajishima drops it – OVA4 production is underway.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Replies
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      I am exited for OVA 4, as does any other fan, but I also live in fear of it. This is what I think: Kajishima will pick up from OVA 3 and still have Norike, and he is going to gives a story line that doesn’t get explained well. Kajishima has established what Tenchi is in his mind and will not deviate from it, no matter what anyone says. I really hope Kajishima tries to redeem himself for OVA 3 by making a effort to make OVA 4 great in soul and not showy or fanservice-y. I have a feeling fans are going to watch it because Kajishima has Tenchi and we want more Tenchi from Kajishima, and then we get slapped in the face when we see a flawed story. I am probably speaking from prejudice of OVA 3, but it is because of OVA 3 and what Kajishima has done in the Doujins that I say this.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      A part of me will hold out and be stubborn for a while: I’ll believe it when I see it. BUT if it happens, I’m very curious to see where they’re going with it and who is going to be involved with production and in a creative capacity.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      If it happens, good.

If it doesn’t, what have you really lost?

Anonymous
      Well I’ll be the first to say that I am both excited, and eating my words a little, in this business I guess you can never truly say never.

With that being said, I have an innumerable amount of questions.

1. How in the hell can you logically follow OVA3? Seriously? When you have all these “Goddesses” and Hyper-Dimensional Beings, what conflict can you even attempt to add to the series that A.) Kajishima hasn’t tried to squash already and B.) Stand up to said aforementioned beings.

2. What happened to “Unfortunately, none of my projects are being made?”, and AIC kept pretty tight lipped about Ai right until the reveal, like, really tight lipped, nobody saw it coming, an OVA4 announcement is a pretty big fucking deal, why would they let him run his mouth about it in a doujin? (Unless this truly proves that doujins have absolutely no market penetration) but we have social media? Surely wouldn’t AIC, who made a twitter for Ai, know the fans would say something?

3. Is this the big announcement that AIC was going to make at the re-release of TMiL in theaters? Again, it’s over a month early, they (AIC) couldn’t just ignore the fact these doujins are being released early and that people (again) weren’t going to be ablaze

4. Is Kajishima calling AIC out? Without the doujin to translate it’s pure conjecture, but I’m having a really hard time going from “Nothing is happening / If I did more Tenchi here’s how it would be in storyboard form (IE: -If-) to “It’s actually happening for real and in production, big fucking 4 on the front, when literally all signs from Kajishima in the past 2 years have been “Please be excited for more, even though more isn’t happening” and again, AIC hasn’t said a word about it, because lets be real here, Kajishima with OVA3 hinted at the show FOR YEARS, and not just in passing either, referred to it by a number, because it’s not been in Kajishima’s style to do something like this, who knows.

We’ll see what happens.

Anonymous
      http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q262/Dagon123/OVA4_zpsly2mu6l2.png" />

Also interesting to keep in mind, he has a very visible question mark at the bottom of the doujin.

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      I’m cautiously semi-vaguely excited.

I’m not really a fan of Kajishima’s direction and I feel with every thing he releases I get a bit more and more saddened because it’s clear that whatever he considers to be the core essence of Tenchi Muyo is not what got me interested in the franchise in the first place.

We’ll see!

ChaudSept
      Wether or not it is a real thing, it is intresting to point out that on the twitter account @tenchimuyo20th (who i believe is an official account ?), most of the retweets are currently about Kajishima’s new doujin. Such a hype from the jap-fans makes me wanna believe it !

Anyway i’m super excited, even though i was disapointed of OVA3 just like everybody else, i still love this continuity.

Dagon123 wrote:

How in the hell can you logically follow OVA3? Seriously? When you have all these “Goddesses” and Hyper-Dimensional Beings, what conflict can you even attempt to add to the series that A.) Kajishima hasn’t tried to squash already and B.) Stand up to said aforementioned beings.

True, in even in GXP it is stated that the household is “invicible”. But apart from that, in WoG even though Kenshi was OP, i liked the show ! I’m sure Kajishima can work a (interesting enough) plot.

Actually i worry more about that : What if he creates this OVA story after all the events in the doujins ? I really don’t want to see a true harem animated with the Tenchi cast. Please, no children !! No multi mariage … No Seina …

EDIT : The twitter account above isn’t official :/

AstroNerdBoy

Ukinojo92 wrote:

I am exited for OVA 4, as does any other fan, but I also live in fear of it. This is what I think: Kajishima will pick up from OVA 3 and still have Norike, and he is going to gives a story line that doesn’t get explained well.

Well, of course he’s going to have Noike. She’s been around since 1994.

That said, you are correct in that all of the OVA’s have a problem on the explanation front. For OVA 1, it was the limitation of the OVA format (six 30 minute episodes). All of this story that Kajishima-sensei had just couldn’t fit into that format. That’s why we got “101 Mysteries of Tenchi Muyo” to help answer those questions. Kajishima-sensei had a website for a time where he took questions. And he took his background materials and published them in doujinshi form. He also published the three Tenchi novels after OVA 2 ended and OVA 3 was put on the shelf by Pioneer in favor of cheaper retellings in the TV series format (Tenchi Universe; Tenchi in Tokyo; Pretty Sammy).

For OVA 3, I think Kasjishima-sensei’s problem was that he got bogged down in telling the “day in a life” story of the Tenchi household and neglected the main story until the very end. Kajishima-sensei enjoys tat kind of story these days, as demonstrated in his doujinshi.

Quote:

Kajishima has established what Tenchi is in his mind and will not deviate from it, no matter what anyone says.

Well, in all fairness, it is his story. If you were an author and were writing what you wanted to write (and it was selling quite well in the only market you really care about), are you going to care what foreign fans are complaining about? Japanese fans get doujinshi, novels, interviews, etc. We in the West get whatever tidbits we can get, depending on if someone is willing to translate the materials (and translate them accurately). So they get all of this extra stuff that we don’t, which allows them to have a more positive view of OVA 3.

(Indeed, as someone who learned a ton from knowledgeable fans, including English-speaking Japanese fans back in the day, OVA 3 saw many things I’d hoped for brought to life, even if the overall execution of OVA 3 sucked.)

I do believe that Kajishima-sensei worked best when he has a focusing lens, which is what Hayashi-sensei was in OVA 1, but I believe Kajishima-sensei is a prima donna who doesn’t want anyone telling him anything.

As to OVA 4, I’m not getting excited until details from the doujinshi are released.

As to what OVA 4 would be about, I think we have a clue from the -If- doujinshi issues. The old AIC interview from Kajishima-sensei had him asked about an OVA 4 and he too wondered what that would be about since OVA 3 ends the main story. So I think that if there’s an OVA 4, it will be day in the life stuff, and there might be some event that causes Tenchi and company to become engaged at the end.

There are two way to estimate what a writer/author will do in his next work:

There is what and how he wrote in past. in this case what is obviously Tenchi Ryo, and the second is what he wrote in OVA3.

OVA3 was a prequel of Tenchi GXP, Therefore I will suggest the OVA4 might be prequel of War on Geminar

As to that Kajishima Sensei is currently writing, we have the two Doujinshi line as possible candidates,. The IF doujinshis state clearly they were intended to become a new anime series and could easily become one, but Kamidaki doujinshi dealing with Kenshi would be more in the prequel track.

Given this, I think there a greater chance that OVA4, if it is produce, will center on Kenshi’s early life.

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none
      If OVA4 even touches that “-If-” bullshit then I’m super done.

That will definitely soil the franchise until someone with more tact can direct a new series or a sequel to Universe. OKUDA COME FROM THE SHADOWS AND SAVE TENCHI.

WisperG

Marty Kirra wrote:

OKUDA COME FROM THE SHADOWS AND SAVE TENCHI.

An anime adaptation of Okuda’s manga would be amazing WANT1

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Marty Kirra wrote:

If OVA4 even touches that “-If-” bullshit then I’m super done.

That will definitely soil the franchise until someone with more tact can direct a new series or a sequel to Universe. OKUDA COME FROM THE SHADOWS AND SAVE TENCHI.

OVA 4? Fine, I wanna’ see where this could possibly go from here plot-wise. Ryo-Ohki/Tenchi “litter” of furry kids? Here’s my moderator badge, I’m taking an early retirement. 😆

I actually think a great idea would be something that either instead of, or in addition to, anything else coming down the pike, what you said Marty: it’s Okuda’s turn! Who wouldn’t have fun with that?

To stay on topic, I’ll come back around by saying that as of right now, to my knowledge, we haven’t heard anything supplementary to this fan-fueled social media fervor from AIC officially regarding what exactly is being produced. Will this be complimentary to anything Negishi might announce in the next month around the theatrical screening of TMiL? Is this what he was planning to announce, and consequently he’d be a part of it? Is there anything Ryo-Ohki-related actually going to be animated, or is this another case of tongue-in-cheek Kajishima calling doujins “If” and placing a little question mark within the title and basically…ending every title like a question? With an upward inflection? At the end of every sentence? “Hey guys, OVA 4 is going to be in production(?) Wouldn’t that be…err, I mean, isn’t that cool(?)”

[BBvideo]http://youtu.be/tqNhEzrWQpY[/BBvideo]

(Not very tactful, you might say? Since when has Kajishima cared about tact? Negishi himself said after requesting and insisting on meeting the man whom he respects on some level after so many years of working on Tenchi, Kajishima didn’t say so much as a word to him: the man basically had to be dragged in by AIC to do a meet-and-greet with a fellow professional, but it was so forced it was akin to a delinquent kid’s resentful, insincere apology after some sort of churlish chicanery.)

I am fully prepared to stick my foot waaay in my own mouth, eat my own words, etc., but here’s Who’s weather forecast: Kajishima’s going to continue the Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki a.k.a. OVA story line in written and illustrated form, at the very least, because he can control that himself; if AIC won’t bite, at least he can keep doing that.

If (a bigger one than Kaji’s) OVA 4 is being produced by AIC, these stipulations will very likely accompany it:

1. It’s not going to be verbatim what we’ve seen in his doujins thus far, for a myriad of reasons. Granted, if – IF – was only meant to be a treatment/teaser/presentation to AIC, that’s an explanation and excuse for why its content was so scant: but if proceeding to an anime/OVA, there’s got to be a LOT more going on than that (antagonists, plot, etc.).

AND

2. As with the franchise in days of yore, OVA will be accompanied by other incarnations such as a continuation of Ai, TMiL 3, and/or a Universe-esque TV adaptation/reboot. If they’re going to go all-in monetarily, they might as well use this multi-pronged approach to try and appease the many different tastes out there.

OR

Alt 2. OVA 4 won’t be just Kajishima’s very expensive personal playground anymore, and the likes of Negishi and who-knows-else will be brought on to continue Tenchi together in an attempt at a harmonious and coherent continuation of the original continuity.

Will AIC learn from its mistakes, or repeat the recent past? Let’s see!

Nil Admirari
      none

WisperG wrote:

Marty Kirra wrote:

There was actually a tweet from Negishi some time ago where he claimed he wanted to see Okuda’s works be animated. Would be crazy if he pursued that on the side while OVA4 ramps up.

NinjaboyMMGN
      Am I the only one that is picturing OVA 4 to be more or less Slice of life for the Masaki household? I mean that’s the only solid way I can see OVA 4 going. mmmm1
      susano
      I will like OVA 4 to be a sequel to the Ryo-Ohki series. The series can take place after GXP. Tenchi will likely be a ronin in the series. How he became a ronin will likely be explain in the first episode. As a ronin, Tenchi has a chance to think about his feelings for his female roommates. Strangely, his feelings for most of his roommates are slightly becoming more intimate. Tenchi’s feelings for Sasami and Ryo-Ohki are focus on them being like his sisters.

The OVA 4 series can be a thirteen episode series. As usual, it starts out with being not too serious. Since GXP, some things have change. Sasami is in grade one of junior high school. She is slowly starting to look like Tsunami. Ryoko and Ayeka are starting to wear some typical Earth fashions and to get out of the house more. Noike is acting like she is Tenchi’s no. 1 wife. Mihoshi is becoming somewhat like her mother as well as being clumsy on the side. Washu is coming in terms with the Kuramitsu Family.

I want Washu’s son Mikumo and his wife Miyuki make a vist to Earth along with Mihoshi’s parents and her maternal and paternal grandparents. Mikumo has known about Washu being his biological mother for a long time . Yet, he is surprise to learn that she is one of the Chousin.

The series’s villain can be one of Airi’s brothers. The reason for him in being the villain has to focus on being involved in an attempt to expose the activities of a rogue Airai secret society. Ayeka’s and Sasami’s father Azusa allows Tenchi to married them only under some specific conditions. One of which is for Tenchi naming Ayeka’s and his first son after Azusa’s father Kazuki.

I hope that there is going to be an OVA 4. I just want to be a sequel to Ryo-Ohki as a way for it to be its own series. I do need to leave it up to Masaki Kajishima to determine if there is going to be an OVA 4 series, and its main plot.

Tenchismile kain2-1

WisperG

susano wrote:

I want Washu’s son Mikumo and his wife Miyuki make a vist to Earth along with Mihoshi’s parents and her maternal and paternal grandparents. Mikumo has known about Washu being his biological mother for a long time . Yet, he is surprise to learn that she is one of the Chousin.

I believe it’s implied that they’re both long dead. Mikami is her granddaughter after all, and she’s an old lady. The odds of her father or grandfather still being around are slim to none, even with the extended, Jurai-esque lifespans the Kuramitsu’s seem to have.

I’ve always found the extended lifespans odd and difficult to explain though. Mihoshi is officially only in her 20s, right? (Or was that just Universe?) So, she ages normally up until being a young adult, and then starts aging super-slowly from there on out? Ditto for Juraians. We know Sasami is hundreds of years old like her sister, yet in the OVAs and Kajishima’s dojinshi she seems to be physically aging at a normal rate during her time on Earth. It’s so hard to wrap my head around how this works unless space years =/= earth years. But that theory opens up another whole can of worms :-?

Cardboard Marty
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

It’s so hard to wrap my head around how this works unless space years =/= earth years. But that theory opens up another whole can of worms :-?

I kind of like the idea that the Jurian calendar system is way different than Earth’s and thus they count age different or at an accelerated rate. Seriously, who could be an adolescent for a hundred years?

Nil Admirari wrote:

WisperG wrote:

Marty Kirra wrote:

There was actually a tweet from Negishi some time ago where he claimed he wanted to see Okuda’s works be animated. Would be crazy if he pursued that on the side while OVA4 ramps up.

DON’T TEASE ME.

This would be sooo good! Maybe too good…

jgzinv
      Personally I gave up on the OVA back when GXP and OVA3 double whammy’d the community then.

Sure KM seems to constantly poke us Dual fans with snippets in various media, but it’s not going anywhere.

Frankly I sincerely doubt that AIC would create an OVA 4 series that matches what we know of the IF timeline:

1. AIC is not the AIC of the 90’s, it doesn’t have funding to do Geminar take 2. It’s too big of a risk.

2. As much as Kajishima likes to keep to his own world (sorry ANB) major publishers all over Japan are very much aware of their licensing with international distributors, particularly the US. This is why so much action on the simuldub, same day casts, games finally coming across borders, the national archive of manga and animation for Japan that just was unveiled is in both English and Japanese, why companies on both sides of the Pacific are fighting scanners and uploaders. It’s big business that can’t be neglected like Japan once acted before Admiral Perry steamed in. Japan’s own gaming and anime industry is in a slump, largely caused by mismanagement in the last 15 years. They are trying to fix it by opening doors (with a price tag attached) more than ever before. Have you seen how many more Japanese guests we’ve been getting in the states at cons lately too? So KM can border himself up, stroke his giant app-activated love pillow of Seto, but it’s not the industry keeping him in a walled garden. He simply doesn’t like being handled and told to polish his material into something besides porn.

3. Tenchi AI was a test of the waters. It’s been confirmed, we all knew it. More Tenchi was on the drawing board. No big surprise, it’s one of AIC’s largest name licenses. They might release an OVA 4, but they aren’t going to drive it into the ground with what we’ve seen in IF. Main reason being is that it’s KM further writing himself into a corner.

a. He’d have to pick up after IF when the kids can come into their own, which won’t have as strong ties back to the original cast.

b. He’ll have to do as shadows said and make it a prequel to Geminar, which will end up being more of OVA3.

Bring on the 12 cousins and step mothers that all have the hots… for him (Tenchi/Seina/etc). Keep in mind though that KM has never been big on direct continuations, there’s usually a time skip involved.

c. He’ll have to create a spin off story crafted before or after Geminar where you get another throw away villain for

the household to fight, and subsequently win against. Maybe one of the newborns is abducted? Meanwhile weird one off events occur that further raise questions about Tenchi-kami, chibi-Kagato, Mihoshi, and the other million threads left un-concluded.

d. If you really want to reboot the series, you have some new power behind the counteractor come in, strip the chousin of most of their powers, seal Tenchi and put him in peril, nuke Jurai, and you leave things in a bleak state like the transition of episodes 5 into 6. It creates demand for the next series, resets the baloney that no one cares much about, and gets back to the core of the girls fighting for and after Tenchi. It’d be a nice blend of TMIL1, and the OVA, while leaving it on a cliffhanger, and reintroducing the core theme to a new age audience.

But let’s be honest, the last time anything made sense in OVA land was the 90’s. So I’m not holding my breath for D to happen.

Shounenbat
      Participant

WisperG wrote:

Marty Kirra wrote:

I love Okuda’s manga. All of the characters feel right, it doesn’t contradict anything from the OAVs (at least not that I remember), and it’s just fun all the way around.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

WisperG wrote:

Marty Kirra wrote:OKUDA COME FROM THE SHADOWS AND SAVE TENCHI.

If he didn’t come out to save Tenchi after GXP, especially OVA 3, then he is not coming out and his works are not going to be translated

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

Ukinojo92 wrote:

WisperG wrote:

Marty Kirra wrote:OKUDA COME FROM THE SHADOWS AND SAVE TENCHI.

If he didn’t come out to save Tenchi after GXP, especially OVA 3, then he is not coming out and his works are not going to be translated

After hearing word of a possible OVA 4, I’ve learned never say never with anything Tenchi-related; at any rate, we’re not necessarily talking ‘Okuda will happen’ it’s more like ‘wouldn’t that be cool?’

Also, on a final note, they have been translated. 😉

SnowQueen
      Just had a thought. What if this was all a April fools joke? Lol there was a 4th movie Madoka trailer that was a April fools joke so if this is a joke….it wouldn’t surprise me. wtfisthis1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

SnowQueen wrote:

Just had a thought. What if this was all a April fools joke? Lol there was a 4th movie Madoka trailer that was a April fools joke so if this is a joke….it wouldn’t surprise me. wtfisthis1

That’s a cruel joke by kajishima if it is one

Just give it drama and character development. Do NOT choose an arc about the Tenchi babies and everybody sitting around having hijinx. There must be a real plot and a real crisis for the characters to overcome.

War on Geminar was the best thing you guys released since OAV 1 and the movies. Just get past some of the pointless harem crap and make it more compelling like the original OAVs and it will be even better.

This means getting a real director like Hayahsi-sensei who isnt afraid to boss the manga-ka around.

Comeon guys you can do eet. soawesome1

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.