kenshi masaki what makes him tick

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Worship / Collection / Theory threads kenshi masaki what makes him tick

• This topic is empty.
    in this topic we will discuss kenshi masaki (obviously) and his traits, character, archetype, and what makes him a great successor to tenchi’s legacy
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Cool. Well, in the words of my friend Akawoa, Kenshi really is “an amalgam of the entire Tenchi household,” which lends towards his positive attributes and, unfortunately, some legitimate, fair criticism of him as a character.

To get the “bad” out of the way, the criticism some have noted with Kenshi is he appears to have little to no detectable faults. A character has to be flawed to create conflict, fuel drama, allow for development and, most importantly, for you to care about them. Now while I for one cared about Kenshi, and really do like him as a personality, I had to concede this point brought up by fellow fans. To indirectly quote another friend of mine, at no time are you ever really concerned for Kenshi’s safety; he’s a badass right from the get-go, and while I enjoyed seeing him kick butt, at least for me personally looking back it was true, I was never worried for Kenshi in the same way I was for Tenchi or virtually any other protagonist from anything else I’ve ever watched/read in my life.

BUT:

The rationalizing for this can be expressed twofold: one, as stated, being the younger brother of Tenchi and growing up with his older “sisters” and Yosho as a trainer…if there was any kid with the right ingredients to add up to being practically a “super teen” I don’t know what else you could ask for. Learning under Yosho, you’d be more than formidable with combat, and cleaning up after Ryoko, you’d get darn good at tidying up rooms! It’s a bit unfortunate that Washu’s “conditioning” was used as a plot device to allow Kenshi to act out the ego-fueled, “wish fulfillment” of many lesser harem anime while at the same time retain his innocence and good-boy charm, but oh well, I suppose having Washu as a nanny would probably mess you up somewhat. Even his minor “flaw” of being obsessed with crystals can be chalked up primarily to growing up with Ryo-Ohki, likely taking crystal form for a toddler’s bemusement.

But the second tier of this positive take on Kenshi’s extraordinary abilities stems from points brought up during the cast, as well as by the starter of this thread earlier in chat, and that is that SKT is very much a series for Tenchi fans. Sure, it’s separated enough from the Tenchi continuity and good enough to stand on its own, but to truly get enjoyment out of it, it’s like an inside joke: you have to be “in on it” to “get” it. As such, the reason most fans (including me) enjoyed it and similarly how Kajishima could get away with having a slightly-less-than three dimensional main character (if taking the more negative view) is that we didn’t have our expectations set the same for Kenshi as we did with Tenchi (particularly if its cumulative, e.g. higher expectations for Tenchi in ova3 than ova1 because we were just introduced to Tenchi in ova1). We were just excited to see new characters, new locales and new adventures, and to be fair, that’s what we got (and then some). In my mind, if/when there is another Geminar series, that would be the time to add some much-needed depth to Kenshi and really delve into him as a character (but still allowing him to be a badass every now and then).

shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      The biggest thing for me that I would like to see, is more depth on Kenshi himself, with a new season(if one is created). While in a conversation the other day with you, Hero, I admit it was nice to have a badass character, however I could not feel myself rooting for him or sympathizing with him as much as I did for Tenchi, albeit the reason of mainly wanting more Tenchi himself, or because not much was given on to what Kenshi’s weakness was. Regardless I do admit that although having the quality to be a standalone anime, Who nailed it on it being like an inside joke, If you have watched the previous carnations of the franchise, you feel like you almost get an “easter egg” of sorts when watching it.

Again, maybe I am too used to buildup for having an “instabadass” but if someone is raised in the household of Tenchi, and his harem of Goddesses and then some, you would get yourself a boy who is ridiculously powerful and the question brought to the table at the end is if he has the potency of being a “Kenshi-Kami”

The question still bugs me on to how he is an artificial being just like yours, Hero, but I haven’t done the homework on it, so my best guess is that it was Rhea who was an artificial being(still not to sure even on that) but as stated, its the easiest way of looking at it, as well as making the most sense of it.

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      AstroNerdBoy
      I think one of the recent Kajishima doujinshi shows that Kenshi was HEAVILY trained by Tenchi’s harem. I wish we had a fully translated version of it (I don’t even have a scanned version, much less the original), but from the moment Kenshi was born, all of his “oneesans” took care of him. As such, it is no wonder that he was a kick-arse character from the start.

shadowsfall0 wrote:

The question still bugs me on to how he is an artificial being just like yours, Hero, but I haven’t done the homework on it, so my best guess is that it was Rhea who was an artificial being(still not to sure even on that) but as stated, its the easiest way of looking at it, as well as making the most sense of it.

Reia Masaki is one of the three dolls created in Geminar to defeat Gaia. After Gaia defeated, but not destroyed, the 3 dolls were reverted to infantile states. Thou it is not clear at what point in time Reia was sent from Geminar, she was sent to earth to produce a child capable of destroying Gaia. The ‘Reia’ in Isekai is actually Neizai concealing her identity from Babalun, whom had one of the core crystals injected into him. At the end of Isekai the one posing as Reia says a cryptic message to Kenshi about ‘the other Reia’ being responsible for him being there and earlier in the series addresses herself as ‘Reia Second’.

That said, as mentioned, Reia Masaki was sent to earth and through dumb luck or intervention by the goddesses ended up at one of the smaller earth clan Masaki households, whom took her in. The rest of her story is not that hard to figure out. Hints about her past have been dropped in typical Kajishima style, through his doujins.

As for Kenshi, he was breed for a specific task and that was handing Gaia it’s ass. Aside from being a child born specifically to create a being stronger than possible in Geminar, he was taken care of by Tenchi’s harem. Remember when Washu whipped up that ‘specialized’ baby formula for Taro? Well she did the same thing with Kenshi, Yosho trained him like he did Tenchi and everyone else more/less worked him like a dog. You’ve gotta be hard as nails to survive in that household.

Another detail about Kenshi is that in Kajishima’s very early stages of designing Isekai, Kenshi was originally planned to be connected to Z. However this was scrapped because of how long it took til Isekai was finally approved to be animated. That still does not mean some of that planned background may resurface thou, as it is possible that Kenshi may turn out to be a demi-god capable of generating LHWs like Z was. If Isekai ever gets a second season… Damned AIC.

heromech40
      a couple of of points to make shades of blue people have said that supposedly z is kenshi because in ova 3 z’s fetus was transported into rea’s uterus and astronerdboy i thank you your post proved my point that kenshi trained hard before he became op

heromech40 wrote:

a couple of of points to make shades of blue people have said that supposedly z is kenshi because in ova 3 z’s fetus was transported into rea’s uterus and astronerdboy i thank you your post proved my point that kenshi trained hard before he became op

Z being reverted to an infantile state was more of a ruse, as the extended scene showed that he was returned to his own world, which had the flow of time reverted to before its inhabitants retaliated against Tokimi. That way Z could grow up normally and Tokimi could try watching over him like her sisters were doing with Tenchi.

http://i39.tinypic.com/24es51v.jpg" />

That said, Kajishima made mention of toying with the possibility that Z’s mother was in love with Nobuyuki. Which is a really mind-blower, but in a scifi series where mass scale dimensional manipulation is possible, there’s not many rules which cannot be broken or manipulated. If Kajishima went that way, I would imagine the lady who gave birth to Z could have been cloned and the original sent to earth. Then at some point she’d meet Nobuyuki and become his lover, leading to the birth to Kenshi. So the Z born elsewhere would likely lose his natural abilities, as his cloned mother would not continue to possess whatever unique attribute that spawned his abilities. I say that only because Z wanted to kill Tenchi so he could be recreated without his gift & the goddesses would be forced to look for another pawn.

http://i41.tinypic.com/6qitdt.jpg" />

Prototype Seikishi Monogatari from Heisei Ban 3

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zrol8x.jpg" />

Z from OVA2

http://i43.tinypic.com/15frtkx.jpg" />

Notice how much Tenchi’s original little brother looks like a much younger Z? That’s no coincidence. In fact even the final Kenshi has an element or two borrowed from his original plans, as Kenshi’s brows match that of Z’s mother.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.