Miyazaki Films

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Miyazaki Films

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    none
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-01/hayao-miyazaki-to-retire-from-making-feature-films

Miyazaki has announced he will retire. This is big news, since many have been inspired by his films. I own several of the films he worked on or helped with in some way with Studio Ghibli and will miss his unique stories.

My first Miyazaki film was probably either Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke- I can’t remember which one I watched first. I love these films, they introduced me to him. I love the dark fairytales with environmental/other lessons in them.I guess I would say that Spirited Away and The Cat Returns are my favorite films that he either created or produced (He was Exec. producer on The Cat Returns). I just love these films to bits and can’t wait to someday show them to my future niece or other young relatives.

Topic (Please no spamming/double posting/yadayada):

Miyazaki films. Your favorites, least favorites, firsts and No-Face (he isn’t cosplaying as KAIN).

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Replies
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      I’ve been in love with Miyazaki’s films ever since I saw Spirited Away in theaters all those years ago. His movies are almost always top notch, and I’m glad that he is going to enjoy a happy retirement. As far as my favorite of his films, It’s really a tossup between Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke. Both of these two films share many commonalities, such as the struggle between humanity and nature, and are both the pinnacles of sci-fi and fantasy anime respectively. Miyazaki may retire, but his influence on anime, and animation globally, will never fade away.
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      I can’t help but feel a sense of melancholy knowing that one of the greats of the 20th and 21st century is retiring, but he’s certainly earned it–and for that, I’m also glad. He continues to be revered by international critics, inspiring to younger animators and directors, and emulated by national cinemas to this day, likely for another century to come.

He showed the world the true potential of 2D, traditional animation, and hopefully thanks in no small part to his efforts, it will continue to be seen as a relevant avenue to be explored and utilized in cinema around the globe. When you’re watching a Miyazaki film, you can just see his passion and dedication to his craft behind every frame. It was this dedication that lead to the fruits of his labors that we’re familiar with today, and these in turn helped to legitimize anime as a whole within the fields of international film studies.

I very much like the sentiment expressed in the article that just because he’s retired doesn’t mean he’ll quit his passion cold turkey; maybe we can look forward to a few short projects in the future.

I believe the first Miyazaki film I ever saw was Spirited Away, and boy did it blow my mind. I was hooked on Miyazaki from that moment on, and in hindsight it likely planted the seeds that would contribute to my own desire to study international cinema. Sadly I’ve not seen his latest film, The Wind Rises, but I plan to remedy that soon.

I believe the dub of Kiki’s Delivery Service on what was then Toon Disney and is now Disney XD was the first

Miyazaki and Ghibli film I ever saw.

The classic Month of Miyazaki on Turner Classic Movies was also the first time I saw anything subbed on tv.

He’ll go down as one of the Legends of Animation.

I own a copy of The Castle of Cagilostro which was,IIRC the first film he directed.Overall Miyazaki was able to

combine interesting and entertaining stories with more serious topics such as his continual interest in

environmental causes without being preachy.

Hopefully the people that succeed him at Ghibli will continue his legacy.

Speaking of Miyazaki Hayao,check out the article they have over at Anime.com on Miyazaki Heroines.
      A reminder for those interested in collecting Miyazaki’s Ghibli works that there is no such thing as a

Complete Collection Set.This is because Disney has the rights to all Ghibli movies in the US and they passed

on Only Yesterday,which means that:1)if you see something advertised as The Complete Ghibli Collection,2)it includes Only Yesterday and 3)it doesn’t have the Disney logo=it’s a bootleg.

I came across this information whilst lurking at another forum,either Christian Anime Alliance or

Animenation,don’t recall which.

I think we all might need a good reminder of what to look out for.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Actually, there are a few Ghibli films that Disney does NOT own the rights to, the most obvious example being the anti-war classic “Grave of the Fireflies,” which is currently in the hands of Sentai Filmworks. Even recently Disney has chosen to not pursue Ghibli titles in the west, especially ones they know don’t fit into their market demographic, e.g. “From up on Poppy Hill” which is owned and dubbed by GKids. As for “Only Yesterday,” it actually is owned by Disney, but ML is correct in saying that they have chosen to do nothing at all with it (although they did allow it to air subbed on TCM’s tribute to Miyazaki a few years back). The point is that just because a Ghibli movie doesn’t have the Disney logo on it doesn’t mean that it is a bootleg, but ML is right that you should always take care when purchasing and look up what movies have been released legally, and by whom.

EDIT: I originally used the word “many” in describing how many Ghibli films Disney does not own the rights to. I changed it to “a few” because there are only two at the moment: “Grave of the Fireflies,” and “From up on Poppy Hill.”

WisperG
      Plus, there are no Ghibli movie collections (at least in English). If you see a set of them at all, its a bootleg.

But Chuck, I wouldn’t exactly say there are “many” that Disney doesn’t have. There’s really just Grave, Poppy Hill, and Ocean Waves.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Eh, you’re right Wisper. I will edit my post accordingly, although Wikipedia is telling me that Disney actually DOES own the rights to Ocean Waves… I’m getting dizzy with all this factual whiplash and counterpoint lol! Let’s wrap this up for good by saying Ghibli’s library in NA is USUALLY through Disney, and that it’s still a good idea for everyone interested in buying them to do their homework, because we’ve all just demonstrated that it’s pretty damn easy to lose track of them all! 😆
      WisperG
      Thats the first I’ve ever heard that Disney might have Ocean Waves, and Wikipedia even has a source (don’t know how reliable it is though). Well dang, if its actually true then that means they’ve just been sitting on it for awhile like OY 😡
      julia
      Thought I would share this, the second book is coming out in English!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1421560909/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

If you haven’t read “Starting Point”, it’s worth picking up if you’re really into Miyazaki and Ghibli. I’m really excited about this book, totally pre-ordered it! April cannot come soon enough!!

Does anyone own any of those art books? I’m thinking of collecting all the American ones. I see some pre-order for The Wind Rises and a new Princess Mononoke one?? I might pick them up.

*BUMP*

The review for Miyazaki’s swan song:The Wind Rises was in the paper today.It got 3 stars.While the reviewer

did praise the movie,he also pointed out that it glosses over the fact that it was about the man who invented the

infamous Zero that did so much damage during WWII.The review basically called it a ‘romanticized fiction’.

Nobuyuki
      Participant

mitsuki lover wrote:

The review basically called it a ‘romanticized fiction’.

That’s about right. ;)

julia
      I SAW THE MOVIE TODAY AND IT WAS AMAZING AND I WON’T BE DONE BEING EMOTIONAL OVER IT FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND IT WAS GREAT AND IF YOU CAN SEE IT, YOU SHOULD. Fucking 5/5 stars, shit man. IT WAS GOOD. IT WAS REALLY, REALLY GOOD. HAYAO MIYAZAKI IS THE BEST.
      SnowQueen
      I’m going to see the Wind Rises with my boyfriend when he comes back into town next week! I can’t wait! iloveit1

But so far Howl’s Moving Castle was the first I watched and my favorite ^_^ Also love the Cat Returns…heck I like all the ones of seen so far.

julia
      YAYAYAY! :D You’ll have to report back to us about how MUCH YOU LOVED IT c:

No one I know has seen it yet :( I’m trying to not spoil anything T_T Need someone to fangirl with! lol

I saw the trailers on tv.It looks great.Though my favorite remains Princess Mononoke.

I still need to see Areitty since I enjoyed The Borrowers books when I was a boy. soawesome1

And now Ghibli is going to do their first ever tv series.It’s been announced that Miyazaki’s son Goro will be involved

with a series called The Bandit’s Daughter which IIRC is based on a story written by the creator of Pippi Longstocking.So it has a European setting.

I’ve never seen a Miyazaki film in my life.

You read that right. Matter of fact my friend is surprised I haven’t seen a single one; he finds most anime fans have seen at least one, but I haven’t.

julia
      ^ You are REALLY missing out D: I assure you, they’re not popular for nothing! They deserve all the praise they get, and then some. Are you at all interested in seeing them (or even just a couple) ? Or, have you seen any Ghibli movies at all? Personally, Miyazaki is my favorite of all the directors there…

/ok yes I am a big Ghibli fan girl, but it’s not just my inner fangirl talking. THEY ARE VERY, VERY GOOD XD

Sorry I got the name of the tv series they’re working on wrong.It’s actually:Robia,The Robber’s Child.You can read up on it at Cartoon Brew in their tv section.

Actually Ghibli movies have been avaible on tv for some time.Disney XD when it was still Toon Disney aired

Kiki’s Delivery Service and TCM aired an entire ‘Month of Miyazaki’ including both dubs and subs of classics

including Princess Mononoke,Whisper of the Heart and the great Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

the latter of which featured a pre-Picard Patrick Stewart in the dub.

They also aired Only Yesterday which was a rarity.

Also the Toon Network aired Howl’s Moving Castle.Then also didn’t Toon Disney/Disney XD also air

Spirited Away?

I also have seen The Cat Returns on DVD. mmhmm1

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      I skipped over this somehow:

Quote:

Distribution company GKids announced on Tuesday that it will release Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata’s The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari) this year. The company opened a Facebook page for updates.

GKids orchestrated or collaborated in the theatrical release of the anime films Summer Wars, From Up On Poppy Hill, and A Letter to Momo, and has also announced a theatrical release for Patema Inverted this year.

mmhmm1

Princess Kaguya is probably one of the most popular Japanese fairy tales.It keeps popping up a lot in anime and manga.
      Nil Admirari
      none
      DiscoTek has a “semi-official” tumblr up for the upcoming DVD/Blu-Ray release of Castle of Cagliostro. Seems like they plan on sharing some behind the scenes info as they make it happen. They’ve already got a pretty nice cel transfer up. Time for an updated avy, Julia? kiyonesmile1

http://37.media.tumblr.com/3e5322069f7778a39d2f05ff68acdb42/tumblr_n3n3sm1g0A1txz4a8o1_r1_1280.png" />

Ryoko’s Stepdad wrote:

I’ve never seen a Miyazaki film in my life.

You read that right. Matter of fact my friend is surprised I haven’t seen a single one; he finds most anime fans have seen at least one, but I haven’t.

wth2 …..doEs nOt coMpUte

Anyways, my favorites? Howl’s Moving Castle & Spirited Away. Enough said.

The Cat Returns is one every cat lover needs to see. iloveit1

I admit I’m still curious about Arietty since I read The Borrowers books when I was a kid. It’s where I first read about ferrets.

julia
      Oh, The Wind Rises, when will you get a North American DVD release date? I’ve signed up to receive an email from amazon when it becomes available, but that does not stop me from checking at least once a week lol.

I recently ordered Turning Point: 1997~2008 ( http://www.amazon.com/Turning-Point-1997-2008-Hayao-Miyazaki/dp/1421560909 ). I haven’t read it all yet, but the little I have, I love it just as much as Starting Point.

I also ordered the art of The Wind Rises. It has a full English script, translation of Hikoukigumo, a lot of background art, some interviews and production art. It’s mostly screenshots(with bits of text), however. I would have preferred to have more images of storyboards and MORE production art over screenshots. Also, it has the movie posters near the back, but they don’t take up the whole page or are two to a page. I think it might have been better with each poster getting its own page.

It’s still a big, beautiful book though and I plan to order the rest when money permits, lol.

Gaff
      Participant
      Would actually watch the Moving Castle one…
      julia
      I’m treating this as a general Ghibli thread :P

but the International Studio Ghibli twitter posted some images from When Marnie was There

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl1CQdVCAAAI8Qn.jpg" />

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BlzmhZcCAAE39Df.jpg" />

The artwork looks exquiste especially the water colored scenery.
      julia
      I own all of these books and they are FANTASTIC, y’all should enter~

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/contest/2014-04-28/hayao-miyazaki-book-collection

Nil Admirari
      none

julia wrote:

I own all of these books and they are FANTASTIC, y’all should enter~

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/contest/2014-04-28/hayao-miyazaki-book-collection

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand entered.

Sounds interesting but I’ll pass.
      Nobuyuki
      Participant

julia wrote:

I’m treating this as a general Ghibli thread :P

but the International Studio Ghibli twitter posted some images from When Marnie was There

And now the trailer:

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAjMGl1mJg[/BBvideo]

From ANN:

In his second film, director Hiromasa Yonebayashi (2010’s The Secret World of Arrietty) is shifting the setting from the novel’s Great Britain to a Japanese village on the shores of Hokkaido.

Amazon posted a publisher’s description of the original novel:

Anna hasn’t a friend in the world – until she meets Marnie among the sand dunes. But Marnie isn’t all she seems…An atmospheric ghost story with truths to tell about friendship, families and loneliness. Anna lives with foster parents, a misfit with no friends, always on the outside of things. Then she is sent to Norfolk to stay with old Mr. and Mrs. Pegg, where she runs wild on the sand dunes and around the water. There is a house, the Marsh House, which she feels she recognizes – and she soon meets a strange little girl called Marnie, who becomes Anna’s first ever friend. Then one day, Marnie vanishes. A new family, the Lindsays, move into the Marsh House. Having learnt so much from Marnie about friendship, Anna makes firm friends with the Lindsays – and learns some strange truths about Marnie, who was not all she seemed…

julia
      Oh my gosh thanks for posting this !~!! ;W; I am so excited for this and the Princess Kaguya movie!! iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1 iloveit1
      SnowQueen
      Wow that looks like it’s gonna be tearjerker but it looks really good! I like the song in the trailer it really sets the mood for what type of tone the movie is gonna probably have.
      Just by looking at it you can tell that there’s going to be some sort of ghost story element to When Marnie Was There. A bit chilling and bittersweet at the same time.But done in the usual Ghibli fashion. iloveit1
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.