my original story eternal bonds neko

Forums Fan Stuff Fanfiction my original story eternal bonds neko

• This topic is empty.
    Participant
    a little heads up i know there are grammatical errors and if you have a hard time reading a section let me know and i will tell you what was supposed to go there. i’ve been working on this since the 8th grade and in my free time which was at norm between the hours of midnight-5 am. depending if i had to study for a test or babysit my three sibs. when i get a new mic or find the warranty for my current headset i will be more that happy to answer questions on mummble. i do have a form of dyslexia that is a genetic curse lol. this story i want to put it thru the waters of comic and game script so please give me your honest reviews as if you were a person from a comic or gaming company. if you want to draw concept are for it feel free i love to see what people see when they read this. i am centering the game around this story and its prequel and side story which at the current moment is still in is planning stages on how its going to tie in to the story. on another note this tale has a lot of adult language so if it offends you in any way im sorry in advance. i also use names of my closest friends and family only a few names are made up and for those who can help me get this story made i will give credit after all i am asking for help and i think it is fair. thanks for reading in advance. here is a link just in case i cant attach it http://damned-soul91692.deviantart.com/art/Eternal-bond-neko-forum-copy-439589780?ga_submit_new=10%253A1394498635
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Replies
      ookamilord
      Participant
      dont know if any has read eternal bonds yet but just in case i would peoples opinions of this general idea for a side story.

im going to have my main character’s grandmother tell him the story of the war that the planet eath lost to the galaxy police. (i know that the name is already in use but i dont have a catchy name for a police force that patrols the galaxy.) the grandmother tell him about what happened after the war and how people took the loss. the grandmother is 400 years old and she is telling her grandchild about what happened to her as a child. is this a little to complex? thanks for reading.

Anonymous
      When I get a chance this weekend Okamilord, I’m going to give it a run-through and post back here with the critique/response, thanks for linking to it!
      ookamilord
      Participant
      no problem i wasnt to sure if it would fit he list for family in the states. it was aimed for late teens and adults over in japan. there is no rush right now its a great debate on a few matters along with character introductions. i asked on mini chat about of there was a post for original none fanfic stories. a place for people to refresh themselves from writing or reading fanfics. just a thought i had but i know this is a tenchi forum and all just an random idea i get every now and again and some of those are bad. not law breaking bad but more bone breaking and hurting for a day bad. mmmm1. i forgot to add that i was aiming a more comic bookish writing format because i am bad at writing in novel format. blush1
      evilpii
      Participant
      none
      While this story is not Tenchi Muyo! fan fiction, I reciprocate the favor of your review of my work.

This segment serves as an introduction to a fantasy world torn between two armies at war. Prophecy has foretold that the descendants of each side will wed and bring an end to this conflict.

Overall, this segment was a rough read. As you stated in your original post, you are cognizant of your issues with mechanics, so I would recommend seeking out an outside editor. This option allows for another author to comment and critique the piece as it is developed. I recommend it as it has improved my own writing tremendously.

Thematically, the piece has a few interesting ideas. The mythos of the different clans and their destinies seems like it could follow a high fantasy route, a variety of races and their unique cultures and abilities. One could dive very deeply into the finer points of how these relationships operate or were established, perhaps even their origins.

That said, the exposition of these ideas could be improved. In particular, the setting is not particularly well established. The first two pages use the terms and naming conventions of feudal Japan with anthropomorphic fantasy elements. Yet, the following six pages describe a more modern school enviroment. Also, actual real world countries (i.e. the United States) are mentioned. Perhaps an establishing paragraph could set the stage for the reader before being thrust into this blend of fantasy and reality.

In the same vein, lots of exposition is done in the dialogue. If the characters should already know what the taboos and conventions of the world, those expository lines might best be relegated to descriptive paragraphs. For example, the prejudices against the spirit wolves might be common knowledge to those in this universe, while the reader would be unfamiliar. These facts might be best explained outside of dialogue. Take advantage of the written medium to economize your characters’ words to what they need to communicate to one another.

The tone of the story seemed inconsistent. For example, the opening segment has the Tenchi clan under attack from the Hojigoku clan, but the respective queens meet and chat like old friends in the midst of the battle. One even is said to have a “cheeful laugh” while battle is raging nearby. Considering the current stakes, one would think that these ladies would be more focused and serious in their demeanor.

Similarly, characterization seemed inconsistent. For example, the character Megumi is stated by Cody to “act more like my mother than my aunt”, yet she tells a story of him “pissing his pants” near the end of the segment. That does not sound like the actions of a surrogate mother, but rather an older sister teasing her brother. Perhaps that might be a better role for this portrayal of her. Likewise, several centuries-old creatures, such as the Rena and Vardna, childish or petty, contrary to their supposed wisdom and veneration. Perhaps this is an intentional contrast.

Furthermore, many characters are introduced and then dropped. For example, Blood Pike and Octavian are introdued and join the main party, but then seem to vanish into the background. This becomes cluttered as the characters seem to have served a purpose and then linger unnecessarily. The journey to Sleric’s den might be a good time to expand these characters and develop them. You could give the reader insight into the dynamics of the group, how they work together and learn to appreciate one another. Relegating potential character development to a paragraph of “X taught Y about technique Z” could be seen as a wasted opportunity to show the reader who these characters are, and who they are becoming.

In conclusion, I would like to emphasize that while this story does seem very rough, it has some potential to be expounded. With some more planning, and your story could be an epic to share with your readers. Invite us on a journey with your characters. Introduce them to us. Show us who they are, not just what they can do. Share with us their tears and triumphs, not just their battles and bravado.

ookamilord
      Participant
      i will try as soon as i get past the memory stuff and a few writing blocks that im having with some of the future points like when the intro of his insert x amount of great grandparents. they way i saw it that octavian and pike would be along till they get back from they’re trip which in real time is no more that hour. i also trying to figure out how im going to have the old smiths weapons try to trick them. they are so many things i have to do that it aint funny. an ill admit i am having problems because i never written more than 10 pages max on any story. i even stepped aside and started a bio sheet to try to help me with the mannerism of the characters and even that aint doin so well. but i want this to be a very fun ride for almost everyone given my hadicap in this field. i want to try to perfect it the best that i can.
      evilpii
      Participant
      none

ookamilord wrote:

i will try as soon as i get past the memory stuff and a few writing blocks that im having with some of the future points like when the intro of his insert x amount of great grandparents.

Actually, I have found the rewriting segments during a writer’s block can tear down the block. While you are rewriting and improving a previous segment, you are thinking about how the story will progress, how it will develop. Many times, that can spur the mind to new ideas that you did not consider in the first iteration.

ookamilord wrote:

i even stepped aside and started a bio sheet to try to help me with the mannerism of the characters and even that aint doin so well.

A reference sheet for all your cast would be a good idea. Writing down your ideas and arranging them before activity working on the story can improve your story. Again, this takes practice and time to develop.

ookamilord
      Participant
      i will. outside of this story here im still on page one of its prequel. i know that most say write the prequel after the story is finished lol. well the story with that is i thought i took the scandisc that had eternal bonds on it when i was visiting family in the dakota’s and i go thru stuff to find out that i forgot it. and one night i was bored so i turned on the lappy i had before this one and i didnt have a clue about what i was writing but it felt like my hands did so i went along for the ride and after i left the dakota’s the writing well dried up. i even got idea’s for eternal bonds while visiting the spirit mound and the bad lands but again after i left everything disappeared. blush1
      ookamilord
      Participant
      well for megumi i was aiming for an ogre like mother you see in most action/comedy anime. i tried to let the readers know the reason she acts this way was because she lost her baby during pregnancy and she is a little over protective but she has a hard time showing it without reliving the loss of her baby. my original intent for cody’s human parents were that they really didnt want a child but to keep their family’s honor and to pay back the favor they had no choice. i tried to let the readers also know that cody is a genius for humans but average intelligence for his race. so that makes him lazy. so how would i go about this. and for location i choose the iga mountain in japan because there are a lot of legends about the area and i thought it would be a great place to set up camp for a shadow wolf. as for as the sub characters that were introduced, they wont be there for very much longer. as for the queens i wanted to make them childhood friends that were forced into political marriage. i also try to portray that even there is a war its a more laid back one. one of the war concepts was over who ate the last cookie and so instead of fighting each other they bring the clan into it. i was planning on explaining why the wolves live in the hills in this memory time thing. as for their tears and triumps im planning on adding that as flash backs because up until the school got destroyed it was a very uneventful life. outside of the twins experiments and class pranks. i also wanted to make rena and vardna try to act more childish considering their immortality. for rena considering she has a phoenix effect when she dies she is reborn again and for vardna she stays in her own sub space until called. the idea for their personalities is a left field version of washu’s. i really want this story to do well giving the fact that it is at a disadvantage
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.