Naoko Hasegawa Novels Translation Project

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Translation Zone Naoko Hasegawa Novels Translation Project

none
    [align=center]http://i.minus.com/iMgNlCa6aLjVQ.png" />

Follow us on your Social Network of Choice:

http://i.minus.com/ibhdd1Jw50Ccig.png" /> http://i.minus.com/iVUiQxarv014u.png" />[/align]

The Tenchi franchise is massive and there are a ton of things we don’t have available in English, hence why we have this translation section. One that’s been bugging me a lot is the Hasegawa novels. There are 13 of them in total and only one has been put into any form which we on this side of the pond could understand – Midsummer’s Eve as the movie “Daughter of Darkness”. That still leaves 12 of them untouched, and hell I want to see what the novel may have had that the movie didn’t.

I wish to push for a translation effort to finally make the contents of these novels available. A 100% translation effort. There’s so much story there that we just don’t know! And seeing how Midsummer’s Eve tackled some very interesting issues that Tenchi hadn’t before, it makes me want to see what else Hasegawa had in store for our favorite group of space misfits. I want to do whatever it takes to get these stories translated.

At the moment details are scarce to find online about any of them. We have scans available here in the Novels section and title translations but not much else. The only other bit I could find was on ANB’s blog, which was only a translation done of Hasegawa’s introduction of herself and her involvement in OVA1’s production. Some cool info found in there but nothing relevant to the contents of the novel itself.

If you would like to join the crew and help us get these translated, by all means post and let us know! We can always use an extra pair of eyes, another brain to unscramble the Japanese text to English. Native Japanese understanding would be an excellent talent but if you’re unable to and still want to help we can get you set up with the same tools we at Heaven & Earth Translations use for our Doujin translation. If you can’t but know someone who can, don’t be afraid to point them here!

You can follow progress through this topic or through our Twitter account, the latter of which will be seeing more constant updates and goofy translation errors.

We’ll use this topic as a general basis for operations. Folks who want to lend a hand can post here, members of the team can talk progress here, it’ll serve as an all-encompassing discussion until we have a completed work worthy of its own thread. Perhaps once we’ve completed this, we can wrap back around and give the Shin Tenchi novels a full translation instead of the summary we currently have. It is late here so I may go back and add/change some things to this post later on but for now here be the OP.

Current team assigned to novel work:

Nil Admirari

WisperG

shadowsfall0

Crazed

JGZinv

Possibly to join:

Julia (Machine/hand translator) – Busy with School, may be able to lend a hand in the future.

Progress:

01.) One Visitor After Another: Hexagram Of Love (100% Complete!)

02.) Change Is Life – 01 (52%)

03.) Change Is Life – 02 (0%)

04.) Tenchi’s Gone Insane?! – 01 (0%)

05.) Tenchi’s Gone Insane?! – 02 (0%)

06.) The Lord of Chaos (0%)

07.) Even a Monkey can Conquer the World (0%)

08.) The Kids’ Life (0%)

09.) Hawaii Vacation (0%)

10.) Midsummer’s Eve (0%)

11.) The Stable Bride (0%)

12.) Good Health Breathes Disaster (0%)

13.) Dreamscape (0%)

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Replies
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      I may have classes and such but I want to contribute to this. Hasegawa’s novels are something I’ve been wanting to see translated for a while now, and I want to put forward the effort and help to get this done. I need the software but as you said, I can get it from Crazed or JG. The reader that you have that works with vertical text is a key asset for these novel’s too.

Basically, get me equipped and count me in. ^-^

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      julia
      I might be able to help. My school/schoolwork takes first priority for me, also since I have such weak Japanese skills (I know the kanas, only a small handful of kanji, random phrases and words, so I heavily rely on my books and various websites to look stuff up), I don’t know how much help I would be. I did manage to get the translation for -If-(but that was also just a sentence lol), so if you guys will provide me with the materials I can basically do the same thing, work at my own pace and do everything with my books and then maybe compare when we all get our stuff done. You guys get things done more quickly with the machines, I might just be in the way… I’ve also never done translations of big bodies of text (I sometimes translate comic pages for myself for practice) so this would also be new for me ^^;
      Nil Admirari
      none

julia wrote:

I might be able to help. My school/schoolwork takes first priority for me, also since I have such weak Japanese skills (I know the kanas, only a small handful of kanji, random phrases and words, so I heavily rely on my books and various websites to look stuff up), I don’t know how much help I would be. I did manage to get the translation for -If-(but that was also just a sentence lol), so if you guys will provide me with the materials I can basically do the same thing, work at my own pace and do everything with my books and then maybe compare when we all get our stuff done. You guys get things done more quickly with the machines, I might just be in the way… I’ve also never done translations of big bodies of text (I sometimes translate comic pages for myself for practice) so this would also be new for me ^^;

Schoolwork comes first, always!

Speed will ramp up the further we go along and the more members we amass so it may become a bit overwhelming for you depending on how much momentum we can build. Though as I said earlier I’d be more than willing to dump off the Machine Translations of the pages I did and you could refine whatever I came up with based on the actual pages for practice!

On that note, I want to start getting the word out beyond the borders of the forum itself. For this reason I’ve created a Twitter account that I will be posting progress to from time to time. This week I’d like to start a retweet campaign through the fandom to draw as many eyes to the project as humanly possible. We’ll need as much Tenchiforum twitter love as we can get. Perhaps the Tenchiforum tumblr/facebook can do a shoutout to the twitter account and forum thread once we start the campaign?

Organization. Something we’ll need to work on is collaborating, claiming who will take what blocks and what steps must be taken before a page is considered “done”. The simplest solution I’ve come up with so far is a private google docs spreadsheet made for each book. Page blocks will be divided and clearly labeled as claimed by a specific member, who will then update each page’s cell with a status. Something along the lines of “Incomplete” for a fully untranslated page, “Machine” for a fully machine-translated page and “Localized” for when the contents of that page have been converted into smooth, fluent English. Not set in stone though, things will possibly change over the next week or two.

Friend of mine suggested we try fishing for some folks from Baka-Tsuki, think it’d be worth going over there for?

Nil Admirari
      none
      Two things!

Firstly, we’ve hit a milestone in work already! The first block of 20 files has been completely machine translated and currently awaits clarity editing work. Book one’s got 11 blocks to cut through so we’re really just getting started but it’s an important footstep taken nonetheless.

Secondly, this Saturday (the 8th) I will be beginning our public outreach to the fandom who don’t come by the forums. We’re gonna need as many hands sharing and spreading the word as possible. I’ll make another post here when the campaign is live on our Twitter. After the tweet is live, we’ll need all the retweets and shares we can get. Point your tumblrs to that tweet, link it on your facebook, spread that mess like wildfire. Visibility is important, who knows when it will finally cross the eyes of someone who can help us out in a way others can’t?

Hoping for the best so we can get these novels translated as quickly and accurately as possible!

Nil Admirari
      none
      Just a reminder that today is the day we go public and begin our campaign to find some others who are willing to help! Keep an eye here or to the Twitter if you’re already following it.
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      And so it begins. gendo1 badass1
      "For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      Nil Admirari
      none
      Day 1 of the campaign has started off rather slow, but we did get one notable response/mention.

http://i.minus.com/ibnTNWKwfCWYOk.png" />

Yes, that is the official Meow (of Space Dandy fame) twitter account.

jgzinv
      Pretty cool, maybe you’ll get mentioned by the Noodlist.
      Nil Admirari
      none
      We hit our first milestone today, we are now over 10% complete with book one! Still an absurd amount of work to be done with converting the text and then cleaning it up to proper English. Yet, what we’ve read so far… everyone’s in for a hell of a ride.
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Keep up the good work you guys! You’ve made absolutely remarkable progress! You truly are pioneers badass1
      Yosho24

chucklocker wrote:

You truly are pioneers badass1

You know what they say. “You can’t be a hero hiding underneath your bed.” fyeah1

Nil Admirari
      none

chucklocker wrote:

Keep up the good work you guys! You’ve made absolutely remarkable progress! You truly are pioneers badass1

We take after the best, after all.

http://i.imgur.com/g2EldNy.gif" />

Nil Admirari
      none
      Made a Facebook page and added Social Network buttons to the OP. (click to go to the respective profiles!)
      Yosho24
      I’d love to help out, Nil. Unfortunately I don’t think I’d be much help though seeing as I’m not very good at these translation things. If you can figure out how I can assist in any way please let me know, I would love to be a part of this. Thanks, dude.
      Nil Admirari
      none

Yosho24 wrote:

I’d love to help out, Nil. Unfortunately I don’t think I’d be much help though seeing as I’m not very good at these translation things. If you can figure out how I can assist in any way please let me know, I would love to be a part of this. Thanks, dude.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated – neither Crazed (speaking in terms of his Doujin work), Shadow, Wisper or I had touched the software we’re currently using for translation work until we dove head first into it for the sake of getting stuff done. If you’re willing to learn the ins and outs we could get you up and running after some time. Otherwise, just spreading the word and making sure Tenchi fans see is a huge help.

Today I took a bit of a break from working on OCR and JP-> ENG translating to toy around with getting a workflow set up for another aspect we’ll have to get around to eventually.

(Click here for full size since image rescaling is currently broken on the forums)

http://i.minus.com/i8pCO8buPXPha.jpg" />

(Click here for full size since image rescaling is currently broken on the forums)

http://i.minus.com/i2QJc5EUrrDm1.jpg" />

http://i4.minus.com/ivoqMC5GBeTq4.jpg" />

A few imperfections and remaining color corrections aside, I should be able to get much clearer scans of the covers available. The color insert pictures and the B&W pictures on the pages may be a bit trickier since all I have is a flatbed and I don’t want to risk harming the books or destructively scanning by cutting the spine out of the book so every page becomes its own looseleaf.

Yosho24
      I’m spreading this all over Facebook on various Tenchi fan pages. I’ve also messaged those fan pages and asked them if they could spread the word too. Just re-activated my twitter too, so expect some retweets. Also planning on making a video similar to who’s and putting it out there for the fan base to see. I’m pretty busy right now but when things slow down, I definitely want to lend a helping hand in the project. We’re all here because we are fans, and that’s what brings us together. I consider you guys my friends, and friends always have each other’s backs. Keep up the good work everyone. We’ll get all of this done TOGETHER.
      Nil Admirari
      none

Yosho24 wrote:

I’m spreading this all over Facebook on various Tenchi fan pages. I’ve also messaged those fan pages and asked them if they could spread the word too. Just re-activated my twitter too, so expect some retweets. Also planning on making a video similar to who’s and putting it out there for the fan base to see. I’m pretty busy right now but when things slow down, I definitely want to lend a helping hand in the project. We’re all here because we are fans, and that’s what brings us together. I consider you guys my friends, and friends always have each other’s backs. Keep up the good work everyone. We’ll get all of this done TOGETHER.

We’re all in this together and I know i’m grateful for every little bit of help we get. Your activity on facebook is most appreciated, we’ve gotten some support from a few facebook pages already and having more pages draw attention to the project will be great. Thank you for your outreach work so far!

As Yosho had mentioned (and as seen on our Facebook/Twitter), our own Who has given us a shoutout on his Youtube channel!

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rwH6VGK-VQ[/BBvideo]

Youtube Vids hadn’t been something I had thought about in terms of spreading the word until he said so. And he’s already gotten himself a few extra subs out of it! kiyonesmile1

Lastly, our next big milestone has come and gone practically overnight! We’re now over 25% of the way through Novel 1! The work has been numbingly stressful at times but we’re seeing great things in the midst of our progress and really can’t wait to present our full findings. There’s still a ton of work to be done and if you’re reading this and able to lend a hand – we’d love to hear from you! There are only so many of us chipping away right now, if we want to get these out sooner we’ll need more fans helping us unearth what’s in the novels and whatever else lies beyond! And for everyone who has spread the word or deep in the mines covered in OCR dirt and grime – thank you so much.

Nil Admirari
      none
      Pardon the dust, but we’ve hit our next milestone! As of a few minutes shy of midnight we have officially hit 50% completion on Novel 1! In order to celebrate, not only are we here at the Hasegawa Translation Project/Heaven & Earth Translations popping a few corks to bring in the weekend but we have decided to share a small teaser from the opening of the novel that has been localized thus far. Major thanks to team member Crazed for his work on the following:

Quote:

“Happy new year.”

“Happy new year.”

“Happy new year!!”

A wonderful five part quintet was heard. It’s the new year, and the location is the parlor of the Masaki house.

“Oh, thank you…… very much……”

Despite it being New Years morning, Tenchi was still wearing his traditional monk attire, but before his eyes the girls appeared as glittering stars in their long sleeved kimono’s, Tenchi was so overwhelmed that he could not help but smile.

Starting from the left, the first, Ayeka Masaki. She is the first imperial princess of the kingdom of Jurai. She is the perfect princess, but she recognizes that she can be sly. She is the very model of a Japanese woman, however her personality is somewhat scary when she obsesses over something.

Second. Sasami Masaki. She is the second princess of Jurai’s royal family. She is Ayeka’s younger sister, she has many practical talents (primarily with the housework). She is cute, steady, and headstrong.

Third. Ryoko. She used to be a mummy. She is the demon of the shrine. She was a former puppet that has very high intelligence and fighting power. However, there are no need for such things in peaceful times. She can go through walls, fly through the air, and create an energy sword. She can also summon demons from the land and water simply by using her voice. She is surprisingly naive.

The fourth. Mihoshi. She is a competent first class detective of the Galaxy Police. Although, with the number of demolished buildings, bills, and all of the written complaints, you wouldn’t think she would be a first class detective. Now she’s carefree and spends all of her time taking care of her hair.

And finally, Washu. She was the most gifted scientist at the academy. She specializes in biotechnology. She was the late Kagato’s professor, and is Ryoko’s mother. Although she appears to be a child, she is, in fact, the oldest out of the five (there is a reason for this). Her personality……. well, it’s best left to the imagination.

How did these five beautiful girls end up at Tenchi Masaki’s house? The reason lies in outer space……..

I’m incredibly proud of all the hard work everyone has put into making this project a reality thus far. Things are really taking shape in the novel and every day I grow more and more excited to see the end result and to be able to share it with fans of the series. Thank you to everyone who has been waiting patiently while we work. And once again thank you to every one of us chipping away at these ol’ tomes.

Nil Admirari
      none
      Just a teeny little nibble from Novel 2.

http://i.minus.com/ibkfrAIvFA9p7y.jpg" />

ChaudSept
      A year ago, plus a few days, Nil gave us the last preview of the second novel. It has been a year, so it is kinda an anniversary!

An anniversary is a good moment to remember.

To remember that a dozen of novels are waiting.

To remember of how great Hexagram of Love was, for various reasons.

To remember that translating a novel in proper english is equal to a tremendous amount of work.

Could you imagine if Okuda’s 22 visual novels weren’t officialy translated? Would fanscan’s groups take over that much mangas? Maybe, maybe not. How much would have been lost?

To all of you who think that they can’t do anything but wait, you are so wrong. Don’t be naive, publicity won’t do a thing, no you can’t recruit people on project like this. But showing interest… Oh Gosh, interest is by far the best thing any human wants to get.

I hope that when the project starts again, support will come by too.

“Well done, fellows”

“Here is what I think of it…”

“How is it going so far?”

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Well this is kinda pointless since almost everyone has gone to discord now, but i started Translating a little of Hasegawa novel 12. I don’t care if it’s out of order, the scene of Kiyone blushing at a guy has been bugging me for awhile now. I just have to know what is going on.
      jgzinv
      Sometimes only the undead haunt the halls…
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Went through and did all the unfinished parts of novel 2.

Here is a part from the Afterword from Hasegawa (I think if I translated correctly)

Quote:

“Tenchi”, is a “space-friendly” story that connects stars by the aura of love. Every piece so far became a star, I will make a constellation of “Tenchi”. That constellation is shining, of course, readers, it is your love!

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Since the forum opened back up, translation status of Hasegawa novels is:

Novel 2: all untranslated parts done

Novel 3: story done (other parts not)

Novel 4: story done (other parts not)

Novel 5: rip done, translation in progress

Novels 2 and 3 are in the discord writing_translation_chat, I do not want to post any novels on the forum in case of copyright hits. Also, I am still in need of editors to actually help with the translation, all translations are rough. Future novels done will be posted in discord until changed.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none
      Update on Novels:

Novels 2-12 done

Still in need of translators fluent in Japanese and editors.

All novels available for download on discord in google docs.

Please do not copy and post on to other places, do not want to cause the forum trouble.

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.