No Need To Review Tenchi: My Blog Dedicated to Tenchi

Forums Fan Stuff Tenchi Projects No Need To Review Tenchi: My Blog Dedicated to Tenchi

• This topic is empty.
    http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/

I have decided as a fun project to keep me occupied in my down time to recap and review every episode of the OAV, Universe, and Tenchi in Tokyo. I’ll probably do the Okuda manga too. My goal for the project is really two fold:

1) Understand my own personal connection to the franchise and allow me to really see what it is that hooks me in as a fan.

2) *Potentially* Draw in new viewers to the show.

I will basically be doing this episode to episode and will be as in-depth as I can be. Only the introduction and “Ryoko Resurrected” have been completed, but I do hope to be churning these out in some kind of consistent basis. I did, for the record, link to the two Tenchicasts that feature interviews with Petrea and Matt as well as a plug to the website.

Who knows, maybe you can rediscover Tenchi in a new way. I hope to.

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Replies
      Looks very nice so far drillmaster.
      ChaudSept
      I will read you !

I like reading other people’s analysis !

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Cool dude! I’ll definitely give this a look, but first and foremost like you said it sounds like it could really be a fun and constructive outlet for yourself.

Feel free to continuously update in this thread if you’re ever feeling you need to summon the attention of more Tenchi fans!

Also, thank you for the shout-outs! ^^ I hope you have fun with this, as you will undoubtedly have new takeaways and profound appreciations for various facets of something you greatly enjoy simply from having taken the time to hammer out your thoughts in written form.

badass1

drillmaster
      Thanks for the kind words everyone! Yeah, I’ve been really wanting to do some kind of writing project and this seemed like a good idea. I’m having a blast writing it. As of right now, I’ve only just reached the part in “Here Comes Ayeka” where we are introduced to Sasami and I’ve already wrote 7 pages of writing.

And thank you Chaud for making individual comments and pointing some things out for me over on the blog itself. That’s awesome!

segaman4
      I gonna definitely check it out when I have time!. im also going to check out your fanfic also.the dc x tenchi crossover
      drillmaster
      Awesome! I’d love to hear what you think of both! It still has 5 or so chapters to go, but between both projects I’m pretty happy to lose myself in writing on my down time.

I’m aiming to finish another blog post by Sunday, so if you are interested, keep your eyes peeled! woooo1

segaman4
      Thanks! I definitly will! I can also see that your a dc fan yourself. Also when you have time check out my story no need for jerren and ami.
      drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/05/tenchi-muyo-episode-two-here-comes-ayeka.html

The review/ recap for “Here Comes Ayeka!” is up and live. Enjoy folks!

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/06/tenchi-muyo-episode-3-hello-ryo-ohki.html

I’m on a role with have of OVA 1 completed. Read on for “Hello Ryo-Ohki” where I point out this episode’s fantastic use of visual storytelling and how Ayeka becomes an actual character.

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/06/tenchi-muyo-episode-four-mihoshi-falls.html

I’ve reached the single most infamous episode of Tenchi yet. Join me as I discuss how Ryoko’s lack of clothing is representative of her personality, make a lot of references to Spider-Man and Mega Man, and discuss why Toonami did a fantastic job editing this episode and the love it showed the franchise. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

ChaudSept
      I’m eager to see how the rating will fluctuate when you’re getting to OVA2. When I think about it, the two first OVAs feel really different.. it will be interesting to see how it sways your rating.

I’m also interest in the future episode’s rating of TU and TiT, compared to ova1.

drillmaster
      I know! The second OVA is really a series of “Slice of Life” episodes as opposed to one overarching narrative. I’m intrigued where it will end up. I’m honestly amazed that THIS is the highest ranking episode so far and “Here Comes Ayeka” is the lowest.

For the record, I’ve done a bit of cleaning up on the blog. Now each blog post has its own page. It’s still the same content. This makes things a bit easier to navigate in the long run.

Edit: Just saw your comment on the blog. Thank you for pointing out the more direct translation. Always love an opportunity to plug this place. To be fair, a lot of it falls into line with the old summary, but it is better to see it in its purest state. Still, that makes me think about Sasami’s age even more, since the manga (which isn’t canon in Kajishima’s eyes obviously) always referred to her as around 900, which would make her roughly 5.

Thanks again for commenting. I love feedback and am glad that you picked up on my little OVA 3 foreshadowing. Ugh. Kiyofacepalm1

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/06/tenchi-muyo-episode-five-kagato-attacks.html

Kagato has finally arrived and things get real very fast. Join me as I attempt to draw out a timeline for this episode, talk about The Empire Strikes Back, and realize just how amazing Katsuhito really is. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-muyo-episode-six-we-need-tenchi.html

This is it! The final episode of the first OVA! Join me as we listen to the greatest instrumental piece of music in the franchise and see what happens when our main protagonist is dead! Intrigued? Read more and find out!

ChaudSept
      You completed what is to me, the best Tenchi material. Its main rival being Tenchi Universe.

I think so far you’ve been very objective. And that’s great. It will be a challenge to analyse OVA2 whitout the prior idea of “Oh, this time it is a kinda Slice of Life series, so I shall adjust my grading”. I hope you will try to rediscover ova2, knowing that the only thing you saw before, was an amazing Space Opera. Will you be disappointed ? wth2 . We shall find out.

About what I said on the 5th review.

The thread I was talking about. It point out the law, made by Asuza, “The first Queen will be of Jurai, and the second from another planet”. This implies that Misaki is the first and Funaho the second, as of OVA1. I know for a fact that this is the case in Nahoko Hasegawa 2nd novel (can’t proove it yet, and kinda different continuity, up to debate).

So why for Kajishima, whyyy, in the 101 Secrets novel (release date about just before OVA2, probably) says :

Quote:

Funaho’s mark is made of makeup. Funaho is the first queen, hence she has a single mark. Misaki who is the second queen, has two marks.

Right, here.

The stuff I talk about under your 6th review, well I don’t know if you’re interested, but I am wth2 .

I take infos only from there http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=919 , Japanese staff section.

Director, screenplayer, scriptwriter, character designer… Who’s the real boss here ? I read sometime that the screenplayer wright down the director’s ideas in a proper way. Is it more complicated ? I think it is since the fadom acknowledge Kajishima has the holy jesus of the carnival (/sarcasm).

As for other example : Negishi was the director and a screeplayer of Tenchi Muyo in Love. Is this movie the closest iteration of Negishi’s idea of Tenchi Muyo ?

~ Just technical stuff that I’m genuinely interested in ~

drillmaster
      Thanks as always for the comments Chaud. You always seem to point out something new. I vaguely recall reading Ryoko was based on I Dream of Jeanie, but I totally forgot that. I wish I knew more about the Hayashi/ Kajishima falling out, it seems so mysterious. I get a Gary Kurtz/ George Lucas vibe from the whole thing (seriously, I can’t make up these Star Wars references. I think only Transformers the Movie and Spaceballs have Tenchi topped)

I have a new appreciation for OVA 1. The storytelling was pretty tight, everything had a purpose to some degre (incest withstanding), and was really well done. Tenchi grew a bit and proves why these girls like him. All of this is done without the over the top flirting or eve the abundance of rape jokes that litter Night Before the Carnival.

The sharp change from OVA 1 to Night Before the Carnival was far more jogging than I remembered. Everyone always talks about how Mihoshi’s character traits were exaggerated in Universe, but does anyone ever talk about the jarring shift in Ryoko’s character from Episode Six to Seven? It really stands out to me.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the “slice of life” stories, but there should be some kind of progression in the plot or characters when working with animation like this. Okuda can get away with a lot of random things and short chapters because they build upon character moments or even side characters. It also helps that there is a good balance of seriousness and comedy. This episode…is all over the place and is kind of confusing at times.

I finally finished the review today, and I will admit it is going to be long, but I am as fair as I can be with an episode that has barely any plot. I just need to format it and add the screen caps I took as I watched the episode.

After this episode? I think I may do something different…

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/07/tenchi-muyo-episode-seven-night-before.html

We have reached a new era of Tenchi Muyo! where nearly all of the original creative team has jumped ship. This changes things in very significant ways. Join me as I stomach through several jokes of poor taste and practically fall asleep at times. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

drillmaster
      We get two blog posts today! One I have been working on for a while but never finished, the other is one I have been excited about:

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/07/tenchi-continuity-brief-guide-to.html

Tenchi Continuity: I know I have mentioned that there are more than one Tenchi continuity that I plan on reviewing, but what IS continuity? Join me as I discuss Superman, Dragonball, and Tenchi. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/07/no-need-for-tenchi-volume-one-no-need.html

No Need for Tenchi Manga Volume One: It is the beginning of a special feature that will run on again and off again until I finish every volume! In this first volume, meet the gang again and discover that Ryoko has a clone or a twin! Plus, watch Tenchi get hilarious again! Intrigued? Read more and find out!

That’s right, I’m reviewing the Okuda manga too.

Good call on reviewing the manga, which is great.
      drillmaster
      Hey Charlie and Chaud, I want to say thank you for both of you commenting on my blog. It means a lot that you guys took the time to share your own perspective on Tenchi with me. That was a hope of mine when I started this blog.

I was always going to review the manga in bits. I converted an old scanned version into a PDF awhile ago so I could put them on my Ipad, which is why the screenshots have little bars on the side occassionally. I’m just too lazy to clean them up.

Still, I’ve been working on this all night, but I just finished the Second Volume review:

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/07/no-need-for-tenchi-volume-two-sword-play.html

In our second special foray into the Okuda canon, the Yakage conflict concludes in a manner that you would not expect. Join me as we get drunk with a coward-bully-cad-and-thief and realize just how amazing Okuda is at utilizing these characters. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

Enjoy this review, because next time is “Hello Baby!”, which is so appropriate for me it hurts blush1

Edit: I’ve also started a general hub for all of my OVA Reviews:

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-muyo-ryo-ohki-ova-canon.html

It can be accessed for now in the Continuity post, but I am toying with a permanent post in the Index Bar.

ChaudSept

drillmaster wrote:

I was always going to review the manga in bits. I converted an old scanned version into a PDF awhile ago so I could put them on my Ipad, which is why the screenshots have little bars on the side occassionally. I’m just too lazy to clean them up.

lol, I did the same as you a few month ago, for the exact same reason! Tablets ftw.

Not considering Kajishima’s timeline as the main one, now that’s something that a lot of people here will like! You should advertise your reviews as such “Nope, I do not like incest, nor I do like harem. Here we go anyway”

So… Are you planning to review Hexagram of Love as well? I can only encourage you to do so. (And it will be a great hommage to the heaven & earth translation). But if you do I would suggest you wait a little haha. You’ve got a lot of thing to review anyway.

segaman4
      Hey sorry you didnt like episode 7. To me perdonally it was funny espe elly what. Mihoshi did to ryoko and ayeka in the end. But yeah it was different from ova1 somewhat. Im sorry to here that your not doing gxp or geminar but i guess you have your reasons. Oh and i cabt wait for the rest of your reviews im pumped!. And also ive updated arc 2 of my fanfic so when you ever have time come check it out
      drillmaster
      I haven’t ruled out doing GXP yet Segaman4, but that will be something I do after Universe and Tokyo. Geminar though…it doesn’t really have that much to do with Tenchi in general besides a cameo from Washu and the harem-esque qualities of the females on Geminar. Who knows? Maybe I will review it in time. As for Episode Seven, it is not that I didn’t enjoy it, but the humor kind of hurts the characters in the end. Washu, as much as I love her, is really not likeable when she forces herself like that. It is the same thing that I will no doubt bring up in Episode 13.5 when she leaves Ryoko chained up and exploits her fear. These things are played for laughs, but if you care about the characters it stops being funny. Nurse Washu will forever be a famous part of her character and there is humor that can be taken from it, but Tenchi reminds you exactly what is taking place.

Chaud, I plan to do practically everything I can get my hands on. This includes the rest of Okuda’s manga, any translations of the Shin Tenchi Novels, the Hasegawa Novels if they get translated (God I would love to compare Daughter of Darkness to the novel.), the Pioneer comics, and probably the Pretty Sammy OVA. I love what you guys are doing with the Hasegawa novels and if all I can do is promote it, then promote it I shall.

The Hasegawa stuff will probably come after OVA 3 or after Universe. Either way, it will be before Tokyo.

As for Jurai…I mentioned already how many times Kajishima loves to mention things that will happen. “Here we are fighting at a chapel ( just like Tenchi will) and Azusa is perplexed at Kagato’s power (because he does not know about Kagato’s assimilation with the Naja clone). He uses a mysterious technique (which he will use in that fateful duel with Tenchi)…etc.” It is fascinating on a story level to know all of these things, but damn, the man is repetitive.

Thanks for reading guys. It does my heart good to know my work is getting out there and finding an audience.

segaman4
      Ok i still cant wait. And like i said check my updates because i have some new chapters. And ill check up yours also.
      drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/07/tenchi-muyo-episode-eight-hello-baby.html

OVA 2 is finally here and we are going to be introduced to the newest member of the Masaki household…a baby! Join us as we see the girls change diapers, make bottles, and realize that Washu might actually be a character after all. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

I really love the scene where Washu is taking care of the baby by giving him a bath in the hot springs and she’s thinking of her own…when the baby does what babies generally do…
      ChaudSept
      Senpai noticed me

Here you are, both feet in the second OVA, standing proud!

OVA2 is really loved in the fandom, so much that it is “always” put together with OVA1 when we see “I love the OVAs”. Yet, both are really different, we know it, and your review leaves no doubts.

I’m eager to see how your grading will adapt to all the twists, plots, and background stories to come.

But, one thing, I’m not the head of the hasegawa translation project, Nil is. Erase this status you shall. I’m the head of another thing.

What I like about this episode (and OVA2 at large) is that we get a first look at Kajishima’s extended universe. While there are some troubles with OVA1, Kajishima, Hasegawa and canoncity, there is nothing but explicit (more or less) link between OVA2 and the novels. The TTN, if not the prequel of OVA1, are the prequel of OVA2. (Though there are some big contradiction too, I’m sure you’ll catch a few).

I’m also kinda disturbed by all this incest-family-tree, but I’m interest by the “everything is linked” feeling. (I feel like I already said that). What I like : Kaji throw out these flashbacks in 1994, and 4 years later or so, the novel explains it. I like it, and it doesn’t feel dropped out of nowhere like most stuff in OVA3.

drillmaster
      Damn it, I put Hasegawa instead of Eternal Memory. That needs to be reworded immediately.

I was hoping you wouldn’t mind the shout out, but I’m not going to lie, I tend to learn a lot and get pointed in a lot of good discussions through your comments.

I really do like OVA 2 a lot. It is my exposure to Tenchi and I do like seeing the girls in new situations. However, there does need to be a balance of what you are trying to show in an episode. Tone is very important when it comes to storytelling and it can make or break an invested story. Thankfully, I do recall a better balance when it comes to the last five episodes, especially the review I’m working on now.

When we get to OVA 3…less so. I’m not looking forward to that. Not at all.

Yeah, well it’s not like you can go and entirely ignore it either. That’s the problem with going through and reviewing the entire franchise like that: you have to take the bad with the good. So I guess you’re going to just have to suck it up and look on the bright side of things: soon the horror that is OVA 3

will be in your taillights receding away like an awful memory.

drillmaster
      Yeah, if I purely wanted to examine only the “good shows”, that wouldn’t make an entertaining blog or show any meaningful research. OVA 3, though I did not like it for a multitude of reasons, will no doubt be utterly fascinating to review because of what makes it the low point of the three OVAs.

It’s that exact same reason why I, though I have absolutely no prior experience with it save sitting through the Kajishima written episode, will have to get to GXP at some point. I can argue that Saint Knights Tale/ War on Geminar is removed enough from Tenchi that it puts it lower on the totem pole than, say, the Pretty Sammy OVA, but GXP is set in that world. It has to be done for posterity’s sake. Who knows? I might enjoy it.

My thoughts for the reviewing schedule tentatively look like this:

OVA 2

The Mihoshi Special

No Need for Tenchi vols. 3-6

Shin Tenchi Novels

OVA 3

No Need for Tenchi vols. 8-10

Universe part one

No Need for Tenchi vols. 11-12

Universe part two

Tenchi Muyo in Love

No Need for Tenchi vol 7

Tenchi Forever

Eternal Memory

Hexagram of Love

Daughter of Darkness

Tenchi in Tokyo

All New Tenchi Manga (I’ll fit it in somehow)

GXP

Pretty Sammy OVA

Pioneer Comics

Ai Tenchi Muyo

It is a long stretch and I may change the order around, but this is my overall goal. I have no idea how long it will take, especially since my kid will be born by the end of February, so we will see where I am at that point. I hope to finish OVA 2 before the end of August.

segaman4
      This is the order i eould do it by:

Ova3

Gxp

War on geminar

Universe

Tokyo

ChaudSept
      I have a few questions about your list.

Are you planning on reviewing The All New manga the same way you did for No Need ?

Reviewing the TTN ? Huh? I mean.. You do what you want, but reviewing a summary seems a bit.. empty. What can you do but witness the story ?

It’s true that there are actual translations in the summary, but is that enough? I guess you decide.

drillmaster
      First off, yes, I’ll be doing both sets of mangas the exact same: recapping and reviewing each individual chapter and then analyzing the overarching story and work Okuda has crafted. I know that two of my favorite stories are in All New Tenchi Muyo, but probably my least favorite story is in it too.

As for the TTN, it’ll be a single post that includes whatever information I can find. I know there are the summaries and the fan translated version that Tenchiform hosts, but mentioning things like Airi and Naja will be useful come OVA 3.

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/07/tenchi-muyo-episode-nine-sasami-and.html

This is a big one for me folks: the first ever episode of Tenchi Muyo! I ever saw. Join me today as we enter a Scooby Doo cartoon, discuss why Nobuyuki is amazing, and get mortified at how dark this episode can get. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

That was a very valid question about why Ryo-Ohkl’s reflection isn’t seen on top of Tsunami’s in the water if she was sitting on top of Sasami.
      drillmaster
      Sorry for the lack of updates all. I’ve been having fun with the pregnancy so my writing time has been brought down to zero. However, I hope to finish the Episode 10 review tomorrow and hopefully have it up before the week’s end. It takes a few hours to actually upload and place all of the pictures. The actual recap part is about 90% finished so we will see what I can do.

And now you know!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2NOpUKVZyXk/VWdtDyG1saI/AAAAAAAAAU4/OfSN2m0W7JE/s1600/psa_copy_use_0.jpg" />

And knowing is half the battle!

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-muyo-episode-ten-i-love-tenchi.html

In this episode, we learn what makes Ryo-Ohki tick. Join me as I talk to two psychologists about this show and realize what would happen if I were to cross Tenchi with Loony Tunes. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

drillmaster
      Wow, another review down! I’m almost done with OVA 2!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/08/tenchi-muyo-episode-eleven-advent-of.html

What’s this? We actually have a story with lasting conflict this time around? Astounding! Join me as we see Kajishima’s plot points converge about a woman we only say once before in a dream, see “Ryoko” turn beat red no less that three times, remember that Mihoshi has a job, and realize that despite it all Washu is hilarious. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

drillmaster
      http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/2015/08/tenchi-muyo-episode-twelve-zero-ryoko.html

It’s part two of the Doctor Clay conflict and things are starting to heat up. Join me as we watch two scientists talk for a half hour, discuss comedic villains, and play games like Starfox and Donkey Kong. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

I seriously cannot believe I have one episode to go (and seven minutes of static images) before I finish the second OVA!

ChaudSept
      I’ve been late. But now I’m fine.

Reviewing the eps like that, you really see numerous thing that I’d just never seen. Good stuff.

Now, let’s go for the episode where 3 interesting characters are shown, but you’ll never see them again. Or.. kinda.

drillmaster
      A double post to make up for the long period between reviews! I’d like to thank evilpii and ChaudSept for allowing me to discuss their posts on the board involving a certain Prince and his Mother…

Episode Thirteen: Here Comes Jurai!

Our journey with OVA 2 draws to a close as we look back on an extra long special episode of Tenchi Muyo! Join me as we say goodbye to classic minor characters, look at the largest gathering of screencaps on my blog, examine two fan theories about Yosho and his family, wrap our brains around the single worst casting choice in the English dub, and fawn over two of the best side characters in the OVA canon. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

Episode Thirteen and a Half: Here Comes Jurai 2!

As it turns out, THIS is our last journey into the world of OVA 2. Join me as I try to figure out just WHAT this is, realize that OVA Washu is cruel, feel sorry for a certain space pirate, and realize that this “episode” is the most straight to the point “episode” in the entirety of OVA 2. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

drillmaster
      Folks, it is time for the oddity that is The Mihoshi Special.

For today’s review, I tackle one of the most hotly debated pieces of animation in all of the Tenchi franchise. Is this a part of the OVA or its own continuity? Did everything actually happen or is Mihoshi making things up? I don’t know but I’m going to try to find out. Join me as I try to figure out just what the hell is happening, realize that Mihoshi has a very warped view on reality, meet a new Tenchi girl, and die a little on the inside when I see something that never should have been animated. Intrigued? Read more and find out

drillmaster
      I updated the review after Charlie’s comment about him remembering it on Toonami. I scoured the internet to see whether Toonami aired it and if they did how they edited it. In doing so I learned something interesting. To quote:

“We never aired, nor had access to the special. I have no idea why a clip from it might have ended up in the promo. And we never aired it because… it’s not very good!”

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/117986943977

That means the rights for The Mihoshi Special are different that the OVA, Universe, and Tokyo. This may explain why Funimation didn’t rerelease it on DVD or Bluray.

drillmaster
      How meta, today I’m reviewing the Tenchiforum translation of Hexagram of Love!

Today we look at a labor of love from the fandom: the Tenchiforum translation of the first Hasegawa novel! Join me as we learn about character development, see what the original vision for Tenchi Muyo! might have been, and realize that Tenchi might actually like women. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-muyo.html dawohki1

drillmaster
      Today, we return to the world of the Okuda Manga and take a look at three stories containing our favorite cast of characters. Join us as we see Sasami get a new pet, get introduced to a designated hunter type villain, figure out what the deal is with Tenchi’s old childhood friend, bust some ghosts with Washu, peer deep into the minds of Ryoko and Ayeka, and examine a world where the Tenchi characters are not what you remember them as. Intrigued? Read on and find out!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/no-need-for-tenchi-volume-three-magical.html

Loved the review. I think the Hiwa story sounds interesting. Nice to learn again that Tenchi had a normal life before all the chaos dropped on him. But what was the purpose of the Staypuff Man in

the Magical Pretty Sasami story? I think I mentioned before elsewhere but I kinda like Pixie Misa.

soawesome1

And MIT? yeah…in any version Washuu’s a genius. It might have been the translator localizing it so

North American readers could understand her totally soawesome1 intellect (of course Washuu is not

above doing it herself!).

drillmaster
      Thanks for the kind words. I love getting any kind of feedback of these. So what better way to celebrate than to have another review: The Shin Tenchi Novels!

The time to begin OVA 3 is almost upon us, but before we can dive into that, we need to examine three novels that provide crucial backstory for these next seven episodes. There is only one problem: they were never translated and, as such, I have to rely on partial fan translations and summaries to fill in the gaps. Join us as we learn a lot about Kagato’s past, see Washu be a genuinely nice person, meet the single worst Tenchi character I have ever met, and wish that these things would just be translated to make our lives easier. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-muyo_3.html

drillmaster
      OVA 3 is here and we are diving right into the madness that Kajishima has prepared for us. Is this going to be as bad as I was expecting or will I be pleasantly surprised? Join me as we get some answers, pose some questions, deal with a hard loss for the series and the controversial change that came about from it, and get some much needed Nobuyuki time. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-muyo-episode-fourteen.html?m=1

Anonymous
      Drillmaster, just want to point out something.

Petrea did TECHNICALLY decline the role, but not because she wanted to retire, she declined (she FINALLY said why after 10 years at Anime Fargo this year) because Funimation were incredibly unprofessional with her.

They contacted her, she asked for a rate that was more in line with what she thought she was worth (IE Actually getting paid) and Funimation never responded, cut ties with her and dubbed it behind her back (I’m paraphrasing of course) but the answer is finally out there.

The very same thing happened with Jeff Nimoy and the main cast (sans Johnny) of Trigun.

drillmaster
      Now isn’t that interesting. I knew from Matt Miller’s comments in his Tenchicast that Funimation was kind of shifty in their treatment of the original actors (mind you, you had to read between the lines of what he was saying, but the implication was clear) but that’s a shame. This means that even if OVA 4 is brought over, odds are she won’t be contacted at all.

Oh well, at least Daughter of Darkness is supplying me with by Burchard kick at the present moment.

Anonymous

drillmaster wrote:

Now isn’t that interesting. I knew from Matt Miller’s comments in his Tenchicast that Funimation was kind of shifty in their treatment of the original actors (mind you, you had to read between the lines of what he was saying, but the implication was clear) but that’s a shame. This means that even if OVA 4 is brought over, odds are she won’t be contacted at all.

Oh well, at least Daughter of Darkness is supplying me with by Burchard kick at the present moment.

Idk if she wouldn’t be called, but I’m skeptical really of Funimation even attempting to get it, they’ve shown no current interest in Ai.

Maybe they’ll make an attempt, maybe they’ll hire her back and make her a secondary character, ALA Ghost in the Shell: Arise, anyway, keep up with the reviewing.

jgzinv
      We know they have one person in charge of the license at Funimation. So a lot is up to them.

Funimation is also a company obsessed with numbers and what makes sense to them internally only.

About the only way I see them getting Petrea (and since the cat’s out of the bag, that relationship may be

even harder to repair) is if they get a announcement that they are doing OVA 4, and the fans make another stink

in a very public manner. It’d help if Mona was too booked to pick up Tenchi too, but the problem is she’s more than

one voice. So as far as cost, she makes a lot of sense.

Remember back in 2013 we were told the movies and universe were selling well for them. Ai was just not taken well

in Japan, so they might get that cheap, but I expect that they have no interest. They could have picked it up already and

said something if that was the case. On the flip side, AIC could demand if Funi wants OVA 4, then they have to take Ai,

that’s not an unusual tactic, but then Funi will probably camp on Ai and not spend the extra to dub and release it. Sadly

they aren’t the type of group to do sub only releases.

At the end of the day it’s about money with Funimation, and in their mind they have to have costs low enough to have probability tell them they will more than break even, and that means squeezing VAs and every step of the process. So they have to be shown there is value in returning Petrea for that role for them to care. Otherwise, they will substitute her. It’s a business, not a fan club, despite what they claim.

Really if they were smart, they’d try something like a kickstarter or presales poll. If you have choices between box set A, and Box set B, and one has these features and one has those, then you go with what is most popular, and put a premium on it. As long as the customer believes it retains enough value, they’ll buy it. For a lot of fans Petrea is worth a handful of bucks to cast as Ryoko. This would solve both problems, as well as their issue with special features and physical doo-dads.

But hey what do I know, I’m just a guy leading an anime club of 360 people, starting a convention, and been in Tenchi land for 14 years.

drillmaster
      In our first two part review, we look at a movie that barely is about Christmas but has enough to warrant a look at in the month of December! Join me as I look at an adaptation of a book I have never read, meet ANOTHER new girl, and see what happens when all tension is taken away from a mystery in the beginning of a story. Intrigued? Read more and find out!

http://noneedtoreviewtenchi.blogspot.com/p/tenchi-movie-two-daughter-of-darkness.html

For the record, I’ve been so wrapped up in my upcoming wedding and the upcoming birth of my daughter that sitting down and writing reviews have been rather hard to do. Hence why I at least wanted to get one half done in time for the holiday season.

Weddings, am I right aquateencarl1

I think you shouldn’t worry about getting reviews done, since you have more important priorities,

e.g. the birth of your daughter and your marriage.

As a DC fan I loved the reference to Superboy Prime.

My one question would be though: How would a Princess from the planet Jurai living in Japan know about Jesus?

Yes, I know that Christianity has been in Japan for several hundred years now, but I’m not sure how much the average Japanese would know about Christmas being Jesus’s birthday; especially someone from an alien planet where they obviously have never heard of the holiday.

All in all another fine review and I really loved the way you incorporated How The Grinch Stole Christmas rhyming scheme into it.

drillmaster
      I think a bigger question is how would Sasami know who Burgermeister Meisterburger is. I can see Yosho, being a priest and everything, to know about the various religions on Earth and, if Sasami was curious enough, would share it with her, but what are the odds that Sasami came across a Japanese dubbed version of Santa Claus is Coming to Town?

And thanks for the kind words Mitsuki. Gotta miss the old days where any continuity error could be pointed directly to Superboy Prime. God, its sad that Infintie Crisis is considered the “old days.”

Almael
      I’m pretty sure Ayeka watches TV. Although, I admit she probably watches only the XMAS shows.

Then again the larger question is how would Sasami know how to cook Japanese?

SnowQueen
      Even bigger question is how everyone from different planet knew how to speak fluent Japanese right from the get go ._. Lol

Anyway i love your reviews drillmaster mmhmm1 (sorry i never commented on them before but i certainly read them ^^ ((also love your fanfics)) ) also congratulations on your upcoming marriage and and baby girl! kiyonesmile1

Nobuyuki
      Participant

Quote:

how would Sasami know how to cook Japanese?

I imagine it’d be the same time and temperature as anyone else. tuxedodouche

Maybe she’s a fan of The Iron Chef? Or maybe the Masaki household some how gets

The Food Network Channel and they all happen to be big fans of Guy Fieri ?

And yeah, Drillmaster, I felt old too because I have a copy of the TPB for Crisis on Infinite Earths

and since then DC has done a lot of other such things starting with Zero Hour.

drillmaster
      It has been awhile everyone. Unfortunately, I have been very busy with a lot of stuff even after my wedding, so I still do not have the Daughter of Darkness movie completely reviewed, but it WILL be done before the birth of my daughter next month. Since today is my birthday, I wanted to do something a bit special and different. My ORIGINAL plan was to have multiple, random reviews of various shows, because it’s my blog and I can do what I want on my birthday damn it, but I only finished one of them. But it is a good one: the non-canon crossover episode of Steven Universe and Uncle Grandpa! Join me as we try to figure out exactly what Uncle Grandpa is, discuss the similarities of Steven Universe and Tenchi Muyo, and discuss what happens when the fourth wall is broken. Intrigued? Read on and find out!
      Happy, Happy birthday.

And you are so right you can do whatever it is you durn well please on your blog especially on your

b’day.

I haven’t seen either Steven Universe or Uncle Grandpa so don’t know anything about either one, except what I read. Though Uncle Grandpa reminds me of that joke about being

” my own grandfather ” .

SnowQueen
      Being a big fan of Steven Universe i really loved your reading this review! ^o^

To be honest when before this episode came out i was hating the idea or UG and Steven being together just because i really didn’t think it was going to work at all. The art styles just seemed way to off as of the humor styles but I’m glad i was wrong and thought the episode was hilarious! (The ship joke was my favorite joke) Especially Amethyst and Pearl. Omg if they werent exactly like Ayeka and Ryoko before they certainly were in this episode.

When you get the time you should definitely do more Steven Universe reviews. If not the whole series just episodes here and there. Keep doing what you do and Happy Birthday!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/6e56860afa5278ad49e589a6042ba603/tumblr_o0wz6zhTnC1uw74fvo3_250.png" />

http://41.media.tumblr.com/516959f2a868689d4bf5f469799875ce/tumblr_ny5d2rkzBl1uw74fvo2_250.jpg" />

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.