Notice any Code Geass influence

Forums Tenchi Muyo! Discussion Anime Notice any Code Geass influence

• This topic is empty.
    Just me, or does anyone notice some of the characters resemble characters from Code Geass? I mean just in terms of looks.

No one think Doll looks just like C.C., come on people. Or Chiaia resembles Kallen, or Aura resembles Vedella, and there might be more but I am not sure. Doll looking like C.C. that you can’t argue with me, they look very much alike, the other two maybe you argue that.

I am not saying it is a bad thing, I am just wondering if you guys see the same resembles I do.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Replies
      shadowsfall0
      Participant
      none
      Ahh Code Geass, an old obsession of mine for a time :D

As for the resemblances, it was one of the few things I noticed indefinitely since I had watched Code Geass months before even watching SKT. Doll I admit has some similarities, although in my opinion this pertains to the new way anime has often recycled archetypes for characters and even some appearances(note that this is the way I have seen it, and in no way am bashing on either show of course).

More proof of this is Chiaia’s resemblance to Kallen, which of course is very easy to spot with the hairstyle and color. Vedella certainly looks like Aura save for the eyes and ears.

Kajishima may have done some looking at other mech anime during his time, although I dont know how long these characters have been in existence. They may have been pulled up in Doujins or novels I haven’t read. Regardless, a lot of authors base characters from some inspiration from another source, and this may have been the case.

Hah, if it isn’t then it sure as hell is a huge weird coincidence 😆

"For the curse of life is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."
      tenchi82fan
      I am not trying to bad mouth it, there probably where characters that looked like that before Code Geass. But I could see it less if you didn’t have a C.C. look alike and Kallen look alike in the same show, so I am thinking it was influenced by that, besides it easier for me to reminded of Code Geass since they both mecha shows.

BTW, I am hoping if and when there is a War on Geminar abridged, mention those simularities.

I’ll agree with you that Chiaia is a dead ringer for Kallen, from her character design to her to the personality. But the rest, I just don’t see it. Personally I feel you’re grasping way too hard.

That said, to me Yukine looks like Soma Peiris, from Gundam 00, or at least the Soma Peiris found in a number of doujin covers. I don’t remember enough of Double-O to comment on how well they match up in the anime itself.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hdzbs4.jpg" />

http://i44.tinypic.com/2w4mzc5.jpg" />

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      While it’s almost always impossible to discern how much (if at all) person A was inspired by [x], when you notice or suspect similarities such as these, it’s never “wrong” to point out your opinion.

Myself being largely unfamiliar with Code Geass (yes, I’m such a noob) my opinion don’t weigh much here, but on a superficial level, I do see your points Amitav (& yours, shades, with regards to Yukine). Part of the “problem” international critics often bring up with anime as a medium is, while it can have very vibrant, unique characters, not only do they often fit into well-established archetypes, but stylistically anime characters are often drawn with very similar features and techniques across series, which at its worse leaves viewers with a “cookie cutter” impression of stock character designs (thus to many Western viewers, when they hear “anime” they think of a specific, stereotypical look that they think all anime has; they’re wrong, of course, but they’re not terribly far off by and large).

Wrapping up, while comparisons of specific characters in relation to other specific characters (personality-wise, appearance-wise, or whatever) will often never go beyond fans’ subjective opinions or pondering, everyone (Kajishima included) is inspired by others, it’s nothing new to the creative process, nor is it a sign of weak creativity or anything else (but mindlessly copying something is, however *cough cough, Hunger Games, *cough Battle Royale *cough…pardon me). Kajishima may have been inspired by Code Geass for Geminar, but then again maybe he wasn’t; could be coincidence, but my personal opinion is it’s highly unlikely that it’s entirely coincidence, he probably “borrowed” from it. I mean, for all us Tenchi fans, as novel as Tenchi truly is, if you haven’t done so already, stop by your local internet and look up Oh My Goddess (or, Ah My Goddess, anime form). There’s another instance where I think there’s credible reason to believe Kajishima got some inspiration (imo, of course).

Also in the case of Geminar, it is important to remember Kajishima wrote the bulk of it back in 1999, long before titles like Code Geass & Gundam 00 existed. However, even he admits that he went back and updated the character designs before AIC finally approved Geminar, as be felt the designs had aged too much. That being the case, while redesigning the characters of Geminar, I think it is natural that Kajishima would be inspired by the latest titles currently airing.

http://i41.tinypic.com/15fgl8w.jpg" />

WisperG
      Whoa, are those the old Geminar designs?
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      Yep.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.