Ohayocon ’14

Forums Fan Stuff Convention Stuff Ohayocon ’14

• This topic is empty.
    Just a note that anyone looking to go, the hotels near to con are all booked up already.

You pretty much have holiday inns, a travellodge, knights inn, and a red roof within 20 mins drive

under $76 a night that still have rooms. Obviouslly the RRI is the more upscale of those.

Was bored so I looked it up, sice we get corporate hotel discounts.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Replies
      julia
      I was planning on possibly going with a friend who recently got into anime, but I have no solid plans yet. I’ll check with him to see what’s up! Also I don’t know my work schedule… but I am bound to have some free time, and even if I don’t get a badge I’d love to maybe head down there and hang out/walk the halls for a little bit?

Gah I feel bad I’ve been so fickle with convention plans xD but I def want to meet up (I only live like 2 miles away, I can walk there for sure if the weather isn’t bad) if you guys attend!

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Julia, are you really only two miles away? You should seriously consider just stopping by for a bit.
      julia
      Yep, I am :D I might… : > Eeeee but I hope to meet up with you guys! ^_^
      jgzinv
      I could come for late night Fri – Sun but that’s it.

I’d have to drive right from work.

julia
      Sooo… I just got my work schedule… 4-8 on friday and 12-4 on saturday… I might see if I can give my mom these shifts… VERY slim chance of that happening, though. I also won’t be buying a badge since I wouldn’t be able to go the whole weekend but I can come wander the halls a bit on sunday if anyone wanted to meet up.
      jgzinv
      So what’re we taking to Ohayocon as something to watch while we pass out in the evening hours?

Some ideas:

Wolf Children (movie)

Space Dandy (provided CN is in the hotel or we can stream)

Blue Sub No. 6 Ep 1

Crest of the Stars movie: Birth

Macross Plus OVA

The Place Promised in Our Early Days

Summer Wars

julia
      I know I say this a lot, but The Place Promised in Our Early Days is also something on my list. I saw 5 centimeters per second and voices of a distant star, both are so good! So I bet that movie is good as well kiyonesmile1
      jgzinv
      I haven’seen 5cm but I did see everything before that, and Place is indeed my favorite.

If you can get off work you could stop by the hotel and watch it. We won’t have a hotel sun of course.

julia
      Actually!! Today, my boss changed my friday and wednesday hours, so on friday I should be working 12:30-4:30(this might change?? but I think this is the plan…), and then on saturday it still should be 12-4. What day will you guys be watching the movie? Also, where are you guys staying? : > I could probably get dropped off for a bit ^^v Hotel sun??
      jgzinv
      We have a Red Roof Inn out by the airport for Fri and Sat, everyone is departing Sun so we have turn it back in then.

http://www.redroof.com/property/Reynoldsburg/OH/43068/Hotels-close-to-Columbus-Airport-East-Freeway-I-70-I-270/RRI033/

We’re not like setting dates for what is watched… haven’t even really decided on anything.

julia
      oh man so far xD I will try to make it if mom can take me and you guys allow me of course :> and ah ok ^^
      jgzinv
      I found out that I should be able to bring the projector as we did at Otakon.

So Dagon, guess who gets to bring speakers…..

julia
      If Kodansha is there and giving out Sailor Moon calendar posters, can someone snag one for me(if it still free of course)? >:3
      jgzinv
      I’ve got a lot to have to do before I leave so I won’t be on the board.

If the Ohayocon crew needs something, shoot me a text.

chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Time for the post-con wrap up! butts1

Tenchiforum Takes Ohayocon 2.22: We Can (Sortof) Redo was a fantastic and eventful experience! Getting most of the band back together and hanging out at the con was great as always, and we had a great time roaming the halls, going to panels, and droppin cash in the dealers room. The highlight for me was attending the “No Need for Tenchi” panel on friday. It was great to see so much diversity on display, not only among the panelists, but in the audience as well. Every preference and opinion got its moment to shine, but we were all united by our love of Tenchi! The best part was when we were able to blow some minds at the end of the panel when we announced the new projects from the “If” and 13.12 doujins! All in all, even though we weren’t able to run the panel this year we were able to boost the forum’s image and meet lots of new friends who like tenchi too!

The only other really noteworthy things I did at the con itself were with JG and Dagon, respectively. The first one was seeing the Fist of the North Star movie for the very first time with JG in one of the viewing rooms. It was a gloriously gory spectacle and I loved every second of its over the top brilliance! Next was attending the Evangelion discussion panel with Dagon later that night, which presented some very interesting theories and possibilities that we hadn’t even considered before and were quite mindblowing!

Hanging out with the lads outside of the con was probably the highlight of the whole trip for me. We watched TONS of classic anime, such as Iczer One, Macross Plus, Giant Robo, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, and I was introduced for the very first time to El Hazard: The Magnificent World colors2 The best though was definitely watching the latest episode of Space Dandy live in the hotel room! So many classic zombie references, so many laughs! 😆

And finally: The loot!

It was a relatively small crop this year, but some of the finest quality stuff I’ve yet to pick up!

First up:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Ohayocon%202014/20140127_154536_zpsfffafizr.jpg" />

This FLCL poster was a great deal, and very pretty I think. Also, it’s apparently almost as old as the show itself, which is cool!

Next: Lots of DVDS!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Ohayocon%202014/20140127_154741_zps3sro3zrn.jpg" />

My thanks to Dagon for spotting this great deal for the ultra-classic Macross Plus!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Ohayocon%202014/20140127_154803_zps8iludfbu.jpg" />

As was mentioned in a recent post, I picked up a copy of the 80’s sci-fi Iczer One from AIC for quite a good price.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Ohayocon%202014/20140127_154832_zpsqa01rhco.jpg" />

Finally, Giant Robo! What more can I say? I’ve been wanting to add this to my collection for a while now, and for $15 I wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity!

And because no con is complete without some sort of Eva purchase:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/chucklocker/Ohayocon%202014/20140127_155155_zpsq17hjwqa.jpg" />

The wunder-ful AAA Wunder! This little model came in a box and is surprisingly good looking for being so small and cheap.

Well, that’s it for my experience at Ohayocon 2014. It was a great con in every way, and I definitely plan to go next year as well if possible. I only wish what happened after the con was as enjoyable, but that’s a rant that will be coming soon to a thread near you…

Nil Admirari
      none
      Not a bad haul, though the highlight by far is getting the -If- and 13.12 facts out and drawing some eyes to the forum!
      The-Kaiser
      Participant
      Epic Anime Swag there :)
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      Mega Awesome! About how much did Iczer set you back, chuck?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Thanks Nil and Kaiser! $10,Who.
      Are we going to be seeing a recap or video of said adventure?
      chucklocker
      Participant
      none
      Sadly, there wasn’t much to film or take pictures of so a fullblown video like the one from Otakon isn’t going to happen. However, we did take a few pics, so you can probably count on more complete wrap-up in the news section (or wherever the con write-ups are) to come sooner rather than later.
      jgzinv
      For the sakes of completeness, and since the links are a bit funky,

http://tenchiforum.tumblr.com/post/74671449938/so-despite-the-blizzard-conditions-tenchiforum

There’s some pics on the TF tumbler for 2014.

I should probably update this with my own recap later.

julia
      FINALLY :D Nice pictures! Really wish I could have met up with you guys
      Nobuyuki
      Participant
      wth2 There’s a tumblr?
Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.