Ohayocon ’16

Forums Fan Stuff Convention Stuff Ohayocon ’16

• This topic is empty.
    So Ohayocon’s January 15 – 17, 2016. Columbus, OH.

Hotels are in short supply as far out as August/September the year prior.

So anyone else looking at going?

I’m trying to figure out my job situation since I’ll be unemployed in 2 weeks.

But I’m planning on doing something somehow, since my anime club goes up there as well.

Potential Attendees:

JGZinv,

Dagon

Chuck

Crazed

+ 2 from JG’s club.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      wwwwhhhhoooo
      none
      So hard for me to try and peg anything in my life in advance right now lol, so don’t feel like you gotta’ hold a spot for me but I was thinking the other day about Ohayocon in general, and how geographically it might be a good place for a lot of us to potentially meet up as the years go by; it’s fairly centralized based on where a lot of us stateside live (got a lot of East Coasters in administration, and that’s a ways away from NE).

So yeah if I can, I’d like to go this year, and I’d like to know who else wants to attempt not only this year but consider Ohayocon as kind of “the con” where fun yearly (or bi-yearly, or whenever people can do it) meetups can occur.

jgzinv
      Hopefully in a couple years we’ll have our own con…

I’ve got to see who from my club will go, then I’ll be making reservations.

I’m going for the RRI, Dagon and Chuck prefer the Hyatt.

Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

I only think that the con will take place in a small building or a reserved room, we have a dedicated fans to Tenchi, but that strong enough for a small con.

jgzinv
      You underestimate the power of the otaku-side… woooo1
      Yukinojo
      Participant
      none

JGZinv wrote:

You underestimate the power of the otaku-side…

Most like me are poor, can’t make the time for it, or never traveled far

wwwwhhhhoooo
      none

JGZinv wrote:

I’ve got to see who from my club will go, then I’ll be making reservations.

I’m going for the RRI, Dagon and Chuck prefer the Hyatt.

That’d be something if you’re hosting your own con, Z-man, we’ll do what we can to make it there.

jgzinv
      Well not to continue derailing my own thread, but having a con in lousiville is good for a few reasons.

1. It’s about as central as you can get without being in the breadbasket states. It’s not on the great lakes either,

like ACen is, much less Chicago traffic hell.

2. We’ve got SDF (that’s Standiford Field, not Super Defense Fortress sadly) which is about as easy to get in an out

of as an airport can be. It’s basically a big Y, with gates at the top and arrivals and departures at the bottom, single level,

except for baggage claim on the partial lower deck with the pickup area. We still have one way fares to a lot of places being a southwest, ups, and delta hub.

3. It’s a food town. It’s impossible to go 3 blocks without finding something cooking.

4. We have a lot of hotels and the convention centers are expanding in the next two years.

The largest negative really is Louisville Metro got their ass handed to them with the bridges. We’ve got 3 main bridges, one shut down for a while when they discovered major cracks in it, which blew out an already overtaxed system. So they suddenly patched that one, started demolishing the main I65 route, and started building another one that was in limbo for over 10 years. So traffic at the KY/IN border and downtown is mostly a disaster. The little bridge downtown is only a two lane and walk path, so that’s of little help. By the time it’s said and done around 2018, we’ll have 5 bridges, and tolls. Did I mention that the new north end bridge is part underwater tunnel, and has no emergency or escape hatches?

Besides that, small meeting spaces being hard to come by, and Internet not being always available, we’re in pretty good shape.

We’re meeting Friday to discuss incorporation and funding, we’re up at 220 something members, so… not too far off.

jgzinv
      My group is headed up tonight, maybe we’ll get some good photos, etc to share.
      jgzinv
      Here’s about 150 photos from Ohayocon

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.1679174235662962&type=1

I caught Dagon and Julia below the dealers hall briefly, but we didn’t do much.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.