Options for Fansub Collection

Forums Off Topic Other Anime Options for Fansub Collection

• This topic is empty.
    I’ve been discussing this with Almael over at KinoftheStars,and I thought I put it up for discussion here as well.

The gist of it is that when I was first collecting DVDs I knew nothing about the proper way of cleaning discs and so sometimes used kleenex on them.As a result most of my fansubs are now pretty much shot.

The only reason my PGSM DVDs aren’t as bad as the rest is that I got them about the time I learned using kleenex was actually a bad thing.

Fortunately I was able to buy the official version of Giant Robo so my main problems are with

Kimagure Orange Road and Please Save My Earth.

So what do I do,aside from waiting for The Doctor to arrive with the TARDIS to take me back to

2003/4?(Hopefully the Seventh one since Ace is my favorite companion soawesome1 )

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Replies
      camcabbit
      Are they factory / pressed discs, or are they burnt ones? How bad are the scratches on the shiny side of the discs? If the discs have any scratches on the label sides, they’re pretty much trash. If it’s just on the shiny side that the laser would read, you might be able to get a disc cleaner tool, such as this one.

The best way that I’ve found to clean a disc (cd/dvd/blu-ray) is to get a small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol, and give the shiny side a good spray. Then use a really soft cloth, preferably lint-free, to wipe from the center outward. No circular wiping, no off-center axis wiping.

Also, consider making backups of your factory-made discs while keeping the originals in their cases, only playing the backed-up discs. If the backup discs get ruined, just make another copy. There are tools out there to remove the copy protection. I won’t say about them here, as I don’t know the site’s rules on DRM removal.

Nobuyuki
      Participant
      IIRC, a cleaner’s what put scratches in them to begin.
      camcabbit

Nobuyuki wrote:

IIRC, a cleaner’s what put scratches in them to begin.

That’s why the good ones come with a polishing compound, and not just an abrasive wheel. Put smaller and smaller scratches into the material to smooth out the imperfections, in this case it would be the scratch. If it’s a deep scratch, obviously it’d be bad to remove so much material that you’re holding a dvd rougly the thickness of a sheet of card stock. But for small scratches, using a finer and finer polishing compound would possibly allow the laser to read it again. I’ve even seen toothpaste used as an abrasive to smooth out scratches in audio cds. It works.

Besides, it’s not like you’d lose much since the disc can’t be read anyhow…

I’ve personally used this to fill in and remove scratches from dvds, and it worked well enough for me to get the data off the pressed disc.

I already have a Skip Doctor(tm)DVD cleaner and have used it before though with moderate success.

For example after using it on my Please Save My Earth dvds they played ok until the about either the midway point of each episode or the ending,and then I would have to go through the

bother of taking them out and cleaning them again.

I don’t know if this was because I wasn’t cleaning them thoroughly enough or if I wasn’t putting enough pressure on when I put them in the machine to grind out the scratches.In any case it doesn’t seem to work as well as I hoped it would.

AFAIG: I really don’t want to waste money if it won’t work.

Now if someone would please officially re-license KOR and license PSME my problems would be over.
      Well Nozoimi is getting ready for the latest poll at Rightstuf by asking:which series would you like to see Nozoimi do next? I put in my two cents worth by saying Kimagure Orange Road.

Please if KOR winds up on the poll to vote for it.

Almael
      Sure thing!

I sure need the new media version with hopefully more extras.

Yeah,I just hope that it makes the cut and that it wins the poll.

I like what they did with Utena so just hope that KOR will get the treatment next.

PSME as a less of a chance because it’s not as popular or as well known.But KOR

being such a pivotal series should get re-released by someone.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.